Dothie-Camddwr - Dyserth

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis

Year published

1849

Supporting documents

Pages

317-320

Citation Show another format:

'Dothie-Camddwr - Dyserth', A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 317-320. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=47822 Date accessed: 02 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Dothie-Camddwr (Deutu-Camddwr)

DOTHIE-CAMDDWR (DEUTU-CAMDDWR), a township, in the parish of Llandewy-Brevi, union of Trêgaron, Upper division of the hundred of Penarth, county of Cardigan, South Wales, 14½ miles (E. N. E.) from Lampeter; containing 191 inhabitants. This place takes its name from the river Camddwr, which falls into the Towy at the junction of the counties of Cardigan, Brecknock, and Carmarthen. In 1074, a sanguinary battle was fought here, between Rhŷs ab Owain and Rhydderch ab Caradoc, Princes of South Wales, on the one side, and Gronw and Llewelyn, the sons of Cadwgan ab Bleddyn, on the other. In this battle, the latter were victorious, and Rhydderch was slain, but Rhŷs was, nevertheless, allowed to retain the sovereignty of South Wales. On the western bank of the river Camddwr is an ancient military work, called Castell, constructed by Rhŷs and Rhydderch on this occasion; and the place where Gronw and Llewelyn crossed the river by a ford is still named Rhŷd-y-meirch, "the ford of the cavalry." The ground in the neighbourhood of this township is rugged and mountainous. A commutation has been made in lieu of the tithes, for a rent-charge of £60.

Dothie-Pyscottwr (Deutu-Pys-Gotwr)

DOTHIE-PYSCOTTWR (DEUTU-PYSGOTWR), a township, in the parish of LlandewyBrevi, union of Trêgaron, Upper division of the hundred of Penarth, county of Cardigan, South Wales, 12½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Lampeter; containing 119 inhabitants. The township is situated near the source of the Pyscottwr stream, which unites with the Dothie, previously to the latter joining the river Towy on the border of Carmarthenshire. The tithes have been commuted for a rentcharge of £46.

Dremerchion

DREMERCHION, county of Flint, North Wales.—See Tremerchion.

Drewern (Trewern)

DREWERN (TREWERN), a hamlet, in the parish of Glâscomb, union of Kington, hundred of Colwyn, county of Radnor, South Wales, 7 miles (N. E. by E.) from Builth; containing 258 inhabitants. This place is situated in a valley in the upper part of the parish, near the source of the river Edwy. It comprises one-half of the parish, of which the hamlet of Vainor forms the other. In some places the scenery is of a pleasing character, agreeably contrasting with the contiguous mountains; and the mineral springs called Blaen-Edwy Wells are situated in the township. A bridge crosses the Edwy here on the road leading from the town of New Radnor to that of Builth.

Dutton-Difieth (Dutton-Diffaith)

DUTTON-DIFIETH (DUTTON-DIFFAITH), a township, in the parochial chapelry of Is-y-Coed, union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh, North Wales, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Wrexham; containing 179 inhabitants. The township borders on the river Dee, which here separates the county from that of Chester. A tithe rent-charge of £75 is paid to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester.

Dutton-Y-Brân (Dutton-Y-Brain)

DUTTON-Y-BRÂN (DUTTON-Y-BRAIN), a township, in the parochial chapelry of Is-y-Coed, union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh, North Wales, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Wrexham; containing 49 inhabitants. A tithe rentcharge of £90 is paid to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester.

Dwygyvylchi (Dwy-Gyfylchi)

DWYGYVYLCHI (DWY-GYFYLCHI), a parish, in the union of Conway, hundred of Llêchwedd-Uchâv, county of Carnarvon, in North Wales, 4 miles (W.) from Conway, on the road to Holyhead; containing 709 inhabitants. This parish is situated in a mountainous district, and bounded on the east by the estuary of the river Conway, which here falls into the Irish Sea. It comprises 3789 acres, of which 1682 are common or waste land. In altering and improving the line of road to Holyhead, in 1826, a new route was formed through the parish from Conway, above four miles in extent, at an expense exceeding £20,000; it passes round the immense rocky mountain of Penmaen Bâch, and, being carried immediately above the sea, is impassable during the winter from the heavy gales that prevail, in consequence of which carriages are compelled to travel along the old line of road through the mountain pass of Sychnant. The Chester and Holyhead railway, opened in 1848, also intersects the parish. The village is small, and consists only of a few scattered houses irregularly built. Copper-ore and manganese have been found in small quantities in the parish, and pyrites in large masses; but the coppermines only are now worked: there is also an abundance of felspar, but the works have been nearly discontinued. The living is a vicarage not in charge, endowed with £400 royal bounty; patrons and impropriators, H. and L. Eyton, Esqrs. The tithes have been commuted for £108. 3. payable to the vicar, and £107. 17. 6. payable to the impropriators; the glebe comprises three acres and a half, valued at £11 per annum. The church, dedicated to St. Tegonwy, and rebuilt in 1760, is a small neat edifice, pleasantly situated beneath the lofty mountain of Penmaen Bâch. There are places of worship for dissenters, a Church school, and three Sunday schools, one of them in connexion with the Church. A sum of 20s., arising from a bequest of £20, by Mrs. Jones, at an unknown date, is annually distributed among the poor.

On the mountains within the parish are numerous ancient encampments and fortresses, of which those to the south of Penmaen Bâch are the most extensive and singular in their formation. The principal of these occupies a very spacious area, inclosed by a strong stone wall of rude construction, much of which, with its facing of uncemented stones, is still remaining entire. Near it are seven smaller circular inclosures, about fifteen feet in diameter, formed of large upright stones, and some of them having in the centre a single upright stone. To the south of these are no less than twenty-six circular inclosures of similar construction, varying from twelve to twentytwo feet in diameter; and upon a rocky promontory facing Deganwy is a very deep narrow fosse, surrounding a wall of loose stones. The whole of this range of hills appears to have been anciently occupied, the foundations of several buildings being spread around on all sides; carneddau are scattered in various places, and at a short distance stands a large upright stone of rude form called Maen y Campiau, or "stone of the games," referring to the games for the celebration of which, and also for the holding of the great Eisteddvodau, or meetings of the bards, these and similar places appear to have been appropriated during the earlier ages of the Britons. It should be observed, that these particulars of ancient remains refer rather to the district as it appeared some years ago; many of the antiquities have probably been removed within the present century.

Dyfryn

DYFRYN, a parcel, in the parish of Llangynider, union and hundred of Crickhowel, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 9 miles (W. S. W.) from Crickhowel; containing 123 inhabitants.—See Llangynider.

Dyfryn

DYFRYN, a hamlet, in the parish of Llanthetty, hundred of Pencelly, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 7 miles (S. E.) from Brecknock; containing 196 inhabitants. The parochial church is situated in this hamlet, which is bounded on the south by the Crawnon brook, and on the north-east by the river Usk. It is also traversed by the Brecknock canal, to which a tramroad leads, conveying lime from the Llangattock hills, and coal from the banks of the river Romney, also in Llangattock parish. The hamlet is extremely well wooded.

Dyfryn

DYFRYN, a hamlet, in the parish of Vainor, union of Merthyr-Tydvil, hundred of Pencelly, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 3½ miles (N.) from Merthyr-Tydvil; containing 113 inhabitants. The hamlet is situated on the left bank of the Tâf Vawr river, and the lower part of it is well wooded. There are several carneddau scattered on the hills in this neighbourhood. The village of Coedycummer was formerly included in Dyfryn, but it is now a separate hamlet.

Dyfryn-Clydach

DYFRYN-CLYDACH, a township, in the ecclesiastical district of Skewen, parish of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath, union and hundred of Neath, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 1½ mile (N. W.) from Neath; containing 1085 inhabitants. This township is intersected by the turnpike-road from Neath to Swansea, and is bounded by the little river Clydach, which falls into the Neath about half a mile lower down. It abounds with iron and coal, and there are copper-works on an extensive scale, which afford employment to a considerable portion of the inhabitants. A tramroad proceeds south from the coal-mines in the northern part, until it joins the Neath river, crossing the Briton-Ferry canal, which is conveyed over the lower part of the Clydach stream. Within the township are the interesting ruins of Neath Abbey, of which an account is given in the article on Cadoxton. On Drymmeu, or Trumau, mountain, which bounds it on the west, are some intrenchments and a cist-vaen, of which no authentic particulars have been recorded.

Dyfryn-Cydrich (Dyffryn-Cydrych)

DYFRYN-CYDRICH (DYFFRYN-CYDRYCH), a hamlet, in the parish of Llangadock, union of Llandovery, Lower division of the hundred of Perveth, county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Llangadock; containing 759 inhabitants. This hamlet, which is traversed by the road from Llangadock to LlandiloVawr, is situated between the rivers Towy and Sawdde, and is in general well cultivated and tolerably well wooded: it contains the seat of Tan-yrallt. On the top of Trichrûg, a very long and elevated mountain, are three carneddau, which are conspicuous at a considerable distance. On the Garn Gôch are the rude and lofty ramparts of an ancient quadrangular camp, inclosing a vast space of ground on an inaccessible rock. Blaendyfryn Gam Prenteg and the Gorllwyn are interesting to the geologist, as exhibiting manifest indications of a volcanic origin, and also on account of the bold outlines of their abrupt escarpments, and the enormous masses of rock, overgrown with oak, which attest the tremendous force by which those ancient hills have been shattered into their numerous fragments. Llŷs Brychan was anciently a Roman residence, before it was the palace of Brychan Brecheiniog, as is evident from the number of Roman tiles, pottery, and hexagonal slates which have been found there: the foundations of the buildings, now about a foot below the surface, are extensive, and hold out strong temptations to the search of the antiquary. The Via Julia is said to have traversed this valley, and traces of it are thought to be visible upon a bog between Pen-y-banc and Blaendyfryn.

Dyfryn-Elain (Dyffryn-Elain)

DYFRYN-ELAIN (DYFFRYN-ELAIN), a hamlet, in the parish of Cwm-Toyddwr, union and hundred of Rhaiadr, county of Radnor, South Wales, 4 miles (S. W.) from Rhaiadr; containing 376 inhabitants. This hamlet takes its name from the river Elain, or Elan, the vale of which abounds with romantic scenery, composed of lofty mountains and rugged and precipitous rocks, finely contrasting with the verdant meadows and cultivated inclosures on the banks of the river. Cwm Elain, a modern structure, situated on a bend of the river, was the residence of Thomas Grove, Esq., who purchased about 10,000 acres of land in this vicinity, with the lordship of the Grange, and who by judicious planting converted part of the district into a very flourishing tract, and softened the wildness of the fine mountain scenery which characterizes this secluded spot. This beautiful and romantic seat was lately the property of Robert Peel, Esq., from whom it was purchased by his Grace the Duke of Newcastle, who has since disposed of it. At Nant Gwyllt, four miles from the mother-church, on the left bank of the river Claerwen, is a chapel of ease, where divine service is performed every Sunday. A fine mansion is situated at the same place, surrounded by varied scenery. At Coed-y-Mynach, or "the monks' wood," on the banks of the Elain, about halfway to the motherchurch, are the remains of a chapel, called Capel Madoc, which is supposed to have been attached to the abbey of Strata-Florida, in Cardiganshire, as the vestiges of an ancient road, connecting the two places, are still visible on the lofty hills in this district. There are lead-mines in the hamlet, but they are not worked at present.

Dyfryn-Gwy

DYFRYN-GWY, a hamlet, in the parish of Cwm-Toyddwr, union and hundred of Rhaiadr, county of Radnor, South Wales, 2 miles (N. W.) from Rhaiadr; containing 507 inhabitants. The road from Rhaiadr to Aberystwith passes through this hamlet, running, in the upper part of its course, along the left bank of the river Elain, which has its rise here in Llyven Gwingy, on the border of Cardiganshire: the river Wye flows on the north-eastern side of the hamlet. There are two manufactories for flannel. Part of Dyfryn-Gwy is included in the parliamentary borough of Rhaiadr. Here are several cairns, the most remarkable of which is Tommen Sant Fraid, said to cover the remains of the patron saint of the parish church, which is situated in this hamlet. On the banks of the Wye, nearly opposite to the site on which Rhaiadr Castle stood, are traces of an encampment: though some of the intrenchments were demolished not many years ago, an artificial mound still remains, probably the site of the keep of an ancient castle, which it is said communicated with Rhaiadr Castle by a passage beneath the river Wye.

Dyfryn-Honddû

DYFRYN-HONDDÛ, a chapelry, composed of the Upper and Lower divisions, in the parish and hundred of Merthyr-Cynog, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Brecknock; containing 386 inhabitants, of whom 206 are in the Upper, and 180 in the Lower, division. The name of this place describes its situation in the Vale of Honddû, which abounds with picturesque and highly romantic scenery. The surface is finely undulated: some of the hills are richly clothed with wood, and others afford good pasturage for the sheep which feed on their declivities; the lower grounds are partly arable and partly meadow land, and the views from the higher grounds combine many objects of interest and beauty. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £1000 royal bounty; net income, £66; patron, the Vicar of Merthyr-Cynog. The chapel, which was anciently a chapel of ease to Merthyr-Cynog, is situated in a winding and romantic part of the valley, near the source of the rapid river Honddû, and on the mountain road from Brecknock to Builth, about two miles eastward from the mother-church. It is sometimes called Capel Uchâv, or "the upper chapel," to distinguish it from that of Llanvihangel-Vechan, in the parish of Llandevailog-Vâch, lower down in the vale. On the right bank of the Honddû, a little above the chapel, stands Mynachtŷ, once a residence for the monks from Malvern Priory who were employed to superintend the temporal concerns and collect the dues of that religious house, in this parish. It is now a mean dwelling, with a small farm attached, and apparently retains not the least vestige of the original building.

Dylas (Dulas), Higher

DYLAS (DULAS), HIGHER, a township, in the parish of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath, union and hundred of Neath, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 6½ miles (N. N. E.) from Neath; containing 373 inhabitants. This township derives its name from the small stream Dylas, which falls into the Neath in the lower hamlet of the same name. It contains a chapel of ease, called Crynant chapel, which is dedicated to St. Margaret. Fairs are held annually on Whit-Monday, September 29th, and November 20th. The Roman Via Helena, otherwise Sarn Helen, passed over the mountains in this township; it diverged from the Julia Strata Maritima at Neath, and connected that station with the military post which the Romans had about three miles from the town of Brecknock.

Dylas (Dulas), Lower

DYLAS (DULAS), LOWER, a township, in the parish of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath, union and hundred of Neath, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 2½ miles (N. E.) from Neath; containing 394 inhabitants. It is situated at the junction of the river Dylas with the Neath, and is intersected by the turnpike-road from Neath into Brecknockshire through the Vale of Neath. At the distance of about one hundred yards from the road is a very picturesque fall of the Dylas, over a ledge of rock which forms its bed for a considerable distance: a huge mass of rock, as if separated by some violent convulsion, occupies the middle of the channel, and, together with the two projections of the ledge, gives an additional effect to the scene. The neighbourhood is particularly interesting, and proceeding up the vale its beauty improves at every opening. The Neath canal here receives the Swansea and Neath Junction canal, which is conveyed over the river by means of a handsome aqueduct. The Aber-Dylas tramway, extending from the limestone quarries at Cwm Dylas, communicates with the western branch of this canal.

Dynhynlla (Din-Henlle) Isâ

DYNHYNLLA (DIN-HENLLE) ISÂ, a township, in the parish of Ruabon, union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh, North Wales, 1 mile (S. E.) from Ruabon; containing 312 inhabitants. The principal portion of the township is included in Wynnstay Park, the noble seat of Sir W. W. Wynn, Bart., which is described in the article on the parish.

Dynhynlla (Din-Henlle) Uchâ

DYNHYNLLA (DIN-HENLLE) UCHÂ, a township, in the parish of Ruabon, union of Wrexhan, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh, North Wales, 2 miles (S. W.) from Ruabon; containing 1027 inhabitants. A portion of Wynnstay Park is in this township; and there are some other respectable residences in different parts of it. Offa's Dyke passes through it, in a line nearly parallel with the road from Ruabon to Chirk.

Dyserth (Diserth)

DYSERTH (DISERTH), a parish, in the union of St. Asaph, partly within the limits of the borough of Rhuddlan, partly in the hundred of Rhuddlan, and partly in that of Prestatyn, county of Flint, North Wales, 2½ miles (E. N. E.) from Rhuddlan; containing 892 inhabitants. This place was anciently distinguished for a castle, of which mention occurs in various records, under the several appellations of Din Colyn, Castell y Failon, and Castell Gerri. Of its original foundation nothing certain is known: it was probably of Welsh origin, and is supposed to have formed the last of a chain of British posts on the Clwydian hills. The castle was fortified by Henry III., about the year 1241; but, within less than twenty years after, it was razed to the ground by Llewelyn ab Grufydd. During the siege, Einon, son of Ririd Vlaidd, was slain: and a cross was erected to his memory on the spot, the shaft of which, ornamented with rude sculpture, was subsequently made to form part of a stile into the churchyard. The small remains of the castle, consisting only of a few fragments, occupy the summit of a limestone rock about half a mile from the village: from this spot is an extensive view of the Irish Sea and part of the Vale of Clwyd. In the same vicinity are the ruins of another building, called Siambre Wen, and Eglwys Wen.

The parish is bounded on the north-west by the Irish Sea, and comprises 1842 acres, of which 84 are common or waste land. The turnpike-road from Holywell, through Newmarket, to Rhuddlan, passes through the village. In a part of the parish, included in the Bishop of St. Asaph's manor of Rhuddlan, is the Talar Gôch lead-mine, of the produce of which the bishop receives the usual proportion as lord of the manor; a part of the mine extends into the parish of Meliden, and the produce, which in 1847 amounted to nearly 1000 tons of ore, is shipped off from Rhuddlan to the vicinity of Flint, where it is principally smelted. Near the church was formerly a beautiful cascade, formed by a stream from Fynnon Asaph, in the parish of Cwm; but it is now almost destroyed by the diversion of the stream to the mines. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph; net income, £160. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £388. 12. 3., with an impropriate glebe of nineteen acres and a quarter, valued at £24 per annum. The church, dedicated to St. Bridget, is a small neat edifice, without either tower or spire, but embellished with a fine window of painted glass, removed from Basingwerk Abbey, near Holywell, at the time of the Dissolution. Within the church are some gravestones of Knights Templars; and in the churchyard, which is ornamented with several fine yew-trees, are two singular tombstones with a bow sculptured upon each, and an ancient pillar or weeping-stone, from which the primitive chiefs and princes are said to have dispensed their judgments. The ancient mansion here in which the archdeacons of St. Asaph formerly resided was rebuilt, in 1799, for a parsonage-house, and was enlarged by the late, and considerably improved and beautified by the present incumbent. There are places of worship for dissenters; a small dame's-school, principally supported by the curate; and three Sunday schools, one of them in connexion with the Church. The charitable bequests are few: the principal is an annual sum of £2, bequeathed by Edward Jones in 1636, arising from the Bôdryddan estate in the neighbourhood, and which is distributed among the poor on St. Thomas's day. Parry, Bishop of St. Asaph, died at Dyserth in 1623.