Hoylake - Hugill

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

569-574

Citation Show another format:

'Hoylake - Hugill', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 569-574. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51051 Date accessed: 18 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Hoylake.—See Meolse, Little.

HOYLAKE.—See Meolse, Little.

Hoyland, High (All Saints)

HOYLAND, HIGH (All Saints), a parish, in the wapentake of Staincross, W. riding of York, 8 miles (S. S. W.) from Wakefield; containing, with the township of West Clayton, and part of the township of Cumberworth, 2757 inhabitants, of whom 272 are in the township of High Hoyland. This parish, which is the property of T. Wentworth Beaumont, Esq., comprises by admeasurement 2360 acres, whereof about 300 are woodland and plantations, and the remainder arable and pasture in nearly equal portions; several hundred acres are in Bretton Park. Coal of very fine quality is wrought. The village is situated on the brow of a lofty range of hills, commanding most extensive and richly diversified prospects. The living is a discharged rectory, formerly in medieties, but now united, valued in the king's books at £10. 6. 8., and in the gift of Mr. Beaumont: the glebe contains 100 acres, with a good house. The church is a neat edifice, with a handsome tower, and forms an excellent landmark, being seen at the distance of several miles. A district church has been erected at Scisset. A national school is supported, partly by an endowment of £20 per annum.

Hoyland, Upper and Lower

HOYLAND, UPPER and LOWER, a chapelry, in the parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 5 miles (S. S. E.) from Barnsley; containing 2597 inhabitants. The chapelry is situated on the road from Barnsley to Sheffield, and comprises 2008a. 1r. 1p., of which 806 acres are arable, 955 grass-land, 117 wood, 95 in homesteads and orchards, and 34 canal; it is principally the property of Earl Fitzwilliam, who is lord of the manor. The substratum abounds with coal and ironstone, of the former of which three mines are in operation; and in the neighbourhood are the extensive iron-works called Milton Furnace: the manufacture of nails is also carried on to a great extent. The village is beautifully situated, and the surrounding scenery is picturesque. The Dearne and Dove canal, which passes the border of the chapelry, affords facility of conveyance. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Earl Fitzwilliam; net income, £150. The chapel, which was built towards the close of the last century, by Mr. Townsend and his sisters, was taken down in 1830, and a new one, dedicated to St. Peter, erected on its site, at an expense of £1976, of which £1000 were a grant from the Parliamentary Commissioners; it is in the later English style, with an embattled tower surmounted by a spire. A church built by the Earl Fitzwilliam, at Elsecar, in the township, was consecrated in 1843. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.

Hoyland-Swaine

HOYLAND-SWAINE, a township, in the parish of Silkstone, union of Wortley, wapentake of Staincross, W. riding of York, 2 miles (N. E.) from Penistone; containing 713 inhabitants. The township comprises about 2050 acres: the village consists chiefly of scattered houses, irregularly built, and the inhabitants are principally employed in the manufacture of nails. There is a place of worship for Methodists of the New Connexion.

Hubberholme

HUBBERHOLME, a chapelry, in the parish of Arncliffe, union of Skipton, E. and W. divisions of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 14 miles (N. E. by N.) from Settle; containing 455 inhabitants. This district consists of the townships of Buckden and Hawkswick, and is situated on the river Wharfe, over which is a substantial bridge of stone, and in the valley of Langstrothdale. It comprises principally meadow, pasture, and wood, with only a few acres of arable land. The surface is boldly varied, rising in some parts into gentle undulations, and in others into abruptly precipitous heights of mountainous elevation; the scenery is richly embellished with woodlands and plantations, and enlivened by frequent cascades descending from the hills. In the bottom of the vale the soil is fertile, but in the upland districts chiefly peat-moss, and there are tracts of moor, covered with furze, and abounding with grouse and other game. The principal substrata are coal, limestone, and freestone: there are some mines of coal in operation, of inferior quality; and the freestone, which is good for building, is also quarried. Lead-ore is-found in the mountains, and appears to have been formerly wrought to a considerable extent; at present there is only one mine worked. The chapel, dedicated to St. Michael, is a very ancient structure in the Norman style, of which it retains numerous interesting details; the roodloft of carved oak, and an octagonal stone font, on which are human faces and various devices not inelegantly sculptured, are in excellent preservation. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Arncliffe; net income, £80; impropriators, the Master and Fellows of University College, Oxford. There is a place of worship in the village for Wesleyans. A burialground called the Sepulchre, once belonging to the Society of Friends, but now disused, is situated on an eminence.

Huby

HUBY, a township, in the parish of Sutton-on-The-Forest, union of Easingwould, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of York, 9 miles (N. N. W.) from York; containing 556 inhabitants. The township comprises about 4790 acres. The tithes have been commuted for £32. 19. payable to an impropriator, and £362. 1. 5. to the rector, who has also a glebe of 31 acres. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans.

Hucclecote

HUCCLECOTE, a hamlet, in the parish of Churchdown, union of Gloucester, Upper division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's-Barton, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2½ miles (E. S. E.) from the city of Gloucester; containing 455 inhabitants.

Hucking (St. Margaret)

HUCKING (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Hollingbourne, hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 5 miles (E. by N.) from Maidstone; containing 117 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1188 acres, of which about 240 are pasture, 330 wood, and the rest arable. The village stands on the ridge of a line of chalk hills, and was anciently called Honkynge, from its elevated situation. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Hollingbourne: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £140, and the vicarial for £70.

Hucklow, Great

HUCKLOW, GREAT, a hamlet, in the parish of Hope, union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 2¼ miles (N. E.) from the town of Tideswell; containing 242 inhabitants. There are places of worship for Presbyterians, Wesleyans, and Unitarians.

Hucklow, Little

HUCKLOW, LITTLE, a liberty, in the parish of Hope, union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 2 miles (N. N. E.) from Tideswell; containing 218 inhabitants.

Hucknall-Under-Huthwaite

HUCKNALL-UNDER-HUTHWAITE, a hamlet, in the parish of Sutton-in-Ashfield, union of Mansfield, N. division of the wapentake of Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Mansfield; containing 887 inhabitants. It comprises 800 acres of land. Here is an extensive colliery; and many of the inhabitants are engaged in frame-work knitting. The village is one mile and a half west-northwest of that of Sutton. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship.

Hucknall-Torkard (St. Mary Magdalene)

HUCKNALL-TORKARD (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Basford, N. division of the wapentake of Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham, 6½ miles (N. N. W.) from Nottingham; containing 2680 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3500 acres, according to the award under an act of inclosure: limestone of good quality is quarried for burning into lime. Frame-work knitting is carried on to a considerable extent, and great quantities of stockings are made. The village, consisting of one long street, is indifferently built. The river Leen flows past the eastern boundary of the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £4. 18. 1½.; net income, £135; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Portland: the tithes were commuted for land in 1769. The church is an ancient edifice, containing several monuments to different members of the Byron family, lords of Newstead Abbey, about two miles distant. Here lie the remains of the late celebrated poet, who was interred here, on the 16th of July, 1824, in the family vault: in the chancel is a neat mural monument, with an appropriate inscription, to his memory, placed there by his lordship's sister, the Hon. Augusta Mary Leigh; and a book is kept in the church, wherein the names of several hundred visiters to the poet's tomb are entered. There is also a monument to his ancestor, Richard, Lord Byron, who, with seven brothers, faithfully served Charles I. during the civil war, and sustained great losses and hardships on account of loyalty to that monarch. The parish contains places of worship for General Baptists, and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.

Huddersfield

HUDDERSFIELD, a borough, market-town, and parish, and the head of a union, in the Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York; comprising the chapelries or districts of Golcar, Lindley, Longwood, Paddock, Scammonden, Slaithwaite, and part of Marsden; and containing 38,454 inhabitants, of whom 25,068 are in the town, 40 miles (S. W.) from York, and 189 (N. N. W.) from London. This place, called in the Domesday survey Odersfelt, is supposed to have derived that name from Oder, one of the earliest of the Saxon settlers on the river Colne. Though in the immediate vicinity of the Roman station Cambodunum, and subsequently of the Saxon fortress of Almondbury, it seems to have remained undistinguished by any event of importance; and at the time of the Conquest is described as a barren waste. The first historical notice of the place occurs in a grant made in the year 1200, by Colin de Dammeville, to the monks of Stanlaw, of all "his part of the mill of Huddersfield," which, together with other grants, he had received from Roger de Lacy; and in the 3rd year of the reign of Richard II., it appears that the privilege of free-warren in Huddersfield was bestowed upon the prior and canons of Nostel. The manor, which is within the honour of Pontefract, has, since the time of the Reformation, belonged to the Ramsden family, who, in the 23rd of Charles II., obtained for the inhabitants a weekly market, and whose descendant, Sir William Ramsden, Bart., is the present proprietor. The peculiar advantages the place derives from its copious river, and the abundance of coal in the immediate vicinity, led to the establishment of various works, and during the last century, it has been steadily increasing in manufacturing importance; within the last 30 years it has more than doubled its population, and it is at present one of the principal seats of the woollen manufacture in the county.

The town is situated on the summit and acclivities of an eminence, in the beautiful valley of the Colne, and on one of the great roads from Leeds to Manchester; the streets, many of which have been formed during the last few years, are regular and airy, and the houses are generally well built. A number of good houses and public buildings have been erected of the fine durable freestone raised from neighbouring quarries; and the numerous alterations that have taken place, by removing obstructions, and widening the principal thoroughfares and approaches, have given the town a handsome and attractive appearance. These improvements, which are still in progress, have been made under a local act, obtained in 1820, for lighting, watching, paving, and cleansing; the streets are well paved, and lighted with gas, from works established in 1821, which, being on a scale inadequate to the supply required, were rebuilt on a larger and more eligible plan, in 1824, at an expense of £10,000, raised by a proprietary of £20 shareholders. The inhabitants were formerly supplied with water from the Colne, by works originally constructed in 1743, but are now supplied with purer water from the springs of Longwood and Golcar, to the west of the town, by works erected in 1827, at an expense of £10,000, and extended in 1847, at an expense of about £20,000. The subscription library was established in 1807, and has a collection of more than 5000 volumes. A scientific and mechanics' institute was formed in 1825, but not being well supported by the operative classes, it was discontinued after a few years, and a new institution, under the appellation of the Philosophical Society, was substituted, for which the present Philosophical Hall, a handsome building in the Grecian style, was erected in 1837, at an expense of £3150; it is 117 feet in length, and 60 feet in depth, and contains a valuable library, a museum, and a laboratory. A law library was established in 1829; and there are two public reading and news rooms, and a mechanics' institute of recent formation. About half a mile to the south is Lockwood Spa, the water of which is highly esteemed for its medicinal virtues. The environs of the town are remarkably pleasant, and abound with features of interest, and with picturesque and varied scenery.

The manufacture of woollens and fancy goods, which is carried on to a very great extent, both in the town and in the adjacent villages, consists of broad and narrow cloths, kerseymeres, serges, and cords, shawls, waistcoatings, and other fabrics of cotton, worsted, and silk, in various combinations, and of the most elegant patterns. For the better accommodation of the manufacturers and purchasers, a Cloth Hall was erected by Sir John Ramsden in 1765, and, from the great increase of business, enlarged by his son in 1780. The present Hall, which is two stories high, incloses a circular area 880 yards in circumference, divided into two semicircles by a range of building one story high, forming a diameter; and the semicircles are subdivided into streets of shops, or stalls. Above the entrance is a handsome cupola, with a clock and bell for regulating the opening and shutting of the Hall, which is wholly lighted from within the area, and on market-days is open from an early hour in the morning, for the transaction of business, till half past twelve, when it is closed till three o'clock, and again opened for the removal of the various articles exposed for sale. Some hundreds of manufacturers attend the Hall on the market-days, mostly from the country.

An act was passed in 1845, for the formation of a railway from the old Manchester and Leeds line at Kirk-Heaton, through Huddersfield, to Stalybridge: this new railway forms part of the direct communication between Leeds and Manchester. That portion of the line which reaches from Kirk-Heaton (or Cooper-Bridge) to Huddersfield was opened in the summer of 1847; it enters the town by a stupendous viaduct of 45 arches, and the station here is a commodious and handsome building, the first stone of which was laid by Earl Fitzwilliam, Oct. 9th, 1846. Another act was obtained in 1845 for a railway from Huddersfield to the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway, at Penistone; it leaves the town by a grand viaduct over the meadows at Lockwood. Great facility is also afforded to the trade of the place by inland navigation, both to the east and west extremities of the country. The Ramsden canal, commencing at the King's Mills, close to the town, crosses the high road to Leeds, and, passing the Blackhouse-brook, near Deighton, forms a junction with the Calder, in the vicinity of Cooper-Bridge, opening a communication with Halifax, Wakefield, Leeds, York, and Hull. The Huddersfield canal, constructed under an act of parliament in 1794, joins the Ramsden canal, at the southern extremity of the town, and runs westward by Longwood, Slaithwaite, and Marsden. It passes through a tunnel 5450 yards in length, and in some parts at 220 yards below the surface, to within 2½ miles of Dob-Cross; and after crossing the river Tame in several of its windings, and approaching within a mile of Lydgate, it passes Mossley and Stalybridge, and unites with the Ashton and Oldharn canal, near Ashton, whence there is communication by water from Liverpool. The market, which is plentifully supplied with corn, is on Tuesday: a customary market for provisions of all kinds is held on Saturday; and there is a large fair for cattle and horses on the 14th of May, numerously attended; also fairs on the 31st of March, and the 4th of October, but comparatively unimportant. The market-place is an extensive area, surrounded with good houses and shops, most of which have been rebuilt within the last fifty years. A constable and deputy constable are annually chosen by the inhabitants; and a very efficient police has been established by the commissioners under the general act for improving the town. The petty-sessions for the Upper division of Agbrigg are held at the court-house, every Tuesday and Saturday: the powers of the county debtcourt of Huddersfield, established in 1847, extend over part of the registration-district of Huddersfield. By the act of the 2nd of William IV., cap. 45, the place was constituted an electoral borough, with the privilege of sending one member to the imperial parliament; the returning officer is annually appointed by the sheriff.

The parish comprises about 15,080 acres; the soil, originally indifferent, has been greatly improved, and the rural districts have been rendered fertile and productive, and yield abundant crops of the finest wheat, barley, and other grain. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £17. 13. 4.; net income, £500; patron and impropriator, Sir William Ramsden, Bart.: the greater part of the vicarial tithes was commuted for land, under an act of inclosure, in 1786. A new vicarage-house, of which the first stone was laid in October, 1841, has been completed. The original church, a small ancient structure, founded and endowed by the Lacy family soon after the Conquest, was rebuilt in 1506, and again in 1836, upon a larger scale, by voluntary contributions; it is a very handsome structure in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower crowned by pinnacles, and contains 1620 sittings, of which 150 are free. Trinity district church, erected in 1819, by the late Benjamin H. Allen, Esq., of Greenhead, on his own land, at an expense of £12,000, to which he added £4000 for its endowment, is an elegant structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains 1500 sittings, whereof 500 are free: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mrs. Davies; net income, £135. St. Paul's church, erected in 1831, on a site given by Sir J. Ramsden, at a cost of £5486, defrayed by the Parliamentary Commissioners, is in the early English style, with an embattled tower surmounted by a graceful spire, and contains 1200 sittings, of which 250 are free: the living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £200; patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield. Christ Church, situated on an eminence north of the town, named Woodhouse, and erected under a special act of parliament, in 1825, by John Whitacre, Esq., who gave the site, and £6000 towards the building and endowment, is a small cruciform edifice with a tower and spire, and contains 600 sittings, of which 100 are free: the living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Bishop of Ripon. There are churches at Slaithwaite and Scammonden or Deanhead, ancient chapelries in the parish, and also at Paddock, Lindley, Longwood, and Golcar; the patronage of each of which is in the Vicar. Two places of worship have been opened for Independents; one of them cost £6000, in 1835, and the other £6500, in 1845. Here are also two for Wesleyans, one of which was erected in 1819, at a cost of £8000; one for the Society of Friends; one each for Primitive Methodists and Methodists of the New Connexion; and a Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1833. In several of the adjoining hamlets, are smaller meeting-houses.

The Huddersfield Collegiate School was established, on the principles of the Church of England, by a body of proprietors in shares of £21 each, in 1838. The patrons are, the Archbishop of York, the Bishop of Ripon, and the Earls of Harewood and Dartmouth; and the institution is under the direction of a president and council, the Vicar of Huddersfield being the former, and has a principal, vice-principal, and the usual number of masters. The building is on a commanding eminence, to the left of the road leading to Bay-Hall, and convenient houses have been built by the council for the principal and vice-principal, the whole of the grounds comprising a site of about six acres. Huddersfield College was founded by a proprietary of gentlemen of various religious denominations, upon the plan of the schools attached to the London University College, and was opened on the 21st of January, 1839. The buildings, which are situated on an elevated and salubrious site on the Halifax road, were erected at an expense of £5000, and form a handsome structure of stone, in the later English style, occupying an area 108 feet square. In the centre is the grand hall, loftier than the surrounding buildings, with projecting turrets at the angles, and an embattled parapet crowned by pinnacles. The Dispensary, established in 1814, has been consolidated with the Huddersfield and Upper Agbrigg Infirmary, for which a spacious building, in the Grecian-Doric style, was erected in 1831, at an expense of nearly £5000, raised by subscription, and the profits of a sale of fancy articles; it is adapted to the reception of 40 in-patients, and attached are two acres of land, granted at a nominal rent, for 999 years, by Sir J. Ramsden. About 36 acres, called the Dole Land, were purchased for £200, the bequest of Thomas Armitage to the poor in 1647, and now produce £82 per annum, which sum, with the proceeds of various small benefactions, is distributed on St. Thomas' day, by the vicar and trustees, among such of the poor as do not receive parochial relief. The union comprises 34 townships and chapelries.

Huddington (St. Michael)

HUDDINGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Droitwich, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Worcester and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Droitwich; containing 122 inhabitants. The parish consists of 941a. 1r. 22p. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £56; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Shrewsbury, who owns the entire parish. The church is a stone edifice, containing 72 sittings. There are remains of an ancient court-house, formerly the residence of the Wintour family, two of whom were implicated in the Gunpowder plot, and executed: in the interior are two fine specimens of wood-carved mantel-pieces of that period.

Huddleston, with Lumby

HUDDLESTON, with Lumby, a township, in the parish of Sherburn, Upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York, 7 miles (N. N. W.) from Ferry-Bridge; containing 247 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1320 acres: at the inclosure in 1794, an allotment was awarded in lieu of tithes. The York and North Midland railway passes through, and a curved branch of a mile and a quarter joins the Leeds and Selby railway. The hamlet of Huddleston lies one mile west, and Lumby two miles south, of the village of Sherburn. Huddleston Hall, the ancient seat of the Huddleston family, is now a farmhouse. Here is a quarry of fine stone which, although soft at first, acquires considerable hardness by exposure to the atmosphere: the chapel of Henry VII., in Westminster Abbey, was partly built of it.

Hudnall

HUDNALL, a hamlet, in the parish of Eddlesborough, poor-law union of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham; containing 92 inhabitants.

Hudswell

HUDSWELL, a chapelry, in the parish of Catterick, union of Richmond, wapentake of Hang-West, N. riding of York, 1¾ mile (W. S. W.) from Richmond; containing 258 inhabitants. This township is situated on the banks of the Swale, and comprises 1239 acres, whereof 130 are common or waste. Its scenery is enriched with wooded acclivities, interspersed with rocky ridges of limestone; and the river, winding along the valley to which it gives name, imparts a lively and pleasing aspect: the higher grounds command some diversified prospects, and the view from the churchyard is one of the finest in the district of Richmondshire. The soil is generally clayey, and a considerable portion of the chapelry is moorland. The village is on the road leading to Reeth and Leyburn, and at no great distance from the river. The chapel contains a piscina, apparently of great antiquity; the number of sittings is 100. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Catterick; net income, £80. A national school is supported by subscription, and by the proceeds of an allotment of waste on the inclosure of the moors, amounting to £16 per annum. On the lands of Hudswell-Grange, about half a mile to the south of the village, is a mineral spring, the water of which is impregnated with sulphur and magnesia.

Huggate (St. Mary)

HUGGATE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Pocklington, Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 7½ miles (N. E.) from Pocklington; containing 462 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the Wolds, and comprises by measurement 7000 acres, of which nearly the whole is good arable land in a high state of cultivation. Its surface is generally undulated, and interspersed with deep dales; the soil is a chalky loam, resting on a bed of chalk, occasionally mixed with flint. The village, standing on an abrupt acclivity of the Wolds, consists of numerous scattered houses; the inhabitants are supplied with water from a well 348 feet in depth. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted partly for a money payment, and partly for land; net income, £449. The church is a handsome structure, chiefly in the Norman style, with portions of a later date, and an embattled tower surmounted by a lofty octagonal spire; it is supposed to have been built by Ralph de Paganel, about the year 1233. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Traces exist of two ancient roads intersecting the parish, and connecting two distant Roman stations; and there are numerous British intrenchments, with tumuli, and other relics of antiquity.

Hugglescote.—See Donnington.

HUGGLESCOTE.—See Donnington.

Hughditch

HUGHDITCH, a tything, in the parish of Froxfield, union of Hungerford, hundred of Kinwardstone, Marlborough and Ramsbury, and S. divisions of the county of Wilts; containing 24 inhabitants.

Hughenden.—See Hitchenden.

HUGHENDEN.—See Hitchenden.

Hughley (St. John the Baptist)

HUGHLEY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Atcham, liberty of the borough of Wenlock, S. division of Salop, 4¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Wenlock; containing 127 inhabitants. It derived its name from Hugh de Lea, proprietor of the manor in the twelfth century, and ancestor of the Leas of Langley and Lea Hall. In the reign of Richard II., a special commission was issued to inquire into the best method of protecting travellers and the surrounding country against the lawless depredations of the banditti, who infested the extensive woods of Hughley. The parish comprises by computation 1110 acres, of which the soil is a poor clay; coal-mines are supposed to have been formerly worked, and there are quarries of excellent limestone. The road from Wenlock to Church-Stretton runs near the south-eastern boundary. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 11. 3., and in the gift of the Earl of Bradford: the tithes have been commuted for £73, and the glebe contains about 90 acres, of which 50 are in the parish of Stottesden, and 40 in the parishes of Hughley, Kenley, and Church-Preen; the glebe-house was erected in 1827. The church is a neat edifice, and is supposed to have been originally very handsome: the nave is separated from the chancel by a carved oak screen; there is a small tower with four bells. The edifice was repaired and repewed in 1842, by donations from the patron, rector, the London and the Hereford Societies for building and repairing churches, and by a rate.

Hugil

HUGIL, a chapelry, in the parish, union, and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 6¼ miles (N. W.) from Kendal; containing 382 inhabitants. Bobbinturning and the manufacture of woollen-cloth are carried on. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £91; patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The chapel, rebuilt in 1743, by Robert Bateman, in a peculiarly neat style, stands in the village of Ings. The free school was endowed in 1650, by Rowland Wilson, with £12 per annum, which endowment was augmented with £8 per annum (lost through neglect) by Robert Bateman, who also gave £1000 for purchasing an estate and erecting eight almshouses.