IDE, commonly called Eede, in the hundred of Exminster and in the
deanery of Kenne, lies about a mile and a half from Exeter.
The dean and chapter of Exeter have been, from time immemorial, lords
of the manor, appropriators of the rectory, and patrons of the benefice,
which is in their peculiar jurisdiction. Mrs. Holmes is lessee of the manor.
The barton of Fordland belongs to James White, Esq.
Ideford, or Iddesford
IDEFORD, or IDDESFORD, in the hundred of Teignbridge and in the
deanery of Moreton, lies about two miles from Chudleigh, and about five
from Newton Abbot. Olchard is a village in this parish.
The manor of Ideford belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to the
Boterells, afterwards to the Knovills, and at a later period to the Southcotes, of whom it was purchased, about the middle of the seventeenth
century, by an ancestor of the Right Honourable Lord Clifford, who is the
present proprietor. The lords of this manor had formerly the power of
inflicting capital punishment. (fn. 1)
The barton of Holdridge, which belonged to the Worths, passed, in
1702, to the Heles; from whom it descended to William Roberts, Esq.; it
it was purchased, of Mr. Roberts, in 1806, by the Rev. John Templer, of
Lindridge, the present proprietor. The Rev. John Heywood is patron of
Iddesleigh, or Idsleigh
IDDESLEIGH, or IDSLEIGH, in the hundred of Shebbear and in the
deanery of Torrington, lies about three miles from Hatherleigh.
The manor, which had been a royal demesne and settled on Matilda,
consort of William the Conqueror, belonged at a later period to the
ancient equestrian family of Sully, who had a seat and two parks here.
Sir John Sully, the last of the family, who distinguished himself in the
Holy Land, is said to have been buried at Crediton, but the figure of a
crusader in the church at Iddesleigh is also assigned to him. Iddesleigh
is said to have passed by the gift of Sir John Sully to his cousin Lord
Martyn, from whom a moiety passed by successive female heirs to Vowel,
Smith, and Bingham. It is now the property of Sir Stafford Northcote,
Bart., by purchase from Sir Charles Bingham, Bart. Risdon speaks of
the manor of Iddesleigh as having been given in exchange to St. Leger
in the reign of Henry VIII. Perhaps this was the other moiety. The lords
of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. 2)
Ash, in this parish, has been a considerable time in the family of Mallet,
and is now the property and residence of Hugh Mallet, Esq.
In the parish-church are monuments of James Veale, Esq., of Passaford, 1770; William Mallet, Esq., 1781; and the Rev. William Tasker (fn. 3) ,
the late rector, 1800. The Rev. James Banister is the present patron and
incumbent of the rectory.
Ilfracombe, or Ilfordcombe
ILFRACOMBE, or ILFORDCOMBE, a market-town on the north coast, in
the hundred of Braunton and in the deanery of Shirwell, is situated nearly
10 miles from Barnstaple, 40 from Exeter, and 202 from London. It is
described in ancient records as a borough. (fn. 4) The market, which is now
held on Saturday, was granted in 1278 to Henry Champernowne, to be
held on Monday (fn. 5) , together with a fair for three days at the festival of the
Holy Trinity. There are now two cattle-fairs, April 14. and the first
Saturday after August 23. The town is governed by a portreeve.
Ilfracombe appears to have been formerly a considerable sea-port: it contributed six ships and 82 mariners to the fleet destined for the expedition to
Calais in 1346. It has a very commodious and safe harbour, much resorted
to, particularly in the winter season, by ships passing up and down the
Channel from Ireland, &c., there being an excellent pier with a lighthouse. The pier, which is 850 feet in length, was repaired by an act of
parliament in 1731, and was partly rebuilt by Sir Bourchier Wrey in 1761.
Three large skiffs cruise here in the winter season for the express purpose
of assisting vessels in distress. A considerable coasting trade is carried on
at Ilfracombe, there being above 70 vessels belonging to the port. The only
export is oats. The herring-fishery at this place is considerable. Packets
sail hence to Swansea and Bristol.
Ilfracombe has of late years been much frequented as a bathing-place.
It is an agreeable summer-residence; and there are warm baths for the
accommodation of invalids.
The number of inhabitants in the town and parish of Ilfracombe, in
1801, was 1838; in 1811, 1934, according to the returns made to parliament at those periods.
Ilfracombe having been a garrison of the parliament, was taken in the
month of September, 1644, for the King, by Sir Francis Doddington, with
20 pieces of ordnance, as many barrels of powder, and 200 stand of arms. (fn. 6)
The manor of Ilfracombe was parcel of the barony of Barnstaple,
and passed through the baronial families of Martin and Audley to the
Bourchiers. It is now the property of their descendant, Sir Bourchier
Wrey, Bart., who has a house at Ilfracombe, at which he has occasionally resided. Sir William Pole gives the descent of another manor
which belonged, in the reign of Henry II., to the Champernownes.
After some descents the heiress of Sir William Champernowne brought it
to Polglass, and the heiress of Polglass to Sir William Herle, chief justice
of the Common Pleas. Sir John Herle, having no issue, conveyed it to
William Lord Bonville. Upon the attainder of his representative, the
Duke of Suffolk, it fell to the crown. This manor of Ilfracombe appears
to have been in the Gorges family in the middle of the seventeenth
century. (fn. 7)
The manor of Lincombe, in this parish, which belonged formerly to the
family of Witchalse, is now the property of John Mervin Cutcliffe, Esq. (fn. 8) ,
who had for many generations their seat at Dammage, in this parish, now a
farm-house belonging to the family. Johannes de Rupecissa, or Cutcliffe,
a learned divine, who wrote against popery in the fourteenth century, was
of this family, and is said to have been born at Dammage. The manor of
Warcombe in Ilfracombe, is also part of the ancient possessions of the
In the parish-church are monuments of the Cutcliffes (fn. 9) and Parminters (fn. 10) ;
Joan, wife of Nicholas Killiowe, Esq., 1686; Elizabeth, wife of Leonard
Prince, (mother of John Prince, author of "the Worthies,") 1657; and
a sarcophagus with naval trophies in memory of Captain Richard Bowen,
of the navy (fn. 11) , 1797. There are some memorials also in the chancel of the
family of J'Ans. (fn. 12)
Ilfracombe is a prebend in the church of Salisbury. It was held by the
learned Camden as a lay prebend; and there is a tradition of his having
resided at Ilfracombe. The prebendary is patron of the vicarage.
There was a congregation of Presbyterians at Ilfracombe in 1715; and
probably at an earlier period. This congregation still exists.
Mrs. Gertrude Pyncomb gave 6l. per annum for a boy's school, and 4l.
per annum for a girl's school in this parish. Ten boys are instructed by
Mrs. Pyncomb's benefaction, and 30 by voluntary contributions. Fourteen
girls are instructed by Mrs. Pyncomb's charity. There are also a school
of industry, in which 44 girls are instructed; a Sunday-school for 50 boys
and 70 girls, on Dr. Bell's plan, and another for 100 boys and 25 girls,
supported by the dissenters.
ILSINGTON, in the hundred of Teignbridge and in the deanery of Moreton, lies about five miles from Ashburton, and between six and seven
from Newton Abbot. Knighton-Beaumont, Leveton, Brimley, and Sigford,
are villages in this parish.
The manor of Ilsington belonged at an early period to the family of
Beaumont; in the reign of Edward I. to the Dinhams. After the death
of John Lord Dinham, in 1477, it was divided among his representatives.
It appears that three shares became eventually vested in the Arundells,
who had possessed one share by descent. From Arundell they passed to
the Fords of Bagtor, and were conveyed by the devisees of Sir Henry
Ford, who died in 1684, to Egerton Filmore, Esq. This estate is now
the property of George Templer, Esq., of Stover, who purchased it of
the Filmores in or about 1818. The other fourth share has passed with
Ingsdon to Charles Hale Monro, a minor, who has the court barton.
The lord of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital
punishment. (fn. 13)
The manor of Aynkesdon, now called Ingsdon, was settled upon a
younger branch of the Beaumonts, which continued there till the reign of
Edward IV., when the heiress brought it to the Pomeroy family, in whom
it continued many years. About or soon after the year 1662, it passed
from this family to Sir John Stawell, of whose devisees it was purchased
about 1672 by James Rodd, Esq., of Weare. From the Rodds it passed
by successive alienations to Tapson and Hale. This estate is now, under
the will of the late Charles Hale, Esq., the property of Charles Hale
Monro above mentioned. Lord Courtenay has a small manor in Ilsington.
Bagtor belonged to the family of Beare, afterwards to the Fords. John
Ford, a popular dramatic writer of the seventeenth century, was of this
family, and born at Bagtor in 1586. Sir Henry Ford, secretary for Ireland
in the reign of Charles II., is supposed to have been his grandson. He
sold Bagtor to the Tothills, of whose descendants it was purchased by the
late Lord Ashburton. It is now the property of his son, the present lord.
The great tithes of Ilsington were appropriated to the church of Ottery
St. Mary, afterwards to the priory of Plympton, now to the dean and
chapter of Windsor, who are patrons of the vicarage. The tithes are
held on lease, under the church of Windsor, by Miss Filmore. Mr. John
Petvin, vicar of Ilsington, published (1750) "Letters on Mind," highly
spoken of by Harris in his Hermes.
After the defeat of Lord Wentworth's brigade by Cromwell, on the
night of the 9th of January, 1646, Ilsington church was occupied for a
while as a place of retreat by some of the fugitives, who quitted it on the
approach of Cromwell's army. (fn. 14)
Mrs. Jane Ford in 1664 gave lands, now let at 22l. per annum, for
teaching poor children of this parish, and buying Bibles.
INSTOW, in the hundred of Fremington and in the deanery of Barnstaple, lies about six miles from Barnstaple. Bickleton and Worlington
are small villages in this parish.
The manor of Instow (fn. 15) belonged, in the reign of Henry III., and till
the year 1345, if not later, to the family of St. John. It was afterwards
the property of Sir Richard Hankford. (fn. 16) It was granted to William Lord
Howard in 1586: at a later period it was in the Coplestons, a branch
of which family was for some time settled here. In the early part of the
last century it belonged to the family of Gibbes, one of the co-heiresses of
which was the second wife of Humphrey Sibthorpe, M.D., some time
professor of botany in the university of Oxford. His son, in whose
favour he had resigned the professorship, became possessed of this manor
in right of his mother, and dying before his father, bequeathed this estate
to him. This manor, with the manors of Bickleton and Fullingcote, was
sold in 1819 by his grandson Coningsby Waldo Sibthorpe, Esq., M. P., to
Augustus Saltren Willett, Esq.: Fullingcote belonged to the priory of
Barnstaple, and was afterwards in the Coplestons. Wolrington, in this
parish, belonged to the family of Chantery, afterwards to the Bourchiers,
earls of Bath.
In the parish-church is the monument of Humphrey Sibthorpe, M.D.,
who died in 1797. In the chancel are memorials for the Rev. John
Downe, rector of Instow, 1631; and John Downe, his son, 1640. The
former, who was a nephew of Bishop Jewell's, wrote several religious
tracts, published after his death by Dr. William Hakewill: he is said to
have been a native of Holsworthy. The advowson of the rectory has
passed with the manor.
Joan Tucker gave a house and garden, now let at 2l. 10s., for teaching
poor children of this parish. This is the only endowment for a school.
INWARDLEIGH, in the hundred of Black Torrington and in the deanery
of Oakhampton, lies about four miles from Hatherleigh.
The manor belonged anciently to the family of Coffin, and was divided
among the co-heiresses of a branch of that family in the reign of
Edward III. The Coffins had a deer-park and a mansion near the church,
of which there were no remains in Risdon's time. At a later period it
was in the family of Dennis: about 1771 it passed, by sale, from Champion
to Morris, and is now the property of W. C. Morris, Esq., who is possessed also of the manor of Cleeve, and part of that of Gorhuish in this
parish: the other moiety of Gorhuish belongs to John Morth Woollcombe, Esq.: the manor of Curnorthy to Albany Savile, Esq., M. P.
Northleigh, in this parish, was the original property and residence of the
family of that name, who continued to possess it in Risdon's time. This
barton now belongs to W. C. Morris, Esq. Northcote also gave name to
a family, whose heiress married Lutterell in the reign of Henry VI. (fn. 17)
In the parish-church is the monument of Rebecca, wife of Edward
Fortescue, Esq., (daughter of Richard Rolle,) 1686. Mr. Savile is patron
of the rectory.
There is a charity-school in this parish, supported by voluntary contribution.
IPPLEPEN, in the deanery of that name and in the hundred of Haytor,
lies about five miles from Totnes, and about three from Newton Abbot.
The small villages of Daignton, or Doignton, Combe-Fishacre, and Asstor,
are in this parish.
A market at this place, on Thursday, was granted in or about 1317, to
John de St. Amand, together with two fairs; one for three days at the
festival of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist, and the other for the same
time at the festival of St. Andrew the Apostle. (fn. 18)
The manor was given by William the Conqueror to Ralph de Fulgeriis.
A descendant of this Ralph gave a manor in this parish to the monastery
of St. Peter, at Fulgers, which had a cell at Ipplepen. (fn. 19) It appears by Sir
William Pole's notes, that the Fulgers family retained a manor which passed
by marriage to St. Amand. A somewhat different, but, perhaps, a reconcileable account of St. Amand's title, appears in the Hundred Roll, where
it is stated, that the first lord of the manor of Ipplepen after the Conquest
was Ralph de Mullond: he might, however, have been the same person as
Ralph de Fulgers. After continuing some time in the descendants of this
person, it was seized by the crown for some transgression. Sir William Pole
speaks of one of the Fulgers family having been in rebellion in the reign of
King John. The Hundred Roll adds, that King John having seized this
manor granted it to Nicholas de Lettres; and that on his death, without
issue, King Henry III. granted it to Almeric de St. Amand, who was the
heir of Fulgers. After the Reformation, Sir Thomas Kitson purchased
this manor, which passed with his grand-daughter to Lord Darcye, afterwards Earl Rivers, who was lord of the manor in Sir William Pole's time.
It afterwards belonged to Sir John Pettus, by whom it was sold, in 1658,
in parcels, the manerial rights being attached to the several portions. The
lords of this manor had formerly the power of capital punishment. (fn. 20)
The manor of Combe Fishacre passed with the heiress of Fishacre to
the Uffletes, and from them to the Walronds, by whom it was sold in parcels, in 1768. It is not now known as a manor.
The manor of Battleford, partly in this parish and partly in that of Little
Hempston, is the property of Mrs. Short of Bickham.
Ambrook, the property and residence of Mr. William Neyle, has been
nearly 200 years in his family. In the church-yard at this place is the
tomb of Richard Ham, vicar, who died in 1672, with some Latin verses,
containing a play upon his name.
The church was given, at an early period, to the abbey of St. Peter, at
Fulgers. Having been seized by the crown as the possession of an alien
priory, in the reign of Edward III., it appears to have continued in the
crown till 1438, when it was appropriated to the college of St. Mary Ottery.
After the dissolution of that college, it was given to the dean and chapter
of Windsor, under which it has been held about 150 years, by the family
of George Drake, Esq., the present lessee. The ancestor of Mr. Drake
married a co-heiress of Sir Henry Ford, of Nutwell, who held the lease in
the reign of Charles II. The dean and chapter of Windsor are patrons of
the vicarage, which has lately been augmented by Queen Anne's bounty.
This parish has some romantic scenery, abounding in tors or rocks; particularly a small valley called Stony Coombs. There are several subterraneous rivulets: one of these, beneath the place of its emerging, fertilizes
a meadow to such a degree, that without any other manure it produces
three crops of grass between March and September. (fn. 21)
JACOBSTOW, in the hundred of Black Torrington and in the deanery of
Oakhampton, lies about four miles from Hatherleigh, and about six from
I cannot find that any manor of Jacobstow is now known; yet it seems
probable that the manor of Jacobescherche, which at the time of taking
the Domesday survey was held in demesne by Alveva, a Saxon lady, to
whom it had belonged in the reign of Edward the Confessor, was the chief
manor of this parish.
The manor of Bromford, in Jacobstow, belonged to the family of Leigh,
whose heiress married Beare. This branch of the last-mentioned family
took the name of Bromford; and from them it passed by successive female
heirs to Prideaux, Strechleigh and Chudleigh. One of the co-heiresses of
Chudleigh appears to have brought it to Oxendon, from whom it passed to
the Burtons. It is now the property of Charles Burton, Esq., who is
patron of the rectory. In the parish-church are memorials of Henry
Oxendon, Esq., 1758; John Burton, Esq., 1776; and John Burton, Esq.,