ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS.
P. ix. It is very questionable whether there was any palace at Lostwithiel,
erected either by Richard King of the Romans, or his son, Edmund Earl
of Cornwall; indeed, more probable that there was not. See p. 203 of the
P. x. The gaol at Launceston still continues, being situated on the west side
of the castle: it is small, but has been neatly sitted up. Prisoners are sometimes
committed to it from the north and north-east parts of the county; and the
prisoners from Bodmin are removed thither previously to taking their trials at
the spring assizes. Debtors are confined only at Bodmin.
P. xix. Pinnock and Bradock or Broadoak-downs are now separate; there are
some inclosures between them: in the time of the civil wars, it is probable that
they were one open spacious down, called indiscriminately by the name of Pinnock or Bradock. Clarendon describes Ruthen's defeat as having taken place
on the east side of Bradock-down, near Liskeard. Walker says, that King
Charles, marching from Liskeard, encamped his army on the entrance of Pinnock-down, being the same spot where Ruthen was defeated. (fn. 1)
P. xx. l. 5. The Parre is on a creek in Tywardreth-bay.
P. xxii. l. 12. and note. Wadebridge is still corruptly called Warebridge.
P. xxiv. l. 17. Cawland was most probably Cawsand near Plymouth.
P. xxv. The hundred of Draneth is mentioned in a record of the reign of
Richard II. (fn. 2) Binnerton, in the parish of Crowan, described as situated in that
hundred, is now in the hundred of Penwith. In a record of the reign of
Henry VI. (fn. 3) , the church of Ruan-Major is spoken of as being in a district called
Tyrath, which seems to have been synonymous with Meneage.
P. xxvi. note (b.) The jurisdiction of the town of Padstow belongs to the
Archdeacon, and not to the Bishop, as hath been of late years supposed and acted
upon. This appears from a deed of composition (now in the registry of the
Dean and Chapter at Exeter) for settling the jurisdiction of the archdeaconry, as
well as of the whole diocese of Exeter, entered into, on the 20th of March 1616,
by all the dignitaries of the see of Exeter. By this deed the Archdeacon has the
exclusive right of proving wills of all persons dying within his jurisdiction, "excepting knights, beneficed men, and such as are de robâ episcopi," and granting administrations. Padstow in rure is among the places reserved by this deed
to the Bishop's jurisdiction. It is meant (see the last paragraph of note (b.) that
previously to the year 1740, or thereabouts, wills were more universally registered
at Bodmin: it has since been more common for monied persons to have property in the funds, in which case their effects being in two counties, their
wills, as is well known, are registered in Doctors-Commons. It may be
observed, that during the Bishop's triennial visitation (the Archdeacon's powers
being suspended) wills are proved before the Bishop's officers, and registered in
the Consistory Court at Exeter. The Archdeacon's court was removed from
Lostwithiel to Bodmin in 1773; it had been before at St. Neots: the courts are
held at Bodmin every Friday fortnight. The archdeacon's visitations are held at
Launceston, Liskeard, Bodmin, Truro, Helston, and Penzance.
P. xxvii. note (c.) It should have been stated that Wendron, Liskeard, and
Probus, are among the best vicarages: Calstock, and some other rectories not
mentioned, are more valuable than any of the vicarages, except Menheniot, which
is endowed with the great tithes.
P. xxxiv. l.15. The ancient chapel at St. Mawes no longer exists: the present
chapel is private property. See p. 153 and 154 of the Parochial History.
P. xxxv. The existence of nunneries at St. Bennet's, Credis, and Hellnoweth, is very uncertain: there was certainly a monastery of some fort at
St. Bennet's; and Credis belonged to that monastery, either as a cell or grange.
The site of Hellnoweth belonged to St. Michael's Mount.
P. xxxviii. l. 39, 40. Dele "for the convenience of the populous mining
district:" Port Isaac is not in the neighbourhood of the mines.
P. lxii. At the end of the second column add, "or Trethake in St. Cleer."
P. lxvi. The Bloyowes had also a capital mansion at Tregwell (we cannot
ascertain in what parish), which Ralph Bloyowe had a licence for embattling in
the reign of Edward III. (fn. 4)
P. lxxvi. Trefusis has not been inhabited by the present Lord Clinton since
his accession to the title: it is now occupied by G. C. Fox, Esq. See also
P. lxxxviii. The lion rampant was certainly the coat of Waunford of Efford,
whose heiress brought Efford, through the Durants, to the Arundells. Efford
did not belong to the Thurliberes.
P. lxxxix. xc. The name of Trelawney is spelt with an e in the Baronetages: the spelling of Trelawny, as in p. 257, 258, was adopted when we found
that it was now so written by the family. — Upon the death of Charles Trelawny, Esq., of Coldrinnick, (the last heir-male of that branch,) in 1764, the name
was taken by Henry St. George Darell, Esq., son of William Darell, his mother's
younger brother, who, dying without issue, the name of Trelawny was taken, and
the estate of Coldrinnick inherited, by Daniel Crabbe, Esq., son of John Crabbe,
of Plymouth, by Frances, second daughter of Henry Darell, Esq., of Trewornan,
elder brother of the mother of Charles Trelawny above-mentioned. This Daniel
Trelawny of Coldrinnick, dying also without issue (in 1795), the name was taken
and the estate inherited by Edward Stephens, Esq., a Captain in the Royal Artillery,
son of Edward Stephens, of Plymouth, and grandson of the Rev. Edward Stephens,
vicar of St. Kew, by Anne, third daughter of Henry Darell, Esq., of Trewornan
before-mentioned: the son of the said Edward Trelawny (now a minor) inherits
Coldrinnick; but it will be seen by the foregoing statement, that he is not representative in blood of the Coldrinnick branch of the Trelawnys, which appears to
be wholly extinct. It appears that he, and not his uncle (the Rev. Darell Stephens,
who inherits Trewornan by will), is the representative of the Darells of Trewornan.
See p. cii. and 239.
P. xciii. Sir John Morshead is dead, and was succeeded in the title by his
son, now Sir Frederick Treise Morshead, Bart.
P. xciv. The eldest sister of Philip Hawkins (the last representative of the
Pennans family), married Carlyon of Tregrehan. Thomas Hawkins (father of
Sir Christopher, whose father had married one of the other sisters,) inherited
Trewithan under the will of Philip Hawkins above-mentioned.
P. c. John Borlase is dead, and succeeded by his son Samuel, a minor.
P. ci. Arthur Burell, Esq. is not known to be the representative of the ancient
family of that name: he possesses the estate by virtue of a devise made by the last
male heir to a namesake, not known to be related. Burell, therefore, should
have been among the extinct families, p. cxxv.
P. cii. Darell should be among families extinct in the male line, p. cxxxi.
See the last page.
P. ciii. l. 21 and 26. Bokarne is now spelt Boscarne.
P. civ. The Rev. Edward Giddy died in the month of March 1814, and was
succeeded by his son, Davies Giddy, Esq., M.P. See also p. clxxvii. Francis
Glanville, Esq. of Catchfrench, should have been mentioned as the present representative of the Glanville family. Thomas Grylls, Esq., died in December 1813.
See also p. 19, 63, and 76 of the Parochial History.
P. cv. The present representative of the Hals family spells his name Halse.
P. cv. l. 30., and cxxi. l. 29, read "William Arundell Harris, Esq., of Lifton
P. cvii. The Rev. John Hoblyn, of Padstow, died in May, 1813: his son,
the Rev. Richard Hoblyn, is now representative of the Trewhela branch.
P. cxvii. Trevardreva is now in the occupation of Charles Scott, Esq.,
Mr. Trewren's son-in-law.
P. cxviii. Captain Woolridge has removed to Bosvigo-house, in the parish of
P. cxix. l. penult. Bealinge or Billing.
P. cxx. The animal borne by Sir John Arundell in his coat armour, between
the swallows, was a wolf, the bearing of Trembleigh, whose heiress, his ancestor,
married. See a cut of this coat of Arundell, p. lxxix.
P. cxxi. l. 5, read "A younger branch of the Arundells of Trerice." Arwenick
is so spelt in most pedigrees; but in the Killigrew deeds it is written Arwenack.
P. cxxii. There seems to be an error in the heraldic accounts, which state
that Beare married a coheiress of Serjeaux: no such match appears in the record
of the inquisition, taken after the death of Sir Richard Serjeaux. See p. cl.
P. cxxvii. Champernowne is the spelling now used by the present branches of
the ancient family treated of in these pages: this spelling has been adopted in the
latter part of this volume.
P. cxxxiv. The Rev. R. G. Grylls is representative of the Glynns of Wendron,
through his mother, who was sister of Thomas Glynn, Esq., the last male heir.
P. cxxxix. Add Keverell to the heiresses married by Langdon. See p. cxxxviii.
P. cxliii. Nansperian must have married the heiress of Tregender, and Tregender the heiress of Gurlyn. See p. clxvii. and p. 93 of the Parochial History.
P. cxlvii. Sir William Gordon Cuming Gordon, Bart., is representative of
the Praeds in the female line, through the Penroses. The Pypers of Tresmarrow
bore for their arms—a chevron between three shovelers.
P. cxlix. The Rev. William Sandys purchased Cant of the heir-male of this
family, resident in Ireland.
P. clxxv—clxxviii. Gentlemen's Seats. — Mr. Grylls and Mr. Wymond are
dead; Bosahan and St. Cadix are now the seats of their widows: John Borlase,
Esq., is also dead, and has left a son, who is a minor. Commodore Penrose is
now a Rear-Admiral: Harwood has been sold to W. L. Salusbury Trelawny, Esq.
Mrs. J. C. Wollacombe, of Langford-hill, is dead: it is now the seat of Thomas
Hole, Esq. The Rev. William Robinson has left Nansloe. Pennare is now the
seat of Captain Barrington Reynolds, of the Royal Navy. John Lemon, Esq., is
dead: Polvellan is now the property of John Buller, Esq., of Morval. John
James, Esq., of Rosemundy, has been some time dead. Mr. Charles Peter was
drowned in the Padstow river, March 30, 1814. Captain Todd has left Cornwall; and Trenarth is now occupied as a farm-house. Mrs. Arminel Inch is
dead; Treworgy is occupied by her surviving sister, Mrs. Ann Hodge. — Add to
the seats, Bosvigo in Kenwyn, now occupied by Captain James Woolridge of the
Royal Navy; Burncoose in Gwennap, by Michael Williams, Esq.; Perran-wharf,
Mr. — Fox; and Trevince in Gwennap, occupied by John Williams, Jun. Esq.
P. clxxxi. The moors extend from near Blisland church on the west, to near
Northill church on the east, about 10 miles; and from near Davidstow church
on the north, to near St. Neot church on the south, about 12 miles, running into
the four hundreds of Lesnewth, East, West, and Trigg, and including, besides
the whole of Temple, the greater part of 12 parishes, viz. Davidstow, St. Cleather,
Alternon, Northill, Linkinhorne, St. Cleer, St. Neot, Warleggan, Cardinham,
Blisland, St. Breward alias Simonward, and Advent. These moors abound with
picturesque hills, and tors composed of immense masses of granite (fn. 5) : they are
much resorted to for hare-hunting in the spring, the ground being dry, and the
hares remarkably strong: the small rivers on the moors abound with the black
trout. The moors are very capable of agricultural improvement.
P. clxxxii. The sea has considerably encroached on the coast in the hundreds
of Stratton and Lesnewth, within the last 50 years, particularly near Budeharbour, where the sand-hills are rapidly lessening, being carried off by the
waves. (fn. 6)
P. cxc. An act was passed in the year 1774, for making a navigable canal
from Bude-harbour to the river Tamar, in the parish of Calstock; but no part of
it has as yet been made. The Tamar manure navigation, which skirts the county,
was to have been brought on as far as Horse-bridge, in Stoke-Climsland. In the
year 1773, an act of parliament was passed for making a canal from MawganPorth through the several parishes of Mawgan, St. Columb Major, Little-Colan,
and St. Columb-Minor, to Lower St. Columb Porth. This canal was begun,
but the work was abandoned after the death of Mr. Edyvean, the projector and
undertaker, and what had been dug has for the most part been filled up and
P. cxciii. Passing from Camelford to Bodmin, the churches of Advent, &c. are
on the left; those of Michaelstow and St. Teath on the right.
P. cc. Woodcocks abound in the vallies of Cornwall, particularly in the
parish of Whitstone. See p. 326 of the Parochial History.
P. ccix. The lease of copper to Mr. Williams and others, is to take place after
the expiration of a term granted to Sir William Lemon, Bart. The manors of
Calstock, Restormell, Penlyne, and Penkneth, are not included in the lease, nor
that of Tywarnhaile, of which Mr. Carpenter of Moditonham has a separate lease.
Edward Smith, Esq., who is one of the lessees with Mr. Williams, &c. has oneeighth of the copper dues of Tywarnhaile, as appears by an advertisement from
that gentleman, in the Cornwall Gazette, May 7, 1814.
— The right of raising silver in the mine of Wheal Duchy, in the manor
of Calstock, was granted to John Williams, Esq., R. William Fox, Esq., and
others, for 31 years, in 1810; other silver lodes having been discovered by
Mr. Williams, in the manor of Calstock, in the following year. A lease of the
right of searching for silver, in the whole of the manor of Calstock, was granted
by His Royal Highness the Prince Regent, as Duke of Cornwall, for the same
term, in the month of August 1811, to Messrs. Williams and Fox, in conjunction
with Benjamin Tucker, Esq., Surveyor-General of the Duchy. Wheal Duchy
mine promises considerable profit to the adventurers, although the silver as
yet raised (about 5000l. worth) has not covered the expences attendant on the
undertaking in its early stages. (fn. 7)
P. ccxiii. Manufactures. — There are gunpowder-mills now in Cosawes
wood, near Penryn, built by Mr. Gill of Penryn, about 1810, which make about
2000 barrels annually; and others lately erected in the parish of Stithians, which
make from 800 to 1000 barrels. The annual consumption of gunpowder in
Cornwall (chiefly for mining) is calculated at 4000 barrels. Since the establishment of Mr. Gill's mills, the price of gunpowder, which was before wholly imported from London, has been reduced from 6l. 10s. to 5l. per hundred. There
is an iron-foundery at Perran cove, in the parish of Milor; near Kennall wood, in
the parish of Stithians, a paper-mill belonging to Mr. Tucker, and another at
Ponsneuth, in the same parish, belonging to Mr. Rowe: there is a paper-mill
also in the parish of Liskeard. A sail-cloth manufactory was established at
Gluvias, upon a large scale, about 1807, by Mr. Eliot, but has been discontinued. At Perran-mill is an arsenic manufactory (fn. 8) ; and at Penryn, manufactories of mustard and snuff. (fn. 9)
P. ccxiv. The effigy of a crusader, in stone, has lately been discovered, by
the removal of a pannel, in a pew of Botus-Fleming church.
In the foregoing parochial account we had some difficulty, with respect to the
orthography of the names of villages, &c., as we have frequently found persons,
whose authorities we might suppose equally good, spelling the same names
differently. We have generally, wherever there has been a doubt, adopted
Martyn's spelling wholly, or given it with an alias. With respect to manors and
bartons, we have found many estates of the latter description, which, in all ancient
records, are described as manors, but have long ceased to be deemed such; their
manerial rights, most probably, having been alienated, or lost by long disuse. With
respect to the true definition of a barton, a term in general use in the two western
counties of Cornwall and Devon, the best informed persons differ in their opinion;
some suppose it to be strictly confined to the demesne lands, and mansionhouse of a manor; others that it is the principal farm or grange of a manor
with a house, but not the manor-house; whilst others again give it a greater
latitude, and suppose it to extend to all large farms, with houses and homesteads;
all smaller farms being called tenements. According to the first sense, every real
barton, if not now esteemed a manor, must formerly have been possessed of
manerial rights. It has been our plan and intention, for the obvious reason of
compressing our work into a moderate compass, to treat only of manors and
bartons, with the exception of such smaller tenements as have been the residence
of Gentlemen's families; in some instances, the mention of estates, not so circumstanced, has probably, without our designing it, been introduced. In the folgoing appendix, besides giving such additional information as we have obtained
since the work has been printed off, we have endeavoured to correct such errors
as have arisen either from inadvertency or misinformation, and to note such changes
as have taken place, during the length of time which has elapsed since we began
our collections, and which the nature of the work and other circumstances have
rendered unavoidable. In this we have been indebted for much assistance to
Mr. John Wallis, Jun. of Bodmin, whose kind services have been already acknowledged; to Mr. John Edwards of Truro, Mr. George John of Penzance,
Mr. G. B. Kingdon of Stratton, Mr. E. Coode, Jun. of St. Austell, Mr. John
Borlase of Helston, and other professional gentlemen.
—P. 9. l. ult. and penult. dele Mr. Thomas has one half, &c. —
This applies to the manor of Venton-gimps in Perranzabuloe, which belonged
also to the Tonkins. — P. 11, John James, Esq. is dead.
—P. 12. Laner is not a manor, but parcel of the manor of Cargol.
See p. 247.
—P. 14. The manor of Tredawl has been purchased by J. Sawle
Graves, Esq. Mr. Archer's manor of Trelawny had not passed with Gunnon
and Tregarlick, but was purchased of the Wadges in 1758, and had before been
successively in the families of Trehawke, Oliver, and Truscott.
— P. 15. This parish is spelt, in various ancient records, Antone;
and by Mr. Carew, the present possessor of the estate, and others, Antony. In
ecclesiastical records, it is written Anthony. — P. 16. Thancks is occupied by the
Dowager Lady Graves.
ST. AUSTELL, p. 20, Add Trevarrick to the villages. P. 21, Trenans-Austell
has not of late years been esteemed a manor: the estate is now wholly vested
in Mr. Tremayne, except one field which is in undivided moieties between him
and Mr. Graves. — P. 22, Another manor of Tregorrick, which had belonged to
the Arundells, was lately purchased of Lord Arundell, by Edward Coode, Esq. —
P. 24, Menacuddle, in a deed of the reign of James I., is called, but improperly, a
parish: more ancient deeds describe it as a free chapel. Hensburrow is partly
in this parish. See p. 278.
— P. 25. General Morshead purchased Lavethan of his brother
Sir John. — P. 26. A meeting-house has been lately built in the church-town
for the methodists.
— P. 28. Since this part of the volume was printed, Napoleon
Bonaparte having been driven from his usurped throne, it may be presumed that
the Pitt diamond is again in the possession of its lawful owner.
— P. 30. Mrs. Gilbert was, at the time of her marriage with Mr.
Gilbert, the widow of the Rev.— Vivian. — P. 31. The gate-house, also of the
convent of grey-friers is remaining. — P. 33. Before the passing of the act in
1778, the county bridewell, (a building near the church, now used as a brewery,)
and the sheriffs' ward, were at Bodmin: County meetings, except such
as are mentioned under Lostwithiel, are held at Bodmin: the general agricultural meeting is held there on the Tuesday before Whitsunday. A large
work-house was built in 1756, on some of the Friery lands now belonging
to the corporation, at the expence of Sir William Irby, bart., afterwards Lord
Boston, then one of the representatives of the borough. —P. 34. The prior's
name is spelt Vyvyan on the tomb. The advowson of the vicarage had been for
many years, and was, till the year 1782, in the Prideaux family. — P. 35. The site
of St. Nicholas' chapel, now belonging to Mr. Roger Dawe, is at the head of
St. Nicholas-street. — P. 36. The grammar-school is held in the old chapel
adjoining to the church: the master's salary is now made up 100l. per annum.
There is a school for reading, writing, and arithmetic, at the work-house; the
master of which has a salary of 10l. per annum from the corporation. The Wesleyan methodists have a Sunday school for about 200 children. The ruins of the
chapel (fn. 10) of St. Lawrence's hospital are now used as a stable: nearly facing this is
an old building belonging to the hospital, said to have been erected for the purpose of a market-house: an inscription on the front commemorates Richard
Carter of St. Columb, merchant, as having given 10l. to the hospital, which was
expended in the making of this building in 1586. The hospital of St. Anthony
stood in chapel-lane: the buildings have been pulled down within memory: the
site now belongs to Mr. Bray by purchase from the corporation, under the landtax redemption act.
— P. 42. The manor of Treworlis is the property of Charles Trelawny, Esq.
— P. 43. To the villages in this parish, add Hay, Penhale, Tredrusson, and Trelil. For Great Burlorne, read Burlorne-Eglos.
— P. 47. The manor of Penrose-Burden is partly in St. Tudy, in
which parish, Hengar, its manor-house, is situated. See p. 314. The description
of "large extent comprising the whole of Roughtor and the adjoining moors"
should be applied to the manor of Hametethy, and it would be more correct to
say, a considerable part of the adjoining moors. Lank, in this parish, has long
been the property and residence of a branch of the Billing family, by whose
descendant, (a farmer,) it is now possessed. John Wallis, Esq. is lessee of the great
tithes under the church of Exeter.
— P. 48. To the villages, add Alsa, Selena, and Tregurno. —
P. 50. The present possessor of Pendrea is the Rev. Uriah Tonkin Moore. — P. 51.
Boskenna and Boskennal both belong to John Paynter, Esq. Triclodevas, an
old seat of the Grosse family, belongs now to the devisees of the late John
— P. 53. & 54. Harwood-house, situated on a very beautiful spot
upon the banks of the Tamar, was built by Mr. Foote. The scenery at Newbridge, in this parish, is also singularly beautiful. Harwood has lately been purchased of Walter Roberts, Esq., by William Lewis Salusbury Trelawny, Esq.,
who now resides there. Sandhill, in the parish of Calstock, built by the Rev.
John Russell, has lately been purchased by Thomas Wallis, Esq.; it is at present
unoccupied: Hengeston-hill is in this parish.
—Mr. Stackhouse's manor, spoken of in this page, is Treslothan or
Trelothan. In the early part of the 17th century, it was in moieties between
the families of Prideaux and Arundell; one moiety was purchased by Alexander
Thomas, alias Pendarves, of Jonathan Prideaux, Esq., in 1619; the other was
acquired by marriage about ten years afterwards: there are the remains of a
chapel upon this estate. — P. 54. Higher-Rosewarne is the seat of William
—P. 57. The four sisters of Lord Dinham married Sir John
Carew, John Lord Zouch of Harringworth, Sir Thomas Arundell, and Sir Fulke
Fitz-warren. The Carews appear to have sold their share of the Cardinham
estate to the Comptons, (ancestors of the Marquis of Northampton) from whom
it passed to the Arundells in 1573. Edward Lord Zouch sold his share of this
estate in 1577 for 500l. to William Billing of Cardinham, who, the next year,
conveyed it to Sir John Arundell. On the death of the last Bourchier, Earl of
Bath, (heir of the Fitz-warrens), a fourth of this estate was divided between his
daughters Lady Dorothy Grey, and Anne, Countess of Middlesex. The Earl of
Stamford, son of the former, sold his share of this fourth in 1686, to James Grove,
Esq., afterwards serjeant-at-law; the latter, in 1707, conveyed it to Sir Richard
Billing, who had married the heiress of Arundell. Sir Bourchier Wrey, Bart.,
who inherited the other moiety of the Bourchier property, sold his share of the
Cardinham estate, with the exception of certain lands, to Dennis Glynn, Esq.,
whose descendant, E. J. Glynn, Esq., is now possessed of the whole of the
manor of Cardinham, except the lands above-mentioned.
— P. 59. Mrs. Arminel Inch is dead: the estates at St. Cleer
and elsewhere (see p. 20.), are now vested in her surviving sister, Mrs. Anne
— P. 63. and Cury, p. 76. Read the late Thomas Grylls,
Esq. — P. 64. The manor of Bosuen is now, under Lady Arundell's will, the
property of Lady Clifford. — P. 65. Sir John Arundell, who died in 1379, and
was buried at St. Columb, was a distinguished military commander; and being
then one of the admirals of the fleet, was shipwrecked on the coast of Ireland, as
he was sailing with an army for the relief of the Duke of Britanny. "The said
Sir John Arundell, says Holinshed, "lost not only his life, but all his furniture and
apparell for hys body, which was very sumptuous, so that it was thought to surmount the apparell of any King; for he had two and fiftie new sutes of apparell of
cloth of golde or tiffew, as was reported, all the which, together with his horses
and geldings, amounting to the valew of ten thousand marks, was lost in the
fee. (fn. 11) " P. 65. The advowson has been sold to the Rev. George Moore of
— P. 66. The manor of Treloy was not alienated (although
the barton and sundry parcels of it were sold), but it is now, under the will of the
late Lady Arundell, the property of Lady Clifford.
— P. 69. The benefice is a curacy in the gift of the parishioners:
it was originally a chapel of ease, but made parochial in the year 1532 (fn. 12) .
— P. 70. Nancor has been purchased of Mr. Peters, by the Rev.
George Moore. The barton of Pengelly is the property of Mr. John Edie.
— P. 74. In the year 1622, a pamphlet in small quarto was published,
entitled, "Somewhat written by occasion of three Sunnes seene at Tregnie in
Cornwall, the 22 of December last." — P. 76. Thomas Hartley, Esq. has lately
purchased Bochym. The great tithes are now vested in the representatives of the
late Thomas Grylls, Esq.
— P. 79. The right of fishery over the whole of the river Looe, appertains to the manor of Treworgye.
—P. 81, 82. The fee of Treworder is in Mr. Tremayne. Park
and Pencarrow are not now esteemed manors. There is a small manor called
Overleigh in this parish, belonging to Sir A. O. Molesworth, Bart. — P. 83. The
revenues of Wadebridge are under the management of the lords of the manors
of Pendavy and Pawton, the rector of St. Breock, and the vicar of Egloshayle.
—P. 85. Sir John Cheny was Speaker of the House of Commons,
1 and 6 Hen. IV. (fn. 13) The manor of Lower Trefreock (fn. 14) or Trefreke, and the barton
of Trevathan in Endellion, and St. Kew, now the property of Henry Peter, Esq.
of Harlyn, were acquired by marriage with the Harper family in the year 1715.
—P. 90. It is the advowson of the prebend of Heredum Marney that
is in the patronage of the Hon. Mrs. Agar: the advowson of Trehaverock has
long been in the Gray family, and now belongs to Mr. Richardson Gray.—P. 90.
Tregasow is not now esteemed a manor. No part of the manor of Trevenen
extends into this parish.
—P. 93. Gear, occupied by Mr. Tippet, belonged to the late Rev.
Edward Giddy, and was bequeathed by him to his daughter Mrs. Guillemart.
Tredrea is now in the possession of Davies Giddy, Esq., M.P. The Dean and
Chapter of Exeter are patrons of the vicarage.
—P. 95. The manor of Lanherne extends into this parish. Mr. John
Dayman has purchased Kankewas parcel of this manor, with the manerial rights
—P. 96. Edward Coode, Esq. has purchased the manors of Lansladron, Tregenna, and Tregennow: certain estates, parcels of the manor, had been
sold in severalties.—Polsew, though so described by Tonkin, is neither manor
nor barton.—P. 97. There are several tenements, parcel of what was formerly the
manor of Tregian, belonging to Lord Mount-Edgcumbe and others: Mr. Gaved's
is not a barton.
—P. 105. R. A. Daniell, Esq. has purchased Lord Clinton's moiety
of the manor of Trevella, or as some write it Trevilla.—P. 106. William Jackman
was vicar of Feock in the reign of James I.
—P. 106. The manor of Tolverne, consisting merely of some reserved
high rents, has been conveyed by Sir Christopher Hawkins to Lord Falmouth, in
exchange for the manor of Grampound.—P. 107. Cregmurrion, the seat of
John Penhallow Peters, Esq. is in this parish.
—P. 109, 110. Mr. Rashleigh's is called the borough manor, Mr.
Austen's the burgage manor.—P. 111. The manor or royalty of the manor of
Penfentinow, in this parish, belongs to Lord Grenville: it was formerly in the
Mohuns. The greater part of the demesne lands, including the manor-pound, &c.
belong to J. T. Austen, Esq. The Rev. John Pomeroy is dead: his heirs are his
sister Mrs. Peter, and his nephew Joseph Hamley, Esq.
—P. 112. Sir John Morshead is dead: the manor of St. Gennys is
now the property of his son Sir Frederick Treise Morshead, Bart.
— The site of the priory at St. Germans, with other estates,
was granted on lease to John Champernowne, 31 Hen. VIII., at the rent of
6l. 15s. 11d. The following year the same lands were granted in fee to Katherine,
widow of the said John, Ridgway and Smith, in consideration of the sum of 434l.
—P. 122. The greater part of Porthmellin is in the parish of
Mevagissey. The Trevascus estate is called in some deeds, "the manor of Trevascus and Gorran," but does not appear to possess any manerial rights.—P. 123.
Lord Clinton's moiety of Treninick is now the property of Edward Gwatkin, Esq.
A great part of the manor of Carhayes is in this parish. The manor of Tregennow is wholly in St. Ewe. — P. 124. Deadman point is in this parish.
—P. 126. Trevayler has been long in the family of Veale, and is
now the property and residence of the Rev. William Veale, who has considerable
property in the parish. George John, Esq. has much improved the scenery of
this parish by large plantations on Rosmorran-Cairne (fn. 15) , and another of his estates
called Trye in this parish.
—P. 127. The manor of Tresithney, in this parish, which had been
long in the Arundell family, is now by bequest of the Dowager Lady Arundell,
vested in her daughter, Lady Clifford: the manor of Cusgarne, in this parish, is
in severalties. Trevince is now occupied by Michael Williams, Esq. Burncoose is
the seat of John Williams, Jun., Esq.
—P. 127. Camborne is the post-town of Gwinnear. Add to the
villages Carwin-sawsin, called in Martyn's map, Cossawsin: the barton mentioned
in p. 128, is of the same name. The manor of Roseworthy was of the fee of
Gloucester. The heiress of Courtenay gave it to John de Vere, her son, by her
second husband, whose descendant, the Earl of Oxford, sold it to Sir John Arundell
about the year 1578: it was purchased of Lord Arundell by William Harris, Esq.
The Willyams family were only lessees of the barton.
—P. 129. The advowson of Gwithian belongs to the Rev. William
Hockin by purchase from Lord Arundell.
—P. 134. Tregember or Tregembo is now the property of Miss
Borlase, daughter of the Rev. William Borlase, and her cousin Miss Borlase,
daughter of the late John Borlase, M. D. The mothers of these ladies were sisters
and coheiresses of Charles Penneck, Esq. of Tregembo, which is now occupied by
the Rev. Humphrey Willyams.
—P. 143. The manor of Penhallam, which extends into the parishes
of Poundstock, Week-St. Mary, and Boyton, has been recently sold in several
lots. The manor of Ebbingford or Efford extends into this parish.
—P. 149. Add to the villages Polmanter. — P. 150. Trenwith is the
property of Mr. William Lander, and other representatives of the Trenwiths. —
P. 151. The great tithes consist of corn, wool, and lamb.
—P. 152. The manor of Trewannett in St. Juliott, Tintagell, and
other parishes, belonged to the Robartes family, and having been bequeathed by
the last Earl of Radnor of that family, to Sir James Laroche, Bart., was sold in
1793 to Charles Rashleigh, Esq.: it is now the property of Mr. Edward Pearce
of Camelford, by whom it was purchased of Mr. Rashleigh. An estate called
Trewannett, in St. Juliott, probably the site of this manor, belongs to Francis
Rawle, Esq.: the manor pound belongs to William Rawle, Esq. The barton of
Trelill is the property of Mr. Richard Rawle of Redruth. Small-hill is in the
parish of Otterham. Francis Rawle, Esq. is joint impropriator of St. Juliott: it
appears by a terrier of the year 1727, that Richard Rawle, Gent., then held the
whole impropriation; one half as lessee under the Molesworths, and the other half
for the remainder of a lease of 999 years, granted to his family by the Eliots.
This parish has been augmented by Queen Anne's bounty. The sum of 400l.
was laid out in the purchase of the tenement of Cancer in Otterham, and part of
the tenement of Penpoll in Lesnewth.
St. Just in Penwith.
—P. 155. The proprietors of Bosvargus are, Nicholas
Harris Nicholas, Esq., and Mrs. Ann Nicholas, widow. Pendeen and the great
tithes are now the property of Samuel Borlase, a minor, son of the late John Borlase, Esq. On the Botallack estate is a celebrated tin and copper mine, extending
to a considerable distance under the sea.
— P. 156. The manor of Landegy is now written Landegay: Martyn
spells it Landegea. The manor of Blanchland extends over the whole parish,
except what is comprised in that of Landegay. Killiow is at present unoccupied.
The new church was built about 1803, from a plan of the late James Wyatt, Esq.
The tower of the old church was purchased by the late Lord Falmouth, and kept
up as an object from Tregothnan grounds.
— P. 157. We were misinformed as to a third of Allet having been
for any length of time the property of Sir William Lemon, Bart.: it belonged to
his uncle, the late Colonel Willyams of Carnanton; and was divided among his
devisees. The manerial rights of this share now belong to Sir William Lemon.
The estates described by our correspondent as Boswylick and Chyncoose, are, we
understand, the same which are called by Martyn, Bosvisack and Steancoose, and
now written Busvisack and Stencoose alias St. Coose: the latter is only a farm of
about 40 or 50 acres. Bosvigo-house is now the residence of Captain Woolridge
of the Royal Navy. Tregavethan, though surrounded by Kenwyn, has been
chiefly connected with the parish of Kea, in the church of which it had an aisle.
There is now a recess in Kenwyn church appropriated to it. For Roseeth read
—P. 159. Lord De Dunstanville's manor of Roskymer-Meneage
is in this parish, not in Mawgan. See p. 218.
—P. 161. Wadebridge is the post-office-town. P. 162. The manor of
Tregwide or Tregoyde in this parish, which belonged to the ancient family of
Treffry, is now in severalties.
— P. 163. In this parish are the villages of Stibb and Thurdon.
— P. 167. The manor of Trethurfe, as well as the barton, belongs to
the Earl of Cork and William Stephen Poyntz, Esq.
— P. 170. The site of Rosswick or Rosewick is in St. Keverne,
where there is a village of the name, by Martyn, spelt Rosvick, which is still connected with this manor. The Lizard light-houses are in this parish.
— P. 170. Sir Robert Jeffery, Knt., by his will, bearing date 1703,
gave the sum of 520l. for the purchase of lands or houses, the rent of which is
directed to be appropriated in the first place to the purpose of providing two shillings
worth of bread weekly, for the poor of Landrake and St. Erney; the remainder
to be paid to the school-master of Landrake, or some other person, to teach the
children of the poor inhabitants of the said parish reading and writing, and to
instruct them in the church catechism. The surplus now paid to the school-master
is about 40l. per annum. There is an alms-house at Landrake; but the endowment, if any, has been lost; and we could not ascertain the name of the founder.
The stone which recorded it has been lately removed.
— P. 171. The manor of Tellbridge, there called Telbrig, is mentioned in the Domesday survey: it was then held by Reginald de Valletort, under
the Earl of Cornwall.
— P. 175. The manor of Lanivet belongs to Samuel Kekewich, Esq.
and William Stephen Poyntz, Esq.
— P. 179. The impropriation was purchased of John Pollexsen
Bastard, Esq., about the year 1794.
— P. 179. The barton of Court is in severalties between —
Andrew, Miss Henrietta Wymond, and Richard Foster, Esq.
— P. 181. The Raphel or Raphiel estate has been sold in lots: the
barton was purchased by Mr. George Coath; the harbour of Polperro, the quay,
&c. by Mr. Zephaniah Job.
— P. 183. Higher and Lower Trevick are very
small villages; the former is commonly called High-way. In note (q.) dele
"probably brothers." See p. lxvi. and lxvii. of the General History. P. 183 and
185. The chapel at Hall is still remaining.
— P. 185. The fee of the barton of Launcells is in the Rev. F. H.
Morrison. Mrs. Mary Harris is now the wife of Henry White, Esq. of Ide priory,
—P. 191. Launceston is now a perpetual curacy, having been
augmented by Queen Anne's bounty. P. 192. John Horwell, of the city of
Dublin, by his will bearing date 1717, gave all the monies he left behind him for
the purpose of maintaining, clothing, and educating six poor boys of the parish in
which he was born; three of the boys to be elected by his nearest of kin, and three
by the feoffees of the parish: he allows 30l. per annum for the maintenance of the
boys; 6l. per annum for their clothes, which was to be uniform; 3l. per annum to
a school-master; and 5l. per annum to a poor widow, to look after them; the boys
to be admitted at seven years of age, and apprenticed at fourteen. About the year
1748, the sum of 1,900l. was received of Brewen Worthington, Esq., Mr. Horwell's
executor, by Sir William Morice, Bart., then one of the feoffees of the parish, for
the purposes of this charity, concerning which a Chancery suit had been then some
time pending. This money had not been accounted for in 1756, when the opinion
of the late Mr. Justice Gould was taken on the subject.
— P. 194. The barton of Raughtra or Raftra (the name of which, as
well as that of the village, is erroneously printed Raughton or Rafton), and that of
Bosistow, belong to the farmers by whom they are occupied.
— P. 195. Timbrelham is the property of Arthur Kelly, Esq. There
are no documents to prove the connection of this estate with the bailiwick of the
hundred of East.
— P. 202. Mr. Harris reserved the great tithes of the borough. The
tenement of Lanseather, now let at 50l. per annum, is vested in the church-wardens
for the repairs of the church. The site of Mr. Johnson's chapel is to lapse to the
vicar, in case divine service should not be performed in it by dissenters. The corporation now allow 100l. per annum to the master of the grammar-school. A
school for 100 boys has lately been opened, on Dr. Bell's plan; but it is not yet
full; and another for 50 girls, on the plan of Miss Howell.
— P. 203, 204. A small part of the borough of Lostwithiel
extends into St. Winnow, and a much larger part into Lanhvery parish. The
Fowey river is navigable to this town for barges. The elections of knights of the
shire and coroners are held at Lostwithiel; but the previous meetings for the nomination of the candidates, at Bodmin. The archdeacon's court was held at Lostwithiel
from 1753 to 1773. Earl Mount-Edgcumbe is lessee of the manor. The vicarage has been augmented by Queen Anne's bounty.
— P. 209. The manors of Alwarton and Tywarnhaile, then late
parcel of the possessions of Edmund Beaufort, were granted to Richard Duke of
Gloucester, 9 Edw. IV. The barton of Alwarton now belongs to three ladies of
the name of Wroughton. Landithy is held on lease by Mr. Bolitho, under William
Praed, Esq. Rose Price, Esq. has recently purchased Trengwainton for his own
residence. P. 210. Castle-Horneck is now occupied by Mr. John Boase; Poltair,
by the Rev. Uriah Tonkin Moore. Nancealvern, in this parish, is the seat of
John Scobell, Esq. The right to the advowson of Maddern is disputed by the
heir of John Borlase, Esq. P. 211. A new pier was constructed about the year
1766; it was lengthened in 1782, and extended 150 feet in 1812 and 1813;
being now more than 600 feet in length. A packet sails from Penzance, weekly,
to the Scilly islands.
— P. 212. South-down, and the King's Brewhouse, in this parish, are
in the county of Cornwall.
— 212. The passage over the Hel leads to Falmouth. The manor
of Kestell and Cruplight, in this parish, belongs to Sir William Lemon, Bart.
— P. 215. Part of the village of Hessenford is in this parish.
— P. 218. Roskymer-Meneage is in St. Keverne.
— P. 232. The old mansion at Nancarrow is standing,
and inhabited by some of Lord Falmouth's labourers.
— P. 236. Trefusis is now inhabited by G. C. Fox, Esq.
— P. 237. The barton of Worthyvale was given by William Farnham, Esq., to his nephew, the Rev. John Farnham, by whom it was given to the
lady of Peter Hill, Esq., of Carwithenack.—P. 238. The patronage of the united
rectory of Forrabury and Minster is alternate in the heirs of the late Sir Jonathan
Phillipps and the committee of Miss Amy: the next presentation is vested in the
— P. 238. The manor of Padstow-Penkevill extends into this parish.
P. 239. The Rev. Darell Stephens, who inherits Trewornan, was younger brother
of the late Edward Trelawny, representative of the Trelawnys and Darells.
— P. 240. The great tithes of this parish belong to W. J. G.
— P. 242. The manor of Wringworthy, in this parish, belongs to
Sir Joseph Copley, Bart.
— P. 244. One moiety of the manor of Pradannack-Wollas belongs
to Vyel Vyvyan, Esq.; the other is subdivided. Edward Coode, Esq., is now
impropriator of the great tithes, by purchase from Stephen Usticke, Esq., nephew
and heir of Sir Michael Nowell, to whom they had been sold under the provisions
of the land-tax redemption act.
— P. 247. The manor of Newlyn is Lady Clifford's, by bequest of
her mother, the late Dowager Lady Arundell.
— P. 252. Add Treator to the principal villages. The ancient name
of Place-house was Gwarthandrea: it was afterwards called Prideaux-Castle.
Treniow, another seat of the Prideaux family, has been pulled down. P. 255.
Mr. Charles Peter was drowned in the Padstow river, March 30, 1814. The
barton of Girles belongs to Richard Vyvyan, Esq. The seat of Thomas Rawling Esq., is called Saunders-hill. There was formerly a considerable village at
— P. 256. A moiety of the great tithes now belongs to the Rev. William Veale.
— P. 258. The present chapel at Trelawny was built in 1701.
— P. 265. Treviban is a considerable estate belonging to
the Rev. Charles Prideaux Brune.
— P. 267. There is another scattered village, called Connon.
— P. 268. The barton of Hollabury is, or was lately, the property
of the Rev. Charles Dayman. Burshill, the property and residence of John Bryant,
is said to have belonged to his ancestors, of the same christian and surname, for
— P. 269. Tregoll is the only large village: there are several
smaller, as Coppet-thorn, Penhalt, Treskinnick-cross, Trewint, &c. P. 270. The
manor of Penhallam extends into this parish. The Rev. Charles Dayman has
reserved a life-interest in Trebarfoot.
— P. 277. John Williams, Esq. of Scorrier, now possesses that part
of Trefula which belonged to Mrs. Ursula Haweis.
— P. 279. Sir William Lemon's manor of Ardevora extends
over part of this parish. The barton of Trelonk is held on lease, by Mr. John
Brown, under Sir William Lemon, Bart.
— P. 281. Penquite is in some deeds called a manor: Mr. Sleman
has also lately purchased Little-Torfrey.
— P. 281. We were misinformed as to several particulars relating
to this parish. The manor of Tregonnebris is wholly in Mr. Buller: the other
persons mentioned are only tenants. Bosvennen is the property of the Honourable
Mrs. Agar (formerly Miss Hunt). John Borlase, Esq. is dead, and succeeded by
his son, a minor.
— P. 282. The portion of Treveare which belonged to the late Rev.
Edward Giddy, is now the property of his son, Davies Giddy, Esq. M.P.
— P. 284. There are two Prospidnecks or Prospinnecks, Higher and
Lower. There was an intermediate proprietor of Truthall, between the Arundells
and Judge Buller, of the name of Richards. An act of parliament was passed
in 1811, for constructing a harbour at Portleven. P. 285. Three-fourths of the
manor of Penventon belong to the Duke of Leeds; one-fourth to Miss Ormsby.
The whole of one mioety of Gwavas belongs to William Carlyon, Esq., he
having purchased one half of it of the devisees of Mrs. Elizabeth Veale.
—P. 286. The manor of Manaton was some time ago held jointly by
Peter Hill, Esq., who had three-eighths, and — Wortley, Esq., who held the
remainder as mortgagee under the Manatons: Mr. Hill's part, which includes the
barton, was purchased, in 1813, by Mr. John Kinsman.
— P. 286. The fee of Resugga is in Lord Grenville.
St. Stephens near Saltash.
— P. 290. There was a chapel at Earth. The
present possessor of Burell, is Arthur Burell, Esq.; he is not known to be descended
from the ancient family of that place. (fn. 16)
—P. 300. Colonel Lemon had a long lease of Pollvethan or rather
Polvellan, under the corporation of Looe.
— P. 316. An inquisition of the reign of Edward IV. describes
Lancrowe and Penpillek, in this parish, as manors then belonging to the Coplestones: there are now no such manors. Lancrowe is a tenement belonging to
the Rev. Nicholas Kendall: there are several tenements at Penpillek, belonging
to the Rev. H. H. Tremayne, the Rev. Nicholas Kendall, and others.
— P. 319. The manor of Trethake, in this parish, was formerly in a
family of that name, afterwards in the Bodrugans: having been forfeited by the
attainder of Sir Henry Bodrugan, it was given by King Henry VII. to Sir Richard
Edgcumbe, and now belongs to his descendant, Lord Mount-Edgcumbe.