Ibberton (St. Eustache)
IBBERTON (St. Eustache), a parish, in the union
of Sturminster, hundred of Whiteway, Sturminster
division of Dorset, 7 miles (W. by N.) from BlandfordForum; containing 232 inhabitants. It is intersected
by a range of hills from east to west, dividing the downs,
and the hill or arable land, from a vale consisting of
meadow and pasture; the soil on the south or high
side is chalk, and on the north loamy clay, with a substratum of blue clay. The parish comprises 1383a. 3r.
16p., of which 332 acres are arable, 565 meadow and
pasture, 286 down, and 37 wood. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 13. 9., and in
the gift of Lord Rivers: the tithes have been commuted for £190, and the glebe comprises 57 acres. The
church is an ancient edifice, standing on the side of the
hill, and commanding a fine view of the vale of Blackmoor.
IBLE, a township, in the parish and hundred of
Wirksworth, S. division of the county of Derby, 4½
miles (N. W.) from Wirksworth; containing 93 inhabitants. It comprises 412 acres of rich grazing land;
and has a neat village, pleasantly situated on a bold elevation. The tithes have been commuted for £47. 17.,
of which £47 are paid to the impropriator, and 17s. to
the vicar of Wirksworth. There is a place of worship
for Primitive Methodists.
IBSLEY, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of
Fordingbridge, union of Ringwood, Ringwood and
S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 2½ miles
(N. by E.) from the town of Ringwood; containing 325
inhabitants. It comprises 1748 acres, of which 883 are
common or waste. The chapel, dedicated to St. Martin,
has been rebuilt.
Ibstock (St. Denis)
IBSTOCK (St. Denis), a parish, in the union of
Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from
Ashby-de-la-Zouch; containing, with the chapelry of
Donnington with Hugglescote, 2002 inhabitants. The
parish comprises upwards of 4600 acres; the surface is
gently undulated, and the soil in general fertile. The
south side is intersected by three small rivulets, two of
which have their source in that part of the parish, and,
flowing in streams nearly parallel, form a junction just
before entering the next parish; they are both easily
available for the purpose of irrigation. Coal is obtained,
a considerable quantity of which is sent to Leicester by
the Leicester and Swannington railway, which passes
through the extremity of the parish. Clay, marl, gravel,
sand, and freestone abound; and there is an extensive
yard in which every variety of bricks is made. In the
village, which is large, are many stocking-frames. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£19. 8. 11., and in the gift of the Bishop of Rochester:
the tithes have been commuted for £522, and the glebe
comprises about 550 acres, with a good glebe-house.
The church is an ancient edifice with a tower surmounted
by a spire, and is situated at the extremity of the village.
There is a chapel of ease at Hugglescote; and at Coalville is a district church, a neat stone edifice containing
450 sittings, consecrated August 4th, 1840, and endowed
by the Rev. Thomas Webb Minton, in whom the patronage is vested. There are places of worship for General
Baptists and Wesleyans. A national school, to which
the rector contributes liberally, was established in 1818;
and there is another for Hugglescote and Donnington.
Archbishop Laud was for nine years, from 1617 to 1626,
incumbent of the parish.
Iccomb (St. Mary)
ICCOMB (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Stow, Upper division of the hundred of Slaughter,
E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (S. E.)
from Stow; containing 162 inhabitants, and comprising
510a. 3r. 6p. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £8; net income, £149; patrons, the
Dean and Chapter of Worcester: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1809. There
is a chalybeate spring. A priory was founded by Gervaise Paganel, as a cell to Wenlock Priory; the revenue,
at the suppression, was £36. 3. Here are the remains
of an encampment, supposed to be Danish.
Ickborough, or Igborough (St. Peter)
ICKBOROUGH, or Igborough (St. Peter), a
parish, in the union of Swaffham, hundred of Grimshoe, W. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from
Brandon; containing 220 inhabitants. It comprises
1598a. 3r. 9p., about two-thirds of which are arable,
333 acres pasture, meadow, and heath, and 126 woodland. The living is a discharged rectory, united to that
of Langford: the tithes have been commuted for £124,
and the glebe comprises 33 acres. The poor have twentyseven acres of land, left by Sarah and Mary Dingles.
Here was an hospital for lepers, with a free chapel dedicated to St. Mary and St. Lawrence, founded by William
Barentum in the reign of Edward I.; the revenue, at
the Dissolution, was valued at £3. 7. 6. The chapel has
been converted into cottages.
Ickenham (St. Giles)
ICKENHAM (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of
Uxbridge, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, 2¾ miles (N. E.) from Uxbridge; containing 396
inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1500 acres,
of which more than 1200 are meadow and pasture. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.;
net income, £382; patron, T. T. Clarke, Esq. The greater
portion of the tithes were commuted for land and a
money payment, under an act of inclosure, in 1780; and
the remainder have recently been commuted for a rentcharge of £40. 2. 7.: the glebe consists of 13 acres.
The church is an ancient structure.
Ickford (St. Nicholas)
ICKFORD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union
of Thame, partly in the hundred of Ewelme, county of
Oxford, but chiefly in that of Ashendon, county of
Buckingham, 4¼ miles (W. by N.) from Thame; containing, with the hamlet of Draycott, 386 inhabitants.
This is supposed by some writers to be the place where
the treaty between Edward and the Danes was signed,
in 907. The parish comprises 1133a. 1r. 3p., of which
820a. 3r. 13p. are pasture, and 312a. 1r. 30p. arable
land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books
at £9. 9. 7.; net income, £392; patron, the Rev. J. C.
Townsend. Here is a place of worship for Baptists.
Calybute Downing, a celebrated divine in the seventeenth
century, and Gilbert Sheldon, afterwards Archbishop of
Canterbury, were rectors of the parish, to which, during
his incumbency, the latter presented part of the communion-plate.
Ickham (St. John the Evangelist)
ICKHAM (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in
the union of Bridge, hundred of Downhamford,
lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 1¾ mile
(N. W. by N.) from Wingham; containing 577 inhabitants. It comprises 2438a. 3r. 28p., of which about
1434 acres are arable, 632 meadow, 167 wood, and 89
in hop-grounds. The living is a rectory, with the chapel
of Weald (now a ruin) annexed, valued in the king's
books at £29. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Archbishop
of Canterbury: the tithes have been commuted for
£1000, and the glebe contains 21 acres, with a house.
The church is in the form of a cross, and in the early
English style, with some decorated windows, and a
Norman door; it was restored in 1846. The Roman
road from Canterbury to Richborough passes through
Ickleford (St. Catherine)
ICKLEFORD (St. Catherine), a parish, in the
union of Hitchin, hundred of Hitchin and Pirton,
county of Hertford, 1¾ mile (N.) from Hitchin, on the
road to Bedford; containing 570 inhabitants. The
females are employed in platting straw. The village is
on the line of the ancient Ikeneld-street; a fair is held
in it on the 2nd of August. The living is a vicarage,
with that of Pirton united, valued in the king's books at
£8; net income, £363; patron, the Rev. Charles Peers.
The church is an ancient structure, in the Norman style,
with later additions.
Icklesham (St. Nicholas)
ICKLESHAM (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the
union of Rye, hundred of Guestling, rape of Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 2 miles (W. by S.) from
Winchelsea; containing 681 inhabitants. The parish
is situated on the coast-road from Dovor to Hastings
and Brighton, and is bounded on the east by the English
Channel and the mouth of Rye harbour. The site of the
new town of Winchelsea was formerly a part of this
parish, called Petit Higham, but was purchased by the
inhabitants of Old Winchelsea, which is now covered by
the sea; the remains of Camber or Winchelsea Castle,
erected by Henry VIII. for the defence of the coast, are
still within the limits of Icklesham parish. This castle,
which was erected at an expense of £23,000, consists of
a large round tower forming the keep, and several
smaller towers of similar form, connected with each other
by curtains. The surface is beautifully diversified with
hill and dale, and from many points are extensive views
of the adjacent country. The Brede canal and the
Grand Military canal skirt the parish. The living is a
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 1. 8.; net
income, £715; patron, the Bishop of Chichester; impropriators, W. L. Shadwell and W. Briscoe, Esqrs., and
others. The church is partly in the early and partly in
the later English style, with some portions of the Norman, and has a square embattled tower. The old vicarage-house was lately taken down and rebuilt in a handsome style, by the Rev. Thomas Richards. Mineral
Ickleton (St. Mary Magdalene)
ICKLETON (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the
union of Linton, hundred of Whittlesford, county of
Cambridge, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Saffron-Walden;
containing 700 inhabitants. This place was the seat of
a Benedictine nunnery, founded in the reign of Henry II.,
to the prioress of which a weekly market and an annual
fair were granted by Henry III.; the market has long
been discontinued, but the fair is still held on the 22nd
of July: the convent flourished till the Dissolution,
when its revenue was returned at £80. 1. 10. The parish is partly bounded by a branch of the river Cam,
which separates it from the county of Essex; and comprises by computation 2700 acres, whereof 150 are pasture, and the remainder arable. Its soil, resting chiefly
on chalk, in some places alternated with clay, is for the
far greater part thin and poor. The living is a vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £8. 6. 8.; net income, £114;
patron, the Bishop of Ely; appropriators, the Dean and
Canons of Windsor. The tithes were commuted for
land and a money payment in 1810. The church, supposed to have been built before the Conquest, contains
Icklingham (All Saints and St. James)
ICKLINGHAM (All Saints and St. James), consolidated parishes, in the union of Mildenhall, hundred of Lackford, W. division of Suffolk, 3½ miles
(E. S. E.) from Mildenhall; containing 525 inhabitants.
This place is by some antiquaries supposed to have been
the Villa Faustina of the Romans; an opinion chiefly
resting on the discovery of many Roman coins, some
tessellated pavement, which is preserved in the floor of
the chancel of the church, and several tumuli and other
relics of antiquity. The parish comprises 6450 acres,
and is watered by the river Lark. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £24. 8. 11½.;
net income, £504; patron and incumbent, the Rev. D.
Gwilt. The tithes of All Saints' have been commuted
for £320. 2., and the glebe comprises 20½ acres; those
of St. James' have been commuted for £239. 18., with a
glebe of 41 acres. In the church of St. James' are numerous monuments to the family of Gwilt, lords of the
manor. About £45 per annum, arising from land, are
distributed among the poor.
ICKWELL, a hamlet, in the parish of Northill,
union of Biggleswade, hundred of Wixamtree, county
of Bedford, 2¾ miles (W. by N.) from the town of Biggleswade; containing 206 inhabitants.
ICKWORTH, a parish, in the union and hundred
of Thingoe, W. division of Suffolk, 2½ miles (S. W.)
from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 62 inhabitants.
This place is the property of the Marquess of Bristol,
whose magnificent seat is within the parish. The mansion, consisting of a circular centre connected with
wings by extensive corridors, was commenced in 1792,
but the western wing is not yet completed; the park,
which includes the parish, comprises about 2000 acres
of rich land. The surface is varied, and the lower
grounds are watered by a rivulet which expands into a
broad lake, the whole forming one of the most splendid
demesnes in the country. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 11. 5½., and
in the gift of the Marquess: the tithes have been commuted for £192. 1. 6., and the glebe comprises 5 acres.
The church, the tower of which has been rebuilt by the
present marquess, who has also added a south aisle, has
a chancel in the early English style, and some windows
in the decorated and later styles.
Idbury (St. Nicholas)
IDBURY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of
Chipping-Norton, hundred of Chadlington, county
of Oxford, 5½ miles (N. by W.) from Burford; containing, with the hamlets of Bowld and Foscott, 207 inhabitants. It comprises 1498 acres, of which 1438 are
arable and pasture, and 60 woodland; the soil is partly
fertile, producing good crops of barley, turnips, and seed,
and partly a cold clay. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £60; patron, the Chancellor of Sarum.
The church is an ancient structure, with a Norman entrance on the north side of the nave; in the north aisle
are several monuments of the Loggan family. There
are vestiges of a large military camp near the turnpikeroad from Stow to Burford.
Iddesleigh (St. James)
IDDESLEIGH (St. James), a parish, in the union
of Oakhampton, hundred of Shebbear, Black Torrington and Shebbear, and N. divisions of Devon,
4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Hatherleigh; containing 545
inhabitants. It is bounded on the west and south-west
by the rivers Torridge and Okement; the banks of the
former are richly ornamented with fine oaks, and the
surrounding scenery is picturesque. The parish comprises 2522 acres, of which 380 are common or waste.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£17. 1. 3.; net income, £350; patron, the Rev. Mr.
Houndsfield: the glebe comprises 150 acres. The church
is a small ancient edifice, partly in the early and partly
in the decorated English style, with a handsome embattled tower, and contains a monumental effigy of a crusader, supposed to represent Sir J. Sully, whose family
once possessed the manor. There is a place of worship
for Bible Christians. The Rev. William Tasker, a poet
and dramatist, was born here in 1740.
Ide (St. Ida)
IDE (St. Ida), a parish, in the union of St. Thomas,
hundred of Exminster, Wonford and S. divisions of
Devon, 1½ mile (S. W.) from Exeter; containing 795
inhabitants. It comprises, chiefly by measurement,
1461 acres, of which about one-third is pasture and
orchard, and the remainder arable; the soil is principally a red sand, but partly clay. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £155; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The present
church, a neat plain structure, erected by subscription,
was opened for divine service on the 13th April, 1834,
and contains 530 sittings, of which 230 are free.
Ideford (St. Mary)
IDEFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Newton-Abbott, hundred of Teignbridge, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 2½ miles (S. E.) from
Chudleigh; containing 331 inhabitants. It comprises
1347 acres, of which 160 are common or waste; the surface is varied. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £17. 13. 9., and in the gift of the Trustees of the Rev. George Heywood, late rector: the tithes
have been commuted for £255, and the glebe comprises
59 acres. The church is a neat structure.
IDE-HILL, a chapelry, in the parish of Sundridge,
union of Seven-Oaks, hundred of Codsheath, lathe
of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 3¾ miles
(W. S. W.) from Seven-Oaks. The living is a perpetual
curacy; net income, £124; patron, the Rector of Sundridge. The chapel, erected and endowed in 1807, by
Beilby Porteus, Bishop of London, has been enlarged,
and 110 free sittings provided.
Iden (All Saints)
IDEN (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Rye,
hundred of Goldspur, rape of Hastings, E. division of
Sussex, 2¼ miles (N.) from Rye; containing 554 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the north
and east by the county of Kent, comprises by computation 2800 acres of profitable land; the surface is undulated, the scenery pleasingly diversified, and in many
parts embellished with wood. The river Rother and
the Royal Military canal intersect the parish. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 8. 6½.:
the tithes have been commuted for £680, and the glebe
consists of 23 acres. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style, with a lofty embattled
tower. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
IDLE, a chapelry, in the parish of Calverley,
union of Bradford, wapentake of Morley, W. riding
of York, 3½ miles (N. by E.) from Bradford; containing
6212 inhabitants. This township, which includes the
village of Windhill, and the hamlets of Thackley, Thorpe,
Simpson's-Green, Parkhill, Cross-Keys, Buckmill, and
Wroose, comprises by computation 2420 acres, whereof
197 are woods and plantations. The surface is boldly
undulated, rising into numerous hills commanding extensive prospects of the picturesque scenery of Airedale.
The substratum consists chiefly of valuable flagstone and
slate, of which there are four quarries, employing about
300 persons; and two mines of coal of moderate quality
are in operation: a considerable part of the population,
also, is engaged in the woollen manufacture. The village of Idle is pleasantly seated on the acclivity of a
hill, on the west of which is Windhill, situated at the
base, near the river Aire, and on the banks of the Leeds
and Liverpool canal. Fairs for cattle are held on the
first Wednesday in April, and the second Wednesday in
October. The old chapel was converted into a national
and Sunday school, and a handsome church, dedicated
to the Holy Trinity, was erected in 1830, by the Parliamentary Commissioners, at an expense of £2577; it is
in the later English style, with a square embattled tower
crowned by pinnacles, and contains 1020 sittings, of
which 588 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £150, with a good residence; patron, the
Vicar of Calverley. There are places of worship for
Independents, Baptists, and Primitive and Wesleyan
Idlestree, Hertfordshire.—See Elstree.
IDLESTREE, Hertfordshire.—See Elstree.
Idlicote (St. James)
IDLICOTE (St. James), a parish, in the union of
Shipston-upon-Stour, Brailes division of the hundred
of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick,
3¼ miles (N. E.) from Shipston; containing 82 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the right bank
of the Stour, that river separating it from a detached
part of Worcestershire, comprises about 1408 acres,
divided into arable, pasture, and woodland. The surface is somewhat hilly, the soil partly clay, and in some
parts gravel, and the scenery picturesque: stone is obtained for rough buildings and for repairing the roads,
but the quarries are not considerable. The road from
Shipston to Birmingham passes on the west of the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books
at £13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of Henry Peach K.
Peach, Esq., lord of the manor: the tithes have been
commuted for £300 per annum; and the glebe consists
of two acres, including a garden, with a parsonage. The
church is supposed to have been built five centuries
Idmiston (All Saints)
IDMISTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Amesbury, hundred of Alderbury, Salisbury and
Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 4 miles (S. E.
by E.) from Amesbury; including the tythings of Gomeldon, Shripple, and part of Ford, and the chapelry of
Porton; and containing 497 inhabitants, of whom 255
are in the tything of Idmiston. The parish is situated
on the river Bourne, and comprises by computation 4000
acres, chiefly arable; there is a narrow strip of meadowland on each side of the river, and the uninclosed down
is pasture. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £15. 6. 0½.; net income, £228; patron, the
Bishop of Salisbury; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter. The church is an ancient edifice, in the later
English style. There is a chapel of ease at Porton.
The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and a parochial
school is partly supported by a small endowment, and
partly by subscription. Here are several barrows and
tumuli. The Rev. John Bowle, distinguished for his
critical knowledge of Spanish literature, and who published one of the best editions of Don Quixote, was vicar
of the parish.
IDRIDGEHAY, with Allton, a township, in the
parish of Wirksworth, union of Belper, hundred of
Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 3½
miles (S.) from Wirksworth; containing 194 inhabitants. Idridgehay comprises 517 acres of fertile land,
and Allton 475 acres, both lying on the Derby and
Wirksworth road. There are some good residences,
commanding beautiful views; among them are, Ecclesburn, named from a rivulet that flows in the vicinity,
and Allton Manor House, recently erected, of stone procured on the estate. The tithes of the township were
commuted in 1844, when £154 were apportioned to the
impropriator, and £7 to the vicar of Wirksworth.
IDSTONE, a tything, in the parish of Ashbury,
union of Farringdon, hundred of Shrivenham, county
of Berks, 5½ miles (W. N. W.) from Lambourn; containing 178 inhabitants. The ancient Ikeneld-street intersects the village.
IDSWORTH, a chapelry, in the parish of Chalton,
union of Catherington, hundred of Finch-Dean,
Petersfield and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3½ miles (E. N. E.) from Horndean; containing
396 inhabitants. It comprises 1674 acres, of which 177
are common or waste. Idsworth is the residence of
the Rev. Sir Samuel Jervoise, whose splendid mansion
and richly-wooded park border on the county of Sussex;
the grounds are watered by a stream called Lavant,
which rises here, and flows through the chapelry in its
course to Portsmouth. The population, with the exception of a few employed in an iron-foundry, is engaged in