SLAPTON, in the hundred of Coleridge and in the deanery of Woodleigh,
lies on the south coast, about six miles from Dartmouth.
The manor of Slapton belonged to the ancient family of De Brian, as
early as the reign of Henry II., and they continued to possess it till that of
Henry IV.: it eventually became the property of Percy, Earl of Northumberland, as descended from the sole heiress of Sir Guy de Brian the younger,
through Fitz Payne and Poynings. It was allotted to the Earl of Northumberland, by arbitration, after a long litigation with St. Maur, descended
from one of the sisters of the said Sir Guy de Brian. Henry, Earl of
Northumberland, sold this manor to Sir Matthew Arundell, father of Lord
Arundell of Wardour, who possessed it in the reign of Charles I. After
this, it was in the Kellands: a moiety was purchased of Lady Northcote,
one of the co-heiresses of Kelland, by the grandfather of A. H. Holdsworth, Esq., the present proprietor. The other moiety was purchased,
about 1799, of Lord Cork and Mr. Pointz, representatives of the other
co-heiress of Kelland, (through the Courtenays,) by William Roberts, Esq.,
the present proprietor.
The manor was formerly held of the See of Exeter, by the service of
being steward at the bishop's installing feast. (fn. 1)
Pole, or Poole, in this parish, is said (but I think erroneously) to have
been a priory. It was the seat of the Brians, and afterwards of the Ameridiths, who sold it to Sir Richard Hawkins, the celebrated naval officer, in
the reign of James I. The Hawkins' family for some time resided at Poole.
Some years ago, it belonged to Henry Fownes Lutterell, Esq., and is now
the property of Mr. Nicholas Paige. The ruins of the old mansion were
taken down about the year 1800.
Mr. Polwhele speaks of some handsome monuments of the Ameridiths,
one of which had the date of 1610. These monuments are not now to be
seen. Sir Guy de Brian, in the year 1373, founded a collegiate chapel at
Slapton, for a rector and five fellows, and four clerks, in the chapel of St.
Mary, adjoining the parish-church. It was surrendered in 1545, and
granted to Thomas Arundell; the lands being then valued at 63l. 6s. 2d.
per annum. This estate, with the impropriate tithes, continued, for many
generations, in the Arundell family; the college estate was purchased of
that family by Mr. William Paige, who is patron of the benefice. The
tithes have been sold to the several land-owners.
Mr. Charles Kelland, in 1684, gave 50l. for apprenticing of children, and
Mr. John Kelland, in 1692, the sum of 100l. for their instruction. These
sums were laid out in lands, which now produce 16l. per annum.
SOUTH LEIGH, in the hundred of Colyton and in the deanery of Honiton,
lies about six miles from Honiton, and three from Colyton.
The manor belonged anciently to the family of Leigh, whose heiress
married Polston. It was afterwards in the Courtenays, who conveyed it
in exchange to Bonville, after which time it passed with Northleigh to
the Rev. Samuel How, of whom it was purchased, in 1821, by Charles
Gordon, Esq. The manor and barton of Wiscombe, or Wishcombe, being
the principal estate in the parish, was anciently held by the family of
Dalditch under the abbey of St. Michael, in Normandy. The abbot of
that house conveyed it to Sir Nicholas Bonville. Leland, speaking of
Wiscombe in the reign of Henry VIII., calls it "a fair maner-place, some
time the Lord Bonville's, now the Marquis of Dorset's." After the
attainder of the Marquis, (then Duke of Suffolk,) this estate became the
property of the Petres, and having passed with the manors of North and
South Leigh, was purchased of the Hows about 1815, by Charles Gordon,
Esq., the present proprietor, who resides at Wiscombe.
Morgan's Hayes, in this parish, was for 15 descents in the family of
Morgan, whose co-heiresses sold it to Rose. It was afterwards successively
in Shepherd, Cholmondeley, Vickers, and Mann. The late Sir John
William Pole purchased it of Sir Horace Mann, and it now belongs to his
son Sir William Templer Pole, Bart.
The barton of Scrivell, or Scruell, which was in the family of Walrond
from the reign of Edward I. till the seventeenth century, if not later,
belongs now to Mr. John Pomeroy, of Boycomb, by purchase from James
Townsend, Esq., of Honiton.
In the parish-church are memorials of John Rose, Esq., of Morgan's
Hayes, 1705; Thomas Vickers, Esq., 1753, (he married a sister of Stanbrook Cholmondeley, from whom she inherited this estate); and Robert
Drake, "Armiger auratus," 1600. The Rev. James How, in the year
1816, gave, by will, the sum of 100l., 5 per cent., for the endowment of
a Sunday-school at this place.
SOWTON, in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery of Aylesbeare,
lies about three miles and a half from Exeter.
The manor of Sowton, alias Clist Fomeson (fn. 2) , (erroneously printed in
Risdon's survey Somson) belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to the
family of Fomeson, whose heiress brought it to Ash. This family possessed it till the death of Henry Ash, Esq., the last heir male, in 1763.
In 1775 it was adjudged to Miss Salter, as heir-at law to the Ash
family. The manor now belongs to Lord Graves, who purchased it of the
heirs of Miss Salter, about the year 1800. Part of Clist Sachville is in
In the parish-church are monuments of the family of Beavis of Clist
House (fn. 3) , in the adjoining parish of Farrington; and that of Dr. William
Stuart, rector, 1734. The bishop of Exeter is patron of the rectory.
Thomas Weare, in 1691, gave 3l. 15s. per annum for educating five
poor children, and providing them with books.
SPREYTON, in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery of Dunsford,
lies about eight miles from Oakhampton.
The manor belonged, in the reign of Henry II., to the Talbots, whose
heiress, in the reign of Henry VI., brought it to the family of Kelly.
This estate was sold by the descendant of the last-mentioned family to
John Cann, Esq., of Fuidge, and Mr. William Battishull of Barton.
The manor is now the property of George Lambert, Esq. The lords of
Spreyton had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. 4)
An inscription, purporting that the Talbot family contributed to the
expense of the structure, proves that the building of the parish-church
was as old as the reign of Henry VI.
In this church are memorials of Thomas Hone, Esq., of Nympton,
1746: and John Cann, Gent., 1767. The church of Spreyton belonged
to the abbot and convent of Tavistock. The impropriation and advowson
were granted to the Russell family with the other possessions of the abbey.
The great tithes were sold by the late Duke of Bedford to the land-owners,
and the advowson to the Rev. R. Holland, who is the present patron.
CHURCH STAUNTON, in the hundred of Hemiock and in the deanery of
Dunkeswell, is situated on Blackdown, near the borders of Somersetshire,
five miles from Wellington, and seven from Taunton. The principal
villages in this parish are Churchenford, (on the road from Honiton to
Taunton,) Stapley, Red Lane, and Burnworthy. There are cattle-fairs at
Churchenford, January 25., and March 6.
The manor of Staunton Tudenham belonged to the family of Tudenham in
the reign of Henry III. Sir Robert de Tudenham sold it to Sir William
Damarell, whose heiress brought it to Bonville. After the attainder of
the Duke of Suffolk, it was purchased of the crown by the Clifton family.
Gervais Lord Cifton sold it to Chief Justice Popham of whose descendant it was purchased by the uncle of Samuel Southwood, Esq., of Burnworthy, the present proprietor. The Rev. Robert Pearce Clarke is patron
of the rectory. The tithes are governed by a corn-rent, averaged every
fourteen years under the act of parliament by which the waste lands were
enclosed, in or about 1802. John Salkeld, called by King James I. the
learned Salkeld, author of two treatises, entitled "Of Angels," and "Of
Paradise," and several controversial works, was ejected from Church
Staunton in 1647, at the age of 72. He died at Uffculme in 1659, and
was there buried.
Mrs. Mary Waldron, in 1749, gave the sum of 100l. to purchase lands, out
of which 2l. 2s. per annum is appropriated to a school at Church Staunton.
STAVERTON, in the hundred of Haytor and in the deanery of Ipplepen,
is situated three miles from Totnes, five from Ashburton, and seven from
Newton Abbot. Sparkwell, Woolston Green, and Strechford, are villages
in this parish.
This parish abounds in orchards, which, in a full-bearing year, are
supposed to produce about 8000 hogsheads of cyder. There are 32
pounds and presses in the parish.
The manor has, from an early period, belonged to the dean and chapter
of Exeter. The manor of Barkington, some time in the family of Worth,
was of late years successively in John Preston, Esq., and Sir F. L.
Rogers, Bart. It is now the property of John Maye, Esq. Sparkwell
barton gave name to a family, from whom it passed by successive female
heirs to Barnhouse and Rowe. Kingston, which had been in the Barnhouse family in the reign of Edward I., passed by marriage to Rowe, and
was the seat of that family for many generations. It was rebuilt by John
Rowe, Esq., in 1743. Sparkwell was purchased, about 1808, of the
family of Preston by Philip Michelmore, Esq., the present proprietor.
Kingston was, in 1792, the property and residence of Mr. Thomas Bradridge, of whose executors it was purchased by Mr. William Rundle, the
The barton of Pridhamsleigh, which by the name seems to have
belonged formerly to the ancient family of Prudhome, or Pridham, was
some time the property and residence of William Drake Gould, Esq. It
was purchased by the late Lord Ashburton, and now belongs to his son,
the present lord. The barton of Blackler has been long in the family of
Wolston, and is now the property of Christopher Wolston, Esq. Little
Ambrook has been some time in the Neyles, and now belongs to Mrs.
Neyle, widow of the late Rev. William Neyle.
In the parish-church is the monument of John Rowe, Esq., (son and
heir of Sergeant Rowe,) 1592. The dean and chapter of Exeter are
appropriators of the great tithes, and patrons of the vicarage, which is in
their peculiar jurisdiction. Dr. Baker, the late vicar, who died in 1803,
gave 10l. per annum for instructing poor children, and the late Thomas
Bradridge, Esq., in 1815, 2l. per annum for the same purpose.
STOCKLEIGH ENGLISH, in the hundred of West Budleigh, and in the
deanery of Cadbury, lies about four miles and a half from Crediton. The
manor belonged to the ancient family of English, from whom it passed by
successive female heirs to Champernowne and Bottreaux. Sir William
Pole speaks of this manor as lately purchased by Snittall and Hanse, as
agents, probably, for the Bellew family, who have possessed it nearly 200
years. It is now the property of John Bellew, Esq. In the parish-church
are memorials for William Bellew, Esq., 1757; Thomas Bellew, Esq.,
1772; and Thomas Bellew, Esq., 1789. The King is patron of the
Stockleigh Pomeroy, or South Stockleigh
STOCKLEIGH POMEROY, or SOUTH STOCKLEIGH, in the hundred of West
Budleigh and in the deanery of Cadbury, lies about four miles from
Crediton, and about eight from Tiverton, near the turnpike-road. The
manor belonged, for many generations, to the ancient family of Pomeroy,
as parcel of the barony of Berry. (fn. 5) It is said to have been forfeited by
Sir Thomas Pomeroy, for killing a pursuivant at arms: this is a mere
tradition, but it might have happened in the rebellion of 1549, for his
share in which he was attainted. It is now the property of Sir John
Davie, Bart., in whose family it was as early as 1672, if not at an earlier
period. The bishop is patron of the rectory.
STOKE CANON, in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery of
Aylesbeare, lies about three miles and a half from Exeter. The manor,
which was given to the church of Exeter by King Athelstan (fn. 6) , still belongs
to the dean and chapter: they are appropriators of the tithes, and patrons
of the perpetual curacy, which is in their peculiar jurisdiction.
Oakey, or Oakhay, now held by Montagu Parker, Esq., under the dean
and chapter, was some time a seat of the younger branch of the Rodds.
In the parish-church is the monument of William Peterson, S.T.P., dean
of Exeter, 1661.
Sir Thomas Fairfax established a garrison at Stoke Canon in the month
of October, 1645, to act with other garrisons in the neighbourhood in the
blockade of Exeter. (fn. 7)
STOKE DAMARELL, usually written DAMERELL, in the hundred of Roborough and in the deanery of Tamerton, adjoins the populous town of
Plymouth Dock, which is in this parish. Morice-town, where is the ferry
on the great western road to Falmouth and the Land's end, is also in this
parish. There is an annual fair at Morice-town on Whit-Monday.
The manor of Stoke belonged, at the time of taking the Domesday
survey, to the ancestor of the ancient family of Damarell, who continued
to possess it in the reign of Edward II. It came afterwards to the
Courtenays. Lands in this parish belonged, in the reign of Edward II.,
to the family of Kemiell, afterwards to the Branscombes, from whom they
passed, by successive marriages, to Britt and Wise. Sir Thomas Wise,
being possessed of these lands and the manor, built a house for his own
residence at Mount Wise, where is now a battery. In 1667 Sir Edward
Wise sold the manor of Stoke Damarell, with its appurtenances, to Sir
William Morice for 11,000l. On the death of Sir William Morice, Bart.,
in 1749, the Stoke Damarell estate passed under his will to his nephew, Sir
John St. Aubyn, Bart., father of Sir John St. Aubyn, Bart., the present proprietor. In consequence of the establishment of the royal dock-yard
within this parish and manor, and the subsequent building of the very
populous town of Plymouth Dock (fn. 8) , this estate has become of great
value. The barton of Swilly, in this parish, belongs to James Furneaux,
a minor, in whose family it has been a considerable time. The barton of
Ford is the property of George Couch, Esq.
In the parish-church are monuments of Chetwynd Phillips, 1701; Hasden
Young, 1753; the Rev. Henry Hawes, rector, 1728; Peter Robinson,
1790; Major-general Alexander Rigby, 1793; Lieutenant William Buller,
of his Majesty's ship Impregnable, who died of his wounds received on
the glorious first of June, 1794; and Thomas Fitzherbert, Esq., ViceAdmiral of the Blue, 1794. Sir John St. Aubyn is patron of the rectory,
the advowson of which was granted to Sir William Morice by King
Charles II. There are two chapels in Dock-town, St. Aubyn chapel,
built in 1771, and St. John's, built in 1779, besides the chapel in the
Dock-yard, which was rebuilt in 1818.
I have been favoured (fn. 9) with the following list of dissenting meetinghouses in the parish of Stoke Damarell, including Plymouth Dock, which I
have every reason to believe to be perfectly accurate, and to be given in the
terms by which the several congregations are, among themselves, denominated. — One of Unitarians; two of Particular Baptists; three of Wesleyan
Methodists, in the old connection; one of Independent Wesleyan Methodists, recently separated from the connection; one of Moravians; seven
of Independent High Calvinists; one of Moderate Calvinists; one of
Rellyan (fn. 10) Universalists; one of Bryanites (fn. 11) ; and one of Southcottonians. (fn. 12)
There is no endowed school in this parish, but a great portion of the
children of the poor have the benefit of gratuitous instruction. At Stoke
Damarell is a Lancasterian school, in which 230 boys and 50 girls are
taught, supported by annual contributions. A school-house was built by
subscription, about the year 1800, adjoining St. John's chapel; it is supported by the same means, and 250 boys are educated in it, according to
the Madras system. A fund of about 1350l. 3 per cent. has accumulated
from the annual balances. There is a school also at Plymouth Dock, for
the education and clothing of 80 girls, instituted in 1799, and supported
by subscription. About 250 children in this parish are educated at the
expense of the Baptists, and nearly 1700 by other dissenters.
The royal dock at Plymouth, in the parish of Stoke Damarell, was established by King William: it comprises about seventy-one acres, the greater
part being held on lease, under Sir John St. Aubyn. It was first enlarged
in 1728, when forty acres were leased to government by Sir William Morice,
then lord of the manor: it was enlarged to its present extent in 1768.
Within the yard, is the basin constructed in the reign of King William,
and the dock, sufficiently capacious for the reception of a seventy-four gun
ship; three other docks, some of them being of much larger dimensions,
and four building slips: the rigging-house, a handsome building, 480 feet
in length, forms one side of a quadrangle, the other sides of which are
occupied by spacious store-houses. The blacksmith's shop, a spacious
building, 210 feet square, contains forty-eight forges; anchors of five tons'
weight are here made: upon the wharf in front are stored several hundred
of anchors: near the anchor-wharf are slips for building ships; and northward of it, the mast-house for building, and a pond for floating masts. In
the interior of the yard, are the rope-houses, in which cables of a hundred
fathom in length, are constructed; within the walls also, are various other
buildings and work-houses, connected with the establishment; the dwellinghouses of the commissioners and other officers, and the chapel, which was
originally built in the year 1700.
Adjoining the dock-yard is the gun-wharf, begun about the year 1718:
the buildings were designed by Sir John Vanburgh. There are capacious
storehouses for muskets, pistols, &c.
The populous town of Plymouth Dock, and its vicinity, are supplied by
excellent provision markets, held on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
The tolls are said to have been rented in 1812 at upwards of 2000l. per
annum. There are two quays at Plymouth Dock for trading vessels; but
there is scarcely any trade carried on except the importation of coals, for
the use of the inhabitants. The town of Dock and the dock-yard are defended by strong fortifications. The town is bounded by a wall twelve
feet high on the north, east, and south sides, called the King's interior boundary-wall, which was begun to be built in 1787, under the direction of the
Duke of Richmond. The western side is skirted by the dock-yard and gunwharf; without the wall, is a breast-work, from twelve to eighteen feet
deep, excavated from the solid slate or limestone-rock. These lines were
planned by Mr. Smelt, of the engineers, and begun about 1756. The
space between the king's interior boundary-wall and the front of the
glacis of the lines, (about 195 acres,) was purchased by government in
1758. On this space are six squares of barracks, capable of containing
3000 men, and the government-house, a handsome building, completed
about the year 1795, when the seat of government was removed thither
from the citadel at Plymouth. The barracks were begun in 1757.
The principal batteries are, one at Mount Wise; another near Mount
Edgecumbe; and the redoubt and block-houses, at Mount Pleasant. The
view at the latter is most beautiful and extensive, comprehending almost
every interesting object in the immediate vicinity of this interesting spot.
At some distance from Plymouth Dock, up the river, are a powder-magazine and powder-kilns. Near the church, at Stoke Damarell, is the military hospital, built in 1797, capable, upon occasion, of receiving 500 invalid
STOKE FLEMING, in the hundred of Coleridge and in the deanery of
Ipplepen, lies on the south coast, about two miles and a half from Dartmouth. The villages of Emeridge, Ash, and Bugford, are in this parish.
The manor was part of the ancient inheritance of the Flemings, from
whom it took the additional name. After several descents in this family,
Sir William Fleming conveyed it to Reginald, Lord Mohun, of Dunster.
From the Mohuns it passed by marriage to Carew: Sir Peter Carew gave
it to Thomas Southcote, Esq., who had married his niece. It is now, by
purchase from the late John Henry Southcote, Esq., the property of
John Henry Seale, Esq., of Mount Boone.
Christopher Farwell, Esq., of Totnes, is patron of the rectory. Richard
Raynolds, who was ejected from this living, when upwards of eighty years
of age, in 1646, survived the restoration, was repossessed of his rectory,
and died a few years afterwards, aged nearly 100. It is said that he bore
his sufferings with extraordinary patience and cheerfulness, and always felt
a confident persuasion that he should live to be reinstated.
STOKE GABRIEL, in the hundred of Haytor and in the deanery of Ipplepen,
lies on the Dart, about four miles from Totnes, and five from Dartmouth.
The villages of Watton and Ash are in this parish.
Sandridge, in this parish, gave name to a family, who in the reign of
Edward III. were succeeded by the Pomeroys, whose seat it continued to
be in the last century: one of the co-heiresses of Pomeroy brought it to
Gilbert. It was purchased of the last-mentioned family in 1770, by the
late Lord Ashburton, and now belongs to his son, the present lord, under
whom it is held on lease, by Robert William Newman, Esq. The manor
of Wadeton, or Watton, gave name to a family, from whom it passed, by
successive female heirs, to Fissacre and Holway. The last-mentioned
family continued possessed of it in the reign of Charles I. It was afterwards successively in Shepheard and Rogers, and is now the property of
Henry Studdy, Esq.
The chancellor of the church of Exeter is appropriator of the great
tithes; the dean and chapter are patrons of the vicarage, which is in their
peculiar jurisdiction. There was formerly a chantry chapel at Watton,
founded by the Holways, and endowed with lands, valued, in 1547, at
1l. 9s. 7d. per annum.
Captain John Davies, a celebrated navigator, who attempted the discovery of the north-west passage, and gave name to Davies's Straits,
was born at Sandridge, in the parish of Stoke Gabriel, in the reign of
STOKE-IN-TEIGNHEAD, commonly written STOKE IN TINGHEAD, in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery of Kenne, lies about four miles from
Newton Abbot. The villages of Higher and Lower Gabwell, Higher and
Lower Rocombe, Maidencombe, part of Ringmore, and part of Shaldon,
are in this parish.
The manor belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to the family of Fitzpayne: Sir Robert Fitzpayne sold it to Sir John Stowford, who was made
chief baron of the Exchequer in 1346: from his family it passed, by successive female heirs, to Brightly, Cornu, and Speccot. It was afterwards
successively in Scawen, Nicholls, and Trehawke. John Trehawke, Esq.,
who died about 1790, bequeathed it to Samuel Kekewich, Esq., the present
proprietor. The lords of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting
capital punishment. (fn. 13)
The manor of Maidencombe was in the family of De Cadiho, in the
reign of Henry II. Henry Tregoz held it in 1274, under the Courtenays (fn. 14) :
it was afterwards, for some descents, in the family of Bittlesgate, who sold
it to Knoll, in the early part of the fifteenth century. Towards the latter
part of the same century, it was purchased of the Knolls by Earl Rivers.
It was afterwards in the Arscotts, who sold it to Speccot; Sir John Speccot
was possessed of it in 1659; from the Speccots it passed by successive
female heirs to Hals and Trelawney. (fn. 15) This manor is now the property of
Elias Blackaller, John Blackaller, and others.
A moiety of the manor of Higher Rocombe came to the family of Flamank,
by marriage with Knowling. This is now, under the will of the late Rev.
William Flamank, the property of Mrs. Harvey, wife of Mr. Lawrence
Harvey, of Newton Abbot: the other moiety is the property of Thomas
Rowe, Esq., of Shaldon. The family of Andrews had the chief estate in
Lower Rocombe, in which they were succeeded by the Necks. The manor
of Rocombe Cadyho was held, in 1274, by Ralph Fitzwilliam, under the
Courtenays. (fn. 16) This estate, called the manor of Rocombe Hugh, or Cadhew, is now the property of Mr. Henry Hearder.
The barton of Teign Harvey, or Tingharvey, gave name to a family, by
whom it was sold to Beauchamp, in the reign of Edward I. It afterwards
passed successively, sometimes by sale, sometimes by inheritance, to Pomeroy, Hurst, Bodley, Yard, and Hele. Having been given by Mr. Elize
Hele, to charitable uses, it is now vested in the Chamber of Exeter, as
trustees. The lease has been a considerable time in the family of Bradford,
and is now vested in the Rev. — Bradford of Newton Abbot.
Mr. Incledon's Church Notes, taken about the year 1775, mention the
tomb of John Symons, canon of Exeter, 1497. The Bishop of Exeter is
patron of the rectory.
Mr. Gregory Andrews, in 1740, gave a rent-charge of 30s. per annum, a
part of which was appropriated to the instruction of poor children: the
whole is now applied to this purpose.
STOKE RIVERS, in the hundred and deanery of Sherwell, lies about seven
miles from Barnstaple.
Baldwin de Rivers, Earl of Devon, gave this manor to Philip de Soleny,
from whose family it passed, by successive female heirs, to Champernowne,
Willington, Beaumont, and Chi Chester: it is now the property of Sir
Arthur Chichester, Bart.
In the parish-church are memorials of the families of Joce (1686—1748)
and Parminter (1690—1718). The Rev. Charles Hiern, the present incumbent, is patron of the rectory.
Stokenham, alias Stockingham
STOKENHAM, alias STOCKINGHAM, in the hundred of Coleridge and in the
deanery of Woodleigh, lies on the south coast, about eight miles from
Dartmouth, and five from Kingsbridge. The villages of Chillington, Beeson, Torcross, and part of Frogmore, are in this parish.
The manor belonged, in the reign of King John to Matthew Fitzherbert: it continued several generations in his descendants by the name
of Fitzmatthew, Fitzherbert, and Fitzjohn. Matthew Fitzjohn, the last
of this family, was summoned to parliament as a baron. Dying without
issue, he gave the inheritance of all his lands to the King, (Edward I.)
The manor was then held under the Courtenays, as of the honor of
Plympton. King Edward I. gave it to Ralph de Monthermer, his son-inlaw, to be held of the crown, of which the Earl of Devon complained in
a petition to parliament, and obtained redress. From Monthermer this
manor descended through the families of Montacute and Poole to Hastings
Earl of Huntingdon, who sold it to the Ameridiths. Both Sir William
Pole and Risdon state that this manor was dismembered; Risdon says by
the Earl of Huntingdon; Sir William Pole, by John Ameridith, son of
Edward, who purchased the estate. The royalty appears, nevertheless,
to have been retained, the manor of Stokenham being now vested in
R. W. Newman, Esq., who purchased it of George Cary, Esq., of Tor
The manor of Stokenham Priory belonged to Sir Gregory Norton, Bart.,
one of the Regicides. In 1685 Sir Henry Norton, of Stokenham, brother
of Sir John Norton, Bart., of Rotherfield, in Hampshire, bequeathed
this estate to his nephew, Henry Nelson, Esq., son of William Nelson,
Esq., of Chaddleworth, Berks. It was purchased of Norton Nelson, Esq.,
by the Holdsworth family, and is now the property of A. H. Holdsworth, Esq.
Widdecomb, in this parish, was a seat of the Heles. Arthur Holdsworth, Esq., bought it in the early part of the last century, and rebuilt
the house about the year 1725. It is now the property and seat of his
descendant and namesake, by whom the house has been enlarged, and the
place much improved.
Coleridge, in this parish, is the property and was some time the residence of Michael Allen, Esq., by marriage with Cornish. Stokely
belonged to the family of Roberts, of whom it was purchased by Lydstone
Newman, Esq. Mr. Newman has built a house for his own residence near
the old mansion.
In the parish-church are memorials of the families of Somaster (fn. 17) , Holdsworth (fn. 18) , and Strode (fn. 19) , and the monument of Agnes, wife of Michael
Allen, Esq., "erected by her husband, one son and nine daughters."
The church of Stokenham was given by the Earl of Salisbury, and
Alice, his countess, to the priory of Bisham, in Buckinghamshire. The
impropriate tithes now belong to A. H. Holdsworth, Esq. The vicarage
is in the gift of the crown.
In the year 1715 the Presbyterians had a meeting-house at Stokenham,
which still exists: the congregation are now called Independent Calvinists.
EAST STONEHOUSE, in the hundred of Roborough and in the deanery of
Plympton, lies between Plymouth and Plymouth Dock. It has been
recognised as a separate parish by act of parliament.
The manor of East Stonehouse (fn. 20) , said to have been anciently called
Hippeston, belonged to the family of Stonehouse, from whom it passed to
Durnford, and with the heiress of Durnford to Edgecumbe. It is now
the property of the Earl of Mount Edgecumbe. The Stonehouse family
had a seat here. Sir William Pole says, that from a single private house
it had become in his time a convenient big town, well inhabited. It
has since very much increased. In 1801 it contained 3407; in 1811,
5174 inhabitants, according to the returns given in to parliament at those
In 1784 the Plymouth division of marines was first stationed at Stonehouse, in barracks then lately built for their reception. They are capable
of accommodating about 600 men.
Other barracks for infantry, called the Long-room barracks, were constructed during the late war, capable of holding 950 men. The Longroom, which was formerly an assembly-room, was converted into a messroom. Near these barracks are two batteries, called the Eastern and
and Western King batteries, commanding the pass between St. Nicholas
island and the shore, and the entrance into Hamoaze.
Adjoining to Stonehouse is the Royal Naval Hospital, containing 60
wards, and capable of accommodating above 900 patients. It being
situated on Stonehouse creek, the sick are conveyed immediately from their
ships to the hospital, without being exposed to the inconvenience of any
conveyance by land.
There is now a weekly market at Stonehouse for provisions on Wednesday, and fairs on the first Wednesday in May and the second Wednesday
in September, and the following day.
The old chapel at Stonehouse was rebuilt in 1787. In the new church
is the monument (by Rouw) of Thomas Parlby, Esq., 1802; and that
of John Basset Balderstone, Esq., commander of his Majesty's ship Parthian,
1808. In the church-yard are the tombs of Alexander Leslie, Lord
Newark, 1791; Captain William Swaffield, R.N., blown up in the Amphion in Hamoaze, 1796; Lieutenant William Burke, mortally wounded
July 21., 1801, in boarding La Chevrette, a French corvette, near Brest;
Norton Joseph Knatchbull, son of Sir Edward Knatchbull, Bart., 1801;
Dame Anne, relict of Sir John Dalston, Bart., 1801; and Rear-Admiral
James Andrew Worth, 1807.
The Independent Calvinists have a meeting-house at Stonehouse; there
are chapels also for the Roman Catholics, Baptists, and Wesleyan Methodists. The Roman Catholic chapel was opened in 1807.
There is no endowed school in this parish, but about 200 children are
educated in a school conducted on Dr. Bell's system, supported by subscription; and about 230 in schools supported by the dissenters.
Stoodley, Stodeleigh, or Studley
STOODLEY, STODELEIGH, or STUDLEY, in the hundred of Witheridge
and in the deanery of South Molton, lies about seven miles from Tiverton.
The manor was, at an early period, successively in the families of Champeaux and Marchant. The latter sold it to Fitzpayne in the reign of
Edward III. From Fitzpayne it passed, by successive female heirs, to
the families of Anstill, Kelly, and Carew.
The manors of East and West Stoodleigh were purchased of James
Bernard, Esq., who possessed them in right of his wife, (the heiress of
Carew of Crowcombe) about the year 1779, by Matthew Brickdale, Esq. M.P.
Mr. Brickdale's son sold these estates, in 1819, to John Nicholas Fazakerly,
Esq., M. P., who resides at Stoodleigh in the summer season.
The family of Balistarius, or Alabaster, possessed the manors of Blackworthy, Whiteknoll, and Warbrightsly or Warbrightsleigh, alias Halrudge,
in this parish. After five generations, they passed with its heiress to Sachville. The last of the Sachville family conveyed them to his mother, and
her heirs by her second husband John Crewkerne; and they passed with
one of the co-heiresses of Crewkerne, to Broughton. The last of this
family died in 1734. These manors are now the property of John Edward
Teale, Esq., in whose family they have been for a considerable time. The
barton of Warbrightsly belongs to the Rev. John Palmer, of Torrington.
There is an ancient beacon on the top of Warbrightsleigh hill, said to
have been erected by order of King Edward II. (fn. 21)
Mr. Fazakerly is patron of the rectory.
STOWFORD, in the hundred of Lifton and in the deanery of Tavistock,
lies about ten miles from Tavistock, and about twelve from Oakhampton.
Stow-end, Stowford-barton, and Spry-town, are small villages in this parish.
The manor belonged, in the reign of Henry II., to the family of Hiwis,
who possessed it for several generations. This, with the manor of Milford,
had been long in the family of Harris, till it was lately exchanged by
William Arundell Harris, Esq., of Castlepark, with Mr. Harris, of Hayne,
for some estates in Lifton.
Stone and Hayne, in this parish, have been, for many generations, in the
family of Harris. John Harris married the heiress of Stone, in the reign
of Henry VI.; his descendant married the heiress of Hayne, of Hayne,
which has, ever since that marriage, been the seat of this branch of the
family. Christopher Harris, Esq., the last heir male of this branch, died
in 1775, leaving two daughters, one of whom married Isaac Donithorne,
Esq., (now Harris) and in right of his wife proprietor of these estates and
patron of the rectory of Stowford.
In the parish-church are monuments of the family of Harris. (fn. 22) That
of Christopher Harris, Esq., who died in 1718, has his effigies in marble,
habited as a Roman Emperor. Margaret Doyle, widow, gave, in 1777, the
sum of 200l., now producing 9l. per annum, for teaching poor children.
SUTCOMBE, in the hundred of Black Torrington and in the deanery of
Holsworthy, lies about 5 miles from Holsworthy.
The manor of Sutcombe belonged, in the reign of Henry II., to the
family of Merton, whose heiress brought it to the Stawells. It is now the
property of Earl Stanhope, by inheritance from the Ridgways. (fn. 23) Theoborough, or Thuborough, belonged to the family of De Esse from a very
early period to the reign of Richard II., after which it passed by successive female heirs to Giffard and Prideaux. It was purchased of the
last-mentioned family (before the year 1773) (fn. 24) by the grandfather of Mr.
William Allen, the present proprietor, who resides here as occupier of
In the parish-church are memorials of the Prideaux family (fn. 25) , and of
Charles Davie, Esq., of Bideford, 1742. The Rev. William Holland
Coham is patron of the rectory. Sir William Morice, Secretary of State
to King Charles II., founded an almshouse at Sutcombe for six poor
people, and endowed it with lands, now let at 31l. per annum.
SWIMBRIDGE, in the hundred of South Molton and in the deanery of
Barnstaple, lies on the road from South Molton to Barnstaple, about seven
miles from the latter, and five from the former. The villages of Newland
and Accot are in this parish.
The manor of Swimbridge belongs to the Duke of Bedford. Ernsborough gave name to a family who possessed that manor at an early
period. They were succeeded by the Flavells, whose heiress brought it
to Sir John Mules, a younger son of the Lord Mules, and it continued in
his family for several generations. One of the co-heiresses of the last
Sir John Mules brought it to Dabernon, and the heiress of Dabernon to
Gifford. (fn. 26) In 1773, it was the joint property of Mr. Lewis Somerville and
William Berry, Esq., of West Buckland. This estate has been for some
time in the family of Hole, and is now the property of Henry Hole, Esq.,
of Ebberly. In Risdon's time there were considerable remains of the
manor-house: a correspondent of Mr. Chapple's speaks of a tower remaining in 1773. Dr. Cowell, the eminent civilian, author of "The Interpreter,"
was born at Ernsborough about the year 1554.
Dinington, in this parish, now called and written Doniton, gave name
to a family who possessed it at an early period. It was afterwards successively in the families of Handford, Chichester, and Bury, and is now the
property and seat of Richard Incledon Bury, Esq., Vice-Admiral of the Blue.
The barton of Hannaford, which was some time in the family of Southcomb,
is now the property of Mrs. Northcote, whose father was of that family.
The parish-church is a handsome Gothic structure, with a spire, and has
a rich screen in fine preservation. The north aisle, called St. Bridgett's
chapel, was built by Sir John Mules, and has his arms on the ceiling.
There are monuments and memorials of the families of Handford (fn. 27) , Rosier (fn. 28) ,
Chichester (fn. 29) , Cutcliffe (fn. 30) , and Berry. (fn. 31) The church was formerly esteemed a
chapel of Bishop's Tawton. The dean of Exeter is appropriator of the
great tithes, and patron of the vicarage.
There was formerly a chapel at Accot, of which there are some small
Risdon says that St. Hieritha, who was contemporary with Thomas à
Becket, was born at Stowford in this parish.
South Sydenham, or Sydenham Damarell
SOUTH SYDENHAM, or SYDENHAAI DAMARELL, in the hundred of Lifton
and in the deanery of Tavistock, lies about five miles from Tavistock.
The villages of Townlake, Partington, and Derriton, are in this parish.
The Damarells were lords of the manor in the reign of Edward I. At a
later period the manor was, for several generations, in the Tremaynes.
It was sold by the late Arthur Tremayne, Esq., in the year 1802, to
Richard Eales, Esq., by whom the estate was disposed of in lots. The
manor is now the property of John Carpenter, Esq., of Mount Tavy.
In the parish-church are monuments of the families of Richards (fn. 32) and
Freeman. (fn. 33) Mr. Carpenter is patron of the rectory. There was formerly
a chapel at Derriton, of which there are some traces.
The barton of Panson, in St. Giles' in the Heath (fn. 34) , pays to the rector
of this parish the sum of 14s. 8d., pursuant to an agreement made in 1630
between Percival Carwithen and the then rector. Risdon says that
Panson, although so far distant, is in this parish; but I am informed, on
enquiry, that it is now deemed to be in the parish of St. Giles'. Certain
lands in Maristow, formerly belonging to the Carwithens, were sold to
Sir Thomas Wise, reserving 13s. 10d., payable on the communion table
before 12 at noon on Easter-Monday, which custom is still kept up.