A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY of ENGLAND.
Dacre (St. Andrew)
DACRE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4½
miles (S. W. by W.) from Penrith; containing, with the
townships of Great Blencowe, Newbiggin, Soulby, and
Stainton, 975 inhabitants, of whom 204 are in the
township of Dacre. A monastery existed here in the
time of Bede; and at this place Constantine, King of
Scotland, and Eugenius, King of Cumberland, placed
themselves and their dominions under the authority of
Athelstan. Dacre Castle was long the residence of an
ancient and noble family of that name: the main body
of it, consisting principally of four towers, of excellent
workmanship, remains in a very perfect state. The parish
comprises by admeasurement 6466 acres, of which
about 808 are wood, 300 meadow and pasture, and the
rest arable: limestone is obtained. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8, and
in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of
£120; impropriator, the Earl of Lonsdale. The small
tithes of the townships of Dacre and Soulby were commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1806. There
is a school endowed with £140 per annum, arising from
land; another with £8. 15., a third with £7. 10., and a
fourth with £3, per annum. At Southwaite, in the
parish, is a mineral spring.
DACRE, a township, in the parish of Ripon, union
of Pateley-Bridge, Lower division of the wapentake
of Claro, W. riding of York, 4 miles (S. E.) from
Pateley-Bridge; containing 695 inhabitants. The township is situated on the south-western side of Nidderdale, and comprises a considerable tract, of which a
large portion is open moor; the surface is in some
parts rocky, and diversified by hill and valley, and the
scenery is generally bold. There are coal-mines, and
several quarries of building-stone; also a flax-mill. The
township forms, with Bewerley, an ecclesiastical district. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was
erected in 1837, at an expense of £700, raised by subscription, aided by a grant of £150 from the Incorporated Society; it is in the early English style, with a
tower surmounted by a graceful spire, and forms a
pleasing object in the scenery of the valley. The living is a
perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Ripon; net income, £40, with a good glebe-house.
There is a place of worship for Independents. A school
was built in 1695, by William Hardcastle, who endowed
it with £100; and in 1778, William Mountain bequeathed £100. In 1774, Edward Yates left an estate
now producing £35 per annum, for the instruction of
children at Padside and Braythwaite.
DADFORD, a hamlet, in the parish of Stowe,
union, hundred, and county of Buckingham; containing 159 inhabitants. The manor of Dadford belonged
in part to the neighbouring monastery of Bittlesden,
and has long been annexed to that of Stowe. The hamlet is situated a short distance from the western boundary of Stowe Park.
DADLINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Hinckley, union of Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 3 miles
(N. W. by N.) from Hinckley; containing 180 inhabitants. Before the Conquest, Leofric, Earl of Mercia,
gave this place to the priory of Coventry, and in the
reign of Henry I. the priory gave it to Hugh de Hastings. The lands have since been held by many families,
among others by the Ferrers family, the Pulteneys,
Greys, and Burtons: in 1772 the manor was bought
by William Hurst, Esq. Dadlington comprises 1021a.
3r. 23p. of land, and is situated on an eminence on the
east side of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal; the soil is
gravelly, and the surface diversified. The chapel, dedicated to St. James, is a structure of great antiquity,
with a wooden turret, and a few fragments of stained
glass in its windows. In the village is a small Independent meeting-house, and a school is supported in
connexion with the National Society.
Dagenham (St. Peter and St. Paul)
DAGENHAM (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish,
in the union of Romford, hundred of Becontree,
S. division of Essex, 3½ miles (S. by W.) from Romford;
containing 2294 inhabitants. The parish comprises by
computation 5640 acres, whereof 3350 are arable, 970
pasture, and about 1000 wood and waste. It is bounded
on the south by the Thames, a very destructive irruption of which occurred here in 1707: the waters over-flowed 1000 acres of rich land, and washed nearly 120
acres into the river, where a sand-bank was formed
almost half-way across its bed; and in this state the
whole remained nearly fifteen years, when the breach was
stopped, and the land recovered by Captain Perry, at an
expense of £40,000. The living is a vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £19. 10., and in the gift of the Rev.
T. L. Fanshawe: the great tithes, belonging to Brentwood school, have been commuted for £1036, and the
vicarial for £850; the glebe comprises 4½ acres. The
church is a handsome edifice with a tower of stone,
and contains some good monuments, among which is
one to Sir Richard Alibon, Knt., who was appointed a
judge by James II. A school was founded and endowed
by William Ford, Esq., in 1828; and there is another,
endowed with £100 South Sea annuities.
Daglingworth (Holy Rood)
DAGLINGWORTH (Holy Rood), a parish, in the
union of Cirencester, hundred of Crowthorne and
Minety, E. division of the county of Gloucester,
3 miles (N. W.) from Cirencester; containing 302 inhabitants. This place was not a distinct parish at the
time of the Conquest, but a waste in the manor of
Stratton: the earliest mention of its present name occurs
in a record of the thirteenth century. It comprises by
computation 1811 acres, of which about 1157 are arable,
310 meadow land, and 342 wood; the soil is in general
light, and there are quarries of stone for building. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 6. 3.,
and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have
been commuted for £261, and the glebe comprises 64½
acres, with a glebe-house. The church was built by the
nuns of Godstow, in the county of Oxford, to whom the
place was given in 1499. The Roman Ermin-street
passes through the parish, and a tessellated pavement
has been discovered.
DAGNALL, a chapelry, in the parish of Eddlesborough, union of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of
Cottesloe, county of Buckingham, 3½ miles (E.) from
Ivinghoe; containing 382 inhabitants. The chapel, dedicated to All Saints, has long been in ruins.
DAGWORTH, a hamlet, in the parish of Old
Newton, union and hundred of Stow, W. division of
Suffolk, 2¼ miles (N.) from Stow-Market; containing
169 inhabitants. Some members of a family that took
its name from this place, distinguished themselves in
the wars with France, during the reign of Edward III.
Dalbury (All Saints)
DALBURY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 6 miles (W. by S.) from
Derby; containing, with the hamlet of Lees, 221 inhabitants. In the reign of Edward II. Dalbury and
Lees were the property of Sir Robert Holland; and
both places were held by Sir Samuel Sleigh, who died
in 1679. They passed with his daughter and co-heiress
to Samuel Cheetham, Esq., and on that gentleman's
death, without issue, to Rowland Cotton, Esq., of Bellaport, in Shropshire, who had married the other coheiress. The parish comprises 1172a. 26p., mostly rich
pasture land and dairy-farms; about 29 acres are
common: the surface is beautifully diversified with hill
and dale, the soil is a thick loam, and the scenery is
picturesque. Lees is an inconsiderable village, scattered
round a green of about 36 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 16. 3.; patron,
incumbent, and lord of the manor, the Rev. C. Evelyn
Cotton, whose tithes have been commuted for £184, and
whose glebe comprises 47 acres, with an excellent house,
built by the incumbent. The church is in the later
English style, and is an ancient edifice covered with
ivy; it has a Norman arch over the belfry, and contains
a fine stone font with a richly carved oak covering: in
one of the windows, of stained glass, is a figure of St.
Michael, and the date 1627. A north aisle was lately
added, and the church thoroughly repaired, at a cost of
£300. The communion-plate, of great value, was presented by the Cotton family. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. £14 per annum were
left by Ann Pole for putting out apprentices, or for the
poor. The parish is indebted to the incumbent for a
line of upwards of 1000 yards of public road, constructed
at his expense, and for extensive plantations.
DALBY, a parish, in the union of Spilsby, Wold
division of the wapentake of Candleshoe, parts of
Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3½ miles (N.) from
Spilsby; containing, with the hamlet of Dexthorpe, 106
inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £79; patron, Samuel Slater, Esq. A glebe in
the parish of Toynton All Saints, valued at £27. 10.,
and land in Wildmore Fen, valued at £12, per annum,
are attached to the living.
Dalby (St. Mary)
DALBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Easingwould, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of York,
3 miles (S. E.) from Bransby, and 15 (N.) from York;
containing 155 inhabitants. The parish comprises
1156a. 2r. 37p., of which about 581 acres are arable,
525 meadow and pasture, and 50 wood. The land
is undulated, in most parts very high, and the soil,
though of various qualities, is in general good; the
scenery in many situations is beautiful, embracing extensive views over York, towards Pontefract. The
living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books
at £5. 1. 0½., and in the patronage of Wm. Gray, Jun.,
Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £261, and the
glebe comprises 4½ acres. The church, a very ancient
edifice, contains a large and curious font.
Dalby Magna (St. Swithin)
DALBY MAGNA (St. Swithin), a parish, in the
union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 3 miles
(S. by W.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 479 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 2400 acres,
of which about 1790 are meadow, 500 arable, and 10
woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £8. 4. 7.; patron and impropriator, Sir Robert Burdett, Bart.: the great tithes have
been commuted for £49. 7. 6., and the vicarial for £235,
and there is a small glebe, with a glebe-house.
Dalby-On-The-Wolds, or Old Dalby (St. John the Baptist)
DALBY-ON-THE-WOLDS, or Old Dalby (St.
John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of
the county of Leicester, 6½ miles (N. W. by W.) from
Melton-Mowbray; containing 410 inhabitants. A commandery of Knights Hospitallers was founded here, it is
supposed by Robert Bossu, Earl of Leicester, in the
reign of Henry II.; of which, at the Dissolution, the revenue was valued at £91. 2. 8. The parish comprises
by computation 4000 acres; the village is supplied with
water conveyed by pipes from springs at the distance
of a mile and a half. The living is a donative; net
income, £40; patron, the Rev. William Sawyer. A
church, in which 300 of the sittings are free, was built
at the expense of the patron, and opened for divine
service in February 1836. The Wesleyans have a place
of worship. Here is a chalybeate spring.
Dalby Parva (St. James)
DALBY PARVA (St. James), a parish, in the union
of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 4½ miles (S. S. E.) from
Melton-Mowbray; containing 184 inhabitants. The
living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9;
net income, £263; patron and impropriator, E. B. Hartopp, Esq.
Dalderby (St. Martin)
DALDERBY (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of
Horncastle, S. division of the wapentake of Gartree,
parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3 miles (S. by W.)
from Horncastle; containing 37 inhabitants. The river
Bain and the Horncastle canal pass through the parish.
The living is a discharged rectory, united in 1731 to
the rectory of Scrivelsby, and valued in the king's books
at £4. 19. 4½.
DALE-ABBEY, an extra-parochial liberty, in the
union of Shardlow, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 7 miles
(E. by N.) from Derby; comprising 400 inhabitants.
It has its name from an abbey of Præmonstratensian
canons, founded about the year 1204, by William Fitz-Rauf, seneschal of Normandy, and his son-in-law, Jeffrey
de Salicosa Mara, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary:
at the Dissolution the revenue was estimated at £144. 12.
The liberty comprises 1760 acres of land, the soil of which
is clay, sand, and marl; and has a village situated in a
vale, with a lofty range of hills on the south, commanding extensive views: the houses are mostly of brick, and
thatched. Earl Stanhope is lord of the manor. Here
is a chapel, an ancient and curious structure, divided
into two parts by a framework screen, and having a gallery extending over three sides; it is within the jurisdiction of the manor and peculiar court of Dale-Abbey.
The Wesleyans have a place of worship. A fine eastern
window and a solitary arch are the only remains of the
abbey, with the exception of a portion of the cloisters,
now part of a house.
DALE-TOWN, a township, in the parish of Hawnby, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 9½
miles (N. E. by E.) from Thirsk; containing 49 inhabitants. This township is near one of the sources of the
river Rye, and comprises by computation 2000 acres of
land, partly open moors: it includes a lofty and extensive cliff, called Peak Scarr.
Dalham (St. Mary)
DALHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Newmarket, hundred of Risbridge, W. division of
Suffolk, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Newmarket; containing, with the hamlet of Dunstall-Green, 598 inhabitants.
Dalham Hall, formerly the residence of the family of
Stuteville, is now the seat of the Rev. Sir Robert Affleck.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£15. 10. 5.; net income, £419; patron, Sir R. Affleck:
the tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in
Dallinghoo (St. Mary)
DALLINGHOO (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Woodbridge, partly in the hundred of Loes, but
chiefly in that of Welford, E. division of Suffolk,
4 miles (N.) from Woodbridge; containing 346 inhabitants. The chief manor in this parish was the property,
successively, of several of the earls of Norfolk, from
which circumstance it obtained the appellation of Earls'
Dallinghoo. A handsome mansion was erected by Sir
William Churchill, then lord of the manor, and was rebuilt by his son-in-law, who had succeeded to the
estate; it was destroyed by fire in 1729. The parish
comprises 1530a. 1r. 4p. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; net
income, £384; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Ellis
Walford. The church is an ancient edifice, with a
tower, of which the lower part is of earlier date: the
rectory-house is a good residence, recently enlarged.
Dallington (St. Mary)
DALLINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Newbottle-Grove, union, and S. division of
the county, of Northampton, 1½ mile (N. W.) from
Northampton; containing 519 inhabitants. The parish
is bounded on the north and north-east by the river
Nene, and on the south-west by the road from Northampton to Rugby; and comprises 1474a. 1r., exclusively
of a plantation of firs, computed at 150 acres. The
principal part of the land, which is of rich quality, is
arable, the grass not amounting to more than 200 acres.
About 100 persons are engaged in the manufacture of
shoes. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £6. 15. 8.; net income, £200; patron
and impropriator, J. Reddall, Esq.: the glebe consists
of 40 acres, with a glebe-house. The church has portions in the early English style, and contains handsome
monuments to the Rainsford and Jekyll families, former
possessors of the estate.
Dallington (St. Margaret)
DALLINGTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the
union of Battle, partly in the hundred of Foxearle
and Hawksborough, but chiefly in that of Netherfield, rape of Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 6 miles
(W. N. W.) from Battle; containing 612 inhabitants.
The parish is situated on the road from Battle to Uckfield, and beautifully diversified by hill and dale; it
abounds with iron-ore, and several blast-furnaces were
formerly in operation for smelting the ore, but the works
have been long discontinued. The living is a vicarage
endowed with the rectorial tithes, and valued in the
king's books at £8; net income, £182; patron, the
Earl of Ashburnham. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled
tower surmounted by a spire.
Dalston (St. Michael)
DALSTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union
of Carlisle, ward, and E. division of the county, of
Cumberland; comprising the townships of Buckabank, Cumdivock, Dalston, Hawkesdale, and Raughton
with Gaitsgill, and the chapelry of Highhead; and containing 2874 inhabitants, of whom 1024 are in the township of Dalston, 4½ miles (S. S. W.) from Carlisle. This
place, from various circumstances, appears to have been
visited by the Romans; and from some extensive quarries of freestone here, it is supposed a great part of the
stone used for building the Roman wall from Carlisle
to Bowness was dug; an opinion confirmed by the
discovery, about the middle of the last century, of a
Roman inscription on the face of a rock, and by the
vestiges of three Roman encampments, that exist in the
neighbourhood. Rose Castle, in the parish, is supposed
to have been the principal residence of the bishops of
Carlisle from the year 1228: in 1322 it was burnt by
Robert Bruce, and, about 1366, was twice attacked and
ravaged by the Scots. Before the civil war in the seventeenth century, the building formed a complete quadrangle, had five towers, and was surrounded by a turreted wall. In 1648, being then held for the king, it
was attacked by General Lambert, and taken by storm;
shortly afterwards, the Duke of Hamilton's army was
here reinforced by that under Sir Marmaduke Langdale,
and the castle, after having been used as a prison for the
royalists, was burnt by order of Major Cholmeley.
Since the Restoration it has been rebuilt, and improved
by successive prelates. The parish comprises about
10,850 acres; the surface, though hilly, is not mountainous, and the valleys are watered by the river Caldew,
which, after receiving the Raugh and the Ive, gives name
to a beautiful vale. Stone of excellent quality is found,
and at Shalk are some very extensive quarries: the
cotton manufacture is carried on to a considerable extent, there being several mills; and an iron and plating
forge is conducted on a large scale, for spades and implements of husbandry. The village is well built, and at
the eastern extremity is an ancient cross, raised on a
flight of steps, and bearing several coats of arms; a customary market is held on Friday, and the village is a
polling-place for the eastern division of the county. The
living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£8. 18. 1½.; net income, £201; patron and appropriator, the Bishop. The church was rebuilt about a century ago. At Highhead is a separate incumbency.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a
school, rebuilt in 1815, is endowed with £33 per annum.
Remains exist of a Druidical circle about thirty yards in
circumference. The celebrated Dr. Paley was vicar of
Dalston from 1774 to 1793.
DALSTON, a suburban village, in the parish of
Hackney, Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone,
county of Middlesex, 2½ miles (N. N. E.) from London.
This place, which has greatly increased within the last
few years, extends from the village of Hackney towards
Kingsland, and consists of several handsome ancient
mansions, and numerous neat houses of modern erection. A church, dedicated to St. Philip, and capable of
accommodating 1000 persons, was consecrated in August,
1841, having been erected at a cost of £5700, on ground
given by the late Mr. W. Rhodes: the living is in the
gift of the Rector of St. John's, Hackney. A school of
industry was erected in Dalston-lane, by subscription, in
1837, for the reception of fifty girls, who are instructed
by aid of voluntary contributions; and in Oct. 1845, a
building was opened as a German hospital by Prince
George of Cambridge, and Chevalier Bunsen, the Prussian ambassador.