GODWICK, an ancient parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 11 miles (N. N. E.) from Swaffham.
The living is united to that of Tittleshall. Of the church,
only the tower remains; it stands near the Hall, now a
farmhouse, but formerly the residence of the celebrated
Judge Coke, and also remarkable as the birthplace of
Admiral Sir William Hoste.
Goitrey, county of Monmouth.—See Goytrey.
GOITREY, county of Monmouth.—See Goytrey.
GOLBORN-BELLOW, a township, in the parish of
Tattenhall, union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the
county of Chester, 7 miles (S. E.) from Chester; containing 129 inhabitants, and 504 acres of laud. The
soil is clay.
GOLBORN-DAVID, a township, in the parish of
Handley, union of Great Boughton, Lower division
of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of
Chester, 6½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Chester; containing 84 inhabitants. It comprises 643 acres of land, of
a clayey soil.
GOLBORNE, a township, in the parish of Lowton,
union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, S. division
of Lancashire, 2 miles (N. N. E.) from Newton-inMakerfield; containing 1657 inhabitants. A family of
the local name possessed lands here in the reign of
Henry III., and subsequently the manor was held by
various families, among whom were the Fleetwoods and
Leghs: Thomas Legh, Esq., is now the principal landowner. The township comprises 1570 acres, of which
325 are arable, and nearly all the remainder pasture;
the surface is gently undulated, and the soil half clay
and half clay-loam. Coal exists; and there is a large
and a smaller cotton-mill, affording employment to
many of the population. Golborne Hall is occupied
by Nathan Newbould, Esq. By a private act passed
in 1845 to amend a private act in 1841, it is provided that if a church be built in Golborne, the place
is to become a separate parish and rectory. The tithes
have been commuted for a rent-charge of £158, payable
to the rector of Winwick. The Independents have a
place of worship. A school, with a house for the master,
was built in 1791, by William Street and others, who
endowed it with the interest of £120, for which six children of the township are taught.—See Lowton.
GOLCAR, a chapelry, in the parish and union of
Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of
Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 3¼ miles (W. by S.) from
Huddersfield; containing 3598 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation 1560 acres, of which the
surface is boldly undulated, rising in steep acclivities
from the banks of the river Colne: here are several
quarries of excellent stone. The manufacture of coarse
woollen-cloths and padding has long been established,
and that of articles of the finest texture has since been
introduced; the machinery of the numerous mills is
propelled by 12 water-wheels and 12 steam-engines.
The Huddersfield and Manchester canal skirts the township, which contains various hamlets scattered on the
sides and summit of Golcar Hill. Commodious baths
have been erected at a mineral spring on the course of
the Colne, the waters having been found useful in rheumatism and other disorders. The chapel, now a district
church, dedicated to St. John, was erected in 1829, at
an expense of £2865, defrayed by the Parliamentary
Commissioners, with the exception of £500 raised by
subscription; it is a handsome structure in the later
English style, with a tower surmounted by a spire, and
contains 950 sittings, of which 430 are free. The living
is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of
Huddersfield; net income, £150. There are places of
worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. Upon the high
ground at the western extremity of the township was
formerly a rocking-stone, so celebrated as to have been
marked in old maps; and it is said there were other
Goldcliff (St. Mary Magdalene)
GOLDCLIFF (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in
the union of Newport, division of Christchurch, hundred of Caldicot, county of Monmouth, 4½ miles
(S. E.) from Newport; containing 282 inhabitants. The
parish is bounded by the Bristol Channel on the south,
where the cliff whence its name is derived rises abruptly
from the extremity of a marshy flat to a height of about
100 feet above the level of the sea; it is a single rock,
consisting of a horizontal stratum of limestone, under
which is a body of hard brown grit, full of yellow mica.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £13. 2. 6.; patrons and impropriators, the
Provost and Fellows of Eton College: the great tithes
have been commuted for £18, and the vicarial for
£17. 5. 6. The church was founded and liberally endowed in 1113, by Robert de Chandos, who, by the
desire of Henry I., gave it to the abbey of Bec, in Normandy, upon which a prior and twelve Black monks
were placed here. In 1442, after the suppression of
alien priories, the establishment was made a cell to
the abbey of Tewkesbury; and at the Dissolution it
possessed a revenue of £144. 18. 1.: some slight remains still exist.
GOLDEN-HILL, a village, in the township of Oldcott, parish of Wolstanton, union of Wolstanton
and Burslem, hundred of Pirehill, county of Stafford, 2½ miles (N. N. W.) from Burslem. This place is
situated at the northern extremity of the Potteries, on
the main road to Manchester and Liverpool; and the
population is chiefly employed in the coal and iron
mines which abound in the district. A church was consecrated by the Bishop of Lichfield in 1841; it stands
on elevated ground, and is built of blue brick, in the
Norman style, with a spire: patron of the living, Smith
Child, Esq., of Rownall Hall, by whom it is endowed.
A national school accommodates 300 children.
Goldhanger (St. Peter)
GOLDHANGER (St. Peter), a parish, in the
union of Maldon, hundred of Thurstable, N. division of Essex, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Maldon; containing 520 inhabitants. This place is pleasantly situated
on the road from Maldon to Colchester, and is bounded
on the south by the river Blackwater, creeks of which
come up to some of the farms; it consists chiefly of
low marshy ground, having a light gravelly soil, but
producing good crops, especially of barley. A small
pleasure-fair is held on the Monday and Tuesday in Whitsun-week. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £25. 19. 4½., and in the gift of the Rev.
Thomas Leigh: the tithes have been commuted for £500,
and the glebe comprises 27 acres, with a house. The
church is a small ancient building of stone, with a
handsome tower, and the western window has some
interesting details. There are places of worship for
Independents and Wesleyans. The Romans are supposed to have effected a landing from the river Blackwater; and some mounds in the parish show that they
Goldington (St. Mary)
GOLDINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Barford, union and county of Bedford, 1¾
mile (N. E. by E.) from Bedford; containing 509 inhabitants. This parish, which is on the road to Cambridge, and is bounded on the south by the river Ouse,
comprises about 2700 acres. The surface is varied,
rising in one part to a considerable elevation; the soil
is generally rich, and in the lower grounds of remarkable fertility. The village is situated round an open
green of about 20 acres in extent. The living is a
vicarage valued in the king's books at £8. 9. 4½.; net
income, £186; patron, the Duke of Bedford; impropriator, W. S. Addington, Esq. The church is a plain
ancient structure. The Wesleyans have a place of
worship. In the reign of Henry II., Simon Beauchamp
founded a monastery in honour of St. Paul, and removed hither the Black canons of the priory of St.
Paul's, Bedford: at the Dissolution its revenue was estimated at £343. 15. 5. The remains are still in a tolerable state of preservation.
Goldsborough (St. Mary)
GOLDSBOROUGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the
Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding
of York; containing, with the townships of Coneythorpe and Flaxby, 459 inhabitants, of whom 239 are in
the township of Goldsborough, 2¾ miles (E. S. E.) from
Knaresborough. The parish comprises by computation
3230 acres; the surface is level, but the scenery, especially by the side of the Nidd, is very picturesque: the
village is situated north of the river. Goldsborough
Hall, built in the reign of James I., is the property of
the Earl of Harewood. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £10. 1. 0½., and in the patronage
of his Lordship; net income, £291. The church, an
ancient structure with a tower, is supposed to have been
in connexion with the lodge of the Knights Templars of
Ribston, and contains two remarkable monuments of
members of that order. Elizabeth Byerley, in 1763,
bequeathed the dividends of £562, three per cents., for
distribution among poor widows. There are a spring
efficacious for scorbutic disorders, and a petrifying well.
GOLDSHAW-BOOTH, a township, in the chapelry
of Newchurch-in-Pendle, parish of Whalley, union
of Burnley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 6 miles
(W. by S.) from Colne; containing 748 inhabitants.
This place, anciently called Gouldesshey, Over and Nether,
comprises 1165 acres, and is the central township of
Pendle Forest. The common appellation of "Booth"
seems to point to the sheds of the cowherds in the respective vaccaries. A court baron is held at Higham
twice a year for the whole forest, which is a copyhold
fee of the honour of Clitheroe. The chapel of Newchurch is situated in the township.—See Newchurch.
Golsby, county of Lincoln.—See Goulsby.
GOLSBY, county of Lincoln.—See Goulsby.
GOLTHO, a parish, in the W. division of the wapentake of Wraggoe, parts of Lindsey, union and county
of Lincoln, 1½ mile (W. by S.) from Wragby; containing, with the chapelry of Bullington, 159 inhabitants.
It is situated on the road from Lincoln to Horncastle
and Louth, and comprises 1355a. 7p. The living is a
donative curacy, the stipend of which is voluntary;
patron and impropriator, C. Mainwaring, Esq. The
church is a small neat edifice of brick, erected on the
site of the original structure; the chancel, which is
the sepulchral chapel of the Granthams, formerly proprietors, is ornamented with their armorial bearings in
stained glass. There is a chapel of ease at Bullington.
GOMERSAL, a township, in the parish of Birstal, union of Dewsbury, wapentake of Morley, W.
riding of York, 7 miles (S. W.) from Leeds; containing 8030 inhabitants. This township, which includes
the hamlets of Spen, Great and Little Gomersal, Birstal, and Birkenshaw, lies on the roads from Leeds to
Huddersfield and Halifax, and comprises 3200a. 33p.;
the soil is fertile, and the substratum abounds with coal,
of which there are several extensive mines in operation.
The surface is varied, and the scenery of pleasing character. The population is chiefly employed in the manufacture of woollen-cloth, blankets, and worsted pieces;
and a considerable number in the spinning of worstedyarn. The parish church of Birstal is situated in the
township; and a church has been also erected at Birkenshaw, which is noticed under that head. A church district named Gomersal was endowed in 1846 by the Ecclesiastical Commission: the extent is about 900 acres,
embracing a population of 3000; and the living is in the
gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Ripon, alternately.
There are places of worship for Independents, Moravians, and Wesleyans.
GOMERSHAY, a tything, in the parish of Stalbridge, union of Sturminster, hundred of Brownshall, Sturminster division of Dorset, 1 mile (W.) from
Stalbridge; containing 65 inhabitants.
Gonalston (St. Lawrence)
GONALSTON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the
union of Southwell, S. division of the wapentake of
Thurgarton and of the county of Nottingham, 4¾
miles (S. S. W.) from Southwell; containing 113 inhabitants. The family of Heris were owners of the place
for many generations. Of this family was Sir John de
Heris, who in 1235 made an agreement with the prior
of Thurgarton, to allow him common pasture for fifty
head of cattle, and fifty swine, without pannage; or, in
a fertile year of acorns in Thurgarton wood, the number
was to extend to sixty. William de Heris, in the reign
of Henry III., founded an hospital here called the Spital,
"to the honour of St. Mary Magdalene;" the successive
rectors of the parish were masters, and formerly
preached their induction sermon upon its ruins. Gonalston comprises 1250 acres of arable and pasture land in
about equal portions, interspersed with 106 acres of
wood and plantations. The Dover beck separates it
from Lowdham. Gonalston Cottage is a handsome
mansion, the seat of John Francklin, Esq., sole proprietor of the soil. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £7. 19. 2.; net income, £324; patron,
Mr. Francklin. The church is a small structure, with a
tower; it contained some effigies of crusaders, but they
were either destroyed or removed when the edifice was
diminished in size. There is a small endowed school.
GONERBY, a hamlet, in the parish of Hatcliffe,
poor-law union of Caistor, wapentake of BradleyHaverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln;
containing 27 inhabitants.
Gonerby, Great (St. Sebastian)
GONERBY, GREAT (St. Sebastian), a parish, in
the union of Grantham, wapentake of Loveden, parts
of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 1½ mile (N. N. W.)
from Grantham; containing 1049 inhabitants, and comprising 2850 acres. The living is a vicarage not in
charge, in the gift of the Vicar of Grantham, with a net
income of £100: the church is an ancient structure,
and has an embattled tower surmounted by a spire.
Here is a school endowed with £22 per annum, chiefly
bequeathed by R. Kellam, Esq., and Earl Brownlow.
Some land is let in small lots of garden-ground at low
rents to the poor, and £10 per annum are distributed in
bread and money.
GONERBY, LITTLE, a suburb of Grantham, in the
union and borough of Grantham, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, ½ a mile
(N. W.) from Grantham; containing 1968 inhabitants.
This place and Manthorp form a township, comprising
1209a. 1r. 16p. of land, mostly the property of Earl
Brownlow. It, with Grantham and Spittlegate, was first
lighted with gas in 1833, by a company established with
a capital of £6000.
Good-Easter, Essex.—See Easter, Good.
GOOD-EASTER, Essex.—See Easter, Good.
Gooderstone (St. George)
GOODERSTONE (St. George), a parish, in the
union of Swaffham, hundred of South Greenhoe,
W. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles (E. N. E.) from
Stoke-Ferry; containing 500 inhabitants. It comprises
2781a. 1r. 20p., of which 1313 acres are arable, 1360
pasture, meadow, and heath, and 71 woodland. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £6. 12.: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £133, and the impropriate, which belong to
A. H. R. Micklefield, Esq., who is also patron, for £250;
the glebe comprises 23 acres. The church exhibits
various stages of the English style, and has a square
embattled tower; the nave is divided from the chancel
by the remains of a beautifully carved screen, and on
the south side of the chancel is a double piscina.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and the
poor have 56 acres of land, which were allotted for fuel
at the inclosure,
Goodleigh (St. Gregory)
GOODLEIGH (St. Gregory), a parish, in the union
of Barnstaple, hundred of Braunton, Braunton and
N. divisions of Devon, 2¾ miles (E. by N.) from Barnstaple; containing 335 inhabitants. It is situated on
the river Yeo, and comprises about 1000 acres, of which
100 are common: stone of a soft texture is found, but
not applied to any useful purpose. There are several
cherry-orchards, the soil being peculiarly favourable for
cherries. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £14. 19. 4½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev.
John Harding, whose tithes have been commuted for
£190, and whose glebe comprises 35 acres. The church,
an ancient structure in the early English style, contains
two monuments to the Acland family. Here is a place
of worship for Independents.
Goodmanham (All Saints)
GOODMANHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the
union of Pocklington, Holme-Beacon division of the
wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 1¼ mile
(N. E. by N.) from Market-Weighton; containing 316
inhabitants. This place is of very remote antiquity,
and is supposed to have derived its name from the great
Pagan temple of Northumbria, in the immediate vicinity
of which, the high priest Coifi, being converted to
Christianity, was baptized by Paulinus, who in 630
founded the church, which was built with the materials
of the British temple. The site and extent of the latter
seem clearly marked out by numerous artificial mounds
called the Howes. Goodmanham is supposed by some
antiquaries to have been the site of the Roman station
Delgovitiæ, but this is disputed by others. The parish
comprises by computation 3000 acres, of which 2500 are
arable, 300 meadow and pasture, and about 200 plantation; the soil is a light loam resting upon chalk, the
surface is undulated, and the scenery very picturesque.
Stone is quarried for the roads. The village is pleasantly
situated on one of the acclivities on the western side of
the Wolds, upon the road leading from Market-Weighton to Driffield. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £12. 11. 8.; net income, £477; patron,
J. Clark, Esq. The tithes were commuted in 1775, for
721 acres of land, and there are 25 acres of glebe at
Middleton; a handsome glebe-house was erected by the
Rev. William Blow, in 1824. The church is a venerable
structure in the early Norman style, with a square
tower, and has four fine arches, and a curious and very
celebrated font. At Eastrop was formerly a chapel of
ease. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Over
a chalybeate spring, much esteemed for its virtues, a
house has been erected.