Felsham (St. Peter)
FELSHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Stow, hundred of Thedwastry, W. division of Suffolk, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Woolpit; containing 398
inhabitants, and comprising 1630a. 1r. 24p. A fair for
toys is held on the 16th of August. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 4. 7., and in
the gift of the Rev. T. Anderson: the tithes have been
commuted for £490, and the glebe comprises 8 acres.
Felsted (Holy Cross)
FELSTED (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of
Dunmow, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex,
4 miles (E. S. E.) from Dunmow; containing 1798 inhabitants. This parish, the name of which signifies "the
hilly place," is separated from Dunmow by the river
Chelmer; the soil is generally a strong wet loam, resting on a whitish clay marl. The living is a vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £13. 16. 8.; net income,
£396; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Mornington. The church, situated on elevated ground, is an
ancient edifice, with a square embattled tower surrounded
by a lantern of elegant design, and contains a superb
monument to the memory of Lord Rich, who, by letterspatent in the reign of Philip and Mary, founded an almshouse for three men and three women, under the superintendence of a chaplain: the chaplain, churchwardens,
and parishioners form a body corporate. In the reign
of Elizabeth, a free grammar school was founded in
connexion with the charity, and this respectable school
reckons among its alumni Oliver, Richard, and Henry,
sons of Cromwell, the Protector; and Drs. John Wallis
and Isaac Barrow.
Feltham (St. Dunstan)
FELTHAM (St. Dunstan), a parish, in the union of
Staines, hundred of Spelthorne, county of Middlesex, 4 miles (S. W.) from Hounslow; containing 1029
inhabitants. This place, which is noticed in Domesday
book, is supposed to have been originally called Feldham,
signifying "the field village." The manor and advowson
were given to the hospital of St. Giles without the Bars,
which grant was confirmed by Henry II. In 1634, the
manor-house and nearly the whole village were destroyed
by an accidental fire, when, also, the registers of the
parish were burnt. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £302;
patrons, the family of Morris; impropriators, the
family of Tousaint. The church was rebuilt in 1802,
and contains some interesting monuments.
Felthorpe (St. Margaret)
FELTHORPE (St. Margaret), a parish, in the
union of St. Faith, hundred of Taverham, E. division
of Norfolk, 7 miles (N. W. by N.) from Norwich;
containing 574 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 2240 acres, of which 1131 are arable, 537 pasture,
and 572 woodland. The living is a discharged rectory,
valued in the king's books at £4, and in the gift of the
Bishop of Norwich: the tithes have been commuted for
£270, and the glebe comprises 24 acres. At the inclosure, in 1790, 50 acres of land were allotted to the
poor; who have also 28 acres, and four houses, bequeathed by William Brereton in 1686.
Felton (St. Michael)
FELTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Bromyard, hundred of Broxash, county of Hereford, 8 miles (N. E. by N.) from Hereford; containing
113 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1800
acres; the surface is varied. The living is a discharged
vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and valued
in the king's books at £4. 12. 2.; net income, £207;
patron, Thomas Hill, Esq. The church is a very ancient
Felton (St. Michael)
FELTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Alnwick, comprising the townships of Felton, Elyhaugh, Swarland, Acton with Old Felton, and Greens
with Glantlees, in the E. division of Coquetdale ward;
and the townships of Bockenfield, Eshott, and East and
West Thriston with Shot-haugh, in the E., and Brinkburn South-Side, in the W., division of Morpeth ward;
N. division of Northumberland; the whole containing 1585 inhabitants, of whom 623 are in the township
of Felton, 9 miles (S.) from Alnwick. The parish consists of 14,687 acres, the soil of which is various, but
chiefly incumbent upon strong clay, and well suited for
the growth of grain: there are some seams of coal, but
none has been wrought of late years. Fairs for cattle,
sheep, &c., are held on the first Mondays in May and
November. The village is pleasantly situated on a
steep acclivity, which rises from the north side of the
Coquet river; the houses are built on each side of the
great north road, with the exception of a few that branch
off at the south end of the village, where the river is
crossed by a stone bridge of three arches. King John
caused a village here to be burnt, in 1216, as a punishment to the barons of Northumberland, who had done
honour on the spot to Alexander, King of Scotland.
The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of
Long Framlington annexed, valued in the king's books
at £3. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a
net income of £275; impropriator, Col. Davison. The
church stands on an eminence on the north side of the
Coquet, which winds beautifully through the parish.
There are a place of worship for Wesleyans, and a Roman Catholic chapel.
Felton, Somerset.—See Whitchurch.
FELTON, Somerset.—See Whitchurch.
FELTON, a tything, in the parish of Windford,
union of Bedminster, hundred of Hartcliffe with
Bedminster, E. division of the county of Somerset;
containing 246 inhabitants.
Felton, Old, with Acton.—See Acton.
FELTON, OLD, with Acton.—See Acton.
Felton, West (St. Michael)
FELTON, WEST (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Oswestry (under a local act), hundred of Oswestry, N. division of Salop, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from
Oswestry; containing 1087 inhabitants. The parish is
bounded by the small river Perry and the Ellesmere
canal, and intersected by the Holyhead road. It comprises 5985a. 38p.: the surface is generally level, with
some gentle undulations; the soil is various, in some
parts sand, in some clay, and in others a fertile loam.
There is a handsome sheet of water called Sandford
Pool. Stone is quarried for building. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 12. 6., and
in the gift of the Earl of Craven: the tithes have been
commuted for £1000, and the glebe comprises 39 acres.
The church was built in 1480. There are places of
worship for Independents and other dissenters; and a
school conducted on the national plan. In the hamlet
of Woolston is a remarkable well, dedicated to St.
Winifred. John Dovaston, Esq., a man of considerable
literary attainments, was born here in 1740.
Feltwell (St. Mary And St. Nicholas)
FELTWELL (St. Mary and St. Nicholas), consolidated parishes, in the union of Thetford, hundred of
Grimshoe, W. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (N. W.)
from Brandon; containing 1512 inhabitants. This district comprises about 14,600 acres, of which 5240 are
arable, 8000 pasture and fen, 235 woodland, and about
1100 common. Some of the inhabitants are employed
in the manufacture of bombasin and crape. A fair is
held on the 20th of November. The living is a united
rectory, valued in the king's books at £23. 17. 3½., and
in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Ely,
alternately: the tithes have been commuted for £1260,
and the glebe comprises 199 acres, with a handsome
house. The church dedicated to St. Mary is a spacious
structure in the early English style, with a massive
tower, and contains some ancient monuments and
effigies in brass; that dedicated to St. Nicholas is an
older edifice, with a circular tower and octagonal turret:
both have been thoroughly repaired. There is a place
of worship for Wesleyans. Sir Edward Mundeford bequeathed land for the foundation of a school and almshouses, of which the latter only have been erected: the
land, including an allotment at the inclosure, comprises
622 acres; but the expense of drainage has absorbed all
Fenby, county of Lincoln.—See Ashby.
FENBY, county of Lincoln.—See Ashby.
Fence, Lancashire.—See Booth, Old Laund.
FENCE, Lancashire.—See Booth, Old Laund.
FENCOT, a hamlet, in the parish of Charltonupon-Otmore, union of Bicester, hundred of Ploughley, county of Oxford, 4½ miles (S. by W.) from the
town of Bicester; containing 144 inhabitants.
FENHAM, a hamlet, in the parish of Holy-Island,
union of Berwick, in Islandshire, N. division of
Northumberland; containing 140 inhabitants.
FENHAM, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew,
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, union of Newcastle, W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland,
2 miles (W. N. W.) from Newcastle; containing 74
inhabitants. The manor belonged to the Knights Templars, and, with the rest of their property, was granted
in the 18th of Edward II. to the Knights Hospitallers.
The township is on the Chevy-Chase road to Edinburgh,
viâ Ponteland, Otterburn, Melrose, and Jedburgh; and
comprises 410 acres, of which 245 are pasture and
woodland, and the remainder arable. The tithes have
been commuted for £60. 12. 8., of which £12. 15. 4. are
payable to the vicar.
Feniton (St. Andrew)
FENITON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Honiton, hundred of Hayridge, Honiton and N. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Honiton; containing 315 inhabitants. Feniton bridge was the scene
of a sanguinary contest, in which Sir J. Russell and
Lord Grey defeated the Cornish insurgents, in the reign
of Edward VI. The parish comprises 1822 acres by
measurement, of which 1220 are arable, 450 pasture, 92
orchard, and 60 woodland; the soil is fertile. The
village is situated near the river Otter, about one mile
from the great western road. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £16. 18. 6½., and in the
gift, in turn, of Christopher Flood, Esq., G. B. Northcote, Esq., and Mrs. Woolly: the tithes have been commuted for £280, and the glebe comprises 70 acres. The
church, a venerable structure erected about the time of
Henry VII., contains a very rich wooden screen. A
Wesleyan meeting-house has been erected.
FENLAKE, a hamlet, in the township of Eastcotts,
parish of Cardington, hundred of Wixamtree, union
and county of Bedford; containing 138 inhabitants.
It is situated on the bank of the river Ouse.
Fenny-Compton, county of Warwick.—See Compton, Fenny.
FENNY-COMPTON, county of Warwick.—See
Compton, Fenny.—And all places having a similar
distinguishing prefix will be found under the proper name.
FENROTHER, a township, in the parochial chapelry
of Hebburn, union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 4 miles
(N. W. by N.) from Morpeth; containing 92 inhabitants.
This place was at an early period held under the barons
of Bothal, by the family of Fenrother. In the reign of
Henry III., and subsequently, the Herons had possessions here; and among other owners have been the
priors of Tynemouth, and the family of Woodman: it is
now the property of Mr. Woodman, and the Duke of
Portland. The township comprises 1414a. 3r. 25p., of
which 1094 acres are arable, 271 grass-land, and 49 wood;
the village consists of a small cluster of farmhouses and
cottages on a dry knoll, midway between the Berwick
and Wooler roads to Edinburgh. The tithes have been
commuted for £155. 6. 10.
Fen-Stanton (St. Peter and St. Paul)
FEN-STANTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of St. Ives, hundred of Toseland,
county of Huntingdon, 3 miles (S. by E.) from St.
Ives; containing 1032 inhabitants. This parish, which
is situated on the road from Cambridge to Huntingdon,
and on the river Ouse, comprises 2430 acres by admeasurement, whereof 1607 are arable, and 814 meadow
and pasture, resting for the most part on a gravelly
soil. The surface is generally flat, but rises into small
eminences towards the south. The living is a discharged
vicarage, with that of Hilton annexed, valued in the
king's books at £11. 11. 5½.; net income, £275; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Trinity Hall, Cambridge; impropriator, the Rev. L. Brown. The tithes
were commuted for land and a money payment in