Easthope (St. Peter)
EASTHOPE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Church-Stretton, hundred of Munslow, S. division
of Salop, 4¾ miles (S. W.) from Wenlock; containing
108 inhabitants. This is a retired parish, with pleasing
scenery: the renowned Wenlock-Edge stretches through
it; and on an opposite side is a Roman encampment.
The plantations and grounds connected with Lutwyche
Hall, a mansion built by Judge Lutwyche in the reign of
Queen Elizabeth, serve much to adorn and beautify the
parish. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the
king's books at £3. 3. 1½.; net income, £133; patron,
R. Benson, Esq.; incumbent, the Rev. Robert Armitage.
The church is remarkable for its encaustic tiles, and has
a beautifully proportioned chancel window. In the
churchyard are two flat tombstones, with the sculptured
figure of the cross, supposed to note the burial-place
of two monks brought hither from the abbey of Wenlock; they lie on the north side, midway between two
Easthorpe (St. Mary)
EASTHORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Lexden and Winstree, Colchester division of the
hundred of Lexden, N. division of Essex, 4 miles (N. E.
by E.) from Kelvedon; containing 146 inhabitants. The
parish comprises 900 acres, of which 30 are woodland
and plantations, and the remainder chiefly arable. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12, and
in the patronage of the Hon. Col. Onslow: the tithes
have been commuted for £265, and there are 27 acres of
glebe. The church is a small edifice consisting of a
nave and chancel, and has several ancient monuments;
in the south wall is a recess, which appears to have contained the tomb of the founder.
EASTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Bottesford, union of Grantham, hundred of Framland, N.
division of the county of Leicester; containing 417
EASTHORPE, a township, in the parish and union
of Southwell, Southwell division of the wapentake of
Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham. This place has been always regarded as a distinct
portion of the town of Southwell: it consists of one
street, comprising some irregularly-built but handsome
houses, with spacious gardens, in one of which is a copious spring, containing fixed air, carbonate of lime, magnesia, and calcareous earth. George Stainton, in 1553,
bequeathed about 35 acres of land, which produce £74
per annum, whereof £25 are paid for the instruction of
children, and the remainder is expended in public improvements.
EASTINGTON, a tything, in the parish and union
of Northleach, hundred of Bradley, E. division of
the county of Gloucester, 1½ mile (S. E.) from Northleach; containing 351 inhabitants. It had a chapel,
dedicated to St. Mary, which has long since gone to
decay; the burial-ground is still remaining, and belongs
to the vicar of Northleach.
Eastington (St. Michael)
EASTINGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union
of Wheatenhurst, Lower division of the hundred of
Whitestone, E. division of the county of Gloucester,
5 miles (W. by N.) from Stroud; containing, with the
tything of Alkerton, 1871 inhabitants, of whom 763 are
in the tything of Eastington. The parish comprises
2044 acres of good land, and the Stroudwater canal
and the Gloucester and Bath road pass through it.
There are several good houses inhabited by families
of respectability, and shops abundantly supplied; and a
market is held every Saturday at Mill-End. The woollen manufacture was established here at a very early
period, and about 800 persons are now employed in the
manufacture of superfine woollen-cloths and kerseymeres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £32. 14. 9½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev.
Thomas Peters: the tithes have been commuted for
£525, and the glebe comprises 62 acres. The church is
a venerable structure, with a tower, and within the few
last years has been enlarged by the addition of a vestryroom, and entirely new-pewed and beautified. The parsonage-house, a very ancient building, was taken down
in 1832, and an elegant house erected on a more elevated
site. There are places of worship for Baptists and
Wesleyans; and national schools endowed with the interest of £537. The Duke of Buckingham, who was
beheaded in the reign of Henry VIII., had a large house
in the parish, which during the civil war was garrisoned
by the parliament.
East-Leach-Martin, or Bouthrop (St. Mary)
EAST-LEACH-MARTIN, or Bouthrop (St.
Mary), a parish, in the union of Northleach, hundred of Brightwells-Barrow, E. division of the
county of Gloucester, 4 miles (N.) from Lechlade;
containing 186 inhabitants. It comprises 1900 acres
by measurement. There are quarries of stone for building and fencing, and for the roads; shells of various
kinds, but chiefly of the cockle, are found imbedded
in it. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £10, and in the patronage of the Crown; net
East-Leach-Turville (St. Andrew)
EAST-LEACH-TURVILLE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Northleach, hundred of Brightwells-Barrow, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Lechlade; containing
421 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 2400
acres: stone for building and other purposes is quarried.
The living is a perpetual curacy, net income, £66;
patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of
Gloucester. The church is an extremely small building,
with a fine Norman arch at the entrance. A school is
partly supported by subscription. The Roman Ikeneldstreet enters the parish on the east from Oxfordshire,
and joins the fosse-way at Cirencester. In Churchlane is a mineral spring, which is strongly cathartic.
EASTLEY, a tything, in the parish and union of
South Stoneham, hundred of Mansbridge, Southampton and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Southampton; containing
Eastling (St. Mary)
EASTLING (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Faversham, Upper division of the lathe of
Scray, E. division of Kent, 5 miles (S. W.) from
Faversham; containing 437 inhabitants. It comprises
1915 acres: the surface is hilly; the greater portion
arable, and the remainder woodland and pasture, the
wood covering 428 acres. A fair is held on the 14th of
September. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £16, and in the patronage of the Earl of Winchilsea: the tithes have been commuted for £500, and
there are 36 acres of glebe.
EASTLOUND, a hamlet, in the parish of Haxey,
union of Gainsborough, W. division of the wapentake
of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln;
containing 158 inhabitants. It lies half a mile east of
the village of Haxey, and is distant westward from the
river Trent about a mile.
EASTMEAD-STREET, a tything, in the parish,
union, and hundred of Calne, Chippenham and Calne,
and N. divisions of Wilts; with 450 inhabitants.
EASTMOORE, a hamlet, in the parish of BartonBendish, union of Downham, hundred of Clackclose,
W. division of Norfolk, 2¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from
Stoke-Ferry; containing 106 inhabitants. The hamlet
includes a tract of fenny land and common, inclosed in
1777, and now under cultivation. It had a chapel dedicated to St. John the Baptist, which at the time of the
Reformation was converted into a farmhouse.
Eastnor (St. John the Baptist)
EASTNOR (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in
the union of Ledbury, hundred of Radlow, county of
Hereford, 2¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Ledbury; containing 500 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the
borders of Worcestershire and Gloucestershire, the former bounding it on the east and the latter on the south;
it is intersected by the road from Cheltenham to Hereford, and comprises 3185a. 1r. 3p., of which 776 acres
are waste. The arable, pasture, and wood, are in nearly
equal portions; and the surface is strikingly diversified
with hills of every variety of form and elevation, which,
being mostly covered with plantations, give it an aspect
of richness and beauty: there are numerous springs.
The substratum is a grey limestone, in which shells are
found thickly imbedded; it exists in large masses, and,
being susceptible of a high polish, is much used for
chimney-pieces. Eastnor Castle, the residence of Earl
Somers, has been rebuilt at an immense expense, on the
plan of an ancient baronial castle. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 19. 5.,
and in the gift of the Earl: the rectorial tithes have
been commuted for £360, and certain impropriate
tithes for £100; the glebe comprises 61a. 3p. The
church, which is in the early English style, contains
several handsome monuments of marble to the Cocks
family. There are some ancient intrenchments in the
parish, and to the east are remains of a castle, consisting
of the mote and one of the towers. The place gives the
inferior title of Viscount to Earl Somers.
EASTOFT, a chapelry, in the parish of Crowle,
union of Thorne, W. division of the wapentake of
Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3 miles
(N. E.) from Crowle; containing 282 inhabitants. This
is a pleasant place on the south side of the small channel
of the Old Don river, opposite a village of the same
name in Yorkshire. The township comprises 1273a.
1r. 2p. The tithes were commuted for land in 1813.
EASTOFT, a township, in the parish of Adlingfleet, union of Goole, Lower division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, 10 miles
(S. S. E.) from Howden; containing 82 inhabitants. It
comprises, with the adjoining township of Haldenby,
about 1490 acres, of which 300 acres are uncultivated
land, but in process of warping. The village is on the
Old Don river. The tithes were commuted for land,
under an inclosure act, in 1774; and under the recent
act were further commuted for £66, of which £49. 10.
are payable to the vicar, and £16. 10. to an impropriator.
EASTON, a tything, in the parish of Welford,
union of Newbury, hundred of Faircross, county of
Berks; containing 162 inhabitants.
Easton (St. Peter)
EASTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred of
Leightonstone, union and county of Huntingdon,
3½ miles (N. E.) from Kimbolton; containing 186 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, not in charge, in
the patronage of the Bishop of Ely; net income, £68.
The town lands produce a rental of £57. 10., which sum,
with other contributions, together about £70, is distributed among the poor.
EASTON, a hamlet, in the parish of South Stoke,
union of Grantham, wapentake of Winnibriggs and
Threo, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 1½
mile (N.) from Colsterworth; containing 179 inhabitants. The tithes were commuted for land and a money
payment in 1806. The chapel is in ruins.
Easton (St. Peter)
EASTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Forehoe, E. division of Norfolk,
6¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Norwich; containing 279 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1566 acres, of
which 1140 are arable, 170 pasture, and 256 wood.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £7. 11. 10½.; patron, E. R. Fellowes, Esq.:
the great tithes have been commuted for £31, and the
small for £170; the vicar has also a glebe of 29 acres.
The church is an ancient edifice, with a campanile
turret, replacing a tower which fell down in 1778.
There is a place of worship for Baptists. Cardinal Easton, who flourished in the reign of Richard II., was a
native of the parish.
Easton (All Saints)
EASTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Stamford, hundred of Willybrook, N. division of
the county of Northampton, 2½ miles (S. W. by S.)
from Stamford; containing 883 inhabitants. The parish
is on the road from Stamford to Kettering, and comprises by measurement 3300 acres: there are quarries
of building-stone and slate. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £19. 8. 9.; net income,
£440; patron, the Marquess of Exeter. The tithes
were commuted for land and a corn-rent in 1817. There
is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Here is a free
school, endowed by R. Garford, in 1670, with houses
producing a rental of £65.
EASTON, a tything, in the city and union of Wells,
hundred of Wells-Forum, E. division of Somerset;
containing 273 inhabitants. Here is a church, which
is in the gift of the Vicar of Wells.
Easton (St. Mary)
EASTON (St. Mary), a parish, on the south bank of
the river Itchen, in the union of Winchester, hundred
of Fawley, Winchester and N. divisions of the county
of Southampton, 2¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from Winchester; containing 505 inhabitants. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 6. 8.: it is
described in Domesday book as part of the possessions
of the Bishop of Winchester, who is still patron, and
who possesses a farm in the parish. The tithes have
been commuted for £620, and the glebe contains nearly
5 acres. The church is ancient, and worthy of notice
from the apse of its chancel, specimens of the horseshoe
arch, and an ornamental Norman doorway: its windows were originally the narrow ones of the crypts
of Normandy, but, with one exception, they have been
replaced by others, or much altered. The parsonage,
previous to the Reformation, was the residence of the
monks of Hyde Abbey, Winchester; most of the original building still remains, though much modernised.
The churchwardens are in receipt of the proceeds of
some land, but by whom left is unknown.
Easton (All Saints)
EASTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Plomesgate, hundred of Loes, E. division of Suffolk,
2¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Wickham-Market; containing
415 inhabitants. This was the residence of the families
of Wingfield and Nassau, and Easton Park is now a seat
of the Duke of Hamilton's. The parish comprises by
measurement 1444 acres. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 18. 6½., and
in the gift of his Grace: the tithes have been commuted
for £320, and the glebe comprises 23 acres. The church
is a handsome structure in the decorated English style,
with a square embattled tower surmounted by an octagonal turret; in the chancel are brasses to the Wingfields, and there are good monuments to the late Earl of
Rochford and his brother.
Easton (Holy Trinity)
EASTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of
Pewsey, hundred of Kinwardstone, Everley and
Pewsey, and S. divisions of Wilts, 3¼ miles (E. by N.)
from Pewsey; containing 532 inhabitants. A priory
was founded at this place in the reign of Henry III., by
Stephen, Archdeacon of Salisbury, for canons of the
Trinitarian order, for the redemption of captives; it
flourished till the Dissolution, when its revenues amounted
to £55. 14. 4. The parish comprises by computation
2200 acres: a pleasure-fair is held on Trinity-Monday.
The living is a royal donative, in the patronage of the
Marquess of Ailesbury, who pays the chaplain. The
church was built by Edward, Earl of Hertford, son of
the Protector, in 1591, at a short distance from the site
of the priory, which, with its church and conventual
buildings, had been previously destroyed. There is a
place of worship for Wesleyans.
EASTON, a hamlet, in the parish and union of
Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of
York, 1¼ mile (W.) from Bridlington; containing 17
inhabitants. It is on the road from Bridlington to Caythorpe, and comprises 800 acres of land.
Easton-Bavents (St. Nicholas)
EASTON-BAVENTS (St. Nicholas), a parish, in
the union and hundred of Blything, E. division of
Suffolk, 1 mile (N. N.E.) from Southwold; containing
11 inhabitants. This place, which is by antiquaries
identified with the Extensio of Ptolemy, was formerly the
most eastern point of land in the kingdom; but the
promontory called Easton Ness has long since been
washed away by the sea, which has made great encroachments on this part of the coast; and the church
and an ancient chapel, with the greater portion of the
parish, have disappeared. A market was granted to
Thomas de Bavent, from whom the place takes the
affix to its name. The parish now comprises only 300
acres, by measurement; the scenery is in many parts
highly picturesque, and on the north side of the parish
is a fine sheet of water called Easton Broad. The living
is a discharged rectory, consolidated with the rectory of
Binacre, and valued in the king's books at £6.
Easton, Great (St. John)
EASTON, GREAT (St. John), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 2½
miles (N. N. W.) from Dunmow; containing 929 inhabitants. It is situated near the river Chelmer, and comprises by survey 2537 acres, of which about two-thirds
are arable; the lands are in a high state of cultivation,
and the surrounding country abounds with pleasing
scenery. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £18. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Viscount
Maynard: the tithes have been commuted for £740,
and there are 84 acres of glebe. The church is an ancient edifice, containing some details of Norman architecture, especially in the south porch, which has a fine
semicircular doorway. In 1759, Rebecca Mead bequeathed land now producing £38 per annum, for
clothing and teaching girls; and in 1761, Charles, Lord
Maynard, endowed a school.
EASTON, GREY, a parish, in the union of Malmesbury, hundred of Chippenham, Malmesbury and Kingswood, and N. divisions of Wilts, 3½ miles (W.) from
Malmesbury; containing 165 inhabitants. The parish
comprises by measurement 1046 acres, of which the
surface is flat, and the soil generally a stone brash; the
village is situated on the road from Bristol to Malmesbury, on the side of a hill sloping towards the river
Avon. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the
king's books at £6. 0. 5., and in the gift of the Rev. W.
S. Birch: the tithes have been commuted for £265, and
the glebe comprises nearly 25 acres. The church, with
the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1838. An
almshouse for six women is endowed with £50 per
Easton-In-Gordano (St. George)
EASTON-IN-GORDANO (St. George), a parish,
in the union of Bedminster, hundred of Portbury,
E. division of Somerset, 6 miles (W. N. W.) from Bristol; containing, with the hamlet of Crockerne-Pill, 2199
inhabitants. The parish comprises 1570 acres, whereof
300 consist of common lands; and is situated on the
navigable river Avon, which divides Easton on the
north-east from the county of Gloucester, and falls into
the Bristol Channel to the north of it. Building-stone
abounds. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the
patronage of the Prebendary of Easton in the Cathedral
of Wells, and valued in the king's books at £5. 9. 4½.:
the great tithes have been commuted for £60, and the
vicarial for £269. 12. 6. The church is a modern building, excepting the steeple, which is of ancient date.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and at the
south-eastern extremity of the parish was a chapel, the
site of which is still called Chapel Pill. Bishop Bull was
for some time vicar of Easton.
EASTON, LITTLE, a parish, in the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 2½ miles (N. W.)
from Dunmow; containing 343 inhabitants. The village is pleasingly situated on the margin of the river
Chelmer, over which is a wooden bridge. The manor,
after being for many generations in the possession of
numerous distinguished families, was granted by Queen
Elizabeth to the ancestor of Viscount Maynard, the
present proprietor, whose elegant seat, Easton Lodge,
was burnt down in 1847. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £10, and in the gift of his Lordship: the tithes have been commuted for £316, and the
glebe comprises 58 acres. The church, a fine edifice
with a tower, is of considerable antiquity; and on the
south side of the chancel is a chapel, formerly belonging
to the Bourchier family, and which contains several
splendid monuments to the Maynards.
Easton Magna (St. Andrew)
EASTON MAGNA (St. Andrew), a parish, in the
union of Uppingham, hundred of Gartree, S. division
of the county of Leicester, 8¼ miles (E. N. E.) from
Market-Harborough; containing 600 inhabitants. The
parish comprises 2277a. 3r. 39p., and is situated on the
borders of the counties of Rutland and Northampton,
from which latter it is separated by the river Welland.
The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean
and Chapter of Peterborough: an allotment of 195a. 1r.
2p. of land, and a money payment, were assigned in
lieu of the great tithes, under an inclosure act passed in
1804; and the vicarial glebe consists of 78a. 29p. The
church was repaired and repewed in 1832. There are
places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; and
a school endowed with £5 per annum. The poor annually receive clothing at the cost of £30, and also £15,
the rent of an allotment which was made under the inclosure act.
Easton-Maudit (St. Peter and St. Paul)
EASTON-MAUDIT (St. Peter and St. Paul), a
parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of
Higham-Ferrers, N. division of the county of Northampton, 10½ miles (E. by S.) from Northampton; containing 214 inhabitants. The parish was formerly the
property of the family of Yelverton, viscounts Longueville and earls of Sussex. It is situated on the borders
of Buckinghamshire, which bounds it on the south,
and the road between Wellingborough and Olney runs
on the east; the area consists of 1764a. 2r. 29p. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books
at £6; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons
of Christ-Church, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £122, and the glebe comprises 9 acres. The
church has a spire of remarkably elegant form, ornamented at its base with flying buttresses, and contains
some handsome monuments to the Yelverton family,
judges and attorneys-general in the reigns of Elizabeth
and James; also a monument to Morton, Bishop of Durham, who, during the parliamentary war, sought refuge
at Easton House, where he died. Dr. Percy, Bishop of
Dromore, author of Reliques of Ancient Poetry, was at
one time vicar.
Easton-Neston (St. Mary)
EASTON-NESTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Towcester, hundred of Cleley, S. division
of the county of Northampton, 1¼ mile (E.) from Towcester; containing 169 inhabitants. It is situated on
the left bank of the river Tow, and consists of 1710
acres, of the full average quality in productiveness.
Here is the seat of the Earl of Pomfret, a handsome
mansion partly erected by Sir Christopher Wren, and
partly by Hawkesmoor, but which has since undergone
considerable alterations. The living is a vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £8; net income, £151; patron,
the Earl of Pomfret; impropriators, the Warden and Fellows of New College, Oxford. The church has some
EASTON-PIERCY, a tything, in the parish of
Kington St. Michael, union of Chippenham, N.
division of the hundred of Damerham, Chippenham
and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts; containing 41
inhabitants. John Aubrey, the antiquary, who is said
to have assisted Dugdale in collecting materials for the
Monasticon, was born here in 1629.