Myatt's Fields, Denmark Hill and Herne Hill
Camberwell New Road

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

F. H. W. Sheppard (General Editor)

Year published

1956

Supporting documents

Pages

145-146

Citation Show another format:

'Myatt's Fields, Denmark Hill and Herne Hill: Camberwell New Road', Survey of London: volume 26: Lambeth: Southern area (1956), pp. 145-146. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=49776 Date accessed: 31 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CAMBERWELL NEW ROAD

Camberwell New Road, was a Turnpike road authorized by Act of Parliament in 1818. A large number of uninteresting two- and three-storey stock brick terrace houses were built along either side of the road during the course of the next twenty years. Those which were built on the Lambeth Wick Estate are described on pages 116–117, and the remainder of the houses which are within the borough of Lambeth are dealt with here. Part of the road is in the borough of Camberwell, and the houses facing that part of the road are not included in this volume.

Nos. 185, 187, 189; 191–199 (odd); 201–205 (odd); 207–223 (odd) Camberwell New Road

Formerly Nos. 11 and 12 South Place, Clifton Cottage; 1–5 (consec.) Clifton Place North; 1–3 (consec.) Victoria Place; 9–1 (consec.) Chancery Place.

All these houses were erected between 1830 and 1840; (ref. 37) only No. 189 has any distinction (Plate 55d). It is a double-fronted house of two storeys with a stock brick front of charming design. The entrance, flanked by Greek Doric columns, is set in a stucco channelled surround with an arched head. The windows of both storeys are set in arched recesses joined by plain impost bands. Above the first-floor windows the wall face is adorned by shaped panels of stucco containing the name “CLIFTON COTTAGE’ and the date “1833”. The parapet has a cornice and blocking course.

Nos. 154–166 (even); 168–198 (even); 200–228 (even) Camberwell New Road

Formerly Nos. 7–1 (consec.) Norfolk Place; 1–16 (consec.) Clifton Place; 1–15 (consec.) Chepstow Place

On the south side of the road between Vassall and Lothian Roads are a number of uninteresting two-and three-storey houses. Nos.154–166 were erected between 1824 and 1830. (ref. 37) Nos. 168–198 were all built before 1840; six of them were already completed in 1830. (ref. 37)

Between Lothian and Flodden Roads Nos. 200–204 were erected between 1837 and 1839, and Nos. 206–210 were erected in 1835–6. (ref. 38) Together they form two groups of three with the cornice and blocking course of the end houses at a slightly lower level. Nos. 202–208 are unified by a continuous sill-band on the first floor and by the linking of the moulded imposts of the ground floor doorways and windows. The houses have fluted quadrant reveals to the doorways with mutule transoms, and the long landings before the entrances have anthemion-ornamented cast-iron railings. No. 212 was erected in 1826–7. (ref. 38) It is a severe and well-proportioned three-storey house with semi-basement and flanked by single-storey wings. The wings and main façade are finished with stone cornices and blocking courses. The recessed elliptical-headed doorway and window in each wing and the three round-headed windows between them, are linked by impost bands. The entrance doorway has plain wooden Doric columns. No. 214 was erected in 1830–2, Nos. 216 and 218 in 1839–40, Nos. 220 and 222 in 1836–7, and Nos. 224–228 in 1830–2. (ref. 38) No. 224 is a detached two-storey house; the remainder have three storeys and semi-basements.

St. John the Apostle Junior Mixed and Infants‘ School, Warham Street

This school was opened on August 5, 1872, (ref. 39) in premises in James (now Warham) Street; (ref. 39) the original buildings accommodated 400 children. (ref. 40) A number of later additions have been made (ref. 41) including the three-storey red brick and Portland stone front to Camberwell New Road. Part of the buildings are now occupied by St. Michael and All Angels‘ Secondary Modern School.

References

37. R.B.
38. Rate Books of St. Giles, Camberwell, in custody of the Town Clerk of Camberwell Metropolitan Borough Council.
39. N.S. File.
40. Fifty Years at St. John the Divine, Kennington, ed. Canon Down, N.D., p. 43.
41. Ch.C., vol. IV, pp. 609–610.