Supplementary Records
Whinfell

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

John F. Curwen (editor)

Year published

1926

Page

126

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Supplementary Records: Whinfell', Records relating to the Barony of Kendale: volume 3 (1926), pp. 126. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=49353 Date accessed: 19 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

WHINFELL.

1692 12 July. Petition of the hamlet of Whinfell that Sweet Bridge between Grayrigg and Whinfell is very much decayed and ought to be repaired by the two townships. Ordered that it be equally repaired betwixt the said hamlets. On 7 October following, the Grayrigg moiety was ordered to be restored as it appears to this Court that the inhabitants of Grayrigg ought not to be chargeable. K. Order Book, 1669–96.

1696 24 April. The following, being suspected persons, have neglected or refused to make and subscribe the Declaration and take the Oaths: Walter Nicholson, James Denyson, Robert Helme, Lanclott Machell and Thomas Nicholson, in Whinfell. (K. Indictment Book 1692–1724). See Docker under same date.

1715 William Helme of Workington, a nonjuror, owned a freehold house called "Staney" in Whinfell, valued at £12. English Catholic Nonjurors of 1715.

1724/5 January. Presentment that Rossell Bridge between Whinfell and Selside, formerly a wooden bridge and lately fallen down, ought to be rebuilt by the inhabitants of Whinfell, Whitwell and Selside. K. Indict. Book, 1692–1724.

1893 25 January. Sweet Bridge. The Sub-Committee considered that a permanent bridge is much needed; the wooden foot bridge is but lately replaced, having been washed away by a heavy flood last year. We think that the County Council might very properly grant £25 towards a substantial bridge. C. C. Minutes, 1889–94.