ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS.
P. xxx. Add Salcombe in Marlborough to the chapels in this page.
P. xxxix — xlix. There is a difference of 280 between the total number of inhabitants of the county, as given in p. xxxix. and that in the
Population Abstract, as printed by the House of Commons. My list is
correctly printed from the returns as originally sent in to the office of the
clerk of the peace at Exeter (fn. 1) ; the difference has arisen from some of the
returns, which were erroneous, having been sent back to the several
parishes to be corrected. The principal corrections were as follows: the
number of inhabitants at Dunterton, as printed in the Population Abstract,
will be found to be only 126; at Sowton, 339; at Yarnscombe, 463. The
difference between 755 and 754 at Wolfardisworthy, may have been accidental; as well as that of 3522 and 3524 at Ottery, and of 8651 and 8631
at Tiverton. The parish of Rousedown containing one house and 14 inhabitants is stated separately in the Population Abstract. Haccombe is
also stated separately as containing two houses and 27 inhabitants. It is
stated in a note that Blackborough contains 74 inhabitants, included in
P. ci. The Rev. J. H. Mules, mentioned in this page, is recently
P. cxcvi. It appears from some papers in the possession of George
Drake, Esq., of Ipplepen, descended from one of the daughters of
Sir Henry Ford, that he had two sons, Charles and Henry, who were
parties to a deed in the year 1685: Charles was living in 1713, and then
engaged in a Chancery-suit with some of his brothers-in-law. It is most
probable that he died without issue, and that Henry, who is not mentioned
in those proceedings, died before him. There was a fourth daughter, who
married Edward Scott, Esq.
P. clxxxvi. The heiress of Bidlake married Wollocombe.
P. clxxxix. See also p. ccxvi. The heiress of Cocke married Sparke
P. cc. Richard Hillersdon, Esq., the last of the family, died in 1652:
his co-heiresses married Crocker of Lyneham, and Champernowne. This
co-heiress should have been mentioned in p. cxci.
P. ccvi. Sir Isaac Heard died in April 1822, aged 92.
P. ccxii. I have been favoured with a pedigree of the Risdons, in
which no brother of the last Giles Risdon of Bableigh is mentioned: he
had a son Giles, who died without issue; and a daughter married, as stated
in this page, to Turner. The last Giles Risdon appears to have been
descended from William, the fourth son of Giles Risdon, who died in
1678. Giles, the elder son, had a son of the same name, who died without issue, and two daughters, married to Tucker and Jenkins, who left
issue. Jane Tucker, the grand-daughter of the former, appears to be the
representative of the family, the male issue of which seems to be extinct.
P. ccxxx. There were parks formerly at Wycroft and Trill, in Axminster, Brightley, Chittlehampton, and Hache-Arundell.
P. 1. John Hoker, who wrote the History of Exeter, drew up a brief
survey of the county, the MS. of which was in the Portledge Library. I
have not been able to learn what became of this MS., or to procure a sight
of any other copy. Sir Henry Northcote, the first baronet, wrote a survey
of Devonshire, several times quoted by Fuller, his contemporary. It is
not among the papers of his descendant, nor have I been able to ascertain
WEST ALLINGTON, p. 7. The vicarage was endowed with all small
tithes, except the tithe of congers, reserved to the Dean of Salisbury. (fn. 2)
ASHBURTON, p. 13. I was misinformed in some particulars relating to
the grammar-school; it was not endowed by Mr. Blundell: he, in conjunction
with two others in whom it was then vested, gave the chapel of St. Lawrence to the school. The lands, which are now let at 30l. per annum,
were given, as appears by the investigation of the commissioners appointed
to inquire into the state of charities by a Mr. Wearing, before the year
1626. The rent of Gould's land is now 23l. per annum. Lawrence Blundell, in 1637, gave an annuity of 4l. to the grammar-school; and 2l. 10s.
per annum is paid by the overseers, as from the gift of a Mr. Warren.
The master instructs gratuitously all such boys as have applied, and the
number has varied from ten to seventeen.
P. 13, 14. It appears by the report of the Commissioners, that Ford's
school no longer exists, but that there was due to that institution, from the
parish estates, the sum of 134l. 10s. 6d. The English school, now existing, was established as a new foundation by Lord Viscount Middleton, and
the Honourable John Harris; the former of whom gave 500l. The estate
which constitutes its endowment is at Denbury, and is let now at only
115l. per annum.
ASHPRINGTON, p. 16. There is an almshouse in this parish, said to have
been founded in 1622, by Sir Edward Giles, but it has no endowment.
ASHREIGNEY, p. 16. The appropriation of 10l. to the school was by
Mrs. Pyncombe's direction.
Awlescombe, or Awliscombe
AWLESCOMBE, or AWLISCOMBE, p. 20. The village of Wolverstone is generally called Werringstone. The extended value of the manor estate is not
estimated at more than about 150l. per annum: the reserved rent received
by the chamber of Exeter is only 7l. 8s. 8d. per annum, but there have been
some considerable fines on renewals; the sum of 330l. was received in 1784
on a tenement of which the rent is only 9s. There has been no specific
appropriation of the profits of this estate. (fn. 3)
P. 21. Mr. John Pring is dead; Ivedon is now the property of Daniel
Pring, Esq., captain in the royal navy. The great tithes of Awlescombe
are vested in William Drewe, Esq., for charitable uses, and have, since
1756, been applied to the augmentation of the living of Sheldon, and the
payment of a schoolmaster at Broad Hembury. They were purchased, in
1715, for the sum of 600l. of Sir Thomas Putt, by F. Drewe, Esq., one
of the executors of John Kelland, Esq., who bequeathed the sum of 2000l.
for charitable uses, particularly the support of schools, and the augmentation of poor livings. (fn. 4) There is no meeting-house in this parish. The
new bridge spoken of in this page is in the village of Weston.
AXMINSTER, p. 23. The manor of Shapwick, within the manor of
Axminster, and in a detached part of the parish, was purchased for Newenham abbey of Reginald de Shapwick, with the sum of 60 marks, bequeathed
by Reginald de Mohun to Alice his wife for that purpose. (fn. 5) It is now the
property of George Rhodes, Esq., of Bellair.
The Strodes of Dorsetshire were the possessors of North Wyke, or
North Week, described as a manor, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. (fn. 6)
P. 25. Penelope Saffin's gift was only 100l. The sum laid out was
160l. It does not appear by whom the remainder was given. The schoolroom was built by the parish in 1771. (fn. 7)
AXMOUTH, p. 26. Stedcombe-house was taken by Prince Maurice on
the 22d of April, 1644. (fn. 8) The manor of Down Umphraville has lately
been purchased by Thomas Northmore, Esq., of Cleve-house, near Exeter.
BAMPTON, p. 28. The October fair was granted in 1258, to the rector
of Bampton and his successors, to be held at the chapel of St. Luke without
the town of Bampton, and at the festival of that saint, for three days. (fn. 9)
BARNSTAPLE, p. 36. The Golden Lion, in Barnstaple, is said to have
been a town-house of the earls of Bath, but I can find no authority for
the tradition. The arms of the earls of Bath, and other arms, are in a
large room of this house, which has an ornamented ceiling. It was certainly the property and residence of Sir Nicholas Hooper, sergeant-at-law,
in the reign of Queen Anne, from whom it passed to the Bassets, and
was sold by the late F. Basset, Esq. — P. 37. Gay the poet certainly was
born at Barnstaple, or at least baptized there; the register of his baptism,
said to have been sought for in vain, was overlooked: it occurs September
John Cory, an actor and dramatic writer, who died in 1721, was born
The collegiate foundation was for an arch-priest and
four presbyters or fellows. (fn. 10)
The late Mr. C. A. Stothard, elder son of the royal academician of that
name, was employed in making a drawing of the interesting window in
the chancel when he met with the fatal accident which deprived the
world of those eminent professional talents which, united to the most
accurate fidelity, had imparted a grace before unknown to antiquarian
subjects of this nature. It is but justice to observe, that Mr. R. Stothard,
who completed the drawings of his lamented brother, inherits his talents
in a high degree, and appears to have very successfully studied his manner.
The remains of Mr. Charles Alfred Stothard were interred in the churchyard at Beer-Ferrers, where a monument has been erected to his memory,
with an inscription from the pen of his brother-in-law, Mr. Alfred John
Kempe, paying a due tribute to his amiable character; stating that he was
the eldest surviving son of Thomas Stothard, Esq., R. A.; that he was
unfortunately killed by a fall on the 28th of May, 1821, in the 34th year of
his age; and adding this deserved tribute to his talents: "As a laborious
investigator of the ancient sepulchral monuments (fn. 11) , and other historical
vestiges of this kingdom, which he illustrated by his faithful and elegant
pencil, he was pre-eminent."
BERRY POMEROY, p. 43. The castle is said to have been demolished
in the civil wars; which is very probable, although I have found not a trace
of any siege.
BLACKAUTON, p. 54., and Brixham, p. 71. Mr. Hayne, who died in
1821, at the age of 75, has bequeathed his estates to the infant son of his
sister, who married J. Seale, Esq., of Mount Boone. Cornelius Hayne,
who purchased Fuge, was father of the late Mr. Hayne.
William Wotton, in 1689, gave 10l. per annum, to a godly, orthodox
preaching, Protestant minister, to be approved of by his trustees, and
their heirs and assigns; and in default of such, to a schoolmaster for teaching the English tongue. This is now paid to the vicar, being 8l. 12s.,
after payment of the land-tax.
NORTH BOVEY, p. 55. There is a cattle-fair held on the Monday in the
next week after Midsummer day. — P. 56. The manor of Shapleigh
Helion, in this parish, which, as appears by the name, was formerly in
the ancient family of Helion, is now the property of Lord Courtenay.
BRADNINCH, p. 60. The rectorial estates, which belonged to the Sainthills, are vested in Admiral Thomas Pearse, in right of his wife, now
the only surviving heiress of that family. The Admiral and Mrs. Pearse
occasionally reside in the ancient parsonage-house.
BRAUNTON, p. 63. King John granted the manor of Brampton, Devon,
in 1204, to William de Marisco.
SOUTH BRENT, p. 68. The rent of Wilcocks's lands is now 9l. Mr.
Acland's will bears date 1733.
BRIDESTOWE, p. 70. Milliton was some time the property and seat of
BRIDFORD, p. 69. The manor was some time in a branch of the family
BRIXHAM, p. 72. The apportionment of Mr. Kelly's charity was made
by John Upton, his executor and trustee, in 1636; and it was directed
that the school should be open to poor children of King's Weare, and
Churston Ferrers. The residue of the rent, after paying the other charges,
was to be given to a lecturer at St. Saviour's, Dartmouth, for a sermon on
a week-day. This had not been claimed for several years, and in consequence, the master of the school was paid an additional 10l. per annum out
of this charity, upon the introduction of the Madras system, and the consequent enlargement of the school. The lectureship is now claimed by
the curate of St. Saviour. In 1821, there were about 200 children, of
both sexes, in the school.
There is an error respecting the charity of Mr. Kelland: that gentleman,
by will, (1709) gave the sum of 2000l. for endowing of charity schools,
and the augmentation of poor livings, at the discretion of his trustees; in
consequence of which, John Fownes, Esq., one of them, appropriated the
sum of 490l. to the parish of Brixham, and purchased with it the Combe
estate, now let at 42l. per annum, in aid of Kelly's charity. There is now
700l. stock belonging to the charity, arising from the sale of timber on the
P. 74. 83. 318. 336. and 546. T. T. F. E. Drake, Esq., has been
created a baronet.
EGG BUCKLAND, p. 82. The sum of 11l. was directed by Mr. Warren's
will, to be appropriated to clothing of five boys; and 8l. 10s. to the clothing of five girls.
BUCKLAND MONACHORUM, p. 83. Buckland abbey-house is at present
(March, 1821,) untenanted. The school-house was a benefaction of Lady
Modyford. Matthew Elford, Esq., in 1723, gave 100l. for clothing children, and 20l. for bread. It is now 200l. stock; and the whole is applied
for clothing children.
EAST BUDLEIGH, p. 87. The sum payable to the vicar of Budleigh, out
of Mr. Drake's charities, is 7l. per annum.
ST. BUDOCK, p. 89. Peter Madock Docton, in 1767, gave the sum of 300l.
S.S.S., and 100l. Bank stock, to make good an annuity of 10l. given by his
father as an endowment of the charity-school of St. Budock. This money
having accumulated to 700l., was laid out in lands, now let at 71l. per
annum: besides which there is a stock of 375l. John Harris, Esq., in
1725, gave 1l. per annum to the schools. Joanna Knighton's gift, in
1771, was only 1l. per annum. The whole income is now 84l. 5s. per
annum There are two schools; one for 12 boys, the other for the same
number of girls. The salary of the master is 18l., that of the mistress 9l.;
and their house-rent paid. Elizabeth May Docton having given 100l.
toward the building a new poor-house, it is intended to convert the present
house into a school. (fn. 12)
CALVERLEIGH, p. 94. In the parish-church are monuments of the
Southcotes (fn. 13) , and of Zachary Cudmore, Esq., 1657.
KING'S CARSWELL, p. 95. The manor of Odicknoll and Chamleigh,
with the estates of Egeynswell and South Wilbergh, within that manor,
was granted in 1553, to John Ridgway and John Petre.
CHUDLEIGH, p. 105. A forced lease of the manor was made by Bishop
Voysey in February, 1547, a few days after the death of Henry VIII., to
Edward Duke of Somerset.
CHULMLEIGH, p. 110. Mrs. Pyncombe's benefaction was 6l. for a boys'
school, and 4l. for a girls' school.
CLAYHANGER, p. 113. Mrs. Bluett's gift, in 1747, was only 3l. per
annum. Mr. Norman having given the sum of 50l. for the same purpose
in trust to B. N. Bluett, Esq., the latter, in 1786, made it up 100l. stock,
and added 25l. This benefaction is now 150l. stock, producing 4l. 10s. per
annum, and making the income of the school 7l. 10s. per annum.
Clist St. Mary
CLIST ST. MARY, p. 121. Since the death of Mr. Porcher, which happened in April, 1820, Winslade has been sold to — Porter, Esq.
CLOVELLY, p. 121. A most melancholy event happened on the north
coast, on the 4th of October, 1821, when, during a tremendous gale,
thirty-one fishermen and pilots lost their lives. By this calamitous accident
nineteen widows and sixty-one children, belonging to Clovelly, and other
places in Bideford bay, were left destitute; and the loss in boats and
netting was estimated at 1200l. A sum of money, amounting to nearly
3000l., was promptly raised by the benevolence of the public, a part of
which was applied to the immediate relief of the widows and orphans;
the sum of 800l. was put under the direction of a committee for providing
new and repairing old boats and nets; and 2000l. now remains in the
Devonshire savings-bank, for the purpose of granting annuities to the
widows, and educating and apprenticing the children.
COCKINGTON, p. 124. Robert Cary, the chronologist, was born at
Cockington about 1615.
The almspeople are entitled to small additional allowances, from the
dividends of 230l. stock, purchased some years ago with arrears. The
houses were rebuilt on a much improved plan, and in a more eligible
situation, in consequence of an agreement made in 1810, between Mr.
Mallock and the trustees, by which he was to receive the sum of 150l.,
the sum estimated as necessary to repair the old houses, then much dilapidated. More than double that sum was expended on the new buildings.
COFFINSWELL, p. 125. The manor of Daccombe belonged to Mr. Waldron, founder of the almshouses at Tiverton, who charged it with an
annuity of 24l. per annum. Mr. Eastley's moiety was purchased by his
grandfather in 1730, when the other moiety was sold in severalties. The
purchasers charged some houses in Tiverton with the above annuity, to
exonerate this estate; but should the houses so fall in value as to be
unequal to the discharge, it would still be liable. (fn. 14)
COLEBROOKE, p. 125, 126. At Wolmston are the remains of a chapel.
Mr. Sillifant's ancestor became possessed of Combe in 1677, by marriage
COLYTON, p. 129. Colyton was formerly a great pitched market for
corn. The market was three times a week in the reign of Henry VIII.
Calesdown chapel, in this parish, is mentioned in an ancient deed relating
to the trust-estates.
It appears from the report of the Commissioners, that the present rental
of the lands given for charitable uses is 221l. 10s. 10d. per annum. Lovehayne and Buddleshayes are let for 108l. per annum; the Colyford estate
at 40l. per annum; the Hampton estate at 25l. per annum. The estates
are vested in feoffees and twenty men, to be nominated by the majority of
the parishioners. The feoffees hold the estates to such uses as the twenty
men shall direct: there are now four feoffees and six of the last twenty
men elected living. The sum of 5l. per annum, for a school, was charged
upon the estates generally, in the year 1600.
Comb In Teignhead
COMB IN TEIGNHEAD, p. 135. Sir Henry Carew has lately purchased
the Buckland Baron estate, of Lord Kilcoursie.
P. 136. There was an ancient almshouse in this parish, founded by
one of the earls of Bath, but it had no endowment: it is supposed to have
been what is now called the Church-house, and which is inhabited by poor
families, placed in it by the overseers. Margaret Burgoyne's will bears
CORNWORTHY, p. 142. Lady Harris purchased the lands herself, in
1633. They are now let for 25l. 15s. per annum. The school is open to
all the poor children of the parish; the boys are taught reading and arithmetic; the girls knitting and sewing.
CREACOMB, p. 143. The barton was purchased by Mr. Thomas Cummins, father of the present proprietor.
CREDITON, p. 144. 1.5. For "Queen Elizabeth," read "Henry VIII." —
P. 149. John Osborne, a Puritan divine, who wrote on the resurrection,
was a native of Crediton. (fn. 15) John Rowe, a Nonconformist divine, who
published his father's life, and some sermons and religious tracts, is supposed to have been born about 1627, at this town, which was his father's
residence. (fn. 16)
DARTMOUTH, p. 158, 159. John Lovering gave 300l. for building, and
200l. for endowing, an almshouse for 21 superannuated seamen, or seamen's
widows, or other poor: 426l. were expended in the building. John Lovering, the son, by his will, 1685, requested that his trustees would lay out
the sum of 200l., or 300l., in the purchase of land for endowing this almshouse, but there is no evidence that any such purchase was made, and
when burnt down, in 1794, there were no funds for rebuilding the house.
William Ley was the founder of an almshouse mentioned in this page: he
gave 40l. for the building: it was originally for six poor persons, but has
been rebuilt on a larger scale. Half of it is occupied by poor persons placed
in it by the overseers of the parish of St. Saviour; the other half by poor
of the parishes of St. Petrock and Townstall. Mr. Kelly gave also 20s.
per annum to Mr. Street's almshouse. This is supposed to have been an
almshouse, now called the Widows' Houses, inhabited by eight or ten poor
widows, usually of seamen. It has no other endowment.
In September, 1821, the solicitor of the gentleman who possesses the
estate charged with Wotton's gift, acknowledged the right of the charity,
and assured the commissioners that the arrears should shortly be discharged.
DENBURY, p. 163. The manor was not inherited from the Reynells, but
purchased by Joseph Taylor, Esq., who married the co-heiress of Reynell,
of the Russell family. With the assistance of 25l. from the National Society,
a school-house has been lately built in this parish; and in future the profits of an estate given for charitable uses (now 23l. per annum) will be appropriated to the school.
ERMINGTON, p. 177. The sum of 10l. per annum, out of Alice Hatch's
lands, is given to a schoolmaster.
EXETER, p. 184. The circumstance of the rebels being brought into
the presence of King Henry VII. is confirmed by Hoker's Extracts from
the City Records. — P.192. The matrix of the seal granted by King
Edward I. to the city has been discovered during the late investigations at
the Guildhall: it resembles that of Winchester, engraved for Mr. Milner's
history. — P. 195. Among some ancient coins found in the parish of St.
Mary Hill, London, in 1774, were, a penny of Harold II., coined by Lifinc; and one of William the Conqueror, coined by Spottinc, at Exeter. (fn. 17)
P. 197. The statute for making a haven at Exeter passed 31 Hen. VIII.
The work was first undertaken in the mayoralty of Thomas Prestwood,
36 Henry VIII., and most of the parishes contributed liberally from their
church-stock, plate, and jewels, to the amount of nearly 230l.; but little
progress appears to have been then made. (fn. 18)
P. 220, 221. To the natives of Exeter, mentioned in these pages, may be
added Nicholas Hilliard, the painter, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth (born
in 1547); and Charles Hopkins, (son of the Bishop of Derry,) a dramatic
writer, born in 1664. Tom Durfey, the celebrated dramatic writer and
sonnetteer, is said to have been born at Exeter, in the reign of Charles I.
P. 221—230. In consequence of not having been able to procure, after
repeated enquiries, any further information than was to be obtained from
printed authorities relating to the Exeter charities, I had unavoidably
adopted some errors; and had to lament many deficiencies, not having been
able to procure either the present income of hospitals or almshouses, or even
the amount of the present allowances to the several pensioners. In some
instances, from the complicated state of the accounts of some of the principal
charities, it is evident that it would have been attended with much difficulty
to have furnished the present real annual income; but there does not appear
to have been any reason why information should have been altogether
withholden. That there have been at times abuses committed by those
who have been in trust, is apparent from the report of the Commissioners; and the utility of their labours, and the wisdom of those who appointed them, cannot be more manifest than by the result of their investigations into the state of the numerous and valuable charities at Exeter,
which appear now likely to recover effectually their individual rights, and to
be put on such a footing as will ensure, in most instances to the full extent,
the intentions of the liberal donors. The complicated and unsettled state
of the account between the Chamber of Exeter and some of the principal
charities under the trust will render Chancery-suits necessary. Large
debts appear due from the Chamber to some of them; but they have put in
counter claims, to a considerable amount. The investigation of these matters must have been an Herculean labour. In consequence of a long system
of concealment on the part of the Chamber, the printed authorities have been
induced to charge them with abuses of which they do not seem to have been
guilty, however some of the charities may have suffered occasionally from
negligence, or from the culpability of individuals in office. In the last edition
of Izacke's Rights and Privileges of the City of Exeter, the observation
on Robert Lant's charity is, "what was settled on Bonville's almshouse,
sunk by the Chamber, the almshouse having been demolished many years
purely by their neglect." How different this is from the fact, will be seen
in the following statement, drawn up from the report printed in February,
1822, a copy of which I have just received through the favour of the Commissioners. In the following pages it is intended to correct the errors
which the report has enabled me to detect in my account of the several
charities, and to supply such deficient information as appears the most
Magdalen Almshouse, p. 222. The sum of 2100l. three per cent. was
given in 1810 by Mr. Thomas Cooke, to augment the income of the pensioners of the Magdalen almshouse; in consequence of which each pensioner receives in addition 2s. a week, and a donation of 10s. at the end of
Grendon's Almshouses, or the Ten Cells, p. 224. The reserved rent of
Alice Heath's lands is only 14l. 17s. per annum: the yearly value of the
lands is estimated at 185l. 15s. The fines received since 1803 appear to
have been 863l. The Commissioners report that no interest had been
paid on the 400l. mentioned in notef of page 224. since 1775, and that the
arrears from that time are due. The pensioners receive only the sum of
1l. 8s. 4d., divided among them every fortnight, as it has been ever since
1704; besides 1s. a week each from Lant's charity: which, from the authority before recited, I had supposed to have been misapplied or lost, and
of which a further account will be given below. Since 1810 the pensioners
of this house have been entitled also to the interest of 1750l. three per
cent., given to augment their income by Mr. Thomas Cooke.
Sir William Bonville's Almshouses, p. 224. It appears from the Commissioners' report, that the rents with which these almshouses had been endowed, 21l. 11s. 4d., were received by the crown, and paid to the corporation, till about the year 1700. The payments to the almshouse were
18l. 4s. per annum; the remainder proved insufficient for the repairs of the
old house, and ere long it fell down. The houses, &c., on which the rents
were charged, then refused to pay them; and it does not appear that they
were ever recovered. After this almshouse fell down, a moiety of the rents
of Richard Lant's estate, given in 1675 to augment the revenues of Grendon and Bonville's charities, was suffered to accumulate in the hands of
the Chamber till it had amounted to a considerable sum; with a part of
this it was resolved, in 1763, to build a new almshouse for twelve poor
people, to be called Lant's Almshouse, near the north gate. The building
cost above 740l., and there is now 1260l. in the hands of the Chamber.
Of the existence of this house I had not obtained any notice till I saw
the Commissioners' report; nor is it mentioned in any of the printed accounts. The pensioners have received 3s. 6d. a week each since 1817, and
a donation of coals. Besides the sum of 1260l. above mentioned, there
was belonging to this charity, in 1821, 200l. five per cent., the whole income of Lant's endowment being 160l. 8s. The pensioners placed in the
almshouses are generally old and decayed tradesmen, married or single.
Palmer's Almshouses, p. 225. The endowment of these almshouses for
poor widows is slender; the reserved rents of the lands amount only to
2l. 13s. 4d., the estimated yearly value being 112l. per annum. The fines
received from the beginning of the year 1800 have amounted to 250l. 10s.
The widows now receive 2s. a week each. The chamber have appropriated to this charity part of the bellman's rent; and, since 1810, they have
been entitled to the interest of 700l., given to augment their income by
Mr. Thomas Cooke. The Commissioners recommend that the fines should
in future be funded; or that some of the property should be let at rackrent on the failure of lives.
Hurst's Almshouse. Hurst's deed bears date October 13. 1567; the
house had then been built. The old almshouse was taken down for the
purpose of building the subscription-rooms, mentioned in p. 234. to have
been erected in 1820. The new almshouse was built under the inspection
of the Chamber, at the expense of the undertakers. The present income of
the almshouse is 37l. 15s. 4d., exclusively of their share of the reserved
rent of 60l. per annum paid by the proprietor of the rooms, the Chamber
claiming a portion of that rent, as not yet defined. The Commissioners
state the extended value of the rooms at 270l. per annum; and the collective annual value of the remainder of the endowment at 273l. 19s. 6d.
The pensioners have received 2s. 6d. a week each since May, 1821.
Davy's Almshouses. The sum of 16l. per annum was appropriated out
of the parsonage of Mary Ansleigh. Some houses in Exeter also belong
to it; and, in 1821, there was 232l. 1s. 6d. Navy five per cent.: which, it is
probable, had accrued from renewals, the total income being 33l. 6s. 6d.
The sum of 7s. 8d. is distributed weekly among the pensioners.
Atwill's Almshouse, p. 226. This almshouse was built somewhat later
than here stated, pursuant to a decree of the Court of Chancery in 1771.
In 1815, three additional houses were voted to be built by the Chamber,
which cost 425l. 7s., paid out of the funds: the expense of the original
building does not appear. It is proposed to purchase a garden opposite, of
the Chamber, for the purpose of still further increasing the establishment.
The original intention of the charity was that of setting the poor on work;
and when the houses were first built, looms were provided for the inhabitants: but that has been discontinued since 1771; and the pensioners appointed are decayed, and, for the most part, old woollen manufacturers.
They now receive 4s. a week each, and occasional donations of coals. The
chief endowment of this charity is an estate at Uffculme, now let at 210l.
per annum; on which, since 1796, timber has been cut down to the amount
of 1500l. There are other estates, producing about 27l. per annum, and
a stock of 242l. three per cents. In 1821, there was a debt due to this
charity from the chamber of above 2600l.; but the chamber had a set-off
claim on the charity of about 1400l.
St. John's Hospital Schools, p. 227, 228. It appears that no other benefaction was appropriated to the grammar-school besides those mentioned
in p. 227.: Sir John Maynard's was for the boys of the Bluecoat Hospital.
The grammar-school was founded by the chamber, a few years before the
charter granted to the hospital by Charles I., June 2. 1637. Statutes
were made for it in 1633, and it was made free to the sons of freemen of
Exeter. The master's salary, which was originally 30l. per annum, was
raised to 40l., in 1664. There are now two ushers; one of whom must be
in holy orders, and the other a graduate in one of the universities. The
sum paid for the instruction of day-boys, sons of non-freemen, is limited to
six guineas per annum. The master's house was rebuilt in 1776, at the expense of 1700l. Mr. Simon Snow, in 1666, pursuant to the intention of
Dr. Vilvaine, who died in 1662, and to whom he was executor, founded four
exhibitions for poor scholars of 8l. each, at Exeter college; two from the
high school and two from the grammar-school, (now united). Dr. Vilvaine's exhibitions were regularly paid and brought to account for several
years after the date of the foundation; but there had not been any exhibitioners on this foundation for many years, till 1819, when three were
elected. Dr. Stephens's exhibitions are declared by him to be intended for
the sons of the laborious part of the parochial clergy, and of country gentlemen of small fortune; no preference to be given to his own relations, but to
be chosen for merit only. The exhibitions may be held for seven years; but
an exhibitioner being in holy orders, and taking a curacy, must resign his
exhibition after one year; and during that year the amount of the exhibition is to be paid, not in money, but in books of divinity. The exhibitioners are obliged to nine months' residence each of the first four years,
and to take a batchelor's degree by the end of the fifth year. They must be
natives of Devonshire or Cornwall, or of the city of Exeter, educated at
the free grammar-school, and may be of either of the English universities.
In 1801, the first exhibitioner was appointed on this foundation; in 1805,
there were two at 28l. per annum. Since that time the fund has been
considerably augmented for want of candidates, some having refused the
exhibitions on account of the length of residence required. The total stock
is now 7200l.; the dividends, 216l. per annum. In 1821, there were six
exhibitioners of the city of Exeter, and two of the county of Devon.
Sir John Maynard and Elize Stert, as executors of Elize Hele, conveyed
to the chamber, as trustees of St. John's Hospital, the manors of Clist St.
Lawrence, Clist Gerald, Teign Hervey, and other lands, for the maintenance
of so many boys in St. John's Hospital as the rents would support (fn. 20) at the
rate of 10l. per annum for each boy: the children to be taught to read, write,
and cast accounts; and if any of them should be of more promising parts,
a hope was expressed, that means might be found to give them a classical
education. Two-thirds of the children to be of Exeter or Plymouth; the
remainder of Broad Clist or Bovey, if not nominated by the heirs of the
founders. The income of the estates thus conveyed is now 360l. 12s. per
annum; of other property belonging to the hospital 299l. 9s., besides some
doubtful claims, fines, and other uncertain sources. The fines on Hele's estates, which are considerable, are directed to be disposed of in charitable uses,
those appropriated to particular purposes excepted, at the discretion of the
heirs of the founders. These are now distributed by the Marchioness of Londonderry, the Earl of Ancram, Viscount Valletort, and Lady Suffield, as heirs
general of Sir John Maynard, Mr. Stert having died without issue. The
fines received during the years 1818, 1819, and 1820, amounted to 2700l.
The timber cut down on the manors of Clist St. Lawrence and Clist Gerald,
in 1808, amounted to 2724l. 17s. 6d. There is nothing now received from
the considerable pecuniary donations to this hospital mentioned in noteo
of p. 229. It appears, that during the time of the commonwealth several
purchases were made of church lands, which were given up on the restoration, and the purchase-money is supposed to have been lost. The chamber, in 1694, had 1300l. belonging to the hospital on bond, of which no
subsequent trace is found.
Nicholas Martyn's donation was laid out in houses, the reserved rent of
which is 14l. per annum; they are valued at 80l. per annum. A fine of
210l. was paid on account of this property in 1814. Dorothy Moggridge,
by will 16 Car. I., gave a tenement in Colyton, now 20l. per annum, for
the maintenance of three children. Henry Gandy's gift was on condition
of two boys of St. Paul's parish being maintained in the hospital; the rent
is now only 5l. 5s. per annum. The claim had not been enforced by the
parish before 1810.
Richard Crossing's donation, in 1661, (not 1649, as erroneously printed
in notem p. 228.) was not for general purposes, but for the support of five
boys in the hospital. Only 5l. per annum is now received from Mr. Olivean's donation, mentioned in the note of p. 230. With Dr. Bidgood's
donation was purchased by the chamber the estate of Duryards; and it is
matter of dispute whether the hospital or the chamber is entitled to the
income of that estate, over and above the value of 30l. per annum. It was
purchased of the chamber in 1691, and about 1727 came into the possession
of the hospital, in consequence of the rents being insufficient to pay the
annuity of 30l. charged upon it. The estate is now about 80l. per annum.
Certain rents, amounting to 23l. 19s. 4d. per annum, were purchased
with Sir Edward Seaward's donation, (see note. p. 230). In 1773, Robert
Lydston Newcombe, Esq., gave three new houses, now let at 120l. per annum, for the support of three boys in the hospital. The master of the Blue
School has 26l. per annum, and 16l. per annum for the maintenance and
clothing of each boy; caps, and gowns, and bedding, being provided out
of the funds of the hospital. The number of boys has varied from 16 to
26, generally from 20 to 23. In 1821, there were 21, of whom 11 were
upon Hele's foundation; two on Keate's gift; two on Gandy's, (mentioned in the note, p. 229. and 230.); and one on Newcombe's.
The account of the Blue Maids' Hospital, given in p. 230 from Izacke, is
very imperfect. Sir John Maynard and Elize Stert, by their deed of 1658,
directed the sum of 1500l. accruing from the fines of his estates in Broad
Clist, &c., to be laid out in the purchase of lands for the maidens' hospital.
It had been previously endowed by the same parties with Bovey mills;
not a rent charged out of them of 50l., as stated on the authority of Izacke.
These mills were let for 50l. per annum, in 1658, on a lease of 1000
years; which lease was surrendered to the chamber in 1736, in satisfaction
of arrears of rent. They were afterwards let at 68l. per annum, subject to
repairs. In 1773, they were rebuilt: in 1801, they were let at 10l. per
annum only, in consideration of a fine of 292l. They were originally
given for the support of as many children as could be maintained at the
rate of 10l. each. It does not appear what became of the 1500l. Simon
Snow, before mentioned, in pursuance of the intention of Dr. Vilvaine,
to whom he was executor, bequeathed the residue of the public brewhouse,
then a valuable property, to this hospital; which bequest was confirmed by
his brother Robert. Such was his opinion of the value of this bequest,
that he makes provision for the disposal of the residue, after the maintenance of 40 girls; and, in such event, gives 5l. per annum to a school in
St. Sidwell. The estate was let, in 1672, for 14 years, at 110l. per annum:
it is now let on lives. The present lease was for a rent of 15l. 15s. only,
in consideration of a fine of 262l. 10s. It is long since the buildings were
used as a brewery: they were very convenient for the woollen manufacture, and have decreased in value in consequence of its declension.
Mr. John Lethbridge, in 1701, gave 50l. to the maids' hospital. Mr.
Benjamin Gilbert, in 1792, 50l. Mrs. Leach, in 1803, 20l. 18s. 9d. Mr.
Foster, 100l. A part of the premises belonging to the hospital is let at
15l. per annum. It appears by the report of the commissioners, that there
is due from the chamber to this hospital the sum of 1636l. 19s. 6d., which
they recommend to be immediately vested in government securities; and
the interest, after paying 32l. per annum to Dr. Vilvaine's exhibitioners,
to be applied to the use of the hospital.
In 1672 there were twelve children maintained in the Blue Maids'
Hospital. The number has never exceeded thirteen. From 1782 to 1810
it never exceeded six, and sometimes was as low as four. From 1810 to
1814 there were only three. They were then reduced to two, and so continued till 1818, when it was augmented to seven, which was the number
in 1821. Of late two girls have been appointed from the parish of
St. Mary the More, in consideration of Mr. Keate's gift; but none by Sir
John Maynard's heirs, who have a right of nominating one out of three.
The mistress has a salary of 10l. per annum, and receives 8l. for the
maintenance of each child. In aid of this small allowance, she is permitted to let lodgings and part of the garden.
P. 231. The number of children in the central school, Sept. 29. 1821,
was, boys 373, girls 235. In the episcopal Sunday schools, not mentioned
in this page, were, at Michaelmas, 1821, 187 boys, and 395 girls.
P. 233. The number of patients admitted into the Devon and Exeter
hospital, from Lady-day 1820 to Lady-day 1821, was 895; of outpatients, 306. The subscriptions have increased to nearly 2100l. The principal benefactions since Lady-day 1820, have been a legacy of 300l., from
Lady Rolle; 100l. from Mrs. Holmes; 50l. from Robert Tothill, Esq.; and
50l. from Edward Iliff, Esq.
P. 233. From October 1. 1820, to October 1. 1821, 398 patients were
admitted into the infirmary for the cure of diseases of the eye. During
this period 345 were discharged as cured; in which number are included
15 patients blind from cataract, and two from closed pupil.
P. 234. The deposits of the two last years, ending February 11. 1822,
amounted to above 150,000l., those of the last year having been nearly
Among other benevolent establishments, is a society for lending blankets
to the poor from the beginning of November to the beginning of June.
GITTISHAM, p. 249. The charity-school is supposed to have been
founded by Sir Thomas Putt; but it must have been by a deed in his lifetime, which is not known to exist: the school is not mentioned in his will. (fn. 21)
HALBERTON, p. 251. Richard Were Clarke, Esq., died in 1821,
and has been succeeded in his estates by his son, J. Were Clarke, Esq. —
P. 253. Mr. Peter Newte, in 1719, in case a charity-school should not
be founded within four years from the time of his death, which was not
done, gave 4l. per annum towards the endowment of a school at Halberton;
to which benefaction this parish is entitled. (fn. 22)
HARBERTON, p. 255. The almshouse here mentioned was erected by
Henry Wyse, grandfather of Nicholas Wyse, whose executor, in 1733,
settled some lands in Bridgwater for the purpose of keeping them in
repair; a rent-charge of 50s. was settled on these almshouses (which were
for ten persons) pursuant to a decree in chancery, made 2 William III.
BROAD HEMPSTON, p. 269. Several small donations, amounting altogether to 3l. 12s. per annum, given to the poor for general purposes, are
now appropriated to a charity-school.
HIGH-WEEK, p. 272. The hospital founded by John Gilbert in the
parish of Kings Teignton, is now esteemed to be in the parish of HighWeek, formerly parcel of Kings Teignton. John Gilbert, in his deed
of 1538, states, that he had purchased three messuages and two little
closes adjoining, by the highway-side near Newton Bushell, and that it
was his intention to build a lazar-house, for the reception of a greater
number of lazars than the three cottages would contain, with a chapel;
the house and the closes to be occupied by the said lazars: he gives the
sum of 220 marks to the corporation, on condition that they should pay
yearly the sum of 4l. per annum to the lazars in the said house. There were
three lazars in 1704. The chapel has been converted into a dwelling-house,
and another has been added by one of the Yarde family. The whole are
now occupied by poor persons, nominated by the feoffees of the charitylands at High Week. The inhabitants of the four original houses are paid
12s. a year each out of the rent of one of the closes (fn. 23) , the other having
been converted into gardens for their use: and they receive 1l. per annum
each from the chamber of Exeter.
HOLSWORTHY, p.279. The sale of Thorne, mentioned in this page, was
the remainder of a term created by William Holland, the fee being vested in
Susanna, wife of John Ebbott the elder, and her three sisters. The re-sale
was to John Ebbott, the son. Mr. Pearce, who married one of the representatives, has been dead some years, and the property has descended to
his daughter, married to Mr. Samuel Cory.
KENNE, p. 300. The Rev. J. Swete died in 1821, and has been succeeded by his son. See p. clvi.
KILMINGTON, p. 302. Coryton was purchased in 1697, of the family of
Warren, by William Tucker, Esq. The former mansion, which stood at
a small distance, was taken down in 1754. The manor of Kilmington is
now the property of William Tucker, Esq., of Coryton, having been
purchased by him of the Southcote family in 1802. The manor and
estate of Hill passed with the heiress of Haydon to the Fryes of Deer
Park, of whom they were purchased by Mr. Tucker's father in 1747.
KINGSBRIDGE, p. 304. The almshouse at this place, which has no endowment, is supposed to have been the benefaction of Robert Midwinter.
There were 13 boys in the grammar-school in 1820. The income of Duncombe's charity is only 369l. 2s. 2d., including the dividends on 2330l. 10s. 8d.
O. S. S. A. No payment had been made to an exhibitioner before 1816,
when an order of Chancery issued, that the annual sum of 50l. should
be given to three or more exhibitioners, according as the funds would
admit. By the same order the lectureship was augmented to 75l. per
annum; 3l. per annum from Mr. Duncombe's charity is to be given by
the lecturer in books.
LAMERTON, p. 307. Richard and Nicholas Tremayne were proclaimed
traitors in 1556. A copy of the proclamation is among the Bertie papers,
in the possession of Bertie Greatheed, Esq., at Guy's Cliffe.
Littleham and Exmouth
LITTLEHAM and EXMOUTH, p. 321. Sir John Elwill's donation to Littleham and Teignmouth was invested, in 1810, in the purchase of
436l. 17s. 7d. 3 per cent. consols; one-third of the dividends, 4l. 7s. 4d.,
is paid to Littleham, and the remainder, 8l. 14s. 8d. to Teignmouth. Mrs.
Hooper, daughter of John Stafford, Peardon's executor, paid 3l. 4s. per
annum for the education of children of Exmouth and East Budleigh, which
is continued by her sister. (fn. 24)
LUSTLEIGH, p. 325. The Rev. S. Pidsley died in 1821. See also p. 326.
and p. 433.
MERTON, p. 338. Much of the carved oak wainscot and ornaments have
been removed from Potheridge-house to Bicton and St. Giles, and put up
in the churches of those parishes. A fine oak stair-case remains at Potheridge, with a painted ceiling; and there is a portrait of General Monk.
MODBURY, p. 346. There is now 278l. 9s. 5d. in Mr. Savery's hands
belonging to the school.
MORCHAND CRUYS, p. 355. Robert Gay's benefaction was 40s. per
annum, subject to land-tax.
ST. NICHOLAS, p. 364. The great tithes belong to Lord Clifford.
NIMET TRACEY, alias Bow, p. 364. The principal estates in this parish
are Natson and Hampson, belonging to Sir T. B. Lethbridge, Bart; Appledore, belonging to Calmady Pollexfen Hamlyn, Esq.; and Hals, belonging
to Mr. Richard Hole.
NORTHAM, p. 365, Sir R. G. Keats, who is now governor of Greenwich Hospital, has sold Durrant to J. S. Ley, Esq.
EAST OGWELL, p. 374. A great part of the village of East Ogwell was
burnt down in 1595: the collections procured by two briefs came to sufficient for rebuilding the houses which had been destroyed. (fn. 25) Simon Ford
a Latin poet, was born at East Ogwell in 1619.
P. 375. It was Richard Reynell, Esq., who gave the fields mentioned
in this page, in 1733, for repairing his burial-place and an almshouse at
Grendon in this parish. The almshouse contains two tenements, in which
poor persons live rent free. It has no endowment. There are two schools
in the parish, supported by the rent of the above-mentioned fields, assisted
by donations from P. J. Taylor, Esq.
OTTERTON, p. 375. Richard Martin, Recorder of London, a great
linguist and a poet, was born at Otterton about 1570. (fn. 26) His poems and
speeches in parliament are in print.
UP-OTTERY, p. 381. Robert Newbury, in 1748, gave 2l. 10s. per annum
to the Anabaptist minister; this annuity is now paid by the owner of the
land on which it is charged, to the minister of the New House meeting.
PAIGNTON, p. 383. Mr. John Kelland gave 100l., to be laid out in land
as stated in this page, and Mr. Charles Kelland, in 1695, the sum of 50l.,
to be laid out also in land for the apprenticing of children; the sum of
140l., part of these sums, was laid out in the purchase of a piece of land
called Holloway's Hill, in Awlescombe, which is leased with other parish
lands, and the parish appropriate 4l. per annum to the school, and 2l. per
annum towards apprenticing children.
PARKHAM, p. 384. Halsbury was not purchased by the Davies immediately
from the Giffards, who sold it to Thomas Benson, Esq., some time M. P.
for Barnstaple. This gentleman having been expelled the House of Commons, and obliged to fly his country, his estates were sold under an extent
of the crown, and Halsbury was then purchased by the Davies.
PINHOE, p. 390. John Conybeare, Bishop of Bristol, who wrote in
defence of Revelation, was born at Pinhoe in 1697.
PLYMOUTH, p. 391. When James Bourbon, Earl of March, was sent
by the French king to the aid of Owen Glendower in Wales, in the year
1400, his fleet was driven by unfavourable winds to Plymouth. Here,
leaving his great ships at anchor, he burnt and destroyed several villages;
but a tempest arising, twelve of his best ships were sunk in the mouth of the
harbour: and the people of the country rising, he escaped with difficulty
to the remainder of his fleet. (fn. 27)
P. 400. The Breakwater has answered the most sanguine expectations
of its ingenious projector, having afforded complete protection to all the
shipping at Plymouth during the dreadful gales of last winter.
P. 404, 405. In the year 1572 the vicarage of Plymouth, being then
in arrears for a rent-charge of 8l., which had been payable to the crown since
the dissolution of monasteries, the Queen granted the arrears and the said
rent-charge to the corporation, on condition that they should find a fit person
to fill the cure, and pay 20l. per annum to the master of a grammar-shool.
This was confirmed by a charter of Charles II., and by act of parliament. The corporation rent a school-room. There had been no free
scholar in the school for many years in 1810, when the master's salary
was raised to 50l. per annum, on condition that he should constantly teach
two sons of poor freemen. Kellway's gift has no connection with the
grammar-school. In my account of this charity I had followed the statement in a modern publication, the accuracy of which I was assured I
might rely on. It appears, however, from the report of the commissioners,
to be most wide from the fact. It has no other connection with the
school than that the head master was made one of the executors in trust,
and it is probable that some of the objects of Mr. Kellway's bounty may
have been, though not necessarily so, placed at the school: the bank
stock was originally 1900l., the dividends of 300l. of which were to be
distributed among the testator's relations, at the discretion of his trustees;
the remainder to be expended in the education, maintenance, and clothing,
of two or more children of his relations, the nearest of kin or most
deserving; such maintenance to be continued for boys till 24 years of
age, and girls till the same age, or till they should be married. In default
of relations, the children of deserving persons of the towns of Plymouth
or Saltash to have the benefit of his bequest. The bank stock has accumulated to the sum mentioned in p. 405.; and the dividends applicable to
the purpose just mentioned are 443l. 4s. Children of relations have been
maintained from the early age of a year after their birth. In 1817 and
1818 advertisements were inserted in the newspapers, inviting claims from
It appears to be only 4l. per annum out of Sir John Gayer's lands, which
are now let for 65l. per annum, that was appropriated to the orphan's aid.
Mrs. Joan Bennet, in 1650, gave certain premises, now producing a
rent of 55l. per annum, partly for the purpose of maintaining two scholars
at Oxford or Cambridge, being collateral descendants of her husband
and herself: there has been no claim for these scholarships since 1799;
and there is a considerable balance in the hands of the corporation.
Mr. Elize Hele's settlement of his estates for charitable uses took place
in 1632. In 1649 John Maynard and Elize Stert, the surviving executors,
having before given the sum of 750l. to be laid out in land, appropriated
the manor of Brixton and other estates to the hospital of the poor's portion
at Plymouth. In 1656 an estate was purchased by the trustees for the same
purposes, for 542l. 18s. In 1658 the said trustees settled the manors of
Brixton Reigny, Halwill, and divers houses and lands in the parishes of
Shipstor, Yealmton, Plympton, Modbury, Ugborough, &c. &c. &c. on
the said hospital. By the schedule of that date it was declared that the
profits should be applied to the education, clothing, and maintenance, of
as many poor boys as the funds should be sufficient to maintain, at the rate
of 10l. each per annum. Two out of three of the children were to be of
Plymouth or Exeter; the remainder, if not nominated by the heirs of the
founders, to be of the parishes of Brixton, Beer Ferrers, Plympton, or
Yealmton. It was directed by the founders, in 1658, that 1800l. of such
monies as should accrue from fines, should be laid out in the foundation of
a school at Plymton, and 400l. in the purchase of lands of 20l. per annum
for the minister of Brixton. After providing these sums, the fines to be disposed of in charitable uses, as they still are by the founders' representatives.
Under the provisions of the Workhouse Act of 1708, a moiety of the
money then in the chest, and of fines for the time to come, was vested in
the governors of the hospital of the poor's portion. The present total amount
of the income of Hele's charity is 367l. 2s. 3d. (fn. 28) In 1820 there were
eleven boys on this foundation, nine of whom were natives of Plymouth.
The master has 50l. (fn. 29) per annum, besides 5s. a week for each boy's diet, &c.:
the boys are dressed in blue. By some regulations made in 1821 between
the guardians of the poor and the trustees of Hele's charity, the trustees
are to allow 20l. for each boy; the guardians to have the sole management,
and to nominate the master, subject to the approbation of the trustees.
The boys to be appointed by the trustees, two out of three being natives
of Plymouth, the remainder to be nominated by the heirs of Sir John
Maynard, or in default, by the trustees from the parishes before mentioned.
P. 406. The money left by Lady Rogers was laid out in 1766 in the
purchase of 18,735l. 10s. 3d. 3 per cent. consols. This having accumulated, in consequence of the surplus dividends having been funded, the
stock was, in 1820, 27,872l. 15s. 4d. 3 per cent., producing a dividend of
836l. 3s. 1d. per annum. The object of the donor's will was the education
and maintenance of poor children or other charitable uses, and not
restricted to Plymouth. There are now 44 female children of Devon and
Cornwall maintained, clothed, and educated till 15, in a house near Plymouth: eleven being appointed by each of the four trustees. The mistress
has 100l. per annum, a fourth of the profit of the needle-work, and 3s.
a week for the maintenance of each child. I was misinformed as to the
number of the children, which was raised from 40 to 44 in 1813.
The fund of the grey school consists of 3114l. 9s. 7d. O. S. S. A., and
1340l. 3 per cent. consols, the dividends being 133l. 12s. 6d. Tenements
were purchased for the residence of the master and mistress in 1814, and
a school-room has been since built. The master's salary is 50l., that of
the mistress 25l.: 100 boys and 60 girls are instructed in this school: for
the two last years 20 of each sex have been clothed.
In 1674 John Lanyon founded almshouses for poor people in the parish
of Charles, giving 300l. for the building. There were other benefactions
towards the building, but they have no endowment. These houses were
vested in the corporation under the Workhouse Act of 1708. The income
of Jory's almshouse has been as high as 403l. 4s.; it is now 257l. 10s. The
widows receive 1l. 10s. per month each.
P. 406. A Sunday-school, and school of industry for girls, called the
Household of Faith, was established in 1787 by the Rev. Dr. Hawker,
the present vicar of the parish of Charles. It has a funded property of
527l. 7s. 3d. 3 per cents. The school-house was built by subscription in
1798. A legacy of 500l. has been lately left (1819) to this charity. Forty
of the girls are clothed. The school is supported by subscription in aid of
Samuel Addis, Esq., who died in 1737, bequeathed the sum of 400l., producing a dividend of 21l. 3s. 10d. per annum for the endowment of an
PLYMPTON, p. 410, 411. See p. 605 as to the appropriation of 1800l.
for this school. It was not particularly directed to be a grammar-school,
but the masters have always been clergymen of the church of England.
There is no free scholar on the foundation.
Plympton St. Mary
PLYMPTON ST. MARY, p. 416. The lazar-house appears to have been
founded by one of the Courtenay family. There were four female lazars
in it in 1641. In 1717 Catherine Cole, the only surviving lazar, conveyed
the Maudlin-house and lands to the parish: the parish workhouse has been
built on the site. The lands are let at 36l. per annum, which has been
applied in aid of the poor's rates, but it has been lately determined to
erect a building adjoining the poorhouse for the reception of lunatics or
idiots; and in default of such objects, when there shall be an accumulation
of rent to the amount of twice the annual rent of the charity-lands, the
same to be distributed among decayed persons.
PLYMSTOCK, p. 417. Sir Christopher Harris, before 1617, founded an
almshouse at Goosewell, in this parish, and endowed it with a rent-charge
of 10l. for five poor people. It is now occupied by four poor people, who
receive 40s. per annum each; 40s. being put by annually as a fund for
P. 417. The income of Mr. Warren's charitable fund was thus appropriated: 23l. to clothe ten boys, 18l. to clothe 10 girls, 12l. for the
mistress and for a school-room, and 2l. for books. Mr. Harris gives the
use of a room, the mistress therefore enjoys the whole of the 12l. per
RACKENFORD, p. 425. 10s. 6d. per annum is paid for the teaching of
one child, arising from the benefaction of 13l. by Thomas Kempe, a blacksmith, now living. The sum of 2l. per annum, given by Mary Ayre for
teaching children, has been lost.
SEATON, p. 436. Lady Rolle's foundation was for almshouses and two
schools. The almshouses are for 25 poor fishermen, being infirm and above
the age of 55, and 20 poor and infirm widows of the same age, to be chosen
by the owner of the manor of Beer, and each of them to receive 1s. per
week, the dividends of 3900l. being appropriated for that purpose; and
those of 3100l. for paying 30l. per annum to the master of the boys' school,
and 15l. to the mistress of the girls' school; to provide also books, and
stationary, and clothing, not more than 2l. being allowed in a year to a boy,
and not more than 1l. 10s. for a girl: all the children to be of the manor
of Beer, and from four to ten years of age: to be taught after Dr. Bell's
system; the boys, reading, writing, and arithmetic; and the girls, in
addition, needle-work and knitting. The almshouses are built and occupied; the schoolhouses are not as yet begun.
SHELDON, p. 439. The vicar of Sheldon has the whole of the great
tithes of Awlescombe, (now 150l. per annum,) except 10l. per annum payable to the schoolmaster of Broad Hembury. See p. 584.
SLAPTON, p. 452. John Kelland, Esq., gave 100l., in 1690-1; his son,
Charles Kelland, Esq., 50l., in 1694: the former for teaching 20 children,
the other for apprenticing one child. These sums were laid out together
in the purchase of land, now let at 25l. per annum. Twenty children are
taught, but none apprenticed; and it appears that some of the income has
been applied to purposes not directed by the donors.
P. 452. The small parish of Sourton, in the hundred of Lifton and
deanery of Tavistock, has here been accidentally omitted. There are no
villages in the parish or endowed school. A moiety of the manor belongs
to Calmady Pollexfen Hamlyn, Esq.; a fourth to John Morth Woollcombe,
Esq.; and a fourth to John Newton, Esq., as mortgagee of Woodrow.
STAVERTON, p. 455. Pridhamsleigh is called a manor in the will of
Mr. Gould, bearing date 1735. Dr. Baker's benefaction was 10l. per
annum, but out of this 2l. per annum was appropriated to the buying of
a coat and gown for a poor man and woman, 8l. per annum only for
teaching poor children.
STOKE-IN-TEIGNHEAD, p. 462. Mr. Andrews's benefaction was void
under the statute of mortmain, but the Rev. Mr. Neck, who inherited the
estate, is preparing a deed for the purpose of charging certain lands with
an annuity of 8l., of which 1l. 10s. is to be appropriated to the other
purposes directed by Mr. Andrews, and the remainder to the instruction
of poor children.
TAMERTON FOLIOT, p. 472. Sir Copleston Bampfylde, in 1669, gave a
house, garden, and meadow, to four poor widows of this parish, for their
residence, and towards their support. The widows are appointed by the
Rev. Walter Radcliffe, as owner of Warleigh; the present rent of the
meadow is 8l., which is divided among the widows.
Mary Dean endowed the school, in 1734, with an estate called Radge,
in the parish of Tavistock, now let at 105l. per annum, for teaching 20
boys. She directed 20l. per annum to be given to the schoolmaster; and
allowed 20s. for coals, 20s. for stationary, and the residue for clothes, books,
&c. She also afterwards gave by will 480l. to be laid out in lands for this
school, which has not yet been done, but is about to be invested. The
schoolmaster has now 37l. per annum; and 17 girls were, in 1805, added
to the establishment, but they are not clothed. Elizabeth Lady Modyford, by her will, in 1722, directed that all debts due to her should be laid
out in lands for Tamerton school; but there is no trace of any purchase
in consequence of this bequest.
TAVISTOCK, p. 471. and 476. Having been favoured by Mr. John Crapp,
with a sight of some old papers in his possession, I have gathered from
them the following facts:
It appears, that although the town has never been incorporated, the
governing officer was called a mayor. Among these papers is the
account of Mr. Matthew Cudlipp, who commenced his mayoralty June
24. 1685, in which reference is made to his predecessor in the mayoralty,
Mr. Caunter. Among other articles, are the receipts and payments relating to St. Swithin's fair.
It appears that King Edward VI. granted to John, Earl of Bedford,
fairs at Tavistock, April 23. and November 28.; that the earl was then
entitled to another fair, and that he conveyed the three fairs to trustees for
200 years, with liberty to build a market-house on his land, and that the
profits of the fairs were appropriated to the schoolmaster for the time
It appears also, that John Batt, prior of the hospital, or lazar-house, of
St. Mary Magdalen, and St. Theobald at Tavistock, and the brethren and
sisters of that house, in the year 1584, conveyed the hospital, with the chapel
and the lands thereto belonging, to John Fitz, Nicholas Glanville, and
others, for the term of 1000 years, the rents to be divided quarterly among
the lazar people of that house; or in default thereof, among other poor
people of Tavistock. This must have been the reason why the sum of 30l.
out of the annuity paid by the Duke of Bedford, under the act of 1761, is
directed to be divided into portions, and distributed quarterly, among 60
poor persons of Tavistock.
It appears by the papers above mentioned, that in 1570 Robert Charles,
of Tavistock, gave to John Fitz and others a rent-charge of 4l., issuing out
of his lands at Pillaton, in Cornwall, for the poor people in the almshouse.
This must have been what is called Couche's almshouse; and it seems
that this rent-charge is still payable, not being affected by the act, which
relates only to lands, &c., in the parish of Tavistock. An almshouse in
lieu of Couche's, was to be built out of the annuity of 120l. above
mentioned, it being in the mean time charged only with the 4l. 4s. per
annum, payable to the schoolmaster. The almshouses were built at the
expense of 330l. After the building was completed, the sum of 50l. per
annum was to be payable out of the annuity for the maintenance of 15
pensioners, and for the repairs of the house : the pensioners have now 3l.
per annum each, paid quarterly. They are nominated by the Duke of
Bedford, as lord of the manor of Hurdwick. The sum of 15l. per annum
of the said annuity is appropriated to apprenticing children; 16s. per
annum to the purchase of Bibles; and 20l. per annum for four marriageportions. The hospital of lazars was pulled down, and the workhouse,
which by the above-mentioned act is vested in the parish, built on the site.
Among the papers before mentioned is a memorandum, that Sir William
Courtenay, in the year 1664, granted a rent-charge for ever to the use of
the poor of Tavistock. This, probably, was the endowment of the
Courtenay almshouse, which is a rent-charge of 8l. 12s.
P. 477. The ministers who receive the benefit of Mr. Watts's gift are
Dissenters: the original nominees were non-conformists: one of them was
an eminent divine of that community, Mr. Obadiah Hughes. It was directed by the donor, that as often as any one of these ministers should
die, the three survivors should nominate another godly religious person to
supply his place.
Among the papers already mentioned, were churchwardens' accounts of
the year 1392, 1448, and 1449; but not containing any entry that is interesting.
WEST TEIGNMOUTH, p. 489. It is remarkable, that the French historians
should have magnified the burning of this place, which is scarcely known
in English history, into an important event. Teignmouth is described as
a great port, and the fishing vessels are metamorphosed into frigates and
men of war. (fn. 30)
BISHOP'S TEIGNTON, p. 493. Mr. Christopher Coleman, in 1719, gave
the sum of 200l., with which, and 157l. 10s., partly the gift of other
persons, and partly advanced by the parish, lands were purchased. The
said Mr. Coleman gave 50l. to build a school-house, and, in 1729, bequeathed
the further sum of 200l. to buy land for the purpose of securing an
annuity of 8l. to be appropriated for the repair of the school-house, and
when not wanted for that use, to purchase fuel and clothes. It is supposed that the land so charged was given up to the trustees, and was
included in the lands now let altogether at 40l. per annum. The whole
income is expended in repairing the premises, and clothing and educating
the children. In 1821 twenty-one boys and girls were taught at Bishop's
Teignton, and 12 in the distant hamlet of Lewton, or Luton. I find no
mention in the Commissioners' report of the benefaction of Sir John Lear,
mentioned in this page.
KING'S TEIGNTON, p. 495. See p. 600 for an account of the hospital
mentioned in this page.
THELBRIDGE, p. 497. Penelope Sydenham (date not known) gave the
interest of 40l. to this parish, which is appropriated to teaching children.
ST. THOMAS, p. 499. John Jones, Esq. is lately deceased.
TIVERTON, p. 513. 518. Mr. Blundell, the collateral descendant of the
founder of Tiverton school, is lately dead. P. 516. — The residue of Mr.
Enchmarch's donation, which is 13l. per annum, is now given to the minister
of the Steps meeting, who is entitled also to the interest of 180l. 10d.
three per cents., given by Mr. John Tristram, in 1778; 29l. per annum
from a rent-charge and messuages given by John and Thomas Keene about
1716; 8l. per annum from a benefaction of Eliz. Lichigary, in 1790; and
8l. per annum from a residuary legacy of Fr. Warren, about 1800. Some
houses, and a piece of land for a burial-ground, were given to the Baptist
minister by Faith Chorlock, in 1810. There is a benefaction also to the
Baptist minister, of Richard Hooper, in 1741, which produces about 8l.
per annum, from the rent of houses; another of Th. Glass, M. D., which
produces 27l. per annum, from the same source; and about 16l. per annum
arising from money given by D. A. Munt, in 1783.
P. 517. The estates of Grenwaye's almshouse are now 284l. 3s. 4d.
The pensioners' allowances were raised, in 1818, to 5s. a week (with a
sack of coals at Christmas); and it is intended, when the estate is
out of debt, to double their number. The manor of Daccomb is in the
parish of Coffinswell. George Slee's son charged the rectory of Coldridge
with 20l. per annum, for the endowment of the almshouse founded by his
father at Tiverton: 5s. is allowed to the person who brings the annuity.
There was an almshouse at Tiverton, founded in 1696 by John Alstone,
for six poor fullers. The land purchased for its endowment was let at 20l.
per annum. In consequence of the concealment of a previous settlement
on his family by the vendor, this estate was some years ago claimed by his
descendants, and their legal right appeared so clear that it was given up by
the trustees, and the endowment appears to be now irrecoverably lost. (fn. 31)
P. 518. The school-income, in 1820, was 650l. 18s. 1d., including
219l. 7s. 2d. dividends on stock. Richard Down, Esq., in 1806, gave 700l.
three per cent. consols, for an exhibition from this school at Oxford or Cambridge, for three years.
P. 519. The rent-charge, which is misprinted 78l. in Dunsford's History
of Tiverton, as well as in this page, was 90l. per annum. Gilberd's benefaction was 300l., laid out in 1792 in the purchase of 332l. 7s. 11d. three
per cent consols. There is a further sum of 100l. three per cents., which has
arisen from savings. The total rental of the lands belonging to the other
charity-school in this page is correct, but the particulars of Newte's and
Tristram's lands erroneous. The present rent of Tristram's is 31l. 10s.;
that of Newte's 80l. The donation of the Rev. John Newte to the charity
school at Cove was the eighth part of a tenement now let at 31l. 10s.,
which produces, therefore, nearly 4l. per annum. Mr. Peter Newte, in
1719, gave the eighth of another estate, which now lets at 80l. per annum,
to the village-schools. The charity receives only 5l. per annum from this
benefaction, which is paid to a schoolmistress at Chevithorn.
TOR MOHUN, p. 525. A monument was lately erected in the church,
in memory of Edmund and Eliza, son and daughter of Robert Peel, Esq.,
of Tor Abbey, who died in 1821, at the respective ages of 20 and 16.
TOTNES, p. 535. Richard Lee, in 1619, gave 100l., to be laid out in
lands for the benefit of a resident preacher; it is not certain what land
was purchased with this gift. Mr. Christopher Maynard gave a messuage
called the Prest-house, and Mr. Christopher Wise the sum of 50l., to be
laid out in land towards the maintenance of a lecturer. There is no
lecturer at Totnes, nor is it certainly known what tenement was meant by
the Prest-house, nor what lands were purchased with Mr. Wise's gift.
P. 536. The rent of the grammar-school land is now 70l. per annum; a
school-room is provided by the corporation, but there is no house for the
master. The charity-school existed before 1734, when Mr. Charles Taylor charged a house with 40s. per annum towards its endowment: this
house is the residence of the master and mistress. The land produces
now 38l. 10s. per annum, and it has a rent-charge of 20s., supposed to have
been given also by Mr. John Philips.
Walter Dowse's gift to the Magdalen consisted of a tenement and
garden. In 1617 there were six poor in this hospital, who had 4s. 6d. a
week distributed among them. The vicar then read prayers in the chapel.
In 1633 Richard Kelly gave a rent-charge of 20s. per annum to this
hospital. The hospital lands are now let at 14l. 2s. 3d. per annum.
Samuel Rodd, in 1654, founded an almshouse for six poor men, and
gave a messuage for its repairs, the residue of rent to be expended in
clothing. This is supposed to be now the parish work-house. John Norris
gave by will, in 1589, 100l. for building an almshouse, and 150l. for its
endowment. It was built for two poor persons. Luke Short gave 40l.
for building houses for the poor: it is supposed that these were attached to
Norris's, which has been enlarged by additional tenements; poor persons
are placed in them by the corporation.
UFFCULME, p. 541. The sum given for the building and endowing of
the school was 1200l., of which 400l. was expended for the purchase of
the site and building the house. In 1819, the stock consisted of 1551l. 2s. 9d.
three per cent. reduced. Four boys are to be taught gratis; two of Uffculme, and two of Burlescombe or Holcombe Rogus; but there have been
few applications from those parishes.
UGBOROUGH, p. 543. Among the Hele estates, appropriated to St. John's
hospital, at Exeter, in 1658, was Earlscombe, in this parish, on which
was then a chapel.
WALKHAMPTON, p. 546. The present rent of Lady Modyford's lands is
161l. 12s. 4d. per annum. There is 700l. in the hands of Sir M. Lopes,
who pays no interest for it; and about 457l. in the hands of Mr. Giles,
the receiver. Lady Modyford directed, that the schoolmaster should have
a salary of 17l. per annum: 20 boys to be educated, and nominated by the
owner of Marystow: 1l. per annum was allowed for fuel, 2l. per annum for
Prayer-books, &c.: every boy, at the end of four years, was to have a
Bible, the surplus to be given to them in clothing. There was some allowance, also, out of the surplus, for apprenticing boys, and for paying the houserent of poor women of Tamerton Foliot and other neighbouring parishes.
The school-boys to be of Walkhampton, and deficiencies to be supplied from
Buckland Monachorum, or Shipstor. The master has now a salary of 40l.
per annum, and 5l. allowed for slates, &c. The boys were increased from
20 to 30, in 1785. There are now 30 boys and 10 girls: the mistress has
a salary of 10l. per annum. The boys are taught reading, writing, and
arithmetic; the girls reading, writing, needle-work, and knitting. Upon
deficiencies in the above-mentioned parishes, children are now admitted
from Meavy and Sampford Spiney. The affairs of this charity are in
WEMBURY, p. 550. Josias Calmady, Esq., in 1682, gave 500l., to be laid
out in land, for the curate of Wembury, under certain regulations. There
being some doubt about the investment, Mrs. Calmady, the representative
of the donor, pays 20l. per annum; which sum appears to have been paid
for more than a century.
P. 551. l. 1. for "Exeter," read "Windsor." Sir Warwick Hele built
an almshouse in this parish for ten poor people, with a chapel in the
centre, and by his will, in 1625, gave them 3l. a piece yearly, charged on
estates at Holbeton, &c. There is no restriction as to sex, but the persons
now appointed are poor old women: one house is kept vacant, and the
allowance reserved for repairs, for which there was no provision. There
is no service performed in the chapel.
WHITECHURCH, p. 555. John Taylor, Esq. purchased Halwill about
1795, of the representative of the Glanville family, in whose uninterrupted
possession it had been till that time.
WIDDECOMBE-IN-THE-MOOR, p. 559. The sum of 40s. per annum, given
by William Culling in 1722, has been appropriated to the charity-school.
WITHECOMBE RALEIGH, p. 560. The sum of 7l. per annum is payable
to the vicar out of the lands given by Mr. Drake to charitable uses.
See p. 587.
WIDWORTHY, p. 561. Four children only are taught out of the fund
given for the education of the poor of this place.
WOLBOROUGH, p. 567. Sir William Waller, in his "Recollections,"
says, "My endeavour to supplant Mr. Yarde in his possession of the market
of Newton Abbot, though upon a dormant title, yet proceeding from a
covetous end, was justly punished by the loss of the thing sued for, and in
all that befell me in the King's Bench." Mr. Yarde's market was at Newton
Bushell. Sir William Waller's claim was under a grant for a market at
Newton Abbot, to the Abbey of Tor. Sir William Waller rebuilt the
market-house at Newton Abbot at his own expence in 1684, as appears by
the parish papers.
P. 568. Lady Reynell, by her deed bearing date 1640, gave a close of
ground, several messuages in Newton Abbot, and an estate at Paignton,
for the purpose of paying 5l. per annum each, to the four widows in the
houses of her foundation, and providing for their maintenance in sickness;
and for the repair of the houses. The remainder, the trustees are most
solemnly enjoined to appropriate to such charitable uses, as they may think
consonant to the donor's intention. The estate at Paignton is now let for
63l. 10s. per annum; the close for 5l. per annum; but the messuages are
in the hands of Lord Courtenay's lessee. A bill in chancery is now pending for the purpose of recovering them for the charity, and it is hoped that
the trustees will be enabled to make an allowance of 15l. per annum to
each of four widows, besides maintenance in sickness.
FURTHER ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS.
EGG-BUCKLAND, p. 81. See also Gentlemen's Seats, p. ccxxviii. Addis
Archer, Esq., died in the month of July, 1822.
EXETER, p. 178. The plan of the city facing this page is copied from
that in Braun's Civitates Orbis terrarum, which bears date 1618. — P. 221.
It is probable that I was misinformed as to Joanna Southcott having been
a native of Exeter. An anonymous pamphlet published in 1814 asserts
that she was born at Gittisham in the month of April, and baptised
at St. Mary Ottery, June 6, 1750. The latter is confirmed by an extract
from the Register printed in Dr. Reece's pamphlet, published in 1815.