Dregg - Duddo

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

91-96

Citation Show another format:

'Dregg - Duddo', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 91-96. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50928 Date accessed: 18 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Dregg (St. Peter)

DREGG (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Bootle, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Ravenglass; containing, with the township of Carleton, 429 inhabitants, of whom 286 are in the township of Dregg. The parish anciently abounded with oaks, from which it seems to have derived its name; Derigh, or Dergh, signifying, in the Celtic tongue, oak. It is intersected by the river Irt, and bounded on the south by the Mite, and on the west by the Irish Sea, near the shore of which is a powerful chalybeate spring. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £88; patron, S. Irton, Esq.; impropriator, Lord Muncaster. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1820. A school built in 1828, by the Rev. William Thompson, a native of the parish, is endowed with £1400 three per cent. Bank annuities.

Drews-Teignton.—See Teignton, Drews.

DREWS-TEIGNTON.—See Teignton, Drews.

Drewton, with Everthorp

DREWTON, with Everthorp, a township, in the parish of North Cave, union of Howden, HunsleyBeacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 1½ mile (N. by W.) from South Cave; containing 184 inhabitants, of whom 85 are in the hamlet of Drewton. The township is formed of two manors, and is intersected by the road from Beverley to Howden; it comprises by computation 1390 acres of land. The manor of Drewton, the name of which is supposed to be a corruption of Druids' town, is a romantic district of scattered houses: the Hall stands in a secluded valley in the south-western hills of the Wolds, where many British and Roman antiquities, and human bones, have been found. Everthorp is distant from Drewton about two miles.

Driby (St. Michael)

DRIBY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Spilsby, Wold division of the wapentake of Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4¾ miles (W. by S.) from Alford; containing 97 inhabitants. It comprises 1338 acres, and is distinguished by a bold line of hills belonging to the chalk formation of the county, and forming part of its eastern escarpment towards the sea. The living is a discharged rectory, united in 1774 to that of South Ormsby, and valued in the king's books at £8. 19. 4.

Driffield (St. Mary)

DRIFFIELD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Cirencester; containing 148 inhabitants. It is situated about midway between the road from Cirencester to London, and that from Cirencester to Cricklade; and comprises 1214 acres, of which 650 are arable, 500 pasture, and 60 woodland. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £8. 2. 3½.; net income, £270; patron, George Bengough, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and a corn rent in 1799; the glebe contains 180 acres, with a glebe-house. The church was built about a century since by Lord Coleraine, several of whose family, including the well-known George Hanger, were buried here. A school was founded in 1825, by Arthur Vansittart, Esq., and the family of Cumberland, the former giving a messuage and garden, and the latter the sum of £300.

Driffield, Great (All Saints)

DRIFFIELD, GREAT (All Saints), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 29 miles (E. by N.) from York, and 193 (N.) from London; containing, with the chapelry of Little Driffield and the township of Emswell with Kelley-thorpe, 3477 inhabitants, of whom 3223 are in the town. This place is pleasantly situated at the foot of the Wolds, and near the confluence of several streams, which, uniting their waters, flow south-eastward to Frodingham, where, receiving numerous tributaries, they form the river Hull. It consists of one spacious street extending nearly north and south, in a direction parallel with the principal stream, and of two small streets of inferior houses irregularly built, one on the east, and the other on the west, side of the main street. The streets are lighted with gas, from works established in 1835 at an expense of £1800, raised in shares of £10 each; and the inhabitants are amply supplied with excellent water. A mechanics' institute was founded in 1837, and a branch of the Hull savings' bank has been opened. The various streams abound with fine trout and other fish, of the former of which, one weighing seventeen pounds was taken a short time since. The Driffield Anglers' Club was established in 1833, and is under the management of a president and a committee of seven members, with a secretary who is also treasurer; each member contributes £5 yearly towards the expense of preserving the fishery, and the club holds an annual meeting on the first Tuesday after the 19th of April. The air is pure and salubrious, and the environs remarkably pleasant, abounding with varied scenery, and affording every attraction to the sportsman. The principal business is in corn, of which the surrounding district affords an abundant supply; and from the central situation of the town, and the great facilities of conveyance, the trade is rapidly increasing. A neat building, containing a cornexchange and public rooms, has been erected by subscription, at an expense of £2000, raised in £10 shares. The manufacture of carpets, linen, and sacking, is carried on to a moderate extent; and an iron-foundry, and a very extensive tannery, afford employment to a considerable number of persons. There are corn-mills on the streams in the town and neighbourhood; and at the head of the Driffield canal are two mills for crushing bones, and several commodious wharfs and warehouses. This canal was constructed under an act of the 7th of George III., and extends along the side of the principal stream to the river Hull, a little below the bridge at Frodingham. The Hull and Bridlington railway, opened in 1846, has a station here; and an act has been passed for a railway to Malton. The market is on Thursday, and large cattle-fairs are held at Little Driffield, which see. The powers of the county debt-court of Driffield, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Driffield.

The Living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Little Driffield annexed, valued in the king's books at £7. 10. 2½., and in the gift of the Precentor in the Cathedral of York, as prebendary of Driffield. The perpetual curate's tithes have been commuted for £100, and his glebe consists of 37 acres. The church is an ancient and stately structure in the Norman and early English styles, with a lofty embattled tower of the decorated English style, strengthened by double buttresses at the angles, panelled and enriched with canopied niches, and crowned by eight crocketed pinnacles; it was built by a member of the Hotham family, and forms a truly magnificent feature in the landscape. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. The poor law union of Driffield comprehends 43 parishes and townships, with a population of 16,829; the workhouse, situated in the town, was erected in 1838, and contains accommodation for 200 inmates, and a court-room in which the petty-sessions for the division are held every Thursday. At Danesdale, a hamlet in the parish, are numerous tumuli called the "Danes' Graves," supposed to have been raised over the bodies of the Danish chiefs who fell in a battle said to have taken place in the immediate vicinity.

Driffield, Little

DRIFFIELD, LITTLE, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Great Driffield, Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 1 mile (W.) from Great Driffield; containing 154 inhabitants. It is on the Malton road, and comprises by computation 400 acres. Fairs are held on Easter-Monday, Whit-Monday, Aug. 26th, and Sept. 19th, for horses, cattle, and sheep. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Great Driffield, and valued in the king's books at £5. 3. 4. The chapel, dedicated to St. Peter, was taken down and rebuilt in 1807: the ancient structure was celebrated as the burial-place of Alchfrid, a brother of Alfred, King of Northumbria, who died in 705, and to whose memory an inscription is still preserved against the south wall of the chancel.

Drighlington

DRIGHLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Birstal, union of Bradford, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 5 miles (S. E.) from Bradford, and 5½ (W. S. W.) from Leeds; containing 2031 inhabitants. That part of the township known as Adwalton, is memorable as the scene of a sanguinary battle which took place in the reign of Charles I., between the royalists, commanded by the Earl of Newcastle, and the parliamentarian forces under Lord Fairfax, in which the latter were defeated with considerable loss, and both Lord Fairfax and his son driven off the field. The township comprises by measurement 1098 acres, laid out in arable and pasture: the surface is elevated, and the substratum abounds in coal, several mines being in operation; stone is quarried, but it is of inferior quality, and used chiefly for field-fencing and inside walling. At the extremity of the township, towards Gildersome, is a mill for woollen goods, which affords employment to a small portion of the inhabitants; also two steam corn-mills, in one of which is a room for power-looms for the Bradford market. A market was formerly held at Adwalton, and also fairs for cattle, which were originally established by charter; the fatcattle fairs have long been removed to Wakefield, but there are still good supplies of cows and horses on Feb. 26th, the Thursdays in Easter and in Whitsun week, Nov. 5th, and some other days. The village is pleasantly situated on the Whitehall road from Leeds to Halifax, and on that from Bradford to Wakefield; and commands, from its elevated position, an extensive view over the surrounding country. The chapel, a neat edifice with a campanile turret, was erected by subscription in 1786, and contains 345 sittings, of which 30 are free: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Messrs. Hague. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists, Methodists of the New Connexion, and Wesleyans. The grammar school, free to a limited number of scholars, was founded in 1666, by Dr. James Margetson, Archbishop of Armagh, in Ireland, a native of this village, who endowed it with a rent-charge of £60, which is paid to three masters, the head master being appointed by Peterhouse College, Cambridge.

Dringhoe, with Upton and Brough

DRINGHOE, with Upton and Brough, a township, in the parish of Skipsea, union of Bridlington, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 11 miles (E. by S.) from Driffield; containing 190 inhabitants, of whom 82 are in Dringhoe. This place at an early period came into the hands of the family of Cance, and remained with them through a long period of years; the abbey of Meaux had also several grants of land here, and held at the Dissolution 378 acres. The township comprises about 1700 acres, tithe-free, partly the property of Sir T. A. Clifford Constable: the road from Barmston to Brandsburton passes on the west. The Hall is now a farmhouse.

Dringhouses

DRINGHOUSES, a chapelry, partly in the parish of the Holy Trinity, Micklegate, partly in that of Acomb, but chiefly in the parish of St. Mary-BishopsHill-Senior, E. division of Ainsty wapentake, W. riding of York, 1½ mile (S. W.) from York, on the road to Tadcaster; containing 156 inhabitants. This chapelry comprises 576 acres, of which two-thirds are meadow and pasture, and one-third arable: the surface is elevated, and the air bracing and salubrious; there are charming views of the city and cathedral of York, and of the celebrated race-course. Here are several hotels, with excellent stables for the race-horses, and every accommodation for persons attending the races. The York and North-Midland railway passes to the right of the place after leaving Hob Moor. The living is a donative; patron, the Rev. E. T. Leigh: the tithes have been commuted for £137. The chapel belongs to the Barlows, of Middlethorpe, to which family are several monuments. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Drinkstone (All Saints)

DRINKSTONE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Stow, hundred of Thedwastry, W. division of Suffolk, 6½ miles (W. N. W.) from Stow-Market; containing 505 inhabitants. It comprises 2172 acres, of which 67 are common or waste. Here is a handsome mansion, beautifully situated in an extensive and well-wooded park. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 17. 1., and in the gift of the Rev. Edgar Rust; the tithes have been commuted for £517, and the glebe comprises 85 acres. The church is in the decorated English style, with an embattled tower of brick, erected in 1694. The Rev. Richard Mosely, in 1804, bequeathed £700 for a school; and the poor have several other bequests.

Drointon

DROINTON, a township, partly in the parish of Colwich, and partly in that of Stowe, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, union, and N. division of the county, of Stafford, 1 mile (E. S. E.) from Stowe; containing 162 inhabitants. It lies about a mile south of Chartley Park, and is chiefly occupied by persons engaged in agriculture.

Droitwich

DROITWICH, an ancient borough and markettown, having exclusive jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally in the Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, Eastern division of the county of Worcester, 6¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from the city of Worcester, and 118 (N. W.) from London; containing 2832 inhabitants. This place was anciently denominated Wich or Wiche, from the wiches, or salt-springs, wherewith the neighbourhood abounds; and the prefix Droit, right or legal, is supposed to refer to some exclusive privilege for the manufacture of salt, obtained by the inhabitants. It appears to have been the town of the ancient Britons called by Richard of Cirencester Salinæ, from its saline springs, situated on a British road, styled the Saltway. There is no evidence of its having ever been occupied by the Romans; but under the Saxon government it rose to importance, and seems to have given name to their province of Wiccia, of which Worcestershire constituted the principal part. During the war between Charles I., and the parliament, the inhabitants adhered steadily to the royal cause, and received a letter from that unfortunate monarch, acknowledging a due sense of their loyalty.


Seal and Arms.

The Town is situated on the river Salwarp, upon which are several corn-mills. The manufacture of salt existed here at the period of our history when the Romans held partial possession of the county, though it was not until the year 1725 that the strong brine, for which it is now famous, was discovered; the purity of the salt is considered superior to that of any salt obtained elsewhere, and the quantity produced amounts to about 50,000 tons a year. By charter of James I., the exclusive privilege of sinking pits within the borough was given to the corporation, who granted licences to others; but this was overthrown about 1690, by a legal decision in favour of an enterprising individual, who, by a breach of this supposed right, successfully encountered the opposition of the party claiming it. Pits then became numerous, and the trade was thrown open to competition, to the great advantage of the community. The principle or method of making the salt remained unvaried until lately, when several persons adopted other modes, and obtained patents for them, but afterwards resorted to the old practice. In 1841, Mr. Benjamin Smith received a patent (subsequently assigned to Mr. George Ellins) for "an improved apparatus for making salt from brine," whereby five large pans of brine are heated and made to produce salt, of a superior quality and grain, with the same quantity of fuel that was previously required for one pan only. The supply of brine is obtained by boring, upon the Artesian principle. Mr. Ellins sank a shaft of seven feet diameter to the depth of 200 feet, the last thirty being through a bed of rock-salt, and then formed a large cavity, into which a powerful spring of brine introduced itself, instantaneously filling it and rising to the surface. He afterwards sank another shaft equally deep, the water having burst in upon the first; but this, also, has been abandoned, as the fresh water could not be kept out; and Mr. Ellins has sunk another well in the neighbourhood of the old pits. It was always thought that the brine was confined to the valley between the High-street and Dodderhill church; but in 1847 Messrs. Walter and John Noak, natives of the town, after surmounting various difficulties, found a bountiful supply of brine of excellent quality, beneath the surface of a field called Covercroft, near the union-workhouse, on an eminence far removed from any other brine-pit.

An act was procured in 1767, for a canal from this town to the river Severn, which was begun in 1768, and completed in 1771, under the direction of Brindley, the celebrated engineer, at an expense of £25,000; it is navigable for vessels of sixty tons' burthen, and the junction takes place at Hawford. The Birmingham and Gloucester railway has a station a mile and a half eastward of the town; and an act was passed in 1845 for a railway from Oxford, by Droitwich, to Wolverhampton; with a branch of four miles from Droitwich to Stoke-Prior, on the Birmingham and Gloucester line. A building called the Exchequer-house, where the payments from the persons who held licences to make salt, and the other profits derived by the corporation from the brine-pits, were made weekly, was erected about the year 1581; but it was taken down in 1826, and new court-rooms have been built near the spot on which it stood. At the same time an old market-house was pulled down, and a new one formed under the courtrooms; also a good prison. The hot and cold salt-water baths, here, were established in 1836, at the suggestion of Dr. Hastings, of Worcester, and are celebrated for their efficacy in cases of rheumatism, paralysis, asthma, and affections of the spine. Gas-works were erected in the same year. The malting-trade is carried on to a limited extent. The market is on Friday; and there are fairs on the Monday before the 20th of June, and the Wednesday before St. Thomas' day, during which a court of pie-poudre is held.

The town was originally incorporated by a Charter from John, conferring on the inhabitants various privileges, which were confirmed and increased by succeeding monarchs; and by the charter of the 22nd of James I., which refers to prior charters, the body corporate consisted of two bailiffs, a recorder, two justices, a town-clerk, burgesses, &c. By the act of the 5th and 6th of William IV., cap. 76, the government is vested in a mayor, four aldermen, and twelve councillors; and a commission of the peace has been granted by Her present Majesty to the borough, which has now nine magistrates. The powers of the county debt-court of Droitwich, established in 1847, extend over nearly the whole of the registration-district of Droitwich. The town returned two burgesses to the parliaments of Edward I., and to those held in the 2nd and 4th of Edward II., from which period the privilege ceased until 1554: it now sends only one member, having been deprived of the other by the act of the 2nd of William IV., cap. 45. The right of election, according to a decision of the house of commons in 1690, was vested in the burgesses of the corporation of the salt-springs, in number about forty; but by the act just mentioned, the privilege was extended to the £10 householders of an enlarged district, comprising by estimation 22,656 acres: the mayor is returning officer. The town is the place of election for the eastern division of the county.

The ancient borough comprises the greater part of the united parish of St. Andrew and St. Mary-deWitton, containing 790 inhabitants; the parishes of St. Peter-de-Witton, 703, and St. Nicholas, 588; and a small portion of that of St. Augustine-de-Wich, or Dodderhill, 686. The parishes of St. Andrew and St. Mary were united by letters-patent of Edward VI., dated 4th of June, in the second year of his reign; and the union was confirmed by an act obtained in the 13th of Charles II. St. Andrew's contains 541 acres, St. Peter's 697, St. Nicholas' 307; and the liberties forming part of Dodderhill 22 acres. The living of St. Andrew's is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 12. 1., and in the patronage of the family of Silvester for one presentation, and then of the Crown; the tithes have been commuted for £208, and the glebe comprises 20 acres. The church, which was rebuilt after its destruction by a casual fire in 1293, has some fine portions in the early English style, with additions of later date; it is very neat in its interior, and has a good organ. The living of St. Peter's is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £6, and in the gift of Earl Somers: the tithes have been commuted for £170, and the glebe contains half an acre. The church has a tower in the later English style, a handsome ceiling of carved oak, some fine decorated windows, and a small quantity of ancient stained glass: Dr. Nash, the historian of Worcestershire, and editor of a splendid edition of Hudibras, lies buried here. A chapel of ease stood on the bridge, but was taken down in 1763. The living of St. Nicholas' is a rectory, rated in the king's books at £4. 9. 7.: the tithes until recently were wholly impropriate, but onehalf of them is now paid to the incumbent of St. Andrew's, who has the spiritual care of the parish; they have been commuted for £105. The church was greatly injured during the parliamentary war, and is now entirely demolished. There are places of worship for dissenters. A school is supported by an endowment from the Right Hon. Henry Coventry; and there is a national school, endowed with £20 per annum from the Oakley estate at Salwarp. A Sunday school for boys was founded in 1789, by N. G. Petre, who endowed it with £850 three per cent. consols.; there is also an infants' school. The Coventry hospital, in St. Peter's parish, was founded with a bequest by Henry, son of Lord Coventry, keeper of the great seal in the reign of Charles I.; who, previous to his death, in 1686, left £1000 for the erection of a workhouse, and also estates for its maintenance, which last were converted into a rent-charge of £473, and, with accumulations vested in the funds, produce an income of £1109 per annum. The poor law union of Droitwich comprises twenty-six parishes or places, and contains 17,465 inhabitants. Richard de Wich, Bishop of Chichester, a man of extensive erudition, and who was canonized by Urban IV., in 1262, nine years after his death, was born here: the inhabitants held his fame in great estimation, and were wont to celebrate an annual festival with games, &c., in honour of him. Serjeant Wilde, an eminent republican lawyer, who was made lord chief baron of the exchequer under the protectorship of Cromwell, was also a native of Droitwich, and was buried in St. Peter's church.—See Dodderhill.

Dronfield (St. John the Baptist)

DRONFIELD (St. John the Baptist), a parish, partly in the union of Ecclesall-Bierlow, and partly in that of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 6 miles (S.) from Sheffield; comprising the chapelries of Dore and Holmesfield, the townships of Coal-Aston, Dronfield, Totley, and Unstone, and the hamlet of Little Barlow; and containing 4583 inhabitants, of whom 1986 are in the township of Dronfield. This parish, called in the Domesday survey Dranefield, had formerly the privilege of a market. It is situated on the high road, about midway between Sheffield and Chesterfield, and comprises by admeasurement 4515 acres, of which about 2500 are arable and pasture, and a large portion of the remainder common. An act was passed in 1839 for inclosing lands in the manor and township of Totley, and also in the manor of Unstone; and in 1840, an act was obtained for inclosing the manor of Dronfield. The neighbourhood abounds with coal, which is extensively wrought and made into coke for the railroad, affording employment to many of the population; some quarries of stone for building, repairing roads, &c., are also in operation. There are manufactories for scythes, sickles, and edge-tools, and for various articles in ironmongery and cutlery; several foundries; and some cotton-works. Fairs are held for cattle and cheese, on the 25th of April, the first Wednesday after the 17th of March, and the first Thursday after the 12th of October. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 2. 1., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £224; impropriators, the Dukes of Devonshire and Rutland, Offley Shore, Esq., and Mrs. Cecil. The church has a tower and spire at the west end, opposite to which was once a chantry chapel, now an inn. There are chapels at Dore and Holmesfield; also places of worship in the parish for Independents and Wesleyans. The grammar school was erected in 1579, by Thomas Fanshawe, in pursuance of the will of his father, dated 1567, by which it is endowed with lands now producing an income of £180. At Cowley is a sulphureous spring.

Droxford (St. Mary and All Saints)

DROXFORD (St. Mary and All Saints), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Bishop'sWaltham, Droxford and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3¼ miles (E. by N.) from Bishop's-Waltham; containing, with the tythings of Hill, Shidfield, and Swanmore, 1942 inhabitants, of whom 479 are in Droxford-Street. The parish comprises 6986 acres, whereof 1465 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 19. 4½., and in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester: the tithes have been commuted for £1110. 14., and the glebe contains 23 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is an ancient structure in the early Norman style, with later details, among which are two fine arches of very handsome design. Two churches have been built at Shidfield, and a third at Swanmore. The poor law union of Droxford comprises eleven parishes or places, and contains a population of 10,282.

Droylsden

DROYLSDEN, a township and ecclesiastical parish, in the parish of Manchester, union of Ashton-underLyne, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles (E.) from Manchester, on the road to Ashton-under-Lyne; containing 4933 inhabitants. It comprises 1570 acres, chiefly pasture and dairy-farms: the surface is in general rather flat, with distant views of the Derbyshire hills; the subsoil mostly stiff clay, occasionally with sand and bog. In the vicinity of the river Medlock, which touches the boundary on the northern side, the land is considerably undulated, and prettily varied with wood. The Manchester and Ashton canal passes through. The population is chiefly employed in four cotton-mills, in some printing and dye works, and in collieries. The Clayton colliery, here, has been extensively worked for the last fifty years, and produces a good engine-coal; the pits are from 200 to 300 yards deep: at Clayton, also, are two printing establishments, and a dye-house. Fairfield village, in the township, lies on the road from Manchester to Ashton, about three and a half miles eastward from the former place.

The ecclesiastical parish or district was formed in October 1844, under the 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester and the Crown, alternately; net income, £150, with a house. The church was built in 1847, at a cost of £3100, and is in the early English style, with a tower surmounted with a spire. The tithes belong to the Dean and Chapter of Manchester. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans; and at Fairfield is a Moravian establishment, founded in 1784. The ground plot of the settlement forms a spacious square area, the houses in which are neatly built of brick; and as is usual with Moravians in their settlements, here is a large house for unmarried females, where beautiful needlework is executed; also boarding-schools for the education of young ladies and young gentlemen, respectively: annexed to the chapel is a burial-ground. There is a school on the national system. Clayton Hall was the seat of Humphry Chetham, the founder of various charitable institutions in Manchester.

Drumburgh

DRUMBURGH, a township, in the parish of Bowness, union of Wigton, Cumberland ward, and E. division of the county of Cumberland, 9¼ miles (W. by N.) from Carlisle; containing 470 inhabitants. This was the Roman station Gabrosentum, garrisoned by the Cohors Secunda Thracum: the ramparts are still very high, and the deep ditch incloses an area about 110 yards square, which has been converted into a garden to Drumburgh Castle, built out of the ruins of the fort, and with part of the remains of Adrian's wall. Two draw-wells, cased with fine ashlar work, were discovered about 1780. Here was formerly a chapel.

Druridge

DRURIDGE, a hamlet, in the parochial chapelry of Widdrington, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Morpeth; containing 58 inhabitants. The village is situated on the shore of a bay of the same name in the North Sea, about a mile to the east of Widdrington: the fine sands of the bay, being smooth, firm, and level, are well adapted for bathing.

Drybeck

DRYBECK, a township, in the parish of St. Lawrence, Appleby, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Appleby; containing 86 inhabitants.

Dry-Drayton.—See Drayton, Dry.

DRY-DRAYTON.—See Drayton, Dry.

Drypool (St. Peter)

DRYPOOL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Sculcoates, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York; containing 3390 inhabitants, of whom 2223 are in the township of Drypool. The parish consists of the townships of Drypool and Southcoates; it is bounded on the west by the river Hull, and comprises about 1100 acres of level land, of which 100 are in Drypool. The village is deemed a part of the town of Hull, to which it is contiguous. In the vicinity was the village of Frisneck, which was destroyed by an inundation of the Humber. The living is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of the Trustees of the Rev. C. Simeon, with a net income of £200, and a residence; impropriator, H. Broadley, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1824, by subscription, aided by a grant of £500 from the Church Building Society, and is a neat plain edifice, containing nearly 1100 sittings, of which 722 are free. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Duckington

DUCKINGTON, a township, in the parish of Malpas, union of Great Boughton, Higher division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 3½ miles (N.) from Malpas; containing 85 inhabitants, and comprising 666 acres, of which 90 are waste. Of the tithes, £60 are payable to the impropriator, and £1. 1. to the rectors of the parish.

Ducklington (St. Bartholomew)

DUCKLINGTON (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Witney, hundred of Bampton, county of Oxford, 1½ mile (S.) from Witney; containing, with the hamlet of Hardwicke, 541 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 1886 acres, of which 1073 are arable, 640 pasture, and 170 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24. 10. 5., and in the gift of Magdalen College, Oxford: the tithes, excepting those of Hardwicke, have been commuted for £466, and the glebe comprises 35 acres, with a glebehouse. The church is a highly interesting structure, partly in the early and partly in the decorated English style, with a north and south porch of elegant design, and consists of a nave, aisles, and chancel; it has been repewed, and greatly improved and beautified, chiefly at the expense of the incumbent. There is a chapel of ease in Cokethorpe Park belonging to the hamlet of Hardwicke, an ancient edifice with a tower.

Duckmanton, Derby.—See Sutton.

DUCKMANTON, Derby.—See Sutton.

Dudcote, or Didcote (All Saints)

DUDCOTE, or Didcote (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Wallingford, hundred of Moreton, county of Berks, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Wallingford; containing 203 inhabitants. The Great Western railway has a station here, from which the Oxford branch of ten miles sets out, in a northern direction. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 12. 6.; net income, £397; patrons, the Principal and Fellows of Brasenose College, Oxford.

Duddeston cum Nechells

DUDDESTON cum Nechells, a hamlet, in the parish of Aston, Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick; adjoining the town of Birmingham, and containing 20,079 inhabitants in 1841, since when the number has considerably increased. This populous place, which is situated on the north-eastern side of the town, and included in the borough, comprises the suburb of Ashted, described under its own head. From its proximity to Birmingham, it participates largely in its trade and manufactures: there are three glass-houses, several flour-mills, pearl and button factories, and various other works, together with many wharfs on the line of the Birmingham canal. An act for improving the hamlet was passed in 1845. Duddeston Hall, formerly the residence of Mr. Galton, is now converted into a lunatic asylum of high respectability. A district church dedicated to St. Matthew was erected by the Birmingham Church Building Society, at a cost of about £3200, and consecrated on the 20th of October, 1840; it was endowed from the same source with £1000, which have been expended in the erection of a parsonage-house. The living is in the gift of Trustees. There are places of worship belonging to various denominations of dissenters; and good infants' and other schools, supported by subscription: the parochial schools of the district afford instruction to 1000 children.

Duddington (St. Mary)

DUDDINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stamford, hundred of Willybrook, N. division of the county of Northampton, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Stamford; containing 413 inhabitants. It is beautifully situated on the east bank of the river Welland, which separates it from Rutland; and comprises by admeasurement 1371 acres, of which about 112 are wood land, and the rest arable and pasture in nearly equal portions. The surface is hilly, and the wood, consisting chiefly of oak and ash, contributes greatly to the beauty of the scenery; the soil is partly clay, and partly a shallow rocky earth. The road from Stamford, through Kettering, to Northampton; and that from Wansford, through Uppingham, to Leicester; pass through the village. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Gretton: the vicarial tithes were commuted for 37 acres of land in 1774. The church is a very ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Independents; also a school, endowed with £10 per annum.

Duddo

DUDDO, a township, in the parish of Norham, otherwise Norhamshire, union of Berwick-uponTweed, N. division of Northumberland; containing 276 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1650 acres, of which 1420 are arable, and 230 pasture: there are two farms in the township, and a colliery, to which a small portion of land is attached. A chapel of ease was consecrated in 1832. On the summit of a small rocky hill are the remains of Duddo Tower, and near it four rude stones of Druidical origin.