The name of this parish has experienced little variation; in
Doomsday, it is written Beddintone. Bedding, in the Saxon,
signifies a bed or lodging: if any thing is to be inferred from this
etymology, it must be, that Beddington was the first stage out of
London, upon one of the great roads. The Roman road to StaneStreet and Sussex, passed through the parish.
Situation, boundary, and extent.
The village of Beddington lies near two miles to the westward
of Croydon, at the distance of about eleven miles from Westminsterbridge. The parish is bounded on the east by Croydon, on the
north by Mitcham, on the south by Coulsdon and Woodmanstern,
and on the west by Carshalton. It contains about 3800 acres, of
which not more than a fifteenth part is pasture, the remainder
being arable; the soil in general is sandy. In Doomsday, the
whole parish is said to contain twenty-three plough lands; it pays
the sum of 263 l. 14s. to the land tax, which is at the rate of 1s. 6d.
in the pound at Beddington, and 1s. at Wallington.
At the time of the Conqueror's Survey, there were two manors in
Beddington, exclusive of Wallington; one of which, in the reign
of the Confessor, was held of the king by Azor, and the other by
Ulf: fifteen houses in London belonged to the former; and to the
latter, thirteen in London, and eight in Southwark.
Manor of Home Beddington.
The records relating to Azor's manor, sometimes called HomeBeddington, are very complete and satisfactory. The Watevils,
who held it of Ric. de Tonbridge, in the Conqueror's time, were
possessed of it in the reign of Henry II. (fn. 1) ; the right of the mesne,
or intermediate lord, was probably either purchased by, or
granted to that family, as their successors held it immediately
of the king, by the service of rendering annually a wooden
cross-bow, as all the records express. The property of the manor
is to be traced regularly through the families of de Es or de Eys (fn. 2) ,
de Laik (fn. 3) , Gatelier (fn. 4) , and Rogers (fn. 5) , to Thomas Corbett (fn. 5) , who is
called the king's valet, to whom it was granted by Edward I.; from
the Corbetts it descended, by purchase, to the Morleys (fn. 6) , Braytons (fn. 6) , and
Willoughbys (fn. 6) ; these alienations having been made without the
king's consent, he seized the manor into his own hands, but regranted it to Richard Willoughby and his wife, upon their paying
a fine of one hundred shillings. Richard Willoughby left a daughter and heir, Lucy, who was married (fn. 7) , first to Sir Thomas Huscarl,
Knt. (the proprietor at that time of the other manor in Beddington,
called from his family Huscarl Manor, or Beddington Huscarl); and,
secondly, to Nicholas Carew, or de Carru, who afterwards became
possessed of both the manors (fn. 8) above-mentioned; the marriage took
place towards the latter part of the reign of king Edward III.
In the twenty-fifth year of that king's reign, she was living with
her first husband.
Manor of Beddington Huscarl.
Of the early proprietors of Huscarl's manor, I find little
that is satisfactory. Milo Crespin held it of the Conqueror.
In 1305, it was the property of John de Syndlesham (fn. 9) ; and in
1321, was in the possession of his widow, then Beatrice Huscarl (fn. 10) ,
tthe first wife probably of Sir Thomas (fn. 11) , whose relict, Lucy, was
married to Nicholas de Carru.
Nicholas de Carru's will.
This Nicholas was keeper of the privy-seal (fn. 12) , and was one of
king Edward the Third's executors (fn. 13) . He died in 1390, 14 Ric. II.
In 1387 he made his will (fn. 14) , by which he directs his body to be buried
in the church of St. Mary, at Beddington, between the grave of his
brother John, and the south door of the church. To the rector of
the church, he leaves 40s.; to the parish priest, 20s.; towards the
building of the church, 20 l.; to the four orders of mendicant friars
in London, four marks, to pray for his soul, and all christian souls;
to the prior and convent of Tanrige, 40s.; to the master, brethren,
and sisters of St. Thomas's hospital, Southwark, ten marks. He
wills, that there should be found four fit chaplains, one of whom
for ever, and the other for five years, should pray for his soul, and
all christian souls in the church of Beddington. To Margaret Turbevyle, his daughter, he bequeaths one hundred marks; to his
daughter Lucie, prioress of Roosparre, 10 l.; to Joan Huscarl, a
nun, 40 s. He wills, that thirteen torches and five wax tapers, each
weighing six pounds at the most, be provided for his funeral; and
that they be afterwards distributed at the discretion of his executors;
that thirteen poor men be clothed at his funeral, and appointed
to bear the torches. The residue of his fortune he bequeaths between his son Nicholas de Carru, and Nicholas de Mockyng.
Dated at his manor of Beddington, Oct. 13, 1387. This will was
proved at Croydon, Sept. 26, 1390.
The manor of Beddington continued in the Carew family till
the reign of Henry VIII.; when, upon the attainder of Sir Nicholas
in 1539, his estates were seized into the hands of the crown, and Sir
Michael Stanhope was appointed keeper of the manor-house there.
In a MS. in the British Museum (fn. 15) , is an inventory of the "Guarderobe at the manour of Bedynton in the countie of Surrye, in
the charge of Michael Stanhopp, Knt. keeper of the same house."
In this inventory, is mentioned a press, made with drawers, full of
evidences, court rolls, and other writings, "as well concerning Sir
Nicholas Carew, his landes, as other mens landes." The manor of
Beddington appears to have been granted afterwards to Walter
Gorges (fn. 16) , who died in the sixth year of Edward the Sixth, the
same year in which the king granted it to Thomas lord Darcy,
of Chiche (fn. 17) . Of him, Sir Francis Carew, who had procured the
reversal of his father's attainder (fn. 18) , purchased his ancestor's estate (fn. 19) ,
which has continued in the family to the present time, by lineal
descent, though the male branch has twice failed: in both instances
the representative in the female line has taken the name and arms
of Carew. Sir Nicholas Hacket Carew, Bart. by his will (fn. 20) , dated
July 1st, 1762, left his estates to his daughter for life; after her
decease to the eldest son of John Fountain, dean of York, and his
issue male: in default of such, to every other of the dean's sons, in
succession. On the failure of issue male, from the dean of York,
the estate was entailed upon the eldest son of Richard Gee, Esq. of
Orpington, in Kent, who is now the next in the remainder; the
dean's only son having died before he attained the age of twenty-five,
when he was to inherit. Richard Gee, Esq. pursuant to the will of
Sir Nicholas Hacket Carew, Bart. has taken the name and arms of
that family. The annexed pedigree of the Carew family, which
has been settled at Beddington for twelve generations, will explain
the succession more distinctly.
The manor of Bandon (fn. 21) belonged to the Carews, as early as they
had any property in Beddington; it took its name probably from
Margery de Bandon, or some one of that name, whose property
it was; her land is mentioned in an old rental of Reginald Foresters.
The manor of Forester, or Foresters, took its name likewise from
its owner. Reginald Forester had a licence for an oratory (fn. 22) in his
manor-house, in the parish of Beddington, in 1347. The manor
is supposed to have been of very small extent, and appears to have
been alienated to the Carews at an early period.
Frere's manor in this parish belonged to the hospital of St.
Thomas, in Southwark, and was granted to Nicholas de Careu
temp. Ric. II. in exchange for some lands in Lambeth (fn. 23) .
Archbishop of Nazareth's manor.
I find one record relating to a manor, which by the date (fn. 24) appears
to be distinct from any of the above-mentioned; it is a grant
from the archbishop of Nazareth (fn. 25) , in the reign of Edward III.
of his manor of Beddington, to John Burgeys, citizen of London,
for thirteen years.
The manor-house at Beddington is situated near the church;
it is built of brick, and occupies three sides of a square: the
centre consists of a large and losty hall, with a beautiful Gothic roof
of wood; the north wing is a mere shell, the inside having been destroyed by fire, soon after the house was rebuilt in its present form,
about the year 1709. The great door of the hall has a curious
ancient lock, very richly wrought; a shield with the arms of England, moving in a groove, conceals the key-hole.
In the hall is a portrait of a lady, which is falsely shown as queen
Elizabeth; her arms are in the corner of the picture, viz. Arg. a
fesse Sable, three mullets in chief of the second, which arms are
born by Townley. A small room adjoining to the hall retains the
ancient pannels with mantled carving; over the chimney is a small
portrait of one of the Carews, surrounded by a pedigree. Another
room has several portraits of the Hacket family; among which is
a good picture of bishop Hacket, said to be done by Sir Peter Lely.
In a parlour, at the north end of the hall, are some other family
portraits; the most remarkable of which, is that of Sir Nicholas
Carew, who was beheaded in the reign of Henry the Eighth, painted
on board; a good copy of it, taken some years ago, when the original was in a more perfect state than it is at present, is in the
possession of the earl of Orford, at Strawberry-hill, from which the
engraving here given was taken.
Sir Nicholas Carew, Kn[igh]t
Sir Nicholas Carew.
Sir Nicholas Carew, at an early age, was introduced to the
court of Henry the Eighth, where he soon became a favourite,
and was made one of the gentlemen of the privy chamber.
Having been employed upon some public business in France,
he became, as many other young men have been, so enamoured
of French fashions and amusements, that, when he returned to
his own country, he was continually making invidious comparisons
to the disadvantage of the English court (fn. 26) . His majesty, who was
too much of a Briton not to be disgusted at this behaviour, removed him from his person, and sentenced him to an honourable
banishment, appointing him governor of Ruysbank, in Picardy; to
which government he was forthwith commanded to repair, much
against his inclination. This little offence, however, was soon past
over, and we find him again employed by the king, and for several
years (fn. 27) his constant companion, and a partaker with him in all the
justs (fn. 28) , tournaments, masques, and other diversions of the same kind,
with which that reign abounded, and which are described very
much at large in Hall's Chronicle (fn. 29) ; and as a more substantial mark
of his favour, the king appointed him master of the horse, an office of
great honour, being reckoned the third in rank about the king's
household (fn. 30) , and afterwards created him knight of the garter (fn. 31) .
His promotion may probably be attributed in some measure
to the interest of Anne Bulleyn, to whom he was related
through their common ancestor, lord Hoo. His good fortune
was not of long continuance; for in the year 1539, he engaged
in a conspiracy, as we are told by our historians (fn. 32) , with the marquis
of Exeter, the lord Montacute, and Sir Edward Neville; the object
of whicl: was, to set Cardinal Pole upon the throne; the accuser was
Sir Geffrey Poole, lord Montacute's brother: the trial was summary,
and the conspirators were all executed. Sir Nicholas Carew
was beheaded on Tower-Hill, the 3d of March 1539; when he
made, says Holinshed, "a godly confession, both of his fault and
superstitious faith." The old countess of Salisbury was beheaded
some time afterwards, upon a charge of being privy to this conspiracy. Fuller (fn. 33) mentions a tradition of a quarrel which happened
at bowls between the king and Sir Nicholas Carew, to which he
ascribes his majesty's displeasure, and Sir Nicholas's death. The
monarch's known caprice, his hatred of the papists, to whom Sir
Nicholas was zealously attached, the absurdity of the plot, and the
improbability of its success, might incline us to hearken to Fuller's
story, if Sir Nicholas alone had suffered; but as he had so many
partners in his punishment, with whom it is not pretended that the
king had any quarrel, it will be more safe perhaps to rely upon the
account given by our annalists. Sir Nicholas Carew was buried in
the church of St. Botolph, Aldersgate, in the same tomb with
Thomas lord Darcy, and others of his family. A small monument
to their memory, supported by Corinthian columns, was preserved
when the church was rebuilt, and is placed against the west wall
of the porch. The inscription merely enumerates the persons interred there, amongst whom are Sir Nicholas Carew, K. G. his wife
Elizabeth, his daughter Mary, and her husband Sir Arthur Darcy.
The arms and quarterings of the Darcys and Carews are almost
obliterated with white paint, which has disfigured the whole
Sir Francis Carew.
Queen Elizabeth's visit.
When Sir Francis Carew became possessed of the inheritance of
his ancestors, which had been forfeited by his father's attainder, he
rebuilt the mansion-house (fn. 34) in a very magnificent manner, and laid
out the gardens, which he planted with choice fruit trees; in the
cultivation of which he took great delight, and spared no expence
in procuring them from foreign countries. The first orange trees
seen in England, are said to have been planted by him. Aubrey
says they were brought from Italy by Sir Francis Carew; but the
editors of the Biographia (fn. 33) , speaking from a tradition preserved in
the family, tell us, they were raised by Sir Francis Carew from the
seeds of the first oranges which were imported into England by Sir
Walter Ralegh, who had married his niece, the daughter of Sir
Nicholas Throckmorton:—the trees were planted in the open ground,
and were preserved in the winter by a moveable shed; they
flourished for about a century and a half, being destroyed by the
hard frost in 1739–40. In the garden was a pleasure-house, on the
top of which was painted the Spanish invasion. In the month of
August 1599, Queen Elizabeth paid a visit to Sir Francis Carew
at Beddington, for three days, and again in the same month, the
ensuing year (fn. 34) ; the queen's oak, and her favourite walk, are still
Anecdote of Fr. Carew.
Sir Hugh Platt tells an anecdote in his Garden of Eden (fn. 35) , relating
to one of these visits; which shows the pains Sir Francis took in the
management and cultivation of his fruit-trees.
"Here I will conclude, says he, with a conceit of that delicate knight
Sir Francis Carew, who, for the better accomplishment of his royal
entertainment of our late Queen Elizabeth, of happy memory, at
his house at Beddington, led her majesty to a cherry-tree, whose
fruit he had of purpose kept back from ripening, at the least, one
month after all cherries had taken their farewell of England. This
secret he performed by straining a tent, or cover of canvas, over
the whole tree, and wetting the same now and then with a scoop
or horn as the heat of the weather required; and so by withholding the sun-beams from reflecting upon the berries, they grew both
great and were very long before they had gotten their perfect
cherry-colour: and when he was assured of her majesty's coming,
"he removed the tent, and a few sunny days brought them to their
The church of Beddington consists of a nave, two aisles, and a
chancel; at the west end is a square tower with buttresses, embattled.
The present structure was probably erected in the reign of Richard the
second, being built in the style of architecture used at that time; and
the clause in Nicholas de Carru's will of that date, who leaves 20 l.,
then a very considerable sum, towards the building of the church,
serves as an additional confirmation of this conjecture. At the
west end of the north and south aisles, are some ancient wooden
stalls; the font, which is of an early date, is large and square, and
supported by four pillars. The pulpit was probably given by Sir
Francis Carew, being of mantled carving of the same form with that
of the old room in the manor-house. The pillars which separate the
nave from the aisles are plain, and of rude workmanship. The altarpiece, the communion-table, the rails, and the pavement of the
chancel, were the benefaction of Sir John Leake (fn. 36) , in the year
Nicholas Carew, the second of that name, settled at Beddington.
In the chancel are several brass figures of the Carew family on flat
stones; the inscriptions of most of them are gone. The tomb of
Nicholas Carew and Isabella his wife, which is quite perfect, is
engraved on the opposite page; the figures are of the larger size;
the woman's arms are two lions passant (fn. 37) . This Nicholas Carew
was son to the keeper of the privy seal; he was knight of the shire
for Surrey in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and twentieth years of
Richard the second, and died in 1432 (fn. 38) . His wife Isabella died many
years before him; and he afterwards married Mercia, daughter of Stephen Heyme (fn. 39) ; for his, his second lady, Henry Sever, D. D. by his
will, 1471, ordered an obit to be observed for ever in Merton College,
Oxford. On the adjoining stone are brass plates with figures of two
of the Carew family, of a smaller size; the inscription has been torn
off: several others have been either taken away entirely, or
much mutilated; and some are concealed by the pews.
Tomb of Sir Richard Carew.
Tomb in Beddington church
At the south east corner of the church is a small aisle, erected either
by Sir Richard Carew or his son Sir Nicholas, for the sepulture of the
Carew family: Sir Richard was the first who was interred there (anno
1520); and the architecture is of that period. Sir Richard Carew's
monument is in the south wall, near the door; under a flat gothic
arch is an alter tomb, on the top of which are small brass plates representing Sir Richard Carew and his lady; he is in armour, with a
surcoat, on which are the arms of Carew; the inscription round the
edge of the tomb is mutilated, but there is enough left to inform us
that he died in 1520. His wife Malyn (or Magdalen) was daughter
of Sir Robert Oxenbridge, whose arms, gules, a lion rampant arg.
within a border az. bezanty, and those of her husband, are upon the
Sir Richard Carew was made a knight banneret at Blackheath (fn. 40) ;
Henry the seventh appointed him lieutenant of Calais (fn. 41) , in which
post he was continued by Henry the eighth, with remainder to
his son Nicholas. He officiated as fewer at Archbishop Warham's
enthronization (fn. 42) .
In the same aisle, in the south east corner, is a very handsome
monument, supported by Corinthian columns of black marble, to the
Monument of Sir Francis Carew.
memory of Sir Francis Carew; between the columns lies his effigy in
complete armour; on a tablet are some Latin verses, which are by no
means remarkable; they are in the usual style of panegyric, and record the royal visits with which he was honoured; they are printed
in Aubrey. An inscription over his head mentions the circumstance
of his adopting Nicholas son of Sir Nicholas Throckmorton, his
brother-in-law, to bear his surname, and to inherit his estate. Sir
Francis died May 16, 1611, aged 81: in the lower part of the
monument, under his effigies, are figures of the aforesaid Sir Nicholas
Throckmorton, alias Carew and his wife kneeling, with four sons
habited in long cloaks, and two daughters in ruffs and farthingales:
the monument is likewise ornamented with the arms and quarterings
of Carew (fn. 43) .
In the same aisle is a monument to the memory of the lady of Sir
Nicholas Carew, who died in 1638.
In the middle aisle are two slabs with brass figures and inscriptions
in the black letter; one, in memory of Martha wife of Fabian Crokhorne, who died in 1576; the other, of Catherine, wife of Robert
Berecroft, who died in 1507.—The arms are three bears.
Against the wall of the north aisle is a tablet in a wooden frame,
with the following quibbling epitaph:
"Mors super virides montes."
"Tho. Greenhill, borne and bredd in the famous university of
"Oxon, Batchelor of Artes, and sometymes student in Magdalen
"Coll. steward to the noble knight Sir Nicholas Carew of Bedington, who deceased
Sept. 17 day, anno 1634."
"Will. Greenhill, master of artes, his brother, and Mary his sister,
"Under thy feete interr'd is heare,
A native borne in Oxfordsheere;
First life and learning Oxford gave,
Surry to him his death and grave;
He once a Hill, was fresh and Greene,
Now withered, is not to be seene;
Earth in earth shovell'd up is shut,
A Hill into a hole is put.
But darksome earth, by power divine,
Bright at last as the sonne may shine.
In the chancel is the monument of Elizabeth wife of William
Chapman, who died in 1718; near the altar the tombs of Thomas
Pope, rector, who died in 1650, and Richard Reddal, rector, who
died in 1707. In the porch is the tomb of John Cox, rector, who
died in 1669; and in the church-yard, that of Charles Berriman,
alias Brandon, rector, who died in 1671.
Aubrey gives the dimensions of the church thus: the length, thirty
yards; the breadth, eleven yards and three quarters.
The church of Beddington is dedicated to St. Mary; it is in the
diocese of Winchester, and in the deanery of Ewell; the benefice
is a rectory in the patronage of the Carew family; it formerly belonged to Bermondsey abbey, to which it was given in the year
1159, by Sibella de Wateville, and Ingram de Fountenays (fn. 44) . The
rectory of Beddington was taxed in 1291 at forty marks; out of
which 100 shillings was paid to the prior of Bermondsey. In 1454,
there was a commission to inquire into the value of the rectory (fn. 45) ; in
the certificate which was returned to the bishop, was a specific statement of its revenues. As it appears to be a curious record, and is the
only one of the kind which occurs in the registry at Winchester, I
shall give it at large, with a translation.
Certificate of the Value of the Rectory of Beddington, 1454.
|De 6 quart. fri. per le q. 5s. (6 quarters of wheat at 5s. per quarter)
|De 60 quart. ordei per le q. 3s. (60 quarters of barley at 3s.)
|De 20 quart. aven. per le q. 20d. (20 quarters of oats at 20d.)
|De pisis et taris—(of peas and tares)
|De 30 agnellis ad 6d. (30 lambs at 6d. each)
|De 160 veller. lanæ ad 2d. 0b. (160 fleeces of wool at 2½)
|De aucis et porcellis (tithe of geese and pigs)
|De canap. decim. (tithe of hemp)
|De fen. decim. (tithe of hay)
|De decim. vaccarum & vitularum (tithe of cows and calves)
|De decim. pomorum & nucum (tithe of apples and nuts)
|De decim. molendini (tithe of the mill)
|De oblationibus (offerings)
|De cuniculis & columbis Nicholai Carew (tithe of the rabbits and doves of Nicholas Carew)
|De cuniculis Synclo (tithes of Synclo's, probably Saintlow's rabbits)
|De stramine & kaff (straw and chaff)
|De terris rector. (glebe lands)
|In fest. purif. M. V. et purif. mulierum aliarum (On the feast of the purification of the Virgin Mary, and for the purifying of other women)
DEDUCTIONS OR REPRISES.
|Pro collect. lanæet agnell. (for collecting the wool and the lambs)
|Pro collect. et cariag. bladi (for collecting and carrying the grain)
|Pro triturat. fri. premiss. (for threshing the said wheat)
|Pro trit. orde. (for threshing the barley)
|Pro trit. aven. (for threshing the oats)
|Pro trit. pis. et tar. (for threshing the peas and tares)
|Pro pane, vino, thure & cer. (for bread, wine, frankincense and wax)
|Pro funibus campan. (for bell-ropes)
|Pro Do. archd. (the archdeacon's fees)
|Pro medietat. decim. (moiety of the tithing)
|Pro repar. annual. (for annual repairs)
|Pro negoc. eccle. (for the business of the church)
|Pro pens. abb. Berm. (the abbot of Bermondsey's pension)
|Sum. (sum total of receipts)
|Onerum (deductions or reprises)
|De claro (clear profits)
|The rectory is rated in the king's books, at
After the attainder of Sir Nicholas Carew, the advowson of the
rectory was for some time in the possession of the crown. Henry
the eighth presented to it in 1542 (fn. 46) . Sir Francis Carew (fn. 47) re-possessed
it with the rest of his ancestor's property, and it still remains annexed
to the estate.
There was likewise in the church of Beddington, a sinecure benefice, called a free portion (fn. 48) , the patronage of which was annexed to
Huscarl's manor (fn. 49) , and went afterwards to the Carews (fn. 50) ; it was
generally called Huscarl's, or Carew's Portion. In 1291, it was
valued at fifteen marks, out of which it paid two marks to Bermondsey abbey. In 1473 (fn. 51) , there was a commission from the bishop of
Winchester, to inquire into the nature and profits of this portion;
which, by the certificate, appears to have arisen principally from the
tithes of two hundred acres of land, called Huscarl's fewde, on the
north of the church; it had likewise annexed to it a house, and twenty
acres of land on the south side of the church; the clear profits were
then estimated at only forty shillings. In the king's books, it is valued
at 8l. 12s. 1d. It is now in lay-hands, and belongs to the
Carews. Richard Benese, presented by Henry the eighth in 1540,
is the last portionist on record (fn. 52) . He was canon of Merton
Abbey, and author of a book on Mensuration of Land, of which
there was a very early edition printed in St. Thomas's hospital.
Leng, bishop of Norwich.
John Leng (fn. 53) , afterwards bishop of Norwich, was instituted to the
rectory of Beddington, in the year 1708, which he held till his
death. He was a native of Norfolk, and was of Catherine-Hall,
Cambridge. In 1695, he published two of the comedies of Aristophanes, with notes; and in 1719, preached the sermons at Boyle's
Lectures, which are printed; a set of his Sermons preached at Tunbridge, and a few others upon occasional subjects, are also extant.
He was made bishop of Norwich in 1723, and died at the age
of sixty-two, of the small-pox, which he caught at the coronation of
George the Second. He lies buried in the church of St. Margaret,
Westminster, where is a monument to his memory. Richardson,
in his Continuation of Godwin (fn. 53) , calls him a man of the firstrate genius and abilities. A miniature portrait of the bishop, representing him as a young man in a gown and band, and with a brown
flowing peruke, is in the possession of his grand-daughter, Miss
The present incumbent is John Bromfield Ferrers, A. M.
The register of this parish begins in the year 1538.
Comparative state of population.
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
The increase of population has been principally at Wallington.
The number of houses in the parish is now about one hundred.
Several entries occur in the register relating to the Carew family,
five of whom were buried within four months, in the year 1689.
Eight persons are said to have died of the plague in 1594; in
1603, there were ten burials; in 1625, eleven; in 1665, there are
One instance of longevity is recorded:
"William Stuart, commonly called Old Scott, aged one hundred
and ten years and two months, was buried Jan. 31, 1704–5."
The hamlet of Wallington, in the parish of Beddington, at the
time of the Conqueror's Survey, gave name to the hundred; it was
afterwards called Croydon Hundred, but has of late resumed its ori
ginal appellation. The hamlet is situated on the banks of the Wandle,
and is more populous than the village itself, containing about sixty
houses. At this place is a large manufactory for printing of calico,
belonging to Mr. Kilbourn, which employs a considerable number
In a field near the road is an ancient chapel, built of flint and
stone. It has been new roofed, and is now used as a cart-house and
stable; the stone work of the windows is entire; the east window
has been stopped up, on each side of which is a niche of rich Gothic
architecture; and in the south-east corner is a third for the holy
water. The present proprietor was about to pull down this chapel,
but was opposed in his intention by the parishioners. From the total
silence of the records, (and perhaps there are more relating to this parish in the registry of Winchester than to any other in the diocese,) I
should presume that it was only a private chapel. From the appearance of the windows, and of the niches above-mentioned, it seems to
be of considerable antiquity.
Manor of Wallington.
The early records relating to the manor of Wallington, are very
unsatisfactory; the name of that place being anciently written Waleton, in common with Walton-upon-Thames, and Walton-on-theHill, in the same county, and without any distinction to discriminate
them, except when the hundred is mentioned. Salmon (fn. 54) , by not
attending to this circumstance, has asserted, that two manors are
described in Wallington, in Doomsday; the hundreds are there specified, and only one manor is mentioned in Wallington, (in the
hundred of that name,) which was held by the king in demesne;
the land was of eleven carucates, and was valued, in the time of the
Confessor, at 15l. then at 10l. I shall not take notice of any subsequent alienations of the manor of Wallington, except such as I find
appropriated to that hundred. Henry the Second granted a certain
part thereof to Maurice de Creon (fn. 55) , who gave it to Guy de la Val
with his daughter: this Guy took part with the barons against king
John, who seized upon his property here, and granted it to John
Fitz-Lucy, who forfeited it by remaining in Normandy: the king
then gave it to Eustache de Curtenay. Katharine Lodelowe (fn. 56) died
seized of this manor for term of life, 17 Ric. II. which she held by
an enfeoffment made with the king's licence, by Olde Poynand.
In Henry the Eighth's time, it was granted to Sir Nicholas Carew (fn. 57) ;
and after his attainder, passed through the hands of Sir Edward
Dymock (fn. 58) and Sir James Harrington, the latter of whom alienated
it to Sir Francis Carew (fn. 59) ; it has since descended with the other
estates of the Carews.
At Woodcote, in the parish of Beddington, which is now a single
farm-house, have been found many remains of antiquity, which
tend to prove it to have been a Roman station. Camden and some
other learned antiquaries contend, that it was the city of Noviomagus, mentioned by Ptolemy; whilst others are equally positive, that
this city must have been in Kent: but as the matter, after all these
arguments, ends in conjecture, I conceive it would be but an unsatisfactory entertainment to the generality of my readers, were I to detail them. They who wish to see the argument treated of at length,
may consult Aubrey's Surrey (fn. 60) , Camden, Dr. Gale's, Mr. Burton's (fn. 61) ,
and Mr. Talbot's Commentaries on Antoninus's Itinerary (fn. 62) , and Somner's Description of Canterbury.
Salmon says, that foundations of buildings have been discovered,
and urns, spear-heads, and other remnants of antiquity dug up,
both at Beddington and Wallington; but I cannot find that any
discoveries of that kind have been made of late years.