MONCKTON, BISHOP'S, a chapelry, in the parish
and liberty of Ripon, W. riding of York, 3 miles
(S. S. E.) from Ripon; containing 460 inhabitants.
The parish is on the road to Knaresborough, and comprises by admeasurement 2092 acres, of which about
1400 are arable, and the remainder pasture, with a small
portion of woodland. The village is pleasantly situated
on a small rivulet, on the banks of which are two flaxmills. The chapel, dedicated to St. John, was rebuilt
in 1822, and contains 180 sittings. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £98; patrons, the Dean and
Chapter of Ripon, whose tithes here have been commuted for £46. 10., and certain impropriate tithes for
£296. 11. There are places of worship for Wesleyans
and Methodists of the New Connexion.
Monckton-Deverhill, in the county of Wilts.—See Deverhill, Monckton.
MONCKTON-DEVERHILL, in the county of Wilts.
—See Deverhill, Monckton.
Monckton, Tarrant (All Saints)
MONCKTON, TARRANT (All Saints), a parish, in
the union of Blandford, hundred of Monckton-upWimborne, Wimborne division of Dorset, 4¼ miles
(E. N. E.) from Blandford; containing 246 inhabitants.
This place derived its name from a monastic establishment which existed here, and the adjunct denotes its
situation on the river Tarrant. The parish is in a valley;
the soil is light and chalky, and the chief agricultural
produce is wheat, barley, and turnips. The living is a
discharged vicarage, with that of Tarrant-Launceston
annexed, valued in the king's books at £17. 16. 8.; net
income, £55; patron and impropriator, J. J. Farquharson, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for £500,
and who has a glebe of 56 acres. There are 2½ acres of
MONCKTON-UP-WIMBORNE, a tything, in the
parish and hundred of Cranborne (though locally in
the hundred of Monckton-up-Wimborne), union of
Wimborne and Cranborne, Wimborne division of
Dorset, 2 miles (W.) from Cranborne; containing,
with the hamlets of Oakley and Bellows-Cross, 113
inhabitants. The river Allen has its source here.
Monckton-Combe.—See Combe, Monckton.
MONCKTON-COMBE.—See Combe, Monckton.
Monewden (St. Mary)
MONEWDEN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Plomesgate, hundred of Loes, E. division of Suffolk, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from Wickham-Market; containing 220 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £8. 13. 4., and in the gift of
A. Arcedeckne, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted
for £277, and the glebe comprises 55 acres. The
church, a handsome structure in the later English
style, with a square embattled tower, is situated on an
eminence, and forms a conspicuous object.
MONEYLAWS, a township, in the parish of Carham, union of Glendale, W. division of Glendale
ward, N. division of Northumberland, 4½ miles
(S. E. by S.) from Coldstream. It includes Old Moneylaws, and comprises about 850 acres, all arable land,
with the exception of a few acres of grass; the soil is
principally loam, and the surface mountainous, with extensive and beautiful prospects. The great tithes have
been commuted for £161, and those of the incumbent
for £28. In the Castle field here are the remains of a
Mongeham, Great (St. Martin)
MONGEHAM, GREAT (St. Martin), a parish, in
the union of Eastry, hundred of Cornilo, lathe of St.
Augustine, E. division of Kent, 2 miles (W. S. W.)
from Deal; containing 286 inhabitants. It comprises
874 acres; the surface is varied, and the scenery generally of pleasing character. There is a large brewing
and malting establishment. A market granted by
Henry III. has long been discontinued; but a fair for
cattle and pedlery is still held, on the 29th of October.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£18. 5., and in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury:
the tithes have been commuted for £499. 15., and the
glebe comprises 1½ acre. The church is a large handsome structure, in the early English style.
MONGEHAM, LITTLE, a parish, in the union of
Eastry, hundred of Cornilo, lathe of St. Augustine,
E. division of Kent, 3½ miles (W. S. W.) from the town
of Deal; containing 100 inhabitants. It comprises
1142 acres, of which 1089 are arable, 40 meadow, and
13 woodland. The living is a discharged rectory, with
the perpetual curacy of Sutton consolidated in 1835,
valued in the king's books at £5. 15.; net income, £371;
patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. There is a
churchyard, but no church.
Mongewell (St. John the Baptist)
MONGEWELL (St. John the Baptist), a parish,
in the union of Wallingford, hundred of Langtree,
county of Oxford, 1½ mile (S.) from Wallingford;
containing 202 inhabitants. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 4½., and in the gift
of Dr. Barrington: the tithes have been commuted for
£370, and the glebe contains 6 acres. The church has
some portions in the Norman style.
Monk-Bretton, county of York.—See Bretton, Monk.
MONK-BRETTON, county of York.—See Bretton, Monk.—And all places having a similar distinguishing prefix will be found under the proper name.
Monken-Hadley.—See Hadley, Monken.
MONKEN-HADLEY.—See Hadley, Monken.
MONKHILL, a township, in the parish of Pontefract, Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of the county of York; containing
48 inhabitants. It is a very small township (of about
four acres) adjoining the town of Pontefract on the east
of the Castle hill, and was anciently the grange and
homestead of St. John's Priory.
MONKHOUSE, an extra-parochial place, in the
union of Berwick-upon-Tweed, in Islandshire, N.
division of Northumberland; containing 16 inhabitants.
Monkland (All Saints)
MONKLAND (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Leominster, hundred of Stretford, county of
Hereford, 2½ miles (W. S. W.) from Leominster; containing 184 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded
by the river Arrow, comprises by computation 1032
acres; the soil is a stiff clay on the higher portions, but
lighter and richer in the lower parts. The road from
Leominster to Hay passes through. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 0. 9.,
and in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Windsor:
the tithes have been commuted for £250, and the glebe
comprises 3 acres. The church, with the manor, was
given by Ralph Tony in the time of William Rufus to
the abbey of Conches, in Normandy, when a cell of
Benedictine monks was established here, the possessions
of which, at the suppression, were granted to the Dean
and Canons of Windsor.
Monkleigh (St. George)
MONKLEIGH (St. George), a parish, in the union
of Bideford, hundred of Shebbear, Great Torrington
and N. divisions of Devon, 2¾ miles (W. N. W.) from
Great Torrington, on the road to Bideford; containing
699 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the river
Torridge, which separates it from the parishes of Great
Torrington and Wear-Giffard. The prevailing soil is a
brown loam, resting upon clay; in the southern extremity
of the parish is a narrow vein of red land, about a quarter
of a mile broad, stretching from east to west. There is
a considerable portion of rich woodland, which contributes greatly to embellish the scenery. A small canal
belonging to the Rolle family, commencing from the
point where the Torridge ceases to be navigable, passes
through the parish to Great Torrington, affording conveyance for limestone, which is burnt into lime in several
kilns here. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £12. 14. 7., and has a net income of £150:
about two-thirds of the great tithes belong to Miss Saltren, who has the patronage; and the remainder to the
barton and manor of Annery. The church contains
some interesting monuments, among which is one to the
memory of Chief Justice Sir William Hankford, who is
said to have been accidentally killed at this place, in
1422, by his park-keeper.
MONKRIDGE-WARD, a township, in the parish
of Elsdon, union of Rothbury, S. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 8 miles
(N. E.) from Bellingham; containing 111 inhabitants.
About the year 1242, Munkeriche was held of Gilbert de
Umfraville by Maria de Munkeriche and Roger Dun, by
drengage service; in 1398, Maud, widow of Gilbert de
Umfraville, died seised of the place. Queen Elizabeth
had lands here in 1568; and subsequently to this period,
property has been possessed in the ward by the families
of Hall, Howard, Potts, and Orde. Within the limits of
the district is the estate of Ottercops, comprising 2415
acres, and of which mention occurs in the records of
about the time of Henry II. The township is on the
east of the river Rede, and south of the road between
Elsdon and Elishaw Bridge; and comprises altogether
by measurement 5450 acres, whereof about 254 are
arable, 20 wood, and the remainder pasture, which is
good by the river side; the rest of the pasture land is
uninclosed. The hamlet stands on the south side of
MONKSEATON, a township, in the parish and union
of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division
of the county of Northumberland, 3 miles (N. W.)
from Tynemouth; containing 581 inhabitants. The
township comprises 1238 acres of arable land; the soil
is a good loam, and the subsoil clay. A colliery was
opened in 1819, and coal is wrought in considerable
quantity, and conveyed from the pit near Whitley by a
railway to the lower part of Shields, whence it is exported; there is also a portion of Whitley lime-quarry
in the township. The impropriate tithes have been
commuted for £298. Here is a place of worship for
Wesleyans. On Monkhouse farm are the remains of a
stone, called the Monk's stone, with this inscription, "O
horror, to kill a man for a pig's head!" concerning
which a curious tradition prevails. A monk of Tynemouth, it is said, was scourged on the spot by a Mr.
Delaval for having cut off a pig's head whilst roasting in
the kitchen of the latter; and dying within a year and
a day, his brethren fixed a charge of murder on Mr.
Delaval, who, in order to obtain absolution, assigned to
the monastery the manor of Elswick and other estates,
and erected an obelisk on the spot where he chastised
Monks-Eleigh (St. Peter)
MONKS-ELEIGH (St. Peter), a parish, in the
union of Cosford, hundred of Babergh, W. division
of Suffolk, 2¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Bildeston; containing 732 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 2040 acres. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, valued in the
king's books at £14. 18. 11½.; net income, £422. The
tithes have been commuted for £146, and there are 30
acres of glebe. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also some almshouses, built and endowed by Mr.
Edmund Colman, in 1731.
Monksilver (All Saints)
MONKSILVER (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Williton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 10 miles (S. E.) from
Minehead; containing, with the hamlet of Woodford,
308 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises by admeasurement 1000 acres, is situated in a narrow vale,
remarkable for its fertility. The meadows are exceedingly rich, from the facility of irrigating them, at all
seasons of the year, with water which brings with it
down the declivities a considerable quantity of the upland soil. A stone-quarry here affords good materials
for repairing roads. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £9. 8. 1½., and in the gift of the
Dean and Canons of Windsor: the tithes have been
commuted for £210, and the glebe comprises 35 acres;
a glebe-house was built in 1838. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style.
Monks-Path or Monks-Riding
MONKS-PATH, or Monks-Riding, a liberty, in
the parish of Tanworth, union of Solihull, Warwick
division of the hundred of Kington, county of Warwick, 7½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Birmingham. It is
situated on the road between Birmingham and Warwick,
and contains 87 acres of land.
MONKSTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Great
Steeping, poor-law union of Spilsby, Wold division of
the wapentake of Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey,
county of Lincoln; containing 54 inhabitants.
MONKSTON, a parish, in the union and hundred
of Andover, Andover and N. divisions of the county of
Southampton, 3¾ miles (W.) from the town of Andover; containing 293 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 12. 11., and in
the gift of King's College, Cambridge: the tithes have
been commuted for £340, and the glebe comprises 69
MONKSWOOD, an extra-parochial liberty, in the
union of Pont-y-Pool, division and hundred of Usk,
county of Monmouth, 2¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from
the town of Usk; containing 166 inhabitants. The
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £69; patron
and impropriator, the Duke of Beaufort.