Hawling - Hayfield

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

450-454

Citation Show another format:

'Hawling - Hayfield', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 450-454. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51017 Date accessed: 31 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Hawling (St. Edward)

HAWLING (St. Edward), a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Winchcomb; containing 217 inhabitants. This parish, which is on the road to Stow, comprises 1887 acres by measurement: the village is pleasantly situated about a mile from the road. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 3. 8½., and in the gift of H. T. Hope, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £69, and the glebe comprises 12½ acres.

Hawne

HAWNE, a township, in the parish of Hales-Owen, union of Stourbridge, Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, Hales-Owen and E. divisions of Worcestershire, 1 mile (N. N. W.) from Hales-Owen; containing 110 inhabitants. The township is situated on the river Stour, and is of undulated surface; it contains a seam of thick coal, and has some small steel-works.

Hawnby (All Saints)

HAWNBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Helmsley, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Arden with Ardenside, Bilsdale-Westside, Dale-Town, and Smilesworth, 815 inhabitants, of whom 345 are in the township of Hawnby, 5 miles (N. W.) from Helmsley. This parish lies immediately under the eastern slope of Hambleton, and comprises by computation 22,660 acres, of which 7070 are in the township: the scenery is various, from the bleak moor to the picturesque vale. A thin seam of coal is found on the moor, but it is of little value except for burning lime; the body of Hambleton is of oolite limestone, and several of the adjoining hills are of gritstone. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 18. 6½., and in the patronage of W. Henry Frederick Cavendish, Esq., with a net income of £169. The church is ancient. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Haworth

HAWORTH, a chapelry, in the parish of Bradford, union of Keighley, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 3 miles (S. W.) from Keighley; containing 6303 inhabitants. The chapelry is situated on the brow of a hill, in a high moorland district, extending on the west to the county of Lancaster, and comprises by computation 10,540 acres, of which nearly one-half is uncultivated heath. It comprehends the manors of Haworth, Oxenhope, and Stanbury. The surface is boldly varied, and the lower grounds are watered by rivulets descending from the moorland hills, and flowing through narrow valleys of romantic character. On the banks of these streams are numerous worsted-mills, in which the population is chiefly employed; many persons are engaged in the hand-loom weaving of worsted stuffs, and there is also an extensive cotton-mill. The village is of ancient origin, and has one spacious street, from which several smaller streets diverge. Fairs for cattle are held on Easter-Monday, and the Monday after Old Michaelmasday, and are well attended. The chapel, dedicated to St. Michael, appears to have been founded prior to the year 1317; it was rebuilt in the reign of Henry VII., and enlarged in 1755, and a gallery was added in 1779: it is a neat structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower rising to the height of sixty feet. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £170, with a glebe-house; patrons, the Vicar of Bradford, and certain Trustees. A church district named Oxenhope was endowed in 1845 by the Ecclesiastical Commission; and a church has been erected at Stanbury, which is in the gift of the Incumbent of Haworth. There are places of worship for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. The free grammar school was founded by Charles Scott, who in 1638 built a school-house, and assigned lands now producing £90 per annum, for instructing children in the Greek and Latin classics; the trustees, in 1818, enlarged the schoolroom, and built a house for the master. There is also a school, with a house for a master, at Stanbury, built in 1815, by subscription, and endowed with £600 by John Holmes, Esq. On Crow Hill, the loftiest eminence in the chapelry, 1500 feet above the level of the sea, is a cromlech, evidently Druidical, consisting of one flat stone weighing about six tons, placed horizontally upon two huge upright blocks, now half embedded in the heather.

Hawridge (St. Mary)

HAWRIDGE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Aylesbury, hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Chesham; containing 233 inhabitants. It comprises 696a. 2r. 21p., of which 509 acres are arable, 124 pasture, 35 woodland, and the remainder gardens and roads. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 10. 5.; patron, the Rev. G. Sandby: the tithes have been commuted for £132, and the glebe comprises 28 acres. The church, which is very neat, contains an ancient monument of granite to Dame Dorothy Pakyngton. The old manor-house stands on a lofty artificial mount, surrounded by a moat, presenting a good specimen of a Danish camp.

Hawsker, with Stainsacre

HAWSKER, with Stainsacre, a township, in the parish and union of Whitby, liberty of Whitby-Strand, N. riding of York, 3 miles (S. E.) from Whitby; containing 724 inhabitants. The township comprises 3330 acres of land, all in the borough, and partly in the town, of Whitby. At Hawsker is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a mutilated cross in the hamlet marks the site of an ancient chapel of ease.

Hawstead (All Saints)

HAWSTEAD (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Thingoe, W. division of Suffolk, 4 miles (S.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 457 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2252 acres, of which 28 are waste land or common. It formerly belonged to the Drury family, at whose ancient seat of Hawstead Place, now a farmhouse, Queen Elizabeth was entertained in one of her progresses, by Sir William Drury, at that time its proprietor. The estate of Hawstead Lodge was purchased in 1844, for £10,650, by Sir Thomas Cullum, Bart., of Hardwick House, whose family had sold it in 1744, just a century previous. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 16. 10½., and in the patronage of Sir Thomas: the tithes have been commuted for £570, and there are nearly 38 acres of glebe. The church contains several handsome monuments. An almshouse for four women, who removed hither from Hardwick, was endowed by Sir Robert Drury; and in 1811, Philip Metcalf, Esq., endowed an almshouse for six women.

Hawthorn

HAWTHORN, a township, in the parish and union of Easington, S. division of Easington ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 10½ miles (E. by N.) from Durham; containing 177 inhabitants. This township is situated on the coast of the North Sea, which being lined with rugged and precipitous rocks, has been fatal to numerous vessels on their voyage to Sunderland. On the 5th of November, 1824, not less than 50 vessels perished in a storm immediately off this part, and the crews of all were lost, with the exception of the crew of one only, who were enabled to effect their escape by means of a rope, thrown from the vessel, and brought to land by a Newfoundland dog belonging to Major Anderson. The village is about two miles from the sea, on the acclivity of a deep and richly-wooded glen called Hawthorn-Dean, through which a stream flows, between rocks of towering height, into a natural hythe or harbour, formed by the projection of a rock called the Skaw, and which might, at a moderate outlay, be formed into a secure haven. On the south side of this bay, which is called Hawthorn Hive, is a lofty eminence named Beacon Hill, whereon fires were formerly lighted to warn mariners of their danger; and on the north side is Hawthorn Cottage, built by Major Anderson, near the site of a former residence, erected by Admiral Milbank, and designated Sailors' Hall. A school was endowed with £200 by Robert Forster, of this place, a member of the Society of Friends, in 1736.

Hawthorp

HAWTHORP, a chapelry, in the parish of Irnham, union of Bourne, wapentake of Beltisloe, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 4¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Corby; containing 65 inhabitants.

Hawton (All Saints)

HAWTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Newark, S. division of the wapentake of Newark and of the county of Nottingham, 1½ mile (S. by W.) from Newark; containing 240 inhabitants. The river Trent passes to the west of, and the river Devon runs through, the parish, which comprises by computation 2000 acres of land, chiefly arable; the surface is flat, and the soil partly clay, and partly sand resting on chalk. Plasterquarries are in operation, the produce of which is sent to London; and there are a linen manufactory and a pottery for coarse ware. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 13. 4.; net income, £851; patron, C. N. Newdegate, Esq.: the glebe contains 60 acres. The church has portions in the early English style, with decorated and later insertions; the tower is lofty, with rich tracery in the later English style. The chancel is wholly in the decorated style: on the south side are three stone stalls, and on the north a lofty arch, having deep mouldings, fine tracery, and rockets; beneath is the effigy of a knight in armour.

Haxby

HAXBY, a parish, in the union of York, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of York, 4 miles (N.) from York; containing 457 inhabitants. This parish comprises by measurement 2200 acres, of which 1365 are arable, 795 pasture, and 60 woodland; it is divided into the two manors of East End and West End. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Strensall; and a rent-charge of £24 is paid to the vicar, from 70 acres of land and six cottages, the former originally left to the church, and still called chapel lands: the tithes have been commuted for 5a. 2r. 37p. of land, awarded under an act of inclosure in 1769. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Haxey (St. Nicholas)

HAXEY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Gainsborough, W. division of the wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 8 miles (N. N. W.) from Gainsborough; containing, with the hamlets of Burnham, Eastlound, Graizelound, and Westwoodside, 2071 inhabitants. Haxey was anciently the property of the Mowbray family, whose arms are sculptured on one of three ancient crosses still remaining. The parish is situated on a hill, overlooking the Isle of Axholme, and is about three miles distant from the river Trent; it comprises by measurement 8160 acres. A few of the inhabitants are employed in the manufacture of sacking, tarpawlings, &c. A post-office has been established in the village. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £20. 17. 8½.; net income, £550; patron and impropriator, the Archbishop of York. The church is in the later English style, with a chancel of brick; on the north side of the nave is a chapel, separated from the aisle by a handsome carved oak screen There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A free school was founded and endowed by Thomas Tankersley, Esq., in 1654, and the income, increased by subsequent bequests, is now £93 per annum; a schoolroom was built at an expense of £300, in 1828. Seven almshouses were endowed with £10. 9. per annum by Mrs. Jane Farmery; and Catherine Shore bequeathed land now producing £89. 12., which, together with the proceeds of the poor's estate, £59, are distributed among the poor. Dr. Madan, Bishop of Peterborough, was vicar of the parish.

Hay, Westmorland.—See Scalthwaiterigg.

HAY, Westmorland.—See Scalthwaiterigg.

Haydock

HAYDOCK, a township, in the parish of St. Thomas in Ashton-in-Makerfield, union of Warrington, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Warrington; containing 1296 inhabitants. The manor was held jointly by the families of Holland and Haydock, so long as the former had any estates in Lancashire. In the reign of Edward III., Gilbert de Eydock, or Haidoc, had a licence for imparking Haydock; and from this feudal proprietor descended Sir Gilbert de Haydock, whose daughter and heiress married Sir Peter Legh, of Lyme, ancestor of Thomas Legh, Esq., of Lyme Hall, Cheshire, the present lord of the manor and owner of the whole property. The township comprises 2362 acres, whereof 426 are arable, 1689 meadow and pasture, 200 wood, and 47 acres roads and waste; three-fourths of the soil are clay, and onefourth loam. Here is a very extensive colliery, one of the largest in the county: the whole of the strata wrought in the St. Helen's coal-field, as it is designated, extend under this township, to the number of seventeen workable strata; the colliery has been in operation for a long period, and a sufficient quantity of coal yet remains to supply a very large demand for centuries. There is a patent-rope manufactory. The Newton station on the Liverpool and Manchester railway is three miles distant. Haydock Lodge, built by the late Col. Legh, at a cost of £70,000, is a handsome stone structure, seated in the midst of an extensive and picturesque park. It is now converted into a licensed lunatic asylum, for which its healthy situation, spacious grounds, and facilities of railway communication, render it peculiarly well adapted: it contains about 450 patients, and has a chaplain, a visiting physician, and a resident surgeon. The tithes of the township have been commuted for £141. A school is endowed with £7 per annum.—See Ashton.

Haydon (St. Catherine)

HAYDON (St. Catherine), a parish, in the union and hundred of Sherborne, Sherborne division of Dorset, 2 miles (E. S. E.) from Sherborne; containing 116 inhabitants. It comprises 638a. 1r. 39p., of which about 180 acres are arable, 425 meadow and pasture, 13 woodland, and 19 orchard-ground: stone is quarried for repairing the roads. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £5, and in the gift of Earl Digby: the tithes have been commuted for £120, and the glebe comprises 33½ acres. The church is very plain.

Haydon, or Heydon (St. Peter)

HAYDON, or HEYDON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Royston, hundred of Uttlesford, N. division of Essex, 6 miles (E. by S.) from Royston; containing 324 inhabitants. The manor was formerly held in two portions under two lords, of whom one held the basin and the other the towel at the coronation of the kings of England. The parish occupies the northwestern extremity of the county, and comprises 1239a. 2r. 25p., of which 1155 acres are arable, 70 pasture, and the remainder roads and waste. The surface is irregular, and the lands generally are among the highest of the district; the soil in some parts is thin and light, resting on chalk. The living is a rectory, with that of Little Chishall annexed, valued in the king's books at £18, and in the gift of Lord Braybrooke: the tithes have been commuted for £419. 7. 8., and there are about 50 acres of glebe. The church, a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, consists of a nave, north and south aisles, and a chancel, in which is a sepulchral chapel belonging to the Soame family. Bishop Dove, in the reign of Elizabeth, was rector of the parish; as was also, recently, the Rev. Dr. Thackeray, a late head master at Harrow.

Haydon

HAYDON, a chapelry, in the parish of Warden, union of Hexham, N. W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7 miles (W.) from Hexham, 27 (W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and 30 (E.) from Carlisle; containing 1893 inhabitants. The village of Haydon-Bridge, situated on both sides of the South Tyne river, is in this chapelry, and is large and well built, and the scenery around it very beautiful: the bridge consists of six arches, two of which were rebuilt in 1733, and three of them in 1809; it has cost the county at various periods large sums of money, but is now substantially repaired. Two extensive land-sale collieries are in operation, as is also a foundry; and a mile south of Langley Castle, in a desolate situation, stand the laboratories for smelting and refining the ores of lead and zinc raised in the Alston mining districts, under the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital, who are proprietors of a considerable portion of the chapelry, and owners of Hudgill-Burn mine. The Newcastle and Carlisle railway has a station here, immediately behind the chapel. Edward III., in 1344, granted permission to Anthony, Lord Lucy, then owner of the manor, to hold a market on Tuesday, and a fair on St. Mary Magdalene's day and the three following days, both of which have fallen into disuse.

The present chapel, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, and forming a chapel of ease, was built in 1796, on a new site, near the north end of the bridge, given by the Governors of Greenwich Hospital: the old edifice, which was spacious and venerable, and situated on a conspicuous knoll commanding a wide prospect, still exists, but diminished in size, and partly decayed. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. In 1685, the Rev. John Shaftoe conveyed an estate, now producing £1000 per annum, for the support of schools, which are conducted by a head master, two under masters, and two female teachers; the head master must be a clergyman of the Church of England, and to his duties were added, in 1819, the performance of divine service in Haydon chapel twice on each alternate Sunday. Mr. Shaftoe's trustees subsequently obtained an act of parliament empowering them to erect 20 almshouses, in which 20 men and women receive each half a crown weekly, with a limited quantity of coal, and a garment annually. The school-house is conspicuously seated on the brow of the right bank of the Tyne, and, with the almshouses, and additions of embattled walls, has a very peculiar appearance. The chapel of Langley stood on the south side of the river, perhaps on the ground called Chapel Hill, on which the school-house and almshouses now stand; it was suffered to grow into disuse when the bridge was built. The ruins of Langley Castle form a lone and solemn mass of building, consisting of an oblong square, 82 feet (within) from north to south, and 25 feet the other way, and flanked by a massy tower at each corner: the castle is mentioned in 1365 and 1368, in inquests respecting the Lucys. Threepwood, in the chapelry, was the birthplace, in 1769, of John Tweddell, the accomplished scholar and indefatigable traveller.

Haydon, with Haydon-Wick

HAYDON, with Haydon-Wick, a tything, in the parish of Rodborne-Cheney, union of Highworth and Swindon, hundred of Highworth, Cricklade, and Staple, Swindon and N. divisions of the county of Wilts; containing 367 inhabitants.

Haydor (St. Michael)

HAYDOR (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Grantham, partly in the wapentake of Aswardhurn, but chiefly in that of Winnibriggs and Threo, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 6½ miles (E. N. E.) from Grantham; containing, with the chapelries of Culverthorpe and Kelby, and the hamlets of Aisby and Oseby, 647 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 2794 acres; the soil is various, in some parts rich, and in others of inferior quality. There is a quarry of excellent freestone, which has been wrought for many years, and from which has been taken the stone for most of the churches and gentlemen's seats in the district. A pleasure-fair is held at Michaelmas, when races and other sports are celebrated. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Kelby united, valued in the king's books at £12. 6. 10½.; patron and impropriator, J. A. Houblon, Esq. The tithes of the two places were commuted for land in 1802; the glebe lands comprise 500 acres, valued at £505 a year. The church is in the early, decorated and later English styles, with a square embattled tower, and contains some ancient monuments, and fine specimens of stained glass; also some beautiful monuments in white marble, by Rysbrach, to the Newton family. In a field not far from the church, are traces of a castle said to have belonged to Hugo de Bussey, sheriff of the county in the reign of Henry I.

Hayes (St. Mary)

HAYES (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bromley, hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-atHone, W. division of Kent, 2 miles (S.) from Bromley; containing 490 inhabitants. The parish is on the road from Bromley to Westerham, and comprises 1148 acres, of which 200 are waste or common. A pleasure-fair is held on Whit-Tuesday. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 18., and in the gift of the Rector of Orpington: the tithes have been commuted for £233, and the glebe comprises 18 acres. The church has been enlarged, and 80 free sittings provided. Hayes Place, near the church, formerly a seat of the family of Scott, was rebuilt by the Earl of Chatham, and was the birthplace of his illustrious son, William Pitt.

Hayes (St. Mary)

HAYES (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Uxbridge, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Southall; containing, with the hamlets of Botwell and Yeading, 2076 inhabitants. The manor-house was the palace of Archbishop Cranmer. Near this place is the commencement of the Paddington canal; and the Great Western railway skirts the southern part of the parish. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £20; net income, £150; patrons, the Trustees of the late J. Hambrough, Esq.; impropriator, J. H. Townsend, Esq. The rectory is valued in the king's books at £40. The tithes were commuted for land and corn rents in 1809. The church, an ancient edifice with a low square tower, is in the early English style, with some small Norman portions: the font is unique in form, and sculptured; the altar-piece is a painting of the Adoration of the Shepherds, and in the chancel windows are some armorial bearings in stained glass; the roof of the church is ornamented with carved representations in wood of the sponge and spear used at the Crucifixion. Norwood, near Southall, is a chapelry to Hayes, in the gift of the Vicar; and a chapel has been built and endowed at Southall Green, by Henry Dobbs, Esq., in whose family the patronage is vested. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Methodists.

Hayfield

HAYFIELD, a chapelry, and the head of a union, in the parish of Glossop, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 4½ miles (N. by W.) from Chapel-en-le-Frith; comprising the townships of Brownside, Bugsworth, Chinley, and Hayfield; and containing 2711 inhabitants, of whom 1715 are in the township of Hayfield. This place is situated on the river Kinder, and among the lofty mountains of the High Peak: the village and neighbourhood are lighted with gas, under an act in 1836. The cotton manufacture is extensively carried on, and there are also calico-printing works and some paper-mills, together affording employment for about 600 persons; several coal-mines in the vicinity are in operation, and stone of good quality for building is quarried. The Peak canal passes through part of the chapelry. Fairs chiefly for cattle are held on the 12th of May, and are very numerously attended. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £96; patrons, the Freeholders; impropriator, the Duke of Norfolk. The chapel, a handsome structure in the later English style, was built in 1819, by subscription of the inhabitants, and contains a handsome monument, with a bust by Bacon, to the memory of Joseph Hague, Esq., who bequeathed £1000, the interest to be appropriated towards clothing 24 poor men and women. There are places of worship for Independents at Chinley, and for Methodists at Hayfield and Chinley. The free school, held in the ancient grammar school-house, was endowed in 1604, by John Hyde, with an annuity of £10; the income, with augmentations, amounts to £20. 6. The poor-law union of Hayfield comprises a considerable portion of the parish of Glossop, together with the chapelry of Distley, in the parish of Stockport, county of Chester; and contains 9516 inhabitants.



<--Previous:
Haversham - Hawley
Next:-->
Hayle - Hazon