The Piazza
Site of No. 4 Henrietta Street

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

F. H. W. Sheppard (General Editor)

Year published

1970

Supporting documents

Page

95

Citation Show another format:

'The Piazza: Site of No. 4 Henrietta Street', Survey of London: volume 36: Covent Garden (1970), pp. 95. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=46102 Date accessed: 02 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Site of No. 4 Henrietta Street

The first house here, which originally abutted upon the west side of Bedford House garden, overlooked but was not designed as part of the Piazza. It was one of two houses built in 1631–4 under a lease granted by the fourth Earl to Sir Humphrey Foster. (ref. 1) No subsequent rebuilding lease has been found before that granted for the present house in 1781 (see page 232), although it is clear from Plate 29b that the house had been either refaced or rebuilt before this—probably in c. 1730 when most of the south side of Henrietta Street was rebuilt.

References

1 E/BER, Rental, 1637; Henrietta Street leases.