LADOCK, (vulgarly called Lassick,) in the deanery and in the east division of
the hundred of Powder, lies about four miles north-west of Grampound, about
six north of Tregony, and about seven north-east of Truro, which is the postoffice town. The principal village in this parish is Bedock alias Besock.
The manor of Ladock belonged successively to the Carminows, Courtenays,
and Mohuns of Boconnoc (fn. 1) ; having passed with that estate, is now the property
of Lord Grenville, who has also the manors of Trethurfe and Nansough in this
parish. The barton of Trethurfe was the seat of a family of that name, one of
whose coheiresses married Courtenay of Lanrake: it now belongs to the Earl of
Cork, and Stephen Poyntz, Esq., as representatives of Kelland Courtenay, Esq.,
the last heir male of that branch of the family (fn. 2) . The barton of Nansough, which
belonged formerly to the family of Wife, is now the property and residence of
Mr. Charles Andrew.
The manor of Bedock alias Bezock, was one of those seized by the crown in
the reign of Queen Elizabeth, as the property of Francis Tregian, who was convicted of harbouring Cuthbert Mayne, the Popish priest, and granted to Cary
Lord Hunsdon: it was re-purchased by Francis Tregian the younger in the reign
of James I., and not long afterwards alienated, and came into the Arundell family.
Lady Frances, widow of the Honourable Richard Arundell, (uncle of the last
Lord Arundell of Trerice,) gave it to her nephew William Viscount Galway,
whose son, Robert Viscount Galway, sold it, in 1780, to Sir Christopher Hawkins, Bart., the present proprietor.
Hay, a seat of the Randylls, and afterwards successively of the families of Tregian
and Bone, belonged at a later period to the Hearles, and is now the property
of Samuel Stephens, Esq., who married the representative of one of the coheiresses
of that family.
Lord Grenville, and the representatives of Mr. Courtenay, have the alternate
patronage of the rectory. There is the site of a decayed chapel at VentonLassick.
The Rev. John Eliot, rector of Ladock and Truro, who died in 1760, having
bequeathed his property to be disposed of in charitable uses, the trustees applied
it in part towards endowing six charity-schools in this county, one of which was
at Ladock, with five pounds per annum each. This disposition was confirmed by
a decree of chancery in 1764.
Lalant or Lelant
LALANT or LELANT, in the deanery and in the east division of the hundred
of Penwith, is written in old records La Nant: it lies on the Hayle, three miles to
the south-east of St. Ives, which is the post-office town. The principal villages in
this parish, exclusively of the church-town, are Brunian, Trecroben, Tredreath or
Lower Lalant town, Trembetha, and Trink. Norden speaks of Lalant as having
been "somtyme a haven towne, but then of late decayed, by reason of the sande
which had choaked the harbour and buried much of the lands and howses: many
devises," says he, "they use to prevent the obsorpation of the churche." The
principal population of this parish is now at Lalant town, higher up the Hayle,
towards Trevethow. The tradition is yet current, that there was a considerable
town near the church, and that the trade of the Hayle was on the Lalant side,
till the sands drove the inhabitants farther to the south. So lately as the year
1780, the sand was almost as high as the church-yard wall, and its boundaries
scarcely discernible; but by planting rushes, the sands have become stationary,
and the fence is now visible. There is a cattle-fair at Lalant on the 15th of
Samuel Stephens, Esq. of Tregenna, has a manor which is called Lalant and
St. Ives. This we suppose to have been the estate which was confirmed to the
monastery of Tywardreth, by Robert de Cardinham, in the reign of Richard I.,
by the name of Villa de la Nanta and Tredrait.
The Trevethow estate, called the manor of Lalant and Trevethow, belonged to
the baronial family of Bottreaux (fn. 3) , and afterwards successively to those of Godolphin (fn. 4) and Praed. The great-grandfather of the present proprietor (William Praed,
Esq., M.P.) being a younger son of the Mackworths of Glamorganshire, took
the name of Praed, on succeeding to the estates of the last heir male of the lastmentioned family, who died in 1717. Trevethow, the seat of the Praeds, has of
late years been mostly uninhabited, except a part which is occupied by the tenant
of the demesnes; the present owner residing chiefly at his seat at Tyringham in
The manor of Trembethow is said to have been the seat of John Hals, one of
the Justices of the Common Pleas in the reign of Henry V., and to have been by
him sold to the Godolphins (fn. 5) : in the reign of Queen Elizabeth it was in the family
of Mohun: it is now in severalties, one-third being the property of William
Praed, Esq., another of Arthur Champernowne, Esq., and the remaining third
divided between Samuel Stephens, Esq., the Rev. H. H. Tremayne, and F. H.
Rodd, Esq., as heirs of the family of Hearle.
Goonwin or Gunwin, formerly a seat of the Pawleys, for whom there are
memorials in the parish-church, (bearing date 1625, 1721, &c.) passed afterwards to the Praeds: the old mansion has been taken down, and two farm-houses
built on the site.
The church of St. Uny Lalant, said to have been the burial-place of the saint
to whom it is dedicated, (a brother of St. Herygh,) is the mother-church of St. Ives
and Tawednack. The church was given or confirmed by Robert de Cardinham to
the monastery of Tywardreth, in the reign of Richard I. (fn. 6) , but afterwards became
appropriated to the college of Crediton in Devonshire. The rectorial estate having
been in the seventeenth century vested in the Maynard family, was inherited by the
Hobarts: the late Earl of Buckinghamshire sold it to Humphrey Mackworth Praed,
Esq., and it is now the property of William Praed, Esq., except the great tithes of
St. Ives, which were purchased by Sir Christopher Hawkins, Bart. The vicarage
is in the gift of the Bishop of Exeter. The glebe consists of fifty acres; but of
these about eight only are cultivated, the remainder being covered with hillocks
LAMORRAN, in the deanery and in the west division of the hundred of Powder,
lies three miles and a half nearly south-west from Tregony, and about five nearly
south-east from Truro, which is the post-office town. The only village in this
parish, except the church-town, is that of Tregennah.
The manor of Lamorran belonged, as early as the year 1327, to the family of
Halep, from whom, before 1383 (fn. 7) , it had passed to the Trevenors: before 1556
the coheiresses of Richard Trevenor had brought it into the families of Roscarrock
and Chamond (fn. 8) : John Verman, Esq. died seised of it in 1658, as appears by his
monument in the church; his family continued to be possessed of it till about the
beginning of the last century, when it passed to the Sparks (fn. 9) . Sir John Molesworth, Bart. was lord of the manor in 1736: it is now the property of Lord Falmouth, having been purchased by his father, the late Lord, of the Molesworth
family. The manor-house is occupied by a farmer. Lord Falmouth is patron of
the rectory, the advowson of which has always been annexed to the manor.
LANDEWEDNACK, in the deanery and in the west division of the hundred of
Kirrier, lies in the district of Meneage, about nine miles south-south-east of Helston,
which is the post-office town, and about fourteen south-south-west from Falmouth.
The only village, except the church-town, is a cluster of houses near the LizardPoint, called Lizard town.
The manor of Trethevas or Tretheves, Lucies, and Rosswick, extending over
this parish, Ruan-Minor and Grade, was successively in the families of Carminow
and Reskymer (fn. 10) ; at a later period (from 1631 to 1768) in that of Robinson, by
whom it was sold in the last-mentioned year to Thomas Fonnereau, Esq.: it is
now the property of Sir Christopher Hawkins, Bart., by whom it was purchased
after Mr. Fonnereau's death.
The advowson of the rectory was formerly an appendage to the manor of
Rosswick (fn. 11) , the site of which manor appears to be in the parish of St. Keverne:
it is still in the Robinson family. The ancient font, and some remarkable instances
of longevity at Landewednack, have been elsewhere spoken of (fn. 12) . The LizardPoint, the Soapy-Rock, and Kynans-Cove (fn. 13) , are in this parish.
Landrake, or Lamrake
LANDRAKE, or LANRAKE, in the deanery and in the south division of the
hundred of East, lies three miles north-north-east of St. Germans, which is the
post-office town, and four west-north-west of Saltash. The small village of
Wotton-Cross is in this parish, and part of Tidiford, where an extensive trade
in lime-burning is carried on. The other part of Tidiford is in St. Germans.
There are two cattle-fairs in this parish, July 19, and August 24.
The manor of Lanrake, which is called by Tonkin the very best in the county,
belonged at an early period to the family of St. Margaret (fn. 14) ; in the seventeenth
century it was the property of Serjeant Maynard, whose heiress brought it to the
Hobarts: the late Earl of Buckinghamshire gave it in marriage with his daughter
to Lord Mount-Edgcumbe. The manor-house is occupied by a farmer.
Wotton, in this parish, the seat of an ancient family of that name, whose heiress
brought it to a branch of the Courtenays, and afterwards of the family of Rowse,
is now the property of Francis Dogherty, Esq., in right of his wife, who was
heiress of the family of Blake. There are no remains of the old mansion. The
Earl of Buckinghamshire is impropriator of the great tithes which belonged to
the priory of St. Germans, and patron of the vicarage, as representative of the
LANDULPH, in the deanery and in the south division of the hundred of East, is
situated on the banks of the Tamar, two miles north from Saltash, and five southeast from Callington. Plymouth-dock, which by water is about five miles from
Landulph, is the post-office town. The only village of any consequence in this
parish, except the church-town, is Car-Green.
The manor of Landulph was at an early period in the baronial family of D'Alneto,
Dawney, or Danny, from whom it passed by a female heir to the Courtenays:
after the first attainder in the Courtenay family, it was in the temporary possession
(by successive grants from the crown) of Ralph Ashton and Thomas Grayson (fn. 15) :
on the attainder of Henry Marquis of Exeter, it was finally alienated from the
Courtenay family, and annexed with other estates to the duchy of Cornwall, in
lieu of the honor of Wallingford. In consequence of the sale of crown-lands
during the interregnum in the seventeenth century, this manor became for a while
the property of Sir Gregory Norton. The manor of Ellbridge, Tellbridge, or
Thelbridge, was in the reign of James I. the property of James Crosman, who had
purchased it of Nicholas Skelton (fn. 16) ; it was held under the manor of Ashetorre, and
is now the property of Mrs. Bluett, having of late passed with the Halton estate.
Clifton, in this parish, supposed to be one of the franchises described by Carew,
was the seat of a younger branch of the Arundells of Trerice. Thomas Arundell
(son of Sir John Arundell, by Anne Moyle) built the house about the year 1500; and
it continued in the Arundells till about the year 1620: it is probable that it was
afterwards in the Killigrews, it being certain that it was in the successive possession
of Sir Nicholas Lower and Sir Reginald Mohun, who married the daughters of Sir
Henry Killigrew; the former died without issue. Clifton, which was inherited by
the Mohuns, was sold, after the death of the last Lord Mohun, to Thomas Pitt,
Esq., grandfather of the first Lord Camelford; and having passed with Boconnoc
and other estates in this county to Lady Grenville, was purchased in 1807 by the
Rev. Francis Vyvyan Jago, rector of Landulph, who is the present proprietor.
The old mansion remains, with its hall, chapel, &c., but much dilapidated: it is
occupied as a farm-house
In the parish-church is the following inscription, upon a small brass tablet:
"Here lyeth the body of Theodore Paleologus, of Pesaro in Italy, descended
from the Imperial line of the last Christian Emperors of Greece, being the son of
Camillo, the son of Prosper, the son of Theodoro, the son of John, the son of
Thomas, second brother of Constantine Paleologus, the eighth of that name, and
last of the line that reigned in Constantinople, till subdued by the Turks, who
married with Mary, the daughter of William Balls of Hadlye in Suffolk, Gent.,
and had issue five children, Theodoro, John, Ferdinando, Maria, and Dorothy.
He departed this life at Clyston, the 21st of January 1636."
Thomas, brother of Constantine Paleologus, of whom Mahomet II., Emperor of
the Turks, gave this character,—"that in the great country of Peloponnesus, he
had found many slaves, but never a man but him (fn. 17) ," after defending the castle of
Salmonica a whole year against the Turks, made his escape from that fortress,
when all hope of relief had been abandoned, and fled into Italy, where Pope
Pius II. allowed him a pension till his death. It is probable that Theodore, the
descendant of Prince Thomas, who lies buried at Landulph, sought an asylum in
England, in consequence of the hostility shewn towards the Greeks by Pope
Paul V., and his successor Gregory XV. We have not been able to learn what
became of the sons of this descendant of the Imperial line: his daughter Dorothy
was married at Landulph, to William Arundell, in 1656, and died in 1681; and
his daughter Mary, who died unmarried, was buried there in 1674, as appears by
the parish register.
The rectory of Landulph is in the patronage of the Prince of Wales, as Duke
LANEAST, in the deanery of Trigg-Major, and in the north division of the
hundred of East, lies about seven miles nearly west from Launceston, which is
the post-office town. There are only two small villages in this parish, except the
church-town, Badgall and Trespearn. The manor of Laneast is the joint property
of Mr. Sampson Rowe and William Baron, a minor. Mr. Rowe's father purchased
it of the trustees of the representatives of the Arundells of Trerice, who long
possessed the manor by inheritance from the family of Durant (fn. 18) . The church of
Laneast was formerly appropriated to the priory of Launceston: the great tithes
are now vested in Mr. George Bennett; the small tithes, out of which the sum of
7l. per annum is payable to the perpetual curate, belong to Mr. Baron and
Mr. Cock, who present to the curacy alternately.
LANHYDROCK, in the hundred and deanery of Pyder, lies about two miles and a
half south-south-east of Bodmin, which is the post-office town, and three miles
north-north-west of Lostwithiel. In this parish are the village of Trebyan, on
the road from Bodmin to Lostwithiel, and part of Respryn (fn. 19) or Reprin, where is
a bridge over the Fowey, on the road from Bodmin to Liskeard and Plymouth.
The manor of Lanhydrock, which extends into the borough of Bodmin, and the
parish of Cardinham, belonged at an early period to the Glynns, one of which family
brought it as a marriage portion to the Lytteltons: the heiress of Lyttelton married
Trenance; in 1620, Lyttelton Trenance, Esq. sold it to Sir Richard Robartes,
who was created a baronet and afterwards a baron, by King James I. His son
John (Lord Robartes) attached himself to the parliament during the civil war,
and was one of the generals in the west: his estates were in consequence seized
by the King, and were granted to Sir Richard Grenville. Lanhydrock-house,
which had been garrisoned by its owner, was taken by Sir Richard Grenville,
who was at that time one of the King's generals in the west, not long before the
surrender of Essex's army in 1644 (fn. 20) . Upon the decline of the King's affairs,
Lord Robartes became again possessed of Lanhydrock, which was his chief
country-seat, and made great improvements in the house and park (fn. 21) . During the
protectorate of Cromwell he led a retired life, and having concurred heartily in
the Restoration, was received into the favour of King Charles II., became successively Lord Privy Seal, Lord-lieutenant of Ireland, and President of the Council,
and in 1679 was created Viscount Bodmin and Earl of Radnor. Tonkin says,
that he originally took the title of Earl of Falmouth, which he bore six days (fn. 22) .
John Earl of Radnor died in 1685, and lies buried at Lanhydrock. Mary Vere
Robartes, sister of Henry Earl of Radnor, brought Lanhydrock, and the greater
part of the Cornish estates, in marriage to Thomas Hunt, Esq., of Mollington in
Cheshire, whose grand-daughter, relict of the Honourable Charles Bagenal Agar,
is the present proprietor. Lanhydrock-house, the seat of Mrs. Agar, is an ancient
quadrangular building, fitted up in the style which prevailed in the early part of
the seventeenth century. In the gallery, which is 116 feet in length, and ornamented with a variety of Scripture subjects on the cieling and cornices, is a portrait
of the first Earl of Radnor, (from which there is an engraving, now very rare,)
with other family pictures.
The manor of Treffry, in this parish, which extends into the borough of Bodmin
and parish of Lanivet, was the property and seat of the ancient family of that
name, afterwards of Place in Fowey: it continued in that family as late as the
reign of Charles I., but has been long attached to the Robartes estate, and is now
the property of the Honourable Mrs. Agar. There is now only a farm-house on
In the parish-church is the monument of Lady Essex Speccot, daughter of John
Earl of Radnor, who died in 1689; and a tablet of slate for George and Jane
Carminow, on which are verses in Latin and English, the latter beginning with the
following play on the family name: "The care of mine I owe to Carminow."
George Carminow died in 1599, Jane Carminow in 1609. The Carminows had
a seat at Lanhydrock. The tithes of this parish having been appropriated formerly
to the priory of Bodmin, are now vested in Mrs. Agar, who has the appointment of
the curate. There was an ancient chapel at a place called Ford-farm in this parish.
LANIVET, in the hundred and deanery of Pyder, lies two miles and a half
west of Bodmin, which is the post-office town. The principal villages in this
parish are, Bodwanick, Bokiddick, Lamorick, St. Inganger, Trebell, Tregullon,
Tremoore, and Woodly. Part of the village of St. Lawrence also is in this
About a quarter of a mile from the parish-church are the remains of a
monastery of the Benedictine order, called St. Bennets. We have no certain
account of this religious house, which is said to have been a nunnery subordinate
to some foreign monastery, some say Mount Caffine, in Italy; others Clareval, in
Burgundy. Credys, in Padstow, was a cell to St. Bennets, and is now vested in
the twelve men of the parish of Lanivet, as they are called, who are trustees of
the parish-lands. St. Bennets, which had long been a seat of the Courtenays, was
sold by Martha Courtenay, in 1710, to Bernard Pennington: after an intermediate sale, it was purchased, in 1720, by Mr. Richard Grose, great-grandfather
of Mr. Nicholas Grose, the present proprietor. The remains of the monastery
are inhabited by some of Mr. Grose's labourers: we cannot learn who is the
present proprietor of the manor of Lanivet, which belonged to the monastery of
St. Bennets, and after the Reformation to the Chivertons.
The manors of Bodwanick and Resperie or Reperie, which belonged for many
generations to the Arundells, is now, by purchase from Lord Arundell, the
property of E. J. Glynn, Esq. The manors of Rosewarrick, Tremoore, and Bodwithgie, (the latter of which is partly in Luxulion,) are the property of the
Honourable Mrs. Agar, as representative of the Robartes family. Tremoore or
Tremeere, had been at an early period in a family of that name, whose heiress
married into the St. Aubyn family. The barton of Tremeere was for many years
a seat of the Courtenays of Trethurfe, the last heir male of whom died in 1761.
William Poyntz, Esq., whose mother was one of the coheiresses of the Courtenays,
has lately sold this estate, which is now, by purchase from Paynter, the property
of E. J. Glynn, Esq.: the house is occupied by a farmer.
In the parish-church are monuments of the Courtenays of Tremere; on that
of Richard Courtenay, who died in 1632, is the following inscription:
They livd and dyed both in Tremere,
God hath their souls, their bones lie here.
Richard with Thomsen his lovd wife
Livd 61 years, then ended life.
The Rev. Nicholas Phillipps, the present incumbent, is patron of the rectory.
The Exeter registers make mention of a chapel in this parish, dedicated to
St. Budock. At St. Congar, in this parish, said to have been in ancient times the
residence of a hermit, was a chapel and well, dedicated to that saint. St. Congar
barton was some time a seat of the Lukeys.
There are certain lands in Lanivet, Padstow, and other parishes, most of which
belonged to the monastery of St. Bennets, and now producing about 110l. per
annum, vested in twelve feoffees, called the twelve men of the parish, for the use
of the poor: these feoffees maintain certain poor persons in an ancient alms-house,
and a charity-school under the same roof, the master of which is allowed a salary
of 8l. per annum, and an habitation.
LANLIVERY, in the deanery and in the east division of the hundred of Powder,
lies two miles west-south-west of Lostwithiel, which is the post-office town, and
about five miles south of Bodmin.
The manors of Penkneth, Pentneth, or Penknight, Penlyne and Restormell,
belong to the duchy of Cornwall. The two former were among the manors
given by the Conqueror to Robert Earl of Moreton and Cornwall: no mention
is made of Restormell or Lostwithiel in the survey of Domesday. Restormell
castle was a seat of the Cardinans, and was probably built by them. We find
it, in the year 1264, in the possession of Thomas Tracy, who married the heiress
of that ancient baronial family. Among the documents of the Arundell family
is a deed, dated at Restormell, by which the said Thomas Tracy surrendered
the castle of Restormell, and the barony of Cardinham, to Ralph Arundell, to be
held on behalf of Simon de Montfort, as a security against his enemies, who had
threatened them with destruction (fn. 23) . Restormell castle, not long afterwards,
came into the possession of the Earls of Cornwall. Edmund, Earl of Cornwall,
died seised of the manor, castle, and park of Restormell in 1300. As William
of Worcester speaks of Restormell castle as having been the residence of Edmund
Earl of Cornwall, it is probable, that as he seems to have been the first Earl
who possessed it, he was the only one who inhabited it (fn. 24) ; although it has ever
since continued to be annexed to the duchy. Thomas de la Hyde was made
governor of Restormell castle in the year 1307 (fn. 25) : in 1331, William de Bottreaux
resigned the command of it to John de Carminow (fn. 26) . Restormell park was leased
to the Earl of Bedford in 1559. So early as the year 1337, this castle is described in an official survey (fn. 27) as considerably out of repair: the details of the
survey do not convey the idea of much magnificence or extensive accommodation;
there were a hall, a chapel, three chambers, and three upper chambers, within
the gates; without the gate, another hall and a chapel, two chambers and five
upper chambers, besides the kitchen, &c. Leland speaks of the bass court of
Restormell castle as sore defaced in his time; "the fair large dungeon," says he,
"yet stondith, a chapel cast out of it, a newer work than it, and now onrofid."
Carew, speaking of the ruinous condition of this castle, says, "Certes it may
move compassion, that a palace so healthfull for aire, so delightfull for prospect,
so necessary for commodities, so fayre for building, and so strong for defence,
should in time of secure peace, and under the protection of his naturall princes,
be wronged with those spoylings, then which it could endure no greater at the
hands of any forrayne and deadly enemy, &c." Norden, who wrote about the
same time, thus laments over the ruins of Restormell:—"The whole castle beginneth to mourne, and to wringe out harde stones for teares, that shee that was
imbraced, visited and delighted with greate princes, is now desolate, forsaken and
forelorne: the cannon needes not batter, nor the pioner to undermine, nor
powder to blow up this so famous a pyle, for time and tirranie hath wrowght her
desolation: her water pypes of lead, manie and of great use, are cutt up, the
coveringe lead gone, the planchings rotten, the walls fall downe, the fayre and
large chymnye peeces, and all that would yeld monie or serve for use, are converted to private men's purposes; and these remayneth a forlorne showe of
honor, not contentinge anie compassionate eye to behold her lingrynge decayes.
Men greyve to see the dying delayes of anie brute creature, so may we mourne
to see so stately a pyle so longe a fallinge; if it be of noe use, the carcase would
make some profit; therefore, if it deserve, let her fall be no longer delayde, els
will it dropp peece-meale downe, and her now profitable reliques will then serve
to little or no use. Ther is one Mr. Samuel hath it now by lease." Notwithstanding its ruinous condition, such was its commanding situation, that it was
deemed expedient in the civil war so far to repair this castle, as to make it a
place of defence; and it became first a garrison belonging to the parliament.
Previously to the capitulation of Essex's army in 1644, it was taken by Sir Richard
Grenville for the King, on the 21st of August (fn. 28) . The Parliamentary Survey (fn. 29) ,
taken in 1649, describes Restormell castle as utterly ruined, consisting merely of
the outer walls, which were not worth the expence of taking down. The ruined
walls of this castle, covered with ivy, still remain, situated on the edge of a lofty
hill (fn. 30) . Besides the chapels before-mentioned, there was one in the park, at the
foot of the hill, dedicated to the Holy Trinity (fn. 31) ; on or near the site of the latter
is a house, some time ago called Trinity, now Restormell house, occupied by John
Hext, Esq., as tenant to the Earl of Mount-Edgcumbe, who has a lease of the
manor, castle, and park (fn. 32) . Restormell park was disparked by King Henry VIII.,
together with other parks in Cornwall, at the instance of Sir Richard Pollard (fn. 33) .
The manor of Polhorman, which was part of the large possessions of Sir Robert
Tresilian, Chief Justice of the King's Bench, and was granted with other manors,
after his attainder, to Sir Humphry Stafford (fn. 34) , has been for many generations in
the family of the present proprietor, the Rev. Nicholas Kendall, whose ancestors
have long had their seat at Pelyn in this parish. The Kendalls of Pelyn are descended from Walter, third son of John Kendall of Treworgy, who married a
daughter and coheir of Robert Holland, an illegitimate son of the Earl of Exeter.
The manor of Bodardle or Bodarle belonged, in the reign of Richard I., to
Robert de Cardinham; and it is most probable, that it is was before in the
Fitz-Williams by the match with whose heiress he acquired his large possessions in
this county: in 1259 it was conveyed by Isolda de Cardinham, who had been
the wife of Thomas Tracy, to Oliver de Dinaunt, in whose posterity it continued
for several generations; it was afterwards in the family of Robartes, Earls of
Radnor, and is now the property of their representative, the Honourable Mrs. Agar.
The manor of Polchoath, a small portion of which lies in Lanlivery, and the other
part in Lostwithiel and St. Winnow, is now also the property of Mrs. Agar, as
representative of the Robartes family.
The manor of Steckstinton, which, by the name of Tregesteynton, belonged to the
Carminows of Boconnoc, and passed from them to the Courtenays (fn. 35) , belongs now to
Lord Grenville, in right of his lady, having passed by the same title as Boconnoc.
In the parish-church are memorials for several of the family of Kendall of
Pelyn (fn. 36) . The church of Lanlivery, called sometimes Lanvorck, or the church
of St. Vorck, which had been given to the monks of Tywardreth by Baldwin,
son of Thurstan, was confirmed to them, in the reign of Richard I., by Robert
de Cardinham (fn. 37) . Lord Mount-Edgcumbe is now impropriator of the great
tithes which had been appropriated to the monastery of Tywardreth. The
advowson of the vicarage was granted to Walter Kendall, Esq., and his heirs, in
the reign of Henry VIII., by the prior of Tywardreth, subject to the annual
payment of four marks to that monastery (fn. 38) . It is now vested in his descendant,
the Rev. Nicholas Kendall of Pelyn. There were formerly chapels at Bodardle
dedicated to St. Nicholas, and at Poldew dedicated to St. Peter, besides that in
Restormell park already mentioned.
LANREATH, in the hundred and deanery of West, lies four miles and a half
north-east from Fowey, five miles and a half south-south-east from Lostwithiel,
and the same distance west-north-west from Looe, and seven south-west from
Liskeard, which is the regular post-office town. There are cattle-fairs at Lanreath on Whit-Tuesday, and November 18; a third has, of late, been held three
weeks after Shrove-Tuesday.
The manor of Lanreath, called, in ancient records, Lanrethou, belonged, as
early as the reign of Edward I., to the family of Serjeaux, one of whose coheiresses
brought it to the Pashleys: about 1512 it belonged to the heirs of John Chudleigh (fn. 39) : it was soon afterwards in the family of Chamond, from which it passed,
by successive female heirs, to those of Trevanion (fn. 40) and Grylls: it was purchased
of the latter, early in the last century, by the ancestor of Frederick Buller, Esq.,
the present proprietor. Court, the barton of this manor, on which is now a farmhouse (fn. 41) , was formerly the seat of the Grylls family, ancestors of the Rev. R. G.
Grylls of Helston.
The manor of Botelett was, at an early period, in the baronial family of Bottreaux (fn. 42) , afterwards successively in those of Robartes, Earl of Radnor, and
Treville: the coheiresses of the latter brought it to Brigadier-General Trelawney, and Mr. Cross: the Rev. Sir Harry Trelawney is now proprietor of one
moiety of this manor; the other is, at present, in the possession of Sir John Lethbridge, Bart. The manor of Treyer or Treheire was, in the reign of Henry VIII.,
the joint property of Sir Peter Edgcumbe, and John Talcarne: of late years
it has been the joint property of the Glynns and Rashleighs: in consequence of
an exchange made, not long ago, the whole is now the property of E. J. Glynn,
Esq. Trewen, some time a seat of the Dandys, and Trecan, a seat of the
Lowers, are now both farm-houses.
In the parish-church there is a handsome monument for Charles Grylls, Esq.,
barrister at law, who died in 1611, and memorials for others of the family. There
was formerly a chapel at Trefrawl in this parish, of which there are some remains.
The advowson of the rectory was purchased in the early part of the last century
of the Grylls family by J. F. Buller, Esq., and is now vested in John Buller, Esq.
In 1711, John Buller, Esq. founded a school for poor children, and endowed
it with the interest of 100l., producing five per cent.
LANSALLOES, in the hundred and deanery of West, lies three miles east from
Fowey, and two miles and a half west from Polperro, the western side of which
is in this parish: the latter is the post-office town. Polperro, called by Leland
Poulpirrhe, and described as "a little fischar town with a peere," has a small market
on Friday, and a holiday fair on the 10th of July (St. Peter's day, old style).
A mock mayor is elected on the occasion by a mock council of aldermen, and
the fair generally continues the greater part of a week with much revelry. The
situation of this little town, the other part of which is in the parish of Talland, is
singularly romantic; the houses being situated on the sides of two steep rocky hills,
which form a very narrow valley; a small river, which divides the two parishes,
runs between. There is a harbour at Polperro for vessels of 150 tons burden;
the trade is chiefly for coals and lime-stone: grain is occasionally exported. There
is a pilchard-fishery at Polperro, and an extensive hook and line fishery, which
supplies Bath, Plymouth, &c. with large quantities of fine whiting, pipers, dories,
plaice, turbot, &c. There was formerly a chapel at Polperro dedicated to
St. Peter (fn. 43) , of which there are some remains called the chapel-house, on the brow
of the western hill, above the town.
The principal villages in the parish of Lansalloes, exclusive of the church-town,
(where is a holiday fair, formerly held on Valentine's day, now on Easter Tuesday,)
are Tregavithick, Tregew or Tregue, and Trenewan.
The manor of Lansalloes was one of those which, at the time of the Domesday
survey, was held under the Earl of Cornwall, by Richard, ancestor of the
Fitz-Richards and Fitz-Williams: at an early period it was in the family of Boligh,
from which it passed, by a female heir, to that of Killiow: a descendant of the
latter sold it to John Speccot, Esq., of Penheale, under whose will it passed to the
Longs: this manor, with that of Raphel, and the advowson of the rectory,
are now the joint property of John Carpenter, Esq., of Mount-Tavy, near
Tavistock, and the heirs of the late Thomas Phillipps, Esq., by descent from Sir
Jonathan Phillipps, and the Rev. William Phillipps. The manor of Raphel or
Raffell, formerly Rathwell, was anciently in the family of Hywis (fn. 44) , from whom
it passed, by a female heir, to the Coleshills: Sir John Coleshill died seised of it in
1483 (fn. 45) : it was not long afterwards in the Coplestones, by whom it was sold to the
Speccots. (fn. 46)
The manor of Tregavithick was purchased of the Avery family, in 1751, by
the Rev. Joshua Howell, and is now the property of his son, the Rev. J. F. Howell,
one of the canons residentiary of Exeter, who possesses also the barton (purchased
of Mascy in 1760), and several other farms in this parish. The barton of GreatTradford, formerly esteemed a manor, belonged for more than two centuries to
the family of Wenmouth, the last of whom died in 1786; after which the estate
The manor of Polvethan, partly in this parish, and partly in St. Veep, belongs
to William Rashleigh, Esq., of Menabilly, M. P. The barton of West-Lansalloes,
or High-Town, belonging to Mr. Rashleigh and the Rev. J. C. Millett, was many
years a seat of the Tingcombe family, the last of whom died in 1729. GreatKilliow, the seat of the Killiows, extinct in 1711, belongs to Frederic William
Buller, Esq., under whom Mr. Zephaniah Job has a lease of the barton: the
house is in ruins. East-Clusion is the property of John Hearle, Esq., of Tregony,
whose family have possessed it about a century: the house is now occupied by a
farmer. The manor or barton of Hall, the greater part of which is in Pelynt,
extends into this parish.
LANTEGLOSS-JUXTA-CAMELFORD (so called to distinguish it from a parish of the
same name near Fowey), lies in the hundred of Lesnewth and in the deanery of
Trigg-Major, about a mile and a half distant south by west from the borough of
Camelford, which is in this parish. The principal villages in the parish are,
Fenterwanson, Forda, Helston, Trefrew, Tregoodwell, Tremagenna, Trevia, and
The manor of Helston, in Trigg, is one of the ancient duchy manors, and
most of the lands in the parish are holden of it. The site of this manor is said to
be what is called St. Syth's, or Michaelstow-Beacon, where are the vestiges of
an ancient camp. The deer-park at Lantegloss, which was disparked by King
Henry VIII., is held on lease under the duchy by John Wallis, Esq., of Bodmin.
Helsbury park, partly in this parish and partly in Advent, is held on lease under the
duchy by the Duke of Bedford. Fentonwoon, in this parish, was, for many years,
the seat of a family of Wallis, now extinct (fn. 47) : it was sold by their representatives, in
1801, to Lovell Todd, Esq., by whom it was purchased, in 1812, by John Phillipps
Carpenter, Esq., whose son is the present proprietor. Fentonwoon is now occupied as
a farm-house. The Duke of Cornwall is patron of the rectory of Lantegloss. The
Exeter Registers speak of a chapel of St. Andewin (perhaps Advent) in this parish.
Camelford was made a free borough by Richard, King of the Romans, who
granted the burgesses a market on Friday and a fair at the festival of St. Swithin:
this was confirmed by King Henry III. in 1259. The market is still held on
Friday for corn and provisions. There are now four fairs for cattle, Friday after
March 10, May 20, June 17 and 18. The corporation of Camelford consists of a mayor and eight burgesses or aldermen, incorporated by charter,
25 Charles II. This borough has sent two members to parliament ever since the
reign of Edward VI.: the right of election is vested in the corporation and ten freemen: Sir Francis Cottington, afterwards Secretary of State, was one of the representatives of this borough in the last parliament of King James I.: Sir Charles Scarborough, the celebrated physician, was one of its representatives in the reign of
James II. A new town-hall was built a few years ago at the expence of the
Duke of Bedford: the first stone was laid June 26, 1806. There was an ancient
chapel at Camelford, opposite the Bell Inn, dedicated to St. Thomas (fn. 48) . The
tenement of Tregarth, valued at 40l. per annum, was bequeathed, in 1679, by
Sir James Smyth, for the erecting a school-house, and maintenance of a school:
a new school-house is now about to be erected by the corporation.
The neighbourhood of Camelford is supposed by some writers to have been the
site of a memorable battle between King Arthur and his nephew Modred, in
which the latter was killed on the spot, and Arthur received his mortal wound.
Camelford is supposed also to have been the Gafulford of the Saxon Chronicle,
or, as some ancient historians write it, Gavelford, where King Egbert had a battle
with the Britons in the year 823. (fn. 49)
LANTEGLOSS, in the hundred and deanery of West, is separated from the town
of Fowey by the river. The principal villages in the parish are, Bodinneck,
Polruan, and Higher and Lower Trevick.
Leland calls Polruan "a good fischar towne, where is a tower of force marching again the tower on Fowey side. There was ons, as is said, a chaine to go over
the haven from tower to toure (fn. 50) ." Polruan furnished one ship and sixty mariners
to the English fleet before Calais, in the reign of Edward III. (fn. 51) There was
formerly a market at this village on Tuesdays, and a fair at the festival of the
Holy Trinity, granted to Philip Daubeny in 1291. (fn. 52) Bodinneck is described
by Leland as "a poore fishar village, where was the passage or trajectus to
Fowey." (fn. 53)
The manors of Lantegloss, Hall, Tolcarne, and Bodinneck, belonged to the
Mohuns; the three last appear to have been inherited from the Fitz-William family,
whose heiress married Sir Reginald Mohun in the early part of the fourteenth
century (fn. 54) . They are now, in right of his lady, the property of Lord Grenville;
having been purchased by her ancestor, Thomas Pitt, Esq., with the Boconnoc
estate. The manor of Lantegloss is spoken of, in a document of the reign of
Henry III. (fn. 55) , as having belonged to Ralph de Sulloia: about the year 1512 it
was the property of Henry Bromond (fn. 56) . The barton of Hall, which had been
the chief seat of the Mohuns before they removed to Boconnoc, and most probably at an earlier period of the Fitz-William family, was sold by Warwick Lord
Mohun to the Kekewichs. This mansion, which sustained much injury in the
civil war, was taken on the 13th of August, 1644, by Sir Richard Grenville,
and made a garrison for the King (fn. 57) ; what remains of it is now fitted up as a
The manor of Polruan belonged to the Daubeny family as early as the year
1291, and till the year 1420: it appears to have been soon afterwards in that of
Molins, and to have been inherited by the Lords Hungerford. This manor,
together with Usse or Uske, are the property of William Rashleigh, Esq., M. P.
of Menabilly, whose ancestor, John Rashleigh, Esq., possessed them in the reign of
James I. (fn. 58) The manor of Lamellin passed in marriage with the heiress of a family
of that name to the Trelawneys, of whom it was purchased by the Bullers. After
the death of J. F. Buller, Esq., it was alienated on a lease of 999 years to Joseph
Copley, Esq., who, in 1768, sold it to the Rev. Joshua Howell, father of the
Rev. J. F. Howell, canon residentiary of Exeter, who purchased the fee, and is the
present proprietor. Lamellin, which was the seat of the Lamellins, and afterwards of the Trelawneys, is now a farm-house.
The manor of Trethake, in this parish, was divided between Edward Hobson,
Esq. of Chichester, and Jonathan Trelawney, Esq. of Coldrinnick, in 1679. The
whole is now the property of David Howell, Esq., a minor. Trelawney's part,
consisting of the barton of Treneer in Lantegloss, and Penkelly in Pelynt, became
the property of Mr. Howell's father, by exchange with the late Edward Trelawney, Esq. of Coldrinnick, for the manor of Maders, and the barton of SouthPaderda in St. Germans. Hobson's part, consisting of the barton of Trethake
and Trethake-mills, was purchased by the late Mr. Howell of the representatives
of Hobson, in 1802.
The barton of Trevorder is in moieties, one of which has been successively in
the families of Wallis, Fisher, Beale, and Williams, having passed by marriage and
devise, and is now the property of the Rev. Jonathan Williams; the other was
successively in the families of Maydhope, Poe, Chiverton, and Trelawney: it is
now, by exchange for estates in St. Germans, the property of David Howell, Esq.
Lanlawren, some time a seat of the Hawkeys, afterwards successively the property
of the families of Sawle and Fisher, is now (in consequence of two several purchases made by himself and his father) the property of the Rev. J. F. Howell.
The manor of Polvethan, chiefly in Lansalloes, extends into this parish.
In Lantegloss church are some memorials of the Mohun family, particularly
Thomas Mohun, who died in 1400, being grandson of Sir Reginald, who married
the heiress of Fitzwilliam; and John Mohun, Esq., and Ann his wife, who died
within twenty-four hours of each other, in the year 1508, "ex infirmitate
vocatâ Sudee" (the sweating sickness). There is a monument also for Captain
Benjamin Young of the Royal navy, who died in 1649. There were formerly
chapels at Polruan, dedicated to St. Saviour and the Holy Trinity; the ruins of
the former, which was annexed to Lantegloss church, still remain on a hill, which
is called from it St. Saviour's hill. There were chapels also at Lanlawren alias
Pensidon; at Hall; and at Bodinnick, one dedicated to St. John the Baptist. (fn. 59)
The church of Lantegloss, which appears to have been, at an early period,
annexed to the manor of that name (fn. 60) , was given by Robert de Boyton, in the
reign of Edward I., to the hospital of St. James at Bridgewater (fn. 61) . The great tithes
are now vested in Lord Grenville, who is patron of the vicarage. William of
Worcester says, that St. Willow the Hermit and Martyr was beheaded at Lantegloss, near the place where Walter Hart, Bishop of Norwich, who was the son of a
miller at this place, was born. (fn. 62)