EASTRIDGE, a tything, in the parish and hundred
of Ramsbury, union of Hungerford, N. division of
Wilts, 6 miles (N. W. by N.) from Hungerford; containing 173 inhabitants.
Eastrington (St. Michael)
EASTRINGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Howden, in Howdenshire, E. riding of York,
containing, with the townships of Bellasize, Gilberdike,
Newport-Wallingfen, and Portingten with Cairl, 2076
inhabitants, of whom 405 are in the township of Eastrington, 3½ miles (E. N. E.) from Howden. The parish
comprises by computation 8000 acres, of which about
7200 are arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture; the soil is for the most part a strong clay, the
surface flat: corn is grown in great abundance, and
numerous orchards produce, among other fruits, vast
quantities of apples. At Newport is a large manufactory for bricks, draining-tiles, and chimney-pots. The
Hull and Selby railway passes near the village, where
is a station. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £12. 9. 7., and in the patronage
of the Crown, with a net income of £202, and a vicaragehouse; impropriators, several landowners: the tithes
were mostly commuted for land and money payments,
under an inclosure act, in 1813. The church is an
ancient edifice with a tower, and contains a monument
of a Knight Templar. There is a place of worship for
Wesleyans. In 1726, Joseph Hewley gave land now
producing £28 a year, for the support of a school; and
the poor have about £13 per annum arising from various
EASTRIP, an extra-parochial liberty, in the hundred
of Bruton, E. division of Somerset, 2 miles from
Bruton; containing 13 inhabitants, and comprising 594
acres of land.
EASTROP, a parish, in the union and hundred of
Basingstoke, Basingstoke and N. divisions of the county
of Southampton, ½ a mile (N.) from Basingstoke;
containing 94 inhabitants. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £2, and in the
gift of the Trustees of the late George Glover, Esq.: the
tithes have been commuted for £85.
EASTROP, a tything, in the parish of Highworth,
union of Highworth and Swindon, hundred of
Highworth, Cricklade, and Staple, Swindon and
N. divisions of Wilts; containing 544 inhabitants.
Eastry (St. Mary)
EASTRY (St. Mary), a parish, and the head of a
union, partly in the hundred of Downhamford, but
chiefly in that of Eastry, lathe of St. Augustine, E.
division of Kent, 2¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Sandwich;
containing 1629 inhabitants. During the Saxon era this
place appears to have been held in royal demesne. It
received from Henry VI., in the 28th year of his reign,
the grant of a market on Tuesday, and a fair on the festival of St. Matthew, Sept. 21st: the fair is at present
held on the 2nd of October, and is principally for the
sale of horses, sheep, and pigs. The village is situated
on the road from Sandwich to Dovor, by Waldershare.
The parish consists of 2715 acres, of which 32 are in
wood. The living is a vicarage, with that of Worth
annexed, valued in the king's books at £19. 12. 1.;
patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury; appropriators,
the Dean and Chapter. The great tithes have been
commuted for £910, and the vicarial for £310; the
impropriate glebe comprises 52a. 1r., and the vicarial
3 roods, attached to the vicarage-house. The church is
a spacious and handsome edifice, consisting of a nave,
aisles, and chancel, with a tower, and appears to have
been built in the 12th century; it contains a tablet to
the memory of Capt. John Harvey, who was mortally
wounded in the action on the 1st of June, 1794, when
holding the honourable post of second to Earl Howe,
commander-in-chief. There is a place of worship for
Wesleyans. Six almshouses were built (and endowed
with £2000 three per cent. consols.) by the late Wm.
Fulke Greville, Esq., in 1834, on an eligible plot of land
provided by voluntary contributions; and in the year
following, Mr. Greville made a donation of £666. 13.
in the same stock, directing the dividends to be divided
between two aged inhabitants. Near the village is a
commodious edifice formerly the house of industry for
16 united parishes; of late, spacious buildings have
been added, and it is now the workhouse for the union
of Eastry, which comprises 30 parishes, and contains a
population of 23,928. Not far from the church is
Eastry Court, an old mansion, in which Thomas à
Becket, after his flight from Northampton in 1164,
concealed himself for eight days before he embarked at
Sandwich for France: it has the remains of a chapel.
In 1792, on digging a cellar in a garden on the east
side of the turnpike-road between Eastry Cross and
Butsole, a burial-ground was discovered, probably of
Roman origin, in which, on opening several graves, were
found skeletons, fibulæ, beads, umbones of shields, and
other relics, and in one a glass vessel. Henry de Eastry,
first a monk, and then prior, of Christ-Church, Canterbury, and noted for his superior learning, was a native
of the parish.
EAST-VILLE, a township, in the union of Spilsby,
E. division of the soke of Bolingbroke, parts of
Lindsey, county of Lincoln; containing 142 inhabitants. The township, with six others, was made such
by act of parliament in 1812, on the occasion of a very
extensive drainage of fen lands, and is not dependent on
any parish. A church was built in 1840.
Eastwell (St. Mary)
EASTWELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
East Ashford, hundred of Wye, lathe of Shepway,
E. division of Kent, 3¼ miles (N.) from Ashford; containing 106 inhabitants. The parish comprises 894
acres, of which about 70 are arable, 370 meadow and
pasture, 95 wood, and the remainder park land; the
surface is elevated, and the soil clay, alternated with
chalk, which latter prevails in the northern part. Eastwell Park, the seat of the Earl of Winchilsea, is a handsome residence, in the grounds of which is a spring, the
source of a stream that flows into the river Stour. The
living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books
at £9. 16. 8., and in the gift of the Earl: the tithes
have been commuted for £189. 13., and the glebe comprises 23 acres. The church is an ancient structure,
completely restored and beautified by the Earl of Winchilsea, in 1844; it contains a tomb in memory of
Richard Plantagenet, natural son to King Richard III.,
and who, having fled hither after the battle of Bosworth,
was protected by Sir Thomas Moyle, lord of the manor,
at a small house erected by his permission, and died in
1550, at the age of eighty-one. The rectory-house was
lately considerably improved by the incumbent.
Eastwell (St. Michael)
EASTWELL (St. Michael), a parish, in the union
of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland, N.
division of the county of Leicester, 3 miles (N. W.)
from Waltham; containing 131 inhabitants. It is
about three miles from the road between Grantham
and Melton-Mowbray, and 3½ miles from the Nottingham and Grantham canal, which passes through the
neighbouring parish of Harby. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £9. 12. 1., and in the
patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £372:
the glebe consists of about 250 acres. Here is a Roman
Eastwick (St. Botolph)
EASTWICK (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union
of Ware, hundred of Braughin, county of Hertford,
4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Sawbridgeworth; containing 173 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £7. 11. 8.; net income, £210;
patrons, the Ward family.
Eastwood (St. Lawrence and All Saints)
EASTWOOD (St. Lawrence and all Saints), a
parish, in the union and hundred of Rochford, S. division of Essex, 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Rochford;
containing 596 inhabitants. This parish, which derives
its name from its relative situation to the neighbouring
woods, is intersected by the road from London to
Southend, and comprises 3202 acres, of which 175 are
waste or common. The living is a vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £12, and in the patronage of the
Crown; net income, £219; impropriator, Robert Bristow, Esq., who has considerable property in the neighbourhood. The church is an ancient structure with a
tower and spire, and consists of two aisles and a chancel,
separated by massive pillars.
Eastwood (St. Mary)
EASTWOOD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Basford, S. division of the wapentake of Broxtow,
N. division of the county of Nottingham, 9 miles
(N. W. by W.) from Nottingham; containing 1621 inhabitants. It is on the road from Mansfield to Derby,
and comprises 900a. 2r. 4p. The population is partly
employed in the weaving of stockings, and in some mines
of coal, for which facilities of conveyance are afforded by
the Nottingham, Erewash, and Cromford canals, which
pass through the parish. The village is pleasantly
situated on an eminence, and about half a mile to the
west of it is Langley Bridge over the river Erewash,
erected in 1830, and which gives name to a large village
partly in the county of Derby. A cattle-fair is held
annually. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in
the king's books at £4. 13. 1½.; net income, £360;
patron, J. P. Plumptre, Esq.; incumbent, the Rev. H.
Western Plumptre: the tithes were commuted for 166
acres of land in 1791. The church, rebuilt in 1760, is a
neat edifice. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
EATHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Wappenbury, union of Warwick, Southam division of the hundred of Knightlow, S. division of Warwickshire,
5½ miles (N. N. W.) from Southam; containing 175
inhabitants, and comprising 516 acres of a fertile soil.
The Roman Fosse-way crossed it from south to north,
and the river Leam, after being joined here by the
Watergall stream, encircles it on the north and west.
Eatington (St. Thomas à Becket)
EATINGTON (St. Thomas à Becket), a parish,
in the union of Stratford-upon-Avon, Kington division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county
of Warwick, 6 miles (N.) from Shipston-on-Stour, containing 704 inhabitants. The parish is divided into
Upper and Lower Eatington, the former of which contains the greater portion of the population. Sir William
Dugdale observes of Lower Eatington, that it is "the
only place in the county which glories in an uninterrupted succession of its owners for so long a tract of
time, Henry de Ferrers (progenitor of the earls Ferrers), having possessed it from the Conquest, and his
descendants in the male line ever since." Until the
reign of Henry III. it was the principal seat of the
family, but they afterwards fixed it at Shirley, in Derbyshire, and assumed their surname from that place.
Eatington is situated on the roads from Stratford-on-Avon to Banbury and from Warwick to Stow, and comprises, exclusively of roads, 3441 acres, whereof 1088 are
pasture, 2243 arable, and 110 woodland; the soil is clay
of the blue lias formation, and the surface beautifully
undulated and diversified, with the rounded swell peculiar to blue lias. There are quarries of blue limestone,
which, though used, is of an inferior description, whether
for roads or buildings; a bed of white limestone, lying
underneath, and found near the surface in some places,
is much better for both purposes, and is consequently
more generally wrought.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £12. 0. 7½., and in the patronage of Evelyn
John Shirley, Esq.; net income, about £150: impropriator, the Rev. C. Grave. 121½ acres of land were
allotted in lieu of the vicarial tithes on the inclosure,
in 1798; and 10 acres were more recently added, conveyed by the patron, and towards the purchase of which
the Commissioners of Queen Anne's Bounty contributed:
on this ground a glebe house and offices were erected by
the patron. The church is a plain substantial edifice,
built by the late Evelyn Shirley, Esq., at Upper Eatington, about the period of the inclosure: the ancient
church, at Lower Eatington, now in ruins, was erected
by an ancestor of the family; a part of it has been fitted
up as a private chapel. The Baptists, Wesleyans, and
Society of Friends have places of worship; and a
national school is supported by Mr. and Mrs. Shirley.
The Roman Fosse road passes for more than a mile and
a half through the parish; and near it some Roman remains have been discovered.
EATON, a township, in the parish of Appleton,
union of Abingdon, hundred of Ock, county of Berks,
5¾ miles (N. W. by N.) from the town of Abingdon; containing 127 inhabitants.
EATON, a township, in the parish of Eccleston,
union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester,
3¾ miles (S.) from Chester; containing 64 inhabitants.
The manor was given by Leofric, Earl of Mercia, in the
time of Edward the Confessor, to the monks of Coventry.
In the reign of Henry III., Hamon de Pulford, being
lord, settled half of it on his son, Richard, who assumed
the name of Eaton, and his descendants appear to have
been possessed of the whole manor, which, in the reign of
Henry V., passed in marriage with the heiress of John
Eaton to Ralph, second son of Sir Thomas Grosvenor,
who continued the male line of that family, and was the
ancestor of the present noble possessor. The township
comprises 971 acres, of a clayey soil, and is situated on
the river Dee, near which stands Eaton Hall, the
princely residence of the Marquess of Westminster.
This superb mansion, of which the prevailing style is the
Gothic, is of modern erection, with the exception of the
vaulted basement and a portion of the original edifice;
it is of light-coloured stone, and has two fronts, each of
which consists of a spacious centre of three stories,
finished with octagonal turrets, buttresses, and pinnacles placed between large wings with similar ornaments.
The entrance to the western front is under a lofty
vaulted portico, leading by a magnificent flight of steps
to the great hall; and on the eastern side is another
noble flight of steps, terminating in three rich arches
that form the middle of a beautiful vaulted cloister,
which spreads along the whole centre and connects the
wings with each other. The vast interior of the building
is in correspondence with the architectural grandeur of
its exterior: the dining, drawing, and other state rooms
are of noble dimensions, and decorated and furnished in
the most costly manner; the library is fitted up with
elaborately carved oak, and abounds in ancient and
valuable manuscripts. The entrance to the grand
saloon is through the arches already mentioned; this
sumptuous apartment looks down upon a terrace upwards of 350 feet in length, whence is seen one of the
richest landscapes that the Dee presents in its course
through the county. The plantations are extensive;
and the grounds, laid out with exquisite taste, are enlivened by an artificial inlet of the Dee: the stables
form a great quadrangle, and there are two lodges, in the
Gothic style, with avenues of venerable trees, leading to
EATON, a township, in the parish of Tarporley,
union of Nantwich, First division of the hundred of
Eddisbury, S. division of the county of Chester, 1½
mile (E. N. E.) from Tarporley, containing 525 inhabitants. This manor, which was granted by John Scott,
Earl of Chester, to Hugh Fitton, was afterwards successively in the Greys, earls of Kent, and the Hintons,
and appears to have been subsequently in the family of
Done. The township lies east of the road from Tarporley to Warrington, and comprises 1251 acres, of
a strong soil. The tithes of Eaton, with those of Utkinton and Rushton, have been commuted for £509. 5.
Schools are partly supported by endowment.
EATON, a township, in the parish of Astbury,
union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of
the county of Chester, 2 miles (N. N. E.) from Congleton; containing 535 inhabitants. This place is said to
have had no manor, and no mention of one occurs in ancient records. It comprises 1167 acres, of a sandy and
clayey soil; and lies on the west side of the river Dane,
and on the road from Congleton to Macclesfield. A short
distance from the village is Eaton Hall, long a seat of the
EATON, a township, in the parish of Davenham,
union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the
county of Chester, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Northwich;
containing 11 inhabitants. The manor, anciently Ayton,
was at an early period in moieties between the family of
Praers (succeeded by the Mainwarings) and that of
Bulkeley. In the reign of Henry VIII. the latter sold
their estate to the Breretons, who seem eventually to
have possessed the whole manor, which afterwards
passed by successive sales to the Lindseys and Cholmondeleys. The township lies east of the river Weaver,
and comprises 401 acres, of a loamy and clayey soil.
The tithes have been commuted for £5. 6. 8.
Eaton, Derbyshire.—See Alsop-le-Dale.
EATON, Derbyshire.—See Alsop-le-Dale.
EATON, a township, in the parish and union of
Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford; containing 59 inhabitants.
Eaton (St. Denis)
EATON (St. Denis), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland, N. division of
the county of Leicester, 8 miles (N. N. E.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 404 inhabitants. It comprises 1719a. 3r. 29p., of which about 300 acres are
pasture, and the rest arable, with the exception of 22
acres of woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £7. 11. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £83; impropriators,
C. M. Morley and J. Rogers, Esqrs. The tithes were
commuted for land in 1769. The Wesleyans have a
place of worship; and there are some small bequests
for distribution among the poor.
Eaton, or Idletown (All Saints)
EATON, or Idletown (All Saints), a parish, in
the union of East Retford, South-Clay division of the
wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of
Nottingham, 2¼ miles (S.) from East Retford; containing 189 inhabitants. This place was of some importance prior to the Norman Conquest. The parish
immediately adjoins the great north road, and comprises
by admeasurement 1485 acres, whereof about 100 acres
are woodland, chiefly of oak, and the remainder arable
and pasture in nearly equal portions; the soil is generally
a strong clay, and the surface undulated. The village
is divided by the river Idle into two parts, connected by
a bridge. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £4. 13. 4., and in the gift of the
Archbishop of York, with a net income of £80: the
tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in
1809. The church is a small, plain, ancient edifice, with
a campanile turret.
EATON, a township, in the parish of Stoke-upon-Tern, union of Market-Drayton, Drayton division of
the hundred of North Bradford, N. division of the
county of Salop, 6 miles (N. W.) from Newport; containing 127 inhabitants. It comprises 6201 acres, of
which 73 are waste or common.
Eaton (St. Edith)
EATON (St. Edith), a parish, in the union of
Church-Stretton, and within the liberty of the borough of Wenlock, S. division of Salop, 4¼ miles
(S. E. by E.) from Church-Stretton; containing 579 inhabitants. This parish, which was anciently appendant
to the abbey of Wenlock, comprises by measurement
6004 acres; the surface is hilly, and the soil heathy,
affording chiefly rough pasture. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5;
patron and incumbent, the Rev. Richard Sandford; impropriators, the family of Eaton, and others. The tithes
have been commuted for £178. 10., and the glebe comprises 148 acres. The church is an ancient structure,
in the decorated English style; the roof of the chancel
is of oak, richly embellished.
Eaton, Bishop (St. Michael)
EATON, BISHOP (St. Michael), a parish, in the
hundred of Webtree, union and county of Hereford,
6 miles (W.) from Hereford; containing 434 inhabitants. It comprises 2081a. 10p., of which 1192 acres are
arable, 786 pasture, 62 woodland, and 40 common.
The surface is undulated, and the scenery in many parts
picturesque, embracing beautiful views of the river Wye,
which runs through the parish; the soil is a red marl.
Sugwas, an ancient palace of the bishops of Hereford, is
situated here. The living is a discharged rectory, valued
in the king's books at £13; net income, £444; patron,
the Bishop: the glebe contains nearly 35 acres, with a
house. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and
a school is supported by property bequeathed by the late
Mr. Edward Goff, of London. The remains of a Roman
encampment are still visible, on the right bank of the
Eaton, Bray (St. Mary)
EATON, BRAY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Luton, hundred of Manshead, county of Bedford,
3½ miles (W. by S.) from Dunstable; containing 1097
inhabitants. The manor was given by King John to
Ardulphus de Braci, and not long afterwards belonged to
the Cantilupes, who built a castle in 1221, which the
Chronicle of Dunstable represents as very injurious to
that town. In 1273 it passed by a female heir to the
family of Zouche; and it is supposed to have been
forfeited by attainder, and to have been granted to Sir
Reginald Bray. The parish lies on the south-west border
of the county. The living is a vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £12. 16. 3.; net income, £189; patrons,
the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Eaton, Church (St. Edith)
EATON, CHURCH (St. Edith), a parish, in the
union of Penkridge, hundred of Cuttlestone, S.
division of the county of Stafford, 7 miles (S. W. by W.)
from Stafford; containing 743 inhabitants. It comprises about 4000 acres, principally arable land; the soil
is generally fertile, being a strong loam both in the meadows and uplands. The Liverpool and Birmingham
canal passes through. The village, which is long, consists
chiefly of one street of detached and well-built houses.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£14. 19. 9½., and in the patronage of the Earl Talbot:
the tithes have been commuted for £750, and there are
90 acres of glebe. The church is an ancient structure,
with a low tower supporting a spire of modern erection;
the south side of the edifice, also, appears to have been
rebuilt in later times, from the square form of its windows. A grammar school of unknown origin has from
an early period possessed several houses and other buildings, with about 92 acres of land in Church and Wood
Eaton, now producing £170 per annum; it is free to all
the boys of the parish. The Gnosall and Church-Eaton
charity estate consists of about 33 acres of land, let for
£42. 11. 10. per annum, which is divided among the
poor of those places. Mr. Henry Crocket, in 1780, gave
£200, since invested in land producing about £20 per
annum, also distributed in small sums to the necessitous.
Eaton-Constantine (St. Mary)
EATON-CONSTANTINE (St. Mary), a parish, in
the union of Atcham, Wellington division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 5¼
miles (N. N. W.) from Wenlock; containing 294 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south-west by the Severn,
and comprises 835a. 3r. 39p.; the surface rises gradually
from the river towards the north, and the soil in the
lower part is rich and fertile, but in the higher grounds
of inferior quality. Coal is wrought to a small extent;
and rough stone quarried for buildings and fences. The
living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Duke of
Cleveland: the rectorial tithes have been commuted for
£128; the glebe comprises 35 acres. There is also a
rent-charge of £48. 6. belonging to the vicar of Layton.
The church is a neat structure in good repair.