COTTON, a township, in the parish of Sandbach,
union of Congleton, hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 2¾ miles (E. by N.) from
Middlewich; containing 101 inhabitants. It lies about
a mile west of the road from Brereton to Knutsford,
and comprises 323 acres, of a sandy soil. The vicarial
tithes have been commuted for £25. 5.
COTTON, a township, in the parish and union of
Wem, Whitchurch division of the hundred of North
Bradford, N. division of the county of Salop; containing 439 inhabitants.
COTTON, a township, in the parish of Alveton,
union of Cheadle, S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 5¼
miles (N. E.) from Cheadle; containing 519 inhabitants.
It includes the hamlets of Upper and Lower Cotton,
and comprises 2272 acres of land. Here is abundance
of excellent limestone, of which extensive quarries are
worked by the Trent and Mersey Canal Company. At
Lower Cotton is a chapel dedicated to St. John the
Baptist, built in 1795, at the expense of the late Thomas Gilbert, Esq., who partly endowed it, and left the
payment of the repairs a charge upon his property.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £44;
patron, Thomas Gilbert, Esq.; impropriator, John
Cotton (St. Andrew)
COTTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Hartismere, W. division of Suffolk,
6 miles (N. N. E.) from Stow-Market; containing 545
inhabitants. It comprises 1921 acres, of which 58 are
common or waste; the surface is in general flat, and
the soil heavy. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £15. 10. 2½.; patron and incumbent,
the Rev. Peter Eade: the tithes have been commuted
for £480, and the glebe consists of 18½ acres, with a
glebe-house, much improved by the present incumbent.
The church is a handsome structure in the decorated
style, with an embattled tower, and a fine south porch;
the nave is lighted by clerestory windows. There is a
place of worship for Wesleyans.
Cotton, county of York.—See Cottam.
COTTON, county of York.—See Cottam.
Cotton, or Coulton
COTTON, or Coulton, a township, in the parish of
Hovingham, union of Helmsley, wapentake of Ryedale, N. riding of York, 8 miles (S. by E.) from
Helmsley; containing 158 inhabitants. It comprises
by computation 990 acres of land; the village is situated to the east of the high road from Helmsley to
Easingwould. There was anciently a chapel, but no
traces of it now remain.
COTTON, ABBOTS, a township, in the parish of
Christleton, union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the
county of Chester, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Chester;
containing 15 inhabitants. The manor of this place,
anciently called Cotes, was given by the baron of Malpas, about 1093, to the convent of St. Werburgh.
Some time after the Dissolution it was the property of
the Smiths of the Hough, from whom it passed to various families. The township comprises 299 acres, of a
COTTON, EDMUNDS, a township, in the parish of
Christleton, union of Great Boughton, Lower
division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the
county of Chester, 4¼ miles (E. by S.) from Chester;
containing 77 inhabitants. This place derives its name
from Edmund de Cotton, whose ancestor held the
manor in the reign of Henry III.: it came by a female
heir of the family to William Venables, baron of Kinderton; was afterwards possessed by Lord Vernon, and
the Brocks; and is now the property of the Marquess
of Westminster. The township comprises 576 acres,
the soil of which is clay, of a strong quality.
COTTON-END, a hamlet, in the township of Eastcotts, parish of Cardington, hundred of Wixamtree,
union and county of Bedford; containing 508 inhabitants.
COTTON-FAR, a hamlet, in the parish and union
of Hardingstone, hundred of Wymersley, S. division
of the county of Northampton, ½ a mile (S.) from
Northampton; containing 279 inhabitants. An hospital here, dedicated to St. Leonard, for a master and
leprous brethren and sisters, is stated to have been
founded by William the Conqueror, and was under the
superintendence of the mayor and burgesses of Northampton. Its revenue, in the 26th of Henry VIII., was
estimated at £12. 6. 8.
Coughall, Chester.—See Caughall.
COUGHALL, Chester.—See Caughall.
Coughton (St. Peter)
COUGHTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Alcester, Alcester division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 2
miles (N. by W.) from Alcester; containing, with the
hamlet of Sambourn, 955 inhabitants. It lies in the
western part of the county, on the border of Worcestershire, which bounds it on the west; and comprises 4079
acres: the river Arrow flows from north to south, and
roads from Birmingham and Bromsgrove to Alcester
unite here. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £9. 10. 7½.; net income, £161;
patron and impropriator, Sir R. Throckmorton, Bart.:
the tithes were commuted for land in 1773. The
church has been repaired, and 158 additional sittings
have been provided. There is a place of worship for
Couldsmouth, with Thompson's-Walls
COULDSMOUTH, with Thompson's-Walls, a
township, in the parish of Kirk-Newton, union of
Glendale, W. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 7½ miles (W. by N.) from
Wooler; containing 38 inhabitants. The township
comprises 1415 acres, of which 106 are common or
waste; it is a mountainous district, extending to the
boundary of Scotland, half a mile east of Yetholm.
The impropriate tithes have been commuted for
£56. 17. 6., and the vicarial for £17. 17.
Coulsdon (St. John the Evangelist)
COULSDON (St. John the Evangelist), a parish,
in the union of Croydon, First division of the hundred
of Wallington, E. division of Surrey, 5 miles (S. by
W.) from Croydon; containing 1041 inhabitants. This
parish, which is situated on the road from London to
Brighton, occupies an elevated position, and commands
extensive and varied prospects; it comprises 3648
acres, exclusively of 550 of down land, and the Brighton
railway passes a little to the west. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 16. 5½., and
in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury: the tithes
have been commuted for £858, and the glebe comprises
80¾ acres. The church, consisting of a nave, chancel,
and aisles, with a tower and spire, has been thoroughly
repaired and stuccoed, and is a very pleasing object.
The Roman road out of Sussex passed through the
parish: on Farthing Downs are dykes which seem to
have been thrown up as a barricade, and on the high
part of the downs are several small barrows.
Coulston, East (St. Thomas à Becket)
COULSTON, EAST (St. Thomas à Becket), a parish, in the union of Westbury and Whorwelsdown,
hundred of Whorwelsdown, Whorwelsdown and N.
divisions of Wilts, 8 miles (S. W.) from Devizes; containing 105 inhabitants. It comprises 864 acres, of
which 276 are arable, 362 pasture, 168 down, and
9 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £7. 14. 2., and in the patronage of the
Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £175. 5., and
the glebe consists of 31 acres, with a glebe-house.
COULSTON, WEST, a tything, in the parish of
Edington, union of Westbury and Whorwelsdown,
hundred of Whorwelsdown, Whorwelsdown and N.
divisions of Wilts; containing 144 inhabitants.
Coulton (Holy Trinity)
COULTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union
of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the
Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster; containing, with the chapelries of Haverthwaite and Rusland and the parochial chapelry of Finsthwaite, 1983
inhabitants. East Coulton is 5½ miles (N. N. E.), and
West Coulton 5 (N. by E.), from Ulverston. This is
one of the most modern parishes in Lancashire. Dr.
Whitaker, by whom its origin was investigated, does
not carry the parochial claim higher than to the year
1676, when it was probably severed from the parish of
Hawkshead, in which it was previously a parochial chapelry. The parish is bounded on the east and south by
the lake Windermere, and the river Leven, which issues
from it; and on the west by the lake Coniston, and the
river Crake, which, with the Leven, falls into Morecambe bay. The scenery is diversified by cheerful
valleys, and rocky but moderate acclivities with hanging woods every where clothing their sides almost to
their summits. The road from Ulverston to Kendal
runs through the southern part of the parish, within the
limits of which, at Backbarrow, extensive cotton-works
are carried on; there are also iron-works, and works for
the preparation of acid, and of gunpowder. The living
is a perpetual curacy; net income, £84; patrons and
appropriators, the Landowners, who pay their quotas
for the minister's stipend. The church is a small plain
building on the summit of a bleak hill; it consists of an
embattled tower, a body with aisles, and a chancel. The
chapels of Haverthwaite, Rusland, and Finsthwaite,
form separate incumbencies. There is a meeting-house
for the Society of Friends; and a parochial school is
endowed with 50 acres of land given by Adam Sandys,
Esq., besides a small bequest from Bartholomew Pennington.
Cound (St. Peter)
COUND (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Atcham, hundred of Condover, S. division of Salop,
6½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Shrewsbury; containing,
with the chapelry of Cressage, 808 inhabitants. The
parish is situated on the road from Shrewsbury to Worcester, and washed on the north-east by the navigable
river Severn. It abounds with richly diversified and
wildly romantic scenery, and comprises by computation
5071 acres, of which 1543 belong to Cressage; the surface is slightly undulated. There are two quarries, from
which is obtained a species of white freestone, lately
used in rebuilding the chapel at Cressage. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £33, and
in the patronage of Mrs. Frances Thursby: the tithes
have been commuted for £619, and the glebe consists
of 93 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is in the
later English style, and contains monuments to the
memory of the Cresset, Fowler, Dod, Wilde, and Langley families; the pulpit is a handsome specimen of
ancient carved oak. Dr. Edward Cresset, Bishop of
Llandaff, who had been rector of this parish, and possessed the principal property in it, lies buried here.
COUNDON, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, N. W. division
of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 475 inhabitants, when the census was taken in
1831, but now increased to 990, in consequence of the
extended working of its coal-mines. A church and
parsonage-house have been erected, and the living has
been endowed by the Bishop of Durham, and a district
assigned comprising the townships of Coundon, Windleston, and Westerton: the Bishop presents.
COUNDON, a hamlet, in the parish of the Holy
Trinity, Coventry, union of Meriden, Kirby division
of the hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the
county of Warwick; containing 181 inhabitants, and
comprising 1000 acres. An act for inclosing waste lands
was passed in 1841. The impropriate tithes have been
commuted for £245.
COUNDON-GRANGE, a township, in the parish of
St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, S. E.
division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county
of Durham, 1½ mile (E. S. E.) from Bishop-Auckland;
containing 313 inhabitants. This place is situated on
an eminence, and commands an extensive view of Weardale: the river Gaunless passes on the west. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £93. 12.
COUNTESS-THORP, a chapelry, in the parish and
union of Blaby, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division
of the county of Leicester; containing 815 inhabitants.
It comprises 1200 acres of land, the soil of which is
chiefly a strong clay. The manufacture of stockings is
carried on. Here is a station of the railway between
Rugby and Derby, situated 5½ miles south from the
Leicester station. The chapel, dedicated to St. Andrew,
was rebuilt in 1841, when 212 sittings were gained.
COUNTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of BythamCastle, union of Bourne, wapentake of Beltisloe,
parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 3½ miles (S.)
from Corby; containing 85 inhabitants.
Countisbury (St. John the Baptist)
COUNTISBURY (St. John the Baptist), a parish,
in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Sherwell,
Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 15½ miles (E. by
N.) from Ilfracombe; containing 185 inhabitants, and
comprising 3227 acres, whereof about 2000 are common
or waste. This parish, which is situated on the shore
of the Bristol Channel, and near the junction of the
counties of Devon and Somerset, is bounded for some
miles on the south and west by the small, rapid, river
Lyn. The spring tides here rise to the height of 30
feet. The scenery is of bold and rugged character,
softened occasionally by woodland and pastures. Stone
of good quality is abundant, and is quarried for the
use of the immediate neighbourhood. The living is
a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Linton: the tithes
have been commuted for £105, and the glebe comprises
Coupe and Lenches, with Newhall-hey, and Hall-Carr
COUPE and LENCHES, with Newhall-hey, and
Hall-Carr, a township, in the parish of Bury, union of
Haslingden, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4¼ miles
(S. S. E.) from Haslingden; containing 1716 inhabitants. These places comprise 1545 acres, of which 230
are common or waste; they lie on the banks of the Irwell,
and on the confines of the hundred of Salford. The
inhabitants are actively engaged in the cotton and
woollen manufactures. Coupe Law is a bold eminence
commanding an extensive view. Part of the township is
in the ecclesiastical district of Rawtenstall. The tithes
have been commuted for two rent-charges of £2. 12. 6.
each, payable to the rectors of Bury and Prestwich-cum-Oldham.
COUPLAND, a township, in the parish of KirkNewton, union of Glendale, W. division of Glendale ward, county of Northumberland, 4½ miles
(N. W.) from Wooler; containing 109 inhabitants. The
township is bounded on the east by the river Till, and on
the south-west by the Glen, and comprises about 800
acres, mostly arable land, with 70 acres of plantation;
the surface is level, and the soil of a light gravelly quality.
Coupland Castle was enlarged in 1820, from a peelhouse, of which the walls have been preserved. The
impropriate tithes have been commuted for £106. 10.,
and the vicarial for £40. 10.