THE STRAND (NORTHERN TRIBUTARIES).—DRURY LANE AND CLARE MARKET.
OLD CRAVEN HOUSE (1800).
The Hundred of Drury—Drury House, afterwards called Craven House—The "Queen of Bohemia"—Drury Lane—Eminent Inhabitants—Residence of Nell Gwynne—The "Cock and Magpie"—The "Craven Head" and the Norfolk Giant—Disreputable Character of Drury Lane
in the past Century—Pepys' Visit to the "Cockpit"—Puritan Observances—The Theatre in Vere Street—"Spiriting Away" an Infant—Princes Street—Clare Market—John Henley, the Demagogue—Clare House—Killigrew's Theatre—Mrs. Bracegirdle's Benevolence—The
"Bull's Head" and the Artists' Club—The "Spiller's Head" Tavern—Clare Market Chapel—Denzil Street—Holles Street.
"O may thy virtue guard thee through the roads
of Drury's mazy courts and dark abodes!"—Gay's "Trivia."
"Paltry and proud as drabs in Drury Lane."—Pope.
"On the borders of St. Giles-in-the-Fields," says
the London Spy, "is situated that ancient and
venerable spot the Hundred of Drury, which, I
hear, is the property of two or three parishes more."
The character of this region may be inferred from
the words which follow: "There are reckoned to
be one hundred and seven 'pleasure-houses' within
and about this settlement; and a Roman Catholic
priest, who has lodged here many years, assures me
that to his knowledge the Societies for the Reformation of Morals have taken as much pains, and
expended as large sums to reclaim this new Sodom,
as would have fitted out a force sufficient to have
conquered the Spanish West Indies."
Pennant remarks it as a singular occurrence that
this lane, "of late times so notorious for intrigue,"
should receive its name from a word which, in the
language of Chaucer, had an amorous signification:
"Of bataile and of chevalrie,
Of ladies' love and druerie,
Anon I wot you tell."
Drury House, from which the lane originally took
its name, stood at the west end of Wych Street. It
was built by Sir William Drury, who is reported to
have been not only the head of a great family, but
Knight of the Garter. He held a command in the
Irish wars in the reign of Elizabeth, and showed
great ability as an officer. He unfortunately fell
in a duel with a Sir John Burroughes, about a
foolish quarrel for precedency. The house deserves
to be remembered as the place where the rash
friends of the Queen's favourite, the Earl of Essex,
devised those wild schemes which led to the ruin
of himself and his adherents. The "Account of
St. Clement's in 1734," to which we have so often
referred, speaks of it as "a very large house, or
which may rather be termed several houses. The
entrance," adds the writer, "is through a pair of
gates, which leadeth into a large yard for the reception of coaches." At the back of the house was
a handsome garden. "In the following century,"
says Allen, in his "History of London," "it was
possessed by the heroic Lord Craven, who rebuilt
it. It was lately a large brick pile, concealed by
other buildings, and turned into a public-house
bearing the sign of the 'Queen of Bohemia,' the
earl's admired mistress, whose battles he fought,
animated at once by love and duty. When on the
death of her husband he could aspire to her hand,
he is supposed to have succeeded; at all events
history says that they were privately married, and
that he built for her the fine seat at Hampstead
Marshal, in Berkshire, afterwards destroyed by fire."
The services rendered by Lord Craven to London,
his native city, are worthy of being recorded here.
He was so indefatigable in preventing the ravages
of fire, that it is said "his horse would smell the
outbreak of a fire, and neigh to give the alarm."
He and Monk, Duke of Albemarle, stayed in London throughout the visitation of the Great Plague
in 1665, and at the hazard of their own lives
preserved order in the midst of the horrors of the
time. Allen adds that there used to be in Craven
Buildings a very good fresco portrait of this hero
in armour, mounted on a white horse, and with his
truncheon in hand, and on each side an earl's and a
baron's coronet, with the letters "W. C." (William
Craven). This painting, though several times recoloured in oils, has long since perished; but an
engraving of it is preserved in Smith's "Antiquities
THE "COCK AND MAGPIE," DRURY LANE. (From an Original Sketch in 1840.)
It deserves to be recorded of Sir Robert Drury
that he for some time entertained, as a welcome
and honoured guest at his mansion in Drury Lane,
the amiable and learned Dr. John Donne, afterwards Dean of St. Paul's, when he was young and
poor, having contracted marriage with a young
lady of high connections, against the will, or at all
events without the consent, of her relatives. It is
added that he not only gave him and his wife the
free use of apartments, but also was "a cherisher
of his studies, and such a friend as sympathised
with him and his in all their joys and sorrows."
Such friends, no doubt, were rare then; as rare,
perhaps, as now-a-days; but it is a pleasure to record such an act of genuine friendship.
The exact date of the removal of Lord Craven's
family from Drury Lane to their real town residence
at Bayswater, where now is Craven Hill, is not
known; but it must have been just before the
close of the seventeenth century. Craven House
itself was taken down early in the present century,
and the site is now occupied by the Olympic
Theatre, as stated in the last chapter.
Drury Lane was once the "Via de Aldwych," a
name still preserved in Wych Street, as already
mentioned. Then the great family of the Druries
built in it a country house, and the Earls of Craven
and Clare followed. It became a Belgravia. Here
lived Archibald, the famous and ill-fated Marquis
of Argyle. Here, too, close to Cradle Alley, Arthur
Annesley, Earl of Anglesey, and Lord Privy Seal
under Charles II., had his town house. Here, too,
in the heyday of her glory, lived Nell Gwynne,
the "pretty Nelly" whom Pepys saw "standing at
her lodgings' door in her smock sleeves and bodice,
a mighty pretty creature." Here also resided John
Lacy, the comedian, and Sir William Alexander,
the poet, afterwards Earl of Stirling.
At the same period was residing here a relative
of the staid Mr. Evelyn, who, after recording in
his "Diary" that he attended the marriage of his
niece to the eldest son of Mr. Attorney Montagu,
at Southampton Chapel, and eulogising the magnificence of the entertainment, adds, "the bride
was bedded at my sister's lodgings in Drury
It was in Drury Lane, not very far from the steps
of the Olympic Theatre, that Lord Mohun made
his unsuccessful attempt to carry off the beautiful
and much-wooed actress, Mrs. Bracegirdle, as we
shall presently show.
By the time of Steele, Drury Lane had changed
its character, and its narrow, close, and filthy
courts were rising into existence.
All that is now left of Drury Lane is its memory
of past glories. The shades of the persons above
mentioned, as well as those of the pretty Mrs.
Bracegirdle, the fiery Lord Mohun, and of the
quarrelsome Carlo Fantom, the Croatian, who
challenged his man and killed him, "because the
noise of his spurs pleased him not," haunt it still.
On the west side is a small burial-ground, unknown
to Stow or Strype, to most of the map-makers, and
to Peter Cunningham. It lies between Russell
Street and Long Acre. For many years it had
exhibited a most desolate and miserable aspect;
indeed, it had become a sort of "no man's land."
During the year 1874, however, the authorities
of St. Martin's-in-the-Fields, to whom the ground
belongs, at some considerable expense had the
graveyard levelled and converted into a garden
with walks and shrubberies. A neat brick wall
separates the grounds from the public street, and
on one side a brick building has been erected, to
be used as a mortuary.
Towards the lower end of Drury Lane, nearly
opposite to Drury or Craven House, is a quaint
old gabled house, with its pents still remaining.
A quarter of a century ago it was known as the
"Cock and Magpie," but more recently as "Stockley's Cheap Bookshop." It is said that the region
to the north, leading up towards St. Giles's, was
once known as "Cock and Pie Fields;" but antiquaries are divided on the question as to whether
they were so called from the house, or the house
from them. Whichever may be the case, it is certain that the "Cock and Magpie" as a sign, is
but a travesty of a chivalric legend, which Douce
thus explains:—"In the days of ancient chivalry
it was the practice to make solemn vows or engagements for the performance of any considerable
enterprise. This was usually performed during
some great feast or entertainment, at which a
roasted peacock, being served up by ladies in a
dish of gold or silver, was presented to the knight,
who then made his particular vow with great solemnity. When this custom had fallen into disuse, the
peacock nevertheless continued to be a favourite
dish, and was introduced on the table in a pie, the
head, with gilded beak, being proudly elevated
above the crust, and the splendid tail expanded.
Other birds of smaller value were afterwards introduced in the same manner; and the recollection of
the old peacock vows might occasion the less serious,
or even the burlesque, imitation of swearing, not
only by the bird itself, but also by the pie: hence,
probably, came the oath 'By cock and pie,' for
the use of which no very great antiquity can be
found." From "Cock o' pie" to "Cock and magpie" the transition was easy and obvious.
Opposite to the above is the "Craven Head"
Tavern, which, from 1851 to 1855, was kept by
Mr. Robert Hales, the "Norfolk Giant." He was
born in 1820, near Yarmouth, where his father was
a small farmer, and was one of nine children, all
far above the ordinary stature. He was exhibited
by Barnum, in America, in 1848, and was one of
the curiosities of London in the year of the first
Great Exhibition. In the April of that year he
was presented to the Queen, who gave him a
watch and chain; and also to other crowned heads.
He stood upwards of eight feet in height. His
death occurred in 1863, at the age of forty-eight.
Little Drury Lane is a narrow street, leading
down from Drury Lane to St. Mary's Church in
the Strand. Its eastern side is composed of a
range of houses which have stood apparently more
than two centuries and a half.
It will be remembered that in the Tatler (No. 46)
Steele gives a picture of the morality of Drury Lane,
describing it as a district divided into particular
"ladyships," analogous to "lordships" in other
parts, "over which matrons of known ability preside." Its character, too, as well in the present as
in the past century, is delicately hinted at by Gay,
in the lines quoted from "Trivia," at the head of
this chapter. The "Dog," a low public-house in
this street, was known as the robbers' den; and
nothing can confirm more clearly the character
of the immediate neighbourhood, to which we have
referred, than the fact that Drury Lane was the
scene of the "Harlot's Progress," by Hogarth.
In Drury Lane was one of the several "cockpits," or places reserved for cock-fighting, which a
century ago or earlier were to be found scattered
about London. Mr. John Timbs tells us that one
of our oldest theatres was called the "Cock-pit,"
namely, the "Phœnix" in Drury Lane, and that the
site of it is still to be traced in the name of Pit or
Pitt Place, an abridgment of "Cock-pit" Place.
Samuel Pepys thus describes in his "Diary" a visit
to one of these places, not far from Drury Lane:—"December 21. To Shoe Lane to a cock-fighting
at a new pit: but Lord! to see the strange variety
of people, from Parliament men, to the poorest
'prentices, bakers, brewers, butchers, draymen, and
what not; and all these fellows, one with another,
cursing and betting. Strange that such poor
people, that look as if they had not bread to put
in their mouths, shall bet three or four pounds at
a time, and lose it, and yet bet as much the next
battle, so that one of them will lose £10 or £20
at a meeting! I soon had enough of it."
From Stubs's "Anatomie of Abuses," published
in 1585, it is evident that in the good old Tudor
times Sunday was the day of all the week especially
set apart for this amusement. As early as the
reign of Henry II., according to Fitzstephen, cockfighting was the sport of school-boys in and around
London on Shrove Tuesday; and from that time,
though occasionally forbidden by some of our
sovereigns, it has continued to exist among us, as
we shall see hereafter.
At the beginning of the eighteenth century it
would seem that Drury Lane had succeeded to a
part at least of the reputation of Grub Street, as
the residence of poor poets and hack rhymsters,
as witness the words of Pope, in his "Dunciad"—
"Cries he who high in Drury Lane,
Lulled by soft zephyrs through the broken pane,
Rhymes ere he wakes, and prints before Term ends,
Obliged by hunger, and request of friends."
And in like spirit wrote Oliver Goldsmith—
'Where the 'Red Lion,' staring o'er the way,
Invites each passing stranger that can pay;
Where Calvert's butt, and Parson's black champagne,
Regale the drabs and bloods of Drury Lane,
There, in a lonely room, from bailiffs snug,
The Muse found Scroggins, stretch'd beneath a rug."
"Their Majesties' servants," as might have been
expected, fared but ill during the austere tyranny
of the Puritan faction. At the Restoration the survivors of the old actors naturally formed themselves
into a company, and Downes tells us that they
acted at the Tennis-court, in Vere Street, Clare
Market, till a new theatre was built; and Guest is
of opinion that both before and after that event
they performed at the Cockpit in Drury Lane.
The theatre in Vere Street was opened November
8th, 1660, by Killigrew and Davenant, under a
patent which allowed women to act the female
parts, a practice till then unknown in England.
It was at this theatre that an unknown young
lady was performing the character of Roxana, in
the Siege of Rhodes, who fell a victim to Aubrey de
Vere, the last (and most unworthy) Earl of Oxford
of the ancient line. This scion of a noble house,
finding that he could secure his prey in no other
way, brought to her lodging a sham clergyman and
a sham marriage certificate; and she learnt to her
cost, when it was too late, that she had no pretension whatever to style herself Countess of Oxford.
It is clear that although the Puritans disapproved
of plays pur et simple, they tolerated mixed entertainments of a musical kind. Such an entertainment,
we know from Evelyn, was given after the death
of Oliver Cromwell, for he writes, in May, 1659:—"I went to see a new opera after the Italian way
in recitative music and scenes. … It was
prodigious that in a time of such public consternation such a 'vanity' should be kept up or permitted." That this entertainment was something
different from a tragedy or comedy is clear from
another entry by Evelyn in his "Diary," in January,
1661:—"After divers years since I had seen any
play, I went to see acted The Scornful Lady, at a
new theatre in Lincoln's Inn Fields."
Mr. Peter Cunningham tells us that Laguerre,
whose "sprawling saints" are immortalised by
Pope, was a member of a club of virtuosi who
used to meet at a house in Drury Lane, and that
he painted on its walls a Bacchanalian procession,
which he presented to its members. But apparently the habitat of this club was unknown to him.
It was in a low lodging-house in Lincoln Court,
one of the gloomiest purlieus on the eastern side of
the upper part of Drury Lane, that in 1861 was
discovered the infant son of a Mr. and Mrs. Hill—relatives of the Burdett family—which had been
"spirited away" from its mother's charge at Rugby
by its father. The story is thus told by a writer in
Cassell's Magazine of May 24th, 1873:—
"The boy's own father, after falsifying the
register of its birth, took it to London, and handed
it over to some women whom he met in the street.
The police were soon put upon the track of
the culprits, who were shown to have received
the missing infant from its unnatural parent. The
papers took up the matter, which became a 'nine
days' wonder,' and in a little time the child was
discovered in Lincoln Court, Drury Lane, a place
tenanted by the lowest class of Irish. It was in a
sadly dirty state, and such clothing as it had on
its back was not the same which it wore on leaving
Rugby; but in spite of dirt and rags, there was
something about the child which marked it off
from the beggars' brats among whom it was
playing, and its distingué looks led to its recovery.
Ultimately the father was acquitted of the charge
on which he was arraigned. Both he and Mrs.
Hill, however, died shortly afterwards, and the
stolen boy is now happily a ward of the Court of
The following brief extract from a daily paper in
the present year of grace (1874) tells its own sad
story:—"On Saturday Mr. Langham held an inquest
on the body of Miss Eliza Merrit, aged fifty-six, who,
it was said, was the daughter of a Church of England
rector, and after struggling amid ill health to earn a
living as a governess and by needlework, had ultimately, as the evidence showed, died of want,
alone, in a small back room in Drury Lane!"
Drury Lane was inhabited, in the early part of
the present century, by a still lower and rougher
lot than now, if it be true, as stated on apparently
good authority, that Drury Lane had seldom less
than six or seven fights going on upon a Sunday
morning at the same time.
It should be added here that this street—or, at
all events, a part of it—at one time was called
Prince's Street; "but the old name triumphed,"
says Mr. Peter Cunningham, "and Prince's Street
was confined to a new row of tenements branching off to the east, and still distinguished by that
The thoroughfare known as Clare Market, leading
eastwards into Lincoln's Inn Fields, was so called
in honour of the Earl of Clare, who lived "in a
princely mansion" adjacent. His name is inscribed
as a parishioner of St. Clement Danes in the ratebooks of 1617. In Howell's "Londinopolis" of
1657 we read:—"Then is there, towards Drury
Lane, a new market, called Clare Market; then is
there a street and palace of the same name, built
by the Earl of Clare, who lived there in a princely
mansion, having a house, a street, and a market
both for flesh and fish, all bearing his name." It
is thus mentioned by Strype:—"Clare Market,
very considerable and well served with provisions,
both flesh and fish; for, besides the butchers in the
shambles, it is much resorted unto by the country
butchers and higglers. The market-days are Wednesdays and Saturdays. The toll belongs to the
Duke of Newcastle (Pelham - Holles) as ground
"This market," says Nightingale, in the tenth
volume of the "Beauties of England and Wales,"
"stands on what was originally called Clement's
Inn Fields. In the year 1657 a Bill was passed
for preventing the increase of buildings, in which
was a clause permitting the Earl of Clare to erect
the market, which bore his title, in these fields, to
be held on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
The earl, it seems, also erected a chapel of ease to
St. Clement's, which is said to have been converted
to dwelling-houses. That these lands were before
in the possession of Holles we have already shown
under Clement's Inn. Charles I., in 1640, granted
his license to Thomas York, his executors, &c., to
erect as many buildings as they thought proper
upon St. Clement's Inn Fields, the inheritance of
the Earl of Clare, 'to be built on each side of the
causeway, leading from Gibbon's Bowling Alley, at
the coming-out of Lincoln's Inn Fields, to the
Rein Deer Yard, that leadeth unto Drury Lane,
not to exceed, on either side, the number of 120
feet in length or front, and 60 feet in breadth, to
be of stone or brick.' (fn. 1) Charles I. issued another
license in 1642, permitting Gervase Holles, Esq.,
to erect fifteen houses, a chapel, and to make
several streets of the width of thirty, thirty-four,
and forty feet. These streets still retain the names
and titles of their founders, in Clare Street, Denzil
Street, Holles Street, &c." Rein Deer Yard was,
probably, what is now called Bear Yard, and
Gibbon's Bowling Alley was covered by the first
theatre erected by Sir William Davenant, whence
he afterwards removed to Portugal Street. Here,
during the administration of Sir Robert Walpole,
in the reign of George II., John Henley, a disappointed demagogue, stood on a tub and vented his
factious ebullitions, which he distinguished by the
name of oratory. He is alluded to by Pope, in his
"Epistle to Arbuthnot," but not in very quotable
terms. Possessing some abilities, he was also obnoxious to Government by the publication of the
"Hyp Doctor," and other papers on the politics
of the times. A contemporary writer speaks of
"Preacher at once and Zany of the age."
On Henley's death in 1756, his demise was thus
announced in the Gentleman's Magazine:—"Rev.
Orator Henley, aged 64."
We learn from the "Harleian Miscellany" that
the City had a long lawsuit with Lord Clare for
this property, but that at last the City yielded. It
appears, also, from the same source, that the
success of his lordship in obtaining a charter for
his market led to one important result, namely,
the establishment of other markets round about
the metropolis, some of which are now things of
the past, such as Hungerford, Brooke, and Bloomsbury Markets, and that at Petty France, in Westminster, and St. James's and Newport Markets,
which are still in existence.
Of the house of Holles, Lord Clare, whose
family names are so perpetuated in this vicinity, no
remains are left, nor is the precise site of it known.
It was a large and stately mansion, shut in with a
high wall, and its grounds joined on to the eastern
side of those of Craven House. Clare Street is
mentioned in Strype's edition of Stow as "a
good open place fronting the market," while Clare
Market bears the reputation of being "a street well
inhabited by tradesmen." No engraving of old
Clare House is known to exist, nor is any detailed
description of the house to be found. All that we
know is that the Earl of Clare, as we are told by
Howell, lived in his "palace" here in a "princely
manner," to which, we fear, the present aspect of
the place presents a very marked contrast.
With the Earl of Clare, and other aristocratic
denizens of St. Clement Danes, have passed away
"the butchers in the shambles, and country
butchers," who used to supply these wealthy households. The merchandise at present exposed for
sale in Clare Market consists principally of dried
fish, inferior vegetables, and such humble viands,
suited to the pockets of the poor inhabitants of
the narrow courts and alleys around.
The celebrated actress, Mrs. Bracegirdle, we
are told, was in the habit of going often into Clare
Market, and of giving money to such poor basketwomen as were out of employ, thereby calling
down many blessings on her head.
As Clare Market lay between two great theatres,
its butchers and hucksters, as remarked by Mr.
Timbs, were the arbiters of the galleries, and the
leaders of theatrical rows, as well as the musicians
at the marriages of actresses, and the chief mourners
at players' funerals. In one of the many publichouses which, as was natural, abounded here,
Hogarth, in the days of his apprenticeship, was a
frequent boon-companion of Joe Miller.
In Gibbon's Court, Clare Market, was a small
theatre, in which Killigrew's company performed
for a short time. Pepys speaks of it as a handsome building, "the finest, I believe, that ever was
in England." This, however, must have been an
exaggeration. It soon passed away, and its remains were long used as slaughter-houses and carpenters' shops. The butchers of Clare Market are
now nearly extinct; but Mr. P. Cunningham tells
us that so lately as 1850 from 350 to 400 sheep,
and from 50 to 200 oxen, were slaughtered there.
He adds, "In a yard distinct from the more public
portion of the market is the place where the Jews
slaughter their cattle, according to a ceremony prescribed by the laws of their religion.
When Cromwell revived the prohibition of his
predecessor against the erection of new buildings
in and near London, imposing even a fine on its
violation, an exception, we are told, was made in
favour of the new buildings then scarcely finished,
in Clare Market. In consequence of this exemption,
unfortunately for the healthiness of the locality,
they were not made "of brick or stone," or "upright, and without projecting their upper storeys
into the street."
The "Artists' Club," of which Hogarth was a
member, used to meet at the "Bull's Head"
Tavern in this market. Here also was the
"Spiller's Head" Inn, named after James Spiller,
a well-known actor, where was held a club principally consisting of artists, authors, and actors
connected with the Lincoln's Inn Fields Theatre.
It was founded about the year 1690, under the
auspices of Colley Cibber, Tom D'Urfey, and
many noted characters. Of Spiller, Mr. Diprose
tells us, "he was an immense favourite with the
butchers of Clare Market, one of whom was so
charmed with his performances that he took down
the sign of the "Bull and Butcher," and put up
"Spiller's Head." The success or failure both
of actors and pieces appears in those days to have
greatly depended on the verdict of the butchers
of Clare Market, whose approval was sometimes
recorded by managers in their advertisements!
HALL OF THE ROYAL COLLEGE OF SURGEONS.
To the pen of one of these low patrons of the
drama is assigned the following graceful elegy upon
the death of James Spiller in 1729:—
"Down with your marrow-bones and cleavers all,
And on your marrow-bones ye butchers fall;
For prayers from you who never prayed before
Perhaps poor Jemmy may to life restore."
In 1701 there appeared at a place of entertainment in Islington, called "Miles's Music House,"
afterwards known as "Sadler's Wells Theatre," "a
strange sort of monster that does everything like
a monkey, mimics man like a jackanapes, but is
not a jackanapes; jumps upon tables and into
windows on all fours like a cat, but is not a cat;
does all things like a beast, but is not a beast;
does nothing like a man, but is a man! He has
given such wonderful content to the butchers of
Clare Market," says a contemporary writer, "that
the house is every day as full as the Bear Gardens,
and draws the City wives and 'prentices out of
London much more than a man hanged in chains."
Clare Market has of late years been much improved by the establishment of a mission chapel
and schools in its centre, around which other benevolent and charitable institutions have gradually
been grouped, such as a soup-kitchen, a home for
needlewomen, and a working men's club.
Adjoining Clare Market are Holles and Denzil
Streets, the latter "so called," as we are told by a
mural tablet on one of its houses, "by Gilbert,
Earl of Clare, in memory of his uncle Denzil, Lord
Holles, who died in 1679, a great honour to his
name, and the exact paturne of his father's great
meritt, John, Earl of Clare." This Lord Holles, it
will be remembered, was one of the five members
of the House of Commons whose person Charles I.
made an ineffectual effort to seize.
IN LINCOLN'S INN FIELDS.
NEWCASTLE HOUSE. SIR JOHN SOANE'S HOUSE.
DUKE OF ANCASTER'S HOUSE.
Holles Street, which runs into Stanhope Street,
was built in 1647, and was called, like its neighbour Denzil Street, after Holles, Earl of Clare.
Of Vere Street, which runs northwards parallel
to Stanhope Street, we know little except what
Mr. Peter Cunningham has told us, namely, that
in 1688 it numbered among its inhabitants Sir
Thomas Lyttelton and also the poet Ogilby, who
here disposed of his books by a lottery; and that
in it stood Gibbon's Tennis Court, subsequently
converted into a theatre by Killigrew. Of Stanhope Street, in spite of its grand name, we have
no interesting memories to record.