Hambledon (St. Peter)
HAMBLEDON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union
of Droxford, partly in the hundred of Meon-Stoke,
but chiefly in that of Hambledon, Droxford and N.
divisions of the county of Southampton, 5 miles
(W. N. W.) from Horndean; containing, with the three
tythings of Chidden with Glidden, Denmead, and Ervills,
2069 inhabitants, of whom 827 are in the village of
Hambledon. The parish comprises 9041a. 1r. 21p., of
which about 5922 acres are arable, 2263 down and pasture, and 856 wood; the northern part is chiefly open
downs, and in the middle are light lands of easy cultivation, and well adapted for turnip husbandry. Windmill Down was the celebrated resort of the cricket
players of Hampshire and the adjacent counties, but is
now under tillage. The scenery is generally pleasing,
and enlivened with gentlemen's seats. There is a market on Tuesday. The living is a vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £26. 19. 2.; net income, £529; patron
and appropriator, the Bishop of Winchester. The
church is a handsome edifice, partly in the early and
partly in the later English style. £20 per annum,
arising from land, are divided among four widows.
Admiral Sir Erasmus Gore, governor of Newfoundland,
resided here for many years, and was buried in the
church, in which is a marble monument to his memory.
There are remains of four ancient chapels.
Hambledon (St. Peter)
HAMBLEDON (St. Peter), a parish, and the head
of a union, in the First division of the hundred of Godalming, W. division of Surrey, 4 miles (S. by W.)
from Godalming; containing 534 inhabitants. It comprises about 1264 acres, of which the greater portion is
arable land: the scenery is romantic. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 7. 11.; net
income, £207; patron, the Earl of Radnor. The church
was much improved and enlarged in 1846, and occupies
an elevated situation: in the churchyard are two fine
yew-trees, one of which measures twenty-two feet in circumference at three feet from the ground. There is a
place of worship for Wesleyans. The poor law union
comprises 16 parishes or places, and contains a population of 12,811.
HAMBLETON, an ecclesiastical parish, in the parish
of Kirkham, union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 17 miles (N. W.
by W.) from Preston; containing 349 inhabitants. This
place is mentioned in the Domesday survey. It was
given by King John to an ancestor of the Sherburns,
who were succeeded in the possession of the manor by
the Weld family. Hambleton is situated on the northern
bank of the navigable river Wyre, by which it is separated from the rest of the parish; and comprises 1322a.
2r. 4p., whereof about 504 acres are arable, 597 pasture,
191 meadow, and a very small portion woodland. The
Wyre, which is here 500 yards in breadth, is crossed by
a ferry to Poulton, called Shard ferry. "This river,"
Dr. Leigh observes, "affords a pearl-fishing, pearls being
frequently found in large muscles, named by the inhabitants Hambleton hookins, from their manner of taking
them, which is done by plucking them from their skeers
or beds with hooks:" "these pearl-muscles," he adds,
"are very common in Lancashire." Hambleton long
formed a chapelry in the parish; but by an order in
council made 21st January, 1846, it was constituted a
separate benefice. The living is a perpetual curacy, in
the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkham; net income,
about £125. The tithes have been commuted for
£178. 13. payable to the Dean and Chapter of ChristChurch, Oxford, and £35. 19. 8. to the vicar. The
church is a plain brick building, erected in 1749, on the
site of a very ancient chapel, of which the date is unknown.
HAMBLETON, a hamlet, in the parish of Barkby,
union of Barrow, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of Leicestershire; containing 7 inhabitants.
Hambleton (St. Andrew)
HAMBLETON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union
of Oakham, hundred of Martinsley, county of Rutland, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Oakham; containing 325
inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from
Stamford to Leicester, and comprises by computation
4000 acres, of which 3000 are arable and pasture. The
soil consists of loam and clay, about half of the land
being of good quality, and the rest poor and comparatively unproductive; the surface is undulated, and agreeably interspersed with wood. The living is a vicarage,
with the living of Braunston annexed, valued in the
king's books at £10. 17. 1.; net income, £180; patrons
and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln.
In a field near the Hall is a mineral spring.
HAMBLETON, a township, in the parish of Brayton, Lower division of the wapentake of BarkstoneAsh, W. riding of York, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from
Selby; containing 607 inhabitants. The township comprises about 2200 acres. The soil is light and sandy,
but not unfertile; the surface is boldly undulated, and
the lofty and richly-wooded hill called Hambleton
Hough forms a conspicuous feature in the scenery.
A station on the Leeds and Selby railway is situated here.
The tithes were commuted for land and money payments, under an inclosure act, in 1796, when, also, an
allotment was given for the support of a school erected
in the same year. There is a place of worship for
HAMBRIDGE, a tything, in the parish of CurryRivell, union of Langport, hundred of Abdick and
Bulstone, W. division of Somerset; containing 340
inhabitants. Here is a district church, dedicated to St.
HAMBROOK, a hamlet, in the parish of Winterbourne, union of Clifton, Upper division of the hundred of Langley and Swinehead, W. division of the
county of Gloucester, 5¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from
Bristol; containing 607 inhabitants.
Hameringham (All Saints)
HAMERINGHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the
union of Horncastle, hundred of Hill, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3¾ miles (E. S. E.) from Horncastle; containing 171 inhabitants, and comprising 1179
acres. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of
Scrayfield united, valued in the king's books at £8. 14. 2.,
and in the gift of the family of Coltman: on the inclosure of the parish, an allotment comprising 200 acres of
land was made in lieu of tithes. The church is a very
ancient structure, with a curious font sculptured with
Hamerton (All Saints)
HAMERTON (All Saints), a parish, in the hundred of Leightonstone, union and county of Huntingdon, 9½ miles (N. W.) from Huntingdon; containing
160 inhabitants, and comprising 2150 acres by measurement. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £13. 5. 5., and in the gift of S. Barry, Esq.:
the tithes have been commuted for £435, and the
glebe comprises 47 acres. The church is an elegant
structure, with a handsome tower, formerly surmounted
by a spire, which was destroyed by lightning.
HAMFALLOW, a tything, in the parish, and Upper
division of the hundred, of Berkeley, union of Thornbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 697 inhabitants.
HAMGREEN, a tything, in the parish of Portbury,
union of Bedminster, hundred of Portbury, E. division of Somerset; containing 101 inhabitants.
Hammersmith (St. Paul)
HAMMERSMITH (St. Paul), a parish, in the union
of Kensington, Kensington division of the hundred of
Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, 3½ miles (W. by S.)
from London; containing 13,453 inhabitants. This village, which, by a continuity of buildings, is almost united
with Kensington, forms one of the most populous appendages to the western part of the metropolis, and is pleasantly situated, on the northern bank of the river Thames.
The principal street extends along the line of the great
western road, and a wide street called the Broadway
diverges from it towards the river; the houses are in
general of respectable appearance, and there are some
handsome ranges of modern erection. In the environs
are numerous seats and elegant villas, especially towards
the river, on the bank of which was Brandenburgh
House, a noble mansion, erected by Sir Nicholas Crispe
in the reign of Charles I., and occupied by General
Fairfax, in 1647, while the parliamentary forces were
quartered in the neighbourhood, pending the treaty
between Charles and the parliament. It was afterwards
the residence of the Margravine of Anspach, and subsequently of Queen Caroline, since whose decease the
building has been taken down. The streets are well
paved, and lighted with gas, and the inhabitants are
supplied with water by the West Middlesex Company,
established at Hammersmith by act of parliament, in
1806. The Great Western railway passes through the
northern part of the parish, parallel with and close to
the Paddington canal; and in the vicinity is also the
West London railway, noticed in the article on Kensington. A beautiful suspension-bridge leading to Barnes
Common, whence roads branch off to the south and
south-west, was erected over the Thames in 1825-7,
from a design by Mr. Tierney Clarke, at an expense of
£45,000. Here are an extensive iron-foundry and forge
for the manufacture of machinery, steam-boilers, and
other articles; two breweries; some large nursery-grounds;
and grounds for bleaching wax: a great quantity of bricks,
also, is made in the neighbourhood. A creek which extends from the Thames to the village is navigable for
barges. The petty-sessions for the Kensington division
are held here every Monday, and courts leet and baron
in November and at Easter. In July, 1843, commodious
premises were opened at Brook-Green, for the Hammersmith Police Court.
The living, formerly a perpetual curacy, became
a vicarage, under an act passed in 1834, for the separation
of the place from the parish of Fulham; net income,
£310; patron, the Bishop of London. The church,
erected in 1631, is a spacious and neat edifice of brick,
with a tower; against the north wall of the nave is a
handsome bronze bust of Charles I., erected in grateful
remembrance of his royal master, by Sir Nicholas
Crispe, whose heart, in pursuance of his directions, was
inclosed in an urn and placed underneath it. A second
church, dedicated to St. Peter, and containing 1600
sittings, whereof 600 are free, was erected in 1829, on
ground given by George Scott, Esq., at an expense of
£14,000, of which £2000 were raised by subscription,
and the remainder by a grant from the Parliamentary
Commissioners. It is a handsome edifice of Suffolk
brick, in the Grecian style, with a stone tower surmounted by a cupola, and a good portico of the Ionic
order, supporting a triangular pediment. The church
has a district annexed, containing 3565 inhabitants, and
the living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £268;
patron, the Bishop of London, who presented the communion-plate. St. Mary's chapel, a neat brick building,
was erected in 1813, at the expense of the late Richard
Hunt, Esq.: the living is a donative, in the gift of C. E.
and R. Hunt, Esqrs. Here are places of worship for
Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, and
Wesleyans. A school for boys, now in union with the
National Society, was founded in 1624, by Edward
Latymer, who gave 35 acres of land, producing a rental
of upwards of £540, of which a part is appropriated to
the clothing of 30 aged men. There are a Roman
Catholic school and chapel at Brook-Green; where also
are almshouses for four women, founded and endowed
by Thomas Isles, D.D., in 1629. A mechanics' institute
and a savings' bank have been established. In Kingstreet is a convent of Benedictine nuns, said to have
subsisted since the reign of Charles II.; at the east end
of the building is a chapel, which was rebuilt in 1810, at
an expense of £1600, defrayed by subscription. Near
the parochial church was an ancient mansion, supposed
to have been erected at the same time as the palace at
Hampton Court, and recently taken down; the apartments in the north part of the building were much
admired for the beauty of their architecture.
In a house adjoining the Dove coffee-house, Thomson the poet is thought to have written his Seasons.
Catherine, Queen Dowager of Charles II., resided for
some years in a house in the Upper Mall, in which Dr.
Radcliffe subsequently lived. Among the eminent persons interred here, are, Sir Samuel Morland, the inventor
of the speaking-trumpet; Dr. William Sheridan, author
of some sermons; Thomas Worlidge, a painter and
etcher of great eminence; Sir Elijah Impey, Knt., who
was first appointed to the high court of judicature for
the British possessions in India; George Doddington,
Lord Melcombe, a distinguished courtier and statesman
in the reign of George II.; and Arthur Murphy, a
barrister, and a dramatic writer of celebrity. Philip
James de Loutherburgh, the celebrated landscape painter,
HAMMERTON, GREEN, a township, in the parish
of Whixley, Upper division of the wapentake of Claro,
W. riding of York, 10 miles (W. N. W.) from York;
containing 334 inhabitants. The township comprises
about 1150 acres; the surface is varied. The village,
which is neat, is situated on the road from York to
Knaresborough. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Independents.
Hammerton, Kirk (St. John the Baptist)
HAMMERTON, KIRK (St. John the Baptist), a
parish, partly in the Upper division of the wapentake of
Claro, and partly in the E. division of Ainsty wapentake, W. riding of York, 1 mile (S. E. by S.) from
Green-Hammerton; containing 341 inhabitants, of
whom 255 are in the township of Kirk-Hammerton.
The parish consists of the townships of Kirk-Hammerton and Wilstrop, and comprises 2023a. 9p., of which
78 acres are woodland, and of the remainder, two-thirds
arable, and one-third pasture; the soil is very rich.
The village is situated about a mile from Skip bridge, a
neat structure of three arches, over the river Nidd, and
is half a mile distant from the road between York and
Boroughbridge; the scenery is picturesque, and the
views are extensive. The living is a perpetual curacy,
in the patronage of the Rev. T. White, the incumbent,
with a net income of £150, and a good glebe-house.
The church, an ancient edifice with a tower, was enlarged
in 1835, at a cost of £100. There is a place of worship
Hammerwich (St. John)
HAMMERWICH (St. John), a parish, in the union of
Lichfield, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of
the county of Stafford, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Lichfield; containing 239 inhabitants. This parish, which is
on the south-eastern verge of Cannock Chase, comprises
about 2000 acres, of which about half is uninclosed
common, and the remainder mostly arable, with some
pasture and meadow. It stands elevated; the soil is
very good, and the scenery extensive and beautiful,
embracing views of several counties, with Lichfield
cathedral and fourteen churches. There is an excellent
stone-quarry, the property of William Middleton, Esq.,
which supplied the material used in the restoration of
the cathedral just mentioned. The manufacture of nails
is carried on to a small extent. The Wyrley and
Essington canal passes through the parish. The living
is a perpetual curacy, net income, £70; patrons, certain Trustees; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of
Lichfield. The church is a small structure, standing
alone upon a verdant eminence: the rent of five houses
and about nine acres of land, amounting to upwards of
£30 per annum, is appropriated to keeping the edifice
in repair. A Sunday school is in connexion with the
church; and there are various benefactions for the poor
of the parish.
HAMMOON, a parish, in the union of Sturminster,
hundred of Pimperne, Sturminster division of Dorset,
7 miles (S. W. by S.) from Shaftesbury; containing 57
inhabitants. The parish is separated from that of
Mansion by the river Stour, and comprises about 630
acres; the soil is generally a fine gravel, and the surface uniformly level. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £7. 4. 2., and in the gift of the
Rev. Giles Meech: the tithes have been commuted for
£180, and the glebe comprises 22 acres.
Hampden, Great (St. Mary Magdalene)
HAMPDEN, GREAT (St. Mary Magdalene), a
parish, in the union of Wycombe, hundred of Aylesbury, county of Buckingham, 2½ miles (W. N. W.)
from Great Missenden; containing 290 inhabitants.
This place was anciently the property of the Hampden
family, of whom Griffith Hampden entertained Queen
Elizabeth here, and, to pay Her Majesty the more honour,
cut an avenue through his woods for her more convenient approach to the mansion. The parish comprises
1710 acres, of which about 300 are woodland, 64 waste
or common, and the remainder arable and pasture: the
soil is partly clay and partly gravel; the surface is hilly,
and the scenery pleasing. The living is a rectory, with
the vicarage of Great Kimble consolidated in 1799,
valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 7., and until recently
in the gift of the Earl of Buckinghamshire. The tithes
have been commuted for £295, and the glebe comprises
37 acres. A gallery has been erected in the church, and
100 free sittings provided: among the monuments is
one to the memory of the celebrated John Hampden,
ornamented with a medallion, on which is a tree with
the arms of the family and of their alliances; and
having at the foot, in bas-relief, a representation of the
action of Chalgrove, in which he received a wound,
causing his death about three weeks afterwards.
HAMPDEN, LITTLE, a parish, in the union of
Wycombe, hundred of Aylesbury, county of Buckingham, 3¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Great Missenden;
containing 83 inhabitants. It comprises 508 acres, of
which 47 are waste or common. The living is annexed
to the rectory of Hartwell: the tithes have been commuted for £64. 5., and the glebe contains 10 acres.
HAMPHALL-STUBBS, a township, in the parish
of South Kirkby, union of Doncaster, N. division
of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W.
riding of York, 7 miles (N. W.) from Doncaster;
containing 23 inhabitants. This township, which, from
its contiguity to that of Hampole, was formerly united
with it for the support of the poor, comprises about 220
acres. The ancient manor-house, which is situated on
an eminence commanding some fine views, was newly
fronted in the castellated style, about eighteen years
since, with stone obtained within the demesne, a material
of very durable texture, and beautifully variegated with
fossil shells. A rent-charge of £50 has been awarded
as a commutation for the vicarial tithes.
Hampnett (St. George)
HAMPNETT (St. George), a parish, in the union of
Northleach, hundred of Bradley, E. division of the
county of Gloucester, 1½ mile (N. W. by N.) from
Northleach; containing 195 inhabitants. It comprises
about 1350 acres. The soil is various, consisting of
down land, chalk, and clay; the surface is chiefly level,
with the exception of some rising grounds on the side of
a valley which runs through the centre of the parish. A
small brook called the Leach has its rise here, and in
its progress gives name to the town of Northleach. The
living is a rectory, with that of Stowell united in 1660,
valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £447;
patrons, the Representatives of the late Lord Stowell.
The church is principally in the early English style.
The old Fosse-way passes along the south-eastern boundary of the parish.
HAMPNETT, EAST, a hamlet, in the parish of
Boxgrove, union of West Hampnett, hundred of Box
and Stockbridge, rape of Chichester, W. division of
Sussex; containing 45 inhabitants.
Hampnett, West (St. Peter)
HAMPNETT, WEST (St. Peter), a parish, and
the head of a union, in the hundred of Box and Stockbridge, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex,
1½ mile (N. E.) from Chichester; containing 520 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Chichester to Arundel, and partly within its limits is Goodwood, the seat of the Duke of Richmond, to whom the
manor belongs. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £7. 4. 4.; net income,
£52; patron and impropriator, his Grace, whose tithes
have been commuted for £420. The church is chiefly
in the early English style, with some Norman remains,
and a tower at the east end of the aisle; in the north
wall of the chancel is a mural monument of Caen stone
to Richard and Elizabeth Sackville, whose effigies are
sculptured in a kneeling posture: the church was newly
pewed in 1838. The poor-law union comprises 37 parishes or places, and a population of 14,157.
HAMPOLE, a township, in the parish of Adwickle-Street, union of Doncaster, N. division of the
wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding
of York, 6½ miles (N. W.) from Doncaster; containing
120 inhabitants. This was the site of a Cistercian
priory, founded in 1170, by William de Clairfai and his
wife Avicia de Tarry, for fourteen nuns, and dedicated
to the Blessed Virgin; the establishment flourished till
the Dissolution, when its revenue was £85. 6. 11. There
are still some remains of the building, converted into
cottages. The township comprises about 1200 acres, of
which 150 are in woods and plantations, and the remainder arable and pasture land.
Hampreston (All Saints)
HAMPRESTON (All Saints), a parish, partly
within the liberty of Westover, S. division of the
county of Southampton, but chiefly in the hundred of
Cranborne, union of Wimborne and Cranborne,
Wimborne division of the county of Dorset, 3½ miles
(E. S. E.) from Wimborne; containing, with the hamlet
of Long Ham, 1193 inhabitants. This parish anciently
formed part of that of Wimborne, from which it was
separated about the year 1440. It is situated on the
navigable river Stour, which is its southern boundary,
and between the roads leading respectively from Southampton to Exeter and Poole. The area is 4940 acres.
The soil is mostly gravelly, and in the valleys a good
loam; the cultivated parts, which are chiefly arable, include about two-fifths of the land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 10., and in the
gift of E. S. Stanley, Esq.: the incumbent's tithes have
been commuted for £300, and the glebe comprises 60
acres; there is also a rent-charge of £53. 10. paid to
certain impropriators. The church is partly in the early
and partly in the decorated English style, and has been
enlarged with 110 free sittings. There are a place of
worship for Independents, and a Roman Catholic chapel;
and a convent has been established for 30 nuns under
the superintendence of an abbess. A national school
has a small endowment.
Hampshire.—See Southampton, county of.
HAMPSHIRE.—See Southampton, county of.
HAMPSHIRE-CROSS, a hamlet, in the parish of
South Tidworth, union and hundred of Andover,
Andover and N. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 144 inhabitants.