Fenton, with Faugh.—See Faugh.
FENTON, with Faugh.—See Faugh.
FENTON, a parish, in the union of Newark, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln,
7¼ miles (E. S. E.) from Newark; containing 120 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Witham, and comprises by measurement 1207 acres; the soil is various.
The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the living
of Beckingham. The tithes were commuted for land at
the inclosure; the glebe altogether comprises 145a. 36p.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, which has been
enlarged at different periods, contains details of the
Norman, early English, and decorated English styles.
FENTON, a township, in the parish of Kettlethorpe, union of Gainsborough, wapentake of Well,
parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 9¾ miles (N. W.
by W.) from Lincoln; containing 253 inhabitants. The
tithes were commuted for land in 1765.
FENTON, a township, in the parish of Wooler,
union of Glendale, E. division of Glendale ward,
county of Northumberland, 4¾ miles (N. by W.) from
Wooler; containing 205 inhabitants. This township,
which once constituted a separate parish, but was united
to Wooler in 1313, is supposed to have been the place
where St. Ninian commenced his labours, about 420,
in converting the natives of Northumberland and the
south of Scotland to Christianity, having proceeded
from his own country, North Wales, for the purpose.
In confirmation of this conjecture, is the fact, that a
fair annually held here, on September 27th, for cattle,
sheep, and horses, has long been called St. Ninian's
fair; and an old well continues to be termed St. Ninian's
FENTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Sturton, union
of East Retford, North-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham; containing 74 inhabitants.
Fenton-Culvert, or Great Fenton
FENTON-CULVERT, or Great Fenton, an ecclesiastical district, in the borough and parish of Stokeupon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill
and of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from
Newcastle-under-Lyme. The township of Fenton-Culvert contains 3744 inhabitants; and the greater portion
of it, and the adjoining township of Fenton-Vivian,
form the ecclesiastical district. The soil generally is a
stiff clay, producing good wheat; coal and ironstone
are wrought, and the manufacture of pottery and china
is extensively carried on. The Trent and Mersey canal
passes through. Fenton Manor-house is an elegant
mansion on the summit of a spacious lawn, with beautiful gardens and pleasure-grounds, and commanding a
fine prospect to the south and west. The church was
built in 1838, principally by the bounty of the late Ralph
Bourne, Esq., who gave £2500 towards its erection,
and £1000 for its endowment. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, and
Methodists of the New Connexion; and attached to the
church is a national school.
FENTON, KIRK, a parish, in the union of Barwick (under Gilbert's act), Upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York; containing, with the township of Biggin, 608 inhabitants, of
whom 378 are in the township of Kirk-Fenton, 5 miles
(S. E. by S.) from Tadcaster, and 104 in that of Little
Fenton. The former township comprises by computation 1800 acres; the village is pleasantly situated, and
neatly built. The York and North-Midland railway
passes to the west of the township, and is here joined
by a line from Harrogate, opened in 1847. The living
is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Prebendary of Kirk-Fenton in the Cathedral of York,
valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; net income,
£125: the tithes were commuted for land and money
payments in 1770; the land comprises 260 acres. The
church is a neat ancient structure, repaired at different
periods; the roof is of peculiar construction. There is
a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Fenton-Vivian, or Little Fenton
FENTON-VIVIAN, or Little Fenton, a township,
in the borough and parish of Stoke-upon-Trent, N.
division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county
of Stafford, 2¼ miles (E.) from Newcastle; containing 1179 inhabitants.—See Fenton-Culvert.
FENWICK, a township, in the parish of Kyloe,
union of Berwick, in Islandshire, N. division of
Northumberland; containing 227 inhabitants.
FENWICK, a township, in the parish of Stamfordham, union of Castle ward, N. E. division of Tindale
ward, S. division of Northumberland, 13½ miles (N.
W. by W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 66
inhabitants. Fenwick Tower was the seat of the ancient
family of the same name, so numerous in Northumberland; and so continued till 1688, when Sir John Fenwick
alienated his estates for the sum of £20,000, obtained
for him by Sir William Blackett, from Mr. Guy, the
founder of Guy's Hospital. The township comprises
1634a. 2r. 31p. Certain tithes were commuted for land
and money payments, under an act of inclosure, in 1779;
and under the recent act a rent-charge of £97. 3. 7. has
been awarded, of which £91. 8. are payable to the
Bishop of Durham, and £5. 15. 7. to the vicar of the
parish. In 1775, in pulling down part of the Tower,
which has long been in ruins, gold nobles of the reigns
of Edward III., Richard II., and David, King of Scotland, were found.
FENWICK, a township, in the parish of Campsall,
union of Doncaster, Upper division of the wapentake
of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, 5½ miles (S. W.)
from Snaith; containing 262 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation 2200 acres, of which the
soil is mostly a strong clay; the village is situated on
the south side of the vale of the river Went. There is
a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Feock, St. (St. Feock)
FEOCK, ST. (St. Feock), a parish, in the union of
Truro, W. division of the hundred of Powder and of
the county of Cornwall, 5 miles (S.) from Truro;
containing 1476 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on
the east by the Truro river, on the west by a creek of
Falmouth harbour, and on the south by Carrick roads;
and comprises 2550 acres, of which about 1530 are
arable, 600 pasture, and 400 woodland. The surface is
uneven, in some parts hilly, and the higher grounds
command beautiful views. There is a large smeltinghouse for lead and silver ore, and the Carrick Tin-stream
is partly within the parish, which is intersected by
the railway from Redruth to Point Quay, a small shipping-port at the head of Carrick roads. The living is
a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£11; net income, £175; patron, the Bishop of Exeter;
impropriator, the Earl of Falmouth. The church is an
ancient edifice, in the later English style, with a detached tower at the distance of 20 feet: in the churchyard is a cross with a figure rudely sculptured. There
are places of worship for Baptists, Calvinists, and Wesleyans. At Roundwood are some remains of an earthwork.
FERENSBY, a township, in the parish of Farnham, union of Great Ouseburn (under Gilbert's act),
Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding
of York, 2½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Knaresborough;
containing 112 inhabitants. The township comprises
about 400 acres; the village is small, but pleasantly
situated. Rent-charges amounting to £25. 18. have
been awarded in lieu of tithes.
FERNHAM, a hamlet, in the parish and hundred
of Shrivenham, union of Farringdon, county of
Berks, 2½ miles (S. by E.) from Farringdon; containing 222 inhabitants, and comprising 999 acres.
The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £300.
FERNILEE, a township, in the parish of Hope,
union of Chapel-en-le-Frith, hundred of High-Peak,
N. division of the county of Derby; containing 560
inhabitants. Thomas Ouff in 1786 bequeathed an
estate, from the proceeds of which £18 a year are paid
for teaching children.
Ferriby, North (All Saints)
FERRIBY, NORTH (All Saints), a parish, in the
county of the town of Hull, union of Sculcoates,
E. riding of York; containing 935 inhabitants, of whom
479 are in the township of North Ferriby, 5¼ miles
(S. E.) from South Cave. A priory of Knights Templars
founded here by Lord Eustace de Vesci, of Bromfleet,
was, at the suppression of that order, converted into
a priory of Augustine canons, whose revenue at the
Dissolution was valued at £95. 11. 7. The parish
includes the township of North Ferriby, and part of
that of Swanland; and comprises about 3760 acres, of
which 1610 are in North Ferriby. Several of the proprietors of land possess handsome mansions in the
village. The Hull and Selby railway has a station here.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £8. 13. 4.; net income, £135; patron and impropriator, W. W. Wilkinson, Esq. The church, which
appears to be part of a more spacious structure, has a
low massive tower at the west end, and contains some
ancient monuments; it was thoroughly repaired in
1829. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship; and there is a free school.
Ferriby, South (St. Nicholas)
FERRIBY, SOUTH (St. Nicholas), a parish, in
the union of Glandford-Brigg, N. division of the
wapentake of Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county
of Lincoln, 3¼ miles (W. by S.) from Barton-uponHumber; containing 542 inhabitants. The parish is
bounded on the north by the river Humber, which here
receives the waters of the Ancholme; it comprises
about 1500 acres, and contains some pits of chalk, used
partly for manure. The living is a discharged rectory,
valued in the king's books at £12. 17. 6.; net income,
£192; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The tithes were
commuted for 130 acres of land, under an act of inclosure, in 1802, when an allotment of 15 acres was given
for the repair of the church, now producing about £30
per annum. The church is an ancient structure, standing
north and south, with the tower on the north-east side:
during a late repair a beautiful arch in the west wall,
and the bases of a range of pillars, were discovered,
which had been long concealed, and, no doubt, belonged
to an older edifice. There are places of worship for
Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.
Ferring (St. Andrew)
FERRING (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union
of East Preston (under Gilbert's act), hundred of
Poling, rape of Arundel, W. division of Sussex, 3¾
miles (W.) from Worthing; containing 285 inhabitants.
It comprises by measurement 935 acres, of which 633
are arable, 212 meadow and pasture, and 43 woodland.
The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of East
Preston and that of Kingston united, valued in the
king's books at £6. 8. 4., and in the gift of the Bishop
of Chichester. The tithes in the parish belonging to the
Ecclesiastical Commissioners have been commuted for
£237, and the vicarial tithes for £90; there is a glebe
of 21 acres. The vicar's total net income is £244. The
church, which is in the early English style, is dedicated
to St. Andrew, in honour of whom a church or monastery was built here so early as the time of Offa, King of
Mercia, of which there were some remains in the reign
of Edward III. On Highdown Hill, an isolated eminence,
is a small earthwork, from which is an extensive panoramic view.
FERRY-BRIDGE, a post-town, in the parish of
Ferry-Frystone, union of Barwick (under Gilbert's
act), Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross,
W. riding of York, 21½ miles (S. S. W.) from York.
This place takes its name from the erection of a handsome stone bridge over the river Aire, in lieu of an
ancient ferry, the possession of which was strongly
contested by the rival armies of York and Lancaster,
and near which numerous skeletons, fragments of
armour, and military relics have been found at various
times. The town derived its chief importance from its
situation on the great thoroughfare from the north to
the south of England, but since the opening of the railway, that traffic has been diverted into another channel;
the houses are well built, and near the bridge are some
extensive wharfs, whence goods are forwarded by the
Aire and Calder navigation. Here are also large glassworks. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
FERRY-CORNER, an extra-parochial liberty, adjoining the parish of Bicker, in the union of Boston,
wapentake of Kirton, parts of Holland, county of
Lincoln; containing 66 inhabitants.
FERRY, EAST, a chapelry, partly in the parish of
Scotton, wapentake of Corringham, and partly in
the parish of Owston, W. division of the wapentake of
Manley, union of Gainsborough, parts of Lindsey,
county of Lincoln, 7¼ miles (N. by E.) from Gainsborough; containing 156 inhabitants. The chapel is
dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for
FERRY-HILL, a township, in the parish of Merrington, union of Sedgefield, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham,
5¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing
850 inhabitants. There are collieries in the neighbourhood, to which a branch of the Clarence railway extends, and in this township the Byers-Green branch
diverges from the Durham branch of that line. Here is
also a station of the York and Newcastle railway. A
church, dedicated to St. Luke, was erected in 1828, and
made a district church in 1843 for Ferry-Hill and Chilton townships. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the
gift of the Dean and Chapter of Durham: the tithes of
the township of Ferry-Hill have been commuted for £276
payable to the perpetual curate, and £68 to the vicar of
Merrington. At an early period the convent of Durham
had a chapel here, dedicated to St. Ebbe and St. Nicholas,
and also a court-house, swannery, and fish-pool; there
are still some remains of the swan-house, and a rent
called swan-oats is yet paid.
FERRY, WEST, a hamlet, in the parish of Owston,
union of Gainsborough, W. division of the wapentake
of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln;
containing 1025 inhabitants. That part of the parish
which extends along the margin of the river Trent, is
commonly called by this name, in contradistinction to
East Ferry, on the opposite side of the river.—See
Fersfield (St. Andrew)
FERSFIELD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union
of Guiltcross, hundred of Diss, E. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Diss; containing 295
inhabitants. The parish comprises about 1140 acres,
chiefly the property of the Duke of Norfolk, who is lord
of the manor, which belonged anciently to the family of
Du Bois, the supposed founders of the church: the
village is situated near the sources of the rivers Waveney and Little Ouse. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £6. 6. 8., and in the gift of Frederick Nassau, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for
£360, and the glebe comprises 59 acres. The church
is in the decorated English style, with a square embattled
tower; in two arched recesses are the recumbent figures
of a knight and a priest, the former to the memory of
Sir Robert, and the latter to William, Du Bois. The
church-lands comprise 20 acres, producing £32 per
annum. The Rev. Francis Blomefield, the Norfolk historian, was born and buried here.