The name of this place has been invariably written Mordune,
Mordone, or Mordon, alluding to its situation; mor and dune
both signifying a hill.
Situation, boundaries, &c.
Mordon is ten miles from Westminster-bridge, in the road to
Epsom. The parish is bounded by Mitcham on the east; Carshalton and Sutton on the south; Cheam and Maldon on the west; and
Merton on the north. The land is, for the most part, arable; the
soil, a stiff clay. The parish is assessed the sum of 184 l. 11s. 8d.
to the land-tax, which in 1791 was at the rate of 2s. 1d. in the
The manor belonged to Westminster Abbey before the Conquest,
being confirmed by Edward the Confessor's charter (fn. 1) . Upon the
suppression of that monastery, it was granted to Lionel Ducket, and
Edward Whitchurch (fn. 2) , and was soon afterwards, by the latter, alienated to Richard Garth, Esq. (fn. 3) whose family have enjoyed it ever
since. It is now the property of Owen Putland Meyrick, Esq. of
Bodorgan in the Isle of Anglesea, in right of his wife Clara, daughter
and heir of Richard Garth, Esq. who died in 1787. In Edward
the Confessor's time, this manor was valued at 6 l.; at the Conquest
it was rated at 10 l. In 1291 the Abbot of Westminster's property here was taxed at 4 l. 3s. 4d. only (fn. 4) .
Isabella de Caron had considerable property in Mordon in the
reign of King John, for which she had a charter of free warren (fn. 5) .
The prior and convent of Merton had also an estate here, called
the Spital Farm, which was granted by Hen. VIII. to William
Forman (fn. 6) , and afterwards became the property of the Garths (fn. 7) .
The church, which is dedicated to St. Lawrence, is built of brick,
and consists of a nave and chancel, which are of the same height,
and separated only by a raised step in the floor. At the west end is
a low tower. The present structure was erected about the year 1636.
The windows, which are of stone, and of Gothic architecture, appear
to have belonged to the old church. The font nearly resembles that
at Mitcham, but the workmanship is not so rich. In the east window
are the ten commandments, painted on glass, with the figures of
Moses and Aaron, and some mutilated pieces of Scripture History.
On the north wall of the chancel, are the monuments of
Anne, wife of George Garth, Esq. and daughter of Sir John
Carlton, Bart. who died in 1655; and of Richard Garth, Esq. who
died in 1787. On the south wall are those of Peter Leheup, Esq.
of Ashwell in Hertfordshire, who died in 1774; and of Elizabeth,
wife of William Gardiner, Esq. and daughter of George Garth,
Esq. who died in 1719. She was a considerable benefactress to the
parish. Within the rails are tombs of Robert Garth, Esq. who
died in 1613; George Garth, Esq. who died in 1639; George
Garth, Esq. who died in 1676; and Richard Garth, Esq. who died
in 1727. In the chancel are the tombs of Thomas Hicks, merchant,
who died in 1634; Robert Greenwell, who died in 1637; William Booth, rector of this parish, who died in 1670; Edward
Booth, who succeeded his father as rector, and died in 1682; and
William Burrel, rector, who died in 1704. On the north wall of
the church is the monument of Peter Leheup, Esq. who died in
1777; on the south wall, near one of the windows, that of John
Roland, Gent. who died in 1702. In the aisle are the tombs of
Zachary Highlord, Esq. who died in 1653, and George Style, Esq.
who died in 1721.
In the church-yard are the tombs of Peter Mauvillain, Esq. who
died in 1739, Stephen Mauvillain, who died in 1740, and Peter
Mauvillain, Esq. who died in 1755; Thomas Robson, rector, who
died in 1778; and Sophia, wife of Thomas Conway, Esq. who died
The rectory of Mordon, which was appropriated to Westminster
Abbey, was granted, with the manor, after the suppression of that
monastery (fn. 8) . It was taxed at 18 marks in 1291 (fn. 9) . The vicarage
was endowed, in 1338, with a house and garden, thirteen acres of
arable land, and an acre of meadow (fn. 19) . In 1631, Richard Garth,
Esq. disappropriated the church of Mordon, and converted the
vicarage into a rectory, by endowing it with the great tithes, and
14 acres of glebe (fn. 11) .
The first rector was William Booth, instituted in 1634. The
present incumbent is Thomas Piers, D. D.
The parish register commences in 1634.
Comparative state of population.
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
The present number of houses is 65.
In 1665 there were only two burials.
Mr. Henry Smith lest. 1 l. per annum to this parish. Mrs.
Elizabeth Gardiner lest 300 l. for the purpose of founding a school,
which was established, according to the tenor of her will, in the
year 1721. Mrs. Elizabeth Garth gave the ground on which the
school-house is built.