Appendix
Further additions

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Daniel Lysons

Year published

1796

Supporting documents

Pages

661-668

Citation Show another format:

'Appendix: Further additions', The Environs of London: volume 4: Counties of Herts, Essex & Kent (1796), pp. 661-668. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=45499 Date accessed: 24 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

FARTHER ADDITIONS to VOLUME I.

CAMBERWELL.

Grove-hill.

A descriptive account of Dr. Lettsom's house and gardens at Grove-hill, in this parish, has been published in a small pamphlet under the title of "Grove-hill, a Horticultural Sketch." The gardens contain a large and valuable collection of European and American plants. In the house, among other curiosities, are several models, in cork, of ancient buildings, by Dubourg. The pamphlet is embellished with four plates.

P. 581 (of this volume).—Thomas Crimes, or Grimes, is in Bromley's Catalogue called "a poet," but there seems not to be sufficient authority for it. The print which is in Sir William Musgrave's collection contains all that is known of him. Over his head is a laurel wreath with this inscription, Nondum merui, which at most intimates a promise of poetical talents.

CHEAM.

Cheam school.

P. 139.—East Cheam-house, which was devised by Lady Stourton to Lord Petre, and afterwards sold to Philip Antrobus, Esq. has been pulled down, and a new house erected near the road leading from Sutton to Epsom.

P. 564.—The Rev. Mr. Sanxay, mentioned in this page, established a school at Cheam, which has continued more than a century. It was some time since conducted by the Rev. Mr. Gilpin, (author of Lectures on the Church Catechism; some well-known tours; and "Remarks on Forest Scenery,") and now by his son, the Rev. William Gilpin.

P. 583 (of this volume), note32.—The coat quartered by Small is Newnam.

CROYDON.

P. 188.—The greater part of the rectorial tithes have been sold to the land-holders. The remainder, since the death of the late Lord Montagu, is inherited by the Hon. Mrs. Poyntz.

KINGSTON UPON THAMES.

P. 254. 256.—The present annual revenue of the grammarschool is 120l. the revenue of the alms-houses, founded by William Cleave, Esq. for six poor men and six poor women, is 206l. 15s.; which will some time hence be farther augmented by a reversionary benefaction of 1000l. 3 per cent. consol. left by Thomas Tilsley, lately deceased.

The present annual revenue of the bridge is 155l.

Various Benefactions.

Date. Donors' Names. Nature and present yearly Value. Use.
1524. John Price, 1l. (rent-charge), Poor.
1599. Robert Norton, 1l. (rent-charge), Poor.
1608. John Hartop, Esq. 6l. (rent-charge), Bread.
1618. Edward Buckland, 30l. (a wharf at Kingston), To buy coals to be retailed to the poor at a low price.
1624. Henry Smith, 106l. (rent-char. fee-farm rents, and int. of mon.), To employ the poor, apprentice children, &c.
1633. Mark Snelling, 38l. (lands), 6l, in bread, and 6l. in money to poor widows, the remainder in coals to the poor.
1636. King Charles I. 5l. (rent-charge), Poor.
1638. Thomas Tyffin, 41l. 10s. (lands, and interest of money), Education and apprenticing of children.
1739. John Tyffin,
1648. Elizabeth Brown, 48l. (house in Fleet-street), Education of children.
1654. Edward Hurst, Esq. 61. (rent-charge), Poor widows.
1670. John Dolling, 4l. 15s. (land), Poor.
1710. Nicholas Hardinge, 38l. 5s. (fee-farm-rents (fn. 1) ), Education and apprenticing of children.
1717. William Belitha, Esq. 15l. (interest of money), Education of poor girls.
1789. Pet. Huguetan Van Vryhouven Lord Vryhouven, 6l. (interest of money), Poor in the workhouse.
Unkn. The Countess of Dover, 5l. 4s. (rent-charge), Bread.

Most of the above benefactions are under the management of the Corporation.

LAMBETH.

P. 595 (of this volume).—The conjecture in this page is corroborated by Lord Orford's Anecdotes of Painting, vol. iii. p. 71. where it appears that Dr. Tillotson sat to Mrs. Beale in 1672, for Colonel Strangeways. It is more probable therefore that the picture at Lambeth should have been painted about the same time, than that it should have been done twenty years afterwards, when Dr. Tillotson was Archbishop. Knight-hill, the seat of Lord Thurlow, is in this parish.

FARTHER ADDITIONS to VOLUME II.

CHELSEA.

P. 148.—Chelsea-park was purchased of the Duke of Wharton's representatives by the elder brother of Sir Hans Sloane, and is now the property of his grandson Hans Sloane, Esq. M. P. The house has been long pulled down. At the eastern extremity of the park, near Little Chelsea, is a modern house, built, and for a considerable time inhabited, by the late eminent surgeon William Bromfield, Esq. It is now in the occupation of Lady Anne Simpson, as under-tenant to John Groves, Esq. who is lessee under Mr. Sloane.

HAMPSTEAD.

In the British Museum is a rare print, by Hollar, of a hollow tree at Hampstead, measuring 28 feet in girth, having a staircase within it, and a turret on the top. It is not mentioned in Vertue's Catalogue, but (except in the measure of the girth) it exactly resembles the print of a tree at Langley, which is there described.

FARTHER ADDITIONS to VOLUME III.

HORNSEY.

Farther particulars relating to Highgate school.

There is another charter of Queen Elizabeth (fn. 1) , of a date prior to that spoken of in the account of Sir Roger Cholmeley's "free grammar-school" at Highgate, p. 64, 65. By this charter the nomination and appointment of the schoolmaster are, in the first instance, vested in Sir Roger Cholmeley's heirs, and, on their failing to appoint within twomonths, the governors, with the advice and consentof the Bishop of London, are to appoint. Sir Roger Cholmeley's heirs and the governors, jointly, are to make statutes. All the revenues then belonging to the institution, together with all future benefactions, are directed to be appropriated solely to the maintenance of a master, and to the relief of the poor.

The ordinances of 1571 direct that the schoolmaster shall be a graduate of good, fober, and honest conversation, and no light person," and that he shall "teach and instruct young children their A, B, C, and other English books, and to write, and also the grammar as they shall grow up thereto, and that without taking any money or other reward for the same, other than as hereafter is expressed;" that is 4d. (fn. 2) at the admission of each child into the school, and 4d. for books.

The schoolmaster's office also is to read morning and evening prayers, at the chapel, on Sundays, (except on the first Sunday in each month, when the inhabitants are to repair to their respective parish churches,) morning prayers on Wednesdays and Fridays, and evening prayers on Saturdays, and on the vigils of all festivals. He must not serve nor take any cure elsewhere, nor must he be absent above ten days in the year, and that not without urgent cause.

The master's salary was fixed by the said ordinances at 10l. per annum, besides a house rent-free, and kept in repair, a garden, and orchard, two acres of land, then lately inclosed out of Highgate common, and eight loads of fuel out of Hornsey woods (fn. 3) (granted by the Bishop of London).

The master was bound in a penalty of 20l. to observe the abovementioned ordinances; and it was farther provided that if he should infringe them, having been thrice warned by the governors, he should be expelled.

In 1681, the master's salary was 28l.; in 1698, 30l.; in 1762, 100l. (besides 10l. as reader, left by the will of Edward Pauncefort, Esq. in 1748). It has been lately raised again, and the master now receives about 140l. per annum. I have been favoured (fn. 4) with the following account of the lands and monies vested in the Governors of Highgate-school at that period, with their produce.

Lands, Houses, and Rent-charges.

Date. Donors' Names. Description. Value in 1762.
1562. The Founder, Messuages in the parish of St. Martin, Ludgate, and St. Michael, Crooked-lane, 40l. per annum (let at 10l. 13s. 4d. per annum in 1562).
Lands at Highgate, 98l. 10s. per annum.
1580. John Dudley, Esq. A rent-charge on tenements in Stoke Newington, 2l. per annum.
1587. Jasper Cholmeley, Esq. A rent-charge (fn. 5) on the manor of Renters in Hendon, 2l. 6s. 8d. per annum.
1637. William Platt, Esq. A rent-charge on a house at Kentish Town, 10l. per annum.
Money in Funds, &c. Annual amount.
£. s. d.
320l. 3 per cent Bank Annuities, purchased in 1726, with a legacy of 300l. devised by Robert Bootle, Esq. 9 12 0
90l. Old South-Sea Annuities, purchased with 100l. bequeathed by Sir Edward Gould, in 1739, for the preacher, 3 12 0
90l. New South-Sea Securities, purchased with Sir Edward Gould's legacy, for the preacher, 2 14 0
150l. South-Sea Stock, lest by Mrs. Hannah Boise for the six alms-women, 6 0 0
150l. South-Sea Stock, lest by the said Mrs. Boise for the same purpose, 5 5 0
1500l. 3 per cent. Bank Annuities (by a decree in Chancery, in lieu of 60l. per annum lest by Edward Pauncefort, Esq.), 45 0 0
300l. a legacy, of Samuel Foster, Esq. lent on the toll of Whetstone turnpike, at 4 per cent. 12 0 0
100l. New South-Sea Annuities, bought in 1733, 4 0 0
60l. New South-Sea Annuities, bought in 1740, 2 8 0
100l. 3 per cent. Annuities, bought in 1744, 3 0 0
300l. Bank 4 per cent. Annuities, bought in 1747, 12 0 0
400l. 3 per cent. New South-Sea Annuities, purchased with money collected for the charity girls, 12 0 0
300l. 3 per cent. Bank Annuities reduced, purchased with money belonging to the school and chapel, 9 0 0

The balance of the pew and burial money was estimated, in 1702, at 38l. 3s. 4d. per annum, communibus annis.

The chapel.

In a terrier of the school, dated July 11, 1565, the chapel is described as a chapel at Highgate, commonly called Highgate chapel, which seems to imply that it had then been some time built. In the ordinances of 1571, it is spoken of as having been erected by the founder(which must mean Sir Roger Cholmeley), as a chapel of ease for the inhabitants of Highgate. This affords an additional proof that the inscription on the front of the chapel is erroneous.

TEDDINGTON.

P. 511.—The ancient parish register has been lately found. The entries of baptisms begin in 1558, and continue till 1681; the burials begin in 1555, and are continued till 1680; the marriages begin in 1560, and are continued till 1676. The only entries of note are the following:

"William Cecil, son to the RtHon. the Earle of Salisbury, was married to Elizabeth Lawley, daughter to the Lady Lawley, Aug. 16, 1649."

"The Rite onnered Lord Bridgman (fn. 3) was bured the 3dof July 1674."

Thomas Traherne, the curate, mentioned in p. 508, 509, was buried at Teddington on the 10th of October 1674. Anthony Wood's date of his death, therefore, must be erroneous.

The manor of Bellingham held by the convent of Stratford Langthorne, under the monks of Canterbury, (fee p. 247 of this Volume, in the note,) was Billinghamin Lewisham. In the bailiffs' accounts, after the dissolution of the said convent, it is called the manor of Lewisham, (see p. 246, note,) which led me to suppose that Billingbam, not being there mentioned, had been alienated at an earlier period.

Footnotes

1 Issuing out of the manors of Lechlade and Blechden in Gloucestershire.
1 Pat. 7 Eliz. pt. 7. Jan. 29.
2 This was, in 1712, increased to 12d.
3 In 1712, this had been long discontinued.
4 By the Rev. Weldon Champneys, who received it from Thomas Bromwich, Esq. the late Treasurer.
5 A part of this appears to have been in lieu of 20s. per annum, given by John Martyn, of Highgate, Gent. in 1574, which gift being a rent-charge on a copyhold estate, was not valid.
3 Sir Orlando Bridgman, the Lord Keeper.