ADLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Prestbury, union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 5 miles (N. by W.)
from Macclesfield; containing 1159 inhabitants. Adlington Hall, a very ancient and curious structure with
a garden of cut yew hedges, which has long been the
residence of the family of Legh, was garrisoned for
Charles I. in the civil war, and taken by the parliamentarian forces on the 14th of Feb. 1645, after a fortnight's siege: in the south-east angle is a small domestic
chapel, handsomely fitted up, licensed by the Bishop of
Lichfield and Coventry in the 25th of Henry VI. The
township comprises 4019 acres; the soil is clayey, and
there are some valuable mines of coal, and quarries of
flagstone. A manorial court is held in May and December, at which debts under 40s. are recoverable.
ADLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Standish, union of Chorley, hundred of Leyland, N.
division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles (N.) from
Wigan; containing 1130 inhabitants. The Adlington
family held lands here in the reign of Edward II., and
for many subsequent generations: the Aughtons, also,
resided here for several centuries; and, latterly, the
knightly family of Clayton were lords of the manor.
The village is about midway between the Preston and
Wigan and the Preston and Bolton railways; and the
road from Wigan to Chorley, and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, also afford means of communication. The
townships of Adlington, Anderton, Duxbury, and
Heath-Charnock, in the parish, form a district chapelry;
and a church, a neat structure in the Norman style,
has been erected by Her Majesty's Commissioners, containing 629 sittings, of which 331 are free: the living
is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150, in the
gift of the Rector. The tithes have been commuted for
Admarsh, Lancaster.—See Bleasdale.
ADMARSH, Lancaster.—See Bleasdale.
ADMASTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Blithfield, union of Uttoxeter, hundred of South Pirehill, N. division of Staffordshire, 7½ miles (S. S. W.)
from Uttoxeter; containing 59 inhabitants. It lies
about a quarter of a mile east of the church; and contains a few houses, and the free school, founded by the
Bagot family in 1729.
ADMINGTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Quinton,
union of Shipston, Upper division of the hundred of
Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester,
6¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Chipping-Campden; containing 197 inhabitants.
Admiston, or Athelhampton
ADMISTON, or Athelhampton, a parish, in the
union of Dorchester, hundred of Piddletown, Dorchester division of Dorset, 6 miles (E. N. E.) from
Dorchester; containing 74 inhabitants. This place is
said to have been the principal residence of the Saxon
kings of Wessex, but there is no satisfactory evidence
of the truth of that opinion. The living is a rectory,
with that of Burleston annexed, valued in the king's
books at £2; net income, £200; patron, the Earl of
Mornington. The church is a small edifice, repaired by
Sir Robert Long in 1740, before which it contained an
apartment supposed to have been anciently inhabited by
a rector or custos.
Adstock (St. Cecilia)
ADSTOCK (St. Cecilia), a parish, in the union,
hundred, and county of Buckingham, 3 miles (N. W.)
from Winslow, on the road to the town of Buckingham; containing 419 inhabitants. This parish consists
of 1128 acres of cultivated arable and pasture land,
inclosed under an act of parliament passed in 1797,
when an allotment was awarded to the incumbent in
lieu of tithes. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £13. 16. 3.; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln; net income £235, arising from 300 acres of land.
In the time of the plague, in 1665, the contagion having
extended to Buckingham and Winslow, a market was
held at this place.
ADSTONE, a chapelry, in the parish of CanonsAshby, union of Towcester, hundred of GreensNorton, S. division of the county of Northampton,
6¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Towcester; containing 196
inhabitants. Mention occurs of the monks of CanonsAshby as owners of land here, in the reign of Henry
III.: in the time of Edward II. the king granted them
the liberty of free warren in all their demesne lands in
Adstone, and from this period the monastery seems to
have held the manor until the Dissolution. The chapelry
comprises by computation 1400 acres of land, about
equally divided in arable and pasture; it is partially undulated, and watered by a stream which falls into the
river Tow. Good sandstone is quarried for building.
The living is a donative; patrons, the Corporation of
the Sons of the Clergy, who have estates here, and who,
with Worcester College, have given a small endowment
to secure permanent duty. The chapel, dedicated to All
Saints, is remarkable for the simplicity and dignity of
its architecture, and is supposed to have been dependent
on Canons-Ashby, at which place the inhabitants still
continue to bury. In 1813 the corporation repaired the
chapel, and in 1843-4 restored the dilapidated parts of
the building, adding a chancel.
Advent, or St. Adven
ADVENT, or St. Adven, a parish, in the union of
Camelford, hundred of Lesnewth, E. division of
Cornwall, 1¾ mile (S.) from Camelford; containing
291 inhabitants. It comprises 4222 acres, of which
2400 are common or waste; the surface is hilly, and the
soil slaty, and interspersed with large granite stones:
the river Camel flows on the northern boundary. The
living is a rectory, not in charge, annexed to that of
Lanteglos cum Camelford.
Adwell (St. Mary)
ADWELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Thame, hundred of Lewknor, county of Oxford, 1¾
mile (S. by E.) from Tetsworth; containing 46 inhabitants. It comprises about 500 acres of land, bounded
on the north-east by the road between Oxford and High
Wycombe. The living is a discharged rectory, valued
in the king's books at £4. 13. 9., and in the patronage
of Mrs. F. Webb: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £111, and £9 are payable to the Dean and
Canons of Windsor; there are about 15 acres of glebe.
Here is an ancient intrenchment called Adwell Cop, supposed by Dr. Plot to have been constructed by the Danes,
about the year 1010.
Adwick-Le-Street (St. Lawrence)
ADWICK-LE-STREET (St. Lawrence), a parish,
in the union of Doncaster, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of
York; containing 554 inhabitants, of whom 120 are in
the township of Hampole, and 434 in that of Adwick-leStreet, 4 miles (N. W. by N.) from Doncaster. This
place, which is said to derive the adjunct to its name
from its situation on a Roman road, is intersected by the
great northern road, and contains 1543a. 3r. 22p.; 595
acres are grass, 924 arable, and 24 wood and plantation.
The village is pleasantly situated on a declivity, and
watered by a stream that flows eastward to the Don.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£4. 13. 4.; net income, £364; patron, John Fullerton,
Esq.: the glebe consists of 8 acres. The church is a
neat structure, with a nave, chancel, north aisle, and
tower, and has several ancient altar tombs, richly carved,
erected in memory of the Fitzwilliam, Washington, and
other families. A spring of pure water, in the parish, is
in some repute for healing weak eyes.
ADWICK-upon-Dearne, a parish, in the union
of Doncaster, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 7 miles
(W. by S.) from Doncaster; containing 108 inhabitants.
The parish comprises 1105a. 1r. 22p., of which 704
acres are arable, 385 meadow and pasture, 8 acres homesteads and orchards, and 6 canal; the surface is varied,
and the surrounding scenery richly diversified. The
village is beautifully situated on the southern acclivity
of the picturesque vale of Dearne, and near it run the
Midland railway and the Dearne and Dove canal. The
living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of
Wath-upon-Dearne. There was a church at an early
period, which in the former part of the reign of Henry I.
was given to the monastery of St. Oswald of Nostell,
then newly founded: this edifice, which is the present
parochial church, retains its primitive simplicity, and is
the purest specimen remaining in the deanery of Doncaster of the original village churches; it has a nave and
chancel, with a little shed in which two bells are hung.
A powerful chalybeate spring was discovered on the
glebe land in 1820.
Aff Piddle or Puddle
AFF PIDDLE or PUDDLE, a parish, in the union
of Wareham and Purbeck, hundred of Hundred's
Barrow, Wareham division of Dorset, 9 miles (E. by
N.) from Dorchester; containing, with Bryant's-Puddle
tything, and the hamlet of Pallington, 507 inhabitants.
The parish comprises 3541 acres, whereof 1130 are common or waste. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £8. 14. 9.; patron and
impropriator, J. Frampton, Esq. The great tithes have
been commuted for £354, and the vicarial for £46. 10.;
the glebe consists of 1½ acre. The pulpit in the church
bears date 1540, and is beautifully ornamented with
AGDEN, a township, in the parish of Malpas,
union of Wrexham, Higher division of the hundred
of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester,
2¾ miles (S. E.) from Malpas; containing 97 inhabitants.
It comprises 508 acres of land, the soil of which is clay.
The tithes have been commuted for £63.
AGDEN, a township, partly in the parish of Rosthern, but chiefly in that of Bowdon, union of Altringham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the
county of Chester, 5½ miles (N. N. W.) from Nether
Knutsford; containing 95 inhabitants. The manor was
held by a family of the same name: a moiety of it passed
by female heirs to the families of Daniel and Venables;
the other moiety, by purchase, to the Savages, who sold
it to the family of Venables in 1619. William Venables
married the heiress of the Daniels; and in 1727 the
heiress of George Venables was married to Sir T. P.
Chetwode, Bart., in whose family the property continues.
The township comprises 500 acres; the soil is chiefly
loam. The Duke of Bridgewater's canal passes through.
The tithes of that part in the parish of Bowdon have
been commuted for £16. 13., payable to the Bishop of
Chester, and £16 to the vicar.
Agelthorpe, or Agglethorpe
AGELTHORPE, or Agglethorpe, a township, in
the parish of Coverham, union of Leyburn, wapentake of Hang-West, N. riding of York, 3¼ miles
(W. S. W.) from Middleham; containing 195 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1090 acres, and
includes within its limits the places called Ashgill, Tupgill, Brackengill, Giles Alley, Scotescue Park, Bird Ridding, and Coverham. The Cover river, which has its
source near the great Whernside mountain, here passes
on the south, and flows north-eastward to the Ure.
The monks of Coverham had land here, valued at
£1. 6. 8. per annum; and the village, which is situated
on the northern acclivity of the romantic Coverdale, is
remarkable for its ancient Hall, now a farmhouse, which
once belonged to the Topham family, and afterwards to
AGLIONBY, a township, in the parish of Warwick,
union of Carlisle, Cumberland ward, E. division of
Cumberland, 3¾ miles (E.) from Carlisle; containing
AGNES (ST.), a market-town and parish, in the
union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Pyder,
and of Cornwall, 8½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Truro,
and 263 (W.) from London; containing 7757 inhabitants.
This place, formerly called Breanic, or Bryanic, is situated in an extensive mining district, on the northern
coast of the county, and is hilly and barren, the town
consisting principally of cottages inhabited by miners.
The rocks on this part of the coast are precipitous, and
the character of the scenery for the greater part boldly
picturesque. On a pyramidical rocky eminence, 664 feet
above the level of the sea, is St. Agnes' beacon, formed
out of an ancient cairn or tumulus, and which, during the
late war with France, was kept constantly in readiness
to communicate intelligence in the event of any invasion:
it has since that time been greatly diminished by the
removal of the stone for repairing the fences in the
neighbourhood. At the base of the hill are vestiges of a
strong vallum, supposed to have been constructed by the
Romans, and which anciently extended for nearly two
miles in a circular direction. The district was formerly
worked only for tin, of which the principal mine, called
"Seale Hole," after having produced an immense quantity of ore, was discontinued some years since. Coppermines were subsequently opened, and have been worked
with very great success. The port, which is a member
of that of St. Ives, carries on a trade principally with
Ireland and Wales, in the exportation of copper-ore and
fire-clay, and the importation of coal, iron, machinery,
limestone, and grain. After many fruitless attempts, a
pier of moorstone, here called "Trevannance," was constructed by a company in 1794; and the harbour has
been improved within the last few years: it affords safe
anchorage to about eight or ten vessels of one hundred
tons' burthen, but can only be entered at high water. A
pilchard fishery was established in 1802, which gives
employment to about forty men. The market is on
Thursday; a fair takes place on the 30th of April, and
courts for the duchy are held here in October, at which
constables and other officers are appointed.
The parish comprises 8294 acres, of which 3633 are
common or waste. The living is a vicarage not in charge,
united to that of Perranzabuloe: the vicarial tithes have
been commuted for £265, and the appropriate, belonging
to the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, for £250. The church
is an ancient structure, built chiefly of granite, with a
small spire of the same material. A church district named
Mount Hawke was formed in 1846, by the Ecclesiastical
Commission, out of the parishes of St. Agnes and Illogan; and another, named Mithian, was formed out of
St. Agnes' and three other parishes: the living of each
is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop alternately.
There are places of worship for Bryanites, Independents,
and Wesleyans. The free school, founded by the Rev.
St. John Elliott in 1760, has a small endowment, arising
from funds bequeathed by him for charitable uses; and
another school is endowed with £5 per annum. Near
the site of an ancient chapel, in a dingle called Chapelcomb, was the famous well of St. Agnes, of which many
miraculous stories are recorded. Opie, the celebrated
painter, was born in the parish in 1761; he died in the
Aigburth, or Aigburgh
AIGBURTH, or Aigburgh, a district chapelry, in
the township of Garston, parish of Childwall, union
and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles (S. E.) from Liverpool; containing 1031
inhabitants. In the reigns of Elizabeth and James the
family of Brettargh possessed this place; in that of
Charles I. it was held by the Tarletons. It afterwards
passed to various hands, among others to the Tarletons
again, and more recently, by purchase, to the family of
Alderman Porter, of Liverpool. Aigburth is a wealthy
and fashionable district extending along the banks of the
Mersey, and studded with the noble mansions and splendid villas of the Liverpool bankers and merchants, the
salubrity of the air and the delightful scenery inviting
their residence here. The land is beautifully undulated,
and there are fine views of the river, the Welsh mountains,
the county of Chester, and the ocean. The living is a
perpetual curacy, in the patronage of certain Trustees;
net income, £200. The chapel, dedicated to St. Anne,
was erected in 1837, at a cost of £4000, and is a good
edifice in the Norman style, with a highly decorated
interior; the east window is of stained glass, representing Christ healing the Leper: the tower is 65 feet high,
with a richly ornamented battlement. A Roman Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. Augustine, was built in
1837, at an expense of £1800; it is in the early English
style, with a neat interior, and adjoining are a school,
and a house for the priest, the Rev. Samuel Day. A
school for boys and girls in connexion with the Established Church, is supported by subscription. There is
a curious mausoleum erected by the well-known Dr.
Solomon, who had a residence in the chapelry.