Quantity of land, and how occupied.
This place, called in old writings, Hese; lies in the hundred
of Ruxley, twelve miles from London, and two from Bromley. The parish is bounded by Bromley on the north and east; by
Keston on the south-east; West-Wickham on the south and southwest; and Beckenham on the north. It contains about 1000 acres
of cultivated land; which are divided nearly in an equal proportion
between arable and pasture. The latter has been for some years
past gradually increasing. There are between 200 and 300 acres of
waste. The soil in this parish is various; clay and gravel abound
most; there is a considerable portion also of sand and loam.
The parish of Hayes pays the sum of 81l. to the land-tax; which
is at the rate of about 1s. 3d. in the pound.
Hayes lies partly within the manor of West Wickham, and partly
within that of Orpington (fn. 1) .
Manor of Baston.
The manor or manor-farm of Baston, in this parish, was formerly
the property of the Squeries. It was sold by Richard Mervin, Esq.
(who had married the heir of that family) to the Scroops, and
passed, as is supposed, with the neighbouring manor of West-Wickham to the Lennards (fn. 2) . In 1723, Robert Thorpe sold his moiety of
his manor to John Wood, in whom the other moiety was then
vested. Richard and Anthony Wood, being coheirs in gavelkind,
aliened it in 1762 to John Luxford, Esq., of whom it was purchased
in 1795, by James Randell, jun. Esq. the present proprietor (fn. 3) .
Manor of Pickhurst or Heaver.
The manor, or reputed manor, of Pickhurst or Heaver, was in
1693, the property of Matthias Wallraven, whose grandson Peter,
in 1757, aliened it to William Cowley. It was purchased of the
latter in 1765, by Mariabella Eliot, sister of Mr. J. Eliot, the present proprietor (fn. 4) . The mansion belonging to this estate is in the
tenure of John Bowdler, Esq.
Hayes-place the residence of the late Earl of Chatham, now the seat of Lord Lewisham.
Hayes-place (near the church) was formerly the seat of the
Scotts. In 1698, Stephen Scott, Esq. aliened it to John Harrison,
of whom it was purchased in 1757, by the Right Hon. William Pitt,
(afterwards Earl of Chatham (fn. 5) ,) who built the present mansion. When
he became possessed of Burton Pynsent, he sold this place, in 1766,
to the Hon. Thomas Walpole, who cased the house with white brick,
and otherwise much improved it. Lord Chatham being afterward
very desirous of returning to Hayes, Mr. Walpole was prevailed
upon to gratify him, and it was accordingly re-conveyed to his
Lordship in 1768. Here, after his retirement from public affairs,
this great statesman spent much of the evening of his days amusing
himself with improving, from time to time, his favourite residence.
After his death, Hayes-place was sold by the Countess Dowager and
the present Earl of Chatham, (anno 1785,) to James Bond, Esq.
(now Sir James Bond,) of whom it was purchased, in 1789, by the
Right Hon. George Viscount Lewisham, who is the present proprietor (fn. 4) . His Lordship (who is President of the Naturalists' Society)
has a good collection of exotics at this place, and has been particularly successful in the culture of Botany-Bay plants.
The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small building, (of
flint and stone,) consisting of a chancel and nave. At the west end
is as an embattled tower, on which is a very low spire.
On the north wall of the chancel is a monument in memory of
William Cleaver (fn. 5) , merchant, 1737; William Fenton, Esq. 1753;
and Anne, his wife, (daughter of William Cleaver,) 1782. On
the south wall are memorials for Charles Yarwood, 1741; Mr. John
Hinton, 1781; and Sarah, his relict, (afterwards married to S. A.
Cumberlege,) 1784. On the floor are the tombs of John Osteler and
Sir John Andrew (fn. 6) , rectors of Hayes about the latter end of the
fifteenth century (fn. 7) ; John Heygge, rector, 1523; John Hoare,
rector, (a brass plate, with a figure of the deceased,) 1584; Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Bradgate, merchant, daughter of Sir Stephen
Scott, 1655; Sir Stephen Scott, Knt. (fn. 8) , Gentleman Pensioner to
Charles I. (son of John Scott, Esq. of Halden), 1658; Anne, daughter of Sir Stephen, wife of William Reeve of Fair-lee in the Isle of
Wight, 1661; John Scott, Esq. (fn. 9) , Gentleman of the Privy Chamber, (son and heir of Sir Stephen,) 1670; and Mr. John Walwyn,
(brother of Thomas Walwyn, then rector,) 1738.
The banners borne at the public funeral of the late Earl of Chatham are in this church.
In the Registrum Roffense (fn. 10) , mention is made of the tombs of
Robert Garret, rector, 1560, and Sir Edmund Scott, 1597.
In the churchyard are the tombs of Jonathan Delver, merchant,
1786; the Rev. Wharton Partridge, M. A. 1794, &c.
Hayes is a rectory in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Archbishop
of Canterbury, and in the deanery of Shoreham. The patronage
has been from time immemorial vested in the rectors of Orpington, to
whom the rectors of this parish pay an annual pension of 163. 8d. (fn. 11)
In 1287, this rectory was rated at 10 marks (fn. 12) . In 1650, it was
valued at 40l. being stated to have 16 acres of glebe (fn. 13) . It is a discharged living in the King's books of the clear certified value of 49l.
Robert Davidson, rector of this parish, in 1707, published a
thanksgiving sermon upon the Union.
The present rector is John Till, LL.B. instituted in 1777, on the
death of Francis Fawkes, M. A.
The register of baptisms, marriages, and burials commences in
Comparative state of population.
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
The present number of houses is 62 (fn. 14) .
In 1603, there were ten burials; in 1625, two; in 1665 none
Extracts from the Parish Register.
"George Cooke, Esq. and Anne, daughter of Sr Timothy Lowe,
married Nov. 27, 1617."
Family of Scott.
"Edmund, son of Stephen Scott, Esq. (afterwards Sr Stephen),
baptized Aug. 17, 1626; John (fn. 15) , Jan. 6, 1627–8, Elizabeth (fn. 16) ,
Mar. 31, 1629; Anne (fn. 17) , Apl 11, 1630; Margaret, Jan. 4,
1631–2; Stephen, buried March 25, 1634; Stephen, baptized
Nov. 15, 1641; Lady Scott (fn. 18) , buried Apl 30, 1667." There are
several other entries relating to the family of Scott.
John (fn. 19) son of the Hon. William and Lady Esther Pitt, born
Oct. 10. baptized Nov. 7. 1756."
Birth of the present Prime Minister.
"William, son of the Hon. William and Lady Esther Pitt, born
May 28, baptized July 3, 1759." The future historian of the
Prime Minister will be glad thus to ascertain that he was born at
Hayes during his father's residence at this place.
"Charles Ld Visct Mahon, (now Earl Stanhope,) and the Rt Hon.
Lady Hester Pitt, married Dec. 19, 1774."
James Bruce (fn. 20) , Esq. of Lincoln's Inn, and Adriana Allen,
married Feb. 3, 1754."
Family of Legge, Lord Lewisham.
"Henrietta, daughter of George Ld Lewisham and Frances, born
Sep. 7, 1790; Barbara Maria, Nov. 29, 1792; Katherine Charlotte, born Apl 2, buried May 15, 1793; Georgina Carolina,
born May 14, 1795."
Mrs. Elizabeth Lloyd, anno 1693, gave a rent-charge of 3l. per
annum for teaching children to read. Mrs. Elizabeth Harrison, in
1738, gave 2l. per annum for the same purpose; and 10s. (fn. 21) . to be
distributed on Good Friday among those who should say their catechism best. A school-house was erected in 1791, and a master and
mistress appointed to teach all the poor children in the parish to read,
and the girls to work: the expence of which, except the aid from
the above-mentioned benefactions, is defrayed by voluntary subscriptions.
Sir Samuel Lennard, Knt. anno 1617, gave 40s. per annum, to
be distributed on the anniversary of the Popish Plot, among such 40
poor persons as shall be present at a sermon to be preached on that
occasion at West Wickham church; ten of the said poor persons to
be of the parish of Hayes.
This parish has about an acre and a half of land given by a benefactor now unknown.