Supplementary Records
Old Hutton and New Hutton

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

John F. Curwen (editor)

Year published

1926

Pages

119-121

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Supplementary Records: Old Hutton and New Hutton', Records relating to the Barony of Kendale: volume 3 (1926), pp. 119-121. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=49349 Date accessed: 18 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

OLD HUTTON AND NEW HUTTON.

1630 William Whitwell late curate of Old Hutton was buried 4 September 1630. Kendal Parish Registers.

1646 A Ministerial Augmentation was granted to Old Hutton on 2 September, 1646:—"Yearly sum of 30li for the increase of said Minister as Committee shall approve."

1653 Whereas there is exceeding great want of a preaching Minister att Old Hutton, it is therefore ordered that the tithes of Preston Patricke, parcel of the Rectory of Burton, sequestrated for the delinquency of Sir John Preston, and the tithes of Crackenthorpe in lease from the late Dean and Chapter of Carlisle be settled upon Roger Bateman, Esq., and the churchwardens of Old Hutton to and for the maintenance of a godly and able minister.

1655 5 October. Upon the representation of James Greenwood, clerk, Minister of Old Hutton, setting forth sundry misdemeaners of Thomas Hunter an alehouse keeper in the constablewick . . . . . . Since by an order of last Sessions he was discharged from brewing and fined in 20s., it is ordered that as the said Hunter is very poor that the fine be lessened to 3s. 4d. And it is further ordered that the constable discharge the said Hunter from brewing and carry him forthwith before John Archer, esq., to enter recognisance with good sureties not to brew any more for three years, etc. K. Indict. Book, as quoted in The Ejected of 1662.

1671 6 October. Henry Wilson, esq., presents the highway adjoining St. Sunanday's bridge, both in Old and New Hutton as being in great decay. K. Indictment Book, 1669–1692.

1686 16 April. This Court being informed that St. Sunondays Bridge (wooden) is in ruin and decay and that it doth belong to the inhabitants of New Hutton to repair: ordered that they sufficiently repair the same betwixt now and the next Sessions, and that New Hutton and Ould Hutton doe repaire the Cawsey on either side of the bridge soe as a horse may be led over it, upon paine of forfeiture of £10. K. Indictment Book, 1669-92; also K. Order Book, 1669–96.

1687 I gave a license to Mr. Edward Nicholson to supply the chapel of Old Hutton." Bishop Cartwright's Diary for 15 August, 1687.

1696 14 July. Edward Nicholson, curate of Old Hutton, signed the anti-Jacobite "Association" formed throughout the Kingdom, for the protection of William III. K. Indict. Book, 1692–1724.

1701 17 January. Order that the inhabitants of New Hutton repair a footbridge there which is in decay so that the King's liege people may pass and repass over the same without danger. K. Order Book, 1696–1724.

1707 10 October. Presentment that the highway leading from K. Kendall to K. Lonsdale, in a place called Hutton Loaning, is in great decay, and that the inhabitants of New Hutton and Old Hutton ought to repair the same. K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724.

1709 7 October. An Indictment and Order to repair that part of St. Sundayes bridge and causeway belonging to New Hutton. (K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724). On 11 July, 1710, there was a further Order that the inhabitants shall sufficiently repair St. Sunday bridge in New Hutton and part of the causey at the end thereof. (Ibid). Again on 6 October following the Order was reissued for the repair of St. Sundayes bridge and causeway, being very ruinous, before Christmas next, and if the inhabitants that ought to repair the same desire to make it a stone bridge they shall have time to do so until Midsummer Sessions next; the bridge whether of wood or stone to be 8 ft. broad at the least. K. Order Book, 1696–1724.

1711 20 July. The inhabitants of New Hutton having sufficiently repaired of St. Sunday's Bridge and the causeway, and by reason of the smallness of the hamlet are not able to pay the whole charge; order to the high constable to pay them £5, but this to be in no way prejudicial to the county for the future, nor to be drawn into precedent for granting charity money for repair of either that or any other private bridge. K. Order Book, 1696–1724.

1714/5 14 January. Certificate delivered into Court by the people called Quakers that they have a Meeting place for religious worship at Jos. Atkinson's at Crackhall in New Hutton. K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724.

1750/51 18 January. Presentment that from time whereof the memory of man is not to the contrary there was and yet is a certain common and ancient king's highway leading between the market towns of Burton and K. Kendale, and that a certain part of the same, beginning at a place called Eelingwray and ending at a place called Greenfoot, containing 500 yards in length and 3 yards in breadth, is very ruinous, miry, deep broken and in decay, etc., and that the inhabitants of Old Hutton ought to repair and amend it when and so often as need shall require. K. Indictment Book, 1750–60.

1751 26 October. Petition of the Surveyors of highways within the township of Old Hutton and Homescales setting forth that they had been at great expense in the payment of a fine laid upon the inhabitants for the defects of a certain highway within the said township, upon a travers tried and found against them, and also for money necessarily expended in the carrying on and trying the said travers and praying to be reimbursed; it is ordered that an assessment by equal pound rate be made and levied upon the several inhabitants, owners and occupiers, etc. K. Order Book, 1750–60.

1795 16 January. Rev. John Shaw of Old Hutton, clerk, bound over in £40, with Jos. Symson of K. Kendale, mercer, his surety in £30, concerning Sarah Ward of Mansergh, singlewoman, bastardy. K. Order and Indictment Book, 1786–98.

1818 11 January. Presentment that St. Sundays Bridge over the river Hutton Beck in the king's highway leading from the market town of K. Kendal to the market town of K. Lonsdale is in great decay, etc., and ought to be repaired at the expense of the county. (K. Indict. Book, 1817–24). Note it has become a public bridge since the last reference to it under date 20 July, 1711. On the Roll of the Sessions held on 15 April, 1822, is filed a certificate that St. Sunday's Bridge was erected and completed in a substantial and commodious manner. Ibid.

1827 8 January. Filed the certificate of Edw. Tomlinson, Bridge Master, that Middleshaw Bridge and Hutton Bridge in Old Hutton, and Strickley Bridge in New Hutton are erected in a substantial and commodious manner and are in complete repair. (K. Indict Book, 1824–34). Each being on the Oxenholme to K. Lonsdale road.

1829 New Hutton chapel was built in 1739, rebuilt in 1828 and reopened on 18 January, 1829 by the Rev. John Sampson, incumbent.

1842 3 January. Rev. Francis Whalley took and subscribed the oaths on being instituted to the Perpetual Curacy of Old Hutton. K. Order Book, 1839–76.

1862 17 October. Rev. William Pearson likewise on his appointment to New Hutton. K. Minute Book, 1859–75.

1867 4 July. Report that Middleshaw Bridge was originally built of unwrought cobbles which are constantly dropping out. Also that the arch is too small to carry the water in flood time. On the 17 October following the surveyor reported the entire rebuilding of this bridge. Ibid.