Milton (St. Blaise)
MILTON (St. Blaise), a parish, in the union of
Abingdon, hundred of Ock, county of Berks, 3½ miles
(S. by W.) from Abingdon; containing 466 inhabitants.
It comprises 1442a. 15p., of which 979 acres are arable, 366 pasture, and 57 woodland; the surface is hilly
towards the north, and more level towards the south.
The manor-house was built by Inigo Jones. The
Great Western railway passes through the parish. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£17. 9. 7., and in the gift of the Dean and Canons of
Christ-Church, Oxford. The Rev. J. G. Warner, late
rector, gave about £60 per annum for education.
Milton (All Saints)
MILTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Chesterton, hundred of Northstow, county of Cambridge, 3½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Cambridge; containing 452 inhabitants, and comprising 1378a. 2r. 4p.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £9. 3. 1½., and in the patronage of King's
College, Cambridge; net income, £485; there is a glebe
of 36 acres. The church is a neat edifice in the later
English style, with some earlier details.
MILTON, a hamlet, in the township and parish of
Weaverham, union of Northwich, Second division of
the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of the county of
Chester, 4 miles (W. by N.) from the town of Northwich; containing 25 inhabitants.
MILTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Prittlewell,
union and hundred of Rochford, S. division of Essex,
¾ of a mile (S. by E.) from Prittlewell. The hamlet was
once a distinct parish, but being encroached on by the
sea, the church was destroyed: some remains of the
building may be seen at low water. Here are fine beds
Milton, or Middleton-Malzor (Holy Cross)
MILTON, or Middleton-Malzor (Holy Cross), a
parish, in the union of Hardingstone, hundred of
Wymmersley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 3½ miles (S. by W.) from Northampton; containing 607 inhabitants. This parish, consisting of 1445
acres, is situated on the road from Northampton to Oxford; and the Grand Junction canal, and the London and
Birmingham railway, pass in the immediate vicinity:
the Blisworth station of the latter is distant one mile.
A few men are employed in the shoe-trade, and the
women in making lace. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £16. 15. 10.; patron, Thomas
Kershaw, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land in
1780; the glebe altogether comprises 202 acres, valued
at £434 a year. The church is a neat structure, repaired
in 1838, and has an ancient circular window: there are
19 acres of land for keeping it in repair. Here is a place
of worship for Baptists.
MILTON, a hamlet, in the parish of West Markham, union of East Retford, South Clay division of
the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county
of Nottingham, ½ a mile (N. W.) of the village of Markham; containing 73 inhabitants. This place, called also
Milneton, stands on an eminence on the east bank of
the Idle river, and derives its name from an ancient mill
which long since disappeared.
MILTON, a chapelry, in the parish of East Adderbury, union of Banbury, hundred of Bloxham, county
of Oxford, 3 miles (S.) from Banbury; containing 168
inhabitants, and comprising 800 acres. The chapel,
dedicated to St. John, has been demolished.
MILTON, a township, in the parish of Shiptonunder-Whichwood, union of Chipping-Norton, hundred of Chadlington, county of Oxford, 3¼ miles (N.
by E.) from Burford; with 660 inhabitants.
MILTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Martock,
union of Yeovil, hundred of Martock, W. division of
Somerset; containing 124 inhabitants.
MILTON, a tything, in the out-parish of St. Cuthbert, city and union of Wells, hundred of WellsForum, E. division of the county of Somerset; containing 41 inhabitants.
Milton (St. Mary Magdalene)
MILTON (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the
union of Lymington, hundred of Christchurch,
Lymington and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4¾ miles (E. by N.) from Christchurch; containing, with the tythings of Ashley and Chewton, 1185
inhabitants. The parish comprises 5348 acres, of which
513 are common or waste land; it is situated about
midway between the towns of Christchurch and Lymington, and is bounded on the south by Christchurch
bay. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage
of the Vicar of Milford, with a net income of £120.
The church was rebuilt in 1832, at an expense of £1400.
There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents,
and Wesleyans; and a national school.
Milton-Abbas (St. Mary and St. Sampson)
MILTON-ABBAS (St. Mary and St. Sampson), a
parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of
Blandford, hundred of Whiteway, Blandford division
of Dorset, 7 miles (S. W. by W.) from Blandford; containing 833 inhabitants. The present appellation of this
place is a contraction of its ancient name of Middleton,
implying its central situation in the county; the adjunct
is derived from its lords, the abbots. A Benedictine
monastery was founded here, in the year 933, by King
Athelstan, and dedicated to the honour of St. Mary, St.
Michael, St. Sampson, and St. Branwalader; the revenue
at the Dissolution was valued at £720. 4. 1. The conventual buildings, with the exception of the ancient hall,
were taken down in 1771, and replaced by the present
splendid mansion called Milton Abbey, erected from a
design by Sir William Chambers, in the later English
style. An old chapel here, dedicated to St. Catherine,
has long been desecrated. In 1658 the upper part of
the town was destroyed by fire, and a brief was granted
for rebuilding it in 1661. The living is a discharged
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; net income,
£127; patron and impropriator, Mrs. Damer. The
abbey church, which stood northward of the abbey, was
destroyed by lightning on September 2nd, 1309, but
was handsomely rebuilt, with the exception of the
nave, in the reign of Edward II., and is now used as
the private chapel of the Damer family. The present
parish church was built at the expense of the first earl
of Dorchester. An almshouse for six persons was
founded and endowed by John Tregonwell, Esq., in
Milton-Abbot (St. Constantine)
MILTON-ABBOT (St. Constantine), a parish, in
the union and hundred of Tavistock, Tavistock and S.
divisions of Devon, 6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Tavistock; containing 1256 inhabitants. In this parish,
which is watered by the river Tamar, is the Anglo-Swiss
domain of the Duke of Bedford, distinguished for its
beautiful scenery and landscape gardening. The living
is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £19. 13. 6½.;
patron and impropriator, the Duke of Bedford. The
great tithes have been commuted for £384, and the
vicarial for £416; the glebe comprises 62 acres.
Milton-Bryant (St. Peter)
MILTON-BRYANT (St. Peter), a parish, in the
union of Woburn, hundred of Manshead, county of
Bedford, 2¾ miles (S. E.) from the town of Woburn;
containing 382 inhabitants. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £11. 16. 3., and in the
patronage of the Crown; net income, £331.
Milton-Chapel (St. Nicholas)
MILTON-CHAPEL (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the
union of Bridge, hundred of Westgate, lathe of St.
Augustine, E. division of Kent, 2½ miles (S. W. by W.)
from Canterbury. The parish contains only 10 inhabitants, and 330 acres of land. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 14. 4.;
net income, £70; patron, Matthew Bell, Esq.
Milton-Clevedon.—See Clevedon, Milton.
MILTON-CLEVEDON.—See Clevedon, Milton.
Milton-Damerell (Holy Trinity)
MILTON-DAMERELL (Holy Trinity), a parish,
in the union of Holsworthy, hundred of Black Torrington, Holsworthy and N. divisions of Devon, 5½
miles (N. E. by N.) from Holsworthy; containing 813
inhabitants. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual
curacy of Cookbury annexed, valued in the king's books
at £26. 13. 6½., and in the gift of the Earl of Devon:
the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of
£315, and the glebe comprises 75 acres.
Milton-Ernest (All Saints)
MILTON-ERNEST (All Saints), a parish, forming,
with Clapham and Oakley, a detached portion of the
hundred of Stodden, in the union and county of Bedford, 5 miles (N. W. by N.) from Bedford; containing
446 inhabitants. It is situated on the Ouse, and comprises 1333a. 1r. 17p., of which 740 acres are arable,
510 pasture and meadow, and about 53 woodland; the
soil near the river is rich. The surface is undulated.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£7. 6. 8.; net income, £285; patron, C. Turnor, Esq.;
impropriators, the trustees under the will of Sir E.
Turnor, for the benefit of the vicar: the tithes were
commuted for land and a money payment in 1803. The
church is an ancient structure of mixed styles, the
tower in the Norman, and the nave and chancel in the
later English. An almshouse for six persons was founded
in 1693, by Sir E. Turnor, who endowed it with lands
now producing about £40 per annum.
Milton, Great (St. Mary)
MILTON, GREAT (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Thame, partly in the hundred of Bullingdon,
but chiefly in that of Thame, county of Oxford, 4 miles
(W. by N.) from Tetsworth; containing, with the hamlets
of Ascott and Chilworth, and exclusively of Little Milton, 737 inhabitants. This place is noticed in the
Domesday survey as Midelton; it had a priory of monks,
which, according to Leland, was a cell to the monastery
of Abingdon. The parish comprises by computation
4430 acres: in 1840 an act was passed for inclosing
1300 acres. The living is a vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £15, and in the gift of the Bishop of
Oxford; the great tithes have been commuted for £850,
and the vicarial for £185. The church is a venerable
structure in the later English style, with a massive
square embattled tower; the exterior is highly enriched,
and there are some handsome monuments. A parochial
school is partly supported by an allowance of £22 from
a bequest by John J. Kent, Esq.
Milton or Middleton Keynes (All Saints)
MILTON or MIDDLETON KEYNES (All Saints),
a parish, in the union of Newport-Pagnell, hundred
of Newport, county of Buckingham, 3½ miles (S. by
E.) from Newport-Pagnell; containing 327 inhabitants.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£20, and in the gift of G. Finch, Esq.: the tithes have
been commuted for £480, and the glebe comprises 42
acres. The southern porch of the church has an ancient
open-work screen on each side, and the windows of the
building are of elegant design. Dr. Francis Atterbury,
Bishop of Rochester, was born here in 1662, during the
incumbency of his father. Dr. Babingdon was also a
native; and Dr. William Wotton, a learned divine, critic,
and historian, the author of Reflections on Ancient and
Modern Learning, was rector from 1693 till his death in
Milton-Lilborne (St. Peter)
MILTON-LILBORNE (St. Peter), a parish, in the
union of Pewsey, hundred of Kinwardstone, Everley
and Pewsey, and S. divisions of Wilts, 1½ mile (E. by
N.) from Pewsey; containing, with the tything of
Clinch, 709 inhabitants. The living is a discharged
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 13. 6.; net
income, £111; patrons, the Gale family.
MILTON, LITTLE, an ancient parish, in the union
and hundred of Thame, county of Oxford, 5 miles (W.)
from Tetsworth; containing 482 inhabitants. A district
church has been erected, and the place is now considered
to be within the limits of the civil parish of Great Milton: the living is in the Vicar's gift.
Milton-Next-Gravesend (St. Peter and St. Paul)
MILTON-NEXT-GRAVESEND (St. Peter and
St. Paul), a parish, forming a union with Gravesend,
in the hundred of Toltingtrough, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent; including part of the town
of Gravesend (which see), and containing 9256 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the river
Thames, and comprises 485a. 3r., of which 361 acres
are arable, 88 pasture, and 30 woodland. It has a fair
commencing on the festival of the Conversion of St.
Paul, and continuing a week. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £16. 5. 10., and in the
patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Rochester,
the former having two turns, and the latter one turn;
net income, £359. Over the porch of the church is a
curious dial, constructed by Mr. Giles, master of Gravesend school; within the church are painted the crests
of the kings of England, from Edward III. to James I.
An episcopal chapel, dedicated to St. John, was erected
in 1834, for Milton and Gravesend. In 1845 a district
named the Holy Trinity, Milton, was formed by the
Ecclesiastical Commission: the church is in the pointed
style, and cost £4500; of 1000 sittings, 600 are free.
The living is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop,
alternately; net income, £150. Here was a free chapel
or hospital, under the government of Regular friars.
Milton-Next-Sittingbourne (Holy Trinity)
MILTON-NEXT-SITTINGBOURNE (Holy Trinity), a market-town and parish, and the head of a
union, in the hundred of Milton, Upper division of the
lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 12 miles (N. E.
by E.) from Maidstone, and 40 (E. by S.) from London;
containing 2538 inhabitants. This town was anciently
called Middletun, a Saxon appellation indicative of its
central position in the county; and also "the King's
Town of Milton," having probably been the residence of
the kings of Kent, as well as subsequently a part of the
demesne of the crown. Its proximity to the Swale,
which separates the Isle of Sheppy from the main land,
rendered it easily accessible to the invading Danes, by
whom it was frequently plundered in the ninth century.
Here their veteran chief, Hastings, attempted to establish himself, in the time of Alfred; and the remains of
his encampment or fortress in the marshes of Kemsley,
between Milton church and the north end of the creek,
are still visible. The ancient town was burnt by Earl
Godwin, about the year 1052; but it appears to have
been rebuilt, and to have become a place of importance
in the time of the Conqueror, who, according to Domesday book, held the manor, which for a long while afterwards was vested in the crown, and was frequently
bestowed in dower upon the queens of England. From
Isabella, consort of Edward II., the grant of a market,
and of an annual fair for four days, was obtained.
The town is situated about half a mile from the road
between London and Dovor. In the first year of the
present reign, an act for paving, lighting, and watching
it, received the royal assent; the streets have been repaved in a superior style, at a very considerable expense,
and other improvements have been effected. From the
town to the river Swale is a navigable river called Milton
Creek. The business consists chiefly in shipping the
agricultural produce of the neighbourhood for the London
market, and in bringing goods in return. The oysterfishery affords employment to a great number of the
inhabitants. The oysters sent to London under the
well-known name of "Milton Natives," from the extensive fisheries here, are generally brought from other
places, and deposited in the Milton grounds until they
arrive at a proper state of maturity; they are esteemed
the finest and best-flavoured of any in Europe. The
numerous flour-mills, also, contribute to the trade and
intercourse with the neighbouring parishes. A portreeve for the hundreds of Milton and Marden, who is
supervisor of weights and measures, is chosen on July
25th, being St. James' day, by such of the inhabitants
as pay church and poor rates, at a court baron held
before the steward of the manor. The manor courts
and public meetings are held at the court-hall, under
which is the town gaol. The parish comprises 2556a.
2r. 9p., whereof 34 acres are under wood.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£13. 2. 6.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and
Chapter of Canterbury: the great tithes have been
commuted for £795, and the vicarial for £362. 10.;
the glebe contains 1½ acre. The church, situated a mile
from the town, is large and handsome, with portions in
the decorated English style, and a heavy embattled
tower built of square flints; around the north and east
sides of the churchyard is a double row of beautiful
trees, forming, with the striking exterior of the church,
a most picturesque scene. Here are places of worship
for Independents and Wesleyans. A free school is
endowed with £10 per annum; there is also a bequest
by the late William Hopson, Esq., in 1817, of £800 three
per cent. reduced bank annuities, chiefly for education.
The poor-law union of Milton comprises 18 parishes or
places, containing a population of 11,493: the workhouse is a massive brick building, near the town, erected
at a cost of about £6000. The remains of the Danish
fortress at Kemsleydown form a square, surrounded by
a high vallum and a broad ditch; being overgrown
by trees and underwood, it has received the appellation
of Castle-rough. A raised causeway, which formerly
communicated with the sea-shore, may be still distinctly
Milton-Podimore.—See Podimore, Milton.
MILTON-PODIMORE.—See Podimore, Milton.
MILTON, SOUTH, a parish, in the union of Kingsbridge, hundred of Stanborough, Stanborough and
Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 2¾ miles (W. S. W.)
from Kingsbridge; containing 475 inhabitants. It
comprises by measurement 1425 acres: the soil is
fertile, and the lands are principally arable; the surface
is hilly. The living is annexed, with the livings of
South Huish and Marlborough, to the vicarage of West
MILTON, WEST, a chapelry, in the parish and
liberty of Poorstock, union of Beaminster, though
locally in the hundred of Eggerton, Bridport division
of Dorset, 3¾ miles (N. E.) from Bridport; containing
244 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary.