Norden derives the name of this place, which in ancient
records is written Heanduneand Handone, from Higbendune,
"which," says he, "signifieth Highwood, of the plentie of wood
"there growing on the hills (fn. 1) ." This etymology is not perfectly
correct; upon consulting the Saxon dictionaries, Heandunewill be
found to mean rather the high down or hill (fn. 2) .
The village of Hendon is dispersed over a considerable tract of
ground, and consists of several detached clusters of houses, known
by the names of Church-end, Brent-street, Lawrence-street, Pagestreet, Dole-street; Burrows, Dallis, the Hyde, Mill-hill, Highwood-hill, Child's-hill, Hocomb-hill, Goldhurst or Golder's-green, and
Golder's-hill. Church-end, being a small cluster of houses near the
church, is about seven miles from London.
Boundaries and extent.
This parish, which lies in the hundred of Goare, is seven miles in
length from north to south, and from two to four in breadth; it is
bounded by Hampstead, Finchley, Edgware, Kingsbury, and Wilsdon, in Middlesex, and by Barnet, Totteridge, and Shenley, in
Hertfordshire. It contains 8204 acres of land, of which about
300 are arable, about 120 woodland, the remainder pasture and
meadow. The soil is for the most part clay, with a mixture of
gravel. The quota paid to the land-tax is 1670l. 15s. 2d. which,
in the year 1794, was at the rate of 1s. 11d. in the pound.
We are told by Dart, that Offa, King of the Mercians, gave Blekingham or Bleccenham, in Middlesex, to Westminster-abbey (fn. 3) ; that
Archbishop Dunstan gave them Loyerlege or Loyersley, which he
had bought of King Edgar, six houses, bought also of the King
at that place, and five in Bleccenham; and that he afterwards gave
them the manor of Heandune, in which, or at least to which appertaining, were the former donations of Blekingham and Loyersley,
and a farm called Cowenlaw (fn. 4) . King Edward by his charter confirmed to the church of Westminster 20 hides of land in Heandune.
This charter is the earliest record mentioned by Dugdale (fn. 5) ; indeed
the authority of the more ancient charters, from which Dart collected his information, has been much suspected (fn. 6) . In the Conqueror's survey the manor of Handone is said to have been taxed
at 20 hides. The land was of 16 carucates; 10 hides were in demesne, on which were three ploughs. The villans employed eight
ploughs, and might find work for five more. The priest had a
virgate of land; three villans each half a hide, and seven villans
each one virgate; 16 villans half a virgate each, and 12 bordars
half a hide jointly. There were six cottars, and one slave: meadow
equal to two oxgangs; pannage for a thousand hogs, and 10s.
rents: in the whole valued at 81.; in King Edward's time at 12l.
This manor, adds the record, was and is part of the demesnes of
the church of St. Peter.
Gervase de Blois, Abbot of Westminster, a natural son of King
Stephen, who is accused of having alienated many of the possessions
of his church, granted the manor of Hendon to Gilbert, the son of
Gunter, subject to a rent of 40l. per ann. (fn. 7) . The manor continued
in lay hands till the year 1312, when Richard le Rous, who held it
under the abbot and convent of Westminster (fn. 8) , gave it to the monastery in exchange for that of Hodford in the same parish. The
manor being thus recovered, continued in the possession of this
convent till its dissolution, when it was seized by the crown and
made part of the endowment of the short-lived bishopric of Westminster. Bishop Thirlby in 1550 surrendered it to King Edward (fn. 9) ,
who granted it the same year to Sir William Herbert (fn. 10) . It continued in a younger branch of his family (fn. 11) till the year 1757,
when it was aliened by Henry Arthur, Earl of Powis, (who inherited this and other estates of the last Marquis of Powis,) to Mr.
Clutterbuck, in trust for the celebrated David Garrick (fn. 12) , then patentee of Drury-lane theatre. It was purchased of Mr. Garrick's
devisees in the year 1790 by John Bond, Esq. the present proprietor.
When Cardinal Wolsey, after losing the favour of his sovereign,
set out on his journey towards Yorkshire, he lodged the first night
at the Abbot of Westminster's place at Hendon (fn. 13) . Hendon-house,
says Norden, "the manor-house of Hendon, SrEdward Herbert's,
"Knt, where nowe is often resident SrJohn Fortescue, Knt
(fn. 14) ,
one hir Majesties most honourable privie counsell, when he
taketh the ayre in the country (fn. 15) ." The family of Nicoll were
described as of Hendon-place during the greater part of the
last century. Perhaps they also were tenants under the Herberts.
It was purchased, about the middle of the present century, by Thomas Snow, Esq. and is now the property of George Snow, Esq. of
Langton in Dorsetshire. The present occupier is George Peters,
Esq. before whose time it had been successively in the tenure of the
Earl of Northampton and Mr. Aislabie. The old mansion was
pulled down by Mr. Snow. There was formerly a very remarkable cedar-tree at this place, which was blown down by the high
wind on the 1st of January 1779. Sir John Cullum gives its dimensions thus: the height 70 feet; diameter of the horizontal extent
of its branches, 100 feet; circumference of the trunk at 7 feet from
the ground, 16 feet; at 12 feet from the ground, 20 feet; the limbs
from 6 to 12 feet in girth. He adds, that the gardener, two years
before it was blown down, made 50l. of the cones (fn. 16) .
Manor of Hodford and Cow-house.
In the year 1295, Emma, relict of Nicholas de Lisle, surrendered to the king all those lands in Hendon which came to
her by the grant of Henry de Wilemundele and Mabella his
wife. The king immediately gave them to the monks of Westminster to pray for the soul of Eleanor his late beloved consort (fn. 17) .
In the year 1297, a mandate was issued to the king's officers not
to take any corn in the manor of Hodford, belonging to the church
of Westminster (fn. 18) . As this is the first instance wherein this
manor appears among the property of that church, I think it
probable that it was this estate in Hendon, which they had then
just acquired. The grant of Hodford, in this parish, to Richard
le Rous, by way of exchange, has been mentioned before (fn. 19) . It
soon afterwards, together with the manor of Cow-house, came into
the Scrope family (fn. 20) . Sir Richard le Scrope, of Bolton, gave them
both to Richard the Second (fn. 21) , who, about the year 1398, granted
them again to Westminster-abbey (fn. 22) . They were among the estates
which, upon the dissolution of the monastery, were settled upon
the dean and chapter of Westminster, to which body they still belong.
Manor of Frith and New-Hall.
Richard Rook, in 1366, gave a messuage, two tosts, 646 acres
of arable land, 39 of meadow, 100 of wood, and 47s. 6d. rents,
in Hendon, which he held under their manor, to the abbot
and convent of Westminster. The arable land was valued at only
a penny an acre, being so dry and stony that it could not be tilled
without a great deal of manure (fn. 23) . Perhaps this estate was the
same with the manor of Frith or New-Hall, which manor
having been some time parcel of the possessions of Westminsterabbey, and afterwards of the bishopric of Westminster, was, in
1550, granted to Thomas Thirlby, then Bishop of Norwich, his
heirs and assigns (fn. 24) . It continued for some time in the Thirlby
family, and came by purchase (according to Norden) to Richard
Weeks, Gent (fn. 25) . It was afterwards for several generations in the family of Pecok (fn. 26) , and was purchased in 1720 of the coheirs of Richard
Pecok, Esq. by John Lade, Esq. father of the late Sir John Lade,
Bart. It is now held in dower by Mary, Lady Lade.
Manor of Clitterhouse.
Hugh de la More, in the year 1358, gave a messuage, 200 acres
of arable land, 15 of meadow, 4 of pasture, 61 of wood, 18 of
waste, and 11s. 4d. rents, in Hendon and Stanmore, to the
prior and convent of St. Bartholomew in Smithfield (fn. 27) . In 1446,
William Clere, Henry Frowicke, and others, gave to the same
convent a tost and 120 acres of land in Hendon, which had been
the property of Robert Vynce, Hugh Wynkebourne, and others (fn. 28) .
Some of these lands, including, as I suppose, the last mentioned
grant (fn. 29) , were given after the dissolution of the convent to the hospital founded on its site. This estate, still the property of the
hospital, contains 203 acres, and is called the manor of Clitterhouse,
or Cletherow's farm.
Manor of Renters.
The manor of Renters, which had belonged to the monastery of
St. Bartholomew in Smithfield, was granted, in the year 1543, to
John Williams and Edward North in fee-farm (fn. 30) . In 1548, Sir
John Williams and Anthony Stringer had the King's licence to alien
this manor to Sir Roger Cholmeley, Chief Baron of the Exchequer (fn. 31) , and afterward Lord Chief Justice of the King's Bench,
who left it by will to his clerk and servant Jasper Cholmeley (fn. 32) , in whose family it continued till the year 1682, when it was
aliened by William Cholmeley, Esq. of Tedington, to Jerome Newbolt, Esq. (fn. 33) great grandfather of the Rev. J.M. Newbolt, Prebendary of Winchester, who is the present proprietor.
The priory of St. John of Jerusalem (fn. 34) and Elsynge Spital (fn. 35) had
lands in this parish.
Hugh Cressingham, who died anno 1297, was seised of 240 acres
of arable land and 9 of meadow in Hendon (fn. 36) . In 1337, Roger
Basset had a considerable estate in this parish (fn. 37) . John de Drokensford, who died anno 1341, was seised of 180 acres of land and some
wood, held under the church of Westminster, the reversion of which
belonged to Thomas Bydyk (fn. 38) .
Mansion of the Whichcotes, &c.
At Brent-street, about a quarter of a mile from the church, stands
an old mansion, now the property and residence of John Cornwall, Esq. which was formerly a seat of the Whichcotes, (whose
arms (fn. 39) are in the windows of the drawing-room,) and afterwards
of Sir William Rawlinson, one of the Keepers of the Great Seal.
John Norden, author of the Surveyor's Dialogue, and several
devotional tracts, who lived at Hendon during the greater part of
King James's reign, is with great reason supposed by Wood to be
the same person who published the Account of Middlesex and Hertfordshire (fn. 40) .
Mrs. Porter. Peter Collinson.
Mrs. Porter, the celebrated tragic actress, resided for many years
at Highwood-hill. The late Mr. Peter Collinson, eminent for his
knowledge in natural history, had a house at Mill-hill, where he
planted a botanical garden (fn. 41) , which is still kept up by his son Michael Collínson, Esq. the present proprietor. At Highwood-hill is
a mineral spring of a cathartic quality, which was formerly inclosed
at the expence, as it is said, of Rachael Lady Russel, who had a
villa in the neighbourhood. In some of her letters, which are in
print, she speaks of her residence at Totteridge.
The parish church consists of a double chancel, a nave, and two
aisles, with octagonal pillars and pointed arches. At the west end
is a square embattled tower. On the north wall of the chancel are
the monuments of William Herbert, Lord Powis (fn. 42) , 1655; Judith,
wife of Mr. William Bell (fn. 43) , 1722; and John Crosse, Esq. 1773;
on the south wall that of Charles Mordaunt, Esq. (fn. 44) of the Middle
Temple, 1681: On flat stones are inscriptions to the memory of
Katherine, daughter of William Lord Powis, and wife of Sir James
Palmer, of Dorney Court (date concealed); Nicholas Herne, Esq.
1642; John Niccoll, of Cookes, 1649; William Geere, Esq. 1651;
Daniel Tanner, citizen, 1654; Sir Jeremy Whichcote, Bart. 1677;
and Mr. Robert Etheredge, 1706.
Sir William Rawlinson.
On the north side of the north chancel is the monument of Sir
William Rawlinson, Knt. (fn. 45) , one of the Commissioners of the Great
Seal. His effigies, in white marble, as large as the life, is repre
sented with a flowing peruke, and the chancellor's robe. Beneath
is the following inscription: "Effigies honoratissimi viri Gulielmi
"Rawlinson militis, servientis ad legem hic infra posita est, qui in
omni re literariâ et jurisprudentiâ insignis ad summum, pro magni
sigilli custodiâ, munus a serenissimis Gulielmo & Mariâ principibus primo regni sui anno (inter alios Commissionarios) ascitus
est. Quo quidem munere cum fide & dignitate defunctus, rerum
forensium pertæsus, vitæ quod superfuit in religionis cultu &
amicorum observantiâ cum leni otio et securitate exegit. Vixit
annos 63, Obiit 11moMaii anno 1703. Sepulchrum quod sibi
testamento decreverat, posteri ejus integrâ fide posuerunt, anno
In the same chancel is the monument of Edward Fowler (fn. 46) ,
Bishop of Gloucester, with the following inscription: "To the
"pious memory of the Right Reverend Edward Fowler, D. D. late
Lord Bishop of Gloucester, to which station he was advanced by
King William, in the year 1691, for his known steadiness to the
true interests of the church of England, and of his country, in
times of danger. He approved himself worthy of that dignity
by a faithful and diligent discharge of his pastoral office, till, disabled by age and bodily infirmities, he rested from his labours,
and was, in the 82d year of his age, admitted to partake of his
reward. He departed this life Aug. 26, 1714, and was interred
in the grave of his first wife within this church, leaving behind
him, in the excellent treatises published by himself, lasting monuments of learning, judgment, piety, and christian temper of
mind. He was twice married; first to Ann, daughter of Arthur
"Barnardiston, of the Inner Temple, Esq. one of the Masters in
Chancery: She departed this life Dec. 19, 1696. He had by
her three sons, Nathaniel, Edward, and Richard; and five daughters, Anne, Anne, Susanna, Elizabeth, and Mary; of which Edward and Richard, Susan and Mary, survived him. His second
wife, who likewise survived him, was Elizabeth, widow of the
Rev. Dr. Hezekiah Burton, and daughter of Ralph Trevor, of
London, merchant (fn. 47) ."
On the south wall of the same chancel is a tablet to the memory
of Mr. John Porter, 1728; Mrs. Sarah Porter, 1734; and Mrs.
Martha Cooke, 1757. On the floor are the tombs of Robert Nuttinge, Esq. 1618, and Mr. John Hall, 1751.
On the wall of the north aisle is the monument of William Nicoll,
Esq. of Hendon-place (fn. 43) , 1644. On the floor near the vestry door
is a brass plate in memory of John Downner and his family; the
dates are not filled up, except for his son John, who died in 1515.
There is the tomb also of Mr. Richard Lane, 1770; and that of
Charles Johnson, Esq. with the following inscription: "Charles
"Johnson, Esq. an honest and an ingenious man; the first epithet
the tenor of his whole life, the second his public writings (fn. 49) testify,
died March the 11th, 1747–8, aged 69 years." On the south
wall of the nave is the monument of John Nicoll, Esq. (fn. 50) 1711.
On the floor are brass plates in memory of John Atte Hevyn,
1416; Peter Goldesburgh, citizen and goldsmith, 1422; and John
Birt, 1467; and the tombs of Mrs. Isabella Roussier, 1788; and
the Hon. Mary Bridget Mostyn, 1789.
In the south aisle are the tombs of Wredenhall Pearce, Esq. of
Shropshire, 1742; Edmund Colmore, LL.D. Fellow of Magdalen
College, Oxford, 1761; and Luke, son of Luke Robinson, Esq.
The font is of Norman architecture, square and capacious; the
sides are ornamented with circular arches intersecting each other.
It has been engraved for the Gentleman's Magazine (fn. 50) .
Tombs in the church-yard.
In the church-yard are the tombs of Thomas Marsh (fn. 51) of Whites,
1626; John Marsh, his great-grandson, citizen and haberdasher, 1728;
William Marsh, 1784; Randall Niccoll (fn. 52) , 1665; Randall Niccoll, 1767;
John Niccoll, Esq. of the Middle Temple, 1782; Thomas Marsh, 1685;
Thomas Marsh, of Brent-street, 1745, &c.; Rev. Samuel Nalton (fn. 53) ,
S.T.B.Fellow of Mag.Coll. Oxford, Curate of Hampstead, and Rector of
Haversham, Bucks, 1706; Christopher Younge, Gent. 1708; Edward
Fowler, Esq. who married Mary, daughter of John Chadwick, Esq. by
his wife Mary, daughter and sole heir of Archbishop Tillotson, 1720;
Joseph Ayloffe (fn. 54) , Esq. of Gray's Inn, 1726; Joseph Ayloffe, only
son of Sir Joseph, 1756; Sir Joseph Ayloffe, Bart. (fn. 55) , 1781; John
Jones, Esq. 1726; Benjamin Jones, Esq. 1740, &c.; Rebecca, wi
dow of Robert Crowther, Gent. 1728; William Gaskarth, Gent.
of the Inner Temple, 1735; Edward Fenwick, Esq. 1737; John
Bell, Gent. 1737; George Wharton, M. D. 1738; Susan, wife of
Charles Frye, Esq. 1739; John Nicoll, Esq. 1745; John Nicoll,
Esq. 1753; Mary, wife of John Nicoll, Esq. and daughter of Henry
Felton, D. D. 1764; Mary, daughter of John Nicoll, Esq. and wife
of John Ingram, Esq. 1751; Mr. John Cooper, 1745; Barbara,
wife of Ralph Bourchier, M. D. 1749; Henry Joynes, Esq. (conductor and controller of building Blenheim-house from 1705 to
1715, and surveyor of Kensington Palace and Gardens from 1715
till his death,) 1754; John Badcock, Esq. 1756; John Lucas, Esq.
1761; John Eaton, Esq. of Hendon-place, 1762; Capt. William
Higginson, 1763; John Haley (fn. 56) , Esq. of Mill-hill, 1763; Diana, his
only daughter, wife of John Brasier, 1768; Mr. John Haley, 1769;
Mr. Thomas Franklin, of Highwood-hill, 1764; John Woodley,
Esq. 1767; Peter Grace, apothecary, 1768; Anne, wife of Mr.
Peter Hamond, Gent. 1769; Judith, relict of Col. Robinson Sowle,
1769; James Parsons, M. D. (fn. 57) 1770; Stephen Simpson, schoolmaster, 1770; Mr. John Crooke, 1770; Benjamin Wellington, Esq.
1770; Thomas Nicoll, Esq. of Neasdon, 1772; Thomas Nicoll,
jun. Esq. 1772; Joseph Nicoll, Esq. 1773; William Earl, M. A.
vicar, 1772; Conquest James, Esq. 1773; Mr. John Bennet,
1777; George Garrick, Esq. 1779; William Dutton, Esq. 1779;
Sophia, wife of Thomas Barnard, Esq. 1780; Nathaniel Hone,
Esq. R. A. 1784; Gilbert Slater, of Stepney, 1785; Charles Colmore, Esq. jun. of the 10th regiment of light dragoons, son of
Charles Colmore, Esq. of Birmingham, 1785; Carrington Garrick,
M. A. vicar, 1787; Charles Deane, Esq. of Whitehaven, in the
East India service, 1787; John Kemp, Esq. 1788; Mrs. Sarah
Cookson, 1789; Benjamin Mahew, apothecary, 1789; Jane, wife
of John Whishaw, Esq. 1790; Charles Simpkins, Esq. 1792; Sophia, wife of the Rev. Herbert Croft, and co-heir of Richard Cleeve,
Esq. 1792; Mary, wife of Robert Newall, Esq. 1793; and Mr.
Richard Johnson, 1793. "He possessed," says his epitaph, "a good
"and generous mind, was much beloved, as well as being admired
for his moral principles in literature."
Rectory and vicarage.
The church of Hendon, which is dedicated to the Virgin Mary,
had formerly a rectory and a vicarage. The rectory was a sinecure (fn. 57) .
In 1258, Richard de Crokesley, abbot of Westminster, resigned it
to Fulk Basset, Bishop of London, reserving the right of patronage, and an annual pension of two marks, the rectory being then
valued at 30 marks (fn. 58) . In 1477, the church of Hendon was appropriated to the abbot and convent of Westminster (fn. 59) , from which time
they had the patronage of the vicarage (fn. 60) . The rectory and advowson were granted with the manor to the Herberts, and continued for
several generations in their family. The advowson is still held with
the manor, but the great tithes are divided amongst several proprietors.
In 1650, it was reported to the commissioners appointed to inquire
into the state of ecclesiastical benefices, that the parsonage of Hendon
(worth about 190 l. per ann.) lately belonged to Sir Percy Herbert,
a recusant convict; that the vicarage, with the house, &c. was worth
about 55 l.; and that Francis Wareham, an able minister put in by
the parliament, was the incumbent, to whom an augmentation of
37 l. per ann. had been granted by the committees (fn. 61) . The endowment of the vicarage is among the records of the church of Westminster (fn. 62) . It comprehends all the small tithes subject to some particular usages, as appears by an account drawn up by Meshach Smith
the vicar in 1705 (fn. 63) . Mr. Smith observes, that the profits of the
vicarage depended principally upon the lambs. When the rectory
was seized into the king's hands, in consequence of the Marquis of
Powis's attainder, a patent passed the great seal for charging it with
an annuity of 100 l. per annum, to be paid out of the great tithes for
ever, as an augmentation of the vicarage (fn. 64) ; but the grant became
null, for the reason before mentioned in the account of the manor (fn. 65) .
The present vicar is Jeffrey Snelson, M. A. who in 1787 succeeded
Carrington Garrick, M. A. nephew of David Garrick, Esq.
The earliest date of the parish register is 1653.
Comparative state of population.
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
The population of this parish appears to have been nearly the same
a century ago as it is now. The number of burials varies according
to the number of strangers interred, which in some years is very considerable. The present number of houses is 240: in 1665 there were
only 40 burials; which affords a presumption that this parish escaped
the effects of the fatal plague that year.
Extracts from the Parish Register.
Family of Herbert, Baron and Marquis of Powis.
"William Herbert, Lord of Powesse, was buried the 21 day of
June 1656." Eldest son of Sir Edward Herbert, and grandson of
William Earl of Pembroke. He was created Baron Powis in 1629.
"My Lord Powes sister" (meaning, I suppose, Katherine, sister of
Percy Herbert, then Lord Powis, and wife of Sir James Palmer
of Dorney Court, Bucks) "was buried the 4th day of June, 1666."
"Elizabeth, daughter of William Ld. Montgomery, was buried
Dec. 7, 1692—Honora, Apl 2, 1707. The Duchess of Powis,
Jan. 11, 1723–4." Daughter of Sir Thomas Preston, Bart. and
wife of William Marquis of Powis, who was created a Duke by
James II. after his abdication. The title, consequently, was never
enjoyed by his son, to whom the other honours forfeited by his
father were restored. "Ld. Edward Herbert, buried Nov. 30,
1734." Son of the first Marquis of Powis. He left one daughter, married to Henry Arthur, the first Earl of Powis, of the present branch. "William Herbert, Marquis of Powis, buried Oct. 28,
1745." Elder brother of Lord Edward, restored to his father's
honours in 1722. "William Herbert, Marquis of Powis, buried
Mar. 15, 1747–8." Son of the last-mentioned peer; at his death
the title became extinct. "Lady Anne Carrington, buried May
16, 1748." Daughter of the first Marquis of Powis, and wife
of Francis Viscount Carrington of the kingdom of Ireland. "Lady
Charlotte Williams, buried Dec. 16, 1751." Daughter of the
second Marquis, and wife first of Edward Maurice, Esq. and afterwards of Edward Williams, Esq. (fn. 66)
Family of Whichcote, Bart.
Sir Jeremy Whichcote.
"Benjamin, the son of Jeremiah Whichcote, Bart. was buried
the 13 of October, 1664." He died unmarried. "Richard Ofborne, Esq. and MrsElizabeth Whichcote, (daughter of SrJeremy,) married May 4, 1676. SrJeremy Whichcote, Baronet,
was buried July 5, 1677." Sir Jeremy was descended from an
ancient family in Lincolnshire; he was a barrister at law, and
Solicitor-general to the Elector Palatine. During the exile of
Charles II. he purchased the wardenship of the Fleet for the pur
pose of sheltering the King's agents: for this and other services he
was created a Baronet in 1660 (fn. 67) . He died at the age of 63, being
succeeded in the title by his eldest son. Lady Whichcote (relict, as
I suppose, of Sir Jeremy) was buried Aug. 28, 1714. Anna Maria,
daughter of Sir Paul Whichcote, was baptized at Hendon Jan. 8,
1685; Elizabeth, Feb. 12, 1689; another Elizabeth, Mar. 27, 1690.
Jeremiah Whichcote, Esq. son of Sir Paul, was buried Nov. 8, 1679.
Jeremiah, second son of Sir Paul, March 23, 1683; Paul, Mar. 11,
1691; Jane Lady Whichcote, wife of Sir Paul, Feb. 2, 1698;
Elizabeth, his daughter, July 23, 1701; Sir Paul Whichcote,
Dec. 23, 1721; Henry, son of Mr. Henry Whichcote, of Finchley,
March 10, 1686; Paul, June 8, 1690. Mr. Matthew Whichcote,
Gent. Feb. 24, 1700. Paulina Whichcote, of Ganford (Greenford),
June 20, 1726.
"Mrs. Anne Fowler, wife to the Right Rev. Edward L Bishop
of Gloucester, buried Dec. 24, 1696. Edward LdBishop of
Gloucester, Sep. 1, 1714." Dr. Fowler was promoted from a
prebendal stall to the bishopric of Gloucester in 1691. He was a
man of considerable learning, author of a treatise called The Design of Christianity, some other theological and controversial tracts,
and numerous single sermons (fn. 68) . He died at his house in Chelsea,
in the 82d year of his age (fn. 69) . There is a good portrait of him in
mezzotinto by Smith.
Sir Richard Hoare.
"Sr Edward Littleton and Madam Hoare were married July
10, 1718." Sir Edward was great uncle to the present Baronet
of that name. Madam Hoare was only daughter of Sir Richard
Hoare, Knight, some time Lord Mayor and M. P. for the city of
London, who died at his seat at Hendon Jan. 10, 1719 (fn. 70) .
"John Goodricke, Esq. (fn. 71) and Mary Benson, married Sep. 28,
"John, son of John Vaughan, (ut asseritur LdLisbon,) and Dorothy his wife, baptized Mar. 4, 1735." This John, whose baptism is thus strangely entered, was son of the second Viscount Lisburne by Dorothy, daughter of Richard Hill, Esq. He died in his
"The Lady Bellew, buried May 16, 1735;—the Hon. Edward
Bellew, Sep. 1, 1735."
"Lady Caroline Mordaunt, buried July 21, 1736."
"Sr Conrad Sprengell, buried March 20, 1740."
"Charles Johnson, buried Mar. 18, 1748 (fn. 72) ." A dramatic writer
of considerable eminence in the early part of this century. Enjoying
the friendship of the manager, and, for the most part, the public
favour, the profits he received from the theatre were sufficient to
enable him to live genteelly, and devote himself to his favourite
employment—writing for the stage. A list of his numerous dramas
may be seen in the Biographia Dramatica. His comedy of the
Country Lasses has continued on the list of acting plays. It has
lately been altered by Mr. Kemble, and brought out as a farce,
under the title of "the Farm-house."
Dr. James Parsons.
"James Parsons, M. D. buried Ap. 21, 1770." An eminent
physician, born at Barnstaple in Devonshire anno 1705. He was
for many years assistant-secretary (for foreign correspondence) to the
Royal Society, and a frequent contributor to the Philosophical Transactions, chiefly on the subject of natural history. He published also
some separate treatises in that science, and a work called "the Remains of Japhet, or Historical Inquiries into the Affinity and Origin
of the European Languages." He died at his house in London on
the 4th of April, but was not interred till the 21st, it having been
his particular request that his corpse might be kept unburied till some
change appeared (fn. 73) . On his tomb in the church-yard at Hendon is
the following inscription: "Here (taken from his sorrowing family
"and friends by the common lot of frail mortality) rests James
Parsons, D.M. F.R.S. and S. of A. M.C.P. a man in whom the
most dignifying virtues were united with talents the most numerous and rare: firm and erect in conscious conviction, no consideration could move him to desert truth, or acquiesce to her opponents. Physic, anatomy, natural history, antiquities, languages, and
the fine arts are largely indebted to his skill and industry in each,
for many important truths discovered in their support, or errors
detected with which they were obscured; yet, though happy beyond the general race of mankind in mental endowments, the
sincere christian, the affectionate husband, the generous and humane friend were in him superior to the sage, the scholar, and
the philosopher. Obiit Ap14th, 1770, in the 66th year of his
age." Mrs. Parsons, his widow, died in 1786, aged 86.
Edward Longmore, a giant.
"Edward Longmore, a giant, buried Feb. 4, 1777." This man,
who had been exhibited for several years as the Herefordshire Colossus, measured, it is said, seven feet six inches in his coffin (fn. 74) . A
newspaper paragraph asserts that his corpse was stolen about six
weeks after its interment, notwithstanding it was buried in a grave
fifteen feet deep, which had been watched till nearly the time of the
robbery (fn. 75) .
Sir Joseph Ayloffe.
"Joseph Ayloffe, buried May 1, 1781." Sir Joseph Ayloffe,
whose title is here omitted, was descended from an ancient family in
Essex. His ancestor Sir William Ayloffe, Knt. was created a baronet in 1612. Sir Joseph was eminent for his extensive knowledge
of the antiquities of this country. He was one of the earliest and
most valuable members of the Society of Antiquaries, formed a part
of the first council, and was for many years a vice-president. He
contributed several papers to the Archæologia, published a calendar
of ancient charters in the Tower, (accompanied with a learned account of our public records,) and superintended the new edition of
Leland's Collectanea, and the Liber Niger Scaccarii. Sir Joseph
Ayloffe was one of the keepers of the state-papers, and held some
other public offices (fn. 76) . His only son Joseph was buried at Hendon
in 1756, aged 21. The following inscription is upon a monument
in the church-yard: "M. S. Dom. Josephi Ayloffe, Baronetti, ex
"antiquo stemmate in Com. Essexiæ oriundi; in re antiquariâ, in
rebus historicis, in literis promovendis necnon in naturâ investigandâ celebris erat; sed præcipuè in morum suavitate, mentis largitione & animæ blanditiâ, nulli fuit secundus. Obiit 19 die
April. Ann. Dom. 1781, ætatis suæ 72. Hanc tabulam Margaretta, Domina Ayloffe dotaria, amicisdeflentibus circumdata mœrens
"Nathaniel Hone, buried August 20, 1784." An artist of some
eminence, who excelled chiefly in miniature painting and enamel.
In the latter part of his life he painted portraits in oil. Mr. Hone
was a Royal Academician, and Member of the Academy of Arts in
Florence. He died in the 67th year of his age. His children, Sophia,
Samuel, Apelles, Floreth, and Lydia, lie buried in the same tomb.
"The Honble Mary Bridget Mostyn, buried July 14, 1789, aged
75." Aunt to the present Sir Roger Mostyn, and some time maid
of honour to the Princess Dowager of Wales.
Instances of Longevity.
"Eleanor White, aged 103, buried June 19, 1781."
"John Kemp, aged 91, from Newington, buried Mar. 27, 1788."
"Elizabeth Harrison, aged 90, buried June 21, 1788."
"Eleanor Kemp, aged 90, buried April 23, 1791."
Mrs. Wentworth, relict of General Wentworth, died at Mill-Hill
in this parish, in September 1788, at the age of 92.
In the year 1681, Robert Daniel bequeathed the sum of 2000 l.
to purchase lands for the purpose of building an alms-house within
12 miles of London, for the support of six poor men and four
women. The produce of the estates for the first ten years was to
be appropriated to building the house, and establishing a fund for
repairs. The pensioners were to be 50 years of age at the least; to
be allowed 3s. each weekly, a loaf and a shilling at Christmas, and
to be clothed; their uniform, grey cloth lined with orange: Four of
the men and two of the women to be elected from among the
donor's nearest of kin: "The ablest, wisest, strongest, and most
"learned of the men" to read prayers every morning and evening.
A freehold estate in Oxfordshire was purchased with the money;
and by a decree in Chancery, anno 1727, the house was ordered to
be built at Hendon, the sum of 400 l. being allowed for that purpose. The estate, which is under the management of trustees, as
appointed by the above-mentioned decree, now produces 86l. per
In 1724 there were two charity-schools at Hendon, in which
20 boys and 10 girls were clothed and taught (fn. 77) . The present
school-house was built in 1767, on the waste adjoining to the
alms-house, at the expence of Mr. John Bennet; who, by his will
dated 1777, bequeathed towards its support the sum of 100 l. John
Crosse, Esq. in 1772, left to this parish the sum of 250 l.; a part of
the interest of which (viz. 7 l. 10s.) was to be appropriated to the
charity-school; the remainder to the purchasing certain copies of
the Whole Duty of Man, to the intent that one might be presented
to every couple married in Hendon church. Richard Freelove,
Gent. in 1775, left 100l. to the charity-school. There are now
70 children in the school; 40 of whom are clothed; half of them
from the fund, and the remainder by the bounty of individuals by
whom they are nominated. There are 60 children also in a Sunday
school; 30 of whom, being girls, are clothed at the sole expence of
Benefactions to the poor.
Mrs. Elizabeth Parsons, in 1751, left the sum of 100l., and her
sister Martha the same sum, for the purpose of keeping in repair
their family vault: the interest, when not wanted for that purpose,
to be given to poor persons not receiving alms. These legacies have
been vested in the purchase of 3 per cent. Bank Annuities. Mr.
Thomas Willis, with less regard to the poor, bequeathed recently
the sum of 2s. 6d. per annum, being half the interest of 5 l., for
the purpose of keeping his tomb clean; the remainder for a bottle
of wine to the rector's warden, for seeing that it is done.
It appears by an entry in the parish register, that the churchwardens of Watford in Hertfordshire are obliged to pay a noble per
annum towards the repairs of the foot-bridge in the highway opposite Clitterhouse-lane.