Hadstock - Halam

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

369-372

Citation Show another format:

'Hadstock - Halam', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 369-372. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50997 Date accessed: 21 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Hadstock (St. Botolph)

HADSTOCK (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of Linton, hundred of Freshwell, N. division of Essex, 1½ mile (S.) from Linton; containing 490 inhabitants. The parish is situated at the northern extremity of the county, and stretches into the county of Cambridge; it comprises about 1800 acres. The surface is undulated, and the soil strong, and well adapted for wheat, with some land of lighter quality; the pastures are rich, and the meadows on the banks of the Granta afford rich crops of hay. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19; net income, £267; patron, the Bishop of Ely. The tithes were commuted for land in 1801; the glebe altogether comprises 304½ acres. The church is a very ancient cruciform structure of stone, with a square tower: the choir was originally separated from the nave by an old screen, now placed at the west end; the north porch has a Norman doorway, slightly moulded. Near the church is a well, dedicated to St. Botolph, from which a constant stream, passing under the wall of the churchyard, supplies the village with water.

Hadston

HADSTON, a township, in the parish of Warkworth, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 11 miles (N. N. E.) from Morpeth; containing 71 inhabitants. The township forms the head of the barony of Hadston, which belonged to the family of Heron. Rent-charges have been awarded as a commutation for the tithes, of which £154. 1. 8. are payable to the Bishop of Carlisle, and £22. 11. 3. to the vicar of the parish.

Hagborne (St. Andrew)

HAGBORNE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Wallingford, hundred of Moreton, county of Berks; containing 824 inhabitants, of whom 585 are in the liberty of East Hagborne, 5½ miles (W. by S.) from Wallingford, and 239 in that of West Hagborne. The parliamentary army under the command of the Earl of Essex was quartered at this place on the 24th of May, 1644, on its route from Reading to Abingdon. The parish comprises 2421a. 37p.: an act for inclosing 181 acres of waste land was passed in 1840. The village is pleasantly situated, and in the centre is a stone cross, surmounted with a sun-dial: a fair is held on the Thursday preceding the 11th of October. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 10. 7½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Richard Meredith; impropriator, the Earl of Craven. The great tithes have been commuted for £1040, and the small for £200; the vicar has a glebe of 12 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the early English style, with a tower; the north aisle was built by John York, who died in 1413.

Hagg

HAGG, a hamlet, in the parish of Carham, union of Glendale, W. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 4½ miles (S. S. E.) from Coldstream. The hamlet comprises about 400 acres of arable land, the property of the Earl of Tankerville: the surface is level, with a light sandy soil.

Haggerston (St. Mary)

HAGGERSTON (St. Mary), a district parish, in the Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, 1½ mile (N. E. by N.) from London. This place was formerly an inconsiderable hamlet in the parish of St. Leonard, Shoreditch, but, having become a populous suburb of the metropolis, was in 1830 made a district parish. Many new streets have been formed, consisting of neat ranges of houses of a moderate size; the parish is partially paved, is lighted with gas, and amply supplied with water. Among the larger of the various works on the banks of the Regent's canal, which passes through Haggerston, are those of the Imperial and Independent Gas-light and Coke Companies, the former of which was established in 1822, for lighting the eastern district of the metropolis, and the latter incorporated in 1829. The facility afforded by the canal has contributed greatly to increase the trade of the place: there are several chymical works on an extensive scale; manufactories for japanned leather, floor-cloth, and hearth-rugs; a manufactory for boneashes; and several lime-works, tile-kilns, dye-houses, and coal wharfs; affording employment to a considerable portion of the inhabitants.

The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £500; patron and appropriator, the Archdeacon of London. The church, erected in 1827, at an expense of £15,000, by the Parliamentary Commissioners, is a spacious structure, blending the early and decorated English styles, with a lofty embattled tower of singular design, destitute of relief in the lower part, and ornamented in the upper with crocketed pinnacles; at the western extremities of the aisles are octagonal turrets, with domed roofs surrounded by crocketed pinnacles rising from the angles. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. Six almshouses, for members of the Company of Goldsmiths, were founded in 1705, in Goldsmith-place, by Mr. Richard Morrell, who endowed them with an estate for their maintenance. Fourteen others, with a chapel in the centre, were erected in Kingsland-road, in 1713, by Sir Robert Geoffrey, Knt., for members of the Company of Ironmongers: on the south side of these are twelve more, founded by Mr. S. Harwar, citizen of London, of which six are for freemen of the Drapers' Company, and six for persons of the parish; and to the north of them, twelve for freemen of the Company of Frame-work Knitters or their widows, founded by Thomas Bourne, Esq., who gave £1000 for their erection, and £2000 for their endowment, to which additions have been made by other benefactors.

Haggerston

HAGGERSTON, a township, in the parochial chapelry of Ancroft, union of Berwick-upon-Tweed, Islandshire, N. division of Northumberland, 6½ miles (S. S. E.) from Berwick; containing 197 inhabitants. This place, which contains a number of scattered houses, gave name to a family by whom it was held at a very early period, and of whom Thomas Haggerston was colonel of the famous Northumberland regiment in the service of Charles I., and was created a baronet by that king in 1643. Haggerston Castle is an old family mansion, built on the site of a more ancient castle, which was burnt down in 1618, with the exception of one of the towers, still remaining, in which Edward II., in 1311, received homage of Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, for the earldom of Lincoln. The present house, which has received several additions, is beautifully situated in an extensive park, ornamented with fine groves and thriving plantations; near the house is the domestic chapel. There is a school, endowed with £10 per annum, and of which the master has a house rent-free.

Haggonfield

HAGGONFIELD, a township, in the parish and union of Worksop, Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham; containing 116 inhabitants.

Haghmon, or Haughmond, Abbey

HAGHMON, or HAUGHMOND, ABBEY, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Atcham, Wellington division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 4¼ miles (N. E.) from Shrewsbury; containing 169 inhabitants, and comprising 1480 acres of land. In 1110, William Fitz-Alan, of Clun, founded an abbey here for Canons regular of the order of St. Augustine, and dedicated it to St. John the Apostle and Evangelist; the revenue, at the Dissolution, amounted to £294. 12. 9. The remains consist of the chapterhouse, which is entire, the south doorway of the nave of the church, and a range of building supposed to have been the abbot's lodging and hall, partly Norman, but chiefly in the early English style. The Rev. William Clarke, chancellor in the cathedral of Chichester, and an antiquary of repute, was born at this place in 1696.

Hagley (St. John the Baptist)

HAGLEY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Bromsgrove, Lower division of the hundred of Halfshire, Stourbridge and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 2 miles (S.) from Stourbridge; containing 744 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2382a. 1r. 30p., and is intersected by the roads from Stourbridge to Bromsgrove, and from Kidderminster to Hales-Owen, which here cross each other; the surface generally has a gradual descent, and in some parts is beautifully undulated. Hagley Hall and park, the delightful residence and property of the noble family of Lyttelton, have been celebrated by the muse of Pope, and have elicited deserved eulogy from the pens of numerous tourists and writers. The mansion is substantial and handsome, containing spacious apartments; and the park, which is embellished with stately trees, is tastefully laid out in pleasure-grounds and walks, commanding much picturesque beauty. Harborough was the residence of William Penn, Esq., one of whose daughters was the mother of Shenstone, the poet, who spent many of his juvenile hours at this place. The village contains some genteel houses, and several highly respectable families reside in the vicinity. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 6. 5½., and in the gift of Lord Lyttelton: the tithes have been commuted for £482. 10., and the glebe comprises 53 acres. The church, lately enlarged with 205 sittings, is situated in the park: in 1754, the chancel was rebuilt of freestone by George, first lord Lyttelton, and decorated with a window of richly painted glass. Among the monuments to members of the family, is a particularly chaste one to the memory of Lucy, wife of the peer just named, the elegant historian, poet, and miscellaneous writer, who was born at Hagley. On Witchbury Hill is a large Roman encampment.

Hagloe

HAGLOE, a tything, in the parish of Awre, union of Westbury-on-Severn, hundred of Bledisloe, W. division of the county of Gloucester, ¾ of a mile (E. S. E.) from Blakeney. Here commences the line of the great South Wales railway, for which acts were passed in 1845 and 1846; and in the latter year, an act was obtained for making a line from this place to Gloucester.

Hagnaby (St. Andrew)

HAGNABY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Spilsby, W. division of the soke of Bolingbroke, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 1½ mile (S. by W.) from Bolingbroke; containing 85 inhabitants. It comprises about 1000 acres; the soil is of a sandy quality, and the surface generally flat. A stream called Hagnaby beck flows through the parish; and a navigable drain called the Catchwater, which communicates with the river Witham, skirts the southern extremity. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £8; patron and impropriator, T. Coltman, Esq. The glebe is situated at Stickney, and contains 32a. 1r. 16p., valued at £72 per annum, which, with the sum of £10, for which certain tithes were some years ago commuted, make up the minister's income. The church was erected about half a century since by the late Mr. Coltman.

Hagnaby

HAGNABY, a hamlet, in the parish of Hannay, union of Louth, Wold division of the hundred of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Alford; containing 66 inhabitants. A Præmonstratensian monastery, dedicated to St. Thomas of Canterbury, was founded in 1175, by Herbert de Oppeby: the revenue, at the Dissolution, was £98. 7. 4. The site cannot be clearly defined, but is supposed to be an elevated grassy hillock here.

Hagworthingham (Holy Trinity)

HAGWORTHINGHAM (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Horncastle, hundred of Hill, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Spilsby; containing 600 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 10. 5.; income, £536; patron, the Bishop of Ely. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents, under an inclosure act, in 1795. Here is a school with a small endowment.

Haigh

HAIGH, a township and ecclesiastical district, in the parish and union of Wigan, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2¾ miles (N. by E.) from Wigan; the township containing 1363 inhabitants. This place, the most interesting among the numerous townships of Wigan, was for many generations owned by the knightly family of Bradshaigh, of Haigh Hall, and is now, by marriage with the heiress of that family, the property of the Earl of Balcarres. The township comprises 2198 acres, of which 1633 are arable, 506 pasture, 35 wood, and 24 waste, common, &c.; the land is well cultivated, and rests upon strata rich in mineral produce. Two cotton-factories are in operation, affording employment to 550 persons; and very extensive mines of common coal, together with some rich veins of cannel coal, are wrought with success: there are likewise quarries of stone, for building purposes; and iron-ore is abundant, though it has not been worked for some years. The river Douglas bounds the township on the west; the Leeds and Liverpool canal passes through it, and a branch of the North Union railway affords facility of conveyance. Haigh Hall, the seat of the Earl of Balcarres, is a stately edifice of brick, faced with stone, with three semicircular projections in front, and standing near the summit of a high hill, in a large and well-wooded park: the house commands a view of thirteen counties, the Irish Sea, and the Isle of Man. The church, dedicated to St. David, is a handsome edifice in the later English style, with a campanile turret, erected in 1833, at an expense of £3238: the living is a perpetual curacy; patron, the Rector of Wigan; net income, £166. The tithes of the township have been commuted for £218. 5. A free school is maintained by the rental of a house and some land, the bequest of Miles Turner in 1634, amounting to about £20. A school was also founded in 1639, by the Bradshaigh family, and endowed with property now yielding £50 per annum. An almshouse for twenty men and women was erected in 1770, by Dorothy Bradshaigh, who endowed it with property at present worth £150 a year.

Haighton, or High Town

HAIGHTON, or High Town, a township, in the parish and union of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3½ miles (N. N. E.) from Preston; containing 212 inhabitants. By the inquisitions in the Duchy of Lancaster office, this place appears to have been held, as it is at present, by several proprietors. An ancient building here, called Haighton House, was occupied in the last century by a gentleman named Haighton, doubtless the representative of the local family. The township comprises 1054a. 1r. 25p., of which 730 acres are pasture, 191 meadow, 98 arable, and 22 wood; and occupies high ground, with a beautiful valley by the side of the river Savick: this river takes its rise at Longridge, separates the township from Fulwood, and empties itself into the Ribble at Clifton. Haighton House is now the property and residence of J. F. Anderton, Esq., and Haighton-Green House the property of Richard Newsham, Esq. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £70, and the vicarial for £4. 5.

Hailes

HAILES, a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (N. E. by E.) from Winchcomb; containing 120 inhabitants. Richard, Earl of Cornwall, afterwards King of the Romans and Emperor of Germany, in 1246, established a Cistercian abbey here, the greater part of which was destroyed by fire in 1271, but was restored by the founder at an expense of 8000 marks. It continued to flourish till the Dissolution, when its revenues were returned at £357. 7. 8.; there are still some remains. The parish comprises 1500 acres, of which about 250 are wood, and the remainder chiefly pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Didbrook.

Hailey

HAILEY, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Witney, hundred of Bampton, county of Oxford, 1½ mile (N.) from Witney; containing 1440 inhabitants. It comprises 2827a. 14p., of which about 1800 acres are arable, 700 pasture, 140 woodland, and 78 common. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £143; patron, the Rector of Witney, whose tithes at Hailey have been commuted for £780. The chapel, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, has been enlarged with 180 free sittings.

Hailsham (St. Mary)

HAILSHAM (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, partly within the liberty of the borough of Pevensey, but chiefly in the hundred of Dill, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 52 miles (E.) from Chichester, and 55 (S. S. E.) from London; containing 1586 inhabitants. This town is pleasantly situated on a gentle acclivity, on the road from London to Eastbourne, and within eight miles of the sea: the manufacture of rope, twine, and sacking, is carried on to a considerable extent, and there is a large brewery. A market, chiefly for cattle, is held on the alternate Wednesdays; fairs are held on the 6th of April and 3rd of June. The town is within the duchy of Lancaster, and the county magistrates hold pettysessions here every alternate Wednesday. An act was passed in 1846, for a branch to this place of the Brighton and Hastings railway; it was opened in 1848, and is nearly three miles in length. The parish comprises by estimation 4740 acres, of which 1262 are arable, 2175 marsh, 800 meadow, 261 wood, and 120 common: the arable lands are well cultivated, and the scenery is in many places picturesque. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £16. 6. 8., and in the patronage of W. Brunton, Esq.; impropriator, the Rev. G. C. Luxford, whose tithes have been commuted for £420, and those of the vicar for £599. 10. The church is principally in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower crowned by pinnacles; at the east ends of the aisles are small chapels, one of which is used as a vestry. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinists; and a national school supported by endowment, and by subscription. Mrs. E. Hooper in 1819 bequeathed £300 three per cent. South Sea annuities, to the poor; and £300 five per cent. Bank annuities, now reduced to three and a half per cent., for instruction; which latter forms the endowment of the school. The union of Hailsham comprises 11 parishes or places, containing a population of 12,433. In the reign of Henry II. a monastery of Præmonstratensian canons was founded in the parish, which was afterwards removed to Bayham; some remains of an ecclesiastical building at Otham, are supposed to be those of the monastery.

Hail-Weston (St. Nicholas)

HAIL-WESTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of St. Neot's, hundred of Toseland, county of Huntingdon, 2¼ miles (N. W.) from St. Neot's; containing 397 inhabitants. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Southoe: the great tithes, which belong to the Bishop of Ely, have been commuted for £300, and the vicarial for £95. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists.

Hainbury

HAINBURY, a hamlet, in the parish of Yeovilton, union of Yeovil, hundred of Somerton, W. division of Somerset; containing 18 inhabitants.

Hainford (All Saints)

HAINFORD (All Saints), a parish, in the union of St. Faith, hundred of Taverham, E. division of Norfolk, 2½ miles (W.) from Coltishall; containing 570 inhabitants, and comprising 1790a. 38p. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 2. 1., and in the gift of Robert Marsham, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £467. 2., and the glebe comprises 34 acres. The old church is in ruins, but the churchyard is still used: a new church has just been built on a different site, in the early English style, a cruciform edifice capable of accommodating 355 persons with sittings, 281 of which are free in consequence of a grant of £260 from the Incorporated Society. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. A national school is supported; and £30 per annum are distributed among the poor by the owners of certain common lands, pursuant to an agreement at the inclosure in 1802.

Hainton (St. Mary)

HAINTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Louth, E. division of the wapentake of Wraggoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (N. E.) from Wragby; containing 322 inhabitants. Hainton Hall is the seat of the family of Heneage. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 10. 10.; net income, £240; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church contains several ancient monuments; the steeple was taken down in 1826, and rebuilt with the same materials, and in the same form.

Haisthorp

HAISTHORP, a township, in the parish of Burton-Agnes, union of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Bridlington; containing 103 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1375 acres: the village is situated on the road from Bridlington to Driffield.

Halam (St. Michael)

HALAM (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Southwell, Southwell division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 9½ miles (W. by N.) from Newark; containing 411 inhabitants. It is bounded on the north-east by a small rivulet, and situated at the junction of the roads from Nottingham and Mansfield to Newark: the surface is hilly, and thickly wooded with oak, beech, fir, &c.; the soil is light. The village is pleasantly seated at the foot of a range of lofty hills. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Chapter of the Collegiate Church of Southwell, and has a net income of £85: the tithes were commuted for land in 1777. The church, a very ancient structure, has an old painted window, which is an object of great curiosity.