KIRKDALE, a township, in the parish of Waltonon-the-Hill, union and hundred of West Derby, S.
division of Lancashire, 2 miles (N. by E.) from the
Exchange of Liverpool; containing in 1846, 9322 inhabitants. The township derived its name from its position midway between the town of Liverpool and the
parish church of Walton-on-the-Hill, which, previously
to 1700, was the parish church of Liverpool: as the
road from the town to the church lay through a hollow
part or gentle vale across this township, the place was
called Chirkdele, now Kirkdale. Of the families which
held lands here soon after the Conquest, was one of the
local name. The Waltons were connected with the
township in the reign of Henry III.; and the family of
More, or de la More, established themselves here in
1280, and built a seat near Liverpool, called More Hall,
which, with Bank Hall, was in their possession for upwards of twenty generations. The latter mansion was
situated near the sea; it was a curious model of the
style of architecture that prevailed five centuries ago,
and was then esteemed a very grand structure. Among
the distinguished persons from Lancashire who, in the
reign of Edward III., accompanied the Black Prince in
the royal expedition against France, was William de la
More, of Bank Hall, who, for his valour and prowess at
the battle of Poitiers, in 1356, was created by the prince
a knight banneret; and when Liverpool was besieged in
1644 by the army of Charles I. under Prince Rupert, it
was defended by a strong garrison of the parliamentary
forces under Colonel More, also of this family. Bank
Hall was totally demolished in 1778, and a neat farmhouse was built on its site: the house and farm are
now the property of the Earl of Derby.
The township comprises 652 acres of land. Immediately beneath the surface is a deep layer of the finest
clay for bricks; and below the clay, in most parts, are
rocks of red sandstone. The vicinity of Kirkdale to
Liverpool, with which town it is now joined, has greatly
and rapidly increased the population, and the value of
the land, on which several hundred houses have been
erected within the last fifty years. The new docks of
Liverpool extend the whole breadth of the township,
northward, along the shore of the Mersey; and the
township is also intersected from south to north by the
Liverpool and Leeds canal, the great road leading to
Ormskirk, Preston, &c., and by the Liverpool and Bury,
and the Liverpool, Ormskirk, and Preston railways.
The only cotton-mill of which Liverpool can boast, is in
Kirkdale; it was built in 1838, and employs 950 hands:
the operations are confined to spinning.
On an elevated spot here, opposite the mouth of the
Mersey, and distant from it about half a mile, stands
the County Gaol and House of Correction, covering an area
of five acres, and surrounded by a wall 27 feet high, the
western portion of which was blown inwards by the
hurricane of January 6th, 1840, but immediately restored. The governor's house is on the north side, and
a handsome sessions-house built of stone in the Ionic
order faces the south: the adjourned quarter-sessions
for the county, and the petty-sessions for the hundred
of West Derby, are held here. The whole of the prison
is in course of being rebuilt on the plan of the model
prison at Pentonville, London, from designs by Arthur
Hill Holme, Esq., architect, of Liverpool. The new
building consists of four wings projecting at right angles
from a great central hall, each wing having accommodation for 120 prisoners in separate cells, besides workrooms, baths, &c., on the basement. The chapel stands
between two of the wings, near the hall, and the interior, arranged as the segment of a circle, affords space
for 400 prisoners, each in a separate stall, so as to prevent them from seeing each other, while all are visible to
the chaplain and the officers of the gaol, in front. To
this chapel is a tower, containing a vestry, a clock, and
bell-turret surmounted by a spire, the apex of which is
100 feet from the ground.
St. Mary's Church, here, is a brick edifice on the west
side of the great road, built principally through the exertions of Thomas Dover, Esq., who, at the time of its
erection, resided in the district. It was opened for
divine service on the first Sunday in August, 1836; and
the Rev. D. James, F.S.A., was appointed first incumbent. In 1844 it was deemed expedient to enlarge the
building by extending it at both ends, which has greatly
improved the proportions of the whole. The east end,
facing the road, has two entrances with decorated canopies, a four-light window with rich tracery and bold
mouldings, and above it, resting on a highly-decorated
corbel supported by a carved head of Wycliffe, a beautiful open bell-turret, though too small for so large a
church. The communion end, which in this instance is
towards the west, now has windows filled with stained
glass of brilliant colours; also a fine screen. The original flat ceiling was removed at the time of the enlargement, and the roof thrown open; the old framing was
cased and ornamented with shafts, arches, tracery, and
pendants, and the new coved ceiling divided into square
compartments by ribs which intersect each other and
are covered at the joints with handsome bosses. The
roof is admitted to be unequalled for beauty and elegance
in Liverpool. The architect already named designed
and executed the alterations. The original number of
sittings was 960; the present number is 1372, of which
525 are free. The cost of the original building, including
the organ and fittings up, was £4000; the cost of the
enlargement and improvements, exclusively of the stained
glass windows, which were presented, was £2050. The
patronage is vested for forty years in five Trustees; it
will afterwards be in the patron of Walton-on-the-Hill.
The tithes of the township have been commuted for £85.
On the same high ground whereon the prison is built,
are the Industrial Schools, built by the parish of Liverpool, for the purpose of carrying out the government
plan of instructing the children of the poor in the various
arts of industry: the buildings are on a magnificent
scale, and entirely occupied. St. Mary's Cemetery, one
of the public cemeteries of Liverpool, occupies nearly
three acres; the front is exceedingly beautiful, and has
a fine arched entrance gateway.
Kirkdale (St. Gregory)
KIRKDALE (St. Gregory), a parish, in the union
of Helmsley, wapentake of Ryedale, N. riding of
York, 4¼ miles (E. by N.) from Helmsley; containing,
with the townships of Bransdale West Side, Muscoates,
Nawton, Skiplam, Welburn, and Wombleton, 1040 inhabitants. This parish, which is about 60 miles in circumference, has no village or township of its own name;
the higher parts are mountainous moorland, and the
lower a rich and luxuriant valley. Coal-mines are worked,
and good limestone is obtained for building and for
agricultural purposes. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £137; patrons, the University of Oxford;
impropriators, John and Francis Barr, Esqrs., lords of
the manor of Nawton. There are 3 acres of glebe.
The church, which is in Welburn township, in the sequestered and finely-wooded valley of the Hodge beck,
has been enlarged at various periods, and contains some
Norman portions; the chancel is in the early English
style. In the wall over the south door is a stone bearing a Saxon inscription, removed from its original situation, commemorative of the purchase and repairs of
St. Gregory's church here, in the reign of the Confessor.
At Nawton and Wombleton are places of worship for
Wesleyans. In the celebrated Kirkdale Cave, varying
from two to five feet in height and breadth, and extending for 300 feet into a solid white rock, various fossil
remains of a hyena, elephant, rhinoceros, hippopotamus,
and other animals, were found in the year 1820, imbedded in a layer of mud at the bottom of the cave, about
one foot thick.
Kirk-Ella, county of York.—See Ella, Kirk.
KIRK-ELLA, county of York.—See Ella, Kirk.
Kirkham (St. Michael)
KIRKHAM (St. Michael), a market-town and parish, in the union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster;
containing 11,604 inhabitants, of whom 2903 are in the
town, 9 miles (W. by N.) from Preston, 22 (S. by W.)
from Lancaster, and 226 (N. W. by N.) from London.
This place is of Saxon origin, and derived its name from
its church, which, soon after the Conquest, was given
by Roger de Poictou to the abbey of St. Peter and St.
Paul in Shrewsbury, from which it was by Edward I.
transferred to the monks of Vale Royal in Cheshire, in
whose patronage it remained till the Dissolution. The
town may be considered as the capital of a district
called the Fylde: it stands picturesquely on rising ground
commanding a view of Preston and the Fylde, and the
air is very pure and healthy. About 80 persons are
employed in weaving calico; and an old established flaxmill, conducted by John Birley and Sons, employs about
500. A savings' bank and a newsroom were opened in
1844, under the management of Adam Wright, Esq.
There is a station on the Preston and Wyre railway,
and the Lancaster canal is distant only about three
miles. Within the same distance is the estuary of the
Ribble, near the mouth of which a guide is stationed to
conduct travellers across the sands at low water to
Hesketh bank, the passage being dangerous to persons
attempting it without such assistance. The market is
on Tuesday; the fairs are on February 4th and the following day, April 29th, and October 18th. The county
magistrates hold a petty-session every alternate Tuesday;
and a constable and other officers are appointed annually at the court leet of the lord of the manor. The
powers of the county debt-court of Kirkham, established
in 1847, extend over the greater part of the registrationdistrict of the Fylde.
The parish is one of the most extensive in the
county, containing 17 townships, and comprising about
130 square miles, or 38,871 acres. Of the compact portion, the river Wyre forms the northern, and the Ribble
the southern, boundary; with Plumpton on the western,
and Salwick and Clifton on the eastern, extremities.
These boundaries are independently of Goosnargh with
Newsham, and Whittingham, townships, both which,
though severed from the other 15 townships, form a
portion of the parish, about eight miles in length and
five miles in breadth. The surface for the most part is
level, and unvaried, descending gradually, by an almost
imperceptible slope, from the margin of the ancient
forests of Bleasdale and Bowland on the east, to the
banks of the Wyre and Ribble. The land in many parts
is of excellent quality; there is some peat-moss and
marsh. In the township of Kirkham are not more than
803 acres. The principal old Halls are Westby, Preese,
Bradkirk, and Mowbreck; and in the vicinity of the town
are several good modern mansions, among which may
be named, Milbank, the seat and property of Thomas
Birley, Esq., and Carr Hill, belonging to Thomas
Langton Birley, Esq.
For ecclesiastical purposes, the parish was divided
in 1846, when seven new and distinct incumbencies were
formed, viz.: Goosnargh, Hambleton, Lund, Ribby with
Wrea, Warton, Weeton, and Whitechapel; which are
all described under their respective heads. In Kirkham parish are retained the townships of Little Eccleston with Larbrick, Kirkham, Medlar with Wesham,
Great and Little Singleton, and Treales with Roseacre
and Wharles. The old living is a vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £21. 1. 0½.; net income, £921;
patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of
Christ-Church, Oxford. The great tithes of Kirkham
township have been commuted for £43, and the small
for £89; the appropriate glebe consists of 99 acres, and
the vicarial of 2½ acres. The original church was built
in the year 640; the late church previously to 1586;
and the body of the present edifice in 1822, at a cost of
£5000: in 1845, a tower surmounted by a graceful spire
150 feet high was added, at a cost of £1500; it has a
peal of eight bells. An endowment of £70 per annum
is paid to a curate for daily prayers in the church; it is
derived from land left by Dr. Grimbaldeston, of the township of Treales. At Great Singleton is a chapel, forming a perpetual curacy. The Independents, Wesleyans,
and others, have places of worship; and at the distance
of half a mile, on the road to Blackpool, stands the
Roman Catholic chapel of St. John, built in 1845, from
a design by Mr. Pugin. It is an elegant structure of
stone, in the style of the 12th and 13th centuries, and
has a tower surmounted by a beautiful spire; the interior contains some private chapels, has a gorgeous
altar, and is rich in stained glass: a peal of six fine-toned
bells, also, has been put up, the first peal introduced
into a Roman Catholic chapel since the Reformation.
This chapel owes its erection to the Rev. Thomas Sherburne, of the Willows. The free grammar school, originally founded by Isabel Birley, was in 1655 endowed with a portion of the proceeds of the rectory of
Kirkham, purchased by the Drapers' Company with
funds bequeathed in trust to them by Henry Colborne.
The endowment was augmented by the Rev. James
Barker in 1670, by Dr. Grimbaldeston, and other benefactors; the aggregate income being now £550. The
school has an exhibition of about £100 per annum to
either of the Universities, founded also by Mr. Barker,
who likewise left £80 a year for apprenticing boys. A
parochial school, established in 1760, has an endowment
of £80 per annum, appropriated to the clothing and
instruction of girls; and among the other schools are
some national and infant schools in connexion with the
Church; and two, belonging to Roman Catholics, endowed with £62. 8. per annum. Dr. Shuttleworth, late
Bishop of Chichester, was born here.
KIRKHAM, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union
of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York,
1 mile (E. S. E.) from Whitwell; containing 54 inhabitants. This liberty is situated on a long and narrow
acclivity on the east side of the river Derwent, which
meanders through a beautiful vale; it comprises 259
acres, whereof 39 are wood and plantation, and the
remainder arable and pasture. A fair is held on
Trinity-Monday. A priory of Augustine canons was
founded in 1121, by Sir Walter L'Espee, Knt., and Adelina his wife, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity; the
revenue at the Dissolution was estimated at £300. 15. 6.
The fine Gothic tower was blown down in 1784, and the
only remaining parts of this once magnificent and
celebrated priory consist of portions of the cloisters,
and some fragments of the church; the eastern window
of the latter; the principal entrance gate; and a beautiful Norman arch in the abbey gardens.
Kirk-Hammerton.—See Hammerton, Kirk.
KIRK-HAMMERTON.—See Hammerton, Kirk.
Kirkharle.—See Harle, Kirk.
KIRKHARLE.—See Harle, Kirk.
KIRKHAUGH, a parish, in the union of Haltwhistle, W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of
Northumberland, 2½ miles (N. W. by N.) from AlstonMoor; containing about 300 inhabitants. This parish, so
called from its church being situated on a haugh, comprises 6657 acres, of which 5381 are common or waste;
it is divided by the South Tyne into two nearly equal
parts. The soil is light, and the surface hilly; the
higher lands are mostly covered with heath, and abound
with grouse, and the lower grounds are watered by the
South Tyne. Cultivation is confined to the borders of
the river, from which the mountains on each side rise
with a rapid irregular ascent. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 7. 8½., and in
the patronage of R. R. Saunders, Esq.; net income, £70.
The church is a neat rustic edifice, with a nave 41 feet
and a chancel 9½ feet long, and contains a few monuments. William de Kirkhalgh granted the advowson to
Nicholas de Vetriponte, as an appurtenance to the manor
of Aldeston, in which state it descended to the Hiltons,
and from them to the Ricardsons, &c. Castle Nook, in
the parish, is the site of a Roman station, occupying an
area of nearly nine acres, and defended on the west by
ten breastworks and trenches. At the north-east corner
a sudatory was discovered in 1813, from which flows a
copious spring of clear water: near to the eastern wall
is the Maiden-way; and in the vicinity, a Roman altar,
with fragments of a colossal statue, was found some
years since. Here, according to Camden, an inscription
was set up, and a palace built, in honour of the Emperor
Antoninus, about the year 213, by the third cohort of
the Nervii. The Rev. John Wallis, author of a History
of Northumberland, 1769, was born at Castle Nook in
the year 1714.
KIRKHEATON, a chapelry, locally in the parish of
Kirkharle, union of Castle ward, N. E. division of
Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 11½
miles (N. E. by N.) from Hexham; containing 164 inhabitants. This chapelry, which is extra-parochial,
comprises by measurement 2009 acres. Coal is found,
and there is a mine at present in operation; freestone
and limestone are also quarried, for building and for
burning into lime. The river Blyth has its source on
the north side of a hill called the Black Hill, which commands a very extensive view. The living is a perpetual
curacy, in the gift of C. B. Bewick, Esq.: the glebe
comprises 12 acres. The chapel was rebuilt in 1775.
Kirkheaton, York.—See Heaton, Kirk.
KIRKHEATON, York.—See Heaton, Kirk.
KIRKHOUSE-GREEN, a hamlet, partly in the
parish of Kirk-Bramwith, and partly in that of Campsall, union of Doncaster, Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of the county of
York; containing 90 inhabitants.
Kirkland, with Blennerhasset, county of Cumberland.—See Blennerhasset.
KIRKLAND, with Blennerhasset, county of Cumberland.—See Blennerhasset.
Kirkland (St. Lawrence)
KIRKLAND (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union
of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland;
containing, with the chapelry of Culgaith and the township of Skirwith, 887 inhabitants, of whom 233 are in
the township of Kirkland with Blencarn, 8 miles (E.
by N.) from Penrith. The parish comprises 7693a. 2r.
24p., of which 3052 acres are arable, 4625 pasture, and
16 wood. Its surface is boldly varied, rising into hills
of mountainous elevation, and the high pasture lands
are principally grazed by sheep; about 1000 acres are
improvable common. Coal was wrought at Ardale, in
the parish, by the late Sir Michael Le Fleming, and on
Cross Fell is a mine of lead called Bullman-Hills Vein,
the ore of which contains a considerable proportion of
silver; copper-ore is also found, and a smelting-furnace
has been erected. The living is a vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £8. 10.; net income, £221; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is an ancient structure. There is a
chapel at Culgaith.
KIRKLAND, a township, in the parish and union of
Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of
Lancashire, 2 miles (S. W.) from Garstang; containing 408 inhabitants. This place is first mentioned in
the inquisition taken in the 31st of Henry III., which
certifies that William de Lancaster died seised, among
other lands, of Kirkland. After the lapse of a century,
it belonged to William de Kirkland, whose name was
derived from his residence, and who died in 1363. It
was subsequently possessed by Sir John de Coupeland,
and John de Botiler, the latter of whom had married
Alice, the heiress of the manors, and from whom proceeded the Butlers, of Kirkland. Thomas Butler, Esq.,
of this family, took the surname of Cole, in November
1816. The township is bounded by the river Wyre on
the east and south, and comprises 895 acres, principally
grass-land. Garstang parish church is in the township,
standing in a village hence called Garstang Church-Town.
Kirkland Hall, the seat of Thomas Butler Cole, Esq.,
was built about three centuries ago; various additions
have since been made to the mansion, which is surrounded
by thirty acres of plantations. A school is endowed with
£37 per annum.
KIRKLAND, a township, adjoining the town, and
in the parish, union, and ward of Kendal, county of
Westmorland; containing 1222 inhabitants.
Kirk-Leatham (St. Cuthbert)
KIRK-LEATHAM (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the
union of Guisborough, E. division of the liberty of
Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 4 miles (N. N. W.)
from Guisborough; containing, with the chapelry of
Wilton, 1075 inhabitants, of whom 714 are in the township of Kirk-Leatham. This place, anciently Lythum,
appears to have been of considerable importance at an
early period: in the Domesday survey it is stated that
here was a church, with a minister; and in the time of
Edward III. a chantry was founded by Thomas de
Thweng, rector and patron, which existed for a short
period. Including the hamlets of East and West Coatham, and Yerby, the parish comprises 3873a. 3r. 29p.,
of which about one-fourth are pasture, 100 acres wood,
and the remainder arable. The surface is principally
level: the soil is in general a strong clay, with a mixture of rich black loam, and towards the sea the lands
are of a light marly loam. Kirk-Leatham Hall, the seat
of Henry Vansittart, Esq., is a splendid mansion, erected
by the Turner family, and beautifully situated in a tastefully embellished demesne. The village, which is pleasant and handsome, lies on the western bank of a small
rivulet. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the gift of Mr.
Vansittart (the impropriator), with a net income of £88:
the tithes are principally merged; the glebe consists of
13 acres. The church is in the Italian style, with the
nave separated from the aisles by columns of the Tuscan
order: in the chancel is a monument to Sir Wm. Turner, who was buried near the spot; and adjoining the
east end of the edifice is a stately mausoleum of circular
form with a dome, containing the family vault, erected
by Cholmley Turner, Esq., in 1740. At Wilton is a
separate incumbency. Kirk-Leatham hospital, a spacious building, with a chapel in the centre of the principal
front elegantly fitted up, was founded by Sir William,
for the support of 10 aged men and 10 aged women, and
for maintaining and educating 10 boys and 10 girls;
for which purpose he endowed it with property now
yielding £1330 per annum. Sir William also left £5000,
which were appropriated to the establishment of a free
grammar school; a handsome building was erected at
a cost of £2000, and the remainder of the bequest laid
out in the purchase of land worth £300 a year.
Kirk-Leavington.—See Leavington, Kirk.
KIRK-LEAVINGTON.—See leavington, Kirk.
KIRKLEES, a hamlet, in the chapelry of Hartshead cum Clifton, parish of Dewsbury, wapentake
of Morley, W. riding of York, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from
Huddersfield; containing 1779 inhabitants. This place
is celebrated as the site of a Cistercian nunnery, founded
in the reign of Henry II. by Reynerus Flandrensis, and
dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St. James, and the
revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was £20. 7. 8.
The remains were granted in the reign of Elizabeth, to
Robert Pilkington, and subsequently to the Armytages,
whose mansion formed part of the conventual buildings,
till the time of James I., when the family erected Kirklees Hall, the present seat of Sir George Armytage, Bart.
Of the nunnery, which stood on the bank of a rivulet,
only small portions now remain; but among the various
farm-offices that have been erected, the foundations may
be distinctly traced. The tomb of Elizabeth de Stainton,
a prioress of the convent, and another thought to be that
of a relation, serve to point out the site of the church,
which appears to have been at least 150 feet in length.
The Hall is a spacious stone mansion, beautifully situated on an eminence, in a well-wooded park tastefully
laid out, and embracing extensive prospects, and much
variety of scenery. Kirklees was the resort and occasional abode of Robin Hood, who is supposed to have
been bled to death by a nun, and was buried here in a
secluded spot within the limits of the park; his tomb is
surrounded by an iron railing. The walk to the place,
through the woods, nearly a mile in length, commands
beautiful views of Elland, Brighouse, and the river Calder.
At the entrance of the Hall was formerly Robin Hood's
statue, rudely sculptured in stone, representing him
leaning on an unbent bow, with a quiver of arrows, and
a sword at his side; and smaller statues of him and his
men are still preserved at Kirklees.
KIRKLEY, a township, in the parish of Ponteland,
union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of
Northumberland, 10¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing, with Benridge and CarterMoor, 168 inhabitants. The family of Eure held the
manor of Kirkley in the time of Edward II. by the service of annually presenting a barbed arrow at the manorial court; and previously to the reign of Charles I. the
place became the possession and seat of a branch of the
Ogle family. The township, with Benridge and Carter-Moor, comprises 1765 acres. Kirkley Hall is a handsome mansion, which, some years since, was enlarged
and beautified; it is finely situated, and commands extensive and picturesque views towards the east. The
impropriate tithes have been commuted for £238. 10.,
payable to Merton College, Oxford, and the vicarial for
£32. 15. Sir Chaloner Ogle, a distinguished naval
commander, who captured the famous pirate, Roberts,
on the coast of Africa, in 1722, and was subsequently
raised to the rank of admiral for his eminent services,
was born in the township.
Kirkley (St. Peter)
KIRKLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Mutford and Lothingland, E.
division of Suffolk, 1½ mile (S. W.) from Lowestoft;
containing 433 inhabitants. This parish, which is
bounded on the east by the sea, and on the north by the
lake Lothing, comprises 450 acres by measurement.
The village, with that of Pakefield, has a small fishery,
which affords a supply for the neighbourhood. The
living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books
at £5. 6. 10½., and in the gift of Lord Boston: the tithes
have been commuted for £137. 10., and the glebe comprises 19 acres. The church, an ancient structure, with
a lofty tower serving as a landmark, consisted of two
aisles, and was in ruins for many years prior to 1750,
when the south aisle was rebuilt.
Kirklington (St. Swithin)
KIRKLINGTON (St. Swithin), a parish, in the
union of Southwell, Southwell division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Southwell; containing 280 inhabitants. The parish, which is situated
on the road from Mansfield to Newark, comprises by
computation 1976 acres. The living is a perpetual
curacy, in the patronage of the Chapter of the Collegiate
Church of Southwell, valued in the king's books at
£3. 13. 4.; net income, £49. The church is an ancient
Kirklington (St. Mary)
KIRKLINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Bedale, wapentake of Hallikeld, N. riding of
York; containing, with the townships of Howgrave,
Sutton, and East Tanfield, 486 inhabitants, of whom
324 are in the township of Kirklington with Upsland,
6¼ miles (S. E. by S.) from Bedale. The parish comprises by computation 3700 acres, chiefly arable; there
are about 600 acres of pasture, and 300 of woodland.
Of the whole, about 280 acres are in the hamlet of Upsland, set out in two farms. The village, which is well
built, is situated about a mile west of the Leeming-Lane.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£25. 7. 3½.; net income, £1034; patron, the Hon. C.
B. Wandesford: the tithes have been commuted for
£771. The church is a large structure, with a fine
tower. In the neighbourhood are vestiges of a Roman
or Danish encampment.
Kirk-Linton (St. Cuthbert)
KIRK-LINTON (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the
union of Longtown, Eskdale ward, E. division of
Cumberland, 4¾ miles (E. by S.) from Longtown;
containing, with the townships of Hethersgill, Middle-Quarter, and West Linton, 1902 inhabitants. This
parish, which is bounded on the north by the river Line,
comprises 9791a. 26p. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £1. 1. 0½.; and in the patronage
of the family of Dacre, with a net income of £98. The
church is a good specimen of the Norman style. Here
is a place of worship for the Society of Friends; and at
Blackford is a schoolroom, licensed for the performance
of divine worship. Near Kirk-Linton Hall are the remains of an ancient fortress. The celebrated watchmaker, George Graham, esteemed the best mechanic of
his time, was a native of the parish; he died in 1751,
and was interred in Westminster Abbey.