References

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

Sir Howard Roberts and Walter H. Godfrey (editors)

Year published

1951

Supporting documents

Pages

151-155

Citation Show another format:

'References', Survey of London: volume 23: Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall (1951), pp. 151-155. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=47065 Date accessed: 25 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

REFERENCES

1. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place-names, by Eilert Ekwall, 1936.

2. Surr. Arch. Coll., vol. XLIII. The Roman Road from West Wickham to London, by B. F. Davis.

3. An Act for making new Sewers and Drains … within certain Districts under the jurisdiction of the Commissioners of Sewers for the Limits extending from East Mouldsey in Surrey to Ravensborne in Kent, 49 Geo. III, cap. 183.

4. English delft ware, by F. H. Garner, 1948.

5. Information supplied by Messrs. Clowes & Sons, Ltd.

6. The history and antiquities of the Parish of Lambeth, by T. Allen, 1826.

7. Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. Everyman Edition.

8. History and antiquities of the parish of Lambeth, by J. Nichols, 1786.

9. V.C.H., Surrey.

10. Registrum Roffense, ed. John Thorpe, 1769.

11. Private Act, 31 Hen. VIII, No. 26.

12. P.R.O., C 54/3414.

13. Local Act, 46 Geo. III, cap. 57.

14. Private Act, 1 Geo. IV, cap. 48.

15. Historical particulars of Lambeth Parish and Lambeth Palace in addition to the histories by Dr. Ducarel, by Samuel Denne, 1795.

16. Cal. of Close Rolls.

17. MS. History of the Manor of Kennington, by Rollo Laird Clowes, in the Minet Library (copy in the L.C.C. Members' Library).

18. Cal. of Charter Rolls.

19. Cal. of Pat. Rolls.

20. Survey of London, by John Stow, 1618 ed.

21. P.R.O., E 179/184/49a.

22. Johannis Lelandi Antiquarii de Rebus Britanniciis Collectanea.

23. Cal. of L.& P. Hen. VIII.

24. P.R.O., C 66/1332.

25. Cat. of MSS. and Muniments of Dulwich College, 1881.

26. P.R.O., E 317 (Surr.), No. 33.

27. P.R.O., E 320/R. 20.

28. Private Act, 16 Geo. III, cap. 58.

29. Case between Sir William Clayton, Bart., and the Duchy of Cornwall by J. Haines, 1834 and 1835.

30. P.R.O., E/36/168.

31. City of London Records, Norden's Survey of Kennington, 1615.

32. Duchy of Cornwall Office, Harbord's Survey, quoted by R. L. Clowes.

33. P.R.O., E 317 (Surr.), No. 34.

34. P.R.O., T/51/1–14.

35. Duchy of Cornwall Office, Hodskinson and Middleton's Survey of Kennington, 1785.

36. Bankside. Survey of London, vol. XXII, L.C.C., 1950.

37. Historical anecdotes of some of the Howard family, by The Hon. Charles Howard, 1769.

38. Public Act, 50 Geo. III, cap. 6, “An Act to enable H.R.H. George Prince of Wales to grant leases of certain lands and premises called Prince's Meadows …”

39. A description of Messrs. Clowes and Sons Printing Office. Privately printed.

40. Picturesque views on the River Thames, by Saml. Ireland, 1791.

41. Life of William Curtis, by W. H. Curtis, 1941.

42. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 93142.

43. L.C.C. Street naming records.

44. L.C.C. Surrey and Kent Sewer rate books.

45. Lambeth M.B.C. Poor rate books.

46. Information supplied by W. H. Smith & Son.

47. St. Thomas' Hospital Group, Records of the Royal Hospital for Children and Women.

48. P.O. and other London Directories.

49. L.C.C. Building Act records.

50. L.C.C. Print in the Library Collection.

51. Report of the Benevolent Society of St. Patrick, Stamford Street, Blackfriars Road, 1822.

52. Life and Letters of John Galsworthy, by H. V. Marrot, 1935.

53. Pub. Act 6 and 7 Vict. cap. 37.

54. Church Commissioners' File: 17760.

55. Local Act 49, George III, cap. 191.

56. L.C.C. Ceremonial Pamphlet on the opening of Waterloo Bridge, 1945.

57. Local Acts of 53, George III, cap. 184 and 56, George III, cap. 63.

58. L.C.C. Bridges, 1906.

59. P.R.O., C 54/559.

60. Jesus College Deeds.

61. P.R.O., C.P. 25(2), Surr. Mich. 9 Car. I.

62. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 90782.

63. A new view of London, by E. Hatton, 1708.

64. The London pleasure gardens of the 18th century, by W. Wroth, 1896.

65. Gent. Mag.

66. Newspaper cutting, 30th June, 1741.

67. An Act for the better preventing thefts and robberies …25 Geo. II, cap. 36.

68. Family tradition, 1641–1941, an unpublished account of British firms of distillers, by H. Sarson.

69. Some account of London, by Thos. Pennant, 2nd ed., 1791.

70. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 86901.

71. Christopher Tadpole, by A. Smith, 1848.

72. The origin and progress of the Royal Hospital for Children and Women. Privately printed, 1899.

73. The Times.

74. L.C.C. Solicitor's Dept., Deeds.

75. Annual Register, 1847.

76. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 87156–8.

77. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 90782.

78. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 90783.

79. Church Commissioners: File, 17760.

80. A public Act for building and promoting the building of additional churches in populous parishes, 58 Geo. III, cap. 45.

81. Duchy of Cornwall Office, extract dated 1822 in a file of newspaper cuttings.

82. St. Mary, Lambeth, Vestry Minute Books.

83. Metropolitan Improvements, by Jas. Elmes, 1827.

84. London Church Guide, by Charles Mackeson, 1894–5.

85. The history and antiquities of Lambeth, by J. Tanswell, 1858.

86. Bap. Reg., St. John, Waterloo Road.

87. L.C.C. U.L./F.10.

88. Historical and descriptive accounts of the theatres of London, by Edward W. Brayley, 1826.

89. The Old Vic, by Cicely Hamilton and Lilian Baylis, 1926.

90. Alton Locke, by Charles Kingsley, 1850

91. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 86885, 2/2

92. Local Act 47, Geo. III, Sess. 2, cap. 128.

93. Turnpikes and Tollbars, by Mark Searle, 1930.

94. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 86870–3.

95. Waterloo Station Centenary, 1848–1948, by British Railways.

96. D.N.B.

97. St. Thomas' Hospital Group. Minutes of the General Lying-in Hospital.

98. St. Thomas' Hospital Group. Deeds of the General Lying-in Hospital.

99. Extension Fund Appeal, circa 1930.

100. St. Mary, Lambeth, Churchwardens' Accounts.

101. O.E.D.

102. P.C.C., 136 Cann.

103. L.C.C. Records: Minutes of Surrey and Kent Sewer Commission.

104. Church Commissioners: Deeds 86901.

105. L.C.C., U.L./F11.

106. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 91139.

107. Appendix to the history and antiquities of the parish of Lambeth, by J. Nichols, 1786.

108. Public Act 25, Geo. III, cap. 89.

109. Information supplied by the Metropolitan Water Board.

110. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 359667–8.

111. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 54670.

112. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 91142.

113. Information supplied by Messrs. Charrington& Co.

114. Church Commissioners: File, 1094.

115. Memoirs of the Geological Survey. The Geology of London, vol. 2, by W. Whitaker, 1889.

116. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 91141.

117. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 90782, fol. 38.

118. Public Act, 6 and 7 Wm. IV, cap. 133.

119. Local Act, 6 and 7 Vic., cap. 19.

120. III. Lond. News.

121. Public Act, 22 and 23 Vic., cap. 81.

122. L.C.C., Bridges, 1914.

123. Local Act, 40 and 41 Vic., cap. 99.

124. Magazine of the Whitbread Group, Spring 1950.

125. Commonwealth Relations Office, Surveyors' Records, vol. 15.

126. Jesus College Magazine, March, 1949.

127. Patent Office, 447 and 448.

128. A short treatise of artificial stone, as 'tis now made, and converted into all manner of curious embellishments and proper ornaments of architecture,, by Richard Holt, 1730, B.M. 444 C. 51.

129. An Essay on the origin, nature, uses and properties of artificial stone,, by Daniel Pincot, 1770, B.M. 61 b. 18.

130. Guildhall Library MSS. 897/5. Records of Inscriptions in Bunhill Fields Burial Ground.

131. Somerset House, Non-parochial Registers—Bunhill Fields.

132. Sealy Tomb in Lambeth Churchyard.

133. P.C.C., 168 Bellas.

134. A descriptive catalogue of Coade's Artificial Stone Manufactory, 1784.

135. Description of ornamental stone, in the Gallery of Coade and Sealy.

136. P.C.C., Admon. Act Book 1814.

137. P.C.C., 195 Sutton.

138. P.C.C., 651 Mansfield.

139. Lambeth Endowed Charities Office. Account of benefactions to Lambeth Parish, by Dr. John Denne.

140. Transactions of the Newcomen Society, vol. XV: Maudslay, Sons & Field as General Engineers, by J. Foster Petree.

141. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 90782, fo. 62.

142. Opening ceremony at the new County Hall—17th July, 1922, L.C.C

143. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 93143.

144. Local Act, 6 Ed. VII, cap. 86.

145. L.C.C., Boat of the Roman Period.

146. L.C.C., Guide to the County Hall.

147. Guildhall Library. Westminster Bridge, …1722.

148. A Public act for building a bridge across the River Thames, from the New Palace Yard in the City of Westminster to the opposite shore … 9 Geo. II, cap. 29.

149. A survey of Westminster Bridge as 'tis now sinking into ruin, by Batty Langley, 1748.

150. L.C.C., Westminster Bridge, original manuscripts.

151. A short account of the methods made use of in laying the foundations of the piers of Westminster Bridge, … by Charles Labelye, 1739.

152. Bridges, historical and descriptive notes—L.C.C., 1914.

153. Thames Bridges, by James Dredge, 1897.

154. P.R.O., Works 6/60.

155. P.R.O., Works 6/61.

156. Home Counties Mag., vol. 6, 1924.

157. Church Commissioners: Maps, 8959.

158. P.R.O., Works 6/163/2.

159. L.C.C. Library, Particulars of Sale, 1855.

160. Church Commissioners: Maps, 8963.

161. The greatest show on earth, by M. Willson Disher, 1937.

162. Surrey County Council Records, Q.S. 2/1/26.

163. Master Humphrey's Clock, by Charles Dickens, 1841.

164. City of London Records, B.H.E. 287/1.

165. Ibid., B.H.E. 287/64.

166. Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. 15, App. I, MSS. of Earl of Dartmouth, III.

167. L.C.C., Water-colour drawing in the Library Collection.

168. L.C.C., Pamphlets on houses of historical interest.

169. Lond. Top. Record, vol. 9, Blake London, by T. F. Ordish.

170. An Account of … the Asylum or House of Refuge… 1763.

171. Pietas Londinensis, by A. Highmore, 1810.

172. The annual charities register and digest.

173. Christ Church Jubilee Tear Book, 1926.

174. The Star, 1917.

175. Private Act, 31 Hen. VIII, no. 26.

176. Transactions of the English Ceramic Circle, No. 4, 1937. Lambeth Earthenware, by F. H. Garner.

177. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 31627.

178. Private Act, 7 and 8 Geo. IV, cap. 57.

179. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 17433, etc.

180. Church Commissioners: File, 17750.

181. Information supplied by the Rev. A. P. J. Gedge.

182. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 90782–9.

183. Lamb. Pal. MSS. Court Roll, 545.

184. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 171184, 2/4.

185. Bray ley's History of Surrey, revised by E. Walford, 1878.

186. The history of St. Thomas's Hospital, by F. G. Parsons, 1932.

187. Florence Nightingale, by C. Woodham Smith, 1950.

188. St. Thomas' Hospital Records. Grand Committee Minutes.

189. The Story of Lambeth Palace, by Dorothy Gardiner, 1930.

190. Rolls Series 38. Memorials of Richard II.

191. Cal. of Liberate Rolls.

192. William Temple, Archbishop of Canterbury, his life and letters, by F. A. Iremonger, 1949.

193. The history and antiquities of the archiepiscopal palace of Lambeth, by Dr. Ducarel, 1785.

194. The history of the worthies of England, by Thos. Fuller, D.D. 1662.

195. Lambeth Palace and its associations, by J. Cave-Browne, 1882.

196. The natural history and antiquities of Surrey, by J. Aubrey,1719.

197.Notes from Blore's report in a collection belonging to the Archbishop of Canterbury.

198. Surr. Arch. Coll., Vol. XII, pt, i, The Manor of Lambeth, by S.W. Kershaw.

199. Lamb. Pal. MSS. Court Roll 573.

200. The Progresses… of Queen Elizabeth, by Jn. Nichols, 1823.

201. Lamb. Pal MSS. Court Roll 562.

202. Surr.Arch.Coll.,vol XXXII, The crypt and chapel of Lambeth Palace, by P.M Johnston.

203.Canterburies Doome, by WM,Prynne, 1646.

204. Lamb. Pal Library MSS. Court Roll 576.

205. Surr. Arch. Coll., vol VII, pt. 3,Chipstead Church, by Major Heales.

206. Lamb. Pal Kibrary MSS. Court Roll 549.

207. Brit. Mus. Add. Ms, 29, 549.

208. Cal. of S.P.Dom, Eliz., 1558.

209. Lambeth Place illustrated, by E,W, Brayley and W,Herbert, 1806.

210. Church Commissioners: Map of Lambeth Palace, 1784.

211. L.C.C. Minutes, 1900.

212. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 90982.

213. Environs of London, by D. Lysons, vol. I, 1810.

214. Register, W.Wykeham, quoted by Lysons and Brit. Mus. Egerton, M.S. 2033.

215. P.C.C., Home 32.

216. Environs of London, by D, Lysons, vol. I 1791.

217. P.C.C., Milles 38.

218. P.C.C., Wattys 10.

219. Mercurius Rusticus, 1646.

220. Lambeth Parish Church, by G.Masters, 1904.

221. The Builder, 1852.

222. Information supplied by the rector and churchwardens of St, Mary Lambeth.

223. P.C.C., 16. Holgrave.

224. Collage of Arms, Vincent MSS. Coll., Surrey.

225. P.C.C., 15 Blamyr.

226. P.C.C.,25 Holder.

227. P.C.C., 25 Bennett.

228. Polychronicon, by Ralph Higden, Rolls Series. II.

229. MS. of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, Register T, Fol.112.

230. Diary of the life of Archbishop Laud (1695 ed.).

231. Hist. MSS. Comm., App. to 5th Rep.

232. P.R.O.C 54/3414.

233. Cal. of S.P. Dom., 1648–64.

234. Hist, MSS. Comm., 9th Rep., App. I.

235. Ibid., 4th Rep., App.

236. History of England, by Lord Macaulay, 1849 ed.

237. Lives of Queens of England, by Agnes Strickland,1852.

238. P.R.O. Works 6/32, pp. 248, 274.

239. Public Act, 10 Geo. II, cap.16.

240. Local Act, 49 Geo III, cap. 142.

241. L.C.C. Ceremonial pamphlet: Opening of Lambeth Bridge… 19th July, 1932.

242. Local Act, 6 and 7 Wm. IV, cap. 134.

243. Local Act, 24 and 25 Vic., cap. 117.

244. A succinct history of the life and death of … Daniel Featley, by John Featley, 1660.

245. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 171187.

246. Private Act, 18 Geo. III, cap 32.

247. L.C.C.: Deeds of Lambeth Rectory.

248. 1806 Lambeth Enclosure Award Map.

249. Deeds in possession of L. Bull, 210, Lambeth Road.

250. The Lambeth Mission Street Preacher, by Thomas Tiplady, 1950.

251. P.R.O., C.P. 25(2), 602, Surr. Mich. 1657.

252. P.C.C., 26 Hene.

253. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 171193.

254. Guildhall Library, M.R./M.S.2063. “A True and exact Transcript of all entered In The Tenants Court Book …,”1685.

255. Lambeth Endowed Charities: Walcot Estate Deeds, Kept at Hayle's Estate Office, St. George's Road.

256. Private Act, 9 Geo. IV, cap. 45.

257. A Rental and Account of Monies ArisingFrom Gifts, (etc.)… To the Parishes of St, Olave and St. John, … Printed 1829.

258. Local Act, 24 Geo, II, cap. 58.

259. The Architect and Building News, 1933.

260. P.R.O., C 66/347.

261. G.E.C., Complete Peerage.

262. P.C.C., 23 Bodefelde.

263. P.C.C., 40 Pynnyng.

264. P.R.O., C54/559.

265. P.R.O., C.P. 25 (2), 225 Surr. Mich., 4 and 5 Eliz.

266. The life and acts of Mathew Parker… by John Strype, 1711.

267. P.C.C., 13 Pyckering.

268. P.R.O., C 54/1114.

269. P.R.O., C.P. 25 (2), 226 Surr. Trin., 24 Eliz.

270. P.R.O., C 54/2004.

271. P.R.O., C.P. 25 (2), 227 Surr. Mich., 30 and 31 Eliz.

272. P.R.O., C 54/1943.

273. P.C.C., 35 Sadler.

274. P.R.O., C.P. 25 (2), 734 Surr. Hill., 32 and 33 Car. II.

275. P.R.O., C.P. 25 (2), 972 Surr. Hill., 7 Anne.

276. Endowed Charities Return, Vol. IV, 1901.

277. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 171197, fol. 202.

278. Deeds of Messrs. Doulton, Ltd.

279. P.C.C., 3 Fox.

280. Church Commissioners: File, 18135.

281. Diary and correspondence of John Evelyn. Bohn ed. 1862.

282. Journal des Voyages de M. de Monconys … Publié par son Files, 1665.

283. The Spectator No. 383, 20th May, 1712.

284. The history and antiquities of … Surrey, by O. Manning and W, Bray, 1814.

285. The life, times and scientific labours of the second Marquis of Worcester, by Henry Dircks, 1865.

286. Church Commissioners: File, 70433.

287. Church Commissioners: File, 70432.

288. Church Commissioners: Deeds, 70308, fol. 23.

289. L.C.C. Ceremonial pamphlet issued on the opening of Vauxhall Bridge, 1906.



Next:-->
Index