Glyn-Amman - Granston

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis

Year published

1849

Supporting documents

Pages

385-388

Citation Show another format:

'Glyn-Amman - Granston', A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 385-388. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=47829 Date accessed: 21 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Glyn-Amman (Glyn-Amwyn)

GLYN-AMMAN (GLYN-AMWYN), a hamlet, in the parish and union of Llandilo-Vawr, Upper division of the hundred of Iscennen, county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 8¾ miles (S. E.) from Llandilo-Vawr; containing, in 1841, 302 inhabitants. It is situated on the south-eastern skirt of the Black Mountains; and the river Amman flows here, forming in one part of its course the boundaryline between Carmarthenshire and Glamorganshire. The district in which the hamlet lies is rich in mineral produce. At Cwmamman, in this vicinity, is a church, with a residence for the clergyman.— See Llandilo-Vawr, and Bettws.

Glyncaeryg (Glyn-Caerig)

GLYNCAERYG (GLYN-CAERIG), a hamlet, in the parish of Llanwrin, union and hundred of Machynlleth, county of Montgomery, North Wales, 5½ miles (N. E.) from Machynlleth: the population is returned with the parish. Some delightful views of the vale of the Dovey may be obtained from several parts of the hamlet.

Glyn-Collwyn

GLYN-COLLWYN, a chapelry, in the parish of Llanvigan, hundred of Pencelly, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 10 miles (S. S. E.) from Brecknock; containing 287 inhabitants. This place, the name of which signifies "the glen of hazel-wood," is pleasantly situated on the upper part of the small river Carvanell, which falls into the Usk at Tàl-y-Bont. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £1000 royal bounty; net income, £80; patron, the Rector of Llanvigan. A cairn in the chapelry was opened within the last half century by a person named Twm Bâch, who came to this place from North Wales, in the hope of finding treasure, to which he is said to have been prompted by reading some ancient Welsh verses. In the prosecution of his search a large cist was found, in which were various antiquities, but none of them were preserved, as the finder, disappointed in his expectations of a different kind of treasure, sold them to an itinerant Jew.

Glynconnon (Glyn-Cynon)

GLYNCONNON (GLYN-CYNON), a hamlet, in the parish of Llanwonno, union of Merthyr-Tydvil, hundred of Miskin, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 7¾ miles (S.) from Merthyr-Tydvil; containing 306 inhabitants. The Pont Cynon aqueduct, which conveys the Cardiff canal over the river Tâf, is situated at the eastern extremity of this hamlet, near where the Aberdare canal joins the Cardiff line at Navigation-House. Here, also, both the canal and the Tâf are crossed by the road from Cardiff to Aberdare, which proceeds along the vale of the Cynon, overhung in many places with majestic oaks and other lofty trees, and which, after crossing the Cynon river by an alpine bridge, enters the parish of Aberdare. Facility of communication is likewise afforded by the TâfVale railway, and the Aberdare railway; the latter line passes down the Cynon vale, parallel with the Aberdare canal and road. There are pleasing and ornamental residences in different places, especially in that portion of the hamlet which overlooks the valleys of the Tâf and the Cynon, the former bounding it on the east, and the latter on the northeast.

Glyn-Corwg

GLYN-CORWG, a parish, in the union and hundred of Neath, county of Glamorgan, South Wales; consisting of the chapelry of Blaen-Gwrach, and the township of Glyn-Corwg, each of which is separately assessed for the maintenance of its poor; and containing 634 inhabitants, of whom 136 are in the township, 10 miles (N. by E.) from Neath. This parish derives its name from the small river Corwg, which, after flowing through a portion of it, falls into the Avon. It is situated in the northern part of the county, and is very extensive, forming a wild and mountainous region of about 12,000 acres, surrounded by the parishes of Merthyr, Ystrad-Dyvodog, Cadoxton, Lantwit, and Llangonoyd. The parish comprises the highest mountains in Glamorganshire; and the striking aspect of its surface is in some parts greatly increased by woods and numerous projecting crags, the principal timber being oak and birch. In Blaen-Gwrach, through which flows the Neath river, is a lake called Llyn-Vâch, above half a mile in circumference; the parish contains an abundance of fine springs, and is watered by numerous brooks. In Blaen-Gwrach is also Ynislaes Cottage, a seat of the Earl of Dunraven, who is the principal landed proprietor. The soil is various, that of the summits of the mountains being peaty, and the sides gravelly, and in some places of an argillaceous texture. The portion of arable land is comparatively small, and the grain cultivated is chiefly oats, little wheat or barley being grown except near the river Neath; the more extensive mountainous districts are appropriated to the pasturage of sheep and young cattle during summer. In the mountains are found strata of bituminous coal, and in the lower portions of the parish, near the Vale of Neath, some of stone-coal and culm, from two to fifteen feet in thickness: these species of fuel are worked, and exported in large quantities by means of the Neath canal. Iron-ore is also worked in the Blaen-Gwrach portion of the parish.

The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Blaen-Gwrach annexed, the former endowed with £600 royal bounty and £200 parliamentary grant, and the latter with £800 royal bounty; net income, £89 a year; patron, Nash Vaughan Edwards Vaughan, Esq. The church, situated in the hamlet of GlynCorwg, is dedicated to St. John the Baptist; it is in the Elizabethan style, and measures seventy-two feet by twenty-four feet, containing about 150 sittings. In the churchyard are five remarkably fine yew-trees, one of which measures thirty feet four inches in girth. The chapel at Blaen-Gwrach is small, containing about fifty sittings only. There is a place of worship for Unitarians in the same part, and the Independents have a place of worship in the parish, with a Sunday school held in it. Connected with the Venallt coal and iron works are some day and Sunday schools, held in the Unitarian meetinghouse: the day school is supported by a payment of one penny per week from each man at the works, and is limited to no particular denomination; the Sunday school is supported by subscription, is also unrestricted, and is superintended by one of the proprietors of the concern. Upon the summit of Craigy-Llyn, the highest mountain in the county, is Carn Moesen or Moesa, a tumulus of loose stones: some consider it to have been placed there by the Druids as a beacon or landmark, while others think that it was merely raised for the purpose of marking the boundary between two parishes. Not far distant from it is Llΰn Vawr, a large pool nearly a mile in circumference.—See Blaen-Gwrach.

Glyn-Havren

GLYN-HAVREN, a township, in the parish of Llanidloes, union of Llanidloes and Newtown, Lower division of the hundred of Llanidloes, county of Montgomery, North Wales: the population is included in that returned for the parish. Three-fourths of the tithes are payable to the Dean and Chapter of Bangor, and the remaining fourth to the vicar of Llanidloes.

Glynrumney (Glyn-Rhymni)

GLYNRUMNEY (GLYN-RHYMNI), a hamlet, in the parish of Llanvabon, union of Merthyr-Tydvil, hundred of Caerphilly, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Caerphilly; containing 240 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the river Romney, over which is the bridge called Pont-yr-Ystrad, leading into Monmouthshire. The road from Caerphilly to Merthyr-Tydvil passes through a vale parallel with the river, the steep sides of which are well wooded, and adorned with a few respectable and agreeable residences. About a mile to the north-west is Llanbrodoch House, the ancient residence of the Thomases of Llanbrodoch, surrounded with a large grove of oak timber and fir trees; and near the bridge above mentioned is Ystrad House, a neat modern dwelling.

Glyn-Tâf

GLYN-TÂF, a hamlet, in the parish of Eglwysilan, union of Cardiff, hundred of Caerphilly, county of Glamorgan, South Wales; comprising part of the extensive and populous village of Newbridge, and containing, in 1841, 998 inhabitants. It is situated on the left bank of the river Tâf, where it is joined by the Rhondda, and affords very fine views up the vale of the latter. Manufactures are largely carried on, there being three extensive works in the hamlet. The road from Cardiff to MerthyrTydvil proceeds here between the river Tâf and the Cardiff canal, and within a few yards of both: the Tâf-Vale railway also passes in this vicinity. The bridge called Pont-y-Pridd, celebrated for the singularity of its architecture, crosses the steep banks of the river Tâf here. A very handsome church with a tower was built in the hamlet by public subscription, and opened for divine service on the 22nd of April, 1838, by the Rev. W. Leigh, vicar of the parish, by virtue of a license from the Bishop of Llandaf, who subsequently consecrated it with the churchyard on October 29th, 1839: it will afford accommodation to 1000 persons. The living was endowed by the Hon. R. H. Clive, and J. Bruce Pryce, Esq., with a sum of £400, and is in the gift of the Bishop.—See Newbridge.

Glyn-Tawe

GLYN-TAWE, county of Brecknock, South Wales.—See Capel-Callwen.

Glyn-Traian

GLYN-TRAIAN, one of the principal divisions of the parish of Llangollen, in the union of Corwen, Nant-heudwy division of the hundred of Chirk, county of Denbigh, North Wales, 2 miles (W.) from Llangollen; containing 951 inhabitants. It forms the upper part of the parish, where the mountains are high and bold, while the river Dee winds at their feet in such an irregular course, as to make the landscape assume a fresh appearance of pleasing and diversified beauty at every turn. Several agreeable residences are scattered over the district.—See Llangollen.

Glyntrêvnant (Glyn-Trêf-Nant)

GLYNTRÊVNANT (GLYN-TRÊF-NANT), a hamlet, in the parish of Trêveglwys, union of Newtown and Llanidloes, Upper division of the hundred of Llanidloes, county of Montgomery, North Wales, 5 miles (N.) from Llanidloes: the population is returned with the parish. It takes its name from the junction of three streams, which form the river Trêvnant.

Glynvâch (Glyn-Bâch)

GLYNVÂCH (GLYN-BÂCH), a township, in the parish of Llanigon, union of Hay, hundred of Talgarth, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 7¾ miles (S. by E.) from Hay; containing 59 inhabitants. This place, the name of which signifies "the little glen," forms the south-eastern part of the parish, and comprises a small valley among the Black Mountains of Talgarth, near the spot where the three counties of Brecknock, Hereford, and Monmouth unite. From the circumstance of its peculiar situation most probably originated that long-disputed question respecting the situation of the chapel in this township, called Capel y Vîn, or the "chapel of the boundary," which was argued at length in the Ecclesiastical Court in the year 1708, and was ultimately decided in favour of its being within Llanigon parish, to which all the witnesses concurred in stating it to have been originally a chapel of ease. In the narrow rocky vale that forms the chief portion of the township some corn is grown, but the lands are chiefly devoted to the pasturage of young cattle, and sheep. The surrounding scenery is varied, and in many parts highly picturesque. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £1000 royal bounty and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The chapel has been rebuilt within the last thirty years, at the expense of the parishioners. In this neighbourhood the last Prince of Brycheiniog is said to have died.

Godwidd (Gorwydd)

GODWIDD (GORWYDD), a township, in the parish of Llandewy-brevi, union of Trêgaron, Upper division of the hundred of Penarth, county of Cardigan, South Wales, 7½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Lampeter; containing 608 inhabitants. This is the most populous township of the parish, comprising the town of Llandewy-Brevi, with its church, and occupying the vale along which the stream whereon that town is situated flows into the Teivy, as well as the lofty mountain protecting it on the north and east. The total area is 2590 acres, of which 1500 are common or waste. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £100.

Gogoian

GOGOIAN, in the county of Cardigan, South Wales.—See Cugian.

Gollon, or Geulan

GOLLON, or GEULAN, a hamlet, forming that part of the parish of Abbey Cwm Hîr which is in the hundred of Knighton, in the union of Rhaiadr, county of Radnor, South Wales, 8 miles distant (N. E.) from the town of Rhaiadr; containing 450 inhabitants.

Golvtyn

GOLVTYN, a hamlet, in the parish of Northop, union of Holywell, Northop division of the hundred of Coleshill, county of Flint, North Wales, 4 miles (S. E.) from Flint; containing 402 inhabitants. In Domesday Book this township is called Ulfmilstone. It is situated on the estuary of the Dee, near the mouth of the new channel for that river, which was cut through the sands from Chester; and extends over a large portion of the sands, which are dry at low water, and capable of being brought into cultivation at a moderate expense. A large quay and pier were constructed here by the Irish Coal Company, from which vessels sail for Liverpool, London, Dublin, the ports of North and South Wales, and various parts of the world. A church called St. Mark's; National schoolrooms for boys and girls; and a parsonage-house, have been erected here. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists.—See Northop.

Gorycoed (Tor-Y-Coed)

GORYCOED (TOR-Y-COED), a hamlet, in the parish of Llangendeirn, hundred of Kidwelly, union and county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 6½ miles (S. E.) from Carmarthen; containing 231 inhabitants. The name signifies "the extremity of the wood," from which it may be inferred that the neighbourhood formerly abounded with trees. Mynydd Llangendeirn, an abrupt and irregular mountain, is situated between this hamlet and that of Kîlcarw.

Gourton

GOURTON, a township, in the parish and union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh, North Wales, 2½ miles (E. N. E.) from Wrexham; containing 51 inhabitants. This township is situated on the road between Holt and Wrexham, and consists of the respectable mansion of Gourton Hall, and a few farms.

Goytre (Coed-Trêf)

GOYTRE (COED-TRÊF), a hamlet, in the parish of Llannon, union of Llanelly, hundred of Carnawllon, county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 15 miles (S. E.) from Carmarthen: the population is returned with the parish. It forms the south-western portion of the parish, and contains about 3000 acres.

Graig (Craig)

GRAIG (CRAIG), with Swydd, a hamlet, in the parish of Llandegley, union of Kington, hundred of Kevenllece, county of Radnor, South Wales, 9½ miles (E.) from Rhaiadr; containing 225 inhabitants. In this hamlet is Cevn Craig, a very elevated mountain, rising 2163 feet above the level of the sea. The road from New Radnor to Rhaiadr passes near the base of the mountain, which formed part of the ancient forest of Radnor.

Granston

GRANSTON, a parish, in the union of Haverfordwest, hundred of Dewisland, county of Pembroke, South Wales, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Fishguard; containing 164 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the north-western part of the county, and within a short distance of the coast of St. George's Channel. It is intersected by the turnpike-road leading from Fishguard to St. David's, and is watered by a small stream, which, after flowing through it, falls into the sea near Aberbâch. The scenery is not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature, though from the higher grounds some good views are obtained over the Channel and the adjacent country. Tregwynt, the ancient mansion of the family of Harries, a branch of that seated at Priskilly, is within the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, rated in the king's books at £6. 8. 11½., and having the vicarages of Mathrey and St. Nicholas' annexed, in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's; net income, £316, with a glebe-house. A portion of the tithes of Granston belongs to a lay impropriator, whose claim has been commuted for a rent-charge of £17, and the portion connected with the vicarage for one of £50, to which is attached a glebe of fourteen acres, valued at £7 per annum. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, is a plain edifice, containing some good mural tablets, erected to members of the Priskilly family, of whom several were interred here. There is a large place of worship for Baptists, with a Sunday school held in it.



<--Previous:
Gelly - Glyn