List of embellishments; corrections

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Eneas Mackenzie

Year published

1827

Page

781

Citation Show another format:

'List of embellishments; corrections', Historical Account of Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Including the Borough of Gateshead (1827), pp. 781. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43413 Date accessed: 29 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF EMBELLISHMENTS.

Page
The chapel at the Barras Bridge, to face Title.
1 Initial letter T, emblematic of the Tyne river god.
89 Ground plan, section, and elevation of the Castle.
104 Gateway in the interior of the Castle.
109 West Gate.
111 Newgate, from the south.
113 Pilgrim Street Gate, ditto.
114 Pandon Gate.
124 Nave of St Nicholas' church.
157 Newcastle upon Tyne, from the south. Regalia of the Corporation.
186 View in Pandon Dean.
201 Eldon Square, Blackett Street.
215 The Exchange, Guild-hall, new Fish Market, and Merchants' Court, Sandhill.
218 Ground plan and perspective view of the New Prisons, in Carliol Croft.
229 Theatre-royal.—See page 231.
231 The Assembly Rooms.
233 The Mansion-house.—See page 231.
235 St. Nicholas' church, from the north-east.
242 Interior view of ditto, from the west.
291 Porch of ditto, on the south side.
322 New window, north side of St. George's porch, St. Nicholas' church.
323 St. Andrew's church.
343 St. John's church.—See page 323.
366 The altar of the Roman Catholic chapel, in Pilgrim Street.
415 Royal Free Grammar-school.
446 Clergy Jubilee School.—See page 415.
452 Royal Jubilee School.—See ditto.
454 Royal Improved School for Girls.—See ditto
461 The Library-rooms, &c. of the Literary and Philosophical Society.—See page 231.
490 St. Nicholas' library.
500 St. Ann's chapel.
501 The Infirmary.
513 The Dispensary.—See page 501.
516 The House of Recovery—See ditto.
517 The Lying-in Hospital.—See ditto.
528 Jesus' Hospital, &c. Manor Chare.
531 Peace and Unity Hospital, Westgate.—See page 528.
550 Keelmen's Hospital, New Road.—See ditto.
603 Ancient seal of the Corporation.
679 The Trinity-house Chapel and Hospital See page 528.
714 St. Andrew's church.
751 St. Mary's church, Gateshead.
753 Ruins of St. Edmund's chapel.—See page 751.
754 New chapel of St. Edmund.—See ditto

When it is intended to bind the work in two volumes, the publishers recommend the first volume to end at page 414.

CORRECTIONS, OMISSIONS, AND ADDITIONS.

Page line
18 6 from bottom, for ayoynted read apoynted.
39 9 from top, for prophanation read profanation.
90 17 from top, for eschaet read escheat.
96 1 top, for inditing read indicting.
102 24 from bottom, for Wilking read Wilkey.
104 12 from top, tessilated read tessclated.
180 1 for east read west.
200 3 from bottom, for in read on.
285 14 from top, for Wetstcir read Wetstein.
340 19 from bottom, of wanted before 8611.
392 13 from top, for James read Robert.
482 5 from top, for West read Watts.
506 9 from bottom, for James read Thomas.
530 8 from top, for 91 feet read 70½ yards.
590 7 from bottom, for John read Jonathan.

Page 333.—The inscription on the tomb-stone of Robert Page is,— "Hic situs est Robertus Page, Armiger, Vir virtute et recte factis insignis diutissime languecens morti succubiut A. D. 1807, Ætatique 69." English, "Here lieth interred Robert Page, Esq. a man rigidly moral and scrupulously exact in his transactions. He died after a protracted illness A. D. 1807, aged 69."

Page 380.—Mrs. Watts was a member of the Established Church, though her father belonged to Hanover Square chapel.

Page 382.—The Quaker meeting-house occupied the scite of the present poor-house.

Page 414.— The old Ballast Hills burial-ground measured only 7438 square yards, or 1 acre, 2 roods, 5 perches, 27 yards.

Page 444—Mr. Fryer merely assisted his master, Mr. C. Hutton.

Page 587.— Mr. W. Harvey designed the cuts for Northcote's Fables. They were mostly engraved by Mr. J. Jackson.

Page 592.—In mentioning the eminent teachers of music in Newcastle, Messrs. John and Charles Millear were inadvertently omitted.

Page 676.—The Duke of Wellington was admitted to the freedom of the Cordwainers' Company, April 12,1814. His grace's letter of thanks is hung up in their Hall.



<--Previous:
Index