This parish is not to be found in Doomsday book (fn. 1) ; it is mentioned in various records of the reign of Henry III. by the
name of Chesewicke.
Situation and boundaries.
Nature of land and soil.
The village of Chiswick is situated by the river-side, at the
distance of about five miles from Hyde-park-corner; the parish lies
within the hundred of Ossulston, and is bounded on the east
by Hammersmith, on the north by Acton, on the west by Ealing, and on the South by the Thames. It contains about twelve
hundred acres, of which about three hundred are corn-land; about
two hundred and eighty occupied by market-gardeners; and about
two hundred under-grass, exclusive of parks and paddocks; which,
with private gardens, pleasure grounds, wastes, &c. make up the remaining number of acres. The soil varies from a light sand and gravel to a very rich loam; but even in the best land gravel is to be
found near the surface. Chiswick pays the sum of 6661. 19s. to the
land-tax, which in the year 1793 was at the rate of 1s. 6d. upon
land, and 1s. 1d. upon houses.
An urn filled with Roman silver coins was dug up at Turnhamgreen in the year 1731 (fn. 2) . Stukeley says, that the Roman road from
Regnum, or Ringwood, went from Staines, through Brentford, (which
was a manse between it and London,) to Turnham-green; thence
over Stanford-bridge (fn. 3) and into the Acton road, crossing the Watlingstreet at Tyburn.
Armies at Turnham-green.
After the battle of Brentford, the Earl of Essex assembled his forces
at Turnham-green, where he was joined by the city trained-bands (fn. 4) .
Sir William Waller mustered his forces there Sept. 10, 1643, when
he was ordered to go to the relief of the Lord General's army after
the action at Newbury (fn. 5) .
There are two manors in the parish of Chiswick, both belonging
to the church of St. Paul's; one of which is called the Dean's,
(being his peculiar,) or the manor of Sutton; the other the Prebendal
Manor of Sutton.
It does not appear when or by whom the manor of Sutton was
given to the dean and chapter of St. Paul's. Though it is not mentioned among the manors belonging to the canons of that church in
Doomsday-book (fn. 6) , yet it is upon record that they were in possession
of it in the reign of William the Conqueror. Among the archives in
the chapter-house at St. Paul's, is a very curious and minute survey
of all the manors belonging to the church, made, as it appears, in
or about the time of Alardus de Burnham, who succeeded Ralph de
Diceto in the deanery very early in the thirteenth century (fn. 7) . As this
is one of the most ancient surveys extant, and very explicit and satisfactory in describing the services of the tenants, I shall translate at
large the account of the demesne-lands, and some of the principal
estates held under the lord by various rents and services.
"An Inquisition of the Manor of Suttune; Philip de Haddam, lessee.
"The jury return, that this manor is taxed or rated to the king
at three hides, besides the farm (fn. 8) of Chesewich, which by itself is two hides, rated with the hides of Sutton. The manor is
free and quit from all suit either of county or hundred, and all
other dues which belong either to the king himself, or to his
bailiffs. In demesne are two hundred and ten acres of arable
land, sixteen of meadow, and about forty of wood of a good
growth (fn. 9) . The quantity of pasture is not known, but it suffices
for twelve oxen, four horses (fn. 10) , ten cows, and one hundred and
thirty sheep: wainage (fn. 11) may be made with twelve oxen and four
horses, according to the custom of the township.
"Tenants of Assize.
"Gilbert, son of Nicholas, holds three virgates of land, to which
his grandfather Gilbert was admitted by Theodoric, a former
lessee, and for which he now pays thirty shillings per annum; and
is subject to the following services, viz. He must plough two acres
of the demesne lands in winter, and two in lent; and sow the lord's
feed, which he is to receive at the manor-house, and to carry into
the field; he must harrow also the land above-mentioned; he
must find two mowers (fn. 12) , who are to have their provisions from the
lord of the manor (fn. 13) ; and two men to carry hay, who must be
fed at his own cost. Two men one day, and two other men a second day, to weed the corn—(these men to be provided with
one meal a day by the lord) (fn. 14) . He must find also two carts, or
one waggon, to carry hay; and three men for each of the reapdays (fn. 15) . He must find two men for one day, to thresh the rentcorn (fn. 16) , to be carried to London—(these men to have one meal a
day at the lord's cost); and provide two sacks for each rent. He
must carry dung from the manor-house two days, each day with
two carts—(the workmen to be allowed provisions by the lord).
He must bring four cart-loads of fuel from the wood, finding provisions for the men at his own cost. He must render moreover,
annually, two hens and twenty eggs.
"William, son of Turstan, holds one virgate at the rent of 6s. 2d.
He is to mow also one day for the lord of the manor, being allowed his provisions; and to send all his labourers to the reapdays; the lord allowing them victuals and ale (fn. 17) ."
Another tenant was to shear the lord's sheep and lambs, and to
cut his pease. Some were to pay a certain rent called malt-silver (fn. 18) ,
being five-pence, three-pence, or some small sum; others a rent
called "wardpeni" (fn. 19) , generally two-pence; and others a small
sum, e.g. 10d. called the gift (fn. 20) .
Another survey of the manors belonging to the church of St.
Paul's, made about the year 1245 (fn. 21) , says, that the manor of Suthton in the time of King Henry, and William the Dean, (which
must have been about the year 1111,) was rated at three hides, and
paid three shillings to the sheriff; which it still did at the taking of
the inquisition. The canons received from it two full corn-rents (fn. 22) ,
and five hundred and forty shillings in money. The quantity of
land is the same as in the survey above quoted, except that the wood
is computed at only thirty acres, and the pasture said to be sufficient
only for five cows and sixty sheep. There were sixteen virgates of
land which paid quit-rent. Aluric held of the lord unam garram
(fn. 23) ,
by the annual render of two plough-shares (fn. 24) . The rents of assize
amounted to 71. 3s. 7d., besides five shillings, or every tenth sish
from the fishery, and four-pence from the cultivated waste (fn. 25) .
In the year 1235, an agreement was made relating to the fish
within the manor of Sutton, between the dean and chapter of St.
Paul's, and the prior of Merton, who enjoyed a grant from the king
of the fisheries of the river Thames, for a certain district, which included the shores of Chiswick. By this agreement, the men of Sutton and Chiswick were permitted to place forty wears (fn. 26) for catching
of barbels and lamprons only; for which permission they were to
pay twenty-three shillings per annum to the prior of Merton; and
if the payment was neglected five days beyond the time appointed,
the sum was to be doubled (fn. 26) .
In the ninth year of Edward IV. Baldwin Bray, whose ancestors
appear to have been settled there for several generations (fn. 27) , conveyed
the manor of Sutton, near Cheswyke, (that is, I suppose, assigned
the lease of the manerial estate,) to Thomas Coveton and others (fn. 28) .
During the civil war, the manor was sequestered to the lord mayor
and aldermen of London (fn. 29) . In the year 1676, the lease came into
the hands of Thomas Earl of Fauconberg (fn. 30) , whose great-nephew,
Thomas Fowler, Viscount Fauconberg, assigned it, about the year
1727, to Richard Earl of Burlington (fn. 31) . After Lord Burlington's
death, the lease was renewed to the late Duke of Devonshire, who
married his sole heir; and it is now held by the present Duke. The
manor-house was lately in the occupation of Thomas King, Esq. deceased, by whom it was in a great measure rebuilt. The dean and
chapter of St. Paul's had a grant of free-warren in their manor of
Sutton, 9 Edw. II (fn. 32) .
The prebendal manor is so called, as being the corps of one of the
prebends of St. Paul's cathedral. The ancient survey before-mentioned, describes it as containing two hides of land. The reserved
rent received by the prebendary is 391. 2s. 6d. In the year 1570,
(12 Eliz.) Gabriel Goodman, being then prebendary of Chiswick,
granted a lease of this manor (with the demesne lands, consisting
of about an hundred and forty acres) for ninety-nine years, to
William Walter and George Burden, in trust, that they should within
two years convey the same to the church of Westminster, of which
the said Goodman was dean. The dean and chapter still hold it of
the prebendary of Chiswick, under a lease for three lives. In 1649
this manor, then valued at 1771. 8d. exclusive of the reserved rent,
was in the occupation of Arthur Duck, LL. D. as sub-lessee, and was
sold soon afterwards, (as church property,) being discharged of the
reserved rent, for the sum of 1551l. 5s. 3d. to William Angier and
Edward Radden, on behalf of Richard Duck of the county of Devon (fn. 33) . In 1691, Sir Stephen Fox was lessee of the manor under the
church of Westminster (fn. 34) . The lease was assigned by his son Stephen, about the year 1727 (fn. 35) , to Dr. Michael Hutchinson; and by
some mesne assignments came to James Fry, Esq. (fn. 36) who sold it in
1770 to Mr. Alexander Weatherstone (fn. 37) . Mr. Weatherstone's widow
is the present sub-lessee, and as such is called lady of the manor, and
holds an annual court-baron. Lands within this manor descend to
the youngest son.
Manor, or college house.
In Gabriel Goodman's lease above-mentioned, it is stipulated that
the lessee should erect additional buildings adjoining to the manorhouse, sufficient for the accommodation of one of the prebendaries
of Westminster, the master of the school, the usher, forty boys, and
proper attendants, who should retire thither in time of sickness, or
at other seasons when the dean and chapter should think proper (fn. 38) .
To this day a piece of ground is reserved (in the lease to the sublessee) as a play-place for the scholars, though it is not known that
the school was ever removed to Chiswick since Busby's time. It is
on record, that he resided there, with some of his scholars, in the year
1657 (fn. 39) . A few years ago, when this house was in the tenure of
Robert Berry, Esq. the names of the celebrated Earl of Halifax,
John Dryden, and many others of Busby's pupils, were to be seen
on the walls. Bowack, who wrote an account of Chiswick in 1706,
says, that the house was then so decayed that it was wholly unsit for
its intended use, and was patched up into small tenements for the labouring people of the town (fn. 40) . If his representation be accurate, it
must have been rebuilt, or at least have undergone very considerable
repairs, before the year 1725, when the college-house was inhabited
by Dr. John Friend, master of Westminster-school; and the prebendary's apartments, by Dr. Broadrick (fn. 41) . Dr. Nicholls was the last
master, who occasionally resided at the college-house. Dr. Markham, (the present Archbishop of York,) when master of Westminster-school, rented the prebendary's lodgings of the dean and chapter. The whole being in a ruinous state, was let on a repairing
lease in the year 1788, for which purpose a special licence was obtained from the dean and chapter of St. Paul's and the prebendary of
Chiswick, pursuant to Dean Goodman's injunctions, whereby the
church of Westminster is restrained from letting the mansion or manor-house for more than one year, without such licence.
The house, which is now an academy, in the occupation of the
Rev. Dr. Horne, is called, in a survey dated 1725, the Manor farmhouse, and was then in the tenure of Lady Nevill.
Prebendaries of Chiswick.
In Newcourt's Repertorium (fn. 42) , may be seen a list of the prebendaries of Chiswick, among whom are Nigellus, Bishop of Ely;
Richard Clifford, Bishop of London; Cardinal Moreton; Christopher Urswick; Bishop Bonner; Bishop Barlow; and Bishop Beveridge. The present prebendary is the Rev. G. Gregory, D.D. the
translator of Bishop Lowth's Lectures, and author of the Life of
Chatterton, "Essays," and other works.
Duke of Devonshire's house.
The beautiful villa where the Duke of Devonshire occasionally resides, stands near the site of an ancient house, which Bowack says
was built by Sir Edward Warden (fn. 43) ; for this I find no other authority. It was pulled down in the year 1788, and by Kip's print
seems to have been of the age of James I. Towards the latter end of
his reign, it was certainly the property and residence of Robert Carr,
Earl of Somerset (fn. 44) , whose abandoned Countess ended her days there
in misery and disgrace (fn. 45) . The Earl, who was a partaker in her crimes,
survived her many years, being never able to recover a broken fortune (fn. 46) or a tarnished name. Upon the marriage of his daughter
Lady Anne with Lord Russel, he was obliged to mortgage his
house at Chiswick, and to sell all his plate, jewels, and furniture, to
make up the sum of 12,000l. which the Earl of Bedford demanded
as a portion (fn. 47) . The mortgage having never been paid off, the premises became the property of the celebrated Philip Earl of Pembroke (fn. 48) (who was the mortgagee); from him they passed to John
Lord Pawlet (fn. 49) , an active royalist, and a commander of some eminence in the king's army. On the 27th of May 1647, he was permitted to compound for his estate, through the interest of the General Fairfax (fn. 50) , who, in the months of August and September following, appears to have been more than once a visitor at his house
at Chiswick (fn. 51) . In 1669, this house being then the property of William Lord Crofts, and in the occupation of James Duke of Monmouth, was sold to Charles Lord Gerrard of Brandon (fn. 52) , who aliened
it to Richard Viscount Ranelagh. In 1682, it was the property of
Edward Seymour, Esq. of Maiden-Bradley, who then sold it to
Richard Earl of Burlington, from whom it descended to Richard
the last Earl; after his death it came to the late Duke of Devonshire,
who married Lady Charlotte Boyle, his daughter and sole heir. The
last Earl of Burlington, whose skill and taste as an architect have
been frequently recorded, built near this old mansion, a small but
beautiful villa, the idea of which was partly borrowed from a design
of Palladio (fn. 53) . The gardens at the same time were laid out by his
lordship in the Italian style, and were far preferable to any that had
then been seen in this kingdom; they are adorned with various
temples, obelisks, statues, &c. which have furnished many subjects
for the engravers (fn. 54) . Some of the statues are antiques (fn. 55) ; the lions
and other beasts are the works of Scheemaker: among other ornaments of these gardens, should be noticed a gate erected by Inigo
Jones, at Chelsea in the year 1625, for the Lord Treasurer Middlesex, and removed to Chiswick in 1738 by Lord Burlington, to
whom it was given by Sir Hans Sloane at the time that Beauforthouse was pulled down. Lord Hervey, speaking of Lord Burlington's villa at Chiswick, said, that it was too small to live in, and too
large to hang to a watch. The present noble owner has made it
more habitable, without taking away from its beauty, by the addition of two wings, designed by Wyatt, which admirably correspond
with the architecture of the original. The rooms are scarcely finished,
and Lord Burlington's fine collection of pictures not yet replaced;
a catalogue of these pictures is printed in Dodsley's account of London, and its environs (fn. 56) : among those most worthy of note, are portraits of Lord Clifford and his family, by Van-Eyk, 1444; Mary
Queen of Scots, which has been engraved by Vertue; Clement IX.
by Carlo Maratti; Alexander Pope, by Kent; the celebrated picture of Belisarius; a landscape, with a man hawking, by Inigo
Jones; a very fine Salvator Rosa; and a Madonna, by Dominichino,
which Lord Burlington procured out of a convent at Rome, giving
them in exchange for it a complete set of marble columns for their
The Duke of Devonshire's House at Chiswick
William Lord Russel of Thornhagh.
Fracis, first Earl of Bedsord.
The Russel family had an ancient seat in this parish, which belonged, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, to Sir William Russel,
afterwards Lord Russel of Thornhagh, a distinguished military character. Stow, speaking of his heroic achievements at the battle of
Zutphen, says, "he charged so terribly, that after he had broke
his lance, he with his curtleax so plaid his part, that the enemy
reported him to be a devil and not a man; for where he saw six
or seven of the enemies together, thither would he, and so behaved himself with his curtleax, that he would separate their
friendship (fn. 58) . "On the 2d of Oct. 1602, the Queen honoured him
with a visit at Chiswick (fn. 59) . Sir William Russel's mansion descended
to his only son Francis, the first Earl of Bedford, who died on the
eve of the civil war. From the interest he took in the concerns of
this parish (fn. 60) , it is probable that he frequently resided here. After
the death of his widow, Catherine Countess of Bedford, which happened in 1654, the premises at Chiswick were inherited, according
to the custom of the manor, by her youngest son Edward, who, in
the year 1659, aliened a freehold messuage, &c. to William Gomeldon (fn. 61) . Since that time it has passed through various hands; and was in
1747, the property of the Hon. Peregrine Widdrington; who, by
his will of that date, left it to his wife the Duchess of Norfolk,
for life, with remainder in succession to his nephew the Hon. W.
Tempest Widdrington, and John Townley, Esq. and their heirs. Of
the latter it was purchased by Sir C. W. Boughton Rouse, Bart. of
Rouse-Lench, in the county of Worcester, the present proprietor. It is
now called Corney-house. Mr. Widdrington, in 1745, purchased certain tenements, and a piece of land, called Corney-houses and Corneyclose, adjoining to his own premises. I suppose these to be the same
houses and land which James Russel, youngest son of Edward, held
in 1670, some time after the alienation of the mansion above-mentioned. The premises were much improved and enlarged by Mr.
Townley, who surrounded the whole with a brick wall, and built a
Grove-house, near Sutton-court, belonged, in the reign of Henry IV. to Robert Warner, who sold it to Thomas Holgill, Esq. (fn. 62) It was
afterwards, for several generations, the property of the Barker family.
After the death of Henry Barker, Esq. which happened in 1745, it was
purchased by the Earl of Grantham, and descended to his daughter
Lady Frances Elliot. Soon after her death it was purchased by the
Right Hon. Humphry Morrice, who made considerable additions to
the house, and built a large riding-house, with excellent stables for
thirty horses. The fine collection of pictures which he had at this
place, was sold after his death to the Earl of Ashburnham. This
beautiful villa, which is situated in a very desirable and retired spot
upon the banks of the Thames, is now the property of Mrs. Luther,
relict of John Luther, Esq. M.P. for the county of Essex. The
premises, containing about fourscore acres, are inclosed within a brick
wall; the pleasure-grounds were laid out by the Earl of Grantham.
The paddock abounds with a great number of old walnut-trees and
Spanish chesnuts, the fruit of which has been known to produce 80l.
In the year 1747, Lord Viscount Dunkerron became poslessed of a
capital messuage at Turnham-green (fn. 63) , which having passed through
various hands, viz. the Earl of Kerry (1752), Matthew Hutton,
Esq. (1762), the Earl of Egmont (1765), Sir Brownlow Cust
(1771), the Duchess of Devonshire (1772), Lord John Cavendish
(1777), was purchased in 1789 by Lord Heathfield, the celebrated
defender of Gibraltar, who made it his principal residence till his
death, which happened not long afterwards. It now belongs to
Dr. Alexander Meyersbach. The gardens were laid out with much
taste for Lord Heathsield, by Mr. Aiton, now his Majesty's gardener at Kew.
Sir Henry Sidney.
Sir Henry Sidney, Lord President of Ireland in the reign of
Queen Elizabeth, appears to have had a seat at Chiswick; his wife,
Lady Mary, (daughter of John Duke of Northumberland,) dates her
letters thence in 1574 and 1578 (fn. 64) .
Leonard Maw, Bishop of Bath and Wells, who had been chaplain
to Prince Charles, and attended him when he went to pay his addresses to the Infanta, had a house at Chiswick, where he died
Sept. 2, 1629, and was buried in the church there (fn. 65) .
It appears by the parish books, that Sir Lewis Lewkner, Knt. (fn. 66) resided at Chiswick in 1621; Sir William Jones, Chief Justice of the
Common Pleas (1632); and the Duke of Leinster (1695) (fn. 67) . Joseph
Miller, of facetious memory, who was a comic actor of considerable
merit, was many years an inhabitant of Strand on the Green (fn. 68) , and
died at his house there in the month of August 1738.
The church of this place, which is dedicated to St. Nicholas,
stands near the water-side. The present structure appears to have
consisted originally only of a nave and chancel, and was built probably about the beginning of the fifteenth century, at which time
the tower was erected, at the charge of William Bordall, vicar of
Chiswick, who died in 1435 (fn. 69) . It is built of stone and slint, as
is the north wall of the church and the chancel; the latter has been
much repaired with brick: a transverse aisle, at the east end of the
nave, was added on the south side in the middle of the last, and a
corresponding aisle on the north side, towards the beginning of the
present, century; the former was enlarged in the year 1772, by
subscription, and carried on to the west end of the nave: both the
aisles are of brick.
Monument of Sir Thomas Chaloner.
On the south wall of the chancel is the monument of Sir Thomas
Chaloner, whose essgies, and that of his wife, are represented
kneeling at a fald-stool under a pavilion, the curtains of which
are supported by two armed soldiers. On a tablet beneath is the following inscription: "Here lieth the bodey of Sir Thomas Chaloner, who was knighted in the warres of France, by Kinge Henry
the fourthe, a° 1591, and after Governor in the minority, and
Chamberlayne to the late Prince of famous memorey, Henrey
Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornewall, and Earle of Chester. He
married to his firste wife Elizabeth, Daughter to William Fleetwood, Sergeant at lawe to Q. Eliz. and Recorder of London,
by whom he had yssue, Thomas, deceased; Willm; Edward;
Thomas; Henry, deceased; Arthure, deceased; James; Elizabeth, deceased; Mary, wife to Sr Edward Fisher, Knight; Elizabeth; and Dorothey; and died the 22d of June, ao 1603, aged
35 yeares: and to his second wife he married Jude, the daughter
to Willm Blunt of London, Esquier, by whom he had also yssue
Henrey; Charles; Fredericke, and Arthure; Anne; Katherine,
and Frances; and she deceased the 30 day of June, ao 1615, aged
36 years: and the aforesayed Sir Thomas Chaloner died the 18th
day of November 1615, being of the adge of 51 years—An.
Dom. 1721. In grateful remembrance of his honourable ancestor, this monument was repaired at the charge of Edward Chaloner of Gisbrough, in com. Ebor. Esq." On the monument
are the arms of Sir Thomas Chaloner and his two wives (fn. 70) .
Anecdotes of him.
William Chaloner; Edward;
Thomas, and James.
This Sir Thomas was son of Sir Thomas Chaloner the elder,
a very eminent person in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, both as a
soldier, a scholar, and a statesman (fn. 71) ; and he seems to have inherited
a great portion of his father's accomplishments. He was particularly attached to the study of natural history, and was very active
in researches relating to that science, which led him to the discovery
of the first alum-mines which had been known in this kingdom, and
which he found near Gisbrough in Yorkshire (fn. 72) , where he had an
estate. The method of preparing the alum he is said to have
brought from Italy (fn. 73) . These mines, with others that had been discovered upon some adjoining estates, were afterwards seized by the
crown, and became so valuable, that Sir Paul Pindar rented them
at 14,740l. per annum; and, as Fuller says, did not complain of
his bargain. The mines lay neglected for many years during the
present century (fn. 74) , but are now worked, and the produce sent both
to the London market and to foreign parts. Sir Thomas Chaloner
wrote a treatise on the virtues of nitre, and "other matters (says
"Wood) pertaining to virtuosity, and some things, as it seems, to
"pastoral (fn. 75) , but whether extant I cannot tell (fn. 76) ." Puttenham compares "Maister Challoner for eglogue and pastorall poesie to Sir P.
"Sydney, and the gentleman who wrote the Shepherds Calender,
"all of whom, says he, deserve the highest price (fn. 77) ." Several
of Sir Thomas Chaloner's letters are printed in Birch's Memoirs
of Queen Elizabeth, 1596–1597. William, his eldest son, was
created a baronet by James I. anno 1620. Edward, who was
born at Chiswick, entered into holy orders, and published some
sermons and religious tracts (fn. 78) . He died of the plague at Oxford. Thomas and James, disgusted by the seizure of the alummines, took a very active part against Charles I.: they both sat
as his judges, and Thomas signed the warrant for his execution,
which occasioned him to be excepted out of the act of oblivion.
He retired to Holland before the return of Charles II. and died
at Middleburgh (fn. 79) .
To return to the account of the monuments:—On the east wall of
the chancel is that of Thomas Barker, Esq. (fn. 80) Bencher of the Middle
Temple, who died in 1630; and Anne, widow of William Barker,
Esq. who died in 1607 (fn. 81) . On the south wall are those of Mary,
wife of William Walker (fn. 82) , vicar of Chiswick, who died in 1619;
and Thomas Bentley, who died in 1780. He was partner with
Mr. Josiah Wedgwood in the celebrated Staffordshire manufacture,
and being possessed of an elegant taste, furnished many of the beautiful designs for that ware (fn. 83) .
On the north wall of the chancel is the monument of Charles
Holland, the comedian (fn. 84) ; and that of Chidioke Wardour, Esq.
who died in 1611. He was forty-two years lord treasurer's clerk;
his daughter, Elizabeth, died in 1606. She married Sir Stephen
Lesieur, Knt. who was employed in various embassies to the King
of Denmark, the Emperor Matthias, &c. He resided at Chiswick,
and married for his second wife, Catherine, daughter of Edward
Lord Bergavenny (fn. 85) . Within the rails of the communion-table are
the tombs of Mary, daughter of John Litcott, Esq. and wife of
Richard Barker, who died in 1599; and of Thomas Elborowe,
vicar of Chiswick, who died in 1675. In the chancel are the tombs
also of Mark Anthony La Bastide de Crosat (fn. 86) , who died in 1704,
and of Charlotte Duchess of Somerset, who died in 1773. On the
north wall of the nave is the monument of Charles Barnevelt, Esq. (fn. 87)
who died in 1739. On the floor are the tombs of George Barker,
Esq. who died in 1750; Captain Andrew Reau (1750), and the
Rev. John Griffiths (1775). In the north aisle are the monuments
of Thomas Plukenett, Gent. (fn. 88) who died in 1721; Thomas Spateman, M. A. (fn. 89) vicar of Chiswick, who died in 1761; and Mrs.
Rebecca Casamajor (fn. 90) (1788). At the east end of the south aisle
are the monuments of John Tayler, Esq. (fn. 91) who died in 1729,
and Tabitha, relict of Thomas Dickonson, Esq. of West Retford
in the county of Nottingham, who died in 1786; at the east end,
that of James Howard, Esq. (fn. 92) only son of the Hon. Thomas
Howard, (brother of James Earl of Suffolk,) who died in 1669.
On the south wall over the gallery, are the monuments of Robert Kennell, Esq. who died in 1690; Richard Tayler, Esq. (fn. 93)
(1698); and Richard Tayler, jun. (fn. 94) (1716). At the east end of
the gallery is that of Vere Warner, Esq. (fn. 95) who died in 1756. In
the south aisle is the tomb of John Bezely, Gent. who died in
On the wall of the church-yard is the following singular inscription: "This wall was made at the charges of the Right honorable
"and truelie pious Lorde Francis Russell, Duke of Bedford (fn. 96) , oute
"of true zeal and care for the keeping of this church-yard, and
"the wardrobe of Goddes saintes, whose bodies lay therein buryed,
"from violateing by swine and other prophanation; so witnesseth
"William Walker, V. A. D. 1623."
In the church-yard are the tombs of John Gascoyne, Esq. of
Cawthorne in the county of York, who died in 1682, and others of
that family; Nicholas Crispe, Esq. (1706); Miles Corbett, Esq.
(1728); Margaret, relict of Captain William Peryn (1745); John
Sheen, Esq. (1749); James Gibson, Esq. (1750); Mr. Thomas
Powell (1754); Mrs. Mary Austin (1754); John Montigny, Gent.
(1757); John Hill, Gent. (1758); William Lewis, of Coventgarden, bookseller (1759); Christopher Perry, Esq. (1762); Robert
Grosvenor, Esq. (1762); Mr. George Stoe (1762); he had fourteen
children by his wife Mary; William Hogarth Esq. (1764) (fn. 97) ; Mary,
wife of the Rev. John Lloyd of Rotherham in the county of York
(1765); Henry Van Noort, merchant (1765); Elizabeth, wife of the
Rev. Dr. Baddeley, rector of Markfield in the county of Leicester
(1767); George Hammond of Bolton-hall in the county of York
(1767); Mary, wife of Richard Troubridge (1768); Plukenett Woodroffe, Esq. (1769); the Rev. John Mapletost, chaplain to Bridewell-hospital (1773); Mr. Fenton Robinson (1774); Henry McCulloh, Esq.
(1779); William Donaldson, Esq. (1780); John Townley, Esq. of
Townley in the county of Lancaster (1782); Giles Hudson, Esq. M.P.
(1783); Richard Filkin, lieutenant in the navy (1783); John Church,
Esq. of Gray's-inn (1783); Wm. Reynolds, Esq. (1784); Thomas
Walker, Esq. of Berkhamstead, St. Peter (1784); Wm. Rose, LL.D (fn. 98)
(1786); George Townley, Esq. (1786); Richard Hozier, Esq. (1787);
Elizabeth, wife of Simon Le Sage, Esq. (1791); Miss M. Mackenzie
(1791); Caroline Walter (1791); and Miss Eliz. Benniworth
(1792). On the outside of the south wall of the chancel is a monument to the memory of Richard Cary, Esq. who died in 1707,
and his son Thomas, who died in 1710. In the east wall of the
north aisle, the monument of Samuel Martin, who died in 1740;
and on the north wall that of Edward Crispe, Esq. who died in
The following epitaph, in memory of John Ayton Thompson, a
youth of fifteen, was written by Arthur Murphy, Esq.
"If in the morn of life each winning grace,
"The converse sweet, the mind-illumin'd face,
"The lively wit that charm'd with early art,
"And mild affections streaming from the heart:
"If these, lov'd youth, could check the hand of fate,
"Thy matchless worth had claim'd a longer date.
"But thou art blest, while here we heave the sigh;
"Thy death is virtue wafted to the sky.
"Yet still thy image fond affection keeps,
"The fire remembers, and the mother weeps;
"Still the friend grieves, who saw thy vernal bloom,
"And here, sad task, inscribes it on thy tomb.
In 1349 John de Bray had a licence to give half an acre of land
to enlarge the church-yard (fn. 99) .
Rectory and vicarage.
The church of Chiswick is a vicarage in the patronage of the
dean and chapter of St. Paul's, who are ordinaries of the place, it
being exempt from the bishop's jurisdiction.
In the survey before mentioned (fn. 100) , of the churches and manors
belonging to the dean and chapter of St. Paul's, (taken about the
year 1245,) the inquisition relating to this parish says, that the
church of Sutton (meaning, I suppose, Chiswick) was in the demesne of the canons, who received from it ten shillings per annum
by the hands of the lessee. It paid also thirteen pence under the name
of synodals. The lessee collected the Peter's-pence, which he received to his own use. The glebe land belonging to the church was
16½ acres of arable, and one of meadow; all free land (fn. 101) . The
church had also a third part of the tithes both great and small, of the
demesnes, and of the treasurer's demesnes; and all the tithes of both
townships, except those of hay (fn. 103) . In the reign of Henry III. the
dean and chapter, out of respect, it seems, to Gualo, the Pope's Legate, granted a lease of the rectory of Chiswick to Tholomeus Romanus, for three marks per annum (fn. 104) . In 1327 it was rated at one hundred shillings (fn. 105) ; in Edward VIth's time at 40l. (fn. 106) It appears by the
survey of 1649, that the parsonage of Chiswick was then on lease to
John Edgar, at 4l. 10s. per annum; and that it was valued at 55l. 4s.
per annum over and above the reserved rent (fn. 107) . Another survey,
taken in 1650, values the rectory at 100l.; it was then in the occupation of Mr. Chaloner Chute (fn. 108) . The rectory is now leased, with
the manor of Sutton-court, the reserved rent of both together being
43l. per annum.
At a visitation of the church of Chiswick, anno 1252, it appeared
that the vicar received all the altarage (fn. 109) , and had a glebe of twelve
acres of arable, and one of meadow; besides which he was paid a
mark of silver annually by the chamberlain (fn. 110) . At the visitation,
anno 1458 (fn. 111) , the vicar's glebe was computed at twenty acres, which
he enjoyed for the purpose of finding a boy (for the choir) to assist in
the divine service. In the king's books this vicarage is valued at
9l. 18s. 4d. per annum; in the survey of 1649, at 53l. 18s.; in
that of 1650, at 58l.; in the latter survey is mentioned a glebe of
twenty acres and a half. Patrick Seamer was then vicar, having
been presented by the parliament after the sequestration of Mr. Packington (fn. 112) .
James Thompson, who was presented to the vicarage of Chiswick,
Nov. 4, 1658, by William Steele and others (fn. 113) , procured an allowance of sixty pounds per ann. out of the impropriated tithes,
April 27, 1660 (fn. 114) .
Thomas Elborowe, who was collated to this vicarage in 1662 (fn. 115) ,
published an exposition of the common-prayer, in two books (fn. 116) .
He was an intimate friend of John Barwick, who was made dean
of St. Paul's by Charles II. for his active loyalty and sufferings
during the civil war. Dr. Barwick, in the latter part of his life, frequently retired to his friend's house at Chiswick (fn. 117) .
The present vicar is the Rev. James Trebeck, M. A. who was
collated in 1781.
The earliest parish register that is now extant begins in 1678.
||Average of baptisms.
||Average of burials.
Comparative state of population.
The population of this place appears to have increased in a proportion of almost two to one within the last century. The principal
increase of buildings has been at Turnham-green; the present number of houses is 426; of which 163 are in Chiswick; 168 at Turnham-green; four at Stanford-brook; eleven at Little Sutton; and
eighty at Strand on the Green. The number of strangers here interred, as in most of the villages near London, swells the list of
Extracts from the Register.
"The Honble Richard Savage, Esq. and Madam Penelope Downs,
married by licence Aug. 21, 1679."
"The Rt honorable the Lady Kingstone, Baroness, of the parish
of St. James's in the liberty of London, buried Sept. 24, 1698."
Marriages of the Portland family.
"The Rt Honble William Earl of Portland, widower, and Jane
Lady Dowager Berkley, Baroness of Stratton, were married by
special licence from the Archbishop, May 12, 1700." This Earl
of Portland was father to the first, and great-grandfather to the present Duke. Lady Berkley was daughter of Sir John Temple, Bart.
and relict of John Lord Berkley of Stratton.
"The Honourable William Henry Benting, of the parish of St.
Martin in the Fields, in the liberty of Westminster, single man,
and the Honourable the Lady Elizabeth Noell, of the parish of
Twittenham in the county of Middlesex, single woman, were married by licence June 9, 1704." This was the first Duke of Portland, so created by George I. anno 1716. Collins calls him Henry
only. Lady Elizabeth Noel was daughter and co-heir of Wriothesly
Baptist, Earl of Gainsborough.
"James, son of Charles Lord Cornwallis, and Charlotte his wife,
"was born Sept. 16, and baptised Sept. 22, 1701. He was M. P.
for Eye in Suffolk, and commander of the Griffin fire-ship. He
died May 28, 1727 (fn. 118) .
"Josiah Barnet, a non-conformist, chaplain to my Lady Lort,
was buried Sept. 4, 1701." Lady Lort lived at Turnham-green.
Sir Stephen Fox.
His house at Chiswick.
"Sir Stephen Fox, Knt. and Christian Hope, were married by
licence July 11, 1703." Sir Stephen Fox laid the foundation of
his future eminence by his loyal and active services to Charles II.
during his exile (fn. 119) . He was elected a member of the first parliament which was called after the restoration, and continued to sit in
the house of commons with very little intermission till the day of
his death, having been twice one of the representatives for the city
of Westminster (fn. 120) . He was paymaster-general of the forces to
Charles II. and sat as one of the lords of the treasury during the
greater part of his reign, and that of King William III. He was
also one of the commissioners appointed by James II. but became so
obnoxious to that monarch by his opposition to his measures, that
he was one of those excepted by name, when, at the time of a
threatened invasion, a general pardon was promised to those who had
acted against him (fn. 121) . In the year 1685 Sir Stephen Fox purchased
a copyhold estate at Chiswick (fn. 122) , on which he built a villa, which
he made his principal residence-after he had retired from public business. King William was so pleased with it, that he is said to have
exclaimed to the Earl of Portland, upon his first visit, "This place
is perfectly fine; I could live here five days." This, it seems, was
his usual expression when he was much pleased with a situation;
and he is said never to have paid the same compliment to any other
place in England except Lord Exeter's at Burleigh (fn. 123) . Sir Stephen
Fox's house at Chiswick was inherited, according to the custom of
the manor, by his youngest son Henry, who aliened it to Spencer
Lord Wilmington in 1728 (fn. 124) ; from him it descended to James Earl
of Northampton anno 1744. Charlotte Lady Ferrers, the Earl's
youngest daughter, was admitted to it in 1755. It was sold by her
husband, the present Marquis Townshend, to the late Earl Morton,
and is now the property and residence of Robert Stevenson, Esq.
Earl of Ilchester.
Lord Holland, &c.
Christian Hope, whose marriage with Sir Stephen Fox is recorded
in the entry here quoted, was his second wise, and daughter of the
Rev. Charles Hope of Nasely, in the county of Lincoln. There was
a considerable disproportion in their ages, Sir Stephen being in his
seventy-sixth year. He had issue by her Stephen, (afterwards Earl
of Ilchester,) baptized at Chiswick Sept. 17, 1704; Henry, (afterwards Lord Holland, a distinguished political character in the last
reign, and father of the Right Hon. Charles James Fox,) baptized
at Chiswick Oct. 15, 1705; Christian, his twin sister, (who died in
her infancy by an accidental fall,) baptized the fame day; and
Charlotte, (afterwards married to the Hon. Edward Digby,) baptized at the same place, May 9, 1707.
"Sir Stephen Fox carried away to Farley in Wiltshire, Nov. 5,
1716." His father was of Farley, which was the family burialplace. Sir Stephen rebuilt the church there, and founded an hospital and a school.
"The Right Hon. Lucius Henry Ld Falkland, of St. James,
Westminster, single man, and Mad: Dorothee Molyneux, of St.
Gregory's, London, single woman, married by licence Oct. 5,
Barbara Duchess of Cleveland.
"Barbara Villiers, Duchess of Cleaveland, buried Oct. 13, 1709."
She was daughter of William Viscount Grandison, and wise of
Roger Palmer, Earl of Castlemain, a well known beauty in the court
of Charles II. and one of his most distinguished favourites. In the
year 1670 he created her Duchess of Cleveland, with limitation to
her son Charles Fitzroy and his heirs male. The title became extinct in 1773. The Duke of Cleveland's name appears among the
inhabitants of Chiswick in 1723.
Sir John Chardin.
"Sir John Chardin, buried Dec. 29, 1712." The celebrated traveller. He was born at Paris in 1643, being the son of a jeweller.
On the revocation of the edict of Nantz he left France, and with
many other refugees fought an asylum in this kingdom in the year
1685 (fn. 125) . His travels, which have been translated into English,
Flemish, and German, are much esteemed, as abounding with credible narratives, and exhibiting a just picture of the manners and
customs of Persia, and other oriental countries. The only inscription on his monument in Westminster-abbey is—Sir John Chardin—Nomen sibi fecit eundo. There is no memorial to him at
Chiswick. He lived in a house at Turnham-green which belonged
to James Howard, Esq. nephew of James Earl of Suffolk. It was
fold after Sir John Chardin's death to Thomas Lutwyche, Esq. and
was in 1762 the property of George Tuffnell, Esq. (fn. 126)
Countess of Fauconberg.
"Mary Countess of Fauconberg, buried Mar. 24, 1713." This
celebrated lady was third daughter of Oliver Cromwell. She was
married at Hampton-court Nov. 19, 1657 (fn. 127) . In person she is said
to have been handsome, yet at the same time to have resembled her
father: in the decline of life she grew pale and sickly. After seeing
all hopes of the sovereignty continuing in her own family cut off by
the death of her father, she is said to have exerted all her endeavours
for the restoration of monarchy. Lady Fauconberg bore the character of a pious, worthy woman, and constantly attended divine service at the parish church at Chiswick (fn. 128) . She resided at Suttoncourt (fn. 129) .
"Aug. 31, 1716, Mrs. Anne Bathurst, an infant daughter of the
Rt Honble Lord Bathurst, buried." It appears by this and other
entries, that the celebrated Allen Lord Bathurst, and his father Sir
Benjamin, resided occasionally at Chiswick.
" Adam Cardonnel, Esq. buried Mar. 3, 1718–9." He was secretary to the great Duke of Marlborough; several of Cardonnel's
letters are printed in the Duke's Life.
"Dame Frances Russel, widow of Sir John Russel, buried Feb. 1,
Sir Henry Bedingfield.
"Henry, son of Sir Henry Bedingfield, of Oxborough-hall in
the county of Norfolk, Bart. and the Rt Hon. Lady Elizabeth his
wife, born Oct. 27, baptized Nov. 3, 1723." Lady Elizabeth
was daughter of Charles Earl of Burlington. Sir Henry Bedingfield was engaged in an epistolary dispute with the celebrated Archibald Bower (fn. 129) , which discovered Bower's connection with the Jesuits, and led to a detection of his impostures, by Dr. Douglas, the
present Bishop of Salisbury.
"The Rt Honble Margaret Countess Dowager of Ranelagh, buried
Mar. 5, 1727."
"The Rt Hon. Charlotte Elizabeth, daughter of the Rt Hon. Richd
and Dorothy Boyle, Earl and Countess of Burlington, baptized
Nov. 24, 1731." She was married in 1748 to William Marquis
of Hartington, afterwards Duke of Devonshire, and father of the
"Charles, son of John and Sarah Holland, baptized April 3,
"1733." John Holland was a baker of Chiswick; his son Charles
was bound apprentice to a turpentine-merchant; but having a strong
inclination to the stage, and having met with much approbation for
the display of his theatrical talents in some private circles, he applied
to Garrick, who gave him good encouragement and good advice.
By his persuasion he punctually fulfilled his engagement with his
master, at the expiration of which, finding his passion for the theatre not abated, he made his first appearance at Drury-lane (anno
1754) in the character of Oroonoko, under the auspices of the manager, to whom he was much attached, and who continued his
friendship towards him till his death. Holland met with much applause, and continued to rise in reputation as an actor till his death.
He was cut off by the small-pox in the 36th year of his age, Dec. 7,
1769. About three years before his death he became joint manager
of the theatre at Bristol with Powell. He distinguished himself
principally in the characters of Richard III. Hamlet, Pierre, Timur
in Zingis, and Manley in the Plain Dealer. He was buried in the
church-yard at Chiswick on the 15th of December, his funeral being
attended by most of the performers belonging to the theatre (fn. 130) . The
following inscription is placed on his tomb.
"In a vault under this tomb lieth the body of Mr. Charles Holland, late of Drury-lane theatre, of whose character and abilities
David Garrick, Esq. has given testimony on a monument erected
to his memory in the chancel of this church, by permission of his
Grace the Duke of Devonshire."
The monument here alluded to is on the north wall of the chancel; a bust of Mr. Holland, in white marble, is placed over a tablet
inscribed with the following epitaph.
"If talents to make entertainment instruction, to support the
credit of the stage by just and manly action, if to adorn society
by virtues which would honour any rank and profession, deserve
remembrance, let him with whom these talents were long exerted,
to whom these virtues were well known, and by whom the loss
of them will be long lamented, bear testimony to the worth and
abilities of his departed friend Charles Holland, who was
born March 12, 1733; died December 7, 1769, and was buried
near this place.
"William Kent, Esq. from London, buried in a vault in the
chancel Ap. 17, 1748." Kent was both a painter and an architect; in the former capacity he acquired but little credit; as an
architect he was very eminent, and still more so as inventor of the
modern improvements in gardening. He died at the age of 64, in
the house of his patron Lord Burlington, in Piccadilly (fn. 131) .
"Lady Anne Oglethorpe, buried in the church-yard Nov. 1,
"James Ralph, Esq. buried Jan. 31, 1762." Mr. Ralph, who
is well known as a political and historical writer, was first settled in
America; he came over to England, in the beginning of George II.'s
reign, in company with Doctor Franklin, with whom he lived in
habits of great intimacy. His first attempt to establish a literary
reputation was by writing for the stage, in which he seems to
have mistaken the bent of his genius, for he produced a tragedy,
comedy, opera, and farce, with very little success. He published
some poems also, which were much ridiculed in the Dunciad, particularly one entitled Night, which is alluded to in the following
"Silence, ye wolves, while Ralph to Cynthia howls,
"Making Night hideous; answer him, ye owls."
However destitute of merit Ralph's poetry might be, Pope seems
to have been unjustly severe when he treats him as an illiterate scribbler. His political tracts were in their day in very great request;
and his History of England, commencing at the restoration, is still
held in considerable esteem. He was much in the confidence of
Frederick Prince of Wales, by whose death he lost all his expectations of preferment. Mr. Ralph resided in the prebendal part of the
College-house at Chiswick, which he rented of the dean and chapter
of Westminster. He died of the gout on the 24th of January 1762,
and his only daughter soon afterwards fell a victim to the same disorder (fn. 132) .
"William Hogarth, Esq. buried Novr 2, 1764." This celebrated painter, whose works and life are too well known to be enlarged on here, about the year 1750 purchased a house at Chiswick,
where, during the remainder of his life, he generally spent the
greater part of the summer. He was buried in the church-yard;
on his monument is the following inscription:
"Here lies the body of William Hogarth, Esq. who died
Oct. 26, 1764, aged 67 years.
"Farewell, great painter of mankind !
Who reach'd the noblest point of art;
Whose pictur'd morals charm the mind,
And through the eye correct the heart.
"If genius fire thee, reader, stay;
"If nature touch thee, drop a tear;
"If neither move thee, turn away,
"For Hogarth's honour'd dust lies here.
The following epitaph, written upon Hogarth by Dr. Johnson, is
printed in Mrs. Piozzi's Anecdotes.
"The hand of him here torpid lies,
"That drew th' essential form of grace;
"Here clos'd in death th' attentive eyes,
"That saw the manners in the face."
On the monument are memorials also of his sister, Anne Hogarth, who died in 1771; Jane his widow, who died in 1789, aged
80; and her mother Judith (relict of Sir James Thornhill, Knt.)
who died in 1757.
"Sir Thomas Robinson, Lord Grantham, buried, in a vault in
the chancel, Oct. 6, 1770." Sir. Thomas Robinson was ambassador to Vienna, and in the year 1754, was appointed secretary of
state. He was created Lord Grantham by his present Majesty in
"Charlotte Duchess Dowager of Somerset, buried in a vault in
the chancel, Jan. 30, 1773." Daughter of Daniel Earl of Winchelsea and Nottingham, and second wife of Charles Duke of
Somerset, who died in 1748. She lived at Sutton-court.
"The Revd Thomas Morel, D. D. buried Feb. 27, 1784." Dr.
Morell was educated at Eaton, and at King's-college, Cambridge.
He was Secretary of the Society of Antiquaries, and is known as
the editor of several Greek plays, and of the later editions of Ainsworth's Dictionary, and Hederic's Lexicon. He published also some
translations from Greek plays, composed the words of several Oratorios, and was one of the earliest writers in the Gentleman's Magazine (fn. 133) . Dr. Morell lived at Turnham-green; and was in habits of
great intimacy with Hogarth, whom he is said to have assisted in
writing his Analysis of Beauty. There is a portrait of him by his
friend, which is engraved. The manner of accenting Morell's name
being undecided, it was pronounced sometimes Mórell, and sometimes Morèll, which caused one of his friends to address him with
the following extempore jeu d'esprit.
"Sive tu mavis Morƒlus vocari five Morellus."
William Rose, LL.D.
"William Rose, buried July 11, 1786." Dr. Rose, a man of
amiable manners, and much esteemed in the literary world, had
been for about 30 years an inhabitant of this parish, where he kept
an academy. He was author of a well-known translation of Sallust,
and editor of several useful compilations in Latin, French, and English. His able criticisms greatly contributed towards establishing the
credit of the Monthly Review, in which he was one of the earliest
writers. Dr. Rose was born in the county of Aberdeen; he died
the 4th of July 1786, aged 67. The following lines to his memory, written by Arthur Murphy, Esq. are inscribed upon his
" Whoe'er thou art, with silent footsteps tread
"The hallow'd mould where Rose reclines his head.
"Ah ! let not folly one kind tear deny,
"But pensive pause where truth and honour lie:
"His, the gay wit that fond affection drew;
"Oft heard, and oft admir'd, yet ever new;
"The heart that melted at another's grief;
"The hand in secret that bestow'd relief;
"Science untinctur'd with the pride of schools,
"And native goodness free from formal rules:
"With zeal through life he toil'd in learning's cause,
"But more, fair Virtue, to promote thy laws:
"His every action fought the noblest end;
"The tender husband, father, brother, friend.
"Perhaps e'en now, from yonder realms of day,
"To his lov'd relatives he sends a ray;
"Pleas'd to behold affections like his own,
"With filial duty raise this votive stone."
"The Rt HonbleThomas Robinson, Lord Grantham, buried
July 27, 1786." The late Lord Grantham was born at Vienna
while his father was ambassador there; he himself was appointed
ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary to the court of Spain
in 1771, where he continued till the breaking out of the war in
1779. In 1781 he was appointed first lord of the board of trade
and plantations; and in 1782, secretary of state for the foreign department. He died at his seat on Putney-common, in the 48th year
of his age.
"The Hon. Harvey Bagot, buried June 2, 1787."
The most Noble George Van Den Bempde, Marquis of Annandale, buried May 7, 1792."
Instances of longevity.
The following instances of longevity occur in the parish register:
"Eliz. West, buried in her 100th year, Jan. I, 1758."
"Richd Gordon, poor, aged 100 years, buried May 19, 1780."
"Dorothy Linton, who was buried Aug. 19, 1728, was said to
"have been 105 years of age (fn. 133) ."
Christopher Stricland, Esq. is said to have died at Chiswick April
10th, 1782, aged 102; and E. Jackson, Esq. Nov. 13th, 1782,
aged 93 (fn. 134) .
Dr. Arthur Duck, buried at Chiswick in May 1649 (which was
before the parish register commences,) was a native of Devonshire,
and a fellow of All-Souls-college. He sat in the parliament of 1640,
and adhered to the royal party; was esteemed an excellent civilian,
and was sent for by Charles I. to Newport in the Isle of Wight, to
assist him in the treaty with the parliamentary commissioners. Dr.
Duck wrote the Life of Archbishop Chichele, and a Treatise on the
Civil Law (fn. 135) .
Ancient inventories of the goods and ornaments of the church.
Among the archives of the dean and chapter of St. Paul's, are two
inventories of the goods and ornaments belonging to the church
of Chiswick. The first bears date 1252, and may be thus translated:
"A good and sufficient missal sent from the treasury at St. Paul's.
It. two sufficient gradales (fn. 136) ;—a tropery (fn. 137) in good condition except
cept that it wants binding; an old legend (fn. 138) , with masses inserted
in various places, for the use of the monks; an antiphoner (fn. 139) in
good condition, with the notes properly marked; a good and
sufficient psalter. Item, there is no manual. It. a silver chalice,
small, and of little value; a chesible (fn. 140) of red velvet (fn. 141) with a
handsome orfray (fn. 142) ; a cope (fn. 143) entire and well ornamented; another cope with a white chesible, thin and torn; two maniples (fn. 144) ,
and a stole (fn. 145) ; three corporasses (fn. 146) ; five consecrated altar-cloths (fn. 147)
in good condition, one of them ornamented with silk; a silk cloth
of arest (fn. 148) , in good condition, given to the church by one of the
parishioners; an old chrismatory (fn. 149) ; a good and sufficient banner.
Item, there is no pix wherein to place the consecrated host. It.
two brafs candlesticks, and two of tin, and four tin vials. The
font much out of repair, and without a lock (fn. 150) . The chancel out
of repair, and the roof decaying. It. there is no collection for
lights except a halfpenny from each house for the paschall-taper;
it is ordered that a like collection be made for the rood-light (fn. 150) .
It. John Belemeis (then Prebend of Chiswick) has half a mark
towards the repairs of the chancel, left by Alexander the late treafurer. It. the church has not been dedicated (fn. 151) ."
In the other inquisition of the state of Chiswick church, dated
anno 1458, there is mentioned amongst the ornaments, a tablet of
alabaster (fn. 152) over the great altar, representing the death of our Saviour;
in the nave, two paintings representing the Last Judgment, and the
Five Joys of the Virgin Mary; a vest of green silk with flowers of
gold, and white birds; another vest of red silk with golden lions;
a third vest of red bawdekyn, (fn. 153) , with flowers of gold, being the
gift of William Dolman; a vest of black sattin, having orfrays of
green silk with white lilies; a green vest of "brod alysaunder
(fn. 154) ," with
white roses; and two frontals (fn. 155) . The chancel was represented as in
very bad condition, and the charges of repairing it estimated at twenty marks. Complaint was made of "22 elmys loppid and pollyd"
near the road of the procession.
It appears by the following entries in the church-wardens' books
at Chiswick, that the rates were formerly collected in the same manner as at Brentford.
|"1622. Cleared at Whitsuntide
|Paid for making a new payre of pigeing-holes
A charity-school was established in this parish by subscription in
the year 1707. Lady Capel, by her will, bearing date 1719, endowed
it with a share of an estate, which share then produced 81. per ann.
and is now increased to 11 1. Various benefactions (fn. 156) have formed a
stock, which now amounts to 7501. in the 3 per cents.; with the
interest of this, aided by an annual subscription and a charity sermon, twenty-five boys, and the same number of girls, are educated,
and the greater part of them clothed. The boys are taught in a
vestry-room in the church-yard; and the girls in a school-room
erected for that purpose by a subscription set on foot by the present
vicar in 1792.
Henry Fryer, by his will, bearing date 7 Car. II. left certain estates
to charitable uses, charged with a specisic sum of 100l. per annum,
to be divided between the poor of the parishes of St. Botolph Aldersgate, Harleston in the county of Cambridge, and Chiswick.—By
a decree of Chancery, 28 Car. II. the estates were conveyed to the
Lord Mayor and Common Council of the city of London, the Governor of St. Thomas, Christ's, and Bridewell hospitals, in trust,
charged with the sum of 40l. per annum to St. Botolph, 351. to
Harleston, and 251. to Chiswick. Thomas Barker, Esq. in 1642, left
the sum of 51. per annum to the poor. Mrs. Mary Quois, the sum
of 4001.; and Miss Elizabeth Lutwyche, the sum of 2001.; the
latter was laid out in the purchase of 2441. 5s. 6d. 3 per cent.
consolidated bank annuities, and the interest is distributed at the discretion of the vicar.
The parish have also two acres of land, an ancient and anonymous
benefaction; they are mentioned in the chantry-roll, temp. Edw. VI.
and were then valued, with two tenements, at 14s. 2d.
Some alms-houses were built by the parish at Strand on the Green
in the year 1725, and a work-house at Turnham-green the same year.
In the latter there are usually about seventy paupers.