Hamestede, as the name of this place was formerly
written, is the ancient way of spelling Homestead, a word
still in use, and signifying the site of a house with its appurtenances.
It is probable that it was sometimes applied by way of pre-eminence
to the residence of the lord of the manor.
Beautiful situation and prospects.
Places of entertainment.
This village, which, from its beautiful situation, is one of the
most noted in the neighbourhood of London, lies on the side of
a hill, about four miles from St. Giles's church. The fine views
of the metropolis, and the distant country, which are to be seen
from the heath, and from most parts of the hill on which the village is situated, are not the only beauties of the scene; the home
landscape, consisting of broken ground, divided with inclosures,
and well planted with elms and other trees, is extremely picturesque. Such attractions of situation, so near to the metropolis,
have always drawn together a great number of occasional visitants,
for whose accommodation several places of public entertainment
have been established. Of these, the Spaniard and the Flask
(taverns still remaining); a tea-drinking house called New Georgia (fn. 1) ,
where the company were diverted with various water-works; and
Bellsize House (fn. 2) , have been most remarkable.
Boundaries and extent.
The parish of Hampstead lies in the hundred of Ossulston, and is
bounded by Hendon, Finchley, Pancras, Marybone, Paddington,
and Wilsdon. It contains 2169 acres of land, of which a very
small proportion is arable. The waste is 273 acres.—The soil is
very various, loam, clay, bog-earth, gravel, &c. &c. The quota
charged to the land-tax is 855l. 17s. 4d. which is at the rate of
10d. in the pound, rack rent.
On the side of Hampstead hill, to the east of the town, is a spring
of mineral water strongly impregnated with iron, which was formerly
much frequented. Adjoining to it is a long room, used when the
wells were in fashion for promenades, public breakfasts, &c. now
converted into a chapel of ease.
Some Roman antiquities, consisting of sepulchral urns, vases,
earthen lamps, &c. were dug up in the wells' walks at Hampstead
in the year 1774 (fn. 2) .
On the heath are some springs belonging to the Hampstead
Water Company (fn. 3) .
The manor of Hampstead was given, anno 986, by King
Ethelred to the church of Westminster (fn. 4) , and confirmed by Edward
the Confessor. The survey of Doomsday describes the manor as
containing four hides; the land (says the survey) is of three carucates; three hides and a half belong to the demesnes, on which one
plough only is employed. The villeins have one plough, and could
employ another. There is one villein, who holds a virgate, five
bordars, who hold jointly one virgate, and one slave; pannage for
100 hogs; the whole valued at 50s., in the Confessor's time at 100s.
Within the limits of this manor Ranulph Peverel holds one hide in
villeinage under the Abbot. The land is half a carucate, and
valued at 5s. The whole was and is parcel of the church of
St. Peter. After the dissolution of the monastery, the manor of
Hampstead was settled upon the Bishop of Westminster, who surren
dered it into the King's hands, anno 1550 (fn. 5) . The King granted
it the same year to Sir Thomas Wroth (fn. 6) , in whose family it continued till 1620, when it was aliened by John Wroth, Esq. to Sir
Baptist Hickes, afterwards Viscount Campden (fn. 7) , whose eldest daughter and co-heir Julian married Edward Lord Noel, ancestor of the
present Earl of Gainsborough. His son Baptist Lord Noel and
Viscount Campden, having been an active loyalist, his estates were
confiscated. He was suffered to compound for this manor in the
year 1656, upon condition of paying a considerable sum of money,
and engaging to settle 50l. per ann. on trustees, for the use of the
minister of Hampstead (fn. 8) . The manor continued in the Gainsborough family till the year 1707, when it appears to have been
aliened to Sir William Langhorne, Bart. (fn. 9) , by whom it was bequeathed to his nephew William Langhorne Games, Esq. It
devolved afterwards (as entailed by Sir William Langhorne) to
Margaret Maryon, widow (about 1732) (fn. 10) . Her son the Rev. John
Maryon succeeded to it; and it was afterwards the property of his
sister Margaret Maria, wife, first of John Badger Weller, Esq.
and secondly of John Jones, Esq. (fn. 11) It now belongs to Sir
Thomas Spencer Wilson, Bart. in right of his wife Jane, daughter
of J. B. Weller, by his wife Margaret Maria above-mentioned.
Manor of Shuttop-hill.
The Knights Templars were possessed of 100 acres of arable
land, and a small quantity of meadow in this parish (fn. 12) . This estate,
which, after the abolition of the Templars, belonged to the Priory
of St. John of Jerusalem, was granted by Henry VIII., anno 1547,
to Sir Roger Cholmeley (fn. 13) , Chief Baron of the Exchequer. In the
year 1594 Robert North, and Alice his wife, had the King's licence
to alien a moiety of the manor of Hampstead, four messuages, &c.
200 acres of arable land, 50 of meadow, 200 of pasture, 140 of
wood, and 100 waste, in the parishes of Hampstead, Wilsdon, and
Hendon, to Sir Arthur Atye, and Judith his wife (fn. 14) . The same
day Henry Slingsby had a licence to alien the other moiety to
the same parties (fn. 15) . Sir Arthur Atye died seised of the manor of
Hampstead, alias Shuttop Hill, anno 1604, leaving Robert his son
and heir (fn. 16) . Some alienations of this manor to the families of St.
John and Roberts, who were allied to the Atyes by marriage (fn. 17) , are
to be found at the Rolls (fn. 18) . In the year 1663, it was aliened by
dame Elinor Roberts and her daughter to Edward Nelthorpe, Esq.
whose daughter married Thomas Liddell, Esq. Henry Liddell, Esq.
who died in 1768, bequeathed it to his nephew Richard Middelton,
Esq. of Chirk Castle in Denbighshire, who, in 1773, aliened it to
John Powell, Esq. (fn. 19) It is now the property of Arthur Annesley
Site of the priory
In the reign of Henry I. Godwin, a hermit, built a hermitage
at Cuneburn (now Kilbourn) in this parish, which he afterwards
gave, with all the lands thereto belonging, to Emma, Christina,
and Gunilda, three nuns. Herebert, Abbot of Westminster, and
Osbert de Clare the Prior, at Godwin's request, not only confirmed
the grant, but augmented it with a rent of 30s. and some land at
Knights-bridge (fn. 20) . The hermitage now became a nunnery of the
order of St. Benedict. Godwin was appointed Warden during his
life, the future nomination of a warden was reserved to the Abbot of Westminster; who, at first, had sole authority over the
nunnery, Gilbert Bishop of London having exempted it from the
jurisdiction of his church; but afterwards a composition took place,
anno 1231, by virtue of which the bishops of London were to admit the warden on the abbot's presentation; they were also to
exercise certain of their episcopal functions within the convent at
their pleasure, to preach, hear confessions, enjoin penance, consecrate the nuns, &c. &c. (fn. 21) The convent was dedicated to the
Virgin Mary and St. John Baptist. References to various grants
relating to it will be found in the notes (fn. 22) . At the dissolution its
possessions were valued at 74l. 7s. 11d. per ann. (fn. 23) . The site was
granted, anno 1537, to the priory of St. John of Jerusalem (fn. 24) , and
when that monastery also was dissolved, to John Earl of Warwick (fn. 25) ,
who immediately aliened it to Richard Taverner (fn. 26) ; the latter conveyed it, anno 1550, to John Lamb (fn. 27) , who died seised of it anno
1567 (fn. 28) . It was afterwards the property of the Josselyns, and was
aliened by Henry Josselyn, anno 1584, to Sir Henry Gate (fn. 29) . Robert
Moore, Esq. died seised of it, anno 1597, leaving three daughters
co-heirs (fn. 30) . It was afterwards the property of Sir Arthur Atye (fn. 31) .
Since his time it has passed through the same hands as the manor
of Shuttop-hill (fn. 32) , till the year 1773, when it was aliened by
Richard Middelton, Esq. of Chirk Castle, to Richard Marsh,
Gent. (fn. 32) , whose grandson, Mr. Richard Marsh, is the present proprietor.
There are now no remains of the Priory; but the site is very
plainly to be seen in the Abbey-field, nearly adjoining to a teadrinking house called Kilbourn-wells. The Abbey farm consists
of about 46 acres.
Manor of Belses, or Belsize.
Sir Roger le Brabazon, in the year 1317, gave an estate in
Hampstead, consisting of a messuage and 57 acres of land, to Westminster-Abbey, for the purpose of founding a chantry at the altar of
St. John the Evangelist, for the souls of Edmund Earl of Lancaster, Blanch his wife, and the said Sir Roger (fn. 33) . This estate,
which in ancient writings is called the Manor of Belses, was, in
the year 1319, assigned to Reginald de Hadham the Prior, and his
successors, to be held by lease under the Convent (fn. 34) . The mansion
on this estate, called formerly Belseys, and afterwards Belsize-house,
was the residence of Sir Armigal Waad, (Clerk of the Council to
Henry VIII. and Edward VI.) the first Englishman who made discoveries in America (fn. 35) . He died at Belsize, June 20, 1568, and
was buried in the parish-church at Hampstead (fn. 36) . His son Sir William Waad was clerk of the council to Queen Elizabeth, who employed him as her ambassador to Spain. He was afterwards lieutenant of the Tower. Sir William resided also at Belsize, and lies
buried with his father at Hampstead. There was formerly a monument to the memory of Sir Armigal in the church (fn. 37) . Belsize was
afterwards the seat of Thomas Lord Wotton, whose eldest daughter
and co-heir married Henry Lord Stanhope, son of the first Earl of
Chesterfield. The estate is held under the church of Westminster
by the present Earl, on a lease for three lives. Both the mansionhouse (fn. 38) and park have long been in the occupation of under-tenants.
In 1718, it was on lease to Charles Povey, a man of a scheming and
speculative turn, who, in a pamphlet called England's Inquisition,
written in that year, and dated from Belsize, inveighs bitterly against
the Whig Ministry, and claims the merit (among other services
rendered to his country) of having refused to let Belsize (anno
1712) to the Duke D'Aumont, the French Ambassador, who had
offered him 1000l. for the use of it during his residence in this
kingdom, being induced so to do by the conveniency of the chapel
then newly erected upon the premises. Mr. Povey being determined, as he says, that a protestant chapel should not be turned
into a mass-house, refused the offer, however advantageous, and
afterwards made a tender of Belsize-house to the Prince of Wales
as an occasional retirement, but it was not accepted. In the
year 1720, Belsize-house was opened as a place of public
entertainment (fn. 39) , by one Howell, who appears to have possessed a considerable share of low humour, and to have been known
by the name of the Welsh Ambassador (fn. 40) . Music was provided, and
various amusements for all hours of the day. It seems to have
been a place of resort for persons of all ranks (fn. 41) , and if the satire in
a poem called "Belsize-house" (printed anno 1722) be not overcharged, it exceeded, in immorality and dissipation, any place of
public entertainment which now exists. Belsize continued open as
late as the year 1745, when foot-races were advertised there (fn. 42) .
In the year 1410, the towns of Hampstead and Hendon were
assigned to Henry Lord Scrope of Masham, for the maintenance of
his servants and horses, he being then attending parliament on the
King's service (fn. 43) .
Hampstead has been the residence of many eminent persons,
some of whom have resorted to it as a place of occasional retirement, either for pleasure or health, whilst others have made it a
more permanent abode.
Sir Henry Vane.
Chief Baron Wylde.
Sir Jeffrey Palmer.
Arthur Maynwaring, Gay, and Arbuthnot.
Sir Richard Steele
Booth, Wilks, and Cibber
Sir Henry Vane, a distinguished character during the civil war, had
a house at Hampstead, where he resided at the time of the Restoration (fn. 44) . It is supposed to be that which is now the property of
James Pilgrim, Esq. and belonged to the celebrated Dr. Butler,
Bishop of Durham. The Bishop lived there many years, and
ornamented the windows with a considerable quantity of stained
glass, (consisting principally of subjects from scripture,) which still
remains there. John Wylde, who had been Lord Chief Baron of
the Exchequer during the Civil War, and drew up the impeachment against the bishops, led a retired life at his house at Hampstead, and died there about nine years after the Restoration (fn. 45) .
Sir Jeffrey Palmer, Attorney-general, and Chief Justice of Chester, (author of a book of reports,) died there May 5, 1670 (fn. 46) .
Joseph Keble, a lawyer of much eminence, who published reports
and other professional works, had a house at Northend in this
parish (fn. 47) . William Sherlock, the celebrated divine, (father of Bishop
Sherlock,) died at Hampstead, anno 1707 (fn. 48) . Thomas Rowe, author
of Lives of illustrious Persons, and husband of Mrs. Elizabeth
Rowe, died there, anno 1715 (fn. 49) . Arthur Maynwaring, (author of the
Medley) (fn. 50) , Gay (fn. 51) , and Arbuthnot (fn. 52) , were all temporary inhabitants
of this place, where they took lodgings on account of their health.
Sir Richard Steele, in the latter part of his life, retired to a small
house on Haverstock-hill, in the road to Hampstead. At this time
the Kit-Cat Club held their summer meetings at the upper Flask on
Hampstead-heath; and Pope, or some of his friends, used to call
on Steele and take him to the place of rendezvous (fn. 52) . Booth, Wilks,
and Cibber had a summer retirement on the Heath, where they
used to concert plans for the public entertainment during the ensuing dramatic season. Dr. Mark Akenside resided at Hampstead
several years in the practice of his profession.
On the side of the hill is an ancient building called the Chicken-house, in a window of which are small portraits in stained glass of
James I. and the Duke of Buckingham. Tradition says that it was
a hunting seat of James II.
Sir R. P. Arden, Master of the Rolls, has a beautiful villa near
the church; Lord Loughborough, the present chancellor, has a
villa also in the parish.
The old church at Hampstead (fn. 53) was pulled down in the month
of April 1745; the present church, which is dedicated to St. John,
was consecrated by Dr. John Gilbert, (then Bishop of Llandaff,)
Oct. 8, 1747. It is a brick structure consisting of a nave and two
aisles; the communion table is at the west end. At the east end is
a small square tower, on which is a low spire.
The only monument in the church is that of Anthony Askew,
M. D. F. R. S. (fn. 54) , who died Feb. 28, 1774, aged 52. It stands at
the west end. In the north aisle is a flat stone inscribed to the
memory of John Rixton, Gent. who died anno 1658. On the
outside wall of the belsry is the monument of William Taylor, Esq.
Page of the Bed-chamber to George I. and II. Ob. 1747.
Tombs in the church-yard.
In the church-yard are the tombs of Abigail, wife of John Whorwood, Esq. of Stourton-castle, and daughter of Sir William Waade,
Knt. (date worn); Daniel Bedingfield, Gent. of Gray's-Inn, Clerk
of the Parliaments (1637); Edward Jones, an eminent printer (fn. 55)
(1700); Mr. James Astry of Eaton Sooton in the county of Bedford (1700); Thomas Weedon, merchant (1714); Lady Elizabeth,
wife of Richard Norton, Esq. and daughter of Edward Earl of
Gainsborough (1715); Mr. John Steedman (1716); Robert Delgardno, Gent. (1717); William Hart, citizen of London (1717);
John Hart (1723); Mr. Jerome Churchy (1717); William
Churchy, Esq. of Henstridge in the county of Somerset (1742);
Mary Churchy, daughter of John Bourchier, Esq. (1760); William Churchy, Esq. (1772); Mrs. Mary Swinburn (1718); Mr.
John Vincent (1719); John Vincent (1755); Richard Vincent,
Esq. of the Middle Temple (1776); Robert Vincent, Esq. (1786);
Sarah, daughter of John Vincent, and wife of Lewis Schuman
(1767); Lewis Schuman, merchant (1769); Mr. Nicholas Jonquett
Lepine (1721); Mr. Henry Dottin (1721); James Comber, Esq.
(1721); Dame Julia, relict of Sir William Blackett, Bart. and
afterwards wife of Sir William Thomson, Knt. Recorder of London (1722); William Popple, Esq. (1722); William Popple, Esq.
Governor of Bermudas (1764); Mr. Edward Fincham (1722);
John Sandford, citizen of London (1722); Thomas Ubank, Gent.
(1723); Ralph Ord, Esq. (1724); Henry Ord, Esq. (1756);
Henry Ord Jun. Esq. (1757); James Ord, Esq. (1771); Mr. William Blanford (1724); Dorothy, wife of Christopher Digges, Gent.
(1725); Capt. John Merry, Deputy-governor of the Hudson's
Bay Company (1728); John Merry, Esq. (1765); Robert Merry,
Esq. (1774); Mr. David Middleton (1729); Benjamin Bradley,
merchant (1731); ——Butler, Esq. (1734); Mrs. Mary Levett
(1734); William Brooke, Esq. (1734); Thomas Fish, Esq.
(1736); Richard Houlditch, Esq. (1736); Richard Houlditch,
Esq. (1759); Mary, daughter of Richard Houlditch, and wife of
William Jarman (1764); Mr. Wm. Jarman (1768); Mr. Thomas
Compere (1739); Mr. Isaac Lowndes, apothecary (1739); William Yerbury, Esq. (1739); Robert Warren, D. D. Rector of
Hampstead and Stratford-Bow (1740); Dorothy his widow (1742);
Rev. Langhorne Warren his son (1762); John Lloyd, Esq.
Guidon-Major of the third troop of horse-guards (1740); Mr.
Pinckney (1743); James Rainge, Gent. aged 103 (1743); Rev.
George Watts, Curate of Hampstead 49 years (1746); Dorothy,
wife of John Underwood, Esq. and daughter of —— Lucas,
(1746); Edward Atkinson, Gent. of Lincolnshire (1748); Tabitha his daughter, wife of Thomas Hutchinson, Esq (1771); Sarah,
wife of Whichcote Turner, Esq. (1749); Robert Carey, Esq.
(1751); Robert Carey, Esq. (1777); Sophia, daughter of Mr.
George Willes, uncle of the Lord Chief Justice (1751); Mr.
Jonathan Pennington (1753); Thomas Lloyd, Esq. (1753); John
Whishaw, Esq. (1753); Roger Dunster Sumpter, Esq. (1754);
Alexander Dunlop, surgeon (1754); Mr. Charles Dunlop (1778);
Charles Smyth, merchant (1755); John Turner, Esq. (1755);
Elizabeth his widow (1772); Mr. Joshua Evans (1757); Dr. Peter
Henry (1762); John Oughterlony, merchant (1762); James Pitt [?],
Esq. (1763); Elizabeth, widow of Samuel Dicker of Walton, Esq.
(1763); Mr. Lewis Combrune (fn. 55) , merchant (1764); Mr. James
Mac Ardell (1765); William Godfrey, Esq. (1766); Mrs. Mary
Moncrieff (1766); Capt. John Jefferson (1767); Godfrey Schreve,
Esq. (1767); Robert Pringle, Esq. barrister at law (1768); Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Jones, Gent. of South Cerney in the county
of Gloucester, daughter of Richard Coomes (1768); Mr. John
Gretton (1768); Thomas Baddison, Esq. (1770); Nathaniel
Booth Lord Delamere (fn. 56) (1770); Margaret Lady Delamere (1773);
Hon. Elizabeth Booth (1765) (fn. 57) ; Henry Booth, an infant son
(1748); Nathaniel Booth, aged 12 (1757); Charles Douglas, Esq.
brother of Sir John Douglas, Bart. (1770); Lieutenant James
Frith (1771); Lieutenant John Frith (fn. 58) (1788); John Guide, Esq.
(1771); Hugh Forbes, Esq. (1772); Marck Cade, surgeon (1773);
Henry Barnes, Esq. (1773); John Schrimshire, Esq. (1774); Thomas Gardnor, Esq. aged 91 (1775); Jonathan Perrie, Gent.
(1775); Robert Davenport, Esq. Russian merchant (1776); Mau
rice Griffith, Esq. (1777); Thomas Lane, Esq. (1779); Taverner
Wallis, Esq. (1779); Joseph Debausre (1779); Stephen Guion,
Esq. (1779); Jannetta de Conti, (daughter of Cosimo Count de
Conti, a noble Tuscan, by Jannetta only daughter of Robert White,
Esq. of the family of Lord Rollo, by Jane Mackenzie of the families of Ross and Seaforth, born at Tripoli when her father was
consul there,) ob. (1780); Mr. Thomas Allport, surgeon (1780);
John Nowell, Esq. (1780); Gerrard Havard, Esq. (1781); Mr.
John Hanson (1782); Thomas Hill (1782); Vincent Matthias,
Esq. (1782); Mrs. Davy, relict of Serjeant Davy (1783); John
Hoyland of Sheffield, Gent. (1783); Mrs. Jane Hemet, (an actress
known by the name of Lessingham, belonging to Covent-garden
theatre (1783); George Yeates, Esq. (1784); Anne Catherine, wife
of Mr. Henry Law, merchant, and daughter of Thomas Sheppard,
Esq. (1785); John Hawys, Esq. (1786); John Pheadrea Chubb,
Esq. (1786); Catherine Maria, wife of —— Gonetti of Portland
Place (1787); Thomas Hayes, surgeon (1787); Jacob Gossett, Esq.
(1788); Robert Moodie, practitioner of physic at Nassau in the
Isle of Providence, and surgeon to the Prince of Wales's American
regiment (1789); Mary, wife of Valentine Green, Esq. (1789);
John Wingfield, Esq. (1789); Harriot, wife of Thomas Rumsey,
Esq. (1789); Sophia, relict of John Hinde, Esq. (1790); Mr.
Kenneth Mackenzie, son of Kenneth Mackenzie, Esq. (1790);
William Jeffreys, surgeon (1790); Andrew Johnstone, Esq.
(1791); Elizabeth Morrill his sister (1782); Nathaniel Turner,
Esq. of Stoke-Hall in the County of Suffolk (1791); George
Vaughan, Esq. (1791); Rev. Francis Humphreys, A.M. Curate
of Hampstead for 30 years (1792); Philadelphia, wife of Tysoe
Samuel Hancock, Esq. (1792); and Richard Ambrose, Esq.
A piece of ground was added to the church-yard in 1738.
The church of Hampstead was considered as a chapel of ease to
Hendon till the year 1477, when it became appropriated to the
Abbot and convent of Westminster (fn. 58) , who had before been the
patrons. From this time it became a donative or perpetual
curacy, the patronage of which has always been annexed to the
manor (fn. 59) .
When Lord Campden compounded for his estates during the
interregnum, he entered into an agreement to allow John Sprint,
then curate of Hampstead, 50l. per ann. out of the great tithes (fn. 60) .
The curacy was valued at 10l. per ann. in the reign of Edw. VI.
as appears by the Chantry Roll (fn. 61) .
Robert Warren, Curate of Hampstead, who died in 1740, published fifty-two practical discourses in 3 vols. 8vo; several single sermons, and some pamphlets in answer to Bishop Hoadly's Treatise
on the True Nature of the Sacrament.
The present Curate is the Rev. Erasmus Warren, A. M. presented
in the year 1762.
Mr. William Pierce, anno 1771, founded a Friday Evening
Lecture, which he endowed with 24l. per annum, to be held by
the resident curate. He left 5l. per ann. also to the parish clerk,
2l. for candles, 1l. for the bell-ringer, and 3l. to be distributed in
bibles and prayer-books; the whole being the interest of 1700l.
3 per cent. consol. This lecture is at present supplied alternately
by the two resident curates, the Rev. Charles Grant, A. M. and
the Rev. Samuel White, A. M.
There is a meeting-house in this parish for the Presbyterian
Dissenters, and another for the people called Methodists.
The earliest date of the parish register is 1560.
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
When Hampstead was granted to Westminster Abbey by King
Ethelred, anno 986, it contained only five cottages, (mansiunculæ)
(fn. 62) .
Comparative state of population.
It appears by the above tables, that the population of this place
has increased within the last two centuries in a proportion of about
seven to one. The present number of houses is 686.
The number of burials in 1603 was seven only, in 1625, 23;
it is to be presumed therefore that this village escaped the dreadful
calamity of the plague which was so fatal in those years. It was
not so fortunate in 1665, when 214 burials are recorded, being more
than seven times the average number of that period.
Extracts from the Register.
Sir Arthur Atey.
"Charles Athey, son of Arthur Athey, baptized Jan. 23,
1598–9." Sir Arthur Atey, who resided at Kilbourn Priory,
was Principal of Alban Hall, and Orator of the University of Oxford. He was secretary to the unfortunate Earl of Essex, in whose
ruin he was very near being involved, and was obliged for a
time to conceal himself. He was knighted on the accession of
James I. and dying anno 1604, was buried, as Wood says, at
Harrow (fn. 63) .
"Frances Audle, daughter of the Lord Audle, Earle of Castlehaven, baptized July 3, 1617." This daughter is not mentioned
in the peerages.
"Oliver Pleydell, son of Sir Charles Pleydell, (by Jane his wife,)
baptized July 3, 1621; John, July 11, 1622; Gabriel, Sept.
24, 1623; Giles, Sept. 21, 1625; Lucy, Jan. 6, 1625–6 (buried
Jan. 12); Allen, July 19, 1627 (buried June 7, 1631); Charles,
Jan. 20, 1628–9; Edward, buried June 1, 1629; Lucy, baptized
Feb. 22, 1629–30; (buried Sept. 13, 1633)." Sir Charles Pleydell was high sheriff for the county of Wilts, anno 1620, in which
year he was knighted. His second wife was Jane, daughter of Sir
John St. John of Lydiard Tregoze, and relict of Robert Atey,
Esq. of Kilbourn. Oliver Pleydell here mentioned, was ancestor
of Edmund Morton Pleydell, Esq. of Dorsetshire. John was
knighted, and resided at Brinkworth in Wiltshire. Charles was
settled at Minety, in Glocestershire, and lies buried there. Gabriel
and Giles died young (fn. 64) .
"Sr Lewis Morgan, Knt. buried July 3, 1635."
Family of West, Lord Delaware.
"Charles, son of Charles Lord Delaware, and Anne his wife,
baptized June 16, 1645." He died before his father, without
issue; Horatio, baptized Oct. 25, 1646, died in Barbadoes unmarried; Sophia, baptized April 6, 1661, died unmarried.
"Sr Francis Faw, and Mrs. Hannah Rushworth, married May
"Durham, son of Sr Gilbert Gerard, buried May 27, 1664."
"Ursula, wife of Sr Robert Brett from Whit-Stanton near Chard
in Somersetshire, buried Mar. 31, 1671."
"Charles, son of Sr William Jones and Elizabeth his wife,
baptized Sept. 24, 1671, buried Oct. 2, 1679; Thomas, baptized June 22, 1672, buried July 25, 1673."
"Tyke Marrow, servant to Judge Dolben, buried May 26,
1679; Mrs. Frances Harrington from Sr William Dolben's, Oct.
13, 1685." It appears from these entries, that Judge Dolben
resided several years at Hampstead.
Sir Thomas Estcourt.
"Thomas, son of Sr Thomas Estcourt and Mary his wife, was
born 26 Jan. and baptized Feb. 8, 1680." Sir Thomas Estcourt
was a master in Chancery.
"Mr. Evan Tyler (Prince Tyler so called) a printer, was buried
Dec. 15, 1682."
Family of Butler, Earl of Carrick.
"The Lady Eleanor Butler, Viscountess of Vicary Ikerrin,
buried Sept. 27, 1687." Wife of James Butler the third Viscount Ikerine, and daughter of Col. Daniel Redman. "James
Butler, Lord Vicary Ikerrin in Ireland, buried Oct. 26, 1688.
Thomas Butler, Lord Ikerrin in Ireland, buried Mar. 8, 1719–20."
Thomas was the sixth Viscount, being youngest son of James here
mentioned. He succeeded his nephew James, a minor, anno 1712.
Thomas Lord Ikerine was a clergyman, and chaplain-general to the
army in Flanders. His son Somerset Hamilton was created Earl of
Carrick, and was father to the present Earl (fn. 64) .
"Mr. Thomas Javon, from London, buried Dec. 24, 1688."
Thomas Jevon was an actor and dancing-master; in both of which
professions he attained great eminence, especially in the former.
His general cast was that of low comedy. He died in the 36th
year of his age, and was buried in the church-yard at this place,
where there was formerly a stone with an inscription to his memory, but it has either been removed or is become illegible. Jevon
published a dramatic piece called the Devil of a Wife, which has
been revived under a variety of forms, and is the ground-work of
the popular farce called The Devil to Pay, or the Wives Metamorphosed (fn. 65) . It seems probable that Jevon had an occasional residence
at West-End in this parish. Thomas Jevon, an infant from that
hamlet, was buried Sept. 13, 1684.
"The Hon. Charles Saunderson, buried from Mr. Hoare's,
May 20, 1694." Saunderson was the family name of Lord
Viscount Castleton of Ireland, which title became extinct in
"Sr Edwin Stede, Knight, of Stede-Hall in Kent, buried
Aug. 2, 1695."
"Gamaliel Lloyd, servant to the Lord Berkley, buried July 9,
"Danl Hardy, servant to the Earl of Lindsey, buried May 5,
"John Pate, belonging to the playhouse, buried Jan. 14,
"Rachael Lucy (fn. 66) , daughter of Sr William Ingolsby, buried
Aug. 12, 1705."
"Mary, daughter of Richard Ld Viscount Fitzwilliam, (a Roman Catholic,) was baptized Sep. 8, 1707." She was appointed
maid of honour to the Princess of Wales in 1726. In 1733 she
married Henry Earl of Pembroke; and 2dly, in 1751, North
Ludlow Bernard, Esq. (fn. 67)
"Anne, daughter of Sr Winwood and Lady Elizabeth Mowet,
baptized July 7, 1715."
Christopher and William Bullock.
"Christopher Bullock, buried April 8, 1722." A rising actor,
and joint-manager of the theatre in Lincoln's-Inn-Fields. He was
son of Mr. William Bullock, an eminent comedian, who had a
house at North End in this parish. A newspaper of the time, speaking of his death, says, that he was the only person likely to succeed
Cibber in the Fop's character (fn. 68) . His corpse was attended from
North-End to the place of interment by a great number of gentlemen from both the theatres. Bullock wrote several dramatic pieces,
which are enumerated in the Biographia Dramatica. His wife, who
was a natural daughter of Wilks the celebrated comedian, (by Mrs.
Rogers,) survived him many years. She was upon the stage, and
supported some principal characters. In the advertisement for her
benefit, April 8, 1735, it was announced, that the character of
Timothy Peascod would be performed by Mr. Daniel French
of Hampstead (fn. 69) . Margaret Bullock was buried at Hampstead,
Nov. 15, 1729. Hildebrand Bullock, Oct. 21, 1733. The name
of Mr. H. Bullock frequently occurs in play-bills previously to this
"Sr William Blackett of Wallington in the county of Northumberland, and the Hon. Lady Barbara Villiers of Hampstead,
were married Sep. 20, 1725." Lady Barbara was daughter of
William Earl of Jersey.
"Dr. George Sewell, buried Feb. 12, 1725–6." Dr. Sewell was
a physician, and followed his profession at Hampstead with con
siderable success, till three other gentlemen of the faculty settled
there also, which so far diminished his profits, that he is supposed
to have died in great poverty. His funeral was uncommonly mean,
and not attended by a single friend. Dr. Sewell contributed several papers to the supplemental volumes of the Spectator and Tatler,
was concerned in a translation of Ovid's Metamorphoses, and was
author of Sir Walter Ralegh, a tragedy of much merit. He left
some fragments of another called Richard the First (fn. 70) .
"Marriages.—The Honble Nathaniel Booth, Esq. of Hampstead,
to Margaret Jones, spinster, of the parish of St. Paul, Covent-Garden, by the Revd Dr Hales of Teddington, April 26,
1743." Nathaniel Booth was grandson of the first Lord Delamere, which title he afterwards inherited. It became extinct at his
death (fn. 71) .
Earl and Countess of Buchan.
"The Rt Honble David Erskine Earl of Buchan, buried Oct. 17,
1745; from London." The fourth earl of that family, and
grandfather of the present earl. "The Rt Honble Isabella Countess
of Buchan, buried May 21, 1763." Daughter of Sir William
Blackett, Bart. and second wife of the Earl of Buchan. The
Scotch Peerage calls her Elizabeth.
"Mr. Joseph Dorman was buried Feb. 13, 1754, N. S." Author
of a dramatic entertainment called Sir Roger de Coverley.
"James Pitt, Esq. from London, buried Jan. 23, 1763." Mr.
Pitt, who died at his house in Essex-street at the age of 84,
had formerly been editor of one of the periodical papers in
favour of Sir Robert Walpole, and is supposed to be the person
alluded to in the Dunciad under the name of Mother Osborne (fn. 72) .
Some letters of Mr. Pitt's are printed in Dr. Howard's Collection.
"William Popple, from London, buried Feby 13, 1764." Mr.
Popple, who was Governor of Bermudas from the year 1745 till
his death, wrote two comedies, called "The Lady's Revenge," and
"The Double Deceit." He translated Horace's Art of Poetry,
was connected with Aaron Hill in a periodical paper called The
Prompter, contributed to other similar publications, and wrote
several poems, which are printed in a miscellaneous collection published by Richard Savage in 1726 (fn. 73) .
James Mac Ardell.
"James Mac Ardell, buried June 5, 1765." A celebrated
engraver in mezzotinto. He lies buried in the church-yard, where
is a short inscription to his memory, by which we learn that he
was a native of Ireland, and that he died in his 37th year.
"Charles Spooner, from London, buried Dec. 6, 1767." An
eminent engraver also in mezzotinto, who had been a fellow-pupil
with Mac Ardell, and desired to be buried near him in Hampstead
"Henry Barnes, buried Jan. 20, 1773." Secondary of the
Court of Common Pleas. He published Notes of Cases of Practice,
in two volumes.
Sir William Duncan.
"Sir Willian Duncan, buried Jan. 14, 1775." One of his
Majesty's physicians; he was created a baronet in 1764, the year
preceding which he married Lady Mary, daughter of Sackville Earl
Instances of longevity.
The following instances of longevity occur in the parish register:
Richard Smith of West-End, aged 100 years, buried Dec. 5,
1684; Elizabeth Kidd of Hampstead, aged 105 years, buried
July 24, 1685; Margaret Smith of Hampstead, aged near 100
years, buried March 12, 1687–8; Eleanor Winbush, buried
August 1, 1744, aged 104; Susanna Horder, aged 107 years,
who died at West-End, was buried March 13, 1754, N. S."
Jane Staples, who was buried Mar. 9, 1787, is said to have been
106 years of age (fn. 74) . I find mention also of the following persons,
who are said to have died in Hampstead at very advanced ages, but
their names do not occur in the register:—Mrs. Harrison, aged 104,
Aug. 1733; George Best, aged 96, Oct. 10, 1740; Mrs. Robson,
aged 96, July 20, 1764; Benjamin Hemmings, aged 94, July 29,
1764; Mrs. Elizabeth Rayson, aged 90, Aug. 15, 1764; Jonathan
Lacey, aged 98, May 1768; George Eccleston, aged 103, Sept. 23,
1768; John Brighten, Esq. aged 97, Mar. 30, 1771; and Mrs.
Foa, aged 110, Dec. 1781.
Benefactions, Education, and apprenticing of children.
John Stock, Esq. in the year 1781, gave the sum of 1000l.
(which, with the dividends that had accrued, and some donations
from the trustees, purchased 2000l. three per cents.) for the purpose of clothing, educating, and putting out apprentices, six fatherless boys, and four girls, the former to receive 5l. as an apprenticefee, the latter 2l. Eight boys and six girls now receive the benefits
of this charity.
A Sunday-school was established in this parish about the year
1790, in which are 80 children. The encouragement which the
institution has met with, has enabled the subscribers to set up a
daily-school, and school of industry, in which are 30 boys and 34
girls, clothed by their own earnings.
Elizabeth, dowager Viscountess Campden, anno 1643, left the
sum of 200l. to purchase lands; half the produce to be appropriated to the apprenticing children, the other half to be distributed
among the poor of the parish. With this money was purchased an
estate at Child's-hill, in Hendon, now let at 59l. per ann.
The Hon. Susanna Noel, and her son Baptist, Earl of Gainsborough, a minor, in the year 1698, gave the site of Hampsteadwells, with certain houses adjoining, and six acres of the Heath, the
whole producing now 85l. per ann. for the use of the parish. The
income arising from this charity is appropriated by the trustees to the
apprenticing of poor children, or clothing them for service, and occasionally relieving aged and infirm parishioners not receiving alms.
Halfpenny-loaves on Good Friday.
This parish enjoys a singular benefaction of 2l. per ann. given
for the purpose of distributing halfpenny loaves among all the
inhabitants of Hampstead, both rich and poor, young and old, on
Good-Friday morning. It arises from the sum of 40l. given for that
purpose about the year 1643, by an unknown benefactress, and laid
out, together with Lady Campden's donation, in the purchase of
lands at Child's-hill.
Thomas Charles, anno 1671, gave an annual rent-charge of
1l. 4s. to be distributed in bread to the poor; Thomas Cleave,
anno 1635, a rent-charge of 2l. 16s. for the same purpose. John
Rixton, Esq. in 1657, gave a rent-charge of 5l. per ann., of
which 2l. 12s. was for bread, 1l. for a sermon, 1l. for repairing the north-west end of the church, and 8s. for cleaning his
tomb. The parish now receives 7l. 10s. for this benefaction out
of certain houses in Hampstead. Mrs. Anne Mallory, anno 1791,
gave the sum of 100l. for bread, which was laid out in the purchase of 117l. 2s. 7d. 3 per cent. consol.
Mrs. Elizabeth Shooter gave some lands at Langley in Buckinghamshire, which let at 5l. per ann. for two poor widows, to be
nominated by the minister.
For the poor.
John Robinson, Bishop of London, happening to die at Hampstead, anno 1723, this place became entitled to the sum of 100l.
which he had bequeathed to the poor of the parish in which he
should be resident at the time of his decease. Henry Waite, who
died in 1723, left the sum of 200l., one half of which was to be
appropriated towards the rebuilding of Hampstead church, whenever that work should take place (the interest, in the mean time,
to be given to the poor); and the interest of the other half to be
annually distributed among the poor on the day of his burial.
The donor's effects proving insufficient to pay his legacies, only
109l. 3s. 8d. was received for both bequests; for a moiety
of which the parish enjoys 4l. per cent. interest, charged on
the pews. Bishop Robinson's legacy also having been lent to the
trustees for rebuilding the church, is paid in the form of a rentcharge of 4l. per ann. upon the pews. Francis Marshall, Esq. in
1772, gave 100l. 3 per cent. consol. to be distributed among poor
housekeepers on Easter-day. Mrs. Rosamond Marshall, in 1785,
gave also 100l. 3 per cent. for the same purpose.