Greeneforde, as this place is called, both in Edward the
Confessor's Charter of Confirmation, and in Doomsday book,
is literally the green ford, so called, perhaps, from a ford over the
Brent which runs through the parish.
Situation, boundaries, extent, &c.
The village is situated about a mile to the north of the Uxbridge
road, at the distance of about nine miles from Tybourn-turnpike.
It lies in the hundred of Elthorne, and the parish is bounded by
Harrow, Northall, Hanwell, Norwood, Ealing, and Greenford
Parva, or Perivale. It contains about two thousand acres of land
exclusive of roads; about one thousand two hundred and fifty acres
are inclosed; five hundred and eighty in common fields; ninety-six
woodlands inclosed; and about sixty-five waste—the proportion of
grass land to the arable is at least as three to one. The soil is
clay. This parish pays the sum of 289l. 17s. 4¼d. to the land-tax,
which, in the year 1793, was at the rate of 2s. 6d. in the pound.
The manor of Greenford, (i. e. Greenford Magna,) containing twelve
hides, was given by King Ethelred to Westminster-Abbey (fn. 1) . Greneforde, says the survey of Doomsday, is held by the Abbot of St.
Peter, for eleven hides and a half. The land is seven carucates.
Five hides are in demesne, on which there is one plough, and another might be employed. The villeins have five ploughs. One villein
holds a hide and a virgate; and four villeins, half a hide each; four
others hold a hide jointly; and seven bordars another hide. A certain
foreigner has a hide and a virgate. There are three cottars and six
slaves; pannage for three hundred hogs; pasture for the cattle of the
village.—The whole valued at 7l.; in the reign of the Confessor, at
10l. This manor, adds the record, was and is parcel of the possessions
of the church of St. Peter. Upon the dissolution of monasteries it was
seized by the crown, and was made a part of the revenues of the
bishopric of Westminster. Thomas Thirlby, the only bishop of
that see, surrendered it again to the crown anno 1550 (fn. 2) , in which year
it was granted to the Bishop of London and his successors (fn. 3) . The
manor was valued at 10l. per annum, anno 21 Hen. VIII (fn. 4) . It was
on lease, anno 1646, to Edwin Cason and his assigns, at the annual
rent of 81. and thirty quarters of wheat. The Parliamentary Survey describes the demesne-lands (in the parishes of Greenford and
Hanwell,) as containing ninety-four acres of meadow, valued at
nineteen shillings per acre; seventy-five acres of pasture, valued at
twelve shillings; and two hundred and eighty-nine acres of arable,
valued at ten shillings (fn. 5) . The mansion-house, and site of the manor
of Greenford, within the manors of Greenford and Hanwell, were
sold anno 1647 by the parliamentary commissioners, for the sum of
3301l. 10s. 11d. to Sir William Masham, Sir Richard Everard, and
Cary Hervey Mildmay, Esq (fn. 6) . It appears, from other documents,
that the demesne lands have from time immemorial been leased in
two parts, one of which (containing a hundred and sixty-four acres)
was held under Bishop Juxon, by Edward Franklin, Esq.; the lease
was renewed from time to time to his descendants, and is now vested in
Benjamin Way, Esq. whose father married an heir of that family (fn. 7) .
The other part (containing four hundred and forty-seven acres) was
leased, anno 1640, to Sir Charles Gerrard, Bart. (fn. 8) The lease came
afterwards successively to Rupert Browne, Esq. and John Bridger;
the latter made it over to Mr. Way, who conveyed it to Richard
Lateward, Esq. John Lateward, Esq. is the present lessee.
Manor of Stickleton Greenford.
An estate called the manor of Stickleton Greenford, in this parish,
was given by Nicholas de Farnham to the priory of Ankerwyke,
previously to Henry the Third's charter of confirmation to that monastery (fn. 9) . It was held under the Bohuns Earls of Hereford as superior lords of the fee (fn. 10) . The priory of Ankerwyke, with its appurtenances, was granted by Henry VIII. to Bisham Abbey (fn. 11) ; afterwards, on the dissolution of monasteries, to Andrews, the first Lord
Windsor (fn. 12) ; whose great grandson Henry, the fifth Lord Windsor,
sold this manor anno 1587 to Jerom Beale, Esq. (fn. 13) ; Henry Beale
aliened it anno 1632 to William Pennyfather, Esq. (fn. 14) ; and the latter
in 1637 to William Bennet, Esq (fn. 15) . In the year 1714 it was conveyed by Edward Bennet, Esq. and his son, to trustees for the use of
Frances Arundell, widow, whose daughter Frances married James
Rogers, Esq. (fn. 16) It was aliened anno 1737, by Mr. Rogers and his
wife to Sir Philip Medows and Vigerus Edwards, in trust for Philip
Craig, Esq. and Sarah his wife and their heirs, and is now the property of General Francis Craig, who pays a quit-rent to the heirs of
the late Duke of Kingston.
The parish church, which is dedicated to the Holy Cross, is a small
structure, and consists only of a nave and chancel; it is built principally of flints, and covered with red tiles; the windows all gothic:
at the west end is a low wooden spire. The chancel windows are
ornamented with ancient painted glass collected, and placed there
by Mr. Betham, the late rector. On the north wall is a brass plate
in remarkably good preservation (with the figure of a priest,) to the
memory of Thomas Symons, rector of the parish (fn. 15) . It was found
in the year 1783 upon repairing the church; and having been inlaid in a marble tablet, was affixed to the wall by Mr. Betham.
In the south-west corner of the chancel hangs a small wooden
tablet to the memory of Ann, daughter of Edward Terry, rector
of the parish, who died anno 1634, and James his eldest son, who
died in 1643. Their characters are recorded in two long inscriptions in English verse, which are printed on paper and nailed
to the board. On the same wall hangs another wooden tablet to the
memory of Ann, daughter of Thomas Waterhouse (fn. 16) , of Hertfordshire, who died in 164…In the chancel are the monuments also of
Michael Gardiner (fn. 17) , rector, 1630; Nathaniel White, 1638, and
others of his family; John Castell (fn. 18) , S. T. P. 1686; Sibyl, wife of
Rupert Browne, Esq. and daughter of Humphry Wyrley, of Hampstead-hall in Staffordshire (fn. 19) , 1711; and on the floor the tombs of
Edward Bennet, Esq. 1657; Margaret, wife of Edward Bennet, and
heir of Walter Moyle, 1710; William Millet, 1663; William
Terry, citizen of London, 1672; Henry, eldest son of Dr. John
Castell, 1715; and William Campbell, rector, 1769. On the south
wall of the nave is a tablet to the memory of Arthur Marlam and
his family, (no date;) on the same wall is a tablet with a very long
inscription in Latin verse, written by Simon Cofton (fn. 20) , in memory of
his wife Bridget, who died anno 1637. Her monument is in the
south-east corner of the nave. She is represented kneeling at a faldstool; her husband in the dress and attitude of a mourner. On the
floor of the nave is the figure of a priest—(the inscription gone,)
and a brass plate to the memory of Richard Thorneton, who died
On the outside of the chancel on the north wall, is the monument
of Edward Betham the late rector, who died in 1783; on the east
wall, that of Mr. Nathaniel Ravenor, 1792. In the church-yard are
the tombs of John Franklin, Gent. (fn. 20) 1644; Elinor, his second wife,
daughter of ——Pumpheret, 1654; Ann, his daughter, wife of
William Smith, Gent. of Nuneaton in the county of Warwick, 1668;
William Marnham, senior, 1771; George Wright, Esq. (commissarygeneral of horse to James Duke of Chandos, and William Earl of
Harrington, during the rebellion,) 1749; and Thomas Wotton, Esq.
The rectory with the advowson of Greenford, which had belonged
to Westminster-abbey, was granted by Henry VIII. after the dissolution of that monastery, to Sir Thomas Wroth, of Durance (fn. 21) . It continued some time in that family; and after passing through several
hands (fn. 22) , was purchased, previously to the year 1731 (fn. 23) , by King'scollege in Cambridge, to which society it still belongs. In the year
1327 the rectory was rated at nine marks (fn. 24) ; in the reign of Henry VIII. at 20l. (fn. 25) In 1650 the tithes and glebe were valued at
160l. per annum. The patronage was said to be vested at that time
in Edward Terry the incumbent (fn. 26) .
Rectors. John de Feckenham.
John de Feckenham, abbot of Westminster, being the last mitred
abbot who sat in the house of peers, was presented to the rectory
of Greenford in 1554, and held it two years (fn. 26) . His memory is to
be honoured for the humanity with which he treated the persecuted
Protestants during the reign of the bigotted Mary (fn. 27) .
Edward Terry, who was presented to the rectory in 1629, accompanied Sir Thomas Roe in his embassy to the Great Mogul in the
reign of James I. An account of his voyage was published, which
abounds with curious and interesting observations. He wrote also a
character of Charles II. and was author of several sermons and religious tracts (fn. 28) . Terry died at the age of seventy, and was buried at
Greenford in October 1660.
The present rector is the Reverend William Paddon, who was instituted in 1784.
The parish register begins in 1539.
Comparative state of population.
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
The present number of houses is sixty-nine.
In the year 1603 this retired village was visited by the plague; the
whole number of burials that year nevertheless was only eight, five
of whom were of the family of Barnard, and two children of "Mr.
Smith, verbi prædicatoris."
"The honourable Archibald Stewart, of the parish of St. George
Hanover-square, in the county of Middlesex, Esq. (brother of the
Earl of Moray,) and Miss Mary Whetham of the same parish,
spinster, were married by license July 11, 1747."
Henry Collyn gave lands to this church for the maintenance of
five lights to be kept burning constantly before the images of the
Trinity and St. Mary.
William Marnham the elder, in 1710 left lands, now let at 5l. 5s.
per annum, for the education of children. Edward Betham, the late
rector (fn. 29) , having previously built a school-house, gave (by his deed
inrolled in chancery, and bearing date November 10, 1780) the
sum of 1600l. bank stock to this parish, the interest of which he
directed to be thus distributed: 30l. per annum to a master and
mistress to instruct thirty boys and girls; 30s. coals for the school;
the remainder, excepting 10l. allotted to clothe such aged men and
women as should frequently attend the sacrament, is appropriated to
clothe the children, buy books, and keep the school in repair. The
salary of the master and mistress is now increased to 40l. per
George Smith, anno 1649, gave an acre of land, now let at
1l. 15s. per annum, to be distributed in bread three times a year.
William Millet, anno 1663, gave 5l. per annum to buy gowns of
frieze for two poor men and two women. Edward Betham (as abovementioned) 10l. per annum to clothe aged persons. Mr. William
Marnham the younger, anno 1713, gave lands, now let at 3l. 10 s.
per annum, for poor housekeepers not receiving alms.