Tallaton, or Talaton
TALLATON, or TALATON, in the hundred of Hayridge and in the
deanery of Plymtree, lies about two miles and a half from Ottery
St. Mary, and about six from Honiton. The village of Larkbeare is in
The manor of Tallaton belonged to the Peverells of Sandford, by whose
co-heiresses it appears to have been alienated. In the reign of Edward III.
it was in moieties between Denband and Brigham; in the succeeding
reign between Sir Henry Percehay and Sir John Hill. The whole became
the property of Franceis, of Combe Flory, partly by descent from Percehay, and partly by purchase from Hill. Before this union the moieties
were called Tallaton Hill and Tallaton Percehay. These passed again
into separate hands, and one of them became the property of the Chichesters, from whom it passed by marriage to Harward. They were a
second time united in the family of Yonge. Sir William Yonge having
purchased one of the moieties of Blanch Harris, in 1750, and Sir George
Yonge the other in 1770, of John Harward, Esq., of Hayne. They are
now, by purchase from the late Sir George Yonge, the property of Sir
John Kennaway, Bart.
Escot, the seat of Sir John Kennaway, Bart., gave name to a family
who possessed it in the thirteenth century. It belonged afterwards to the
Beauchamps of Ryme, and was purchased of the co-heiresses of that
family by Richard Channon, Esq. The heiress of Channon joined with
her husband in the sale of this estate to Sir Walter Yonge, Bart., in 1680.
Sir Walter soon afterwards began to build Escot House, which was the
seat of his descendants till it was sold, in 1794, by the late Sir George
Yonge, K. B. and Bart., (some time Secretary at War, and Governor of
the Cape of Good Hope,) to Sir John Kennaway, Bart. Escot House,
the seat of Sir John Kennaway, Bart., in which Sir George Yonge had
the honor of entertaining their late Majesties, and three of the princesses,
at dinner, on the 14th of August, 1789, was burnt to the ground on the
28th of December, 1808. The fire broke out while the family were at
dinner, and the house, with all the furniture and most of the valuables,
was consumed before eleven at night. Sir John Kennaway has ever since
resided at a cottage at Fairmile, not far from the site of Escot House.
The manor of Larkbeare, partly in the parish of Whimple, and partly
in this parish, was probably the Lavrochebere which was held at the time
of the Domesday survey by Alured Brito: in the reign of King John,
Larkbeare belonged to the Pipards, whose heiress brought it to Lisle. It
was afterwards in the Courtenay family. In Sir William Pole's time it had
been for some descents in the family of Haydon, who purchased it after
the attainder of the Marquis of Exeter. (fn. 1) This manor is now the property
and residence of the Rev. Thomas Clack, whose wife's father, Richard
Stone, Esq., bought it of the Haydons.
The barton of Southcote, otherwise English Hayes, was for many
descents in the family of English, from whom it passed by successive
female heirs to Credy, Brimmer, and Michel. It was purchased of the
latter by Sir William Pole, whose descendant, Sir J. W. de la Pole, conveyed it in exchange to the late Sir George Yonge, Bart. It is now the
property of Sir John Kennaway, Bart.
It appears from a passage in Westcote, that Southcote was an occasional
residence of Sir William Pole, the antiquary. "Of the now possessors
(of estates in Tallaton), I know only the lord of Southcott who hath
beautified yt with a howse far beyond a cottage. It is now the seat of the
chiefest and most accomplished treasurer of the choice antiquities of this
countye. And yf yt had pleased him also to have byn the illustrator,
the worthe of the natives of this province, and his own sufficiencye, would
have byn the more vulgarly expressed and known the one for the other.
But he is seriously employed in matters of more importance and much
more necessary. Yet yf wee shall meet him at his chiefest residence and
at convenient leisure, wee will intreat him to vouchsafe us some dyrections
for our travell the remainder of this journey, for our better proceeding,
and he is so generous, affable, and courteous, so respecting to all lovers of
antiquities, that he can deny them nothing they demand, yea, he holds yt
a favor done to himself that they will be beholdinge unto him."
In the parish-church is a rich screen, and some memorials of the family
of Eveleigh (fn. 2) , who for several descents resided at Tallaton. The Rev.
Robert Palk Welland is patron and incumbent of the rectory. Elizabeth
Prideaux, in 1710, gave the interest of 33l. (1l. 13s. per annum) for instructing poor children. Tallaton is said to have been the birth-place of
Thomas Spratt, Bishop of Rochester, the poet, but his epitaph at Beminster speaks of him as a native of Dorsetshire.
TAMERTON FOLIOT, in the hundred of Roborough and in the deanery of
Tamerton, lies about five miles from Plymouth, and 13 from Tavistock.
In the Chantry Roll of 1547 it is called a borough.
A market at this place on Monday, and a fair for three days at the
festival of St. Dennis, were granted to the Lord of the Manor, in the year
1269. (fn. 3) There is now a cattle-fair on the third Wednesday in July.
Tamerton was one of the quarters of Prince Maurice's army, when he
besieged Plymouth from October to December, 1643. (fn. 4)
At the time of the Domesday survey, Alured Brito held the manor of
Tamerton in demesne: at an early period it belonged to the family of
Foliot, whose heiress, in the reign of Henry III., brought it to Gorges.
After continuing for six descents in that family, it passed by successive
female heirs to Bonville, Coplestone, and Bampfylde. In 1741, it was
purchased of the Bampfylde family by Walter Radcliffe, Esq., son of
Walter Radcliffe, Esq., of Frankland, sheriff of Devon in 1696, and
ancestor of the Rev. Walter Radcliffe, the present proprietor, who resides
at Warleigh, the ancient seat of the lords of the manor. The manor
of Langford, in this parish, belongs also to Mr. Radcliffe.
Martinstow, now called Maristow, the site of the ancient chapel of St.
Martin, belonged to the canons of Plympton. (fn. 5) After the dissolution, it
was granted (in 1544,) to the Champernownes, who in 1550, sold it to John
Slanning, Esq., of Shaugh. Maristow, which is situated on the banks of
the Tamer, is now the seat of Sir Masseh Manasseh Lopes, Bart., who purchased it, in 1798, of the co-heirs of the late John Modyford Heywood,
Esq., the representative of the Slannings. On the 22d of August, 1789,
their late Majesties, and three of the Princesses being then at Saltram,
honoured Mr. Heywood with a visit at Maristow, and were so much delighted with the romantic scenery of the grounds and woods, that they repeated their visit on the 24th, and spent many hours in admiring their diversified beauties. The ancient chapel at Maristow has been rebuilt by Sir
M. M. Lopes.
The barton of Cann, in this parish, belongs to E. H. Gennys, Esq.;
Looseleigh, to J. Langmead, Esq.; Ashleigh, to Mr. William Smith.
In the parish-church is an ancient monument with the effigies of a knight
in plate armour, probably one of the Gorges family; and the monument
of Copleston Bampfylde, Esq., æt. 10. (second son of Sir Copleston
Bampfylde,) 1669, with his effigies, represented in a gown and band, with
a large bushy wig, his hand on a book. There is a monument also for the
wife of Edward Calmady, Gent., 1617. The great tithes, which had been
appropriated to the priory of Plympton, are vested in Jonathan Elford, Esq.,
of Oakhampton. The King is patron of the vicarage. Divine service is
performed weekly in the domestic chapel at Maristow, by a minister appointed by Sir M. M. Lopes.
Mary Dean, in 1734, by deed, gave land for a school; and by will, the
same year, the sum of 480l., producing an interest of 19l. 4s. The land
now lets at about 60l. per annum.
TAVISTOCK, in the hundred and deanery of that name, is a considerable
market and borough town, 14 miles from Plymouth, 34 from Exeter, and
207 from London. (fn. 6)
The market, which is a great mart for corn and other provisions, is said
to have been granted by King Henry I. It was held formerly on Saturday,
now on Friday. Henry I.'s charter grants a fair on St. Rumon's day. When
Brice's dictionary was published, there were four fairs, April 25, August 29,
September 29, and November 30. The last is said to have been a great
fair for cattle and horses. There are now five cattle fairs, January 16, (fn. 7)
May 6, September 9, October 10, and December 11. There are great
markets on the last Friday in June, and the first Friday in November. It
has been resolved, that after the 1st of January, 1822, in lieu of these fairs
and great markets, six fairs shall be held in the year, on the second
Wednesday in January, May, July, September, October, November, and
Tavistock sent members to parliament as early as the reign of Edward I.
The returns are regular from the reign of Edward III. The right of
election is vested in freeholders of inheritance, inhabiting within the
borough, who are about fifty in number. The town is governed by a
portreeve, who is the returning officer. John Pym, one of the most distinguished republicans in the reign of Charles I., was several times returned for this borough, as was the unfortunate William Lord Russel, in
that of Charles II. This town had formerly a very extensive manufactory
of coarse serges established here at an early period. It is now on the
decline. There is an iron foundery at Tavistock, and an edge-tool manufactory. Tavistock is one of the Stannary towns.
The summer assizes were held at Tavistock, in the year 1591, in the
Abbey-green, on account of the plague raging at Exeter. Thirteen
criminals were executed. The quarter sessions were also held there.
The town and parish of Tavistock contained, according to returns made
to parliament in 1801, 3420; and in 1811, 4723 inhabitants. The parish
is of great extent, containing nearly 14,000 acres, the greater part of which
belongs to the Duke of Bedford. The principal villages in the out-parts
of the parish, are Cudlipptown, Wilmington, and Crevor.
Tavistock gives the title of Marquis to the eldest son of the Duke of
Bedford, whose ancestor was created Marquis of Tavistock and Duke of
Bedford, in 1696.
Tavistock does not appear to have been garrisoned during the civil war;
but it was at various times the quarters of some of the chiefs of the contending parties. Sir George Chudleigh was stationed there, in the beginning of the year 1643 (fn. 8) ; after the defeat of the parliamentary army at
Bradock-down, it was for some time the quarters of Sir John Berkely. (fn. 9)
In the month of July, 1644, the Earl of Essex took Sir Richard Grenville's
house at Tavistock, with 150 prisoners, two pieces of cannon, 1000 stand of
arms, and 3000l. in money. (fn. 10) The King was at Tavistock with his army
on his march for Cornwall in the month of September, 1644, and from
thence sent a message to parliament. (fn. 11) Prince Charles was at Tavistock for
some time, the latter end of 1645, and the beginning of 1646. (fn. 12)
The abbey of Tavistock was founded, as some say, in the year 961, by
Orgar, a noble Saxon, Earl of Devonshire; or as others, by his son Ordulph.
The history of the foundation, as printed by Dugdale from the Chartulary
of Tavistock, ascribes the foundation to Ordulph. Tavistock is said
to have been the seat of Ordgar, the story of whose beautiful daughter,
Elfrida, is well known. Tavistock Abbey was destroyed by the Danes,
in 997, but was soon afterwards rebuilt. The abbey was amply endowed by
the benefactions of the founder, his lady, and others. The revenues were
valued, at the time of its dissolution, at 902l. 5s. 7d. per annum. Tavistock
was, in 1458, made a mitred abbey; and in 1514, Richard Banham procured for himself and his successor what proved the short-lived honour of
a seat in parliament (fn. 13) ; he procured also from Pope Leo X. a bull, by which it
was exempted from episcopal jurisdiction, and from that of the metropolitan. (fn. 14)
There was a school for Saxon literature in this abbey, established not
long before the Reformation. There was also in the abbey a printing-press,
said to have been the second that had been set up in England. The productions of this press are extremely rare. (fn. 15) In the Abbey Church at Tavistock
were buried, Edward, brother of Edmund Ironside; Earl Orgar, and his
son Ordulph; St. Rumon, to whom the church was dedicated; Bishop Livingus; &c. John Courtenay, one of the abbots, was heir to the earldom
of Devonshire, which honour he declined in favour of his next brother.
The tower and the ruins of the abbey church, which had been dedicated by Bishop Stapledon, in 1318, were pulled down about the year
1670, the materials having been given for the purpose of building a schoolhouse. Browne Willis tells us, that, in the early part of the last century,
there remained the gate-house, then used as a prison for captive seamen;
the Saxon school, used for husbandry purposes, as a granary, &c.; the
walls of the kitchen and chapter-house, uncovered at top; and the refectory, then fitted up as a meeting-house for the Presbyterians. (fn. 16) Mr. E. A.
Bray, the present vicar, supposes that this building was the abbots' hall,
and that the refectory still remains, having been incorporated into the inn:
it is a large room on the first floor, principally used for giving entertainments
to the Duke of Bedford's tenants, and formerly was connected with what
B. Willis calls the refectory, and which is on the ground-floor, by means of
a gallery and staircase. Upon removing the ceiling some time ago, it
being in a state of decay, the original vaulted roof was discovered, but
much decayed; the windows of this room were restored by the direction
of Mr. Bray. The gate-house still remains.
On the site of the abbey was a mansion, held on lease, under the Earls
of Bedford, by the Maynard family, in which Serjeant Maynard was born
about the year 1602. The present abbey-house was built about a century
ago, by Mr. Saunders; this is now enlarging by the Duke of Bedford, for
the purpose of being fitted up as an inn.
The site of Tavistock Abbey, with the manor and hundred of Tavistock,
and the manors of Hurdwick, Morwell, Ogbear (fn. 17) , Parswell, and Ottery, in
this parish, and other large possessions, were granted by Henry VIII., in
1539, or 1540, to John Lord Russell, and are now the property of his descendant, the Duke of Bedford. The abbot of Tavistock had the power
of inflicting capital punishment in the manor of Hurdwick. (fn. 18)
Morwell House, an ancient mansion, with a chapel, &c., now a farmhouse, is said to have been a country seat of the abbots of Tavistock.
The manor of Cudlipptown, within the manor of Hurdwick, belongs to
the Rev. Edward Atkins Bray. It appears to have been in the Rolle family,
in the seventeenth century, and afterwards successively in those of Sawle,
and Fellowes. It was purchased in 1808, by the late Mr. Bray, of Peter
Reddicliffe, yeoman, to whom it had been conveyed, in 1789, by Henry
Arthur Fellowes, Esq. Fitzford, adjoining the town, was the seat of the
ancient family of Fitz, which became extinct in the early part of the
seventeenth century. It was afterwards in the Grenville family, and
belonged to Sir Richard Grenville, at the time of the civil war: having
passed by the will of Lady Howard, widow of — Grenville, Esq., to her
relation, Sir William Courtenay: it was purchased of his descendant, the
late Viscount Courtenay, by the grandfather of the Duke of Bedford, to
whom it now belongs. The remains of the old mansion have been converted into a farm-house.
Kilworthy, some time a seat of the Glanvilles, which came to the Manatons by marriage with the daughter, and eventually heiress of the judge's
eldest son, was purchased of the Rev. Mr. Butcher, who married one of
the co-heiresses of Manaton, by John Duke of Bedford, and is now the
property of his grandson, the present duke. Tavy-town, or Mount Tavy,
has been for some time the property and residence of the Carpenter family,
now of John Carpenter, Esq.
In the parish-church are the monument of Sir John Fitz, with the effigies
of himself in armour, and of his lady; and of John Glanville, one of the
Justices of the Common Pleas, who died in 1600, with his effigies in his
robes. There are monuments also of the Fortescues, of Buckland Filleigh (fn. 19) ; and Manaton, of Kilworthy. (fn. 20)
There was a chapel of St. Margaret, at Tavistock, and another of St.
John, near the river Tavy. (fn. 21)
The Duke of Bedford is impropriator of the great tithes which belonged
to the Abbey, and patron of the vicarage.
The Unitarians, Independent Calvinists, and Wesleyan Methodists, have
meeting-houses at Tavistock.
Bishop Tanner mentions a house of Austin friars at Tavistock, on the
authority of Pat. Rot. 8 Richard II. pt. 2. m. 29., and a hospital for lepers,
dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen. The latter, which is mentioned in
Bishop Brantingham's Register, under the year 1374 (fn. 22) , has been converted
into a poor-house.
Among eminent natives of this place may be reckoned; the celebrated Sir
Francis Drake, said to have been born in or near Tavistock; Sir John
Glanville, the Judge, his son, Sir John Glanville, a political writer; and
William Browne, a poet, born in 1590, whose works were popular in his
day; some of them, particularly the "Shepherd's Pipe," had become extremely rare: they were re-published in three volumes duodecimo, in 1772.
One of the Courtenay family gave 4l. per annum, to four widows in an
ancient hospital, or almshouse, at Tavistock (fn. 23) , restored by George Courtenay,
Esq., of Wallredon, in the reign of William III., and 4l. per annum for the
repair of the almshouse. (fn. 24) The widows now receive 2l. per annum each.
Sir John Glanville, in 1649, gave a tenement let at 8l. per annum, in
1786, for the maintenance of a boy at the grammar-school, and afterwards
at the university. The rent is now 15l. per annum, and the house has been
lately rebuilt. Nicholas Watts, in 1674, gave a moiety of certain rents,
amounting now only to 2l. 4s., and a moiety of the fines for the renewal of
leases, to be given to some sober hopeful youth, of the town of Tavistock,
who shall be fitting himself for the university (fn. 25) ; the other moiety, to such
religious maidens, as shall be of good report, for marriage-portions. Two
houses, one in Tavistock and one in Beer Alston, at the conventionary rent of
18s., were given to be appropriated in moieties, together with the fines, one
moiety for a youth preparing for the university, and the other for the purchase of good practical books of divinity, for poor householders. The same
Nicholas Watts gave lands now let at 52l. 12s. per annum, to be thus appropriated: 3l. per annum each, for life, to two poor ministers; 2l. per annum
each, to two others; the remainder, after allowing 1l. for the trustees'
dinner, to be given to such godly and religious persons as the trustees
shall think fit. The schoolmaster has now only a salary of 4l. 4s. per annum
out of the annuity of 120l. per annum, mentioned below, to which the
Duke of Bedford adds 20l. per annum, and a house for his residence. In
the year 1761, all the parish estates were vested in the Duke of Bedford,
for the yearly sum of 120l., excepting certain premises since converted
into an almshouse for fifteen poor persons.
Mary Tavy, or Tavy St. Mary
MARY TAVY, or TAVY ST. MARY, in the hundred of Lifton and in the
deanery of Tamerton, lies about three miles from Tavistock. The village
of Horndon is in this parish.
At the time of the Domesday survey the manor of Tavy was held in
demesne by Alured Brito. The manor and advowson of West Tavy have
been a considerable time in the family of Buller, and now belong to John
Buller, Esq., of Morval. The manor of Waven, or Warne, belongs to Arthur
Edgecumbe and others. Weal Friendship copper-mine is in this parish.
PETER TAVY, in the hundred of Roborough and in the deanery of
Tamerton, lies between two and three miles from Tavistock.
The manors of Peter Tavy and Huntingdon, in this parish, having been
parcel of the possessions of the abbey of Tavistock, belong to the Duke
of Bedford; the manor of Wilsworthy to John Buller, Esq. Sortridge,
which has been for several descents the property and residence of the
Pengelly family, now belongs to the Rev. Henry Pengelly.
In the parish-church is a memorial for the Rev. Thomas Pocock, 40
years rector (son of the learned Dr. Pocock), ob. 1722. The Bishop of
Exeter is patron of the rectory. There is a chapel at Wilsworthy, which
has been converted into a cow-house.
TAWSTOCK, in the hundred of Fremington and in the deanery of Barnstaple, lies about two miles and a half from Barnstaple. The villages of
Chapeltown, Prustacott, Hiscott, Eastercomb, Westercomb, and St. John's
Chapel, are in this parish. The three last are nearly adjoining to each
The manor belonged, in the reign of Henry II., to William Lord
Brewer, who gave it in marriage with his daughter to Robert Earl of
Leicester. The Countess of Leicester, having no children, gave it in her
widowhood to her niece Matilda, the wife of Henry de Tracy. Risdon
says that this was the seat of Henry de Tracy, Baron of Barnstaple, and
a judge in the reign of Henry III. His heiress brought Tawstock to
Nicholas Lord Martyn, from whom it descended through the families of
Audley, Fitzwarren, and Hankford, to the Bourchiers, earls of Bath.
Anne, the elder daughter and co-heiress of Edward Bourchier, Earl of
Bath, brought this estate to Sir Christopher Wrey, the immediate ancestor
of Sir Bourchier Wrey, Bart., of Tawstock Park, the present proprietor.
Tawstock House, which was nearly burnt down in 1787, was soon afterwards rebuilt from a design of Sir Bourchier Wrey's. An ancient gateway, with the arms and quarterings of that family, and the date of 1574,
is all that remains of the old mansion of the Bourchiers. Tawstock Park
abounds with beautiful scenery, and fine aged oaks: the high grounds
command rich and extensive views over the bay and town of Barnstaple,
&c. &c. Tawstock House was garrisoned by Sir Thomas Fairfax on the
19th of February, 1646. (fn. 26)
The manor of Hele, alias Templand or Templeton (fn. 27) , in this parish, has
belonged for some time to the Sturts, and is now the property of Henry
Charles Sturt, Esq., of Dorsetshire.
Corfe belonged formerly to the Hearles, and came to the Northcote
family by marriage with the daughter of Edward Lovett, Esq., who had
married the heiress of Hearle. Sir Henry Northcote, Bart., a physician,
resided at Corfe, and died there in 1730. This estate was exchanged,
in 1790, for glebe land, and the present parsonage-house was built on the
premises by the Rev. Bourchier William Wrey, now rector.
In the parish-church are several monuments of the Bourchiers (fn. 28) , earls of
Bath, the families of Wrey (fn. 29) (Baronet), Northcote (fn. 30) , Rolle (fn. 31) , Pagett (fn. 32) ,
Lovett (fn. 33) , Peter Bold, the last of the family of Bold of Upton, in Cheshire,
1665, &c. &c. (fn. 34) Sir Bourchier Wrey, Bart., is patron of the rectory.
Margaret Pine, in 1758, gave 2l. per annum for the instruction of poor
children of this parish.
BISHOP'S TAWTON, in the hundred of South Molton and in the deanery
of Barnstaple, lies about two miles and a half from Barnstaple.
The manor was, at a very early period, given to the bishops of Devonshire, and was the original Bishop's See. Putta, the second bishop,
removed the See to Crediton. The manor was alienated from the See
by Bishop Veysey, who in 1550 conveyed it, by royal requisition, to
John Lord Russell, afterwards Earl of Bedford: the conveyance was
confirmed by the dean and chapter, by grant from the crown in the
reign of Edward VI., and by an act of parliament in that of Elizabeth. It
has continued ever since in this noble family, being now the property of
the Duke of Bedford. The lords of this manor had formerly the power of
inflicting capital punishment. (fn. 35)
The bishops had a palace at Bishop's Tawton many centuries after the
See was removed. Some ruins of it are still to be seen.
The manor of Accot was given by a bishop of Exeter, soon after the
Conquest, to the ancestor of Drugo de Teignton: it was afterwards in the
Giffard family, and having been sold by the co-heiresses, and after some
intermediate alienations, the several parts came, one by inheritance from
Hall, and two by purchase, to the ancestor of Charles Chichester, Esq., of
Hall, the present proprietor.
Hall, which is in this parish, gave name to a family whose heiress
brought it to a younger son of the Chichester family, the founder of the
Hall branch, and immediate ancestor of Charles Chichester, Esq., the
Pill gave name to a family who were succeeded by the Fowkes. From
the latter it passed by successive female heirs to Perrot and Travers. The
manor of Helmeston or Halmeston belonged, at an early period, to the
family of Fowke or Fulke, one of whose co-heiresses brought it to the
Aclands, and from them it passed by successive female heirs to Mules,
Bennet, and Hawkey. Both these estates have passed, by purchase, into
the Chichester family, and are now the property of Charles Chichester,
In the parish-church are monuments of Sir John Chichester of Hall,
1669; (Ursula, his wife, daughter of Sir William Strode, ob. 1635;)
Francis Chichester, Esq., 1698; and John Mules, Esq., of Helmeston,
(descended from Mules of Ernsborough,) 1633. The great tithes
belong to the dean of Exeter (fn. 36) , who is patron of the vicarage. In the
church-yard are the ruins of an ancient building, called the Deanery,
belonging to the dean of Exeter. The church is in the bishop's peculiar
Newport, in this parish, about a mile from Barnstaple, on the turnpikeroad from South Molton, is said to have been anciently a borough-town,
and to have been governed by a mayor. It had formerly a market on
Monday, granted in 1294, together with a fair for three days at the
festival of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist. (fn. 37) There was formerly a
chapel at Newport, the ruins of which were taken down about the middle
of the last century.
NORTH TAWTON, in the hundred of that name and in the deanery of
Chulmleigh, lies about six miles and a half from Oakhampton, on the
road to Crediton. It was anciently a market and borough town, and is
still governed by a portreeve elected annually, who has a small field during
his year of office. From its ancient appellation of Cheping Tawton, it is
evident that it was a market-town long before the grant to John Valletort in
1270 (fn. 38) , of a market on Wednesday, and a fair for three days at the festival
of St. Nicholas. The market, which was afterwards held on Friday, was
discontinued about the year 1720. There are now three cattle-fairs, the
third Tuesday in April, Oct. 3., and Dec. 18. There was formerly a considerable woollen manufacture at North Tawton, but it has much declined:
there is still a spinning-mill in the parish.
The manor of North Tawton, which had been ancient demesne of the
crown, belonged, in the early part of Henry the Third's reign, to the
Valletorts, among whose co-heirs it was divided after a few generations.
Two of the co-heiresses married into the Champernowne family. Oliver
Champernowne, the husband of one of these, died without male issue
in the reign of Edward III. The Stapledons held the barton of Barton
Babidge, in this parish, and the advowson of the rectory, of Egelina, who
had been the wife of Oliver Champernowne, and from them it descended
to the St. Legers. It is probable that the whole became centered in that
family, the manor being now the property of the Honourable Newton
Fellowes, whose ancestor, William Fellowes, Esq., purchased it, in 1718,
of Adam Pierce, Esq., and others. (fn. 39)
Near the church is a moated site, called Court Green, supposed to have
been the ancient seat of the Valletorts.
The manor of Crook Burnell, alias Stone, has belonged for a considerable
time to the family of Sturt, being now the property of Henry Charles
Sturt, Esq., of Dorsetshire. (fn. 40)
Ashridge, in this parish, was the seat of Richard Atwood, who married
one of the co-heiresses of Oliver Champernowne. His descendants, by
the name of Wood, alias Atwood, continued to possess and reside at
Ashridge for many generations. It is now the property of Mr. John
Skinner, in whose family it has been for a considerable time. The barton
of Bath, which gave name to the family of Bath, or de Bathonia, is now
the property of John Quick, Esq., of Newton St. Cyres. It was formerly
in the Sladers, and afterwards in the Chichester family. (fn. 41)
The barton of Nicholas, or Nicholls Nymet, having been for a considerable time in the family of Hole, was sold by the Rev. T. Hole to the
father of Mr. John Wreford, the present proprietor.
In the parish-church are memorials of William Kelland, Gent., 1781,
and some children of Mr. John Prideaux, 1777—1801. The Rev. Thomas
Hole is patron and incumbent of the rectory. There were formerly
chapels at Bath barton, Nicholls Nymet, and at Crook Burnell. The
chapel at Nicholls Nymet fell down about 1769; that at Crook Burnell
was standing in 1772. (fn. 42)
There is an Independent meeting-house at North Tawton.
Henry Tozer, author of some devotional tracts, popular in their day,
one of which, "Directions for a Godly Life," went through ten editions,
was a native of this parish. He was expelled from Exeter College for his
loyalty in 1648.
The charity-school at this place has an endowment in land of about 14l.
per annum, chiefly arising from a benefaction of the Rev. Richard Hole
in 1747. Charles Kelland, in 1758, gave the sum of 20l.
SOUTH-TAWTON, in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery of
Dunsford, lies about five miles from Oakhampton. The village of South
Zeal, and part of Sticklepath, are in this parish.
The manor of South Tawton, which had been held in dower by Harold's
mother, and afterwards fell to the crown, was given by King Henry I. to
Roselm Beaumont, Viscount de Mayne, whose grand-daughter brought it
to Roger de Tony. In the reign of Edward II., it belonged to Walter
Tantifer, from whom it passed by successive heirs female to Chiseldon and
Wadham. This manor, by the name of Black-hall, is now the joint property of the Honourable Charles Percy Wyndham, one of the representatives of Wadham, and of Mr. James Pitts, by purchase from William
The manor of South-Tawton, alias East Ash, had belonged for some
years to the Northmore family in 1711. The manor of Gooseford, was
also in the Northmores: both these estates were afterwards the property
of J. Bailey, Esq., of Whiddon Park, of whom it was purchased some years
ago by the present possessors, Messrs. John and Thomas Moore: part of
the manor of East Ash has been sold off. North Week, or Wike, in this
parish, was the property and residence of the ancient family of Wike, or
Weeks, who possessed also Cocktree, the ancient seat of the Burnells,
which came to them by marriage with the heiress of that family; and the
manor of Ilton. Francis Weeks, Esq., the last heir male, sold that manor
with Cocktree, to Robert Hole, Esq., who married one of his sisters.
Ilton is now, by marriage with the daughter of Mr. John Sture, the property of Mr. John Damarel: Great and Little Cocktree belong to the
Rev. Thomas Hole. Mr. Weeks sold North Week, the ancient seat of his
family, to Mr. George Hunt, who married another of his sisters: the
co-heiresses of Mr. Hunt brought this estate to Clapp and Luxton; from
which families it passed, by sale, to the late John Tickell, Esq., and Mr.
Andrew Arnold, the latter of whom is still in possession. The old mansion
of the Weeks' family, is dilapidated. West Week, which belonged to the
Battishulls, and afterwards to the Oxenhams, is now the joint property of
Thomas Acland, and his sister, Mrs. Hoare. (fn. 43) Week-town, or Wikington,
was formerly the property and residence of the Milfords; it now belongs to
Mr. John Westawar, by purchase from Lang. The old mansion on this
estate is dilapidated, and now occupied as a farm-house.
Oxenham gave name to an ancient family, who possessed it at least
from the time of Henry III. till the death of the late William Long
Oxenham, Esq., in 1814. Captain John Oxenham, who had been the
friend and companion of Sir Francis Drake, and who, having fitted out a
ship on a voyage of discovery and enterprize on his own account, lost his
life in an engagement with the Spaniards in South America, in 1575, is
supposed to have been of this family. The family has been remarkable
also for the tradition of a bird having appeared to several of its members
previously to their death. Howell, who had seen mention of this circumstance on a monument at a stone mason's in Fleet-street, which was about
to be sent into Devonshire, gives a copy of the inscription in one of his
letters. It is somewhat curious that this letter proves the fact alleged
by Wood, that Howell's work does not consist entirely of genuine
letters, but that many of them were first written when he was in the Fleet
prison, to gain money for the relief of his necessities. This letter, dated
July 3. 1632, relates that, as he passed by the stone-cutter's shop, "last
Saturday," he saw the monument with the inscription, relating the circumstance of the apparition. It appears, however, by a very scarce pamphlet (fn. 44) in
the late Mr. Gough's collection, now in the Bodleian library, that the persons
whose names are mentioned in the epitaph, given in Howell's letter, all died
in the year 1635, three years after the date of his letter. The persons to
whom the apparition is stated in the pamphlet to have appeared were John
Oxenham, son of James Oxenham, gentleman, of Zeal Monachorum, aged
twenty-one, and said to have been six feet and a half in height, who died
September 5. 1635; a bird with a white breast having appeared hovering
over him two days before; Thomazine, wife of James Oxenham, the
younger, who died September 7. 1635, aged 22; Rebecca Oxenham, who
died September 9., aged eight years; and Thomazine, a child in the cradle,
who died September 15. It is added, that the same bird had appeared to
Grace, the grandmother of John Oxenham, who died in 1618. It is stated
also, that the clergyman of the parish had been appointed by the Bishop
(Dr. Hall) to enquire into the truth of these particulars, and that a
monument, made by Edward Marshall, of Fleet-street, had been put up
with his approbation, with the names of the witnesses of each apparition.
Another proof that Howell's letter must have been written from
memory is, that most of the Christian names are erroneous. The pamphlet
adds, that those of the family who had been sick and recovered never
saw the apparition. This tradition of the bird had so worked upon the
minds of some of the members of this family, that it was supposed to
have been seen by William Oxenham, who died in 1743. Mr. Chapple
mentions having had the relation from Dr. Bent, who was brother-in-law
to Mr. Oxenham, and had attended him as a physician. (fn. 45) The story
told is, that when the bird came into his chamber, he observed upon the
tradition as connected with his family, but added, he was not sick enough
to die, and that he should cheat the bird; and that this was a day
or two before his death, which took place after a short illness. It is proper
to add, that there is no trace of the Oxenham family, nor of the monument
before mentioned, either in the register, church, or church-yard of Zeal
Monachorum, nor have I been able to learn that it exists at Tawton, or
elsewhere in the county. The mansion at Oxenham has long been inhabited as a farm-house. The estate is now, in consequence of the marriage of the late Arthur Acland, Esq., with the daughter of William Oxenham, Esq., the joint property of Thomas Acland, Esq., and his sister the
wife of Hugh Hoare, Esq.
In the parish church are memorials of the families of Northmore (fn. 46) and
Oxenham (fn. 47) ; and some without inscription, (1592 and 1651,) which appear
to have belonged to the family of Burgoyne. The dean and chapter of
Windsor are appropriators of the great tithes and patrons of the vicarage.
South Zeal, in this parish, described in ancient records as a borough (fn. 48) ,
had in ancient times a market on Thursday, granted, in 1298, to Robert
de Tony, with two fairs for eight days each; one at the festival of the
Assumption of the Virgin Mary, the other at the festival of St. Kalixtus
the Pope. (fn. 49) There is now a cattle-fair at South Zeal on the Tuesday in the
week following the festival of St. Thomas à Becket. The manor of South
Zeal belongs to George Sydenham Fursdon, Esq.: it was formerly in the
family of Tapson, from whom it passed to Mr. Fursdon's father, under the
will of John Tapson, M. D., the last heir male of that family.
The Burgoynes, a younger branch of the Bedfordshire family of that
name, had, for several descents, a seat at South Zeal: this estate was sold
to the Oxenhams, about the year 1700, and now belongs to Mr. Acland
and Mrs. Hoare. There was formerly a chapel at South Zeal, now used as
Tedburne St. Mary
TEDBURNE ST. MARY, in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery of
Dunsford, lies about seven miles from Exeter. The villages of Taphouse
and Upcott are in this parish. There is a cattle-fair at Tedburne, on the
Monday before Michaelmas-day.
At the time of taking the Domesday survey, the manor of Tedbourne,
(Teteborne,) was held by Ralph de Pomerai, under Baldwin de Sap. In
the thirteenth century, it belonged to the family of Tedbourn; at a later
period, to the Uptons of Lupton. It has been for a considerable time in
the Tuckfield family, and is now the property of R. Hippisley Tuckfield,
Esq. Hackworthy, in this parish, gave name to a family who possessed
the manor for several descents, and became extinct in the reign of Henry VI.
At a later period, it was in the Aclands; and in the early part of the last
century, in the Harris family. It is now the property of Baldwin Fulford,
Esq.; who possesses also the manor or barton of Melhuish in this parish.
The barton of Huish is the property of John White, Esq.
In the parish-church are memorials of Edward Gee, rector, who published a popular manual of devotion, and died in 1613; Baldwin Acland,
B. D., 1672, and William Copleston, Gent., 1705. The Rev. Charles Burn
is patron and incumbent of the rectory. There was formerly a chapel at
Teign-Grace, or Teyngrace
TEIGN-GRACE, or TEYNGRACE, usually written TEINGRACE, in the hundred of Teignbridge and in the deanery of Moreton, lies about two miles
from Newton Abbot.
The manor, anciently called Teign Bruer, was held, at the time of the
Domesday survey, by Ralph de Bruer, under Baldwin the Sheriff: one of
the co-heiresses of the Bruer family married Graas, or Grace. One moiety
of the manor, retaining the name of Teign Bruer, passed to Downe, and
with a co-heiress of Downe, to Holcomb. The heiress of Graas brought
the manor of Teign Grace to the Coplestons, from whom it passed to a
branch of the Courtenay family. It was purchased, between 1760 and 1770,
of one of the co-heiresses of Kelland Courtenay, Esq., by James Templer,
Esq., grandfather of George Templer, Esq., the present proprietor. The
lords of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. 50)
Stover Lodge, the seat of Mr. Templer, was built by his grandfather, of
granite from High Tor, about the year 1781.
The parish-church was rebuilt in the year 1787, at the expense of three
brothers of the Templer family (fn. 51) , and is very handsomely fitted up. In the
north transept, near the desk, is a large urn of Coade's manufactory, given
by Sir John de la Pole, in 1794. At the east end, on each side the altar,
over which is placed a painting of "Our Lady of Pity," by Barry, are
monuments of James Templer, Esq., who died in 1782, and Mary, his wife,
who died in 1784. On the north side is a cenotaph for Charles Templer,
who perished in the wreck of the Halsewell East Indiaman, in 1786. (fn. 52)
On the west wall is a handsome cenotaph in memory of the illustrious
Nelson, "slain in battle October 21. 1805;" and the monument of Cornwallis, Lord Hawarden, who died in 1803. There are monuments also of
James Templer, Esq., master of the crown-office, 1813; Jane, wife of the
Rev. John Templer, 1813; Captain Richard Dunn, of the royal navy,
1813; and Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Line Templer, (who married Mary,
daughter of Sir F. L. Rogers, Bart.,) 1818. George Templer, Esq., is
patron of the rectory.
There is a school at Teign-grace, upon Dr. Bell's plan, supported by
The Teign-grace canal, projected about the year 1770, by James Templer, Esq., and completed by his son, the late Mr. Templer, has its line, of
about four miles, chiefly through this parish; it was principally intended
for the exportation of the pipe-clay and granite dug in this and the neighbouring parishes. (fn. 53)
EAST TEIGNMOUTH, in the hundred of Exminster and deanery of Kenne,
lies on the sea-coast, about eighteen miles from Exeter: it is divided from
West Teignmouth by a brook called the Tame.
This town had a charter for a market on Saturday, granted to the dean
and chapter of Exeter, in the year 1253; together with a fair for three
days, at the festival of St. Michael. The Hundred Roll, of the reign of
Edward I., states that the Bishop had held a market at Teignmouth for
the last seven years, on Saturday, in his manor, but that it ought to be in
the borough. The market is now held on Saturday, for provisions of all
sorts. A new market-place has lately been erected by Mr. Wm. Rolfe.
The fairs are the third Tuesday in January, the last Tuesday in February,
and the last Tuesday in September. Westcote mentions a much-frequented fair at Teignmouth on Good-Friday. (fn. 54)
Teignmouth is much frequented as a bathing place, and has all requisite
accommodation for invalids. It appears to have become fashionable, and
to have increased in buildings, about the middle of the last century. (fn. 55)
Teignmouth has, for more than a century, carried on a considerable trade
in the Newfoundland fishery, which has been abandoned by some of the
towns on the north coast. Considerable quantities of granite, pipe, and
potters' clay, manganese, timber, bark, cyder, &c., are exported from this
place; and coal, culm, deals, iron, &c., besides groceries and various merchandize from London, imported. Teignmouth is within the port of
Exeter. A large and commodious quay has lately been constructed on the
east side of the river, in this parish, by George Templer, Esq., at whose
expense, a rail-road for the conveyance of granite from Haytor, has also
been made. There is a considerable fishery at Teignmouth for whiting,
mackerel, pilchards, soles, turbot, &c., and for salmon in the river Teign.
The parish of East Teignmouth contained, in 1811, about 1100; in 1821,
The dean and chapter of Exeter possessed the paramount manor of
East Teignmouth from an early period till about the year 1803, when it
was sold, under the powers of the land-tax redemption act, to Francis Webber, Esq. It was purchased of Mr. Webber by Lord Viscount Courtenay,
who before possessed a manor held under it, called Teignmouth Courtenay,
said to have been acquired by his ancestor, in the reign of Edward III.
The church was originally a chapel to Dawlish: it is now esteemed a
daughter-church; the perpetual curacy being in the gift of the vicar of
There is a meeting-house of Independent Dissenters at this place.
Sir John Elwill, in 1724, gave the sum of 150l. for the instruction of
four poor children of East, and eight of West Teignmouth. Captain John
Colman, and Captain Thomas Colman, in 1731, gave 50l. for the education
of poor children of East Teignmouth. A handsome school-room has,
within these few years, been erected at West Teignmouth; in which the
poor children of both parishes are educated, it being supported by a liberal
voluntary subscription. There are now about 230 children in the school. (fn. 56)
WEST TEIGNMOUTH adjoins to East Teignmouth, on the sea-coast, being
in the same hundred and deanery.
West Teignmouth was, at an early period, a celebrated haven, and sent
members to a council at Westminster, in the reign of Edward I. Both
Camden and Risdon say that the Danes first landed in England at West
Teignmouth, in 787; but it appears to have been mistaken for Tynemouth,
in Northumberland, which is certainly the Tinemutha of the Saxon
Chronicle. The port of Teignmouth furnished seven ships and 120
mariners for the fleet of King Edward III., with which he undertook the
expedition against Calais, in 1347. (fn. 57) Teignmouth was burned by a
French pirate, in 1340. (fn. 58) It is said to have experienced the same fate in
Queen Anne's wars: the editors of the Magna Britannia, published in
1720, observe, that the inhabitants having procured a brief (fn. 59) , to which the
public willingly contributed, were gainers by the event; their houses, which
were old and mean, having been rebuilt and improved. The editors of the
Magna Britannia have fallen into a mistake as to the date of the above
event: it was in the year 1690 that Teignmouth was burnt by the French.
In 1744, the principal inhabitants of East and West Teignmouth, and
Shaldon, presented a petition to Sir William Courtenay, stating that the
French had plundered and burnt the place, in the second year of William and
Mary, and that they then threatened a second visit: they petition, therefore,
that he would allow them to erect, at their own expense, a small battery on
the beach within his manor of East Teignmouth, and that he would support their prayer to the Lords of the Admiralty for a supply of small arms,
cannon, and ammunition. (fn. 60) This battery still exists. At this time, (1744,)
East and West Teignmouth, with Shaldon, contained 800 houses, and at
least 4000 inhabitants, and fitted out twenty ships of from 50 to 200 tons
each for the Newfoundland trade.
The manor, which had belonged to the see of Exeter, was alienated, at
the requisition of the crown, by Bishop Veysey, in 1549, to Sir Andrew
Dudley, Knight. It was afterwards in the Cecil family. In 1614, it was
purchased of William Cecil, Earl of Salisbury, by Richard Martyn, Esq.;
from whose family it passed by marriage to that of Clifford, and is now the
property of the Right Honourable Charles, Lord Clifford.
The parish-church is a large and handsome structure, lately erected on
the site of the old church, under the powers of an act, passed in 1815, for
enlarging and repairing the churches of East and West Teignmouth. In
this church are, among others, the monuments of Lucy, daughter of the
Honourable and Reverend Edward Townshend, Dean of Norwich, 1786;
Mary, daughter of the Rev. F. H. Foote, of Charlton, in Kent, 1789;
John Lucas, Esq., Captain in the East India Company's service, 1792; and
Henry Chichley Michell, Esq., 1806. In the church-yard is the tomb of
Elias Carter, incumbent of the benefice upwards of sixty-eight years, who
died in 1766, aged 90. West Teignmouth is a daughter-church to Bishop's
Teignton; and the minister, as perpetual curate, is appointed by the vicar
of that parish. Previously to 1816 the two adjoining parishes had been
from time immemorial served by the same curate, who was appointed
alternately by the vicars of Dawlish and Bishop's Teignton.
There was formerly an hospital about a mile from the town, on the
road to Dawlish, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen. It has long been destroyed: the walls of the chapel had been standing in the early part of the
last century. An estate is said to have been charged with a stipend to the
minister for monthly service in the chapel. Robert Hayman gave land to
the poor in the Maudlin-house, but I have not been able to procure any
particulars of its value.
BISHOP'S TEIGNTON, in the hundred of Exminster and in the deanery of
Kenne, lies about two miles from Teignmouth, and about fourteen from
Exeter. Luton and Combe are villages in this parish.
The manor of Bishop's Teignton was anciently part of the demesnes of
the see of Exeter. In 1549, at the requisition of the crown, Bishop Veysey alienated the manor, with the rectory and advowson of the vicarage, and
the manor of Radway, to Sir Andrew Dudley. Soon afterwards it passed
to the Cecil family: in 1614, it was sold by William, Earl of Salisbury, to
Richard Martyn, Esq., from whose family this estate passed, by descent,
to Lear. The heiress of Lear married Sir Thomas Tipping, Bart.; and
afterwards Thomas Comyns, Esq., grandfather of the Rev. John Comyns,
of Wood, in this parish; who possesses also the manors of Bishop's Teignton,
and Radway. On the Radway estate was the palace, erroneously supposed
to have been built by Bishop Grandisson, for himself and his successors,
that they might have a place to lay their heads in, if the temporalities of
the see should be seized. (fn. 61) The error appears to have originated from a
passage in a letter from this prelate to Pope John XXII., written in the
early part of his episcopate, in which he says, that there were fair buildings
at Teignton, but that the temporalities of the see had been so often seized
by the crown, and on such occasions the houses had been so injured and
dilapidated, that the Bishop had not where to lay his head. (fn. 62) It had from
ancient times been one of the country seats of the bishops. Bishop Bronscombe, is known to have occasionally resided there. (fn. 63) The site of the
Bishop's palace at Radway, in which ordinations were occasionally held (fn. 64) ,
is now called Old Walls: there are no remains of the building, except a
small part of the chapel.
The manor of Luton, in this parish, belonged to the Martyns, one of
whose co-heiresses brought it to Thomas, Lord Clifford, ancestor of
Charles, Lord Clifford, the present proprietor. The manor of Lindridge
belonged, successively, to the Martyns and Lears; and Lindridge
House was their seat. Peter Lear, Esq., of this place, was created a
baronet in 1683. After the death of Sir John Lear, the last baronet,
in 1736, this place was sold by Thomas Comyns, Esq., who married his
heiress, to Dr. Finney. By subsequent sales, it passed to the families of
Baring and Line. Lindridge is now the property and seat of the Rev.
John Templer, by purchase from the heirs of his brother, Colonel Henry
Line Templer, devisee of John Line, Esq., who died in 1777. The present house is only the centre of the old mansion, which had an extended
front, with two wings. A saloon, of large dimensions, remains as fitted up,
in 1673, by Sir Peter Lear.
Wear, in this parish, is the property and residence of Mr. Edward Pidsley;
Venn, of Mr. Thomas Narramore; and Green, of Mr. John Cove, whose
family have resided there upwards of two hundred years.
In the parish-church are monuments of the Martyns (fn. 65) , of Lindridge; Sir
Peter Lear, Bart., 1683; and Samuel Cranston Goodall, Esq., admiral
of the white, 1801. There are memorials also for the family of Cove. (fn. 66)
John Risdon, "Sacerdotis septuagenarii, annos nati tantum non centenos (fn. 67) ,"
1684; and William Risdon, who was vicar only ten weeks, 1685. In the
church-yard is a memorial for John Perryman, who was upwards of 100
years of age, 1794. The great tithes appear to have been appropriated to
the Bishops of Exeter in Bishop Grandisson's time, ad mensam episcopi.
The rectory and advowson, which were alienated with the manor, had been
some time in the family of Balle, of whom they were purchased by
Thomas Comyns, Esq., grandfather of the present proprietor. The church
is a peculiar of the Bishop's. In the church-yard are the remains of a
chapel, probably the sanctuary chapel, built by Bishop Grandisson. There
was formerly a chapel at Venn.
Sir John Lear, Bart., who died in 1736, gave 100l. for educating children,
which was laid out in the purchase of land, now producing 12l. per annum.
Mr. Charles Colman, in 1729, gave 200l., to be laid out in land: the trustees laid out the sum of 357l. 10s., borrowing the deficiency, which has
since been paid off. The estate now produces a rent of 40l. per annum.
DREW'S TEIGNTON, in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery of
Dunsford, lies about eight miles from Crediton. Part of Crockernwell is in
this parish, and the remainder in that of Cheriton Bishop.
This parish is supposed by some to have taken its name from the Druids;
by others (fn. 68) , with more probability, from Drogo or Drewe, who possessed the
manor in the reigns of Henry II. and Richard I., and called himself Drewe
de Teignton. From this Drewe the manor passed to the Dabernons; in the
reign of Henry VI. it was in the Dernfords: it was afterwards, for many
generations, in the Carews of Anthony. In 1791 it was sold in lots by
the Right Honourable Reginald Pole Carew. The manor now belongs
to Messrs. Ponfords and Mr. John Pitts, whose families had been tenants
of the estate. The lords of this manor had the power of inflicting capital
punishment. (fn. 69)
The manor of Combehall, or Combe Hele, belonged to the ancient
family of Knovill, and passed by successive female heirs to Archdekne,
Luscot, and Lanherne. It afterwards belonged to the Fulfords. This
manor also, and that of Fursham, are in parcels belonging to the families
of Ponsford, Lambert, &c., resident farmers. The barton of Shilston,
on which is the celebrated Cromlech, belongs to Mr. James Luke, of Exeter.
The ancient family of Furse had lands in this parish before the reign of
Richard I. (fn. 70)
The barton of Drascombe, on which a valuable tin-lode was lately
discovered, belonged to the Rev. Simon Pidsley, lately deceased. The
family of Ponsford are patrons of the rectory. This parish abounds with
fine scenery of rocks and woods.
KING'S TEIGNTON, in the hundred of Teignbridge and in the deanery of
Moreton, lies two miles from Newton Abbot, between four and five from
Teignmouth, and 13 from Exeter. The villages of Preston and Gappah
are in this parish.
The manor, which had been part of the ancient demesnes of the crown,
was given by Henry II. to Peter Burdon (fn. 71) , with a moiety of the hundred
of Teignbridge. The last heir male of this branch died in the reign of
Henry IV., when this manor passed with its heiress to Thorpe. In 1509
the heiress of Thorpe brought it to Thomas Clifford, Esq., ancestor of
Lord Clifford, the present proprietor. The lords of this manor had the
power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. 72)
Ware, in this parish, which was a seat of the Horwells, passed by successive marriages to Clifford and Bampfylde. It is marked in the maps of
1765 as a seat of the Bampfyldes, but is now a farm-house belonging to
Lord Clifford. Babcombe, formerly a seat of the Heles, is now also a
farm of Lord Clifford's. The manor of Gappah, or Gappey Bolhay,
seems by its name to have belonged to the ancient family of Bolhay. At
a later period it was in the Heles, whose heiress brought it to Trelawney:
having passed by the same title as Stapledon to the daughters of the Honourable Rose Herring May, it was sold by them to the Right Honourable
Lord Clifford, who is the present proprietor.
Whiteway, in this parish, was held, at the time of the Domesday survey,
by Ralph, under Baldwin the Sheriff. Not long afterwards it belonged to
to Fukery, whose heiress married De la Torre. A younger son of the
last-mentioned family, in the reign of Henry II., took the name of Whiteway. From Whiteway it passed by successive female heirs to Hurst and
Bodley. It was sold by the latter, in the early part of the seventeenth
century, to Yarde of Bradley, who resided here many years. It is now a
farm-house, the property of Hugh Yarde, Esq.
In the parish-church are monuments and inscribed grave-stones in memory
of the families of Clifford (fn. 73) ; Horwell of Ware; Hele (fn. 74) of Badcombe;
Nicholas Downing (fn. 75) , vicar, 1666; Richard Adlam (fn. 76) , vicar, 1670; and Christopher Beeke (fn. 77) , 61 years vicar, 1798. Mr. Incledon's church notes, taken
in 1769, mention memorials of the family of Yarde of Whiteway. (fn. 78)
The parishioners of High Week have a portion of the church-yard of
King's Teignton, for which they pay an acknowledgment of 10s. per
annum. The great tithes, with the manor of Preston, are appropriated to
a prebendary of the church of Salisbury, who is patron of the vicarage.
Theophilus Gale, a learned non-conformist divine of the seventeenth
century, was son of Dr. Theophilus Gale, vicar of this parish, and was
born at King's Teignton in 1628.
There is a meeting-house of dissenters at King's Teignton. The
Chantry roll of 1547 (fn. 79) mentions an hospital at this place for five poor
people, founded by John Gilbert, who gave 100l. to the mayor of Exeter
to purchase land for its endowment, and settled a stipend of 3l. 6s. 8d. on
a priest for officiating in the chapel. I cannot learn that there are any
traces of this charitable institution in existence.
TEMPLETON, in the hundred of Tiverton and in the deanery of Tiverton,
lies about five miles from Tiverton.
The manor belonged to the Templars, and afterwards to the Knights
Hospitallers. After the dissolution it was granted to George Loosemore,
who sold it to Sir William Periam, Chief Baron of the Exchequer. Sir
William Pole acquired it in marriage with the Chief Baron's eldest daughter, and it continued in his family till sold by his descendant, the late
Sir John William De la Pole, to Charles Chichester, Esq., the present
The church was, in 1335, called the chapel of Temple, and was then
esteemed to be in the parish of Witheridge. The present church was
dedicated in 1439. Templeton is now a rectory, of which Sir William
Templer Pole, Bart., is patron. Mary Carwithen, in 1741, gave 10l.,
which produced 8s. per annum, for the teaching one poor child of Templeton, but this benefaction has been lost.