1291 2 November. Commission to William de Lancaster, rector of
Grasmere, to absolve the parishioners of Kendal for having paid their
tithes to Alan de Easingwold, who had been excommunicated, instead
of to Walter of Maidstone the new rector of a mediety. (Surtees Socy.
vol. 123, p. 348). On 9 April, 1294, a commission was issued to Sir
Walter de Maydenstan, rector of a mediety of the church of Kirkebyin-Kendale, and William de Kendale, rector of the chapel of Gresemer
(Ibid., 351). As a member of the de Lancaster family and yet
being domiciled in Kendal this may well be but a different surname
for the same rector.
Archbishop Zouche issued a commission for the dedication of a
churchyard at Grasmere on 3 March, 1348/9. Reg. Zouche, ff. 71,
30 December. Hugh de Middleton presented to the church of
Gresemer by the abbot and convent of St. Mary's. (Reg. of Arch. of
Richmond, Yorks. Arch Socy., vol. 25, p. 170). The parochial chapels
of Grasmere and Windermere, nominally subordinate to Kendal,
had their own rectors nominated by the lord of the moiety of the
manor of Kendal to which they were appendant, for presentation by
the abbot and convent who were patrons of the vicarage of the
29 July. License to Walter de Hoton, rector of the church of
Grasmere to be absent. His estate in the rectory was ratified on
13 January, 1400/1. Cal. Pat. Rolls, 1399–1401, p. 373.
1433 to 1439. On 24 May, 1433, Master Peter Irford, Prof. of Theology,
was presented to the church of Grasmere, by the abbot and convent,
vacant by the death of Reginald Pulhom. (Reg. Arch. of Richmond).
He was rector from 1433 to 1439 and died as archdeacon of Stow in
1451. (Le Neve, ii, 79). On 10 February, 1438/9, Master George
Plumpton was presented by the abbot and convent at the nomination
of Henry VI. (Cal. Pat. Rolls., 1436–41, p. 320) vacant by the
resignation of Peter Irford. Reg. Arch. of Richmond.
Rural Deanery of Kendall. Rectory of the church of Grysmer.
William Hogill, incumbent.
The aforesaid Rectory is worth in:—
|Rent of a Close in the same place per annum
|Tithe of grain and hay
|Tithe of wool and lamb
|Lesser and Private tithes, oblations and others as in the Easter Book
|Reprisals to wit,
|Annual pension to the Lord Abbot of the Monastery of St. Mary of York
|A tenth part whereof
Valor Ecclesiasticus, vol. 5, p. 267.
21 January. The Will of William Jackson, "clarke and curate of
Grysmer" bears this date. Richmondshire Wills, Surtees Socy., vol.
26, p 227.
Among the contributions from the clergy to the king towards
the recovery of the Palatinate of the Rhine, Mr. Fleming rector of
Grasmere paid nothing in 1622, but in the same year Mr. Wilson vicar
of Grasmere paid £1. In 1624 Henry Wilson as rector of Grasmere
paid a Subsidy of £3 4s. In 1639 Henry Wilson as rector paid a
contribution of 13s. 4d. in aid of the war against the Scots. Lanc.
and Cheshire Record Society, vol. xii, pp. 69, 70, 81, 124.
16 November. Bond of Henry Wilson of Grasmere, clerk, and two
others severally in £20 to Col. James Bellingham, that the said
Henry Wilson shall appear and render his body into the hands of the
Provost Marshall at Kendal at the end of twenty days next after the
date hereof, and in the meantime shall not travel forth of the County
of Westmorland, nor hold any intelligence nor send any message by
word or writing to any of that party now in arms against the parliament, but in all things demean himself well, and not endeavour in any
wise to seduce or withdraw the affections of any of his parishioners
or others from the service of the King and Parliament. Attested by
James Bellingham, Thomas Brathwaite and Thomas Kilner. Kendal
Corporation Deeds, bundle C., 4.
1686/7. 14 March. Henry Fleming writing to Sir Daniel Fleming approves of the model of the proposed parsonage house at Grasmere.
Hist. MSS. Com., 12th Rep., 203.
14 July. Henry Fleming, rector of Ashby and Grasmere, signed
the anti-Jacobite "Association," formed throughout the Kingdom,
for the protection of William III. K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724.
16 April. Presentment that Dunmail Raise Bridge, a public bridge
is very ruinous; order to the chief constable to view and contract for
the rebuilding thereof, not exceeding £5, but if more to give an
estimate. K. Order Book, 1696–1724.
1710 11 July. Edward Harryson of Langdale Head, yeo. indicted for
stealing a wether sheep of Mich. Gregg's at Grasmere; ordered to be
whipped and stocked. K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724.
1712 2 May. Order to the chief constable to repair White Bridge in
Grasmere. And yet on 9 April, 1714, the bridge was again presented
as being very dangerous; order to the high constable to view and
contract. (K. Order Book, 1696–1724). His specification is fully set
out in Browne MSS., vol. ii, n. 43.
1727 7 August. Robert Robinson of Nether Hartsop in Patterdale
entered into a bond to pull down all and every part of the common and
county bridge called and known by the name of Stock Bridge near
Grasmere Townend at the entrance into Grasmere Field, a great part
thereof is now fallen down and the remainder being in great decay and
very dangerous, And erect and build a new firm stone bridge in the
same place to consist of one arch of at least 5 yards betwixt the
springers and four yards broad under the arch to be shot over with
good choice stones called penn stones (fn. 1) and when keyed to be filled and
covered with strong pouring or pottage mortar made of hot lime.
The battlements to be 12 inches in thickness and 2 ft. 6 inches high
above the pavement, etc. And to maintain, uphold and keep the
same in good and sufficient repair for seven years. The contract cost
being £4. Browne MSS., vol. iii, n. 195; vol. xv, 188.
1730/1 15 January. In pursuance of an Order made at this General
Quarter Sessions for the high constable to view the common highways
and to make a report upon the state and condition of the same,
Benjamin Browne reported that the way from Whitemoss-foot to the
Raise gate was a very narrow road. Browne MSS., vol. i, n. 220.
1730/1 15 January. Order to the high constable to contract for the
repair or rebuilding of Grasmere Church Bridge which is ruinous.
(K. Order Book, 1725–37). On 26 April following Robert Robinson
agreed to pull down all and every part of the common or county
bridge called and known by the name of Grasmere Church Bridge, and
erect in the same place a new firm stone bridge to consist of two bends
or arches, the one arch next the church to be 13 yards between the
springers and the other arch next to the Townend to be 4 yards at
least, the width to be 5 yards under the arches. And the arches to
be shot over, and the battlements to be (as above). To finish and
complete the work on or before 1 July next ensuing, and from time to
time as often as shall be needful and requisite well and sufficiently
repair maintain and uphold the said intended new bridge for and
during the term of seven years, etc. On 2 July, 1731, Robert Robinson, free mason, gave receipt for £25 being the remainder of £40 the
price for the new building of the bridge. Browne MSS., vol. i, n. 236;
ii, n. 211; xv, n. 242.
1745/6 7 January. Order that the two high constables view Smiddy
Bridge and report the condition thereof at the next Sessions. K.
Order Book, 1738-50.
1768 11 January. Presentment that Dunmail Raise Bridge is one of the
public bridges and that the said bridge and 6 feet on the north end
and 6 feet at the south end is in great decay, etc., and that the same
ought to be repaired at the public expense of the County. Ordered
that the two high constables forthwith view the same and report upon
the condition at the next Sessions. K. Indictment Book, 1760–70.
Also that Smithy Bridge in Grasmere is one of the public bridges
and that the said bridge and 6 feet at either end of it is in great decay,
etc. and ought to be repaired at the expense of the county. Order to
the two high constables to view and report the condition at the next
Sessions. (Ibid.). On the 11 April following an order was issued to
the high constables to forthwith contract for the repair of these two
bridges. (K. Order Book, 1760–70). On 9 January, 1769, they were
both certified as in good and sufficient repair. Ibid.
1776 15 April. Presentment that White Bridge in Grasmere is one of
the public bridges and in great decay and ought to be repaired at the
expense of the county. Ordered that the two high constables view
and report the condition thereof at the next Sessions. K. Indict.
1790 15 January. Presentment that both the Church and Stock Bridge
in Grasmere, and 300 ft. of the roads at the ends of each, are in great
decay and ought to be repaired at the public expense of co. Westmorland. K. Order and Indictment Book, 1786–98.
1806 10 October. Rev. Tho. Jackson, rector of Grasmere, took the oath
of allegiance. K. Order and Indictment Book, 1798–1811.
1823 14 July. Conviction of William Wilson for that he did dam up a
certain old water course in a field belonging to him at Grasmere,
called Gill Bank field thereby wilfully causing damage to the land of
John Fletcher adjoining and known by the name of the Holme.
K. Indict. Book, 1817–24.
1827 13 July. Ordered that Mr. Braithwaite do widen and repair
Smithy Bridge. K. Order Book, 1824–34.
1840 6 April. Ordered that the Church Bridge be rebuilt according to
the plan produced and that the Bridge Master do advertise for tenders.
K. Order Book, 1839–76.
1845 3 January. Presentment that White Bridge is very ruinous,
broken, dangerous and in great decay, etc., and that a certain part of
the Queen's highway to wit, a certain part thereof lying and adjoining
the north-west end of the said bridge of 300 feet and in breadth 5 yards
and a certain other part next adjoining the south-east end of the said
bridge of 300 feet and in breadth 5 yards, also is ruinous, etc. and that
the inhabitants of the county ought to repair the same. (K. Indict,
Book, 1839–52). Resolved that the plans for the rebuilding of White
Bridge be submitted to the justices of the district and if approved by
them that the Bridge be rebuilt. K. Order Book, 1839–76.
1849 19 October. Certificate that the house of Robert Hayton, situate
at Score Cragg, in the parish of Grasmere is intended forthwith to be
used as a place of Religious Worship by an assembly or congregation
of Protestants. K. Minute Book, 1839–59.
1857 23 October. Ordered that Smithy Bridge be rebuilt and the
approaches thereto widened and improved, according to the plans
now produced at a cost not exceeding £100. K. Order Book, 1839–76.
1863 9 January. Rev. Edward Jefferies took the usual oaths and
subscribed the Declaration on his appointment to the rectory of
Grasmere. K. Minute Book, 1859–75.
1870 20 October. Report upon Stock and Church Bridges at Grasmere.
'We find that the plan prepared by Mr. Fleming involves the widening of Stock Bridge, which is now 15 feet within the parapets, to about
30 feet and the widening of the approaches to it and Church Bridge
from about 20 feet to 30 feet or thereabouts, partly by purchase of
adjoining land and partly by an exchange of part of the present road
for a part of the Churchyard .... We greatly approve of the
suggestion . . . but we consider the matter a local affair which ought
to be met chiefly by the Township. On the whole we recommend that
if the works are all completed by the Local Committee, the cost of
widening Stock Bridge, which is estimated at £40 should be undertaken by the Court, and a further limited sum, say £25, be granted
towards the approaches to both bridges. Resolved that this Court
agrees to pay the sum of £65 towards the whole expenses. K.
Minute Book, 1859–75.
1902 26 February. Report that Goody Bridge is awkwardly situate
with regard to the approaches on either side and that the waterway is
low and insufficient to take the water in times of flood. And that
although it could be repaired there was a strong feeling that a new
skew bridge in a better position with regard to the approaches should
be built. Recommended that the County Council give a grant of
£100 towards the cost on condition that the waterway is made 24 ft.
6 ins. and the roadway 18 ft. in width. C.C. Minutes, 1902–3.
1907 15 March. Resolved that the surveyor be authorized to expend
the sum of £150 on the widening of Raise Bridge. He reported that
the existing bridge is only 12 ft. 3 inches between the parapets, and
narrow as it is, it is yet a double one consisting of an ancient packhorse bridge with a subsequent addition. To make it more convenient to the approaches he proposed to skew the additional work,
i.e. by adding 6 ft. 4 ins. to the north-east corner, 3 ft. 6 ins. to the
south-east corner, 5 ft. 6 ins. to the south-west corner and 2 ft. 8 ins.
to the north-west corner, which will give a width of roadway between
the parapets of 20 ft. 8 ins. On 13 November following the work was
reported as complete. C.C. Minutes, 1907–8.