CHAPTER 11 - No. 55 BELVEDERE ROAD
[See plates 33, 34 and 35.]
In 1813 the land south of Peache's Wharf was occupied by John
Fowler, described variously as a tin plate worker and anchorsmith. (ref. 106) In 1821
he obtained a further lease of the property and erected the house known as
No. 55 Belvedere Road for his own occupation. (ref. 74)
A contemporary writer noted that Belvedere Road was undergoing
great improvements “by taking down the old buildings and substituting new
and elegant houses in their stead”. (ref. 6) In 1839, to the annoyance of his neighbours, Fowler converted the factory between his house and the river into a
white lead works. James Goding, proprietor of the newly erected Lion
Brewery, complained to his landlord, the Archbishop of Canterbury, but was
countered by a report from Andrew Ure, professor of chemistry, which
stated that Mr. De La Rue Junior “a partner and conductor of the said
patent factory has evinced equal judgement and ingenuity in the structure
… to prevent waste of product, injury to the health of workmen and nuisance to the neighbourhood.” (ref. 74) The factory buildings inculded two chimneys
60 feet high and two coke ovens. The surprising fact is not, however, that
such a factory should be permitted in what was rapidly becoming and industrial
neighbourhood, but that Peache and Fowler should have built such good class houses there for their own occupation. Both Peache's Wharf and
Fowler's lead works are shown in the view of the Lion Brewery on Plate 31.
No. 55, with Nos. 53 and 57, which were known as King's Arms
Wharf and Darfield Wharf respectively, were occupied by the London
Waste Paper Co. in the 1930's. (ref. 74) They were demolished in 1949.
No. 55 was a house of substantial character. Though detached, it
was of terrace type without openings in the flank walls. It was in yellow stock
brick and its front elevation was three windows wide to each of the ground,
first and second floors. The windows had gauged flat arches and all had
glazing bars to their double hung sashes. The ground storey was raised
above a semi-basement and the entrance, which was reached by a short
flight of steps, had and architrave surround with consoles each side designed to
support a flat hood. The hood had been removed some time prior to demolition. There was a moulded band at first floor level and a bold parapet
cornice above the second floor. Behind the parapet dormer windows were
set in a slated mansard roof.
The history and antiquities of the Parish
of Lambeth, by T. Allen, 1826.
||L.C.C. Solicitor's Dept., Deeds.
||Church Commissioners: Deeds, 91139.