II
Grant of toft or building site to the Abbey of Melrose (1179-99)

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

J.D. Marwick (editor)

Year published

1894

Page

5

Citation Show another format:

'II: Grant of toft or building site to the Abbey of Melrose (1179-99)', Charters and Documents relating to the City of Glasgow 1175-1649: Part 2 (1894), pp. 5. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=47932 Date accessed: 28 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

II. Grant by Joceline Bishop of Glasgow to the Abbey of Melrose of a toft or building site in the Burgh of Glasgow. A.D. 1179–99.

[Latin text]

Jocelinus Dei gracia Glasguensis Episcopus, vniuersis Sancte Matris Ecclesie filiis, tam posteris quam presentibus, salutem in Christo. Sciatis nos dedisse et concessisse et hac carta nostra confirmasse Deo et Ecclesie Sancte Marie de Maylros, et monachis ibidem Deo seruientibus, in liberam et perpetuam elemosinam, illud toftum in burgo de Glasgu quod Ranulfus de Hadintun edificauit in prima edificatione burgi, ad opus domus de Maylros, ita plenarie sicut illud edificauit et tenuit. Quare volumus ut predicti monachi de Maylros teneant et possideant predictum toftum ita libere et quiete sicut ipsi aliquam elemosinam liberius et quietius tenent et possident. His testibus: Hugone abbate de Neubotle, Symone archidiacono Glasguensi, Helia, magistro Johanne, Helia, Philippo, Beda, Engelramo, Herberto, canonicis de Glasgu, Willelmo et Waltero clericis episcopi, Alano dapifero regis, Erkembaldo de Duueglas, Roberto de Mungumbri, Hugone de Paduinan, Alexandro senescaldo episcopi.

[Translation]

Jocelin, by the grace of God Bishop of Glasgow, to all the sons of Holy Mother Church, present and to come, greeting in Christ. Know that we have given and granted, and by this our charter confirmed, to God and the church of Saint Mary of Maylros, and to the monks serving God there, in free and perpetual alms, that toft in the burgh of Glasgow which Ranulf of Hadintun built, in the first building of the burgh, to the use of the house of Maylros, as fully as he built and held it. Wherefore we will that the aforesaid monks of Maylros hold and possess the aforesaid toft as freely and quietly as they most freely and quietly hold and possess any alms. Before these witnesses : Hugh abbot of Neubotle, Symon archdeacon of Glasgu, Helias, Master John, Helias, Philip, Bede, Engelram, Herbert, cannons of Glasgu, William and Walter clerks of the bishop, Alan the King's steward, Erkembald of Duueglas, Robert of Mungumbri, Hugh of Paduinan, Alexander the bishop's steward.