Hemley - Hendon

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

474-478

Citation Show another format:

'Hemley - Hendon', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 474-478. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51024 Date accessed: 28 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Hemley (All Saints)

HEMLEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Woodbridge, hundred of Colneis, E. division of Suffolk, 5 miles (S. by E.) from Woodbridge; containing 71 inhabitants. The parish comprises 741a. 32p.; and the river Deben, which is navigable, skirts it on the east. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 19. 2., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £150.

Hemlington

HEMLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Stainton, union of Stokesley, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 4¼ miles (N. by W.) from Stokesley; containing 71 inhabitants. The township forms part of the district called Cleveland, and comprises by computation 1076 acres: the village is situated on the road from Stokesley to Stockton.

Hemlington-Row

HEMLINGTON-ROW, a township, in the parish of Brancepeth, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 4¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 435 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Crook to Willington, a short distance north-west of the river Wear, and comprises about 1580 acres of land. The tithes have been commuted for £85. 5.

Hempholme

HEMPHOLME, a township, in the parish of Leven, union of Skirlaugh, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 10½ miles (N. N. E.) from Beverley; containing 109 inhabitants. The township includes the hamlets of Hempholme, Hayholme, and Hallytreeholme; and comprises about 1285 acres. The principal house is situated on a hill, whence a prospect is obtained of the carrs stretching south-east to Leven, and north-east towards Brandsburton, Beeford, and North Frodingham: the vicinity is well wooded.

Hempnall (St. Margaret)

HEMPNALL (St. Margaret), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union and hundred of Depwade, E. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Long Stratton; containing 1255 inhabitants. This parish, which is also called Hemenhall, is situated two miles east of the road from Norwich to Ipswich, and comprises about 3627 acres, whereof 2681 are arable, 661 pasture, and 250 woodland. Great quantities of hurdles and hoops are made; and fairs are held on Whit-Monday and December 2nd. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; patron, I. T. Mott, Esq.; impropriator and incumbent, the Rev. R. Rolfe. The great tithes have been commuted for £599. 15., and the vicarial for £382. 15.; the glebe consists of 46 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a lofty square embattled tower. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.

Hempstead (St. Andrew)

HEMPSTEAD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Saffron-Walden, hundred of Freshwell, N. division of Essex, 5 miles (N. W.) from Finchingfield; containing 798 inhabitants. This parish, which was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Great Sampford, comprises 3507a. 1r. 11p. The soil is generally a stiff clay, with a substratum of marl, and by draining is rendered tolerably fertile; the surface is richly wooded. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Great Sampford. The church, an ancient edifice with a lofty tower, is situated on an eminence nearly in the centre of the parish; on the north side is a sepulchral chapel, in which are several monuments to the Harvey family, including one to the memory of the celebrated Dr. Harvey, who was buried here on the 26th of June, 1657. The ancient mansion of Hempstead Hall is about two miles distant from the church, in a north-eastern direction: the manor, at the time of the Domesday survey, belonged to Richard Fitz-Gislebert, from whom it passed to one of the earls of Clare; it soon afterwards came to the Veres, earls of Oxford, and among subsequent owners have been the families of Watevil, Cotton, and Harvey, the last of whom held it for many generations.

Hempstead (St. Swithin)

HEMPSTEAD (St. Swithin), a parish, in the Middle division of the hundred of Dudstone and King'sBarton, union, and E. division of the county, of Gloucester, 1¾ mile (S. W. by W.) from Gloucester; containing 224 inhabitants. The Gloucester and Berkeley canal passes through the parish, and the navigable river Severn runs along its western boundary. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8; net income £449; patron, J. Higford, Esq. In a field are vestiges of some earthworks thrown up by the royalists during the civil war.

Hempstead (St. Andrew)

HEMPSTEAD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the hundred of Happing, E. division of Norfolk, 3½ miles (N. E.) from Stalham; containing 175 inhabitants. It comprises 907a. 2r. 5p., of which 679 acres are arable, 207 pasture and meadow, and the remainder roads and waste. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of Lessingham consolidated, valued in the king's books at £9. 6. 8.; net income, £542; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge. The tithes of the parish have been commuted for £273. 10., and there are 48 acres of glebe. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower; the nave is separated from the chancel by a richly carved screen, in the lower compartments of which are figures of the Apostles.

Hempstead (All Saints)

HEMPSTEAD (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of Norfolk, 1½ mile (S. E.) from Holt; containing 296 inhabitants. It comprises 1756a. 2r. 8p., of which 1187 acres are arable, 200 in sheep-walks, 184 meadow and pasture, 161 woodland, and the remainder common and roads. In the vale of the Glaven is a large decoy for wild-fowl. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 2. 6.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich: the great tithes have been commuted for £270, and the vicarial for £140; the glebe comprises 15a. 3r. 9p. The church consists of a nave, with a low brick tower at the north-west end erected in 1744.

Hempstead, Hemel (St. Mary)

HEMPSTEAD, HEMEL (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Dacorum, county of Hertford; containing, with the chapelries of Bovingdon and Flaunden, 7268 inhabitants, of whom 5901 are in the town, 19½ miles (W. by S.) from Hertford, and 23 (N. W.) from London. This place appears from the name to owe its origin to the Saxons, by whom, on account of its situation among the hills near the confluence of the rivers Gade and Bulborn, it was called Hean Hampstede, implying a dwelling in a high or elevated situation. It was given by Offa, King of Mercia, to the abbey of St. Alban's. In Domesday book it is noticed under the names Henamstede and Hamelamstede, from which latter its present appellation is evidently deduced. The town is pleasantly situated on the declivity of a hill, in a fertile valley watered by the river Gade, which has its source within a distance of four miles; and consists chiefly of one street, nearly a mile in length, partially paved and lighted: the houses are irregularly built, but of neat and respectable appearance, and the inhabitants are amply supplied with water. The principal article of manufacture is straw-plat, which affords employment to nearly all the women and children of the labouring class; and there are several corn and paper mills in the vicinity. The Grand Junction canal, by means of which the neighbourhood is supplied with coal from Staffordshire and Leicestershire, and the London and Birmingham railway, pass through Box Moor, within one mile of the town, where is a station. The market is on Thursday, and is one of the largest in the county; a market is also held on the morning of the same day for straw-plat. The fairs are on Holy-Thursday, for cattle and sheep; the Thursday after Trinity-Sunday, for horses, cattle, and sheep; on the last Friday in June, for the sale of wool; and the third Monday in September, which is a statute-fair for hiring servants. The inhabitants received a charter of incorporation from Henry VIII., which was renewed to them by Cromwell on their acceding to the solemn league and covenant. By this charter, the government is vested in a bailiff, who is assisted by a jury of the principal inhabitants, acting as his council; the bailiff is chosen on St. Andrew's day, but possesses no magisterial authority. The court leet of the lord of the manor is, by permission of the bailiff, held in the town-hall, a long narrow building supported on square wooden pillars; where, also, a meeting of the county magistrates takes place every alternate week.


Corporation Seal.

The parish, exclusively of the two chapelries, comprises 7136 acres, of which 320 are waste land or common. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £16. 1. 10½., and in the presentation of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London (the appropriators), on the nomination of the Bishop of Lincoln. The great tithes of Hemel-Hempstead have been commuted for £1819, and the small for £501. The church is a spacious cruciform structure, partly in the Norman style, with an embattled tower surmounted by a lofty spire: the chancel is finely groined, and the east window embellished with painted glass; there is also a finely painted window at the west end, presented by the late Sir Astley Paston Cooper, Bart. The building has been enlarged, and a gallery built. The chapelries of Bovingdon and Flaunden were in 1834 separated from the mother church, and endowed. A district church has been erected on Box Moor, and endowed independently of the vicar, who, however, has the presentation; net income, £150. It contains 400 free sittings, the Incorporated Society having granted £400 in aid of the expense. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Huntingtonians, and Wesleyans. A charity school for boys, endowed with £25 per annum, and a school for girls, which has £13. 10. per annum, have been consolidated. The West Herts Infirmary, at first established at Picott's-End, in the parish, and supported by subscription, has lately been endowed with £100 per annum for the house surgeon by Sir John Saunders Sebright, who has also erected a spacious building at the south entrance to the town. The union of Hemel-Hempstead comprises 6 parishes or places, and contains 11,499 inhabitants: the poor-house, built in 1836, stands on an elevated and healthy spot overlooking the town, and is calculated to contain 200 paupers.

The remains of the old mansion-house of the Bury family, originally the residence of Sir Richard Combe, a favourite of Henry VIII.'s, consist only of a gateway, from a window over which the king is said to have delivered the charter. In Lockers' House are some curious apartments, thought to have been built by that monarch, and in the ceilings of which the royal arms are still preserved. There are also some remains of ancient buildings at a place called Heaven's Gate, on the north-east boundary of the parish. At Picott's-End, and at Noak Mill, in the vicinity of the town, are saline and chalybeate springs, said to be similar to the waters of Cheltenham; and many petrifactions of sponge and other fossils, susceptible of a very high polish, are found in the vicinity, which abounds likewise with fine specimens of chalcedony. Dr. Hugh Smith, an eminent physician and medical lecturer, was born at Hemel-Hempstead, in the year 1733; and Sir Astley Paston Cooper, Bart., pre-eminently distinguished for his skill in surgery, and who died in 1841, resided in the neighbourhood.

Hempston, Broad

HEMPSTON, BROAD, a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbott, hundred of Haytor, Teignbridge and S. division of Devon, 4 miles (S. E.) from Ashburton; containing 747 inhabitants. The parish is situated in a secluded part of the county, about two miles and a half from the river Dart, and comprises by survey 1963 acres, of which 1897 are in a profitable state of cultivation. Excellent limestone is abundant, and two quarries are wrought for burning into lime. Many of the females are employed in weaving serge for the manufacturers of Totnes and Ashburton. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £25. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown; the impropriation belongs to the Corporations of Rochester and Maidstone. The tithes have been commuted for £266, and the glebe comprises 34 acres. The church is a plain neat structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Hempston, Little (St. John the Baptist)

HEMPSTON, LITTLE (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Totnes, hundred of Haytor, Paignton and S. divisions of Devon, 1¾ mile (N. by E.) from Totnes; containing 268 inhabitants. This parish, which is on the road from Exeter to Plymouth, and partly bounded by the river Dart, comprises 1235a. 1r.: limestone is quarried for repairing the roads and for burning into lime. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 15. 2½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £200, and the glebe comprises 60 acres. The church, a wellbuilt structure with a square embattled tower, contains monuments with recumbent effigies of Knights Templars, some screen-work, and painted glass. The old glebehouse, supposed to have been erected in the reign of Richard II., is still preserved as a farmhouse, though a new residence has been erected for the incumbent, in a handsome style. There are benefactions amounting to £30 per annum for the poor. The Rev. Stephen Weston, eminent for his attainments in oriental literature, was rector of the parish for many years.

Hempton, with Patchway

HEMPTON, with Patchway, a tything, in the parish of Almondsbury, union of Thornbury, Lower division of the hundred of Langley and Swinehead, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 6½ miles (S. by W.) from Thornbury; containing 356 inhabitants.

Hempton (St. Andrew)

HEMPTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Walsingham, hundred of Gallow, W. division of Norfolk, ¾ of a mile (S. W.) from Fakenham; containing 447 inhabitants. A priory was founded here in the reign of Henry I., for Augustine canons, to whom King John granted a fair; and in the 4th of Edward I., the prior obtained leave for a market on Tuesday, but it has long been discontinued. Slight vestiges of the priory remain on the farm called the Abbey Farm. The revenue at the Dissolution was £39. 0. 9. The parish comprises about 500 acres, of which 300 are arable, 124 pasture and meadow, and 68 acres sheep-walks. Cattle and horse fairs are held on Whit-Tuesday and Nov. 22nd, and the latter is remarkable for its extensive show of cattle. The houses of the village are dispersed on the margin of a fine green. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown. The church was standing in the 12th of Henry VII., but was at length taken down, and the parishioners now attend Fakenham church. In a tumulus on the heath, an urn has been dug up.

Hempton

HEMPTON, a township, in the parish of Deddington, union of Woodstock, hundred of Wootton, county of Oxford, 1½ mile (W.) from Deddington; containing 305 inhabitants.

Hemsby (St. Mary)

HEMSBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of West Flegg, E. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Yarmouth; containing 591 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the east by the sea, and comprises 1743 acres, of which 1412 are arable, and the remainder, with the exception of 57 acres of waste or common, good meadow land. The Hall, a neat mansion with tastefully laid out grounds, is the residence of R. Copeman, Esq., lord of the manor, who holds a court in November. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 6. 8.; patron and chief impropriator, Mr. Copeman. The great tithes have been commuted for £75, and the small for £185: the vicar has a glebe of 27 acres. The church is principally in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower; the font is curiously sculptured. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. At the inclosure, fifteen acres were allotted to the poor for fuel, and nine acres to be let out in portions for gardens.

Hemswell (All Saints)

HEMSWELL (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Gainsborough, W. division of the wapentake of Aslacoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 7½ miles (E.) from Gainsborough; containing 399 inhabitants. The living, formerly a rectory, valued in the king's books at £27. 13. 4., is now a perpetual curacy: net income, £63; patron, the Rev. J. Adcock. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1792. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In the parish is the hamlet of Spittal, which derives its name from an hospital, founded for poor widows prior to the 16th of Edward II., and which is under the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln: attached to it is a small chapel. A sessions house was built in 1620, by Chief Justice Wray. A fair is held in the hamlet on November 22nd.

Hemsworth (St. Helen)

HEMSWORTH (St. Helen), a parish, in the wapentake of Staincross, W. riding of York, 6½ miles (S. S. W.) from Pontefract; containing 1005 inhabitants. The parish includes the hamlet of Little Hemsworth, and comprises by computation 4120 acres. There are some quarries of gritstone. The village, which is large and well built, is situated on a gentle eminence, and the surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 1. 0½.; net income, £1064; patron, W. B. Wrightson, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land and a corn rent in 1803. The church is a handsome structure, chiefly in the later English style, with some windows at the east end in the decorated style. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The free grammar school was founded in the reign of Henry VIII., by Robert Holgate, Archbishop of York, who endowed it with property producing in 1826 £400 per annum, but now yielding only £98, to which, however, may be added fines on the renewal of leases. Attached to the foundation is a scholarship in St. John's College, Cambridge, with preference to natives of Wakefield, Felkirk, and Hemsworth. The archbishop also founded an hospital for a master, ten brethren, and ten sisters, and endowed it with lands producing a rental of £2300, exclusive of fines on the renewal of leases; the master, who must be in holy orders, receives one-fifth of the income, and the remainder is equally divided among the brethren and sisters, yielding to each of them about £100 per annum. The building consists of a handsome range of houses, with a chapel in the centre, and a good house for the master at the southern extremity.

Hemyock (St. Mary)

HEMYOCK (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wellington, hundred of Hemyock, Cullompton and N. divisions of Devon, 5 miles (S.) from Wellington; containing 1222 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Culm, and comprises 4704 acres, of which 787 are waste land or common. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £32. 0. 7½.; net income, £694; patron, Gen. Popham: the glebe comprises 120 acres. There is a chapel of ease at Culm-Davey. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship. Here are the remains of a castle, which is said to have been garrisoned by the parliamentary forces during the civil war; the east entrance has a pointed doorway, and there are the relics of five towers. At the northern extremity of the parish is a large cairn.

Henbury, with Pexall

HENBURY, with Pexall, a township, in the parish of Prestbury, union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 2½ miles (W.) from Macclesfield; containing 453 inhabitants. The manor of Henbury cum Pexall belonged anciently to the Mainwarings, from whom it passed by marriage to the Trussells; and about the close of the 14th century, it became the property of the Davenports. Sir Foulke Lucy, who married the heiress of this branch of that ancient family, was lord of the manor in 1662; he afterwards sold the estate to Sir William Meredith, Bart., whose descendant of the same name conveyed it by sale about the year 1779 to John Bower Jodrell, Esq. The township lies on the road from Macclesfield to Knutsford, and comprises 1492 acres, of a gravelly soil. A church was consecrated on February 20th, 1845; it is a neat edifice, with a spire rising nearly 70 feet, and cost about £1600, one-half of which was given by Major Marsland, of Henbury Hall, who endowed the living with £1000. The total net income is £120; patron, the Bishop of Chester.

Henbury (St. Mary)

HENBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the unions of Clifton and Thornbury, partly in the Lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, and partly in the Lower and Upper divisions of the hundred of Henbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 4¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Bristol; containing, with the chapelry of Aust, and the tythings of Charlton, Compton, King'sWeston, and Lawrence-Weston, 2439 inhabitants. This parish is supposed to have derived its name from the Saxon Hean or Hen, Old, and Byrig, a fortified place. It is bounded on the west by the Severn, and on the south-west by the river Avon, which falls into the former at the Swash: the estimated number of acres is about 12,000, chiefly meadow and pasture; the surface is partly flat, and that portion of it in which the village is situated is gradually rising ground. The village is remarkably pleasant, and, from its vicinity to Bristol, is the residence of many of the opulent citizens. There are two passages of the Severn in the parish; the old one in the hamlet of Redwick, and that at Aust, where the river is nearly two miles across. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £30; joint patrons, Viscount Middleton, Sir S. Smyth, Bart., E. F. Colston, Esq., and the Rev. C. Gore; impropriator, H. C. Lippincott, Esq. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £838. The church is a spacious and handsome edifice in the early English style, with decorated and later insertions: the churchyard is surrounded with ivy-mantled walls, and enlivened with numerous evergreens. There are chapels of ease at Aust and Northwick. A free school, or hospital, was founded in 1623, by Anthony Edmonds, and endowed by him with the proceeds of certain lands: the income, augmented in 1736 by a bequest from Christopher Cole, Esq., is about £130; but the charity has been suspended since 1815, in consequence of great injury done to the property by an inundation of the Severn. In 1756, Robert Sandford bequeathed £1500, the proceeds to be employed in instructing poor children. Here are the remains of an old chapel dedicated to St. Blazius, a Spanish martyr, near which is a castellated summerhouse, called Blaize Castle, commanding a most delightful prospect; and upon the hill whereon the building stands is an encampment, with triple ramparts and two deep ditches, having two entrances at the opposite angles, on the line of the ancient Fosse-way: this work is commonly ascribed to the Britons, but the discovery of coins and other relics evinces its occupation by the Romans.

Henderskelf, or Castle-Howard

HENDERSKELF, or Castle-Howard, an extraparochial liberty, adjoining the parish of Bulmer, in the wapentake of Bulmer, union of Malton, N. riding of York, 3 miles (N.) from Whitwell; containing 157 inhabitants. Henderskelf is situated in the midst of a fertile and well wooded country, and comprises about 1620 acres of land, nearly the whole of which is comprehended in the park and pleasure-grounds of the Earl of Carlisle, in whom are vested all the rights and privileges of the manor. The mansion of Castle-Howard, the splendid family seat of the earls, was commenced in 1701, and completed in 1731, on the site of the old castle of Henderskelf, accidentally destroyed by fire; it is in the Grecian style, from designs by Sir John Vanbrugh, and has a front extending upwards of 360 feet. The interior is tastefully fitted up; the walls and dome are painted in fresco by Peligrini, and among other devices are, the Fall of Phaeton, Apollo and Midas, the Nine Muses, and the twelve signs of the Zodiac. Here is an ample and choice collection of paintings, statues, busts, &c., with a museum, and an antique gallery replete with curiosities. At the junction of beautiful avenues, and bordered on each side with lofty trees, stands a stately quadrangular obelisk, 100 feet in height, erected in 1714, to commemorate the victories of the Duke of Marlborough; and about half a mile eastward of the house is an Ionic temple, with four porticos, and a magnificent interior. The grounds are ornamented with several pieces of water, and on the north side is a lake covering one hundred acres. The chapel was built about eighty years since, in a very superior style, at the expense of the then Earl of Carlisle. There is an inn at the south entrance of the park. In the great storm in January, 1839, nearly 3000 tons of fine timber were blown down in the demesne.

Hendford, Somerset.—See Yeovil.

HENDFORD, Somerset.—See Yeovil.

Hendon (St. Mary)

HENDON (St. Mary), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Gore, county of Middlesex, 7 miles (N. W.) from London; containing 3327 inhabitants. This place was in the tenth century given by Dunstan, Archbishop of Canterbury, to the abbots of Westminster, who had a palace here, the remains of which have been converted into a private mansion. The village is pleasantly situated on an eminence, in a small vale watered by the river Brent, over which is an ancient bridge of stone; the houses are irregularly built. The parish contains numerous villas, and abounds with rural walks and agreeable scenery. On Highwood Hill is a mansion in which Lord William Russell resided previously to his arrest, now occupied by Lady Raffles; and near it is a mineral spring impregnated with cathartic salt. Hendon Place, the seat of Lord Tenterden, and once a banqueting-house belonging to Queen Elizabeth, is a handsome mansion, consisting of a centre and two wings, with a magnificent ball-room attached by a light arcade; the grounds have a fine undulated surface, and are enriched with some noble timber: a remarkably beautiful cedar here is said to have been planted by Elizabeth. A court leet for the manor is held on the Tuesday before Whitsuntide, and a court baron occasionally. The parishioners are exempt from all tolls throughout England, an immunity of which the farmers avail themselves in sending hay to Smithfield.

The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15, and in the patronage of J. Masterman, Esq., with a net income of £1280; impropriators, J. Fletcher, Esq., and others. The great tithes have been commuted for £1771. 7. 7., and the vicarial for £848. 10.; there are 4½ acres of glebe. The church is a spacious structure in the decorated English style, with some small Norman remains, and a square embattled tower: the altar-piece is finely sculptured, and the east window embellished with a well-executed painting of the Last Supper, and other subjects; there are several ancient monuments, and a Norman font. In the churchyard is a mausoleum to the late Mr. Rundell, the goldsmith, of Ludgate-hill. A church was erected at Mill-Hill, in the later English style, chiefly at the expense of the late William Wilberforce, Esq.; it is dedicated to St. Paul, and the living is in the gift of the Vicar. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. A schoolroom for boys was erected by John Bennet, Esq., on a piece of land given by Garrick, the actor, then lord of the manor. Robert Daniels, Esq., of London, in 1681 bequeathed £2000 for the erection and endowment of an almshouse for ten aged men and women, with which sum 132 acres of land were purchased; and six almshouses were erected in 1696, by Thomas Nichol, who endowed them for aged persons. At Mill-Hill is the Protestant Dissenters' grammar school, founded in 1807, on the site of the residence of Peter Collinson, Esq., an eminent naturalist, at an expense of £25,000. The poor-law union of Hendon comprises eight parishes or places, and contains 15,444 inhabitants. At a place called the Hyde, in the parish, a gold coin of one of the Cæsars was found a few years since. William Rawlinson, Esq., a master in chancery, and keeper of the seals; Dr. Edward Fowler, Bishop of Gloucester; Charles Johnson, a dramatic author; Dr. James Parsons, anatomist and antiquary; Sir Joseph Ayloff, vice-president of the Society of Antiquaries; and other eminent persons, have been interred here.