The Ladbroke estate
Select list of lessors and lessees

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

F. H. W. Sheppard (General Editor)

Year published

1973

Supporting documents

Pages

251-257

Citation Show another format:

'The Ladbroke estate: Select list of lessors and lessees', Survey of London: volume 37: Northern Kensington (1973), pp. 251-257. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=49878 Date accessed: 20 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

SELECT LIST OF BUILDING LESSORS AND LESSEES ON THE LADBROKE ESTATE

Except where otherwise stated, the dates refer to the years in which the leases were granted: these are not always the date of actual building. Lessors' and lessees' addresses are given only for those resident outside Kensington. Many houses are not included owing to lack of evidence. The chief source is the Middlesex Land Register in the Greater London Record Office at County Hall.

Arundel Gardens, north side

2–50 even Nos. 2–14 built by Edwin Ware, builder, 1862–3. Other houses in this range built by G. W. Simmonds, Leonard Cowling and—Humphreys, 1863.

Arndel Gardens, south side

1–47 odd 21 of these 24 houses built by William Wheeler, builder, 1863. Nos. 43–47 demolished.

Blenheim Crescent, north side

36 C. H. Blake to George Drew, architect, 1864.
62–66 even Blake, by direction of Charles Chambers, timber merchant, to J. S. C. Small, plasterer, 1863.
68–78, 92–98 even Blake by direction of Chambers to Thomas Wesson, builder, 1863–4. Nos. 96, 98 demolished.
80, 82 Blake by direction of Chambers to John Burton of Cornhill, builder, 1863.

Blenheim Crescent, south side

53 Chambers to Richard Crowley, builder, 1863.
55–73 odd Chambers to Thomas May, surveyor, 1863.
75, 77 Chambers by direction of May to Alfred and George Secrett, builders, 1863.
79, 81 Chambers to John Scoley, builder, 1863.
83, 85 Blake to Chambers, 1862.
87–91 odd Blake by direction of Chambers to Henry Heard, licensed victualler, 1862.
93–115 odd Blake by direction of Chambers to Wesson, 1862–2.
117–127 odd Blake by direction of Chambers to Benjamin Reynolds, builder, 1861.
129–135 odd blake by direction of Chambers to Wesson, 1861.
137 Sold freehold by Blake to Chambers, 1862.

Camelford Road

Built under leases from Stephen Phillips, merchant, to J. V. Scantlebury of Paddington, builder, 1864–5. Demolished.

Chepstow Villas, north side

54–62 even Built by of for Thomas Pocock of Bartholomew Close, City, solicitor, 1851.

Chepstow Villas, south side

35–41 odd Built by or for Pocock, 1850–1.

Clarendon Road, east side

2–10 even J. W. Ladbroke by direction of William John Drew, builder, to William Liddard, gentleman, 1845.
12, 14 J. W. Ladbroke by direction of Drew to Thomas Allason, architect, 1845.
16–26 even J. W. Ladbroke to Richard Roy, solicitor, to William Reynolds, builder, 1844. Probably designed by James Thomson, architect.
28–58 even J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to Reynolds, 1846.
60–66 even Roy by direction of Reynolds to H. P. Bruyeres of Junior United Service Club, 1846. Nos. 60, 62 demolished.
68–76 even C. H. Blake to Thomas Holmes, builder, 1851. Perhaps designed by William Sim, surveyor or architect.
78 Blake to H. W. Smith, builder, 1851. Perhaps designed by Sim.
90–110 even Dr. Samuel Walker to William C. Gazeley of Camden Town, builder, 1853.
112–120 even Dr. Walker to Gazeley, 1853. Leased again by Blake to Charles Chambers, timber merchant, 1861. Nos. 114–120 demolished.
122–126 even Stephen Phillips, merchant, to Gazeley, 1852.
128–142 even Phillips to William Pilbeam, builder, 1852–5.

Clarendon Road, west side

1–5 odd J. W. Ladbroke by direction of Drew to Liddard, 1841. Demolished.
7–11 odd J. W. Ladbroke to Drew, who mortgaged to Allason, 1840. Demolished.
13, 15 J. W. Ladbroke to Drew, 1840.
17–21 odd J. W. Ladbroke by direction of Drew to Liddard, 1845.
23–29 odd J. W. Ladbroke by direction of Drew to Allason, 1845.
31–39 odd J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to Reynolds, 1844. Probably designed by James Thomson, architect.
41–75 odd J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to Reynolds, 1845.
77, 79, 85 J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to Reynolds, 1846. Nos. 77, 79 demolished.
81, 83 J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to Bruyeres, 1846. Reynolds probably involved. Demolished.
87, 95, 97, 103, 105 Phillips to Reynolds, 1849. Nos. 103, 105 demolished.
99, 101 Phillips to Joseph Helling, plumber, 1852. No. 101 demolished.
107–119 odd Phillips to Thomas Pocock, solicitor, 1852. Partly demolished. Also, same to same, 1855, of some 24 houses now demolished for Nottingwood House and Allom House.
195–207 odd and most of this island site Phillips to J. V. Scantlebury of Paddington, builder, 1860–1.

Cornwall Crescent, north side

2–18 even C. H. Blake to G. and T. Goodwin, builders, 1864. Partly demolished.
44, 46 Stephen Phillips, merchant, to John Calverley, builder, 1862.
48–82 even Phillips to Charles Thompson of Paddington and/or Islington, builder, 1861–2. Nos. 72–82 demolished.

Cornwall Crescent, south side

3–7, 33–39 odd, 61 Blake to P. R. Baker, builder, 1864–6.
9, 15–31 odd Blake to C. A. Kellond of Paddington, bubilder, 1864.
11 Blake to F., E. and B. Bramwell of St. Pancras, stone and marble merchants, 1864.
13 Blake to W. N. Mitchell, 1864.
41, 59 Blake to J. S. C. Small, plasterer, 1864–5.
43–49 odd, 53, 57 Blake to John Scoley, builder, 1864–5.
51 Blake to C. Yates, 1864.
55 Blake to H. Newton, carpenter, 1864.
63 Blake to Thomas Wesson, builder, 1864.
65 Blake to J. Phillips, carpenter, 1864.
67 Blake to W. Scantlebury, builder, 1864.
69 Blake to J. Redman of Duke Street, Mayfair, bootmaker, 1864.
71, 73 Blake to F. Gilder, builder, 1864.
75–81 odd Blake to Thompson, 1862 (79 and 81 now demolished).

Elgin Crescent, north side

50–56 even C. H. Blake to Edwin Ware of Paddington, builder, 1862.
58–120 even Dr. Samuel Walker to Henry Malcolm Ramsay, builder, 1852. Completed 1858

Elgin Crescent, south side

17–47 odd Dr. Walker to Robert Russell, builder, 1852.
63–67 odd Probably built by J. D. Cowland, builder, c. 1863.
69–115 odd Dr. Walker to William Sim, builder or architect, 1852. Completed c. 1860.
117–145 odd Blake to David Allan Ramsay of Brompton, nurseryman, 1851. Perhaps designed by Sim.
147 Blake to Charles Preedy of Islington, builder, 1851. Perhaps designed by Allom or by Sim.
149–153 odd Blake to H. W. Smith, builder, 1851. Perhaps designed by Allom, or by Sim.

Holland Park Avenue, north side

2–6, 24–28 even J. W. Ladbroke by direction of Joshua Flesher Hanson to Richard Bescoby, gentleman, 1828. Robert Cantwell, architect or builder, acted on behalf of Bescoby.
8–22 even J. W. Ladbroke to Hanson, 1823–4. No. 8 demolished.
30 J. W. Ladbroke by direction of Hanson to Francis Bescoby, gentleman, 1826.
32 J. W. Ladbroke by direction of Hanson to Edward May and Aaron Morritt of Oxford Street, iron-mongers, 1826.
34, 36 J. W. Ladbroke to William Hammond of Upminster, builder, 1826.
38 J. W. Ladbroke by direction of Hanson to Cantwell, 1826.
42–52 even J. W. Ladbroke to John Drew of Pimlico, builder, 1833.
54–74 even J. W. Ladbroke to Ralph Adams of Gray's Inn Road, brick and tile maker, 1826–31. Nos. 62–66 demolished.
80–90 even J. W. Ladbroke to Adams, 1831.
100–116 even J. W. Ladbroke to Adams, or Adams a party to leases, 1827–31.

Horbury Crescent

Site leased by F. Ladbroke to William Chadwick of Adelaide Place, City, architect, 1848. Building begun 1855 by J. D. Cowland, contractor. Sixteen houses in course of erection by William Wheeler, builder, 1857.

Kensington Park Gardens, south side

1–9 consec. F. Ladbroke building agreements with William John Drew, builder, 1849–50. No. 7 was occupied by Sir William Crookes, the scientist, from 1880 to 1919, and is said to have been the first house in England to be lit by electricity. No. 5 demolished.
10–22 consec. F. Ladbroke to David Allan Ramsay, builder, 1853. Not completed until c. 1858. Designed by Thomas Allom.

Kensington Park Gardens, north side

24 Built for C. H. Blake, probably by contract with Ramsay, to designs by Allom, 1853. Blake lived here from 1854 to 1859.
25, 32–35 consec. F. Ladbroke to Blake, 1852. Allom architect for Blake.
26–31, 36–47 consec. F. Ladbroke to Blake, 1852. Sub-leased by Blake to Ramsay or his associates, 1852–3. Nos. 26, 28–30 completed by J. D. Cowland, builder, under sub-lease from Dr. Walker's trustees, 1856. Designed by Allom.

Kensington Park Road, east side

2–30 even Built by William Chadwick of Adelaide Place, City, architect, 1848.
32–38 even J. W. Ladbroke to Chadwick, 1847.
56–72 even Built by or for Thomas Pocock of Bartholomew Close, City, solicitor, in association with John Day of Red Lion Square, solicitor, 1850–1.
74 Built by or for Pocock, 1851–2.
76–90 even Built by Philip Rainey, formerly Blake's clerk of works, under agreement of 1859, to designs of Edward Habershon, architect.
92–112 even Built under leases of 1861 to Robert Offord of St. Marylebone, coachbuilder. Nos. 98–112 demolished.
124 Jane Tringham to Joseph Way, bricklayer, 1853.
126–182 even Built by or for Pocock, perhaps by contract, 1852.
184 Built by or for Pocock, perhaps by contract, 1853.

Kensington Park Road, west side

1–15 odd Built by John Wicking Phillips of Paddington, builder, 1860–1.

Ladbroke Crescent

1–24 consec. C. H. Blake to G. and T. Goodwin, builders, 1864. Partly demolished.

Ladbroke Gardens, north side

1–23 consec. Richard Roy, solicitor, to G. Wilson, builders, (Nos. 1–11) and to James Emmins, builder (Nos. 12–23), 1852. Designed by Thomas Allom, architect. Built c. 1858–66, Nos. 7–23 under auspices of Ebenezer Howard, poultry salesman of Leadenhall Market, by W. Parratt, builder, and John Faulkner of Finchley New Road, surveyor, and probably completed after Parratt's death by W. Wheeler, builder.

Ladbroke Gardens, south side

34, 35 Built by John Wicking Phillips of Paddington, builder, 1858–61.

Ladbroke Grove, east side

14–20 even Major-General Laurence Bradshaw by direction of Robert Cantwell, surveyor, to George Buckle of Primrose Street, City, architect, 1835. J. R. Butler, builder, also probably involved.
22, 24 Butler and mortgagee to John Sandell of Bread Street, City, gentleman, 1838.
26, 28 Butler and mortgagee to Thomas Barrett of Tottenham Court Road, tradesman, 1838.
30, 32 Butler's mortgagee to William Reynolds, builder, 1843. Built c. 1848.
36–40 even C. H. Blake to David Allan Ramsay, builder, 1853. Designed by Thomas Allom. Completed after Ramsay's bankruptcy in 1854 by Blake's clerk of works, Philip Rainey.
42–50 even J. W. Ladbroke to William Parkin, solicitor, 1843. Re-leased by Ladbroke to John Brown of St. Marylebone, builder, 1845.
52–58 even J. W. Ladbroke to Brown, 1845.
60–64 even Begun by Henry Malcolm Ramsay, builder, for James Lamb of Great Winchester Street, cement manufacturer, 1854. Building suspended 1855.
66, 68 Built by John Wicking Philips of Paddington, builder, 1858–61.
78–94 even Probably designed by Edward Habershon, architect, 1861.
98–104 even Blake to Edmund and Elias Cordery of Bayswater, builders, 1860.

Ladbroke Grove, west side

11–19 odd J. W. Ladbroke to John Drew of Pimlico, builder, of Nos. 17–19 and site of Nos. 11–15, 1833. Nos. 11–15 leased by John Drew and mortgagees to R. Charsley, gentleman (No. 11) and William John Drew, builder (Nos. 13 and 15), 1838.
21, 23 J. W. Ladbroke to W. J. Drew, 1839–40.
25–35 odd J. W. Ladbroke by direction of W. J. Drew to Francis Read of Pimlico, builder, 1839–40. Porticoes added 1857 (Nos. 25–33) and 1861 (Nos. 31–35).
37–61 odd J. W. Ladbroke to Richard Roy, solicitor, to Reynolds, 1842–3. Designed by James Thomson, architect, 1842. Nos. 37, 39, 51–57 recently rebuilt.
63 J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to Joshua Higgs senior and junior of Davies Street, Berkeley Square, builders, 1844.
67–75 odd Built under contract by John Jay of London Wall, builder, for Mark Markwick of Worthing, esquire, in conjunction with John Duncan, solicitor, 1841–2. Probably designed by either Jay or Charles Stewart Duncan.
83 Dr. Samuel Walker to Kenelm Chandler, builder, 1852.
87 Blake to Edwin Ware of Paddington, builder, 1862.
91, 93 Charles Chambers, timber merchant, to Richard Crowley, builder, 1863.
95–109 odd Blake to George Drew, architect, 1864.
111–119 odd Blake by direction of George Drew to C. A. Daw, builder, 1865.
121–129 odd Blake to G. and T. Goodwin, builders, 1863.

Ladbroke Road, north side

14 J. W. Ladbroke to William Chadwick of Adelaide Place, City, architect, 1843.
16, 18 F. Ladbroke to Chadwick, 1848.
64 J. W. Ladbroke by direction of William John Drew, builder, to Major G. F. Penley, 1844.
66–72 even J. W. Ladbroke to W. J. Drew, 1845.
80–86 even J. W. Ladbroke by direction of W. J. Drew to Thomas Allason, architect, 1845.

Ladbroke Road, south side

1–7 odd F. Ladbroke to Chadwick, 1848.
9, 11 J. W. Ladbroke to Chadwick, 1847.
13–19 odd Chadwick to George Stevenson, builder, 1848.
21–55 odd W. W. Chadwick to William Wheeler, builder, 1853–4.
105, 107 Site leased by J. W. Ladbroke to John Drew of Pimlico, builder, 1833.
109–119 odd J. W. Ladbroke to W. J. Drew, 1841.
137, 139 J. W. Ladbroke to W. J. Drew, 1845. Demolished.

Ladbroke Square

1 Built by W. H. Rowlings of Thewbald's Road, 1851.
4–17 consec. Built by William Wheeler, builder, 1856–60.
20–22 consec. J. W. Ladbroke to John Brown of St. Marylebone, builder, 1844.
23–27 consec. Agreement for lease, Jacob Connop, bill broker, to William Gribble of St. Marylebone, builder, 1842. Leased by J. W. Ladbroke to Connop's solicitor, William Parkin, 1843.
28–31 consec. Agreement for lease, Connop to William Wells of Islington, builder, 1842. Nos. 28–30 leased by J. W. Loadbroke to C. H. Grove, solicitor, 1844.
31 (sic)–37 consec. J. W. Ladbroke by direction of Connop to W. Parkin, 1843. John Stevens, Connop's architect, a party to mortgages.
38 J. W. Ladbroke to Henry Monson of St. Marylebone, builder, 1846. Rebuilt after damage in war of 1939–45.
39–47 consec. J. W. Ladbroke to J. T. Crossthwaite of Addiscombe, gentleman, 1846. Probably built by Monson. All except Nos. 41 and 42 finished by Mr. Wilkinson under superintendence of Mr. Brown, 1850. Nos. 39 and 40 rebuilt after damage in war of 1939–45.

Ladbroke Terrace, east side

3, 4 J. W. Ladbroke by direction of Joshua Flesher Hanson to Robert Cantwell, architect or builder, 1826.
5, 6 Same to same, 1833.
7, 8 Probably built by Cantwell and/or William John Drew, builder.

Ladbroke Terrace, west side

10, 11 Probably built by Cantwell and/or Drew.
12, 13 Major-General Laurence Bradshaw by direction of Cantwell to William Liddard, gentleman (No. 13) and to Drew (No. 12), 1838.

Lansdowne Crescent, east side

2–4 consec. J. W. Ladbroke to Richard Roy, solicitor, to Joshua Higgs senior and junior of Davies Street, Berkeley Square, builders, 1844.
5–8 consec. J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to William Reynolds, builder, 1845.
9–12 consec. J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to J. W. Bridger of Chigwell, esquire, 1844.
13–18 consec. J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to Reynolds, 1845. No 18 demolished.

Lansdowne Crescent, west side

19–38 consec. Stephen Phillips, merchant, to Henry Wyatt of Leinster Square, architect, 1860–2.
42–44 consec. J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to Reynolds, 1846. No. 42 demolished.

Lansdowne Road, east side

Lansdowne House Designed by William Flockhart, 1904.
2–12 even J. W. Ladbroke to William John Drew, builder, 1843.
14 see 14 Lansdowne Walk.
16–30 even J. W. Ladbroke to Richard Roy, solicitor, to Frederick Woods and William Wheeler, builders, 1845.
32–44 even J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to William Reynolds, builder, 1846. Nos. 36–40 demolished.
46 Roy to James Lamb of Hyde Park Square, esquire, 1847. Completed c. 1857.
48, 50 Dr. Samuel Walker to James Emmins, builder, 1852. Completed c. 1857.
52–66 even Dr. Walker to Henry Wade Smith, builder, 1852. Completed c. 1860.
68–102 even Dr. Walker to Jacob Barry, builder, 1852. Completed c. 1864, Nos. 78–88 under new leases of 1860–2 from Roy to John Froud of Shepherd's Bush, builder, and Nos. 90–98 under new leases of 1862 to Joseph Lane, carpenter.

Lansdowne Road, west side

1–5 odd J. W. Ladbroke by direction of Drew to W. Liddard, gentleman, 1845.
7 see 16–19 Lansdowne Walk.
9–27 odd J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to Reynolds, 1846. Nos. 11 and 13 were formerly occupied by Sir Edmund Davis, a South African millionaire, for whom several rooms were decorated and furnished by Frank Brangwyn around
the year 1900. Charles Conder also painted a number of panels in water-colour on silk. Much of Brangwyn's work still remains. William Flockhart was the architect for the uniting of the two houses.
29–43 odd J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to Reynolds, 1846.
45, 47 J. W. Ladbroke to Roy, 1846. No. 45, Roy to Reynolds, 1847.
49 and 51 C. H. Blake to Michael Longstaff, esquire, 1851.
53–59 odd Dr. Walker to David Allan Ramsay, builder, 1852. Completed c. 1855.
61–75 odd Dr. Walker to Thomas Pocock, of Bartholomew Close, City, solicitor, 1852. Completed c. 1862.
77 Dr. Walker to Ramsay, 1852. Carcase sold to Thomas Allason, junior, architect, 1856.
79–123 odd Dr. Walker to Kenelm Chandler, builder, 1852. Completed c. 1862 under new leases of 1858–60 from Dr. Walker and mortagees. Lessces include J. D. Cowland, builder (Nos. 89 and 111) and William Reading, builder (Nos. 113–117). Nos. 105–111, 121, 123 demolished.

Lansdowne Walk, south side

1–12 consec. J. W. Ladbroke to Richard Roy, solicitor, to William Reynolds, builder, 1843–5. Nos. 1–6 designed by James Thomson, architect. No. I was altered and enlarged in 1900 by (Sir) Aston Webb, who lived there from 1890 until his death in 1930. Nos. 9, 10 demolished.
14, and 14 Lansdowne Road J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to Samuel Clothier of St. Pancras, or of Street, Somerset, marble mason, 1844.
16–19 consec., and 7 Landsdowne Road J. W. Ladbroke to Roy to Reynolds, 1845. No. 16 demolished.

Pembridge Road, west side

Prince Albert public house J. W. Ladbroke to William Chadwick of Southwark, builder, 1841.
13–59 odd Built by Chadwick, now of Adelaide Place, City, architect, 1848–52.

Portobello Road, west side

9–13 odd and Sun in Splendour public house Built by William Chadwick of Adelaide Place, City, architect, 1852.
65–105 odd Rev. B. E. Bridges and Thomas Pocock of Bartholomew Close, City, solicitor, to numerous local builders, 1848–9.
115–175 odd Pocock to numerous local builders, 1852–3.
225, Warwick Castle public house J. Bridges of Red Lion Square, solicitor, by direction of Pocock, and of Paul Felthouse, builder, to Sir Henry Meux, brewer, 1853.

Rosemead Road, south side

1 and 2 C. H. Blake to James Emmins, builder, 1851.

St. John's Gardens, north side

1 and 2 J. W. Ladbroke to Richard Roy, solicitor, to William Reynolds, builder, 1846.

St. Mark's Place, west side

4–10 consec. C. H. Blake to consortium of local builders, 1864–6.

St. Mark's Road, east side

4 C. H. Blake to C. A. Kellon of Paddington, builder, 1864.

St. Mark's Road, west side

1–9 odd Blake to Philip Baker, builder, 1865. Demolished.
23–39 odd Stephen Phillips, merchant, to J. V. Scantlebury of Paddington, builder, 1862. Demolished.

Stanley Crescent, west side

1–11 consec. Designed by Thomas Allom. Building begun by David Allan Ramsay under contract of 1853 with C. H. Blake for £19, 248. Completed after Ramsay's bankruptcy in 1854 by Blake's clerk of works, Philip Rainey.
12 and 13 Designed by Allom. Added to Blake's contract with Ramsay of 1853 for an extra £4,000. Completed after Ramsay's bankruptcy in 1854 by Rainey.
14–23 consec. Drawings (not used) for eight houses here supplied to Blake by Allom, 1855. Ten houses built here by William Wheeler, builder, under leases of 1862–3 from H. and W. Gardner, brewers.

Stanley Gardens

1–29 consec. Designed by Thomas Allom. Building begun by David Allan Ramsay under contract of 1853 with C. H. Black. After Ramsay's bankruptcy in 1854. Nos. 1–11 completed by Locke and Nesham, Nos. 12–15 by J. W. Sanders, builders, and Nos. 16–29 by Blake's clerk of works, Philip Rainey.

Westbourne Grove, north side

282–304 even Built by or under supervision of Thomas Pocock of Bartholomew Close, solicitor, 1851–2.

Westbourne Grove, south side

283–303 odd Built by or under supervision of Pocock, 1851–2.

Westbourne Park Road, north side

292–302 even Thomas Pocock of Bartholomew Close, City, solicitor, to Elias Cordery, builder, 1863. Nos. 304–314 probably also built by Cordery.
316–352 even C. H. Blake to Edmund and Elias Cordery of Bayswater, builders, 1860.

Westbourne Park Road, south side

305–317 odd Built by Paul Felthouse, builder, c. 1863.
319–351 odd Pocock to Cordery, 1863. Nos. 347–351 demolished.