Fornham - Foulden

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

253-255

Citation Show another format:

'Fornham - Foulden', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 253-255. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50969 Date accessed: 01 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Fornham (All Saints)

FORNHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Thingoe, W. division of Suffolk, 2¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 336 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the river Lark, comprises about 1698 acres; the surface is generally flat, but, towards the south, rises into an eminence of considerable elevation called Fort Hill. The living is a rectory, with that of Westley annexed, valued in the king's books at £19. 10. 5., and in the patronage of Clare Hall, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £440. 15. 10., and the glebe comprises 14½ acres. The church is an ancient structure, chiefly in the early English style. Here was a priory of Friars Minors, who first established themselves at Bury, but, being compelled by the abbot to remove, settled here; the remains are now converted into a dwelling-house.

Fornham, (St. Genevieve)

FORNHAM, (St. Genevieve), a parish, in the union of Thingoe, hundred of Thedwastry, W. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 70 inhabitants. This place is distinguished as the scene of the signal defeat of the forces under Sir Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester, in 1173, after a sanguinary battle, in which the earl and his countess were taken prisoners. The parish is situated on the river Lark, and comprises 502a. 3r. The Duke of Norfolk has a pleasant seat here, in the grounds of which is the tower of the church, the body of the edifice having been destroyed by fire. The living is a discharged rectory, united to that of Risby, and valued in the king's books at £7. 1. 0½.

Fornham (St. Martin)

FORNHAM (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Thingoe, hundred of Thedwastry, W. division of Suffolk, 2 miles (N.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 294 inhabitants. It comprises 1178a. 2r. 23p.; the surface is undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by the navigable river Lark. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 11. 3.; income, £305; patron, the Duke of Norfolk. The church, a handsome edifice, was almost wholly rebuilt a few years since, by the late duke and the incumbent, and in the year 1835 his grace erected a school.

Forrabury (St. Simphorian)

FORRABURY (St. Simphorian), a parish, in the union of Camelford, hundred of Lesnewth, E. division of Cornwall, 5 miles (N. W.) from Camelford; containing 354 inhabitants. This place, which is bounded on the north-west by the Bristol Channel, and includes the lower part of the small sea-port of Boscastle, was formerly of considerable importance; but on the destruction of the castles of Tintagel and Botreaux, upon which it was dependent, it declined to its present state. The parish comprises 432 acres, of hilly surface: manganese is found. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 12. 8½., and in the gift of W. Kirkness, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £60, and the glebe comprises 9 acres. In the churchyard is an ancient cross.

Forsbrook

FORSBROOK, a township, in the parish of Dilhorne, union of Cheadle, N. division of the hundred of Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford, 2¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Cheadle; containing 843 inhabitants. It lies on the road from Cheadle to Stone and Newcastle, and has a large village, with some neat houses occupied by farmers and tradesmen. Many of the inhabitants are fish-hawkers, who supply the Potteries and neighbouring towns and villages. A school is endowed with land producing £22 per annum.

Forscote (St. James)

FORSCOTE (St. James), a parish, in the union of Frome, hundred of Wellow, E. division of Somerset, 7½ miles (S. S. W.) from Bath; containing 84 inhabitants. There are some mills on the banks of a stream which runs through the parish. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 19. 2., and in the gift of Sir John Smyth, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £105, and the glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is a small neat edifice.

Forthampton (St. Mary)

FORTHAMPTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Tewkesbury, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 1½ mile (W.) from Tewkesbury; containing 460 inhabitants. This place was the property of the abbots of Tewkesbury, who had a residence here, now converted into a family mansion called Forthampton Court. The parish is bounded on the north by the road from Tewkesbury to Ledbury, and intersected by that from Gloucester to Worcester, through Upton; it comprises about 2390 acres by admeasurement, of which 1053 are arable, 1003 pasture, and 37 wood. The surface is gently undulated, with the exception of some level meadow-land on the bank of the Severn. The scenery is agreeably diversified with wood and water, and the soil is generally a rich marly loam, resting upon red sandstone; gypsum and blue lias also exist, in the latter of which remains of the ichthyosaurus have been found. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £138; patron, J. Yorke, Esq.: the glebe contains 84 acres, of which 49 are in the parish of Badgeworth.

Forton

FORTON, a township, in the union of Garstang, partly in the parish of Cockerham, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, and partly in the parish of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles (N.) from Garstang, on the road to Lancaster; containing 679 inhabitants. This place is often coupled with Cleveley, but is an independent township, and was formerly a part of the constablewick of Garstang. In the 35th of Henry VIII. the crown granted the manor, then belonging to the abbot of Cockersand, to Thomas Holt: the land is now held by numerous proprietors. The township comprises 1255 acres, and contains several good stone-quarries. The Lancaster and Preston railway and canal both pass through. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans, the former of comparatively ancient date, and the latter built about thirty years ago.

Forton

FORTON, a tything, in the parish and union of Chard, E. division of the hundred of Kingsbury, W. division of Somerset, 1½ mile (S. E.) from the town of Chard; containing 209 inhabitants.

Forton

FORTON, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Alverstoke, liberty of Alverstoke and Gosport, Fareham and S. divisions of the county of Southampton. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, is a handsome edifice completed at a cost of £3775, raised by subscription, aided by a grant from the Parliamentary Commissioners; it was consecrated in April, 1831, and a district containing 2300 inhabitants has been assigned to it. The organ originally belonged to the celebrated Handel, and was formerly in the Roman Catholic chapel at Winchester; the Rev. H. A. Veck purchased it, and placed it here, and that gentleman's mother and sisters presented the communion-plate, which is very elegant. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Rector of Alverstoke: there is a small plot of glebe.—See Gosport.

Forton

FORTON, a tything, in the parish of Longparish, union of Andover, hundred of Wherwell, Andover and N. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 281 inhabitants.

Forton (All Saints)

FORTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Newport, W. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 1¼ mile (N. E. by N.) from Newport; containing 762 inhabitants. It is divided into the four hamlets of Forton, Meer, Sutton, and Warton; and comprises 3656a. 3r. 19p., whereof the meadow-land is peaty, and the arable partly clay, and partly light and sandy. The road from Newport to Eccleshall intersects the parish, the scenery of which is beautifully picturesque. Aqualate Hall is a magnificent mansion, on the south side of a fine lake more than a mile in length, and half a mile in breadth, called Aqualate Meer; the house is surrounded by a spacious park and pleasure-grounds, adorned with plantations and some of the finest oak-trees in the county. This is the seat of Sir Thomas Fletcher Fenton Boughey, Bart., who is lord of the manor, and owner of nearly the whole parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 19. 2.; patron, the Baronet: the tithes have been commuted for £450, and the glebe comprises 46 acres, valued at £68 per annum. The church is an ancient stone edifice, with a nave, north aisle, and a square tower; it was repaired and modernised about 1700, and re-roofed in 1842. A school, built in 1843, has a small endowment. Anc's Hill, in the parish, an eminence planted with firs, is supposed to have had its name from the Romans.

Forty-Foot-Bridge

FORTY-FOOT-BRIDGE, an extra-parochial district, adjoining the parish of Swineshead, in the union of Spalding, wapentake of Kirton, parts of Holland, county of Lincoln; containing 32 inhabitants.

Foscote

FOSCOTE, a hamlet, in the parish of Abthorpe, union and hundred of Towcester, S. division of the county of Northampton; containing 62 inhabitants.

Foscote

FOSCOTT, a hamlet, in the parish of Idbury, union of Chipping-Norton, hundred of Chadlington, county of Oxford; containing 49 inhabitants.

Fosdyke (All Saints)

FOSDYKE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Boston, wapentake of Kirton, parts of Holland, county of Lincoln, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Holbeach; containing 601 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the Fosse dyke constructed by Henry II., between the rivers Trent and Witham; it extends seven miles in length, separating the parts of Lindsey from those of Kesteven, and comprises about 2826 acres. The living is annexed to the rectory of Algarkirk; the glebe comprises 100 acres. An almshouse for 9 persons was founded under the will of Sir Thomas Middlecott, in 1625, and endowed with lands now producing £170 per annum; and £40, arising from benefactions, are yearly distributed among the poor.

Foston

FOSTON, a township, in the parish of Scropton, union of Burton, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 11¾ miles (W. by S.) from Derby; containing 192 inhabitants. The Agard family held the manor as early as 1310; it became by purchase the property of the Bates, by whom it was sold to the Broadhursts. The township lies on the Derby and Uttoxeter road, and has a pleasant and well-built village: a considerable portion of the land is arable. Foston Hall, a large and handsome mansion, was burnt down in 1836, and continues a heap of ruins.

Foston (St. Bartholomew)

FOSTON (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Blaby, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 6¾ miles (S. by E.) from Leicester; containing 41 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 2. 3½.; net income, £240; patron, Sir C. M. Lamb, Bart.

Foston (St. Peter)

FOSTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Newark, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 5¾ miles (N. W. by N.) from Grantham; containing 497 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2180 acres of land, belonging to several proprietors: the village is of neat appearance, and pleasantly situated on the road from Grantham to Newark. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Long Bennington: the tithes are commuted for 400 acres of land. The church is an ancient edifice, with a tower crowned by pinnacles.

Foston (All Saints)

FOSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Malton, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of York; containing, with the township of Thornton-le-Clay, and part of Flaxton-on-the-Moor, 370 inhabitants, of whom 95 are in the township of Foston, 2 miles (N. E.) from Whitwell. The parish comprises 2200 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and one-third pasture and meadow; the surface is generally flat, and the soil partly clay and partly sandy. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14, and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £450: the tithes were commuted for 300 acres of land, at the inclosure of the parish. The church is an ancient edifice, with a Norman arched doorway. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and the Society of Friends, at Thornton.

Foston-upon-the-Wolds (St. Andrew)

FOSTON-upon-the-Wolds (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Driffield, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Brigham, Gembling, and Great Kelk, 792 inhabitants, of whom 344 are in the township of Foston, 6½ miles (E. S. E.) from Driffield. The parish comprises by computation 4750 acres, of which about 1300 are in Foston township; of these latter, 250 are pasture, 20 wood, and the remainder arable land. The surface is level and open, and the soil clay, intermixed with sand. The village is pleasantly situated on a stream celebrated for its trout, flowing into the river Hull, and on the banks of which is a very extensive flour-mill, to which vessels of 60 tons' burthen have access. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 18. 6½.; net income, £102; patron, the Rev. R. Otterburn; the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1776. The church is an ancient and venerable structure, in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower: in the churchyard is the mutilated figure of a crusader. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; and three almshouses for widows, endowed by Mrs. Ann Walker in 1717.

Fotherby (St. Mary)

FOTHERBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Louth, wapentake of Ludborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3¼ miles (N. by W.) from Louth; containing 227 inhabitants. It lies on the road from Louth to Grimsby. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £3, and in the gift of the Crown; net income, £122; impropriator, D. Allenby, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1764.

Fotheringay (St. Mary and All Saints)

FOTHERINGAY (St. Mary and All Saints), a parish, in the union of Oundle, hundred of Willybrook, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3½ miles (N. N. E.) from Oundle; containing 230 inhabitants. This place was once celebrated for its castle, a strong and handsome structure with double ditches, keep, &c. In the reign of Henry III., when the many strongholds encouraged the nobility to rebel, it was surprised by William, Earl of Albemarle, who laid waste the surrounding country. It was the birthplace of Richard III., the scene of the trial of Mary, Queen of Scots, and the place of her execution. James I., on his accession to the throne, demolished it; but the site may still be traced. The parish is bounded on the south and east by the river Nene, and consists of 2112a. 3r. 23p. The Northampton and Peterborough railway passes through. The village, in which a fair for horses is held on the third Monday after July 5th, was anciently a considerable town, and is pleasantly situated on the river, over which is a bridge of freestone, erected in 1722 by the Marquess of Halifax, in lieu of a wooden one built in 1573 by Queen Elizabeth. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of Samuel Jones Loyd, Esq.; net income, £150. The church is a handsome edifice in the later English style, containing an ancient carved-oak pulpit, and a very fine font: several distinguished members of the Plantagenet family are interred here. It was formerly collegiate, and at one period the church of a nunnery, the inmates of which were translated to De la Pré, near Northampton. On the north side of the church is a free grammar school for boys, endowed by Queen Elizabeth with a house and £20 per annum. Edmund of Langley, son of Edward III., procured a licence to erect a college, and his son Edward founded and endowed the establishment, upon which Henry V. bestowed certain lands that belonged to alien priories; Edward IV. made the college of his own foundation, and enlarged the buildings. At the Dissolution its revenue amounted to about £419.

Fotherley, High

FOTHERLEY, HIGH, a township, in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Bywell; containing 106 inhabitants. It is west of the road from Allensford to Broomhaugh, and on the borders of the bleak and barren wastes that stretch westward along the southern boundary of the county.

Foulby, York.—See Huntwick.

FOULBY, York.—See Huntwich.

Foulden (All Saints)

FOULDEN (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Swaffham, hundred of South Greenhoe, W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Stoke-Ferry; containing 500 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by the river Wissey, and comprises 3395a. 1r. 29p., of which 2045 acres are arable, 1236 pasture, meadow, and heath, and 72 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to the rectory of Oxborough, and valued in the king's books at £10. 1. 10.: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £267. 16., the vicarial for £178. 16., and the glebe comprises 2¾ acres. The church is a neat structure of great antiquity, with a tower, and contains some monuments.