Hill-Croome, Worcester.—See Croome, Hill.
HILL-CROOME, Worcester.—See Croome, Hill.
Hill-Deverill (St. Mary)
HILL-DEVERILL (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Warminster, hundred of Heytesbury, Warminster and S. divisions of Wilts, 3 miles (S.) from the
town of Warminster; containing 118 inhabitants. The
living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books
at £10. 4. 2.; net income, £69; patron, the Prebendary
HILL-END, a tything, in the parish of Cumner,
union of Abingdon, hundred of Hormer, county of
Berks, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from the city of Oxford, near
the road to Witney; containing 103 inhabitants.
Hill-Farrance (Holy Cross)
HILL-FARRANCE (Holy Cross), a parish, in the
union of Wellington, hundred of Taunton and
Taunton-Dean, W. division of Somerset, 4¼ miles
(W.) from Taunton; containing 564 inhabitants. The
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £153; patrons, the President and Fellows of Trinity College,
Oxford; impropriator, Francis Popham, Esq. The
great tithes have been commuted for £142. 5., and
those of the curate for £124. 6.; the glebe comprises
13 acres of land.
Hill-Hampton.—See Hampton, Hill.
HILL-HAMPTON.—See Hampton, Hill.
HILL-TOP, a township, in the parish of Wragby,
Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W.
riding of York, 5 miles (S. E.) from the town of Barnsley; containing 92 inhabitants. The township includes
part of the village and suburbs of Wragby, and several
HILLAM, a township, in the parish of MonkFrystone, Lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York, 3½ miles (N. N. E.)
from Ferry-Bridge; containing 342 inhabitants. It
comprises by computation nearly 1500 acres. The substratum abounds with limestone of good quality, which
is extensively quarried; the commons were inclosed in
1797, and the land has been brought into good cultivation. Hillam Hall is a handsome structure in the Elizabethan style, situated in grounds commanding fine views
over the adjacent country. The York and North-Midland railway passes through the township. There is a
place of worship in the village for Wesleyans.
Hillesden (All Saints)
HILLESDEN (All Saints), a parish, in the union,
hundred, and county of Buckingham, 3¾ miles (W. by
S.) from Buckingham; containing 262 inhabitants. This
place was formerly the property of the Denton family,
of whom Sir Alexander Denton, Knt., during the parliamentary war, garrisoned his manor-house for the king;
it was, however, taken by assault and plundered, in
1644. The manufacture of lace affords employment to
many females. The living is a perpetual curacy; net
income, £64; patrons, the Dean and Canons of ChristChurch, Oxford, in whom the tithes are vested. The
church, which was rebuilt in 1493, is a handsome structure, in the later English style; in the chancel are
several fine monuments to the Denton family.
HILLESLEY, a tything, in the parish of Hawkesbury, union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of
the hundred of Grumbald's-Ash, W. division of the
county of Gloucester, 1¾ mile (S. S. E.) from the town
of Wotton-under-Edge; containing 566 inhabitants. It
lies on the road from Wotton to Bath. Here was anciently a chapel dedicated to St. Giles.
Hillingdon (St. John the Baptist)
HILLINGDON (St. John the Baptist), a parish,
in the union of Uxbridge, hundred of Elthorne,
county of Middlesex, 13½ miles (W. by N.) from London; containing, with the market-town of Uxbridge,
and the district of Uxbridge-Moor, 9246 inhabitants, of
whom 3219 are in Uxbridge. Hillingdon House, the
residence of Mr. Cox, was partly destroyed by fire in
February 1844; the drawing-room, in which the Queen
had been entertained to luncheon about three weeks
previously, was destroyed: the damage was estimated
at £15,000. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £16; net income, £489; patron,
the Bishop of London; appropriator, the Bishop of
Worcester: the tithes were commuted for land and a
money payment in 1812. The church is principally in
the later English style, with an embattled tower at the
west end, and contains, among others, a fine monument
to the memory of Henry, Earl of Uxbridge, who died in
1743: in the churchyard is the tomb of John Rich,
comedian, who died in 1761. At Uxbridge and Uxbridge-Moor are separate incumbencies.
Hillington (St. Mary)
HILLINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of
Norfolk, 7½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Lynn; containing
321 inhabitants. This parish, which is the property of
Sir W. J. H. B. Ffolkes, Bart., lord of the manor, comprises by measurement 2529 acres, whereof 1833 are
arable, 537 pasture, and 126 woodland; the soil is
chiefly chalk, alternated with sand, and the lower
grounds are watered by a very pure stream, which rises
in the parish, and bounds it on one side. Hillington
Hall, the seat of the lord of the manor, is a stately
mansion, beautifully situated in a richly-wooded park;
it was originally erected in 1627, and has been much
enlarged and improved by its present proprietor, who
has added to it a noble hall, staircase, and library.
The petty-sessions for the division are held in the village every month. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the gift of Sir W.
Ffolkes: the tithes have been commuted for £440, and
the glebe comprises 60 acres. The church is chiefly in
the early English style, with a square embattled tower,
and contains some still more ancient details, among
which is a Norman doorway of great beauty. The poor
are entitled to one-half of the proceeds of thirty-one
acres of land, bequeathed by F. Callibutt, in the reign of
Henry VIII. On an eminence commanding an extensive
view, are the remains of Belmont House, a large mansion commenced by Sir James Johnstone, but never
Hillington, or Halagston (St. John the Baptist)
HILLINGTON, or Halagston (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Loddon, E. division of Norfolk, 6¾
miles (S. E.) from Norwich; containing 64 inhabitants.
The living is a rectory, in the gift of W. A. Gilbert, Esq.:
the tithes have been commuted for £120, and the glebe
comprises 12 acres. The church is an ancient structure
in the Norman style, with a circular tower, and enriched doorways on the north and south sides, the former of which has been built up.
Hillmarton (St. Lawrence)
HILLMARTON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the
union of Calne, hundred of Kingsbridge, Chippenham
and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts, 3¼ miles (N. N. E.)
from Calne; containing, with the tything of Catcomb,
806 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the
Oxford road, comprises 4000 acres, chiefly in pasture;
the soil of the arable land is fertile, producing good
average crops: the surface is generally level, but undulated in some parts. There are some quarries of building-stone, and clay is obtained for making bricks. The
living is a vicarage, endowed with part of the rectorial
tithes, valued in the king's books at £20. 6. 8., and in
the patronage of the Crown; impropriators of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, the landowners. The
incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £493. 2. 2.,
and the impropriate for £84. 1. 2.; there are nearly 7
acres of glebe. The church is in the later English style;
the tower has been rebuilt, at the expense of T. Poynder,
Esq. Here is a place of worship for Independents.
Hillmorton (St. John the Baptist)
HILLMORTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish,
in the union of Rugby, Rugby division of the hundred
of Knightlow, N. division of the county of Warwick,
2 miles (E. S. E.) from Rugby; containing 953 inhabitants. The manor, after the Conquest, belonged to Sir
Thomas de Astley, by whose family it was sold to Mr.
Vere, merchant, of London; and after passing through
other hands, it was purchased by the daughter of Lady
Grey de Ruthyn, who conveyed it by marriage to the
Marquess of Hastings, by whom the advowson was sold
and the estate divided. The parish is situated on the
borders of Northamptonshire, and on the road from
Coventry to Northampton; and comprises by computation 3450 acres of a rich and fertile soil, of which
two-thirds are pasture, and one-third arable. It is intersected by the Oxford canal, and the London and
Birmingham railway, the rateable annual value of the
former property being £1010, and of the latter £1909.
In the parish is a capital fox-cover. The living is a
discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£6. 10. 6.; net income, £270; patron, Robert Stanley, Esq.: the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church
is a very ancient structure in the Norman style, and
contains monuments to Sir Thos. de Astley, and Lady
Edith, his mother. There are places of worship for
Wesleyans and Baptists; and a parochial school has
an endowment of £16 per annum.
Hillside, with Stapeley.—See Hillside.
HILLSIDE, with Stapeley.—See Hillside.
Hilperton (St. Michael)
HILPERTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Melksham, Westbury and N. divisions,
and Trowbridge and Bradford subdivisions, of Wilts,
1¼ mile (N. E.) from Trowbridge; containing 973 inhabitants. It comprises 1078a. 3r. 36p. The soil in
the central part is a light black loam, and in the northern and southern portions a light-coloured sandy clay;
both kinds are fertile, and produce good crops: the
surface is varied with hill and dale, and the lower lands
are watered by the Avon. Stone, chiefly for the roads,
is quarried. The manufacture of fine broad-cloth and
kerseymeres is carried on to some extent; and the Kennet and Avon canal, which passes through the parish,
affords facilities of conveyance. A fair for horses, cattle,
pigs, and pedlery, is held on the second Monday after
Trinity. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in
the king's books at £16, and in the patronage of the
family of Long: the tithes have been commuted for £260,
and the glebe comprises 27 acres. The church is an
ancient structure. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.
HILSEA, a hamlet, in the parish of Wymering,
union of Fareham, hundred of Portsdown, Fareham
and S. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 227 inhabitants.
Hilston (St. Margaret)
HILSTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union
of Patrington, Middle division of the wapentake of
Holderness, E. riding of York, 14 miles (E. by N.)
from Hull; containing 41 inhabitants. This place has
been variously written; in Domesday book it occurs as
Heldoveston, and at subsequent periods is called Hildofston and Hildeston. The parish comprises by survey
578 acres, of which about 350 are arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture; the soil is of a clayey
quality. The village is situated about a mile from the
sea. A little to the north of it is Hilston Mount, a
considerable eminence, on which is an octagonal tower of
light brick, with a circular turret on its northern side,
surmounted with a flag-staff and vane, and well known
as a landmark for mariners; the prospect is very extensive. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in
the king's books at £5; net income, £50; patron and
incumbent, the Rev. C. Sykes. The church is a small
structure in the early English style, simple and massive,
with some fine Norman remains, including a doorway on
the north of the nave, which has a zigzag moulding.
HILTON, a township, in the parish of Marstonupon-Dove, union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred
of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 8¼
miles (W. S. W.) from Derby; containing 723 inhabitants. The township comprises 1620 acres of land, and
has a large and pleasant village on the Derby and Uttoxeter road. The Wakelyn is an ancient half-timbered
mansion, with gables, and curiously ornamented. The
Wesleyans have a place of worship. A school-house
was erected about 1655, by Arthur and Thomas Harrison; and in 1781 the commissioners of inclosures
allotted land now producing £31. 10. per annum for the
support of a master. Attached to the Established
Church is an infant school.
Hilton (All Saints)
HILTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Blandford, hundred of Whiteway, Blandford division of Dorset, 7½ miles (W. S. W.) from Blandford;
containing, with the hamlets of Aller, Anstey, and part
of Hartsfoot-Lane, 730 inhabitants. This parish, which is
situated about three miles to the north of the road from
Blandford to Dorchester, comprises by measurement
3006 acres, whereof about 300 are woodland, 1300 acres
orchards, gardens, and waste, and the remainder arable,
meadow, and pasture. The soil is generally heavy, producing excellent wheat; in some parts it is chalk alternated with gravel. Bog-iron, and bituminous schist or
slate coal are found in abundance; also good brick clay
of a blue colour, in which are oyster-shells nine inches
in diameter, large scallop and muscle shells, cornua
ammonis, mineralized wood, and a quantity of pyrites.
Curious fossils have been discovered in the flint rocks,
with some chalcedony and carmelite: on the side of a
chalk hill were found the bones, teeth, and tusks, of the
mammoth; the bones were of great size, but mouldered
on being touched. Specimens of iron-ore, dug at Belchalwel, near this place, have been analyzed, and found to
contain four grains of gold in the pound weight. The
living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£8. 10. 5.; patron, the Bishop of Salisbury; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter: the great tithes have been
commuted for £255, and the vicarial for £100; the
glebe comprises six acres. The church is a light and
handsome structure in the later English style, apparently replacing one of older date, as the interior contains many details of Norman character; there are
paintings of the Twelve Apostles rudely executed on oak
panels, said to have been removed from Melton Abbey,
in the vicinity. On Bulbarrow Hill, the highest in the
neighbourhood, is a circular double intrenchment, supposed to be of Danish formation. Within the parish
are some mineral springs, the water of which possesses
calcareous and ferruginous properties.
HILTON, a township, in the parish of Staindrop,
union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington
ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 2½ miles
(N. E.) from Staindrop; containing 112 inhabitants.
The township comprises 1088a. 2r. 10p., of which the
soil is fertile and productive: it was the residence of the
Hilton family for several generations, but is now the
property of the Duke of Cleveland. The village occupies a fine situation, commanding very extensive prospects. The tithes have been commuted for £136.
Hilton (St. Mary Magdalene)
HILTON (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the
union of St. Ives, hundred of Toseland, county of
Huntingdon, 3½ miles (S. S. W.) from St. Ives; containing 344 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 1280 acres, principally arable; there are 29
acres of common or waste land: the soil is chiefly clay
alternated with gravel, and the surface generally flat.
The living is annexed to the vicarage of Fen-Stanton.
The church is in the later English style.
HILTON, a township, in the parish of Wolverhampton, union of Penkridge, in the hundred of
Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford,
4½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Wolverhampton; containing
57 inhabitants, and comprising by survey 790 acres.
This township consists of Hilton Park and three farms.
The park abounds with all the varieties of sylvan and
picturesque beauty, displayed in groves, clumps, and
plantations, all in a thriving state, and mostly planted
by the late Mr. Vernon. The Hall is a large structure
of brick and stone, erected in 1700: it is surrounded by
a moat, which is crossed by a handsome stone bridge.
The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £131.
Here was anciently a chapel, dedicated to St. John the
Baptist; and a Cistercian abbey, in honour of the
Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded in 1223, by Henry
de Audley, the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was
estimated at £89 10. 1.
Hilton, Westmorland.—See Helton.
HILTON, Westmorland.—See Helton.
HILTON-IN-CLEVELAND, a parish, in the union of
Stokesley, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh,
N. riding of York, 4 miles (N. W. by N.) from Stokesley; containing 126 inhabitants. This place, called in
the Domesday survey Hiltune, at an early period gave
name to a resident family; in the reign of Henry III.,
Adam de Hilton was lord, and since that time various
families, including the Meinells, Morleys, and Lowthers,
have held possessions in the parish, which is at present
the property of the Hon. Frederick Cavendish. The
parish is separated from that of Kirk-Leavington by the
river Leven, and comprises 1336a. 2r. 22p., of which 973
acres are arable, 308 meadow and pasture, and 38 woodland. The surface is rather hilly on the south side, and
for the most part level on the north, and the general
scenery is picturesque; the soil is a strong gravelly clay
of great fertility, and the lands in tillage produce abundant crops. The village is on the road from Stokesley
to Yarm, and commands an extensive prospect towards
the north. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£50; patron, the Hon. F. Cavendish: the tithes have
been commuted for £12. 12. The church, situated in
the centre of the village, and formerly a chapel of ease
to Rudby, is a small ancient structure.
Himbleton (St. Mary Magdalene)
HIMBLETON (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in
the union of Droitwich, Middle division of the hundred
of Oswaldslow, Droitwich and E. divisions of the
county of Worcester, 4½ miles (S. E.) from Droitwich;
containing, with Shell, extra-parochial, 481 inhabitants.
The parish consists of 2174a. 2r. 1p. of fertile land, well
wooded; two-thirds are pasture, and the rest arable.
It is watered by the Bow rivulet; and on the north-west
is skirted by the Birmingham and Worcester canal, close
to which the Birmingham and Gloucester railway passes.
There are several good fox-covers. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 6. 10½.;
net income, £110; patrons and appropriators, the Dean
and Chapter of Worcester. The tithes were commuted
for land in 1779. The church stands near the village,
and from its rude appearance must be of ancient date.
Himley (St. Michael)
HIMLEY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union, and
N. division of the hundred, of Seisdon, S. division of
the county of Stafford, 3¾ miles (W.) from Dudley;
containing 409 inhabitants. It comprises 1185½ acres,
of which 600 are park surrounding Himley Hall, and the
remainder arable. The surface is undulated, the soil
good, and the scenery pretty; and the village, which is
pleasant, is situated on the road from Stourbridge to
Wolverhampton: the inhabitants are entirely agricultural. Courts leet and baron are held annually, and
there is a copyhold court. The Hall, a splendid mansion
in the Italian style, standing in the midst of a rich and
extensive park, is the seat of Lord Ward, relative of the
gifted Earl of Dudley, late the owner, who died in 1833;
several of the apartments are spacious, elegantly decorated, and enriched with valuable pictures. In the
grounds are a magnificent sheet of water, and many
picturesque eminences, rising gradually towards the
horizon, and finely clad with ancient and modern foliage.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£3. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Lord Ward: the
tithes have been commuted for £316, and the glebe comprises 15 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a
neat brick edifice, erected in 1764, by the first lord
Dudley and Ward. A large parochial school is supported by Lord Ward; and the poor have the produce
of 3½ acres of land, purchased with several benefactions