Middleton-in-Teesdale (St. Mary)
MIDDLETON-in-Teesdale (St. Mary), a markettown and parish, in the union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of
Durham; comprising the chapelry of Egglestone, and
the townships of Forest with Frith, Middleton, and
Newbiggin; and containing 3787 inhabitants, of whom
1770 are in the township of Middleton, 10 miles (N. W.)
from Barnard Castle, and 253 (N. N. W.) from London.
This town, which of late years has been very much improved, and through the whole of which neat and convenient footpaths have been constructed, presents a
handsome appearance, and is situated in the midst of
hills, and the most picturesque and romantic scenery.
The environs abound with great varieties of rocks; the
basalt forms a striking feature, and, in connexion with
numerous waterfalls, adds much to the beauty of the
landscape. The fertile valleys and sloping eminences in
the neighbourhood of the town, enriched by the rapid
and serpentine river Tees, a fine trout-stream, which
meanders through the vale, and bounds the parish on
the south, cannot fail to attract the attention of the
lover of nature. About three miles above the town is
Wynch bridge, a light and neat suspension chain-bridge,
seventy feet in length and two feet in width, thrown
from rock to rock across a tremendous chasm about fifty
feet in depth; and higher up the river are the stupendous cataracts of High Force and Caldron Snout. The
inhabitants are principally occupied in raising, washing,
and smelting lead-ore, produced in considerable quantities in the vicinity. The market is on Saturday; and
there are fairs on the third Thursday in April, July
7th, and the second Thursday in September. The townhall is a neat edifice with a market-place beneath it,
erected at the expense of the Duke of Cleveland. Courts
leet and baron are held annually for the manor. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£25. 17. 1., and in the patronage of the Crown. The
church is a small ancient edifice, the tower of which is
several yards distant from the rest of the building; the
parsonage is neat, with hanging-gardens and a terrace,
and forms a handsome object in the scenery. At Forest,
a chapel and a parsonage-house were built in 1844, by
the Duke of Cleveland, who maintains the minister;
and at Egglestone and Harwood are other incumbencies.
There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists,
Wesleyans, and Baptists. The inhabitants of Middleton and the neighbourhood, chiefly miners, are remarkable for their orderly and peaceable conduct, and evince
MIDDLETON, NORTH, a township, in the parish
of Ilderton, union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 2½ miles
(S. by E.) from Wooler; containing 129 inhabitants.
This place was, with South Middleton, anciently the
estate of Robert de Muschamp, and a member of his
lordship of Wooler: the manor became divided into
North and South about the end of the reign of Henry
III., and in the time of Henry IV. the former part was
held by John de Farmelawe. The township comprises
about 2000 acres, of which 700 are arable, 1200 heath
and green pasture, and 100 natural wood, and waste;
the surface is hilly, varied by dells, and the soil gravelly
and good turnip land. The Caldgate rivulet passes on
the north, and the Newcastle and Edinburgh road on
the east. Some vestiges of camps may be traced; and
bones, spears, and daggers have been found.
MIDDLETON, NORTH, a township, in the parish
of Hartburn, union of Morpeth, W. division of
Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 8¾
miles (W. by S.) from Morpeth; containing 92 inhabitants. This place, which was also called MiddletonMorell, from an ancient proprietor named Morell, was
afterwards divided among various proprietors. The
township comprises 1078 acres, of which 130 are arable,
900 pasture, and 48 woodland; the soil is generally a
rich loam, and the scenery is pleasingly varied. The
tithes have been commuted for £31 payable to the impropriator, and £60 to the vicar of Hartburn. There is
a place of worship in connexion with the United Secession of Scotland. A chantry endowed with 60 acres of
arable and meadow land in 1397, appears to have existed
in a chapel here, but nothing of the history of either of
these institutions is now known.
Middleton-on-the-Hill (St. Mary)
MIDDLETON-on-the-Hill (St. Mary), a parish,
in the union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy,
county of Hereford, 6 miles (N. E.) from Leominster;
containing 388 inhabitants. The parish is situated on
the borders of Worcestershire, and comprises 2541
acres. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to
that of Kimbolton. The tithes have been commuted
for £185. 10., payable to the Bishop of Hereford.
MIDDLETON-QUERNHOW, a township, in the
parish of Wath, wapentake of Hallikeld, N. riding of
York, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Ripon; containing 119
inhabitants. It comprises 732a. 12p., of which 366
acres are arable, 348 meadow and pasture, and about 18
woodland; the soil is generally fertile, and the surface
picturesquely broken into hill and dale. The village is
secluded; in it stands part of an ancient Hall. A tithe
rent-charge of £249 has been awarded.
Middleton-Scriven (St. John the Baptist)
MIDDLETON-SCRIVEN (St. John the Baptist),
a parish, in the union of Bridgnorth, hundred of
Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 5½ miles (S. S. W.)
from Bridgnorth; containing 108 inhabitants. The
living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £4. 6. 8.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. T.
Rowley, whose tithes have been commuted for £115,
and who has a glebe of 33 acres.
MIDDLETON, SOUTH, a township, in the parish
of Ilderton, union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 2¾ miles
(S.) from Wooler; containing 78 inhabitants. It anciently belonged to the Northumberland family; and
in the 26th of Edward III., Henry Percy died seized
of the place as a member of his manor of Alnwick, and
left it to his son Henry. The township is bounded on
the south-west by the Cheviot hills, and comprises about
1600 acres, of which 700 are arable, of a dry turnip soil,
and the remainder heath and green pasture. The road
from Newcastle to Edinburgh passes on the east.
MIDDLETON, SOUTH, a township, in the parish
of Hartburn, union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 10 miles
(W. by S.) from Morpeth; containing 19 inhabitants.
This place continued to be held of the Bolbeck barony
by the barons of Bolam and their descendants till the
beginning of the 17th century; it then passed to the
Fenwicks, shortly after to the Aynsleys, and subsequently to other families, The township comprises
609 acres, of which 174 are arable, 379 meadow and
pasture, and 56 waste. The village was formerly of
considerable extent. The tithes have been commuted
for £44. 15. 6., payable to the vicar of Hartburn.
Middleton, Stoney (All Saints)
MIDDLETON, STONEY (All Saints), a parish, in
the union of Bicester, hundred of Ploughley, county
of Oxford, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Bicester; containing 309 inhabitants. The village is very neat, and
uniformly built; and in the neighbourhood is the spacious park of the Earl of Jersey, who has a seat here.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£12. 16. 0½., and in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln:
the tithes have been commuted for £416. 10., and the
glebe contains 107¼ acres. The church is partly in the
early and partly in the decorated English style, with a
massive square embattled tower; on the north and
south sides are Norman doorways, and on the north of
the chancel is the sepulchral chapel of the Villiers
family. Near the church are the interesting remains of
a chapel, supposed to have been built in the reign of
Stephen, on the site of a Saxon fortress.
MIDDLETON, STONY, a chapelry, in the parish
of Hathersage, union of Bakewell, hundred of High
Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 5½ miles
(N. by E.) from Bakewell; containing 532 inhabitants.
The living is a perpetual curacy; income, £88; patron,
the Vicar of Hathersage. The chapel, dedicated to St.
Martin, was rebuilt in 1759, in the form of an octagon.
There is a place of worship for Unitarians. A considerable quantity of limestone is burnt for manure.
Middleton-Tyas (St. Michael)
MIDDLETON-TYAS (St. Michael), a parish, in
the union of Richmond, wapentake of Gilling-East,
N. riding of York, 5 miles (N. E.) from Richmond;
containing 795 inhabitants, of whom 586 are in the
township of Middleton-Tyas with the rural hamlet of
Kneeton. This parish, including the township of Moulton, comprises about 5750 acres. The surface is undulated, and the scenery in many parts beautifully picturesque; the soil is generally fertile, resting on limestone,
which is extensively quarried, and there are several limekilns. Copper-ore is found in considerable quantities,
and some extensive works were formerly carried on
here, but they have for more than half a century been
discontinued. In a limestone-quarry on the lands of
Geo. H. Pybus, Esq., has been discovered a bed of variegated marble, which is susceptible of a high polish, and,
from a specimen that has been dressed by a skilful
workman, seems likely to be brought into general use
The village is pleasantly situated on the road to Darlington. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books
at £15. 10., and in the patronage of the Crown; net
income, £705. The incumbent's tithes in the township
of Middleton-Tyas have been commuted for £337, and
the impropriator's for £33: the vicar has a glebe of 149
acres. The church is an ancient structure, with some
Norman details. There are remains of a chapel at
MIDDLETON-upon-Leven, a chapelry, in the parish of Rudby-in-Cleveland, union of Stokesley,
W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of
York, 3¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Yarm; containing
114 inhabitants. The lands, in the Conqueror's time,
were within the soke of Seamer, held by Robert, Earl of
Morton; soon after the Conquest the Meinells were
lords here, and from them the estate descended to the
D'Arcys, the Conyers', and others. The township lies in
the northern part of the parish, upon the east side of the
river Leven, and near the road from Stokesley to Yarm:
the area is 1129a. 2r. 21p. The living is a perpetual
curacy, in the patronage of Lady Amherst: the tithes
have been commuted for £125 payable to the impropriators, and £5 to the perpetual curate. The chapel is
dedicated to St. Cuthbert, and is of modern date.
Middlewich (St. Michael and All Angels)
MIDDLEWICH (St. Michael and All Angels),
a market-town and parish, in the union of Northwich,
S. division of the county of Chester; comprising the
townships of Byley with Yatehouse, Clive, Croxton,
Kinderton with Hulme, Middlewich, Minshull-Vernon,
Mooresbarrow with Parme, Newton, Occlestone, Ravenscroft, Sproston, Stublach, Sutton, Wimboldsley, and
part of Leese, all in the hundred of Northwich; and
the township of Weever, which is in the First division
of the hundred of Eddisbury; the whole containing
4755 inhabitants, of whom 1242 are in the town, 20
miles (E.) from Chester, and 167 (N. W.) from London.
The name of this place is derived from its central situation with respect to the Wiches, or salt towns. The
Romans had a station here: there are traces of a road
formed by that people; and in the township of Kinderton is an intrenched camp, supposed to be the site of
the Roman station called Condate. The earliest notice
of the manor is in the reign of Edward the Confessor,
when it appears to have been held by the Earl of Mercia
under the king; after the Conquest it was annexed to
the earldom of Chester, and subsequently to the crown,
from which it has been lately purchased by James
France France, Esq., of Bostock Hall, Cheshire. Middlewich was one of the burghs of the palatinate, and the
burgesses received grants of various privileges from some
of the baronial proprietors, which they pleaded in answer
to a writ of Quo Warranto issued against them in the
15th of Henry VII. On the occasion of a contest here
between the royalists and the parliamentary forces,
March 13th, 1642, the former experienced a signal
defeat; but in a second engagement, about nine months
afterwards, the parliamentarians were vanquished, in
consequence of a reinforcement of their opponents by
troops from Ireland.
The town, which is neat and well built, is divided by
the Grand Trunk, or Trent and Mersey, canal, here
crossed by the river Dane. A branch of the Chester
canal, from Wardle to Middlewich, was opened a few
years since: the rivers Croco, Weaver, and Wheelock,
also run through the parish; and about two miles distant from the town is the Winsford station of the Liverpool and Birmingham railway. The trade consists principally in salt, which is obtained from powerful brine
springs; and there are some silk manufactories. The
market is on Tuesday; and fairs are held on Holy-Thursday, Aug. 25th, and Oct. 29th: the market-house
has been rebuilt by Mr. France. Constables are appointed at the court leet of the manor. The parish
comprises about 10,000 acres, of which three-fourths are
pasture, and one-fourth arable land: in the township of
Middlewich are only 14 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14;
net income, £150; patron and incumbent, the Rev.
Isaac Wood; impropriators, the landowners. The church
presents indications of various styles, being the work of
different periods; it has a handsome tower, and at the
east end of each aisle is a chapel, or chancel, separated
by a screen. There are places of worship for the Society
of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans. Middlewich
was the birthplace of Thomas Yate, D.D., principal of
Brasenose College, Oxford, by whom were founded
certain scholarships in that college, with preference, 1st,
to members of his own family, duly qualified, 2nd, to
persons born in the town or parish of Middlewich, and
3d, to scholars of Northamptonshire and Wiltshire.
The Rev. Theophilus Lindsey, a Unitarian divine, was
born here in 1723.
Middlezoy (Holy Cross)
MIDDLEZOY (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union
of Bridgwater, hundred of Whitley, W. division of
Somerset, 5½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Langport;
containing 700 inhabitants. The battle of Sedgemoor,
between the forces of James II. and the Duke of Monmouth, took place in a valley situated to the north of
Middlezoy; and in the church is a brass inscribed to
the memory of an officer in the king's troops who fell in
the battle. The parish comprises about 2000 acres.
The river Parret, and the road between Glastonbury and
Taunton, afford facilities of conveyance. The living is a
discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12;
net income, £185; patron and appropriator, the Bishop
of Bath and Wells. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a lofty tower. A
national school is partly supported by the rent of a field
given by the late Mr. Bailey, who also bequeathed the
interest of £600 for distribution among the poor.
Trunks of oak and yew trees are frequently dug up
in the marshes, though no trees of the kind now grow
MIDDOP, a township, in the parish of Gisburn,
union of Clitheroe, W. division of the wapentake of
Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 5½ miles
(N. W. by W.) from Colne; containing 81 inhabitants.
This township is situated on the road from Burnley to
Gisburn, and comprises by computation 1090 acres; it
lies about three miles south of Gisburn.
MIDGE-HOLME, an extra-parochial liberty, in the
union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of
the county of Cumberland; containing 88 inhabitants, and comprising 291 acres of land.
MIDGHAM, a chapelry, in the parish of Thatcham,
union of Newbury, hundred of Faircross, county of
Berks, 6¼ miles (E.) from Speenhamland; containing
345 inhabitants. This chapelry, near which passes the
Kennet and Avon canal, comprises 1404a. 1r. 8p. The
chapel, dedicated to St. Margaret, was rebuilt by John
Hillersdon, Esq., in 1714. The tithes have been commuted for £109 payable to the impropriators, and £105
to the vicar.
MIDGHAM, a tything, in the parish, union, and
hundred of Fordingbridge, Ringwood and S. divisions
of the county of Southampton; with 54 inhabitants.
MIDGLEY, a township, in the chapelry of Luddenden, parish and union of Halifax, wapentake of
Morley, W. riding of York, 4½ miles (W. by N.) from
Halifax; containing 2667 inhabitants. This township
includes portions of Luddenden, Luddenden-Foot, and
Mytholmroyd, and comprises by computation 2110 acres.
Here is a thick seam of plate coal, but from its depth,
and the want of sufficient drainage, it is difficult to work
it. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Independents, and the New Methodist Connexion.
MIDHOPE, a chapelry, in the parish of Ecclesfield, union of Wortley, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York,
2½ miles (S. S. W.) from the town of Penistone. This
place is situated on an eminence, near the turnpike-road
from Sheffield to Manchester; the land is principally
arable, with a portion of moor, and the soil is generally productive. A small river called the Porter flows
through the lower grounds. The chapel is a very
ancient building; the living is a donative; net income,
£70; patrons, the family of Bosville. The tithes were
commuted for land in 1818.
Midhurst (St. Denis)
MIDHURST (St. Denis), a borough, market-town,
and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred
of Easebourne, rape of Chichester, W. division of
Sussex, 11½ miles (N. by E.) from Chichester, and 49¼
(S. W.) from London; containing 1536 inhabitants.
This place, which was a town even prior to the Conquest, is agreeably situated upon a gentle eminence
surrounded by hills, and on the banks of the river
Rother; the streets are clean, and the houses generally
well built: the inhabitants are remarkable for longevity.
The market is on Thursday; and fairs are held on April
6th, Whit-Tuesday, and October 29th. The Rother, or
Arundel, navigation commences at the town. A bailiff
is chosen annually at the court leet of the lord of the
ancient borough, and the petty-sessions for the lower
division of the rape of Chichester take place on alternate Thursdays at the Angel inn: the powers of the
county debt-court of Midhurst, established in 1847, extend over part of the registration-districts of Midhurst
and Farnham. Midhurst is a borough by prescription,
and has sent members to parliament ever since the 4th
of Edward II. By the act of the 2nd of William IV.,
cap. 45, it was provided that in future it should send
only one representative, and the right of election was
extended to the £10 householders of an enlarged district,
comprising an area of 22,188 acres; the old borough
contained only 650 acres: the bailiff is returning officer.
The military order of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem had a commandery here, among the privileges of
which was the jurisdiction in a certain district, now recognized as "The Liberty of St. John of Jerusalem,"
which still enjoys several exemptions, being independent
both of the borough and manor.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £160;
patron and impropriator, the Earl of Egmont. The
church consists of a nave, chancel, and south aisle, in
the later English style: the tower rises from between
the south aisle and a small chapel, in which latter is a
lofty altar-tomb composed of marble and alabaster. On
the lower altar of the tomb are two recumbent figures of
females in robes of state, the effigies of the two wives of
Anthony Browne, first lord Montague; between them
another altar rises, upon which is an effigy of that nobleman in the habit of the order of the Garter. There is a
place of worship for Baptists. A free grammar school was
founded in 1672, by Gilbert Hannam, of Midhurst, who
granted a rent-charge of £20; and the late head master,
Dr. Bayly, having made large additions to the schoolhouse, and, with aid from the old scholars, erected a
detached schoolroom, it has now become a school of
considerable importance. A national school is supported by subscription; and there are four almshouses,
and several charitable donations for the poor. The
union of Midhurst comprises 26 parishes or places, 24
of which are in the county of Sussex and 2 in that of
Hants, the whole containing in the year 1841 a population of 13,320.
In the immediate vicinity is Cowdray Park, which
contains about 800 acres, diversified with dells and
knolls commanding pleasing views, and adorned with
timber of luxuriant growth, especially a noble avenue,
nearly a mile in length, of magnificent Spanish-chesnut
trees, for dimensions and beauty scarcely to be exceeded
in England. The mansion, which was chiefly built by
the Earl of Southampton, occupied more than an acre of
ground, and in form was a quadrangle, with the principal front towards the west; it was destroyed by fire,
with its valuable contents, on the 24th of September,
1793, and now presents a splendid pile of ruins, in many
places mantled with ivy, which gives it an exceedingly
picturesque appearance. In 1547, King Edward was
entertained here with great splendour. Close to the
town of Midhurst, near the church, on the west bank of
the Rother, rises a mound, on which was anciently a
castle surrounded by moats: within its walls was a
chapel, dedicated to St. Anne.
Midlavant, Sussex.—See Lavant, Mid.
MIDLAVANT, Sussex.—See Lavant, Mid.
MIDLEY, a parish, in the union of Romney-Marsh,
hundred of Martin-Pountney, lathe of Shepway, E.
division of Kent, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from New Romney; containing 53 inhabitants. It comprises 2153
acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £30; net income, £129; patron, Sir J. T.
Tyrell, Bart. The church is in ruins.