MIDLOE, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union
of St. Neot's, hundred of Toseland, county of Huntingdon; containing 53 inhabitants, and comprising 850
acres of land.
MIDRIDGE, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, S. E. division
of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of
Durham, 4¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Bishop-Auckland;
containing 345 inhabitants. It is situated westward of
the road between Darlington and Durham, and comprises by computation 1020 acres of land. The Witton,
Darlington, and Stockton railway passes on the south, a
short distance from the village. A schoolroom built in
1817, was enlarged in 1821, and is used as a chapel, a
curacy having been endowed with £27. 6. a year by the
late Bishop of Durham, who also endowed the school
with £10 per annum.
MIDRIDGE-GRANGE, a township, in the union of
Auckland, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S.
division of the county of Durham, 7 miles (N.) from
Darlington; containing 40 inhabitants. The township
comprises by computation 860 acres, and is pleasantly
situated on an eminence, at the base of which passes the
Witton, Darlington, and Stockton railroad; it is wholly
the property of the Earl of Eldon. The seat once occupied by Colonel Byerley, M.P. for the county of Durham, and anciently the residence of Catesby, one of the
conspirators in the Gunpowder plot, is in the township.
A dispute is now pending as to whether the township
belongs to the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, or to
Midsomer-Norton.—See Norton, Midsomer.
MIDSOMER-NORTON.—See Norton, Midsomer.
MID-VILLE, a township, in the union of Spilsby,
E. division of the soke of Bolingbroke, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln; containing 161 inhabitants.
The township was rendered independent of any parish,
by act of parliament, in 1812, on the occasion of an extensive drainage of fen lands. It comprises 3450 acres,
and is situated between the Hob-hole and Catch-water
drains, which are navigable. A church was erected in
1820: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of
Trustees; net income, £81.
Milborne-Port (St. John the Evangelist)
John the Evangelist), a
parish, and formerly a representative borough and a
market-town, in the union
of Wincanton, hundred of
Horethorne, E. division of
Somerset, 2¾ miles (N. E.
by E.) from Sherborne, and
115 (W.) from London; containing 1740 inhabitants.
This town, which is irregularly built, and consists
chiefly of detached houses, is situated at the bottom of
a hill, adjoining the river Ivel, on the road from Yeovil
to Shaftesbury. The manufacture of sailcloth, dowlas,
linsey-woolsey, and stockings, has been superseded by
glove-making and leather-dressing: some quarries of
stone are worked for rough buildings and for the roads.
Fairs are held on June 5th and October 28th, for cattle
and pedlery. There are nine capital bailiffs, two of
whom in rotation preside annually, and, at a court leet
held in October, appoint two deputies. Milborne-Port
is a borough by prescription, and returned members to
parliament from the 26th to the 35th of Edward I., from
which time, until the early part of the reign of Charles I.,
it ceased to exercise the power; the privilege was restored in 1628, and continued in force till the passing of
the act of the 2nd of William IV., cap. 45. The townhall is an old building with a handsome Norman doorway, and there are some remains of an ancient marketcross. The parish comprises by computation 3277 acres.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£14. 1. 3., and in the gift of Sir W. Medlycott, Bart.;
the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £585,
and the vicarial for £210; there is a glebe-house, with
a small garden. The church is a cruciform structure in
the Norman style, with later insertions, and has a large
quadrangular tower. Here are places of worship for
Seal and Arms.
MILBOURN, a tything, in the parish, union, and
hundred of Malmesbury, Malmesbury and Kingswood,
and N. divisions of Wilts, 1 mile (E. N. E.) from
Malmesbury; containing 151 inhabitants.
Milbourne (St. Andrew)
MILBOURNE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union
of Blandford, hundred of Piddletown, Blandford
division of Dorset, 8 miles (S. W.) from Blandford;
containing 287 inhabitants, of whom 125 are in the
tything of Milbourne St. Andrew, and 162 in that of
Milbourne-Churchstone. This parish, which is situated
on the road to Exeter, comprises by admeasurement
1717 acres. Some of the females are employed in
making wire shirt-buttons. A fair is held on the last
day of November, for cattle and sheep. The living is a
discharged vicarage, with that of Dewlish annexed, valued together in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; patron,
Lieut.-General J. Michel; impropriator, E. M. Pleydell,
Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £150,
and the vicarial for £235. The church is an ancient
structure, and has an enriched Norman doorway, lately
restored. There is an oblong double-intrenched camp,
the area of which is about seven acres. Cardinal Morton,
Archbishop of Canterbury in the reign of Henry VII.,
was born here.
MILBOURNE-STYLEHAM, a hamlet, in the parish
and hundred of Bere-Regis, union of Blandford,
Blandford division of Dorset; adjacent to Milbourne
St. Andrew, and containing 290 inhabitants.
MILBROOK, a chapelry, and formerly a markettown, in the parish of Maker, union of St. Germans,
S. division of the hundred of East, E. division of the
county of Cornwall, 7½ miles (S.) from Saltash. The
inhabitants are chiefly occupied in an extensive fishery:
fairs are held on May 1st and September 29th. Milbrook is said to have anciently sent members to parliament. Courts leet and baron are held about Michaelmas, for what is called the borough of Milbrook and
the manor of Inswork, at which officers are chosen. The
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £50; patron
and impropriator, the Earl of Mount-Edgcumbe. The
chapel contains 600 sittings, of which 357 are free.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
MILBURN, a township, in the parish of Ponteland, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 11 miles (N. W.) from Newcastle; containing 79 inhabitants. The manor was
anciently held by knights' service of the Morpeth barony,
by Robert de Meneville; the Bates family possessed it
in 1567. The township is situated on a rivulet which
runs eastward to the river Pont; and comprises about
1190 acres. Coal and limestone are obtained. Milburn
Hall, a handsome villa, was built in 1809. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £116. 10. 6.,
payable to Merton College, Oxford, and the vicarial for
£18. 5. 9.; there is a glebe of 27¼ acres.
MILBURN, a chapelry, in the parish of KirkbyThore, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Appleby; containing
348 inhabitants, of whom 33 are in Milburn-Grange.
It comprises 5282 acres, of which 2500 are common or
waste. The neighbourhood abounds with limestone and
red freestone; and many productive veins of lead-ore
are worked. Near the Silvera Band lead-mine is a bed
of the singular fossil called "fairy beads," and not far
distant a long subterraneous passage formed by an opening in the limestone. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £85; patron, the Earl of Thanet. A rentcharge of £100 has been awarded as a commutation
for the tithes. The chapel, dedicated to St. Cuthbert,
was founded by William de Lancaster, about 1355.
Many vestiges of encampments are visible. Howgill
Castle, formerly the seat of the knightly families of
Lancaster and Sandford, and which, with Grange Hall
and Lownthwaite, belongs to the Earl of Thanet, lord
of the manor, occupies a commanding situation, half a
mile east of the village; some of its walls are 10½ feet
thick. On the southern end of Dunfell are vestiges of a
circular fort deeply moated, called Green Castle, near
which was found some years since an altar inscribed Deo
MILBURN-GRANGE, a township, in the parish of
Ponteland, union and W. division of Castle ward, S.
division of Northumberland, 11¼ miles (N. W.) from
Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 37 inhabitants. This
township, called also North Milbourne, comprises about
610 acres, separated from Milburn by a deep and narrow
glen, through which runs the burn from which both
townships derive their name; it is situated west of the
road from Newcastle to Belsay. The vicarial tithes
have been commuted for £9; and the impropriate for
£72. 16., payable to Merton College, Oxford.
Milby, with Humberton.—See Humberton.
MILBY, with Humberton.—See Humberton.
MILCOMBE, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred
of Bloxham, union of Banbury, county of Oxford,
6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Deddington; containing
224 inhabitants. The chapel, dedicated to St. Lawrence,
is a small edifice, mostly of the 13th century, and consists of a nave, chancel, north aisle, and tower; the aisle
was rebuilt in the last century.
MILCOTT, a hamlet, in the parish of Weston,
union of Stratford, Alcester division of the hundred of
Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick,
2¾ miles (S. W.) from Stratford; containing 13 inhabitants, and comprising 552 acres of rich land on the banks
of the river Avon.
Milden, or Milding (St. Peter)
MILDEN, or Milding (St. Peter), a parish, in
the union of Cosford, hundred of Babergh, W. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Bildeston;
containing 186 inhabitants. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £10. 13. 4., and in the
gift of John Gurdon, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £340, and the glebe comprises 22 acres. In
the chancel of the church is a curious monument to the
Alington family, dated 1627. A valuable library of
works of early writers on divinity was left to the rector
for the time being by the Rev. W. Burkitt, author of a
Commentary on the Old Testament.
Mildenhall (St. John the Baptist)
MILDENHALL (St. John the Baptist), a parish,
in the union of Marlborough, hundred of Selkley,
Marlborough and Ramsbury, and N. divisions of Wilts,
1½ mile (E. N. E.) from Marlborough; containing 437
inhabitants. It comprises 4004 acres. The soil is partly
chalk, with a proportion of flint, and in some places is
clay; the surface is hilly, and there is a considerable
quantity of down. The river Kennet flows through the
parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £17. 8. 9., and in the gift of G. B. Buxton,
Esq., and others: the tithes have been commuted for
£740, and the glebe comprises 144 acres. The church
is an ancient structure in the early English style, and
contains many elegant details; it was repaired by the
Rev. Charles Francis, late rector, who also laid out
£4000 in building and endowing a free school. On the
right of the London road, are slight traces of the Roman
station Cunetio, where coins, tessellated pavements, &c.,
have been discovered.
Mildenhall (St. Mary)
MILDENHALL (St. Mary), a market-town and
parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Lackford, W. division of Suffolk, 38½ miles (N. W.) from
Ipswich, and 70 (N. N. E.) from London; containing,
with the hamlets of Beck-Row, Holywell-Row, HighTown, and West-Row, 3731 inhabitants. This place is
situated on a tributary of the river Ouse, called the
Lark, which is navigable along the south and west
borders of the parish; and the road from London to
Norwich, through Newmarket, runs on the east. The
railway from London to Brandon and Norwich passes a
few miles to the north. The town includes, besides one
principal and several smaller streets, others of considerable extent forming detached portions, reaching towards
the fens on the north-west; the inhabitants are plentifully supplied with water from wells and springs. In
1567 a great part of the town was consumed by fire.
There is a small spinning-mill for raw silk, which affords
employment chiefly for children; the main branch of
business is the exportation of grain and other commodities. A market is held on Friday, which is well
supplied with fish, wild-fowl, and provisions in general;
and there is a fair on Oct. 10th, for toys, pedlery, &c.
The powers of the county debt-court of Mildenhall,
established in 1847, extend over the registration-district
of Mildenhall. The parish comprises by computation
16,000 acres. The living is a vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £22. 8. 1½.; net income, £369; patron
and impropriator, Sir H. E. Bunbury, Bart.: the tithes
were commuted for land and money payments in 1807.
The church is a large handsome structure, with a lofty
tower; the entrance is through a highly-finished porch:
the ceiling is of wood-work, richly carved, and there are
several ancient monuments, particularly of the family of
North. Here are places of worship for Baptists, the
Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, and Wesleyans.
Some British and Roman antiquities were discovered in
Mile-End, or Mylande (St. Michael)
MILE-END, or Mylande (St. Michael), a parish,
in the union, and liberty of the borough, of Colchester,
N. division of Essex, 1 mile (N.) from Colchester; containing 596 inhabitants. It comprises 2342a. 21p., of
which about 2000 acres are arable, 160 pasture, and
180 woodland; the greater portion is the property of
the corporation of Colchester. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £7. 10., and in the patronage of the Earl de Grey: the tithes have been commuted
for £560, and there are 36 acres of glebe.
MILE-END, a district, in the parish of Stepney,
unions of Stepney and Whitechapel, Tower division
of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex,
1 mile (E.) from London; comprising the Old Town,
with 45,308 inhabitants, and the New Town, with 8325.
In the rebellion under Jack Cade, in the reign of
Henry VI., the insurgents who attacked the metropolis
encamped for some time at Mile-End; and in 1642, at
the commencement of the civil war, fortifications were
raised here by order of the parliament, for the defence
of the city. The Old and the New Town form one of
the most extensive suburbs of London, stretching in a
line from west to east along the principal road to Essex,
and comprising many handsome ranges of buildings.
The streets are partially paved, and lighted with gas,
and the inhabitants are supplied with water chiefly from
the West Ham water-works, the reservoir belonging to
which is situated to the north of the high road. There
are some extensive breweries, a large distillery, floorcloth manufactories, and a tobacco-pipe manufactory;
also a considerable nursery-ground. The Regent's canal
passes under the turnpike-road here, and on its banks
are several coal and timber wharfs.
Behind the London Hospital is an elegant church
dedicated to St. Philip, erected in 1822, by grant of the
Parliamentary Commissioners; it is in the later English
style, with minarets at the angles: net income, £330.
Trinity church, near Tredegar-square, in the early and
decorated English styles, was completed some years
since, but was only consecrated in November, 1839.
St. Peter's, in the Old Town, a handsome building of
brick, in the early Norman style, with a campanile turret
on the south side, was erected in 1838 from the Metropolis Church-Building Fund, and is adapted for a congregation of 1450 persons: net income, £400. The
livings of these three churches are in the gift of Brasenose
College, Oxford. The church dedicated to All Saints, in
the New Town, is adapted for 1200 persons, and contains about 500 free sittings: net income, £180; patron, the Bishop of London. The principal dissenters'
places of worship are those for Wesleyans, Independents,
and the Connexion of the Countess of Huntingdon.
The Protestant dissenters' charity school at the New
Town was founded in 1785: in 1822, Mr. Michael Pantin bequeathed £1000 three per cent. consols. for the
support of this school; and a new meeting-house, two
schoolrooms, and six almshouses were erected from
funds left by him.
There are almshouses supported by a bequest of
£2250 from Benjamin Kenton, and consisting of apartments for twelve widows of freemen of the Vintners'
Company, who receive about £36 per annum each; a
chaplain has a salary of £52. 10. per annum. The
houses erected by the Brethren of the Trinity-house comprise twelve sets of apartments, with a handsome chapel
in the centre. Francis Bancroft gave by will in 1727, in
trust to the Drapers' Company, property then valued at
£28,000, to found and endow twenty-four almshouses,
and a school for 100 boys: the buildings, which were
completed in 1736, consist of two parallel rows of
houses, with a central range containing a chapel, a
schoolroom, and other apartments; and the income is
more than £4000 per annum. Twelve houses were
established in 1592, by John Fuller, with an endowment
of £50 per annum, for single men; and there are also
houses for four women, founded in 1698, by John Pemel;
and eight houses founded by Thomas Baker, Esq., for
widows. At Mile-End Old Town is the Jews' hospital
for aged poor, and the education and employment of
youth, established in 1806, and enlarged in 1818; and
nearly opposite to it is the Spanish and Portuguese
Jews' hospital, instituted in 1747, for sick poor, lying-in
women, and as an asylum for the aged. On the north
side of the high road are two large cemeteries belonging
to the Portuguese Jews, and a third belonging to the
German or Dutch Jews, in which are interred several of
the Rabbins and other distinguished Jews.
Mileham (St. John the Baptist)
MILEHAM (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in
the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of
Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 11 miles (N. N.
E.) from Swaffham; containing 532 inhabitants. This
place, at the time of the Conquest, was given to Alan,
son of Flaald, and ancestor of the Fitz-Alans, earls of
Arundel, who erected a strong castle here, of which
some vestiges may still be traced, within the area of an
intrenchment of twelve acres; the site of the keep is
pointed out by an inner intrenchment by which it was
surrounded. The parish comprises 2851a. 20p., of
which 1967 acres are arable, 706 meadow and pasture,
and 153 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £11. 1. 10½., and in the gift and incumbency of the Rev. C. Barnwell, of Mileham Hall:
the tithes have been commuted for £645. 15., and the
glebe comprises 19 acres, with a small house. The
church is a handsome structure in the decorated and
later English styles, with a square embattled tower, and
a Norman arch at the southern entrance; in the churchyard is a lofty cross. There is a place of worship for
Primitive Methodists. Twenty-six acres of common
were allotted to the poor for fuel, on the inclosure of the
parish in 1812. Sir Edward Coke, lord chief justice of
the king's bench, was born here.
MILFIELD, a township, in the parish of KirkNewton, union of Glendale, W. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 5¾
miles (N. W.) from Wooler; containing 225 inhabitants. This was the residence of the Saxon kings of
Bernicia, after the death of Edwin. The township is
bounded on the north-east by the river Till, and
comprises about 1630 acres, of which 1350 are arable,
250 pasture, and 30 woodland: the soil is light, with a
whinstone substratum; the surface is undulated, and the
scenery embraces fine prospects of the Cheviot hills and
the sea. The Newcastle and Edinburgh road passes
through the village. The impropriate tithes have been
commuted for £265. 12., and the vicarial for £46. 4.
Under an immense heap of stones, supposed by some to
have been raised by the Britons, a Roman urn, containing ashes and burnt bones, was discovered in the year