Auckland, St. Andrew - Authorpe

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

112-116

Citation Show another format:

'Auckland, St. Andrew - Authorpe', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 112-116. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50770 Date accessed: 28 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Auckland, St. Andrew

AUCKLAND, ST. ANDREW, a parish, in the union of Auckland, partly in the S. E., but chiefly in the N. W., division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham. In the S. E. division are the townships of Byers-Green, Coundon-Grange, Eldon, Middlestone, Midridge, Midridge-Grange, Old-Park, Westerton, and Windleston; while the N. W. division includes the market-town of Bishop-Auckland, the chapelries of St. Helen Auckland and Hamsterley, and the townships of St. Andrew, West Auckland, North and South Bedburn, Barony, Binchester, Coundon, Evenwood, Hunwick with Helmington, Lynesack with Softley, Newfield, Newton-Cap, Pollard's Lands, Shildon, and East Thickley; the whole containing 19,100 inhabitants, of whom 1367 are in the township of St. Andrew, 1 mile (S.) from Bishop-Auckland. This extensive parish comprises by computation 11,195 acres, and contains six considerable villages; it abounds with coal and limestone, and its surface is highly varied. The Stockton and Darlington railroad passes through it; and in 1837 an act was obtained for constructing the Bishop-Auckland and Weardale railway, which branches from the Stockton and Darlington at Shildon, and passes within a quarter of a mile of Bishop-Auckland, which see.

The living is a perpetual curacy, with the chapelry of St. Anne; net income, about £550, nearly half of which arises from a bequest by Bishop Barrington; patron, the Bishop of Durham; impropriators, the Landowners of the parish. The tithes attached to the living have been commuted for £46. 10.; and there is a glebe valued at £117 per annum. The church, a spacious cruciform structure, was made collegiate for the secular canons ejected by Bishop Carileph from his cathedral of Durham, in 1082; and in 1292 was endowed by Bishop Beck for a dean and nine prebendaries: three or four additional prebends were founded by Bishop Langley, in 1428. At the Dissolution, the deanery was valued at £100. 7. 2., and the prebends at £79. 16. 8.: the dean's house and some of the prebendal houses have been converted into residences for farmers. There are distinct incumbencies at Byers-Green, Coundon, Escomb, Etherley, Hamsterley, St. Helen's, and Shildon; also places of worship for Independents, Ranters, the Society of Friends, and others. The union comprises 33 parishes and places, and contains a population of 21,979.

Auckland, St. Helen

AUCKLAND, ST. HELEN, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Andrew, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing in the township of St. Helen (which constitutes only a small portion of the chapelry) 720 inhabitants. At the St. Helen's colliery, numerous ovens are employed in the manufacture of coke for the use of the engines on the Stockton and Darlington railway. Large quantities of coal are sent from the mines in the neighbourhood to be shipped at Stockton and Middlesborough on the Tees. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £13. 9. 4., and in the gift of the Bishop of Durham; net income, £120. The impropriate tithes, belonging to the landowners, have been commuted for £119. 1. 6., and those of the perpetual curate for £6. 7.; there is a glebe of 23 acres.

Auckland, West

AUCKLAND, WEST, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 2310 inhabitants. This place is situated at the junction of the high road from Durham to Barnard-Castle with that from Darlington to Wolsingham; the river Gaunless winds in a devious course through the township. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a free school, founded by Mrs. Margaret Hubback in 1798, is endowed with about £30 per annum, and conducted on the national plan. The place gives the title of Baron to the family of Eden, who formerly resided here: the estates now belong to Sir R. J. Eden, Bart.

Audenshaw

AUDENSHAW, a division, in the parish and union of Ashton-under-Lyne, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Manchester; comprising the villages of Audenshaw, Hooleyhill, Littlemoss, North-street, Walkmill, Waterhouses, and Woodhouses; and containing 5374 inhabitants. The name of this place, in ancient documents written Aldwinshagh, is said to be derived from the Saxon Aldwin, an elder or chieftain, and Shagh, a wood. It is supposed to have belonged prior to the Conquest to some Saxon thane, whose residence was on or near the site of the present village, which exhibits appearances of earlier cultivation than the surrounding district, the latter consisting mostly of woods and morasses. A small hamlet in the division derives its name of Danehead from its situation at the head of an extensive valley called "the Danes," probably from some battle which took place there between that people and the Saxons; it is traversed by a stream which falls into the river Mersey.

The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the various branches of the hat manufacture, in silk and cotton weaving and spinning, and calico-printing. The Ashton and Oldham canals, and the Manchester and Sheffield railway, pass through the division; and a large reservoir has been constructed here for supplying the town of Manchester with water. The village of Audenshaw is large and populous, and is situated a mile and a half west of Ashton, on the road to Manchester; that of Hooleyhill, also populous, had its origin in the establishment of a hat manufactory about 1790. Waterhouses is formed of a group of rustic cottages, in a deep woody vale; and to the south of it is Littlemoss, also a small rural district: the village of North-street is a mile west of Ashton; and Woodhouses, a pleasant hamlet, two and a half miles north-west of that town. Audenshaw Lodge, an agreeable seat, was for many generations in the possession of the Stanfields: there are several other ancient and some handsome and neat mansions in the division. A church district was formed in 1844, and endowed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; and a church dedicated to St. Stephen, the first stone of which was laid in May 1845, has been erected in the early English style, with a tower, partly by means of a grant from the Church Commissioners: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Chester alternately; net income, £150. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and for Methodists of the New Connexion. A parochial school was founded about the year 1745, and endowed by Miles Hilton with two estates in the parish of Manchester, producing £40 per annum; the schoolroom, with a large house for the master, was erected at an expense of nearly £1000, defrayed partly by subscription, and partly by the appropriation of the income arising from the endowment.

Audleby

AUDLEBY, a hamlet, in the parish and union of Caistor, S. division of the wapentake of Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln; containing 28 inhabitants. The hamlet comprises an area of 895 acres of fertile land.

Audlem (St. James)

AUDLEM (St. James), a parish, in the union and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of the county of Chester; comprising the townships of Audlem, Buerton, Hankelow, and Tittenley, part of Dodcot cum Wilkesley, and part of Newhall; and containing about 3000 inhabitants, of whom 1621 are in the township of Audlem, 6½ miles (S.) from Nantwich. The Tralebews, ancestors of the family of Aldelym or Audlem, are said to have possessed the manor from the Conquest; it subsequently passed by marriage and purchase, in moieties or parts, to various owners. The township of Audlem comprises 2346 acres, the soil of which is clay and sand, The road from Nantwich to Shrewsbury, and the Chester and Birmingham canal, pass through the parish. A grant was obtained in the 24th of Edward I., of a weekly market, and a fair on the eve, day, and morrow of St. James the Apostle, both which, after long disuse, were revived a few years since: the market is on Thursday. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 16. 8., and in the patronage of Viscount Combermere: the tithes for Audlem township have been commuted for £247 and £81. 10., payable respectively to the impropriator and the vicar. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. A free grammar school was endowed about the middle of the seventeenth century, by Mr. Ralph Bolton, with £20 per annum, and a similar sum arising from a bequest by Mr. Thomas Gammull, both of London; £40 were also given for its benefit by the Rev. William Evans. There is likewise a preparatory English school for younger boys and for girls, endowed with a modus of the tithe of hay, and a house and half an acre of land.

Audley (St. James)

AUDLEY (St. James), a parish, in the union of Newcastle-under-Lyme, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill, and of the county of Stafford, 5 miles (N. W.) from Newcastle, on the road to Nantwich; containing 4474 inhabitants, and consisting of the townships of Audley, Bignall-End, Eardley-End, Halmer-End, Knowl-End, Park-End, and Talk-o'-th'-Hill. This place was originally given by Hervey de Stafford to the barons of Aldeleigh, or Audley, who erected the baronial residence of Heyley Castle, commanding an extensive range of the surrounding country. The parish, which comprises about 11,000 acres, and is almost entirely appropriated to dairy-farming, abounds with excellent ironstone and coal, the latter of which is sent in large quantities by the Trent and Mersey canal to Cheshire, and to other parts. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; patron, the Rev. Edward Gilbert: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £430, and the impropriate, belonging to George Tollet, Esq., for £664. The church is in the early style of English architecture, with a decorated chancel, and an embattled tower crowned with pinnacles. At Talk-o'-th'-Hill is another church; and there are numerous places of worship for dissenters in the parish. The free grammar school, founded in 1622 by Edward Vernon, has an endowment in land producing £125. 18. per annum. Near the village are vestiges of an intrenchment; and on the western boundary of the parish are situated, on a lofty rock, the remains of the ancient and strong castle of Heyley, the ascent to which, on the south side, is more than 100 yards in height. About a mile from the church is a pellucid spring of water, always flowing. Audley gives the title of Baron to the family of Touchet.

Aughton

AUGHTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Halton, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 7 miles (N. E.) from Lancaster; containing 134 inhabitants. The lord of Halton exercises the manorial rights of Aughton. The Oliverian survey, made in June, 1650, recommends that Aughton should be added to Gressingham, owing to its distance from the parish church; but Robert Burton, in 1697, obviated this inconvenience by erecting and endowing a chapel and school here; and Mr. Lawson subsequently enlarged the endowment by the bequest of Lower Highfield. The chapelry is beautifully situated on the banks of the river Lune, which bounds it on the north; the scenery is mountainous, and the views extensive. There is stone for building purposes. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £110, with a house; patron, the Rector of Halton. The chapel, dedicated to St. George, is situated on a hill.

Aughton (St. Michael)

AUGHTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Ormskirk, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles (S. W.) from Ormskirk, on the road to Liverpool; containing 1560 inhabitants. "Achetun" was held before the Conquest by Uctred, the Saxon proprietor of Dalton and Skelmersdale; the manor, or parts of it, subsequently came to the families of Acton or Aughton, Bradshagh, and Scarisbrick, and more recently to the families of Hesketh, Molyneux, and Plumbe, which last assumed in 1824, in addition to their own, the arms and name of Tempest. The parish comprises 3943a. 14p. of titheable land, whereof 1534 acres are arable, 900 meadow, 1492 pasture, 9 wood, and 8 glebe: Aughton Moss, which contains several hundred acres, not titheable, was inclosed in 1814. From the elevated situation of the parish, principally upon an extended eminence declining from Ormskirk to the south of Aughton church, it commands an extensive view of the country around. The Sudell, a tributary of the Alt, has its source here, dividing Aughton and Lydiate, and joining the Alt below the latter; a rivulet named Meer brook, also, separates the parish from the town of Ormskirk. The Liverpool, Ormskirk, and Preston railway passes through. The estate of Moor Hall, the property of John Rosson, Esq., was in the possession of the Stanleys, of Hooton, at a very remote period: in 1566, Peter Stanley, a younger branch of that family, rebuilt the hall in its present form, as stated in an inscription in old English raised letters over the porch. Aughton Old Hall, the ancient residence of the Aughtons, is now a farmhouse: New Hall, built in the 17th century, became the property of the Plumbe family. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 15. 5.; net income, £800, with a house: patron, John Plumbe Tempest, Esq. A portion of the tithes was commuted under the inclosure act for 35 acres of land, which, with the glebe, are of the annual value of £105. The church is an ancient structure, with a steeple in the centre. The Roman Catholic chapel here, built in 1767, and enlarged in 1823, is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, and has a small endowment. There were formerly distinct traces of an intrenchment on Aughton Common, raised during the time of the Commonwealth; but the inclosure and the plough have combined to obliterate this vestige of intestine war.

Aughton (All Souls)

AUGHTON (All Souls), a parish, partly in the union of Howden, and partly in that of Pocklington, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York; containing, with the chapelry of East Cottingwith and the township of Laytham, 634 inhabitants, of whom 217 are in the township of Aughton, 8½ miles (N. N. W.) from Howden. The parish is situated on the left bank of the navigable river Derwent, and presents a tolerably level surface. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4; net income, £90, with a glebe-house erected in 1839 by the Rev. John Earle, incumbent; patron, James Fletcher, Esq. The church, the chancel of which was rebuilt in 1839, has a low embattled tower, built by Christopher, son of the unfortunate Robert Aske who was beheaded at York in the reign of Henry VIII., 1537, as a principal in the insurrection called the "Pilgrimage of Grace," occasioned by the suppression of the monasteries. On the chancel floor is a fine brass slab, on which are graven the effigies of Richard Aske and his lady, who died in the fifteenth century. Near the east bank of the river Derwent the moats and trenches of an ancient castle are still visible; and in the vicinity of the church is a large mound of earth, the site of the castellated mansion of the Aske family.

Aughton

AUGHTON, a township, in the parish of Aston, union of Rotherham, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 8 miles (E.) from Sheffield; containing 108 inhabitants. This place, called in Domesday book Actone, Hactone, and Hacstone, was formerly the residence of the family of West, of whom was Sir William West, a soldier in the army of Henry VIII., and who had, in reward for his services, beneficial grants of abbey lands: the family resided here till the latter end of the reign of Elizabeth. The township is situated on the Rotherham and Mansfield road, and separated from the county of Derby by the river Rother; the surface is varied: coal is found, and there is a mine at present in operation. The Midland railway passes through the township. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.

Aukborough (St. John the Baptist)

AUKBOROUGH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Glandford-Brigg, N. division of the wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 10½ miles (W.) from Barton-upon Humber; containing, with the hamlet of Walcot, 528 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of Whitton united, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £209; patrons, the Bishop of Lincoln, and the family of Constable. The vicarial tithes of Aukborough have been commuted for £12, and the incumbent has a glebe of 53 acres. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a free school endowed with £16. 13. per annum. The place is thought by Dr. Stukeley to have been the Arquis of the geographer of Ravennas.

Aukley

AUKLEY, a township, in the parish of Finningley, union of Doncaster, partly in the Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, and partly in the soke of Doncaster, W. riding of the county of York, 5¼ miles (N.) from Bawtry; containing 418 inhabitants. This township comprises about 2391 acres, of which 827 are in the Nottinghamshire portion. In 1838, a chapel of ease was erected at a cost of £700, containing 250 sittings; and there is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Ault-Hucknall

AULT-HUCKNALL, a parish, in the union of Mansfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 5½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Mansfield; containing, with the hamlets of Rowthorne and Stainsby, 678 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 4285 acres, the soil of which is two-thirds sandstone, and one-third magnesian limestone; and forms a fine agricultural district. The manor of Hardwicke lies on the south side of the parish, and on the border of Nottinghamshire, from which it is separated by the river Meden or Mayden. It was granted by King John, in 1203, to Andrew de Beauchamp: the Hardwickes possessed it for six generations; and Elizabeth, daughter of John Hardwicke, Esq., brought it to Sir William Cavendish, from whom it descended to its now noble possessor, the Duke of Devonshire.

The present Hall of Hardwicke was built by the Countess of Shrewsbury in the reign of Elizabeth; its situation is exceedingly picturesque and beautiful, standing in a fine park containing 621 acres of land, embellished with venerable oaks of most gigantic size. It is of stone, with a parapet of open work at the top, and at each extremity a lofty tower. The state apartments are very magnificent; several of the rooms are hung with tapestry of exquisite workmanship, particularly the audience hall, where is represented the story of Ulysses. The gallery is about 170 feet long and 26 wide, extending the whole length of the eastern side of the house, and hung with tapestry, on a part of which is the date 1478: it is probable that this, as well as many articles of the furniture, celebrated for its antique character, was removed from the old Hall, or from Chatsworth when that splendid mansion was being rebuilt. Among other excellent pictures, are portraits of Elizabeth, Lady Jane Grey, Sir Thomas More, Cardinal Pole, Bishop Gardiner, the first earl of Devonshire, and Thomas Hobbes. The ancient Hall, standing near the mansion, appears to have been a very fine structure, and, from its style of architecture, could not have been built any great length of time before the present edifice. The living of the parish is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 0. 5.; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Devonshire. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £105, and there are more than 27 acres of glebe; the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £34. At Hardwicke is a school, towards the support of which Thomas Whitehead, in 1729, bequeathed a house and land producing £23. 15. per annum; it is also endowed with property in the parish of Edensor.

Aulton, county of Derby.—See Allton.

AULTON, county of Derby.—See Allton.

Aunsby (St. Thomas à Becket)

AUNSBY (St. Thomas à Becket), a parish, in the union of Sleaford, wapentake of Ashwardhurn, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (N. W. by W.) from Falkingham; containing 117 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Lincoln to London, and comprises 1089 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 0. 7½., and in the patronage of J. A. Houblon, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £249, and there are about 11 acres of glebe, and a glebe-house. The church, which is in the early English style, is a small edifice, having in the windows some remains of beautifully stained glass: the font also has some remarkable ornaments.

Aust

AUST, a chapelry, in the parish of Henbury, union of Thornbury, Upper division of the hundred of Henbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 4¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Thornbury; containing 191 inhabitants. This place derived its name, anciently Austre Clive, signifying "the southern cliffs," from its situation on the south bank of the Severn, among bold and lofty cliffs projecting into the river, which is here two miles in breadth. About half a mile below the village, which is surrounded by salt marshes, and immediately opposite to the estuary formed by the junction of the Severn and the Wye, is the ferry called the Old Passage, supposed to have been the Vectis of the Romans. Alabaster is procured in great quantities; and those rare minerals, the sulphate and carbonate of strontian, are found in the cliffs which line the banks of the Severn. The chapel is in the ancient English style. The place is distinguished as having been the residence of Wycliffe.

Austell, St. (The Holy Trinity)

AUSTELL, ST. (The Holy Trinity), a markettown, parish, and the head of a union, in the E. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 34 miles (S. W.) from Launceston, and 252 (W. S. W.) from London; containing 10,320 inhabitants. This place was in the reign of Henry VIII. an obscure village, and first rose into importance from its vicinity to Polgooth and other considerable mines. In the civil war, part of the army under the Earl of Essex was quartered here; and the town was taken by Charles I. a short time prior to the capitulation of the parliamentarians near Lostwithiel, in 1644. In 1760 the great road from Plymouth to the Land's End was brought through the place, which is now a considerable thoroughfare. The town is pleasantly situated in a well-cultivated district, on the south side of a hill sloping gradually to a small stream; the streets are paved, and lighted with gas, and the inhabitants are well supplied with water. The trade principally consists of the produce of the numerous mines of tin and copper, and in china-stone and clay of a very superior quality, which are found here in great abundance; the manufacture of coarse woollen cloth is also carried on to a small extent. The mines in the vicinity are exceedingly productive, and, from the improved manner of working them, promise continued prosperity to the town, the population of which has been trebled within the last twenty years. The parish comprises 8678 acres, of which 3121 are common or waste: freestone of excellent quality abounds; and near the harbour of Pentewan is a very extensive quarry, from which have been raised materials for the erection of many churches and mansions in the county. Several harbours have been formed in different parts. Many vessels are engaged in the importation of coal from Wales, for the use of the mines, and in the exportation of copper-ore for smelting, and of chinastone and clay to the different potteries and for the use of linen-bleachers. The principal part of the grain tin produced in Cornwall is obtained here, and blowinghouses for melting it have been erected near the town. A considerable pilchard fishery is also carried on, in which many boats, fitted out from the different harbours, are employed. The market, which is considerable for corn and provisions, is on Friday; and there are fairs on the Thursday next after Palm-Sunday, the Thursday after Whit-Sunday, the nearest Friday to July 23rd, and on Nov. 30th. In 1842 an act was obtained for providing a new market-place, and regulating the fairs. The town is within the jurisdiction of the county magistrates, by whom constables and other officers are appointed; and the Blackmore, the most considerable of the stannary courts, is held here. The powers of the county debt-court of St. Austell, established in 1847, extend over the whole of the registration-district of St. Austell.

The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £21, and in the patronage of the Crown; impropriators, Miss Rashleigh, and J. B. Tremayne, Esq. The tithes produce £537. 16., and the glebe comprises about an acre, with a large garden. The church combines various styles of English architecture, and has a very handsome tower richly ornamented with sculpture. Two church districts, named respectively Charlestown and Treverbyn, were endowed in 1846 by the Ecclesiastical Commission: each of the livings is in the alternate gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Exeter. There are places of worship for Baptists, Bryanites, Calvinists, the Society of Friends, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, Warrenites, and Plymouth Brethren. The poor law union of St. Austell comprises fifteen parishes and places, and contains a population of 31, 417. At Menacuddle and Towan, in the parish, are baptismal wells, over which are ancient buildings in the early English style, covered with arched roofs of granite. In one of the celebrated tin stream-works of Pentewan, the bones of men, of oxen of enormous size, of a whale, and of animals now unknown, have been found.

Austerfield

AUSTERFIELD, a chapelry, in the parish of Blythe, union of Doncaster, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 1¼ mile (N. N. E.) from Bawtry; containing 314 inhabitants. This place is in Domesday book called Oustrefield, and derives its name probably from some old form of the cardinal point of the compass, east; though the name is said by some to be derived from the Roman general Ostorius, who was defeated here by the Britons. It was formerly the property, in succession, of the families of Busli, Vipont, De Spenser, and Neville, from whom it passed to the crown; and has since descended, with Bawtry, to the present owner. The township comprises 2710 acres, including the hamlet of Brancroft and Finningley Park. The small tithes of the common were commuted for land in 1765.

Austerson

AUSTERSON, a township, in the parish of Acton, union and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of the county of Chester; containing 55 inhabitants. It comprises 699 acres, of a clayey soil. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £20. 3. 5., and the impropriate for £91. 12.

Austhorpe

AUSTHORPE, a township, in the parishes of Whitkirk and Garforth, Lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, W. riding of York, 3½ miles (E.) from Leeds; containing 173 inhabitants. It is situated near the railway and turnpike-road from Leeds to Selby. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £150. 6., payable to Trinity College, Cambridge, and the vicarial for £6. 19.; there is a glebe of about 2½ acres. John Smeaton, distinguished as a civil engineer, and who rebuilt the Eddystone lighthouse, was born here in the year 1724.

Austhwaite, with Birker.—See Birker.

AUSTHWAITE, with Birker.—See Birker.

Austonley

AUSTONLEY, a township, in the ecclesiastical district of Holme-Bridge, parish of Almondbury, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from Huddersfield; containing 1940 inhabitants, mostly engaged in the manufacture of woollen cloth, for which there are numerous mills. The township comprises about 1760 acres, and consists of a deep valley, and large tracts of mountain and moor.

Austrey (St. Nicholas)

AUSTREY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Tamworth, Tamworth division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 6½ miles (N.) from Atherstone; containing 479 inhabitants. The parish is situated in the northern part of the county, on the border of Leicestershire, which bounds it on the east; and consists of 2080 acres. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £162. The church was thoroughly repaired and the chancel rebuilt in 1845, at a cost of £2000. A school is endowed with the interest of £150, bequeathed by Miss Toon, and is also supported partly by the trustees of a charity for apprenticing boys and other purposes, and partly by subscription.

Austwick

AUSTWICK, a township, in the parish of Clapham, union of Settle, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 4 miles (N. W.) from Settle; containing 599 inhabitants. This place, in the Domesday survey "Oustewic," includes the hamlet of Wharfe, and part of that of Feizor. It is situated beneath the shelter of a rocky and precipitous projection of the Ingleborough mountain; and comprises by computation 5400 acres, a considerable portion of which is freehold, and leasehold on long leases; the lands are chiefly in pasture. The population is partly employed in the weaving of cotton. The village is neatly built; a fair for cattle is held in it on the Thursday before Whitsuntide, and is generally well attended. A chapel was erected in 1840, at the expense of Charles Ingleby, Esq., and his sister, the late Miss E. A. Ingleby; the living is held with the vicarage of Clapham.

Authorpe (St. Margaret)

AUTHORPE (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Louth, Wold division of the hundred of Louth-Eske, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 6¾ miles (N. W.) from Alford; containing 117 inhabitants. It comprises 921a. 1r. 13p.; the substratum is a chalk rock of good quality, which is burnt into lime. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Robert Vyner, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £158, and there are 29 acres of glebe. The church is an ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.